Major League Players
Minor League Players
Blog Search Results
Sort by Date
- Have A Day, Jose Fernandez
- World Baseball Classic All-Time Records
2006, 2009, 2013
- This is Jose Fernandez' Third Pitch
There's a lot of Jose Fernandez talk going around. And he looks to be a legit young starting pitcher -- his gas sat above 95 mph, his slurve/slider thing got plenty of whiffs, and he lived
- Alex Liddi and the Greatest European Players Ever
Yesterday, Alex Liddi hit a grand slam, which the AP noted was "the first major league grand slam by an Italian-born player in half-century." That actually understates the true rarity of Liddi's
- Ceremonial First GIF: Jose Fernandez
Miami right-hander and 20-year-old Cuban emigre Jose Fernandez has, just seconds before the composition of these very words, finished his first inning as a major-league pitcher, retiring the New
- Fernandez's Best Changeup and Also Harvey's Best Changeup
depict Jose Fernandez's best changeup and also Matt Harvey's best changeup from Monday night.
Here, for the sake of the readership, is video footage of Jose Fernandez's best changeup from Monday
- Dallas Braden Attacks Alex Rodriguez Again. Is Baseball's "Code" Really Still Relevant?
Every time Alex Rodriguez does anything -- poses in Details Magazine, slaps a ball out of a glove, shouts to distract a fielder from a pop-up, admits to taking banned drugs, runs across the pitcher's
- New Rotation Faces: Fernandez, Corbin & Ross
, roster decisions were made, position battles sorted out and rotation slots won. Some of those rotation spot winners were quite the shock. Let's discuss a few of them, shall we?
- Alex Gordon is...
It's like a mad lib! Alex Gordon is... sexy? Misunderstood? Pretty good with a chance of more? Not as good as last year? Better than this year? Let's try something else. Let's try to answer
- Alex Rodriguez News Summary
Alex Rodriguez is probably the most despised player in baseball history. Rodriguez' contract is considered among the worst in baseball. Alex Rodriguez has vehemently denied reports he
- Prospect Watch: Alex Gordon
, but there's no denying his production. Alex Gordon, the Royals former third baseman, has put together a .377/.515/.688 line in about 100 plate appearances with the O-Royals.
We've already chronicled the demotion
- Alex Gonzalez's Hot Start
Signed to a one-year contract with a team option for 2011 by the Blue Jays this offseason, Alex Gonzalez did not attract much attention on the free agent market after being cut loose by the Red Sox
- The Good Alex Rios Reappears
If there was a roller coaster ride named after a baseball hitter, its name would be Alex Rios. The White Sox outfielder has given fantasy owners and projection makers fits trying to make sense of his
- Alex Gordon Demoted
prophetic. Marc Hulet will have more on that move tomorrow, but the Royals didn’t stop tinkering with their young players there. Oh no, yesterday they decided to demote Alex Gordon to the minors
- Alex Rodriguez and Power
Alex Rodriguez finally hit his 600th, but his owners have noticed that there was something wonky going on before the race to the benchmark ever started. A look at Jack Moore's piece on the moment
- Alex Gordon Demoted
A week ago, the Brewers seemingly played the service time system to postpone J.J. Hardy’s free agency by a season. Today, the Royals are following suit with Alex Gordon.
Entering this year
- The Slow Decline of Alex Rodriguez
this year, there's one player whose decline is hiding in the background: Alex Rodriguez.
I remember a time when Alex Rodriguez was the yearly consensus first pick in fantasy baseball. People would
- ADP Crowdsourcing: Alex Rodriguez
Today’s ADP Crowdsourcing comes from a suggestion by RotoGraphs’ own Mike Axisa. Snaps for Mike.
Alex Rodriguez’s 2010 had some ups, but it also had more than it’s fair share of downs. He started
- Alex Gordon: Who Are You?
felt the need for a personal one. So yeah, for you Twitterers reading this, follow me @MikePodhorzer if you dare. I'll try to be entertaining (twittertaining?).
It doesn't feel too long ago that Alex
- Alex Rodriguez and the Predictability of October
Alex Rodriguez entered the Yankees ALDS against the Twins with a playoff wOBA of .377 in 170 plate appearances. Certainly an impressive mark, given a league wOBA ranging from .330 to .340
- Alex Gordon's Near Miss
It had not been a good day for Alex Gordon. All spring long we'd heard how the former first-round pick was working towards finally fulfilling his potential. Even manager Ned Yost was singing his
- Alex Avila: Is He For Real?
Tigers backstop Alex Avila. Currently, Avila is sporting a slash line of .279/.346/.529 with 8 home runs and 28 RBI. He's tied for second in HR amongst catchers, leads in RBI production and according
- What to do with Alex Rodriguez?
