Recent injury data
• Ricky Romero‘s knee and elbow are feeling better this season after a couple of off season surgeries. He definitely showed signs of a possible injury last season. His average fastball speed dropped from an average around 93 mph in early 2011 to just above 91 mph at the end of 2012.
Also, he has had more and more issues being able to keep the ball in the strike zone over his career.
Season: Zone% (pfx)
In 2012, he BB% jumped to 12.7%. It will be interesting to see how the surgeries affect his 2013 performance.
• Johan Santana is throwing off the mound and hopes to be ready by opening day. We’ll see if he is over his back, ankle, shoulder, pectoral and/or elbow issues of the past 5 years.
• Matt Garza was sidelined while throwing batting practice for a strained lat. He reported his elbow, which cost him 2 months last season, feels fine.
Name: Age at peak offensive season
Greg Luzinski: 26
Bob Hamelin: 26
Cecil Fielder: 26
Prince Fielder: 27
Kirby Puckett: 28
Mo Vaughn: 28
Matt Stairs: 29
Luis Sojo: 29
Vinny Castilla: 30
John Kruk: 31
Kevin Mitchell: 32
Tony Gwynn: 34
The peak ages averaged out at 28.8. With Sandoval heading into his age 26 season, his weight doesn’t seem to be an issue when looking at short heavy players from the past. Don’t let his weight be an issue this season.
• Delmon Young will likely miss time to start the season. The big playing time winners will be Domonic Brown and Darin Ruf. The pair will likely be the starting right and left fielders for the Phillies on opening day.
• Mat Gamel tweaked his surgically repaired knee which kept him out for most of the 2012 season. He was to play 1B while Corey Hart is out because of knee surgery also. The Brewers are taking a wait and see with him and owners should also. A clearer picture of how this injury will shake out will become clearer in a day or two.
Update: Gamel is done for the year. Hunter Morris looks to be the new 1B while Hart is out (h/t to dockmarm)
Player Return Timetables
|Name||Injury||Injury/Surgery Date||Early Return Date||Later Return date||Status||Source(s)|
|Scott Baker||TJS||4/17/12||Late March||May||Throwing off mound||(1)|
|Grant Balfour||Knee||2/14/13||Late March||Middle April||Rest||(1)|
|Brandon Beachy||TJS||6/21/12||Mid June||Mid June||Playing Catch||(1)|
|Lance Derkman||Knee||10/1/12||Late April||Mid March||Working out||(1)|
|Jeremy Bonderman||TJS||04/24/12||Late March||Late March||Healthy||(1)|
|Tim Byrdak||Shoulder Surgery||07/01/12||Early July||Early July||Bullpen Sessions||(1)|
|Edwar Cabrera||Shoulder||08/01/12||Mid March||Unknown||Unknown||(1)|
|Andrew Cashner||Thumb laceration||1/25/13||Late March||May||Rest||(1)|
|Carl Crawford||TJS||8/23/12||Late April||Early March||Throwing||(1)|
|Scott Diamond||Elbow Surgery||10/1/12||Early April||Early May||Unknown||(1)|
|Kyle Drabek||TJS||6/19/12||Mid Season||Mid Season||Unknown||(1)|
|Danny Duffy||TJS||6/13/12||Late May/Early June||All Star Game||Playing Catch||(1)|
|Neftali Feliz||TJS||8/1/12||July||August||Playing Catch||(1)|
|Corey Hart||Right knee surgery||1/26/13||Late April||Late May||Rest||(1)|
|Daniel Hudson||TJS||7/9/12||July||July||Playing Catch||(1)|
|Derek Jeter||Fractured Left Ankle||10/1/12||Late March||Late March||Fielding||(1)|
|Ryan Kalish||Shoulder Surgery||1/25/13||Early April||Unknown||Rest||(1)|
|Matt Kemp||Shoulder||8/1/12||Late March||Late March||Light Training||(1)|
|Colby Lewis||Elbow Surgery||7/1/12||Late May||July||Throwing||(1)|
|Francisco Liriano||Broken humerus||12/1/12||Early April||Late May||Rest||(1)|
|Nick Masset||Shoulder Surgery||09/07/12||Unknown||Unknown||Throwing||(1)|
|Brian McCann||Torn labrum||7/4/12||Mid April||May||Running and throwing||(1)|
|Logan Morrison||Knee||9/1/12||Late March||Late April||Light Training||(1)|
|Felipe Paulino||TJS||7/3/12||Early July||Early July||Unknown||(1)|
|Carl Pavano||Ruptured spleen||1/25/13||Late March||Mid April||Rest||(1)|
|Mike Pelfrey||TJS||05/01/12||Late March||Late March||Throwing||(1)|
|Michael Pineda||Shoulder Surgery||5/1/12||June||Early July||Rest||(1)|
|Alex Rodriguez||Hip surgery||1/16/13||Early July||2014 season||Rest||(1)|
|CC Sabathia||Bone Spur||10/1/12||Late March||Late March||Throwing||(1)|
|Johan Santana||Back||Late April||Middle March||Throwing off mound||(1)|
|George Sherrill||TJS||5/1/11||Late April||May||Bullpen Sessions||(1)|
|Joakim Soria||TJS||4/2/12||Late May||Early June||Playing Catch||(1)|
|Eric Surkamp||TJS||07/24/12||Late July||September||Unknown|
|Tsuyoshi Wada||TJS||05/11/12||Late March||Early July||Unknown||(1)(2)|
|Joe Wieland||TJS||07/27/12||Early August||2014||Catch||(1)|
|Brian Wilson||TJS||4/19/12||Unknown||Unknown||Not ready to pitch||(1)|
|Delmon Young||Right ankle||10/1/12||Mid April||Early May||Rest||(1)|
Players Returning From Injury
Information will be added as it becomes available.
Players Playing Through Injuries
Here is the list of players who should exceed their power projections for 2013:
Ryan Zimmerman, Ryan Howard, Cameron Maybin, Trevor Plouffe, Justin Upton, Paul Konerko, Dustin Pedroia, Luke Scott, Matt Kemp, Joey Votto, Mike Moustakas, Pablo Sandoval, Carl Crawford, Giancarlo Stanton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Evan Longoria, and Troy Tulowitzki. New additions: Matt LaPorta and Howie Kendrick
Print This Post