It’s like how all the major tech/science guys in the 90s were named Steve. Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, Steve Hawking, Steve Pinker, Steve Weinberg, Steve Gould
Comment by Well-Beered Englishman — March 28, 2013 @ 11:48 am
Can someone explain to me like I’m five years old why FIP with IFFB is being incorporated into WAR, but why ‘generic FIP’ will remain unchanged? If this is an improvement to FIP, why only include it in WAR? I’d rather see ‘generic FIP’ include IFFB, or at least have ifFIP available separately.
This change greatly hurts pitchers who dont necessarily induce ‘infield flies’ but a lot of high flyballs to the shallow outfield, because all those near-guarantee outs aren’t being considered like they should be. It would have been better to withhold this update until you can use fieldFX calculations to determine if a flyball is an automatic out–not an arbitrary definition that changes depending on the weather, game scorer, and whether or not the infield lines are painted on the field. A blooper that stays in the infield has to be dived after to be caught is anything but a sure out, yet it gets counted nonetheless.
Comment by Jeff Francoeur — March 28, 2013 @ 2:56 pm
Somewhat related… I just found myself trying to explain to a Royals fan how Shields is better than he looked in 2012 and not quite as good as he seemed in 2011… but probably somewhere in between. I had a screenshot of his player profile and said “f it” and deleted the whole e-mail.
Well your first question was why they aren’t changing generic FIP, then you asked that again with different phrasing, then you requested it again, and then you threw in “the question” at the end there as a less desirable alternative. But as to that minor point of your original comment, sure, they could offer it separately.
Don’t forget to remove in field flies from UZR (if they were ever there), otherwise there is double credit going around in the WAR statistics. I assume this hasn’t been done because I don’t see it mentioned in the UZR changes. Please correct me if I’m mistaken.
Comment by Andre the Angels Fan — March 28, 2013 @ 7:19 pm
This, or I’m misunderstanding what happened.
Comment by Andre the Angels Fan — March 28, 2013 @ 7:24 pm
“Batters are given 57% of all total WAR with pitchers receiving the remaining 43%. ”