- FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball - http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy -
Bullpen Report: March 31, 2013
Posted By Colin Zarzycki On March 31, 2013 @ 11:30 pm In Bullpen Report | 5 Comments
Night one is in the books! Only one game tonight, but hallelujah, baseball’s back! No blown saves or bullpen drama tonight, but the odds are that’s not going to be the case tomorrow!
• Drum roll, please. The season’s first save goes to… Erik Bedard? If I was a wittier Rotographs writer, I’d make some elaborate April Fool’s quip about rushing to your wire to pick up Bedard (maybe while messing around with the closer grid), but there’s a reason I’ll never be allowed to write for NotGraphs. Bedard piggybacked off starter Bud Norris; throwing 3 1/3 scoreless innings and satisfying the last option in MLB Rule 10.19 (a pitcher can earn a save by finishing a game effectively while pitching 3+ innings). Congrats to you if you backed into a “SV” while actually starting Bedard at the back end of your fantasy rotation. Don’t be offended that I’m taking the under on 0.5 saves the rest of the way, though.
• Derek Lowe made his Rangers debut and — well — it could have gone better. Lowe came in with a couple guys on and promptly fell behind Rick Ankiel before serving up an 82 mph slider over the heart of the plate that Ankiel deposited into the right field bleachers. Lowe’s SIERA was a career-worst 4.57 last year as he split time between the Indians and Yankees. With K% and SwStr% rates that have fallen dramatically the last two seasons, Lowe really shouldn’t be anywhere near a fantasy roster. It’s sad to say, but it’s possible his big league career might be over sooner rather than later as well.
• The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported tonight that Jason Motte “is still a significant time away from picking up a baseball. He won’t be re-evaluated until the middle of the next home stand, more than a week from now.” With him not being allowed to even look at a ball for at least a week and a half, it’s safe to say he’s unlikely to be back before the end of April. Mitchell Boggs should be owned in all leagues if he is not already by now, and I still like Trevor Rosenthal as a high-upside stash.
• One of the bigger bullpen surprises on cut-down Sunday was Jose Arredondo not cracking the Reds’ Opening Day roster. His walk rate has always been elevated (11.8% career BB%, 13.3% the last two years) but, despite a 3.87 SIERA last year, he put up a 2.95 ERA (.270 BABIP) and was pegged to be an option for holds and vulture wins in deeper leagues. He’s obviously droppable now, and is obviously one step further removed from late-inning considering with Aroldis Chapman‘s return to the ‘pen, but I have to imagine he’s back with the big club within a few months.
|Arizona||J.J. Putz||David Hernandez||Heath Bell|
|Atlanta||Craig Kimbrel||Eric O’Flaherty||Jordan Walden|
|Baltimore||Jim Johnson||Pedro Strop||Darren O’Day|
|Boston||Joel Hanrahan||Andrew Bailey||Koji Uehara|
|CHI (NL)||Carlos Marmol||Kyuji Fujikawa||Shawn Camp|
|CHI (AL)||Addison Reed||Matt Lindstrom||Matt Thornton|
|Cincy||Aroldis Chapman||Jonathan Broxton||Sean Marshall|
|Cleveland||Chris Perez||Vinnie Pestano||Joe Smith|
|Colorado||Rafael Betancourt||Matt Belisle||Wilton Lopez|
|Detroit||Joaquin Benoit||Octavio Dotel||Phil Coke||Bruce Rondon|
|Houston||Jose Veras||Wesley Wright||Hector Ambriz|
|KC||Greg Holland||Kelvin Herrera||Tim Collins|
|LAA||Ernesto Frieri||Scott Downs||Sean Burnett||Ryan Madson|
|LAD||Brandon League||Kenley Jansen||Ronald Belisario|
|Miami||Steve Cishek||Jon Rauch||Ryan Webb|
|Milwaukee||John Axford||Jim Henderson||Michael Gonzalez|
|Minnesota||Glen Perkins||Jared Burton||Casey Fien|
|NY (NL)||Bobby Parnell||Brandon Lyon||LaTroy Hawkins||Frank Francisco|
|NY (AL)||Mariano Rivera||David Robertson||Joba Chamberlain|
|Oakland||Grant Balfour||Ryan Cook||Sean Doolittle|
|Philly||Jonathan Papelbon||Mike Adams||Antonio Bastardo|
|Pittsburgh||Jason Grilli||Mark Melancon||Bryan Morris|
|St. Louis||Mitchell Boggs||Trevor Rosenthal||Edward Mujica||Jason Motte|
|SD||Huston Street||Luke Gregerson||Dale Thayer|
|SF||Sergio Romo||Santiago Casilla||Jeremy Affeldt|
|Seattle||Tom Wilhelmsen||Charlie Furbush||Carter Capps|
|TB||Fernando Rodney||Joel Peralta||Jake McGee|
|Texas||Joe Nathan||Jason Frasor||Tanner Scheppers|
|Toronto||Casey Janssen||Sergio Santos||Steve Delabar|
|Wash.||Rafael Soriano||Drew Storen||Tyler Clippard|
[Green light, yellow light, red light: the colors represent the volatility of the bullpen order.]
Article printed from FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy
URL to article: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/bullpen-report-march-31st-2013/
Copyright © 2009 FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball. All rights reserved.