- Greatest September Call-Ups
September performances among position-players, sorted by WAR and then by wRC+:
- The Disappearance of Hitters Who Walk More Than They Strike Out
I wondered how rare a feat this is, even given the increase
- Putting Hitters Away with Heat
by fastballs are Lance Lynn and Felix Hernandez with 42 each. Second on the list with 35 each are Cliff Lee and Matt Harvey.
Max Scherzer (116) and Matt Harvey (115) are second and third respectively in terms
- Matt Harvey's High Fastball Dominance
- Getting Strikes on the Edge
Lee, who has 35, but he's only getting those calls 73% of the time. Of course, that's still 138% of league average.
In terms of the overall title, that goes to David Price who is getting called
- (Re) Introducing Hitter Volatility
- Interview: Jed Hoyer
I'm Mike Lee and I am the Deputy Editor of American Thinker. I stepped outside the world of news and politics recently to conduct an e-mail interview with San Diego Padres GM Jed Hoyer. That follows
- Interview: Dave Magadan
- In Defense Of Signing Pedro Feliz
- Is Bill James Right about Ground Ball Pitchers and Injuries?
When Bill James speaks, many in the baseball committee listen intently--as they should. James, while certainly not always correct in his theories (and, really, who is), can always be counted
- Pitcher Rankings with Bill James Projections
On Monday, I looked at the top hitters according to the recently added Bill James Handbook Projections. Today, I will see how the projection system sees the pitchers performing this season.
- The Bill James Hall of Fame--Pitchers
instead of confuse.
In his wonderful book "Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame?" Bill James laid out criteria for two measures he invented to evaluate HOF resumes. He devotes Chapter 14 to describing
- ottoneu Pitcher Rankings with Bill James Projections
We've already seen the new Bill James projections for 2013 used to rank hitters for 5x5 and linear weights, and to rank pitchers for 5x5 - time to look at how ottoneu players should be thinking about
- I'm Tired of the "Next Cliff Lee" Posts
Cliff Lee had, by all accounts, a fantastic 2008 season en route to a Cy Young Award. What made his performance more remarkable was how he seemingly came out of nowhere, a back end of the rotation
- Michael Young For Carlos Lee Makes Sense
useful but overpaid player who doesn't really fit on their roster anymore - Carlos Lee. Swapping Young for Lee could help both franchises.
Like Young, Lee was a good player in his prime, but his
- Derrek Lee and Scott Rolen: Veteran Corner Infield Waiver Wire Help
that's lagging or just need to balance your team via the utility spot, here are a pair of vets you might want to look up.
Derrek Lee |1B| Ownership: ESPN - 31.7% Yahoo - 27%
After a slow start
- Goodbye, Bill
The baseball world lost its oldest former player yesterday, when 100-yr old Bill Werber passed away. Last summer, and practically up until September, Bill and I shared several conversations
- Bill Bergen
- he was that bad of a hitter. However, Griffin's -286.7 wRAA isn't quite the worst in MLB history.
That belongs to Bill Bergen, who nudged Griffin by -1 wRAA - but needed 4,000 less plate
- Does Consistent Play Help a Team Win?
One of the many insights to come from Bill James was the fact that a team's winning percentage could very easily be estimated based simply on the difference between the runs they scored and the runs
- Visualizing Major League Baseball During the Aughts
along any and all comments so I can improve it.
Author's Note: Bill Petti is a Senior Consultant at Gallup and maintains a blog, Signal/Noise, dedicated to musings on various subjects
- Lee and LaRoche
With the off-season winding down and a need at first base, the Orioles targeted Derrek Lee and Adam LaRoche as the best options remaining in free agency. They ended up signing Lee because he
- Park Factors and ERA Estimators: Part I
- Park Factors and ERA Estimators: Part II
- Park Factors and ERA Estimators: Part III
- The Impact on Hitters Who Change Parks
- Adrian Gonzalez's Evolution, Part I
- Adrian Gonzalez’s Evolution, Part II
- True Outcomes and Players Through Time
- Projected Hits Above/Below Average in 2012
- Braves Provide Preview of How to Approach Ike Davis
- MIA-PHI Match-Up: Pitch Type Linear Weights
- Tom Milone and the Scourge of a Weak Four-seamer
- Justin Verlander's Ninth Inning Heat
- Pitcher Aging Curves: Introduction
- Outs Generated Per Plate Appearance Since 1950
- Pitcher Aging Curves: Starters and Relievers
- What's Fueling Adam Dunn's Resurgence?
