Kansas City (7) at Cleveland (8) | 19:05 ET
This game has all the things to put a smile on your face — and also on other parts of your body, if that’s something you’re into.
• Felipe Paulino, pitching for the Royals, has been excellent since joining said team’s rotation at the beginning of June, producing this exact line: 60.2 IP, 8.75 K/9, 2.23 K/9, 48.8% GB, 2.99 SIERA, 3.23 xFIP, 82 xFIP-.
• Justin Masterson, pitching for the Indians, can throw all fastballs if he wants — and he doesn’t care what you or anyone thinks.
• The Royals (average batter age of 26.5) and Indians (28.0) are the youngest and fifth-youngest teams, respectively, in the league.
• The Indians, despite their youth — and the fifth-lowest opening-day payroll, as well — are only 2.5 games out of first place.
• People will/have come! Average attendance at Cleveland’s Progressive Field this season (per Baseball Reference): 21,158. Attendance last night (per MLB.com): 35,390.
Watch: Fox Sports Kansas City. (I say this with little authority, however. I know I’ve watched before and haven’t been gravely offended. And, as an aside, Royal broadcaster Ryan Lefebvre cites both lectio divina and Thomas Merton in this article from the National Catholic Register — which, regardless of your thoughts on religion, organized or otherwise, this suggests Lefebvre is probably the thoughtful, curious sort.)
Here’s the complete schedule for all of today’s games, with our very proprietary watchability (NERD) scores for each one. The average NERD Game Score for today is 5.7.
A note regarding these scores: the author found an error in the way that the Age variable was being calculated for Team NERD. If there appear to be any strange changes, then, this fix is probably why.
|Chris Tillman||BAL||1||3||4||5||7||NYA||Bartolo Colon||13:05|
|Derek Holland||TEX||7||8||8||6||10||TOR||Brad Mills*||13:07|
|Dan Haren||LAA||8||8||7||5||5||DET||Duane Below*||16:10|
|Rodrigo Lopez||CHN||3||1||4||7||4||STL||Kyle Lohse||16:10|
|Alex Cobb||TB||5||4||6||1||10||SEA||Michael Pineda||16:10|
|Zach Britton||BAL||5||3||4||5||3||NYA||Ivan Nova||19:05|
|Felipe Paulino||KC||10||7||8||8||7||CLE||Justin Masterson||19:05|
|R.A. Dickey||NYN||9||7||6||3||4||WAS||Jason Marquis||19:05|
|James McDonald||PIT||4||7||7||3||10||PHI||Cliff Lee||19:05|
|Jon Lester||BOS||7||5||6||6||4||CHA||Philip Humber||19:10|
|Anibal Sanchez||FL||9||5||7||5||6||ATL||Tim Hudson||19:10|
|J.A. Happ||HOU||2||4||5||9||7||MIL||Yovani Gallardo||19:10|
|Mad. Bumgarner||SF||10||4||7||6||6||CIN||Mike Leake||19:10|
|Ubaldo Jimenez||COL||7||4||5||4||4||SD||Aaron Harang||20:35|
|Nick Blackburn||MIN||4||2||2||1||0||OAK||Gu. Moscoso||21:05|
|Micah Owings*||AZ||5||9||6||3||6||LAN||Chad Billingsley||22:10|
NERD represents an attempt to anticipate the watchability of a game for the baseballing enthusiast.
To learn more about Pitcher NERD, click here and scroll down a little.
To learn more about latest Team NERD, click here.
To learn how Game NERD Scores are calculated, click here.
* = Fewer than 20 IP, NERD at discretion of very handsome author.
Pitching probables and game times aggregated from MLB.com and RotoWire.
Print This Post