- David Brown FanGraphs Chat - 1/9/15
11:57Comment From mtswWho are you? Kiley too big to do these now that he's the type of guy who gets named dropped in MLBtraderumors headlines? 11:58Dave Brown: My name is Dave Brown. You might know
- The Park Effect: Ignore Minnesota's Korean Slugger at Your Peril
- Love Song for C. Andrew Sabo
(no headaches from squinting
at the Mr. Lawton's chalky notes
on elements and particles
from the back of the class),
but cost me in those fleeting moments
with brown-haired Alyssa,
- Domonic Brown, Mike Minor, Rubby De La Rosa: Mining the Minors
(or return, if already sent down) during this season.
Players listed in order of 2011 fantasy impact.
MIXED LEAGUE RELEVANT
Domonic Brown, Phillies OF
- A New Hitter xISO, Now with Exit Velocity
. Perhaps not surprisingly, I’ll be mostly using it for fantasy. Dedicated FanGraphs readers will also note that Andrew Perpetua has been doing work with Statcast data on “these electronic pages
- Strong Spring Moves Donnie Dewees Into Top Few Rounds
- Missouri State Righty Jon Harris Shows First Round Ability
- xOBA and Using Statcast Data To Measure Offense
- A New BABIP for a Statcast Era
- What exactly do launch angles mean, anyway?
- Eight Players Under Performing their xOBA
- Five batters who are outperforming their xOBA.
- Fitting Running Speed into xOBA and xBABIP.
- A look into the new Marlins Park dimensions.
- Statcast FIP: Estimate The Home Runs
- Is Delmon Young About to Break Out?
- Why I Don't Use FIP
- The A's Declining Offense
- Pitches Seen: Baseball's Boring Inefficiency
- The Search for a Good Approach
- Complete Outfield Dimensions
- MLB Free Agency Dollars to Date
- Not finalized
Bobby Jenks - Not finalized
Tsuyoshi Nishioka - Not confirmed
Miguel Olivo - Working
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter @BizballMaury
- Show Me the $! End-of-Year Payrolls
compensation, buyouts of unexercised options and cash transactions. In some cases, parts of salaries that are deferred are discounted to reflect present-day values.
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter
- Inside Salary Arbitration
flipped). That has now been corrected. -- Maury Brown
Before Curt Flood’s landmark case, and before Messersmith and McNally held out in a contract year, thus allowing for the reserve clause
- How MLB Became the Example of Peacemakers
on NFL Parade? (Variety)
FOLLOW MAURY BROWN ON TWITTER @BizballMaury
- Sizing Up Mark Cuban; Potential Owner Of The Rangers
We're happy to announce that Maury Brown, owner of the Business of Sports Network, will be writing for us here every Tuesday. Please welcome Maury to the crew.
Well, this is a fine mess you
- Q&A: Scooter Gennett on Ceramics, Lefties and Riding Scooters
meetings. In addition to the charity work, he also discussed how he's preparing for the upcoming season, and further explained how Ryan Joseph Gennett became — sometimes — "Scooter."
- What's In Store for the Texas Rangers Auction
- Rob Manfred on Minor League Drug Testing Program
- Why Relocation and Expansion are a Pain for MLB
- Will Leaked MLB Financials Alter Revenue-Sharing?
- I Really Had a Blackout
- The Death of Baseball in Portland
- Playing the God of Baseball
- Could MLB's Postseason TV Ratings Be Down?
- Breaking Down 2010 MLB Regular Season Attendance
- Rays Lose ALDS, San Antonio Dreams the Pipedream
- At Game 1 of the World Series: Prelude - Different Is Good
- At Game 1 of the World Series: Overflow Media
- A Primer on the Baseball Winter Meetings
- Will Steinbrenner Beat Out Miller for HOF
- Making Postseason $ When Missing The Playoffs
- Salary Arbitration Mumbo Jumbo
- The Upcoming CBA: An International Draft
- Josh Willingham: Honoring the Hammer
- Michael Ynoa Gets New Life With White Sox
- Dick Enberg Honored With the Ford C. Frick Award
- Using Batted-Ball Data to Measure Hitter Performance
- Domonic Brown and Getting There
Sunday afternoon, Domonic Brown did something he's been doing a lot of lately. Brown faced Mike Fiers in the bottom of the first, with two on and two out. After a first-pitch curveball found the zone
- Maddux, Clemens, Pedro... Brown?
and Schilling on this list. No, instead, I am focusing on the starting pitcher that concludes this list: Kevin Brown.