- How the League Adjusts to Hitters Over Time
- Velocity Decline and Pitcher Attrition by Age
- How Secondary Pitch Usage Impacts Attrition
- Odds of Regaining Velocity, by Age
- Stephen Strasburg, Dazzy Vance and Context
- Identifying First Half MVP Candidates
- At What Point Should We Worry About Velocity Loss?
- When to Believe Velocity Gain
- Slowly Back Away from the Pythag Expectation
- Andrew Werner Was Pulling the String Last Night
- Production Per Swing in 2012
- Revisiting Last Year's Free-Agent Signings
- Hitter Aging Curves: Plate Discipline
- Pitching Inside: The Best of 2012
- Velocity Trends and Pitchers to Watch in 2013
- David Wright: Swinging Off — But Near — the Black
- The Most Backward Starters in MLB
- When You Really Need a Fly Ball
- David Wright Deal a Solid Bet for Mets
- Optimizing Batting Orders Across MLB
- Offensive Volatility and Beating Win Expectancy
- The Difference Pitching on the Edge Makes
- I Fought Marcel And Marcel Won
- Cano, Granderson, and Other CLIFFORD Candidates for 2013
- Felix Hernandez's Velocity
- Lesser CLIFFORD Candidates
- CC Sabathia's Velocity Is Definitely Worth Watching
- Edge%: It's Baaaack
- Does an April Drop in Velocity Predict An Arm Injury?
- Yu Darvish, Defining "Change of Pace"
- How the Rays Leverage the Edge
- Reliever Pitching Metric Correlations, Year-to-Year
- Velocity Trends Through May
- Hitter Volatility Through Mid-June
- Velocity Decline Trends for June, 2012-13
- More on Called Strikes on the Edge
- Matt Moore and Others Likely to Lose Velocity
- Introducing the Interactive Spray Chart Tool
- Cliff Lee
As it turns out, Cliff Lee’s tour and demolition of the National League will be put on hold, at least through the 2010 season. If the blockbuster involving Roy Halladay, the Phillies
- Your Friday Grill & Bill
to this week's edition of the Friday Grill & Bill, which is as efficient as it is a waste of the reader's time, you do know about Bill's grill.
- Derrek Lee Finds New Fantasy Life in Pittsburgh After MLB Trade Deadline
RBI? Sounds like someone's happy with his move to the Steel City. If you're looking for a boost from your corner infield spot, then Lee will certainly fit the bill.
Back in late June, once he
- Bill James Projections - Updated
I thought I'd mention that the Bill James Handbook projections on FanGraphs have been updated with the latest and greatest.
"... many things happen during the offseason that change playing time
- Bill James Handbook Projections
As of now, the 2008 Bill James Handbook projections are available on the player pages.
On a side note, all the minor league players have been synced with the major league players, so
- Bill James Projections: Updated
We've updated the Bill James Handbook Projections to the latest and greatest. They're available right now individually in the player pages. If you want them in a sortable form (with some extra
- Bill James Projections
In addition to the Marcel & CHONE projections, the projections from the Bill James Handbook are now available in the stats pages courtesy of Baseball Info Solutions. They will not be available
- Spotted: Pretend Bill James
Moments before Justin Verlander completed his no-hitter on Saturday, Rogers Sportsnet presented home viewers with this image -- i.e. what sabermetric paterfamilias Bill James would currently look
- Bill "Moneyball" Veeck
I was sitting on a park bench reading Veeck as in Wreck, the memoir of legendary ballclub owner Bill Veeck, when I came across this passage:
Ken Keltner, our third baseman and one-time power hitter
- Bill Simmons on Sabermetrics
We'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bill Simmons' most recent column in which he "finally joins the revolution" and highlights stats such as UZR, WAR, FIP and BABIP!
