The New York Yankees organization is accepting applications for an experienced SQL developer in their Baseball Operations department. This position reports to the senior Baseball Operations staff and will assist in the development of database systems which integrate with existing baseball analytics tools and web-applications as part of our player information and evaluation platform.
• Analyze business requirements and design reports using stored procedures to support our front office baseball applications
• Perform data integrity checks between systems to identify duplicate records, incorrect imports or data mapping issues
• Setting up ETL operations to import and normalize data from different data providers
• Performance tuning of SQL objects and queries
• Working with major and minor league pitch, hit and player tracking datasets, college and other amateur data, international baseball data, and many other baseball data sources
Qualifications and Experience:
• Must have 3-5 years experience developing in T-SQL
• Deep experience developing stored procedures, CRUD operations and advanced data manipulation skills with T-SQL (CTEs, pivots, temp tables, XML)
• Ability to design and layout a database schema from scratch, including table objects, constraints, indexes, foreign keys, triggers, etc.
• Experience in ETL operations, specifically loading data via different techniques, including bulk loading using BCP operations
• Experience performance tuning of queries and database objects, including things like table partitioning, index tuning, query hints, locking, schema normalization, etc. Ability to utilize SQL Profiler and a thorough understanding of execution plans is a must
• Excellent communication and problem solving skills – must be able to breakdown a complex task and put together an execution strategy with little guidance
• An understanding of typical baseball data structures, basic and advanced baseball metrics, and knowledge of current baseball research areas
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server Database administration tasks including backups, maintenance plans, replication, security.
• Experience developing CLR user-defined functions and aggregates
• .NET development experience in C#, primarily as it relates to the data access layer, including things like nHibernate, Microsoft.Practices and/or other ORM tools
• Experience with SSIS and PowerShell
• Unit testing in SQL
• MCSA/MCSE Certification preferred, but not required
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee. The New York Yankees is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.
Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Do you have 3+ years experience writing in T-SQL? YES/NO
2. If Yes, describe when you would use a CTE vs. a temp table in your work?
3. Have you used SQL Profiler or execution plans to analyze performance bottlenecks in your code? YES/NO
4. If Yes, describe briefly how you would approach the identification of a performance issue in a SQL query.
5. Have you ever used the bcp utility to bulk import data into a SQL database? YES/NO
Print This Post