Thirteenth place. That's where Alex Rodriguez finished among third basemen in my most competitive fantasy league this season. That was behind the likes of Emilio Bonifacio, Jhonny Peralta and Ryan
- Bearish On Alex Gordon
In light of his very nice contract extension, which Brandon Warne covered extensively earlier this week, I figured giving my thoughts on Alex Gordon would be timely.
Gordon was a fantasy MVP
- Alex Gordon in 2012
Bust. Injury-prone. Waste of money. Entering the 2011 season, Alex Gordon was burdened by all of these labels. The Nebraska Cornhusker stud, a Golden Spikes Award winner, number two pick in the '05
- Investigating Alex Sanabia's Pitches
Last night, Alex Sanabia gave up a home run to Domonic Brown in the second inning, and as he was walking back to the mound, the video appears to capture him spitting on the baseball. Sanabia
- Orlando Cabrera Says No Mas
As a low-OBP, glove-first shortstop with a bit of pop, Cabrera's career value was somewhere in between the Alex Gonzalezes (retired Alex S. and still-active Alex S.) and Jose Valentin
- Don't Suspend A-Rod if He Didn't Break the Law
UPDATE: It appears that MLB agrees.
Every so often, like most baseball writers, I look at myself in the mirror and ask myself an important question: Why am I not writing about Alex Rodriguez
- These Days, The Waiting Game Doesn't Pay Off
We're pleased to welcome another new writer to the fold - Alex Remington. He'll be holding down the fort every Thursday around here. Welcome, Alex.
Greetings to all! I'm Alex Remington. You may
- The Worst Contract Extensions in History
. Position players have received the other 21, and of those 21 contracts, 11 have been contract extensions, and just 10 have been free agent contracts. (Of the top five contracts in baseball history -- Alex
- Is 50 Games Too Weak a PED Punishment?
Alex Sanchez, for example. But they have much more to lose, because a positive test could just about end their career.
(I've always thought it strange that the suspension for steroids is not much
- Should MLB Punish A-Rod Based on News Reports?
nicknamed "BALCO East."
Of course, as Cameron notes, "Rodriguez is going to get the most attention, because he’s Alex Rodriguez." The Yankees are reportedly exploring all avenues to void the last five
- The Old Curmudgeons Are Right: Baseball Nicknames Useta Be Way Better
-- but this relative paucity only highlights their general absence. Many of the nicknames that break the paradigm are derivative of previous ones: Francisco Rodriguez's "K-Rod" is a takeoff on Alex Rodriguez's A-Rod
- Baseball's Decelerating Average Salary
moving downward beginning around 1980, and the trend has become even more pronounced since the year 2000. Y2K is a local maximum within the data, the year that the tech bubble burst and Alex Rodriguez
- Change the All-Star Game or Scrap It
on TV makes Alex something, something.") Back before national television contracts and interleague play, the All-Star Game was one of the only times that fans could see the greatest players from
- Did Michael Bourn & Scott Boras Wait Too Long?
Alex Rodriguez12/11/200010 yr$252MRangers
Chan Ho Park1/16/20025 yr$65MRangers
Adrian Beltre12/16/20045 yr$64MMariners
Kevin Millwood12/26/20055 yr$60MRangers
- Chipper Jones Out for the Year with a Torn ACL, Career in Jeopardy; Just How Good Was He?
Created Above Average. Chipper is 37th in all-time WAR, and sixth among third basemen (seventh if you consider Alex Rodriguez a 3B), behind Mike Schmidt, Eddie Mathews, Wade Boggs, Brooks Robinson
- Can John Thorn Finally Erase Abner Doubleday?
... and even Alex Cartwright, with whom he has formed a cordial tandem.")
Thorn's list of credentials, not just on the early history of baseball, is long. He was the senior creative consultant for Ken
- Why Einhorn Jilted the Mets
was like Alex Rodriguez:I got the analogy wrong. Microsoft is not A-Rod. The better analogy is that the best parts of the Microsoft product portfolio, particularly the dominant Windows Office and Enterprise
- MLB Correctly Realizes That Beer Ban is "Asinine"
they successfully employed after the allegations that Alex Rodriguez participated in illegal high-stakes poker games. Here's the rough chronology: the Boston Globe article about the Red Sox appeared
- Why Are the Yankees Cheap: Savvy or Remorse?