The more I played around
- Bill James and the Cock-Lebur
A Tragicomedy in Precisely Two Acts.
Like any serberista worth his fashion spectactles, I spend about 90% of my day within arm's reach of Bill James' collected works. Or, okay, maybe collected
- Your Friday Grill & Bill
within five feet of it, it will turn on you the way you previously turned it on the pests of the neighborhood.
This has been Your Friday Grill.
As for your Friday Bill, please allow me to (re
- Bill Hall Signs with Houston
Bill Hall parlayed his solid 2010 with the Boston Red Sox into one last chance at a starting MLB gig. On Friday, Bill Hall signed a one-year deal with a mutual option, guaranteeing the 30-year-old
- 2013 Bill James Handbook Projections!
The 2013 Bill James Handbook Projections courtesy of Baseball Info Solutions are now available on the players pages!
- Bill James Awards
The piece below is not endorsed by Bill James, writer and sabermetrician, or, for that matter, anyone else named Bill James. Mr. James did not contribute to this piece and I make no claim
- Is Bill Hall Back?
For a two year span beginning in 2005, Bill Hall was one of baseball’s best kept secrets. At the ages of 25 and 26, Hall combined to hit .280/.344/.525 while averaging 26 home runs and 13 stolen
- Appreciating Bill Freehan
Yesterday, I was doing some All-Star Game research. In doing so, I came across the name of Bill Freehan, and was surprised to find that he started for the American League at catcher for seven
- Cliff Lee Hates Walks
If Kevin Youkilis is the "Greek God of Walks," does that make Cliff Lee his mortal enemy? It's an interesting query to ponder, considering Cliff Lee's complete refusal to walk batters this season
- 2011 Bill James Handbook Projections!
Kicking off projection season, as usual, are the 2011 Bill James Handbook Projections, courtesy of Baseball Info Solutions.
They're available right now in the player pages!
- 2012 Bill James Handbook Projections
The 2012 Bill James Handbook Projections are now available in the player pages. Big thanks to Baseball Info Solutions for allowing us to publish these for the fourth straight year.
- Carlos Lee is a Fantasy Horse
One of the most undervalued fantasy players year-in and year-out is Carlos Lee. Last year, Lee was on pace for one of his best seasons ever before a finger injury ended his season in early August
- Clifton Phifer Lee
Happy Clifton Phifer Lee Day. I believe they're still partying in Philadelphia.
First things first: You need to take a minute and two seconds out of your day to visit www.cliftonphiferlee.com.
- Lee's Trade Value
In the last four months, I've written two posts with a similar point - a team traded Cliff Lee and got a mediocre return at best in terms of prospects. First, Cleveland's Mark Shapiro made
- Reactions to the Cliff Lee Contract
While Lee’s deal is certainly large, when it was first announced, it slightly surprised me that it wasn’t a lot larger. Given the lack of other elite pitching talent this offseason, the seller’s
- The Lee Elia Profane Robot
On the afternoon of April 29, 1983, Cubs skipper Lee Elia treated Americans to the most gorgeous, most resplendent managerial tirade in the history of history. Please, drink humbly, thankfully
- Bill James Projections: Updated
- Declassified Utility Bill of the Day
- Cliff Lee is Still Awesome
Last night, Cliff Lee dominated the Dodgers, throwing eight shutout innings, while striking out 10 batters without walking anyone. In other words, it was just your normal Cliff Lee start
- Derrek Lee to the Braves
According to multiple sources, the Braves are very close to acquiring Derrek Lee from the Chicago Cubs for a handful of prospects. For the Braves, who made a few deals at the deadline that netted
- Carlos Lee to First?
, the Houston Astros. Cafardo reports that in an attempt to increase Carlos Lee's trade value, the team will move the struggling outfielder to first base to start the 2011 season.
Lee has had a terrible
- Cliff Lee's Results in Texas
Cliff Lee struck out 10 batters, walked one, and didn't allow a home run in 7.2 innings in last night's start against the Tampa Bay Rays. Lee gave up six earned runs, taking the loss in the 6-4
- Carlos Lee and Kevin Mench
A week ago, the Rangers and Brewers swapped leftfielders and a few other players. Texas acquired Carlos Lee and minor leaguer Nelson Cruz for Kevin Mench, Laynce Nix, Francisco Cordero and a minor
- Is There a Trade Market for Carlos Lee?