Whenever most people see this list of nine starting pitchers, Brown tends
- Domonic Brown Goes Mashing
The rumor on the street is that Domonic Brown had a breakout season in 2013. But can we trust that to be a sign of things to come?
Brown was once (briefly) the top prospect in all of baseball
- Phillies summon Domonic Brown
prospect in baseball: outfielder Domonic Brown. Most of us expected Brown to get the call once the team traded Jayson Werth, but Victorino's injury makes such a deal unlikely. Werth will instead shift
- The Dramatic Decline of Domonic Brown
Coming into the 2011 season, Domonic Brown ranked as the fourth-best prospect in all of baseball according to Baseball America. The Philadelphia Phillies had just watched right fielder Jayson Werth
- Dom Brown Up or Down?
On a team accused of aging quickly -- though the space-time continuum has something to say about that -- Domonic Brown is the youngest, most exciting offensive piece. But now he's spent two seasons
- Should Kevin Brown Be in the Hall of Fame?
Is there a more overlooked candidate on the current Hall-of-Fame ballot than Kevin Brown?
Poke around, and you'll find the usual shopworn debates and entrenched positions, but Brown, it would seem
- Chris Brown: Blue Jays Fan
"Teach me how to Dougie Chris Brown." Watch the video. Tell me what you see.
I, of course, obliged.
In the video that's been
- Domonic Brown and Exploring the Reality of Breakouts
It was my initial intent to write something about Tuesday's trade rumor that involved Domonic Brown and Jose Bautista. The rumor, presented straight-up, was absolutely fascinating for the implied
- Spotted: A Colombian Person Named Steve Brown
First, Colombia was inhabited by indigenous peoples like the Muisca, Quimbaya, and Tairona. Then, in the 16th century, it was conquered by the Spanish. Then, in 1986, Steve Brown was born
- Andrew Cashner's Fantasy Ceiling
I apologize for this post. Feel free to leave your own images of Andrew Cashner's fantasy ceiling, or fantasy ceiling fan, in the comments.
- Mullet Watch: Andrew Cashner
Andrew Cashner - mugshot of a mullet pic.twitter.com/RUTkJc2unJ— CJ Fogler (@cjzero) March 31, 2014
I think his fantasy ceiling just collapsed.
- Domonic Brown Has Made Some Changes
It's been five years since Domonic Brown cracked the public consciousness as a five-tooler in the Phillies system. Five up and down years. Three of those years, he failed to impress in short samples
- Domonic Brown Good News/Bad News
. It was promising, and, sure enough, Saunders had a breakthrough season. Spring training isn't entirely devoid of substance.
Which brings us to the matter of Domonic Brown, on Tuesday, February 26
- What Can Domonic Brown Do For You?
It appears, once again, that Domonic Brown's name is out there cooking up in the hot stove. Dave and Jeff each touched on Brown when his name last came up in rumors last month when a Brown for Jose
- Brown's Bad Break Limits Phillies' Flexibility
The Philadelphia Phillies offensive depth was already going to be thin this season. That was before Domonic Brown broke the hamate bone on his right wrist Saturday afternoon. And while there’s
- Andrew McCutchen Looks... Different
Click to embiggen... your dreams.
I don't watch a ton of Pirates games, so I'm no authority on the matter, but, if memory serves, Andrew McCutchen looks less, uh, European in person than on his
- Ask Andrew McCutchen!
League Baseball center fielder Andrew McCutchen -- these questions. Perhaps they have the answers, and would be willing to share them with us. Sometimes on this journey, we all need some guidance
- It’s a Good Time to Grab Dom Brown
If there is one guy I have been following relatively closely throughout this year in case I wanted to pick up a bat, it has been Domonic Brown. In his first year as a starter and his hype at an all
- Jimmer Friedman? Andrew Fredette?
shooting from anywhere on the court. And, like Friedman, Fredette comes from a Jewish family.
That's about where the similarities between Fredette and Andrew Friedman, pictured on the right, end
- A World Without Andrew McCutchen
The idea of a world without Garfield has already been fully realized. But what of a world without Andrew McCutchen?
I've often wondered -- fantasized, even -- about what it would be like if I
- Senseless 19th Century Baseball Deaths: Lew Brown
Lew Brown played for Providence, at least two Boston clubs, and assorted other teams during a seven-year career. He retired, it would seem, following his age-26 season. In January of 1889, just
- The New Old Andrew Cashner
Back in May, Chris Cwik noticed something very interesting about Andrew Cashner. His hard slider was gone. Whether the pitcher had done it to save his arm, or the pitch had changed because
- Respecting Andrew McCutchen
votes, and the winner probably won't be unanimous.