precedent to combat overspending. But austerity programs don't work when you scrimp on efficient programs that do work; they work when you cut the fat. As long as Mark Teixeira, A.J. Burnett, Alex Rodriguez
- Commenters Are $#!%ing Evil! (And Other Respectful Thoughts)
article, "NHL Winter Classic: I’m Glad Selig Didn’t Think of That"
"Alex, your sabermetrical analysis continues to amaze me. Keep up the good job of destroying FanGraphs with this political bullshit
- Team Preview: Atlanta Braves
3. 3B Chipper Jones^ (38 years old)
4. 2B Dan Uggla (30 years old)
5. C Brian McCann* (27 years old)
6. SS Alex Gonzalez (34 years old)
7. 1B Freddie Freeman* (21 years old)
8. CF Nate McLouth
- Leyland: Interleague Play Unfair With No DH
of letting their pitchers rest and using the DH when they come here, and we gotta use guys six straight days without Victor Martinez or Alex Avila or somebody. That's ridiculous. Totally ridiculous
- Arlington Power Struggle: Jon Daniels vs. Nolan Ryan
in team history have been connected to performance-enhancing drugs, including Rafael Palmeiro, Juan Gonzalez, Alex Rodriguez, and the single best player in team history, Ivan Rodriguez
- Rod Barajas Is Not the Answer to Your Prayers, Omar Minaya
- Jon Sciambi on Smarter Broadcasting
- Harvard Research Study: Baseball Players Are Getting Fatter (But the Study Doesn't Mention Steroids)
- Realignment, Shmealignment? Even if It Won't Float, This Idea Shouldn't Sink
- Cliff Lee's Suspension Is Just Too Much
- They Got Rid of One Measly Off Day, But the Playoffs Still Need to Be Improved
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Atlanta
- Gooble Gobble, Bill Simmons Is Now One of Us
- Should A.J. Pierzynski Be Punished for Lying to an Ump?
- Should Baseball Get Rid of Divisions, Instead of Realignment? Maybe Not.
- Should You Boycott the Diamondbacks?
- Apparently, the Phillies Cheated. So What?
- Airing the Marlins' Dirty Laundry in Public
- Time to Rethink the Balk Rule?
- Armando Galarraga's One-Hitter Was Still Rare
- What Strasburg Means, Redux
- More Egregious Umpiring: Yorvit Torrealba Suspended Three Games
- Firing Fredi Gonzalez
- On Boringness: Soccer vs. Baseball
- Catchers and the MVP
- Remembering Ralph Houk
- No More Mr. November: 2011 World Series Will Be Done in October, Says MLB
- An Unhappy Strasmas
- Roger Clemens Indicted; Steroid Era on Trial
- Nyjer Morgan Wants A Piece of the Marlins. I Don't Blame Him.
- Derek Jeter Cheated. So What?
- Jose Bautista and the Meaning of the Word "Fluke"
- Cito Gaston Retires, Dusty Baker Signs an Extension; There Are Still Too Few African-American Managers
- Is the Steroid Ban Responsible for the "Year of the Pitcher"? No, Say Freakonomics Writers
- TBS Upgrades Postseason Coverage from Chip Caray to Dick Stockton, and Ratings Fall
- Worst of the Worst
- Okay, Time for My Surgery! Heading for the Doctor After Getting Bounced from the Playoffs
- Two More Wild Card Teams? Nip That Idea in the Bud.
- The Real Truth Behind Derek Jeter’s Gold Glove — Revealed!
- “Expanded Playoffs Appear Inevitable"
- Bud Selig and Kennesaw Mountain Landis
- Ryan Theriot: Let the Flamewar Commence!
- NHL Winter Classic: I'm Glad Selig Didn't Think of That
- If You Vote for Surhoff and Tino, You Have to Vote for Everyone
- Another Look at Why the Hall Ballots Are So Crowded
- On the Media: What Is a Sports Reporter?
- Stick a Fork in the Grapefruit League
- Could the Mets Just Go Public?
- Despite Cancer, Butler Against Smokeless Tobacco Ban
- 19th Century PEDs and Andy Pettitte's HOF Case
- The Amazing Brendan Donnelly
- Ng Disappointed at Lack of Women in MLB
- Watching Spring Training in Chicago
- 2011 Organizational Rankings: #5 – Atlanta
- New MLB Concussion Policy a Hit With MDs
- The Tortured Logic of Unwritten Rules
- Women Are Coming to Baseball, Like It or Not
- Interview: Modern Drunkard Magazine's Rich English
- Instead of Taking Over a Bad Team, Relegate Them
- Milton Bradley and the "Race Card"
- "Some Schmuck in New York": Wilpon's Woeful Week
- Billy Beane to Kurt Suzuki: Don't Get Hurt
- Making MLB Safe for Mr. Mom: The Paternity List
- Passan Vindicated With Division Deletion Proposal
- John Maine, "Habitual Liar" About Health, May Retire
- Riggleman: A Beggar Who Thought He Was a Chooser
- Death of Don Buddin, the Man Boston Booed
- Marlins Close Upper Deck: Can Loria Admit Fault?
