- FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball - http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy -
MASH Report (9/3/13)
Posted By Jeff Zimmerman On September 3, 2013 @ 2:15 pm In MASH | 3 Comments
September has started and that means tracking disabled players should becomes easier since no team puts players on it with the expanded rosters. Instead of taking the easy route, I am going to try to keep a list of players who would probably be on the DL if teams still had to use it. I will stay on the conservative side and list players who may be healthy. If they just DH or PH, I will still list them.
• A couple of interesting injury articles were recently published. First, the Pioneer Press examined changes in catcher masks and if they are behind the increase in catcher concussions. Also, Dustin Palmateer of Baseball Prospectus looked at forecasting pitcher injuries by their college pitch load. Short answer, he found no correlation.
He hit 96 mph once in the next inning, but mostly stayed in the low-90s while mixing in plenty of changeups to reestablish his confidence in the pitch that had first brought on the discomfort.
These value are about identical to his values before going on the DL. Additionally, his 2013 velocity was down almost 2 mph from 2012. I don’t expect a huge turnaround from him and expect his ERA to be around 4.00.
• Neftali Feliz‘s average fastball velocity wasn’t great, coming in at 94.3 mph. This value is 0.4 mph less than he threw in 2012 as starter and 2 mph less than 2011 as a reliever.
It will be interesting to see where the previous fireballer’s talent level stabilizes.
• Nick Tepesch‘s velocity looked good.
• As did Bartolo Colon‘s
• Steve Delabar‘s looked good also.
• And finally, so does Dustin McGowan‘s
HURT (Hitter’s Under-performance from Recent Trauma) Rankings (all hitter with at least 100 PA in 2013 and 400 PA from 2010 to 2012):
Any player with a HURT value over 100 (red) has the traits of a batter playing through an injury.
|Name||HURT||PA (2010 to 2012)||PA (2013)||ISO_diff|
Chris Johnson is still showing up on the list. After searching the interwebs, I can’t find if he changed his plate approach or is hurt. I do know the following. His ISO (.137) is over 20 points lower than where his projections had him (~.160 ISO). His Contact% is at a 3-year-low (75% vs 78% and 76%). His Speed Score is non-existent at 1.0.
The signs of an are exist, but it is not showing up in his AVG. As long as he keeps his AVG near .300, I see no reason for him to go on the D.L.
Players on the DL
(*) 15 Day Disabled List
(**) 60 Day Disabled List
(***) 7 Day Concussion List
(****) Free Agent
Red colored entries are updates since last report.
Unofficial September List
Article printed from FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy
URL to article: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/mash-report-9313/
Copyright © 2009 FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball. All rights reserved.