But let's not let the reality of a solid field of candidates obscure the fact that Andrew McCutchen is pulling away from the field. He might
- Andrew McCutchen And Barry Bonds
Andrew McCutchen is a toolsy Pittsburgh outfielder with a good eye at the plate that just put it all together and showed career bests in most categories in his age-26 season. He did
- JABO: The Matter With Andrew McCutchen
Andrew McCutchen has been bad. I think I'm allowed to say that. Used to be, it was just a bad start. It's still a bad start, but we're a week into May, so that "just" is disappearing by the second
- Enter Andrew Cashner
, a young and handsome right-hander -- a prospect highly touted, mysterious and oft-cloaked in shadows -- has emerged. Enter Andrew Cashner.
Having won the spring's now-contested fifth starter
- Andrew Miller's MLB Return
For a 26-year-old with an even 300 innings pitched in the majors, Andrew Miller has worn many labels throughout his career. He was a college ace at North Carolina and a top-10 pick by the Tigers
- The Daily Grind: Niese, Gibson, Nicolino, Brown
Daily DFS - Chen, Niese
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - Gibson, Nicolino, Brown, Odubel
1. Daily DFS - Chen, Niese
There are only seven games tonight
- Andrew Miller's Iffy Future
Andrew Miller has two articles linked on his page. One directs to a RotoGraphs piece written by the Talented Mr. Bendix and clicking the other will lead to a detailed look at the tallest rotations
- Andrew Miller's Vesting Option
- I would also accept "sneakiest" - one yet. As first reported by Alex Speier, Boston struck a deal with Andrew Miller that essentially circumvents the waiver process.
Here's the basics - Miller
- Andrew McCutchen Arrives
Eric Seidman covered last week -- Andrew McCutchen has officially established himself as one of the best, and most exciting, players in the game. It's a damn shame that he continues to fly under
- What is Andrew Cashner's Value?
A pitcher in Petco Park should always be on your fantasy radar. With the trade of Anthony Rizzo, Andrew Cashner became the most recent pitcher to be acquired by the Padres. While Cashner will pitch
- The Steady Improvement of Andrew Cashner
It's tough to say San Diego Padres' pitcher Andrew Cashner is breaking out. After posting a 3.09 ERA, and a 3.35 FIP, over 175 innings in 2013, Cashner had officially arrived. On top of that, his
- Dom Brown: Less Shiny, Still Exciting
Domonic Brown is back in the bigs. He was once projected by Bill James to go 30/30, so obviously he has the tools to stick in the major leagues. But just as obvious is the fact that he's not the same
- Andrew McCutchen's Controlled Aggression
Patience has been a big part of Andrew McCutchen's game since his arrival in Pittsburgh in 2009. The two-time All-Star walked in at least 10 percent of his plate appearances in all four of his MLB
- What To Do With Andrew Bailey
But no more.
Hi, my name is Michael, and I cut Andrew Bailey.
I owned Bailey in a non-keeper league with just one disabled list slot, already occupied by another player more likely
- Who Is Andrew Lambo?
. Luckily for you, that's what we provide here on RotoGraphs, a 360 degree view of a player's likely future, using my trusty crystal ball that has never once failed me.
Andrew Lambo came up
- For Reference: Mordecai Brown vs. Django Reinhardt
as the Horrible. Indeed, perhaps in many cases, this is the result. In the dual cases of great right-hander Mordecai Brown and great jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt, however, such an injury actually
- Field of Streams: Episode 137 - The Immortal Trevor Brown
Episode 137 - The Immortal Trevor Brown
The latest episode of “Field of Streams” is live!
In this episode, Dylan Higgins and Matthew Dewoskin discuss a weird recording schedule, the Patriot's
- Waiver Wire and the DL: Brown, Blake, Garland and Pineiro
Domonic Brown (2.7% owned) – Wrist – Dominic's return to the Phillies looks to be in late April right now. He entered the season with high expectations, but his wrist injury set him back
- FG on Fox: The Development of Andrew Cashner
When the Padres traded for Andrew Cashner before the 2012 season, he was a reliever with a nasty knuckle slider and a 100 mph fastball -- and injury issues. The Padres believed that he could become
- My Favorite Andrew Miller Fact
, then, is to tell you what you already know, but in some new and different way. When it works, I think we all get to come away feeling smart! Hopefully it continues to work.