- Does It Matter If a Manager Was a Major Leaguer?
- Ump Admits Lugo Was Out: Give Us Replay, Selig
- Should the Nats Call Up Stephen Strasburg?
- Wally Pipping Jason Heyward
- Honkbal! Netherlands Bids to Host MLB in 2014
- MLB, the Mets, the Hats, and September 11
- A Possible Farewell to Reluctant Ace Javy Vazquez
- Why Shouldn't a Jew Play on Yom Kippur?
- Will Rays Move? No, Just "More Years of Posturing"
- Mac Thomason, First Braves Blogger, Fights Cancer
- It's 92 Years Since Clark Griffith Bought the Senators
- Wilson Ramos Is Home. Now What?
- CBA Forbids Discrimination on Sexual Orientation
- Are the Wilpons About to Lose the Mets?
- The Civil War Christmas Game, Hilton Head, 1862
- Samson Is Wrong: Marlins Aquarium Is 2nd to Rays
- 2011 Rays DHs, Manny and Damon, Looking for Work
- Prince Fielder, His Estranged Father, and $200 Million
- Two Wild Cards in 2012? I Hope Not.
- Baseball Racism: The Irish in 1880
- espnW, ESPN's Women's Site, Explains wOBA
- SF to Posey: Don't Block Plate. Twins to Mauer: Do.
- Ryan Braun Case: PED Attitudes Changing?
- Jose Canseco, Steroids, and Logical Paradox
- Torii Hunter: All Japanese pitchers have "same style"
- Yoenis Cespedes and the Cuban Tradition
- Braves Trade J.J. Hoover to Reds for Juan Francisco
- Happy Opening Day! Er... Third Opening Day.
- Valley Fever Redux: How Dangerous Is This Fungus?
- Dodgers Celebrate 122nd National League Anniversary
- Peter Gammons to Boston Globe: Burn Your Sources!
- David Wright: Greatest Met Ever?
- Are No-Hitters On the Rise? No. Just the % of CGs.
- When Is Plunking Bryce Harper Justified?
- Ozzie Guillen, Fidel Castro and Why No One Cares
- MLB DNA Testing — Is Baseball Breaking the Law?
- Justin Black and Montana Major Leaguers
- Japanese Baseball Foreigners: Fun With Wlad and Wily Mo
- LaTroy Hawkins and Dave Cameron's Radical Proposal
- Is Baseball Getting Too Expensive For Kids?
- Larry Doby's Debut: AL Integration's 65th Anniversary
- Rest in Peace, Robert Creamer
- Bring Baseball Back to the Olympics!
- Chien-Ming Wang, Best Taiwanese Player in MLB History
- Strasburg Shutdown: A Defense
- Billy Hamilton and Stealing 100 Bases
- Bobby Valentine's Misery
- 2013 Schedule: Constant Interleague, Still Unbalanced
- Why the Pirates Always Limp to the Finish
- Prohibiting Reporters from Reporting
- Adam Greenberg & Others Who Got a Second Chance
- Should the Nationals Regret the Strasburg Shutdown?
- The Cardinals Still Benefiting From the First Farm
- How Common Are Playoff Sweeps?
- Upton Brothers: Phenoms, Disappointments, Now What?
- How To Write a List of the Worst Owners Ever
- Marvin Miller's Legacy, and the Decline of Labor
- The Kremlinology of the Winter Meetings
- How To Build A Hall of Fame*
- Writers Who Refuse to Vote for the Hall of Fame
- Can You Hear Me Now?: MLB and Bullpen Cell Phones
- Rewrite the Balk Rule, Don't Expand It
- Mike Napoli's Aching Hips: What is Avascular Necrosis?
- Today in 1899, The Brooklyn Superbas Were Born
- Chad Cordero Signs a Minor League Deal
- Should MLB Punish DUIs More Harshly, Like PEDs?
- Joba Wants to Start. Yankees Want it to Stop.
- Miami Marlins New Revenue Stream: Suing Fans
- Mariano Rivera and Father Time: Comebacks After 40
- The Astros and Braves: How Many K's is Just Too Much?
- Evan Gattis and Other Old Rookie Catchers
- scoutPRO: A Woman-Owned Fantasy Football Site Moves to Baseball
- So, Has Handedness Changed at All?
- Should MLB Eliminate the Entire Playoffs?
- How the Scouts Saw Roy Halladay and Todd Helton
- Positional Case Study: Atlanta Braves Center Fielders
- "Homer at the Bat" Turns 20. I Am So Old.