A scroll around the MLB.com site introduced me, for the first time ever, to the 2013 GIBBYS, a set of 22 awards apparently being issued today (!), in categories such as Moment of the Year, Storyline of the Year, Oddity of the Year, and Cut4 Topic of the Year (for “the season’s top-trending moments, as chronicled by Cut4″). (No, I do not know what Cut4 is either.)
GIBBYS, “the ultimate honors of the industry’s awards season,” stands, of course, for the Greatness in BaseBall Yearly awardS. I now present what I’m hoping will be the 23rd GIBBY award, for most tortured attempt to create an award acronym. Here are my five nominees:
1. FOXXs: For Outcomes that are Xtra Xtra good
2. SPAHNs: Season’s Pitching Awards for Heart and also NumberS
3. MAYSs: Most Awards of the Year, given Seasonally
4. LEFTYs: Lifetime Evaluation by the Fans of Total Yearly Statistics
5. CLEMENS: Collective Lies regarding EnhanceMents, Eventually Negating Statistics… award.
Perhaps you have some of your own.
Print This Post