What I have for you here is an Andrew
- 2009 Impact Rookie: Andrew McCutchen
Outfielder Andrew McCutchen has been on the prospect map ever since high school - when he was selected in the first round by Pittsburgh in 2005. The Florida native has been one of the Pirates' top
- Taking a Flier on Andrew Cashner as a Starter
After turning to veterans to fill in the back end of the rotation, the Padres are now turning youthful Andrew Cashner into a starting pitcher. Like most Padre pitchers, Cashner has been better
- 2009 Prospect Duds: Andrew Brackman
You know a player is talented when he is ranked as an organization's third best prospect despite not throwing a pitch in his entire pro career spanning two years. The Yankees' Andrew Brackman
- Matt Harvey Out, Andrew Cashner In
this week, and could have value down the stretch.
Before we look at Andrew Cashner, let's quickly examine Harvey. If the reports are true, Harvey will face the Washington Nationals on Friday
- Missing: Andrew Cashner's Hard Slider
Andrew Cashner has always been a tantalizing pitcher. Armed with impressive stuff, he's already shown flashes of brilliance in the rotation. But due to injuries, we haven't been able to see Cashner
- Andrew Cashner Is My Spirit Animal
It is no secret around these digital pages just how big of an Andrew Cashner fan I am. That being said, yet again his season was cut short due to injury. This year it was elbow soreness that caused
- Andrew Miller at Nick Markakis Money
about trying to figure out why Markakis got so expensive. The numbers we have don't exactly support the full commitment.
Later today, or maybe tomorrow, Andrew Miller is likely to sign with a team
- Andrew Bailey: Boston's New Closer
The Boston Red Sox picked up a Jonathan Papelbon replacement on Wednesday, acquiring Andrew Bailey (and Ryan Sweeney) from the Oakland A's for Josh Reddick and prospects Raul Alcantara and Miles Head
- BREAKING: J.J. Putz and Andrew Bailey
puzzling one-game release point data, and his drop in velocity -- which stabilizes quickly -- it's fair to worry about Putz, and to keep Bell rostered.
Andrew Bailey, is in a slightly different
- Andrew Heaney Ready For Prime Time
I've seen Andrew Heaney pitch several times, but the most memorable occasion was at the 2012 Big XII Baseball Tournament. Oklahoma State and Oklahoma were facing off at 9:00 am on a Wednesday. Bleary
- Andrew Cashner Cashes In On Rotation Spot
It was no secret that I was a huge Andrew Cashner fan heading into the season. You could say that he was my sleeper/undervalued pitcher of the year. I drafted him for my LABR team and Tout Wars squad
- Tyson Ross: The New Andrew Cashner
Yesterday I reminded you all about my preseason lovefest for Andrew Cashner. What I neglected to mention because it wasn't all that important, is that Cashner opened the year in the bullpen
- Andrew Miller and The Art of the Dumpster Dive
Facing one of the worst offenses in baseball last night, Andrew Miller yielded 10 baserunners, became the first pitcher to give up a home run to Orlando Hudson all season, and walked away
- Pirates Lock Up Andrew McCutchen
million contract with star center fielder Andrew McCutchen. No need to bury the lede here - this is nothing short of a fantastic signing for the Pirates.
Just 25 years old, McCutchen had just over two
- Q&A: Andrew McCutchen, Thoughtful Superstar
Andrew McCutchen is chasing a batting title -- he leads the National League with a .369 average -- as well as an MVP award. The 25-year-old Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder tops the senior circuit
- Andrew McCutchen's Injury is a Huge Blow
In 2013, Andrew McCutchen was the best player in the National League, and he was rewarded with the NL Most Valuable Player award. In 2014, he and a few others are essentially even for the title
- Prospect Impact: Kolten Wong, Gary Brown, Hak-Ju Lee
ACTION: Giants sign OF Angel Pagan
PROSPECT IMPACT: OF Gary Brown, Giants
The speedy Brown burst onto the scene with a ridiculous 2011 in which he hit .336 with 53 steals, while also racking up 61
- White Sox Sign Andrew Miller Lite(?)
, reports indicated that David Robertson is seeking a four-year deal in the mold of Jonathan Papelbon‘s $50MM contract, and the asking price on top lefty reliever Andrew Miller might not be much lower
- Andrew Zimbalist Says What We're All Thinking
In this article about the Dodgers sale (which raises some of the same questions I'm having about the price), Andrew Zimbalist says this about Frank McCourt:
"It's problematic," Zimbalist said. "He
- Andrew Miller, Wade Davis and the Battle of the Bullpen Aces
of that because that’s exactly what I already did. Here's the top 10:
Dellin Betances, Yankees, 3.5
Wade Davis, Royals, 3.4
Andrew Miller, Orioles 2.2
Kelvin Herrera, Royals, 2.1
- Here Are Andrew Miller's 10 Biggest Spots
is Andrew Miller. I find Miller to be much more pleasing, so here comes stuff about him.