Last Saturday, Jon Heyman mused via Twitter that he hadn't yet seen any trade interest develop in Astros' first baseman/outfielder Carlos Lee. The tone of Heyman's tweet was one of surprise; he noted
- ADP Crowdsourcing: Cliff Lee
In today’s edition of ADP Crowdsourcing, we stay with the topical trend. We are using pick number instead of round again, so please vote accordingly.
We all knew that Cliff Lee was going to make
- Why Kershaw But Not Lee?
Finishing one out short of his sixth shutout of the season Wednesday night, Cliff Lee capped off a magnificent August by holding the Reds scoreless over 8 2/3 innings. He turned in the following
- Marlins Acquire Carlos Lee
Carlos Lee is heading to Miami. While the 36-year-old first baseman vetoed a trade to the Los Angeles Dodgers last week, Lee accepted a deal was sent to the Miami Marlins on Wednesday. Lee is clearly
- Pirates Acquire Derrek Lee
Just hours after acquiring their potential first baseman of the future (Chris Davis), the Baltimore Orioles shipped off their first baseman of the present – Derrek Lee – to the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Video: Bill James on Colbert Report
The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30cBill Jameswww.colbertnation.comColbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive
Father of Us All Bill James has (a) written
- Cliff Lee Revisted Again
Does anyone remember a stranger season in recent memory than the one Cliff Lee is currently putting together? As we've covered extensively here, Lee came out of the gates pitching like 1988 Orel
- Cliff Lee Stands Alone
of some asterisk or fluke or memorable gaffe.
Cliff Lee is a fine pitcher. Fine like diamonds, not like, say, a Subaru Justy. He's been among the elite starting pitchers going on five straight seasons
- Cliff Lee and the Cost of an Ace
With the Phillies finally admitting that they're not going anywhere fast, Ruben Amaro is talking to teams about Cliff Lee. The Red Sox are reportedly showing the most interest, and despite the fact
- Cliff Lee's Playoff Dominance
Last night's Phillies win closed the book on Cliff Lee's amazing playoff performance, unless he comes back on Thursday out of the pen on two days rest. A couple weeks ago, Marc looked
- The Greatness of Cliff Lee
Cliff Lee spent the first month of the season on the disabled list, not making his season debut until April 30th. While most starting pitchers have already started 11 or 12 games this season, Lee
- Perplexed About Lee
the Astros ace hard to move. The other popular trade candidates are Jarrod Washburn, Paul Maholm, Zach Duke, Jason Marquis, and potentially, Aaron Harang.
All of this brings us to Cliff Lee, currently
- Cliff Lee's Impact On The Phillies
Now that we know the basic structure of Cliff Lee's contract with the Phillies - 5 years, $120 million, plus a vesting option for a sixth year that could take it to $135 million in overall value - we
- Cliff Lee: Still Studly
models, used the tools available at Last Player Picked (currently defunct) and Baseball Prospectus and kept coming away with the same result - Cliff Lee was the most valuable player in the league
- Cliff Lee To Philadelphia
acquisition of Cliff Lee. Amazingly enough, he was able to get one of the game's best pitchers without surrendering any of his highly coveted talents.
Instead of giving up J.A. Happ, Kyle Drabek
- Honoring Derrek Lee
One of the upsides of downtime during the off-season is the freedom it allows for one to stumble upon tidbits and performances he missed throughout the season. Consider this one: Derrek Lee had
- Lee Judge Means Business
Executive Summary: The KC Star's Royals blogger, Lee Judge, recently criticized Wilson Betemit for not taking an 81-mph slider in the ribs with the bases loaded. In order to lend the heft
- Cliff Lee Refreshes MLBTradeRumors
Cliff Lee refreshes MLBTradeRumors. Nothing doing. His nephews told him this was the place to find any and all trade rumors. But it is not the place to find Cliff Lee trade rumors.
