Today I am going to examine Ryan Dempster and Jon Lester in detail. Also, I am rolling out some changes to HURT and PAIN. With PAIN (called Pitcher Abuse INdex based on a poll during the Tuesday night chat) Contact% is added and a regression amount factored in. With HURT, instead of evenly weighting the three previous seasons, I weighted the most recent seasons more. On both of them, I put the max value to be around 100, but a few players are determined to go over.
• Ryan Dempster ranks 12th in the most recent PAIN. His fastball velocity is down 0.6 mph from last year which should be expected from 36-year-old pitcher.
The main item setting off the high ranking is a lowering Zone%. In 2012 it was 48% and it has dropped to 43% this year. The dropped began in early 2012 as pointed out by David.
The drop in Zone% can be seen in his BB/9 going from 2.7 to 4.2. Another injury risk factor for Dempster is his near 30% slider usage (28.5% in 2013). Finally, he has not be able to maintain anything close to a constant release point with over a one foot variation.
Dempster has all the signs of a DL bound pitcher. He may be able to make it the entire season starting, but I would bet on him being DL bound at some point.
• Eno Sarris just interviewed R.A. Dickey. Dickey talks about struggling through some early season injuries and is feeling better. Maybe see if an owner is willing to sell low on Dickey.
“The first inning kind of sums up the whole night,” said Lester, whose seven walks on the night matched a career high. “Not able to repeat whatever pitch I made — fastball, curveball, changeup, cutter — I just was not able to repeat, whether it be location or the pitch itself. Not good.”
Overall, his game release points are tightly clustered together (three curve outliers).
Also, his velocity looks fine.
His only problem, as he noticed, was his inability control his pitches as seen in his four straight sub 45% Zone% games. I don’t think all is horrible, but also not all is good. It will be nice for him to get his control back.
• Darren Oliver has finally pitched after returning from the DL. His velocity is in check with previous values.
HURT (Hitter’s Under-performance from Recent Trauma) Rankings (min 20 PA in 2013 and min 600 PA from 2010 to 2012):
|Name||HURT||2010 to 2012 PA||2013 PA|
• Mark Teixeira shows up after returning recently from the DL because of a wrist injury. Two stats are causing the high HURT value, Contact% and IFFB%. His contact rate is way down from around 90% to 80% and has caused his K% to jump from 16% to 33%. Besides not making contact, he is hitting a ton of weak pop flies. His IFFB% has gone from near 10% the last few seasons to 27% in 2013.
Teixeira may still be feeling the effects of his wrist injury. It will be interesting to see if his Contact% will improve over the next few weeks.
PAIN (Pitcher Abuse INdex) Rankings (min 10 IP in 2013 and 20 IP in 2012)
|Name||PAIN||IP 2013||IP 2012|
• Jared Hughes is the poster child PAIN is supposed to find. A two mph drop in velocity. A Zone% under 30%. And the Pirates put him on the DL with an inflamed elbow.
Players on the DL
(*) 15 Day Disabled List
(**) 60 Day Disabled List
(***) 7 Day Concussion List
Red colored entries are updates since last report.
Print This Post