You might remember that, before the year, Miller sustained a fracture in his non-throwing wrist. So
- Yankees Flex Spending Power, Ink Andrew Miller
There are a lot of people out there wary of giving any reliever a four-year contract. That much is understandable; relievers are capricious. Just yesterday, I tried to make the case that Andrew
- Dodgers Flip Andrew Heaney for Howie Kendrick
Well, that didn't take long. A few hours after the reports came out on the trade sending Dee Gordon to the Marlins for Andrew Heaney and stuff, Heaney was redirected to the Angels in exchange
- Andrew McCutchen Clearly Doesn't Have His Swing
- Effective Andrew Miller Helping Boston's Bullpen
is the easiest way to change performance.
Among the replacements was former Miguel Cabrera trade bait Andrew Miller, who is finally starting to pitch like the sixth overall pick in the country is expected
- Andrew Bailey: I Don't Give A [Expletive]
Red Sox reliever Andrew Bailey, quoted at WEEI.com:
“I don’t give a [expletive], frankly. I just want to play and get to the playoffs,” Bailey said. “Whatever role they see fit, that’s what I
- NERD Game Scores: Andrew Heaney Performance Review
Highly Rated Game
Los Angeles AL at Seattle | 16:10 ET
Heaney (20.1 IP, 81 xFIP-) vs. Walker (97.1 IP, 99 xFIP-)
Young Angels left-hander Andrew Heaney has produced, over his first three major-league
- Andrew Werner Was Pulling the String Last Night
As I was flipping channels last night I managed to stumble on the Padres - Dodgers game. Andrew Werner, a 25 year-old rookie making only his third career start, was on the hill for the Padres
- Andrew McCutchen Makes a Modern Baserunning Gaffe
It's not very often you see Andrew McCutchen making a mistake, but it happened yesterday in Pittsburgh's 1-0 loss to the Tigers. A tip of the hat to Pirates broadcasters Tim Neverett and Bob Walk
- Digging Deep: Andrew Werner and Tyler Cloyd
league. Two guys I like this week are Andrew Werner of the Padres and Tyler Cloyd of the Phillies. Both have decent strikeout rates in a small number of innings, so there is a chance they help even
- How Andrew McCutchen Saved His Season
It's possible Andrew McCutchen hasn't been the hottest hitter in baseball, but at the very least, there haven't been many much hotter. What makes the year notable, though, is that — as late as early
- Lonnie Chisenhall & Andrew Werner: Deep League WW
in the category and sometimes that in itself is a win from a freely available player.
Andrew Werner | SD SP | 11% Owned
Werner is a pitcher who admittedly I had never heard of before his call up
- Moneyball Comes to LA: Dodgers Hire Andrew Friedman
Theo Epstein from Boston, and are now not too far away from being a very scary competitor for the rest of the NL Central. And now, the Dodgers have lured Rays GM Andrew Friedman out of Tampa Bay
- Q&A: Andrew Heaney, Miami Marlins Pitching Prospect
Andrew Heaney is one of the reasons the Marlins have a brighter future than you might think. The team has a plethora of talented young arms, and the 22-year-old southpaw is poised to join Jose
- Fantex Selling Stock in Andrew Heaney's Future Earnings
on results. If Fantex and Los Angeles Angels starter Andrew Heaney get their way, fans and investors will soon be able to invest in the future earnings of the Angels left-hander. Heaney and Fantex
- Jesus Guzman and Andrew Miller: Mining the Minors
be a smart power and eligibility add in deep NL-only play. And of course, to keep his roster spot, he'll need to hit. But that's the one thing Guzman does well.
Andrew Miller, Red Sox SP/RP
- Relative Waiver Wire: Danny Salazar, Andrew Heaney
a short week thanks to the All-Star break. We’re required to start players whom we’ve successfully claimed for an entire week before we can reserve them. My bid is in.
SP Andrew Heaney, Miami Marlins
- Miami's Andrew Suarez Searches for 2014 Form
The results weren’t pretty for Andrew Suarez, who battled himself as much as he did the North Carolina Tar Heels in Chapel Hill last Saturday.
Pulled after throwing 60 pitches in just three
- Juan Nicasio and Andrew Oliver: Mining the Minors