After struggling in his past few outings, it appears that Alexi Ogando is going to pitch the rest of the way out of the bullpen. Luckily for you, I have some thoughts.
- The Rangers haven’t made a final decision on this matter yet, but I’m willing to bet they ultimately decide to bulk up the bullpen instead of letting Ogando struggle in the rotation.
- Texas has Scott Feldman ready to step in and start a few games to finish the season, so it’s not like Ogando is digging at the bottom of the barrel. The Rangers are only three games ahead of the Angels as of Wednesday morning, so they can’t just decide to rest players just to rest them, at this point.
- Even if Ogando is moved back into the bullpen, that doesn’t mean he won’t return to the rotation next season. However, if the Rangers bring back C.J. Wilson, they could have a surplus of starters on their hands. Martin Perez could be ready to join the rotation by the middle of next season, and Neftali Feliz continues to lurk in the bullpen.
- I would guess that either Ogando or Feliz joins the rotation next season, but not both of them. At this point, it’s a toss up. Ogando didn’t take to starting like Wilson did last season, but it’d be a risk to move Feliz into the rotation since Ogando already has a head start in stretching himself out.
And now, one more note for this morning.
- Matt Holliday injured his right hand on Tuesday night, and it doesn’t look good. Holliday only hurt himself swinging in the on-deck circle, so that’s the good news. The bad news is that the Cardinals are still technically in the playoff hunt and Holliday could miss most of the final two weeks of the season. Hopefully the injury turns out to be something minor, as Holliday could use a healthy offseason to get himself back to being a top-10 outfielder.
A Pitcher for Today: Dana Eveland vs PIT
In case you didn’t know, Eveland is a member of the Los Angeles Dodgers. He hasn’t walked the world in his first two starts this year, but this is a day you should just stay away from streaming.
A Pitcher for Tomorrow: Alex White vs SFG
I don’t love going with White at home, but I’d give him a chance against the Little People.
Pick Six Lock of the Day: Mike Napoli ($32.50) vs CLE (Fausto Carmona)
Would I have picked Napoli against a right-handed pitcher last year? No.
Prediction: 1-3, HR, BB; 15 points
Last Week’s Results: 3 players, $72.50, 19 points
Print This Post