He types his
- Crowdsourcing Results: Cano and Lee
Here are the results from this week’s ADP Crowdsourcing, and I’m bothered by what you all had to say about Lee.
My vote: 7
Std Dev: 3.3
- Cliff Lee's Trade Value
Over the next six weeks, most of the General Managers of contending teams will ask themselves the same question - what am I willing to give up to get Cliff Lee? Lee is the big fish in the upcoming
- 2009 Bill James Handbook Projections
The 2009 Bill James Handbook projections are now available on FanGraphs in the individual player pages. Big thanks to Baseball Info Solutions for letting us run these for the 3rd
- Bill James Handbook 2010 Projections
Throwing out the opening pitch of the FanGraphs 2010 projection season are the Bill James Handbook projections. Huge thanks goes out to Baseball Info Solutions for allowing us to publish
- FanGraphs Audio: The Common Man and Bill
In which the platoon is employed.
Pseudonymity -- Pronounced Almost Correctly!
The Twins -- How They're bad!
Physical Insecurities -- Noted!
- 2009 Bill James Handbook Projections
The 2009 Bill James Handbook projections are now available on FanGraphs in the individual player pages. Big thanks to Baseball Info Solutions for letting us run these for the 3rd
- O's Add Derrek Lee
The Baltimore Orioles have continued their Extreme Makeover: Infield Edition by agreeing to terms on a one-year contract with free agent first baseman Derrek Lee. The exact terms of the deal aren't
- Cliff Lee Was Not Living on the Edge
Sometimes a graphic can make the obvious even more obvious. Anyone watching last night knows that Cliff Lee did not look like the guy who took the Rays and the Yankees to school. A look at his pitch
- Reflecting on the Cliff Lee Trade
the moon and then some, the Phillies organization looked elsewhere for pitching depth. General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. is looking like a very smart man.
Cleveland sent veteran southpaw Cliff Lee
- The Amazing Cliff Lee
A couple of weeks ago, I authored a post where I explained why Cliff Lee couldn't continue pitching as well as he had in his first three starts of the season, when he'd allowed two runs and ran
- Cliff Lee, Ace
Regardless of your rooting interests last night, you had to be impressed by the complete domination of Cliff Lee. The Yankees have a great offense, but he made them look foolish all night, keeping
- Carlos Lee: Is There Anything Left?
Carlos Lee is best known for the 6 year, $100M contract he signed with the Astros. While he has not lived up to it as a player, he has be a serviceable fantasy option. His home run power has been
- Curt Schilling is to Bill Gates as NotGraphs is to ???
, not including endorsements. But what he really aspired to was being “Bill Gates rich.”
Once, after an IT guy’s rottweiler died, Schilling presented him with a brand-new pup during an all-staff meeting
- Remembering Bill Terry and Elmer Flick
The Hall of Fame has three new members today. On this day in history, two other members of the Hall of Fame passed away, Bill Terry in 1989 and Elmer Flick in 1971. So much has been written in recent
- Hitter Rankings with Bill James Projections
Just a few days ago, the Bill James Handbook Projections were added to each of the player pages. Today, I will look at the top projected fantasy hitters going into the 2013 season.
A few items
- Lee Smith and the Hall of Fame
Yes, I admit it. That's a pretty neutral headline. Doesn't tell you whether I think Lee Smith is worthy of the Hall of Fame.
Because I don't really know.
Smith appears to be more qualified than
- Eulogizing the Departed: Bill Smith Fired
The first domino has fallen following a cataclysmic 2011 season in Twins Territory, as General Manager Bill Smith was dismissed from the position on Monday. Philosophical differences were cited
- Derrek Lee's 12-Team Mixed Status
Derrek Lee finished 21st in the MVP vote in 2008 on the heels of his .291/.361/.462 season for the NL Central-winning Chicago Cubs. But as impressive as that may be, Lee is a fringe fantasy starter
- Should Anyone Sign Derrek Lee?
Derrek Lee hasn't retired just yet. According to Ken Rosenthal, Lee is looking to play during the upcoming season, but he's looking for the "right opportunity." Lee struggled early on last season
- Imagining Phil Hughes as Cliff Lee
you with a few facts about each player and then some tables to support those facts.
