- FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball - http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy -
Bullpen Report: July 5, 2012
Posted By Alan Harrison On July 6, 2012 @ 12:11 am In Bullpen Report | 8 Comments
• Minnesota Twins’ closer, Matt Capps, is scheduled to toss his first bullpen session this weekend since hitting the disabled list on June 24th with inflammation in his right shoulder. If Capps feels well after the bullpen session, he will head to Class-A Fort Myers to pitch an inning of rehab with the hopes of returning to the Twins at the conclusion of the All-Star Break.
• Addison Reed sat down the Rangers in order today, fanning two and inducing one fly ball to earn his 12th save of the season. Reed has been stellar in his last three outings — facing just one over the minimum — going 1-0 with two saves, yielding just one hit and zero walks while fanning three. I think the best has yet to come for Reed and you should still be able to get him for a reasonable price on the trade market if you’re in need.
• Although he has just two blown saves on the season, both of those blown saves have come in the last three save chances for Phillies’ closer, Jonathan Papelbon. Pap has struck out seven batters in his last five outings, but he’s also allowed six earned runs on nine hits and three walks. When looking further, Papelbon seems to be getting a bit unlucky on average on balls in play (.284 BABIP vs. .276 career) and is giving up 12.5 HR/FB, which is pretty awful. Lastly, it looks as if Papelbon has lost a tick in velocity on each of his three pitches since last season. I’m not an advocate of selling a pitcher on a slide, but if you’re getting inpatient, maybe an owner in need will look past the last five appearances and give you full value for the 18 saves and the name.
• Sergio Romo owners raised an eyebrow again this evening as they watched Santiago Casilla implode for the third time in his last four save opportunities. Casilla dished just two-thirds of an inning, surrendering two earned runs on two hits and a walk to earn both his fourth loss and blown save of the year. A bit more fuel to the Casilla fire: In his last seven trips to the hill, the Giants’ closer has pitched just 4.1 innings and allowed seven earned runs on 11 hits. For those of you chasing saves, you may want to consider adding Sergio Romo where available considering the excellent season he is having.
For those of you who play daily fantasy games like FanGraphs: The Game, or just like to stream players, here is a matchup you may be able to exploit.
A Pitcher for Tomorrow: Jason Grilli (PIT) vs. SFG
Joel Hanrahan has pitched in each of the last three days and could get some rest on Friday against the Giants. Jason Grilli could be a good bet to see a save chance should the Pirates be in position and you could at least look to get a few strikeouts from the righty who is currently sporting a 14.05 K/9 (3.4 K/BB).
|Arizona||J.J. Putz||David Hernandez||Bryan Shaw|
|Atlanta||Craig Kimbrel||Jonny Venters||Eric O’Flaherty|
|Baltimore||Jim Johnson||Pedro Strop||Darren O’Day|
|Boston||Alfredo Aceves||Andrew Miller||Mark Melancon||Andrew Bailey|
|Chicago (NL)||Carlos Marmol||James Russell||Shawn Camp|
|Chicago (AL)||Addison Reed||Matt Thornton||Hector Santiago|
|Cincy||Aroldis Chapman||Sean Marshall||Jose Arredondo|
|Cleveland||Chris Perez||Vinnie Pestano||Tony Sipp|
|Colorado||Rafael Betancourt||Matt Belisle||Matt Reynolds|
|Detroit||Jose Valverde||Joaquin Benoit||Octavio Dotel|
|Houston||Brett Myers||Brandon Lyon||Wilton Lopez|
|KC||Jonathan Broxton||Greg Holland||Aaron Crow|
|LAA||Ernesto Frieri||Scott Downs||Jordan Walden|
|LAD||Kenley Jansen||Josh Lindblom||Shawn Tolleson|
|Miami||Heath Bell||Steve Cishek||Edward Mujica|
|Milwaukee||John Axford||Francisco Rodriguez||Jose Veras|
|Minnesota||Glen Perkins||Jared Burton||Alex Burnett||Matt Capps|
|NY (NL)||Bobby Parnell||Jon Rauch||Ramon Ramirez||Frank Francisco|
|NY (AL)||Rafael Soriano||David Robertson||Boone Logan|
|Oakland||Ryan Cook||Grant Balfour||Jerry Blevins|
|Philly||Jonathan Papelbon||Antonio Bastardo||Jake Diekman|
|Pittsburgh||Joel Hanrahan||Jason Grilli||Juan Cruz|
|St. Louis||Jason Motte||Mitchell Boggs||Eduardo Sanchez|
|SD||Huston Street||Dale Thayer||Luke Gregerson|
|SF||Santiago Casilla||Sergio Romo||Javier Lopez|
|Seattle||Tom Wilhelmsen||Brandon League||Charlie Furbush|
|Tampa Bay||Fernando Rodney||Kyle Farnsworth||Jake McGee|
|Texas||Joe Nathan||Mike Adams||Robbie Ross|
|Toronto||Casey Janssen||Jason Frasor||Darren Oliver||Sergio Santos|
|Wash.||Tyler Clippard||Sean Burnett||Henry Rodriguez||Drew Storen|
[Green light, yellow light, red light: the colors represent the volatility of the bullpen order.]
Article printed from FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy
URL to article: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/bullpen-report-july-5-2012/
Copyright © 2009 FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball. All rights reserved.