I am working my way through Dr. James Andrew’s book on sports injuries, Any Given Monday. While the book is focused mainly on youth sports injuries, some of the information applies to older athletes. I found the entire chapter on baseball injuries is free online for viewing. I would highly recommend reading the entire chapter for some good information on baseball injury prevention.
Recent injury data
• Curtis Granderson is out until early May with a broken forearm. Right now the Yankees are saying they are going to look in house for a replacement. I don’t exactly buy it. I would wait a couple of weeks if possible to see what they do for a replacement.
• Johan Santana‘s start to spring training is delay because of weakness. The article reports a lack of velocity and an inability to throw his change. He will be trying to build up his strength. I would not acquire him without other possible starting pitcher options already in place.
• Ian Stewart is out 2-3 weeks with a quad strain. He was to be the starting 3B for the Cubs. Luis Valbuena will be filling as the Cubs 3B in while Stewart is hurt, but Stewart should get the starting job back once he returns
Farrell said Ortiz would only need about two weeks’ worth of games to feel ready for Opening Day.
“If you ask any hitter, they get their timing pretty good in a two-week period. That’s going to give him probably 35-40 at-bats,” the manager said. “Time’s on our side in terms of a position player.”
So if a hitter is out for a while, they need 35-40 at-bats to get up to speed. Is this the same during the season? I may have to look to examine the data to see if there is any truth to the quote.
• Matt Kemp and Carl Crawford both look ready to return playing by the start of the season.
• I will be keeping track of pitcher fastball velocities when possible during spring training (mainly games at Surprise and Peoria) to look for any changes. Here are the values from several pitchers along with any previous season velocities. Alexi Ogando was the only pitcher who set off several red flags. Besides Ogando, Kelvin Herrera and Stephen Pryor both saw losses of over 2 mph from their 2012 average velocity. I will keep track of the trio’s future appearances.
For reference, fastball speeds stabilize quickly and spring training values are on average 0.6 mph slower than the regular season. Finally, thanks to brooksbaseball.net for the 2013 spring training Pitchf/x values.
All values are mph.
2013 ST (2/22): 91.5
2013 ST (2/22): 93.2
2013 ST (2/24): 95.0
2013 ST (2/24): 92.0
2013 ST (2/24): 94.9
2013 ST (2/24): 89.8
2013 ST (2/24): 92.0
2013 ST (2/22): 91.2
2013 ST (2/23): 91.8
Besides players with previous reported velocities, here are the fastball speeds for three highly touted pitching prospects:
Player Return Timetables
|Name||Injury||Injury/Surgery Date||Early Return Date||Later Return date||Status||Source(s)|
|Scott Baker||TJS||4/17/12||Mid April||May||Throwing off mound||(1)|
|Grant Balfour||Knee||2/14/13||Late March||Middle April||Rest||(1)|
|Brandon Beachy||TJS||6/21/12||Mid June||Mid June||Playing Catch||(1)|
|Lance Berkman||Knee||10/1/12||Late April||Mid March||Working out||(1)|
|Jeremy Bonderman||TJS||04/24/12||Late March||Late March||Healthy||(1)|
|Tim Byrdak||Shoulder Surgery||07/01/12||Early July||Early July||Bullpen Sessions||(1)|
|Edwar Cabrera||Shoulder||08/01/12||Mid March||Unknown||Unknown||(1)|
|Andrew Cashner||Thumb laceration||1/25/13||Late March||May||Rest||(1)|
|Carl Crawford||TJS||8/23/12||Early March||Late March||Throwing||(1)|
|Scott Diamond||Elbow Surgery||10/1/12||Early April||Early May||Unknown||(1)|
|Kyle Drabek||TJS||6/19/12||Mid Season||Mid Season||Unknown||(1)|
|Danny Duffy||TJS||6/13/12||Late May/Early June||All Star Game||Playing Catch||(1)|
|Neftali Feliz||TJS||8/1/12||July||August||Playing Catch||(1)|
|Rafael Furcal||Elbow||2/20/13||Mid March||Mid April||Rest||(1)|
|Curtis Granderson||Right forearm||2/24/13||Early May||Middle May||Rest||(1)|
|Corey Hart||Right knee surgery||1/26/13||Late April||Late May||Rest||(1)|
|Daniel Hudson||TJS||7/9/12||July||July||Playing Catch||(1)|
|Derek Jeter||Fractured Left Ankle||10/1/12||Late March||Late March||Fielding||(1)|
|Ryan Kalish||Shoulder Surgery||1/25/13||Early April||Unknown||Rest||(1)|
|Matt Kemp||Shoulder||8/1/12||Late March||Late March||Light Training||(1)|
|Colby Lewis||Elbow Surgery||7/1/12||Late May||July||Throwing||(1)|
|Francisco Liriano||Broken humerus||12/1/12||Early April||Late May||Rest||(1)|
|Nick Masset||Shoulder Surgery||09/07/12||Unknown||Unknown||Throwing||(1)|
|Jeff Mathis||Broken Collarbone||02/23/13||Mid March||Mid March||Rest||(1)|
|Brian McCann||Torn labrum||7/4/12||Mid April||May||Running and throwing||(1)|
|Logan Morrison||Knee||9/1/12||Late March||Late April||Light Training||(1)|
|Felipe Paulino||TJS||7/3/12||Early July||Early July||Unknown||(1)|
|Carl Pavano||Ruptured spleen||1/25/13||Late March||Mid April||Rest||(1)|
|Mike Pelfrey||TJS||05/01/12||Late March||Late March||Throwing||(1)|
|Michael Pineda||Shoulder Surgery||5/1/12||June||Early July||Rest||(1)|
|Wilson Ramos||ACL||5/1/12||Late March||Late March||Catching||(1)|
|Alex Rodriguez||Hip surgery||1/16/13||Early July||2014 season||Rest||(1)(2)|
|CC Sabathia||Bone Spur||10/1/12||Late March||Late March||Throwing||(1)|
|Johan Santana||Back||Late April||Middle March||Throwing off mound||(1)|
|George Sherrill||TJS||5/1/11||Late April||May||Bullpen Sessions||(1)|
|Joakim Soria||TJS||4/2/12||Late May||Early June||Playing Catch||(1)|
|Eric Surkamp||TJS||07/24/12||Late July||September||Unknown||(1)|
|Tsuyoshi Wada||TJS||05/11/12||May||Jun||Throwing off mound||(1)|
|Joe Wieland||TJS||07/27/12||Early August||2014||Catch||(1)|
|Brian Wilson||TJS||4/19/12||Unknown||Unknown||Not ready to pitch||(1)|
|Delmon Young||Right ankle||10/1/12||Mid April||Early May||Rest||(1)|
Players Returning From Injury
Information will be added as it becomes available.
Players Playing Through Injuries
Here is the list of players who should exceed their power projections for 2013:
Ryan Zimmerman, Ryan Howard, Cameron Maybin, Trevor Plouffe, Justin Upton, Paul Konerko, Dustin Pedroia, Luke Scott, Matt Kemp, Joey Votto, Mike Moustakas, Pablo Sandoval, Carl Crawford, Giancarlo Stanton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Evan Longoria, and Troy Tulowitzki. New additions: Dustin Ackley, Matt LaPorta and Howie Kendrick