You might have forgotten, but Cliff Lee used to be really bad
Like, for a while
One year, he
- Cliff Lee, The Rangers and Seven Years
If one of Jon Heyman's recent Tweets is to be believed, the Yankees are willing to go seven years with Cliff Lee.
Anyhow, none of this is especially surprising, given the Yankees' resources
- Cliff Lee's Pitch Type Splits
According to MLBAM classifications (with the help of Dave Allen's reclassification algorithm), Cliff Lee has thrown six distinct pitches this season: four-seam fastball (FF), two-seam fastball (FT
- Derrek Lee’s Down Year
If I told you coming into this season that Derrek Lee was going to have the worst season of his career offensively aside from one half season stint as a twenty-three year old, you probably wouldn't
- Contract Crowdsourcing: Cliff Lee
- Cleef Van Lee
- Johan Santana vs Cliff Lee
. Another disclaimer - I'm a Mariners fan, so I'm in love with Cliff Lee at this point, as I'm sure many Phillies fans were last season.
This year, Johan and Lee have some extra intrigue
- The Cliff Lee Trade: Seattle's Perspective
As originally reported by Joel Sherman, and confirmed by most others, the Mariners are on the verge of trading Cliff Lee to the Yankees for a package of prospects headlined by Jesus Montero
- Cliff Lee and Avoiding Free Passes
Cliff Lee is having a season for the ages. His prodigious strikeout to walk ratio this year has been well documented, but it practically deserves a note after every one of his starts. I am going
- Cubs Bring Back Pitching For Lee
Although word has been out for much of the day that Derrek Lee was on the way to Atlanta in a waiver deal, the deal wasn't made official until 5:25 Eastern Time, according to Fox Sports's Ken
- The Dodgers Should Claim Cliff Lee
While this kind of thing is expected, there's still some news today from Jeff Passan of of Yahoo Sports.
Source: Phillies have placed Cliff Lee on waivers. Executives expect him to clear Friday
- David Price, Cliff Lee, and the Others
, 74 called strikeouts
Cliff Lee, 73
Jon Lester, 52
C.J. Wilson, 50
Ubaldo Jimenez, 49
Felix Hernandez, 48
Adam Wainwright, 44
Stephen Strasburg, 42
Bartolo Colon, 42
Chris Sale, 41
- Update: Cliff Lee is Still Good
Is it just me or has there been a recent dearth of articles focused on Cliff Lee lately? It seems like all the major sources used up their Cliff Quota earlier in the year when he looked more like
- A Hypothetical Rangers Trade for Cliff Lee
Source:Cliff Lee is in play in trade talks today. Rangers obviously the most logical landing spot, with 3B Mike Olt as possible centerpiece.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 30, 2012
- Contract Crowdsourcing Results: Cliff Lee
Well, the market might be expecting inflation, but it doesn't seem like FanGraphs readers are. The results for Cliff Lee's contract estimate is in, and it's quite a bit lower than I expected
- Bill James Projections Fun: Pitcher Surprises Edition
On Wednesday, I dove into the recently published Bill James projections and examined how they compared with the actual performances of some of this past season's biggest surprises on the hitting side
- Lee, Ruf, Salazar: Mining the Minors
the likelihood that a player will make his way to, or stay in, the majors during the current season based on various factors (i.e., age, depth chart, recent performance, etc.).
Zach Lee, Dodgers SP
- FanGraphs Audio: Bill Baer of Crashburn Alley
Bill Baer is the proprietor of Phillies internet weblog Crashburn Alley, a volume tweeter, and -- of late -- author of a real book called 100 Things Phillies Fans Should Know & Do Before
- FanGraphs Audio: Handsome Italian Bill Petti
with host Brian Kenny. In either case, he's handsome Italian gentleman Bill Petti. Topics discussed: the Mets, Petti's academic training in political science, the Mets, Petti's baseball-oriented
- Bill James Projections Fun: Hitter Surprises Edition
One of the most exciting times of the off-season is when the first projection set is released. We now have the Bill James system on the player pages for our analyzational (I like making up words
- "Does Bill James Even Like to Watch Baseball?"
