A little bit of everything today, a few pitchers returning from the disabled list, HURT rankings (I will do a different subset of players every report) and a couple of injury related articles. I am hoping to introduce PAIN, the pitcher injury predictor on Monday.
• I found two injury-related articles interesting this week. The first is on the Nationals being too “macho” to go on the DL. The other deals with the intense schedule and the inability of players to keep up with it.
• Andy Pettitte struggled in his first game back from the DL giving up 7 hits, 3 walks and only 3 strikeouts. I see several issues with him (release points and Zone%), but not much should be expected from a player about to turn 42 later this month. He is going to deal with injuries and struggle. Play the match-ups with and get whatever value you can out of him.
• Alexi Ogando‘s fastball was at its pre-injury level, but he couldn’t keep it up and it dropped 3-4 mph from the 5th inning on:
Also, his release points were all over the place:
I still don’t think he is 100% and don’t expect continued production from him.
HURT (Hitter’s Under-performance from Recent Trauma) Rankings (no min of PA in 2013 and no min from 2010 to 2012):
BTW, thanks for all the suggestions for naming this metric. I went with HURT because it will be easy to relate to “H”itters and I will use PAIN for “P”itchers. I was really tempted to name the hitter one SWEENEY and the pitcher one BEDARD. Oh well.
|Rank||Name||Injury Indez||2010-2012 PA||2013 PA||Age|
• Ike Davis is towards the top of the list but there are no reports of a 2013 injury in the interwebs. One note I did find was he lied about the extent of his 2012 injuries. I would not trust he is 100% healthy and expect his struggles to continue.
• Colby Rasmus is another regular near the top with no signs of injuries. Looking at his stats, he is showing some power increase in 2013, but his contact and speed numbers are way down. With him it may be more of a change in talent vice an injury.
Players on the DL
(*) 15 Day Disabled List
(**) 60 Day Disabled List
(***) 7 Day Concussion List
Red colored entries are updates since last report.
Print This Post