Blue Jays Lament Lost Season

reyes AP Paul Sancya

DETROIT — It wasn’t supposed to end this way for the 2013 Toronto Blue Jays. Not after The Trade with the Miami Marlins. Not after acquiring R.A. Dickey and his magical knuckleball, in exchange for Travis d’Arnaud and Noah Syndergaard, two of the franchise’s prized top-three prospects. But after losing 7-3 to the Detroit Tigers on Tuesday afternoon, and falling to 2-5 on the season — last place in the American League East, an insurmountable three games behind the Boston Red Sox — the Blue Jays knew their season was all but officially over. Off to their worst start since 2004, players and managers alike wondered where it all went so wrong.

“I remember Opening Day like it was last week,” said Dickey. “The emotion, the excitement, the expectations; it was amazing. I truly believed that this team was going to do something special. I’m sorry we let the fans down. I’m sorry I let the fans down.”

For manager John Gibbons, his return to the Toronto dugout, in the end, was bittersweet.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity, for the second chance. I just wish we could have done more with it,” Gibbons said. “The talent was here. We just couldn’t get it together, couldn’t get it going. It’ll keep me up at night, I promise you that.”

Jose Bautista, the unequivocal leader of the Blue Jays, spoke with purpose after the team’s third loss in four games, in what was a quiet visitor’s clubhouse at Comerica Park.

“The lesson to be learned is that you can never trust Las Vegas. You can’t be anointed champions. You can’t assume you’re going to make the playoffs. You have to play the games. You have to win the games. You can’t dig yourself a hole as big as we have. There are far too many good teams in this league. Except the Astros.”

Unfortunately for the Blue Jays, they play Houston only seven times this season. At this point, they’d have to run the table against the Astros, and get some help, in order to salvage what was supposed to be a dream 2013 season.

Bench coach DeMarlo Hale, another new face in Toronto this year, pulled no punches: “I left the Orioles for this shit.”

The question in Toronto over the next five and a half months will be: What’s next? Someone will have to be held accountable — will it be general manager Alex Anthopoulos, who threw all of his chips on the table in one daring offseason? Or Paul Beeston, who asked for and received from the suits at Rogers Communications over $35 million to spend on payroll? Both?

On what should have been a celebratory afternoon, after Melky Cabrera picked up hit number 1,000 of his illustrious career, Cabrera and his teammates were left wondering, “What if …”

“If we’d come out and played the way we’re capable of playing,” said Jose Reyes, “we’d be five-and-two, or probably six-and-one, and a lock for the playoffs. I don’t know what to say.”

Nobody, it seems, does, as the Blue Jays, and their fans, continue to search for answers.

Image credit: Paul Sancya/The Associated Press




Print This Post

Navin Vaswani is a replacement-level writer. Follow him on Twitter.


27 Responses to “Blue Jays Lament Lost Season”

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
  1. James says:

    It was a good run. Thought we had turned it around after game three but it was not to be. I’ll probably catch one or two of their remaining games just for kicks.

    Vote -1 Vote +1

  2. Matt says:

    The Blue Jays’ current winning percentage is 0.286. Let’s assume they maintain that level of play; that roughly means that they have a 28.6% chance of winning each of their future games. Well guess what, that means their opponent has a 71.4% chance of beating them. Hence, in any given single game, Toronto is expected to lose. And that means they’re on pace to finish 2-160. A truly miserable season indeed.

    +12 Vote -1 Vote +1

    • Jaysin2013 says:

      Your statistical reasoning in sound…. 160 losses… gonna be a tough one to swallow

      Vote -1 Vote +1

      • The Over-Murdered says:

        The worst part about this is that they won’t get the number 1 draft pick. The Miami Marlins are 1-7, which is a winning percentage of 0.125, or a LOSING PERCENTAGE of 0.875. For those who haven’t thoroughly studied percentages, this means there is an over 87% chance that the Marlins go 1-161.

        Vote -1 Vote +1

  3. Rico says:

    Hopeless Joe became a Blue Jays fan before this season

    Vote -1 Vote +1

  4. Jaysin2013 says:

    We should tank the rest of the way to get a higher draft pick.

    Vote -1 Vote +1

  5. jerkstore says:

    I think the jays owe it to bautista to trade him to a contender. 1st rounder and a prospect in return?

    Maybe we should call up some kids and let them get their feet wet during this lost season. I hear this kid dave bush has really learned to be a pitcher and not just a thrower.

    Vote -1 Vote +1

  6. I don’t want to imply that I have panicked, but I did shoot myself in the face, which is making it very difficult to type this message.

    Vote -1 Vote +1

  7. The Over-Murdered says:

    What’s more unsettling is that R.A. Dickey has a WAR of -0.1 this season. They have 155 games left in the season, which means R.A. Dickey is on pace to finish the season with a WAR of 155*-0.1 = -15.5

    This means that he will cost the Blue Jays more than 15 wins this year!!!

    Considering they could have had Vance Worley for a song, and he is on pace for a WAR of 0.4*155 = 62 this season, they basically spent $61 Million on R.A. Dickey who will give them 4* -15.5 = -62 wins in his 4 seasons. Vance Worley is only being paid about $525,000— this means in 4 years he will be giving the astute Twins 62*4 = 248 wins above replacement (that’s what “WAR” means).

    Final tally: Blue Jays pay $60.475 Million more for a net loss of 310 wins. I hate to break the bad news to Blue Jays fans, but there are only 162 games in a season (maybe 163 if they are lucky and tie for a playoff spot with someone at 2-160). This means you might as well forget about next year as well.

    Vote -1 Vote +1

  8. El Zuninorino says:

    I especially love the smugness exhibited by Toronto fans here. I think it belies their true internal feelings–that the team is overrated both on paper and in the field.

    I guess we’ll see.

    Vote -1 Vote +1

    • The Nemesis says:

      Or perhaps it represents the fact that most of us aren’t panicking yet because we know there’s lots of baseball left to play and plenty of time to erase the memories this slow start?

      When the playoffs start beginning in May, then this would be an issue. Until then it’s just a slow start through ~4% of the season.

      Also I call shenanigans on that John Gibbons quote. It’s far too coherent for Gibby. Unless this is the cleaned up version and the original was something like:

      “Imgrtfulferth’opportty,ferthsec’dchance. I jus wish w’could’vednmorewi’it,” Gibbons said. “Th’talnwashere. Wejuscrnnrnerd albrthnergelhrd…*unintelligible* *chuckle*”

      Vote -1 Vote +1

  9. PACMAN84 says:

    OMG!!! are you people really serious with this BS!!! there is over 150 games left to go. We are 3-5 not 30-50!!! fake fans like you people shouldnt be allowed to post comments on things they know nothing about.

    SMARTEN UP JAYS FANS!!! its a marathon not a sprint!!! ONE MORE TIME THERE ARE OVER 150 GAMES LEFT TO GO IN THE YEAR!!! talk about this again after at least 81 games!!!

    take care and don’t run with scissors

    -10 Vote -1 Vote +1

  10. Leighton says:

    This article and the comments included ranks among the best things I’ve read on this site.

    Vote -1 Vote +1

  11. Stephen says:

    What was satire 3 weeks ago is now sadly prophetic

    Vote -1 Vote +1

  12. JackM says:

    Everything about this article was right

    Vote -1 Vote +1

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>