Sullivan discussing Bill James' projections for some Boston Red Sox players (h/t Repoz). Ryan and Sullivan were aghast that Bill James would project Jon Lester for just 14 wins in 2011, joking
- Bill Petti, Your Next Dark Overlord
I may have only known Bill Petti for a couple of days -- mostly because I thought both he and Justin Bopp were named "Justin Bopp" -- but I can tell you for certain: He is the most handsome male
- The Whole of the Nationals' Hidden Lee Streak
. Between 2010-2013, Cliff Lee threw 70.5% of his pitches for strikes, as a starting pitcher. He struck out a quarter of his opponents. The Nationals struck out right around a quarter of their opponents
- Gooble Gobble, Bill Simmons Is Now One of Us
Bill Simmons, ESPN's Sports Guy, may be the most popular sports columnist on the internet, but until recently he was a saber denier, writing about how people like you and me were making baseball less
- Daily Notes, Beginning with a Line by Bill James
. Today's Complete Schedule
Featured Game: Washington at Philadelphia, 19:05 ET
Regarding a Thing Bill James Said
Bill James said -- while promoting his true-crime book last year on Sounds of Young
- A Pitchf/x Look at Cliff Lee's Command
Everyone knows that Cliff Lee is having an extraordinary season. Through 174 innings he has just 11 unintentional base on balls. That works out to 0.57 BB per nine innings. Even with regression
- Highlights of the Bill James Player Rater, 1993 Edition
As I've noted already in two posts here at the site, I've recently purchased the Bill James Player Ratings Books for the years 1993 through 1995.
What I perhaps have not made clear yet is how I
- Highlights of the Bill James Player Rater, 1994 Edition
Age ain't nothin' but a number... on Rudy Seanez's Dodger uniform.
Last week, I played the part of Bill James' scrivener, rendering into electronic print five haphazardly chosen, but still
- Bill Murray on the Value of Baseball Fandom, Accidentally
and more renewable energy resources or, alternatively, cleaning the bathroom just once ever.
American actor and freelance ubermensch Bill Murray, during the course of some sort of reddit social hour
- Highlights of the Bill James Player Rater, 1995 Edition
Our exercise in plagiarism continues today, as we enjoy together some choice passages from the 1995 edition of the Bill James Player Ratings Book.
The reader will notice that, in what follows
- Dave Cameron Blink Watch: Blink+ for Bill James
Recently, godfather of sabermetrics himself Bill James appeared alongside Kenny. Below is the data concerning his blinking patterns.
Beg and End mark the beginning and end marks of James' time
- Old News: Bill James on Sounds of Young America
by listening to an April 2008 interview with Bill James on PRI's The Sounds of Young America (TSOYA).
CLICK HERE FOR AUDIO
TSOYA host Jesse Thorn generally -- although not exclusively -- interviews
- Dave Cameron Blink Watch: Bill Petti and Blink+
Your browser does not support iframes.
With the advent of the offseason, FanGraphs writers Dave Cameron and Bill Petti have resumed their roles as guests on MLB Network's Clubhouse Confidential
- Promotional Ideas Courtesy the Actual Ghost of Bill Veeck
was less surprised than I might have otherwise been when, while working quietly in my study last night, I was visited by the ghost-specter of former and long-dead MLB executive Bill Veeck. After
- 2B Ranking Using Bill James 2012 Projections
Yesterday, the Bill James's Projections were added to all the player pages here at Fangraphs. Bill James's numbers seem to be on the optimistic side and are probably not regressed as much as other
- Bringing Bill James' Famous Arbitration Case to 2014
Bill James, The New Bill James Historical Abstract
The case that Bill James made for George Bell in 1985, and later informed his readers about when he released his Historical
- Cliff Lee Was Everything You Could've Wanted
being terrible cost me the opportunity to watch more Cliff Lee on my favorite team. I knew he was awesome when he was first brought in, but I didn't appreciate the extent until I got to watch him every
- Dae-ho Lee Ends Up In Seattle
There's something that should probably be acknowledged from the beginning. The Mariners have signed Dae-ho Lee to a minor-league contract. Mostly, we ignore players signed to minor-league contracts
- What the Cliff Lee Signing Means for Texas
He wasn't going to give the Rangers a "hometown discount," but Cliff Lee was willing to re-sign with the Texas Rangers. According to Rangers CEO Chuck Greenberg, Lee was willing to stay
- ottoneu Hitter Rankings with Bill James Projections
this off-season - 5x5 rankings come out, and Chad follows with the ottoneu edition. Sure enough, here three cuts of linear weights points rankings of the top 20 hitters for 2013, based on the Bill James
- Pondering "Inside Heat" by Roz Lee
- Cliff Lee and Maxing Out His Innings
One of the benefits of never walking anyone is that you generally throw fewer pitches per batter and get to last deeper in games. With Cliff Lee running 1910-like walk rates his bullpen can
- Daily Notes: A More Better Cliff Lee?
