- FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball - http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy -
Roto Riteup: June 21, 2012
Posted By Zach Sanders On June 21, 2012 @ 7:15 am In Roto Riteup | 3 Comments
Today’s Roto Riteup is my fourth of the week, so you get four bullet points to celebrate the occasion. Celebrate good times, come on!
• On behalf of people everywhere, I’d like to welcome Ross Detwiler back to the Washington Nationals’ starting rotation. Detwiler got shoved to the bullpen after a rough patch in late May but now that his replacement, Chien-Ming Wang, has struggled, he’s back, baby. Detwiler posted a 3.57 FIP and 3.88 ERA as a starter, so it’s not like he was bad while in the rotation. If Detwiler is out there in an NL-only league, grab him. I’d even close this window to do it.
• Colby Rasmus’ dad should talk more often*, because his son is on a tear now. Rasmus has nine hits in his last five games. Three of those hits are homers, and two of them are doubles. Rasmus’ most telling statistic this season? His strikeout rate, down to 18.8% and driven by career best numbers in terms of making contact. Rasmus is only owned in 57% of Yahoo! leagues, so make sure he’s not available in yours.
• You know how I said Garrett Richards was probably headed back to the minors? Yeah, probably not, now that the Angels have placed Jerome Williams on the 15-day DL after collapsing following his past start.
• Alex Avila could be joining the Tigers on Thursday. Avila has started a couple of games at catcher in the minors, and he’s slated to play some DH today. Avila’s 2012 hasn’t been nearly as good as his 2011, but did anyone really expect it to be? Avila is still a very good catcher, and he’s only 25-years-old. If the lefty can make more contact at the dish, he could be an outstanding catcher for years to come, both in fantasy and in reality. If you’re looking for a catcher in a standard league, check on Avila.
For those of you who play daily fantasy games like FanGraphs: The Game, or just like to stream players, here are a couple matchups you may be able to exploit.
A Pitcher for Today: Daisuke Matsuzaka vs MIA
There’s a limited slate of games, and Dice-K comes with some reward, but he’s not without great risk. Take the day off if you can.
A Pitcher for Tomorrow: Kevin Millwood vs SDP
Millwood’s been good this year, and he’ll get away with throwing 88 mph fastballs up in the zone when he’s playing in San Diego.
A Hitter for Today: Garrett Jones vs MIN (Liam Hendricks)
Liam Hendricks isn’t quite a major-league caliber starter, and Garrett Jones isn’t quite bad enough to not take advantage.
*Please note: Colby Rasmus’ dad should not talk more often. Not.
Article printed from FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy
URL to article: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/roto-riteup-june-21-2012/
Copyright © 2009 FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball. All rights reserved.