Table of Contents
Here’s the table of contents for today’s edition of the Daily Notes.
Statistical Update on 2013’s First-Round Picks
The Purpose of This Post
The purpose of this post is to announce that the author has updated the custom leaderboard featuring every first-round pick from the most recent draft both to have signed and also played for an affiliate of the relevant drafting team.
New Additions to the Leaderboard
Here are the players who’ve been added to the leaderboard since the first iteration of same in late June (sorted by order picked in draft):
• Mark Appel, RHP, Houston
• Kohl Stewart, RHP, Minnesota
• Clint Frazier, OF, Cleveland
• Dominic Smith, 1B, New York NL
• Reese Mcguire, C, Pittsburgh
• Braden Shipley, RHP, Arizona
• J.P. Crawford, SS, Philadelphia
• Chris Anderson, RHP, Los Angeles NL
• Jonathon Crawford, RHP, Detroit
• Nick Ciuffo, C, Tampa Bay
• Christian Arroyo, SS, San Francisco
• Eric Jagielo, 3B, New York AL
• Rob Kaminsky, LHP, St. Louis
• Jason Hursh, RHP, Atlanta
Hyperlink to the Leaderboard in Question
Click this hyperlinked text to view the updated version of the first-rounders batting leaderboard (sorted by weighted runs above average), and this other hyperlinked text for the pitching leaderboard (sorted by FIP).
• The leaderboard now contains 20 of the 33 first-round picks from the most recent draft.
• Yankees draftee, third baseman Eric Jagielo, is the only player among this year’s first-round picks to have played at two levels thus far. After having been assigned initially to the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League, Jagielo was promoted shortly thereafter to Staten Island of the Low-A New York-Penn League.
• The highest level to which any of this year’s first-round draftees has ascended is Class A. Tim Anderson (SS, Chicago AL) and Jason Hursh (RHP, Atlanta) are playing in the Sally League; Chris Anderson (RHP, Los Angeles NL), in the Midwest.
Today’s MLB.TV Free Game
Houston at St. Louis | 20:15 ET
Bud Norris (109.0 IP, 108 xFIP-, 2.1 WAR) faces Adam Wainwright (133.2 IP, 72 xFIP-, 4.4 WAR). Of note: after years of posting walk rates in about the 6-7% range, Wainwright has recorded just a 2.5% mark this season. Of other note: Houston appears recently to have promoted outfielder Marc Krauss. In 213 Triple-A plate appearances, the 25-year-old Krauss had recorded a 43:45 walk-to-strikeout ratio and nine home runs.
Readers’ Preferred Broadcast: St. Louis Radio.
Today’s Complete Schedule
Here’s the complete schedule for all of today’s games, with our very proprietary watchability (NERD) scores for each one. Pitching probables and game times aggregated from MLB.com and RotoWire. The average NERD Game Score for today is 5.7.
Note: the following table is entirely sortable.
|James Shields||KC||6||6||6||3||7||NYA||CC Sabathia||19:05|
|Dan Straily||OAK||6||6||7||7||9||PIT||Gerrit Cole||19:05|
|Martin Perez||TEX||8||4||5||9||1||BAL||Zach Britton||19:05|
|Josh Johnson||TOR||7||6||6||8||4||CLE||U. Jimenez||19:05|
|Taylor Jordan*||PHI||6||1||6||1||8||PHI||Cole Hamels||19:05|
|Jose Quintana||CHA||5||1||6||7||8||DET||J. Verlander||19:08|
|Julio Teheran||ATL||8||8||7||1||8||MIA||H. Alvarez*||19:10|
|Kyle Gibson*||MIN||7||3||6||10||4||TB||Chris Archer||19:10|
|Joe Blanton||LAA||7||6||5||4||4||CHN||Travis Wood||20:05|
|Tony Cingrani||CIN||8||3||6||4||5||MIL||Wily Peralta||20:10|
|Bud Norris||HOU||3||2||5||4||9||STL||A. Wainwright||20:15|
|Ricky Nolasco||LAN||5||2||4||2||4||AZ||Ian Kennedy||21:40|
|Allen Webster||BOS||6||8||7||5||8||SEA||H. Iwakuma||22:10|
|Jhoulys Chacin||COL||4||8||5||7||3||SD||Eric Stults||22:10|
|Dillon Gee||NYN||6||7||4||6||1||SF||Barry Zito||22:15|
Print This Post