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of Daily Notes.
1. Featured Game: Boston at Philadelphia, 13:35 ET
2. Largely Superfluous Video: Cliff Lee's May 15th Start
- Cliff Lee: Complete Games, Shutouts, And Cy Youngs
In his final start of August, Cliff Lee went 8 and 2/3 innings without allowing a run. Lee plunked Miguel Cairo with pitch number 117, cuing Ryan Madson to get the game's final out. Last night
- Cliff Lee's Suspension Is Just Too Much
brought up endlessly as the penalties have gotten ever more severe for pitchers with the temerity to plunk, to graze, even to brush back.
Now Cliff Lee has been suspended for five regular-season
- The Cliff Lee Trade: New York's Perspective
It's not official yet, but all indications point to the Yankees and the Mariners completing a deal for Cliff Lee before tonight's game, in which Lee was scheduled to face his new team. As Dave
- Cliff Lee Just Can't Buy a Win
on the season.
We’re talking about Cliff Lee, of course, and he is still awesome.
Actually, you could make the case that in many ways he had one of his finest seasons last year. No qualified
- Why I Might Rather Trade for Cliff Lee
But Cole Hamels isn't the only interesting piece of trade-bait in Philadelphia. And in fact, if I was a team like the Red Sox or the Padres, I might actually target Cliff Lee instead.
Given his age
- 28 Scoreless: Breaking Down Cliff Lee's Streak
Indians lefty Cliff Lee recently put the finishing touches on an absolutely incredible April. Ironically, the 6 IP, 3 ER, 3K performance on Wednesday night---one many pitchers would love to have
- Cliff Lee to Texas for Justin Smoak, Finalized
Everybody thought earlier today that Cliff Lee would be on his way out of Seattle. They were right. Instead of heading to the visitor's clubhouse in Seattle to join the New York Yankees, however
- Yu Darvish, Cliff Lee, and Everyone's Loss
Masahiro Tanaka, and now the elbow might have claimed Yu Darvish and Cliff Lee.
The two have different injuries. Darvish has a slight tear of the UCL, and the overwhelming likelihood is Tommy John
- Double-A Debuts: Yasiel Puig And Zach Lee
In Chattanooga, Top-100 prospects Yasiel Puig and Zach Lee debuted against a Huntsville (Brewers) team with few prospects of note. On paper, both excelled with Puig reaching base in three of four
- Cliff Lee Finds the NL to His Liking
Cliff Lee has taken to the NL well. He is 4-0 in his first four starts:+-------+----+----+----+----+----+----+
| | IP | H | R | HR | BB | K
- Why Cliff Lee's Injury is Somewhat Surprising
getting lit up by the fifth. There are a lot of useful skills a pitcher can have, durability is one of them.
Cliff Lee gets a lot of praise in these pages, and for good reason. I'm sure some of us
- First Base Update: Morales, Morneau, Lee
at DH, which is fine for them but not your fantasy team.
Derrek Lee | Orioles
Offseason wrist surgery and nagging soreness has held Lee back this spring, not to mention a foul ball hit off his foot
- Hak-Ju Lee Leads Impressive Wave of Talent
The 18-year-old infielder showed an advance approach at the plate for his age. He hit .330/.399/.420 in 264 at-bats. Lee posted a more than respectable walk rate of 10.5 BB
- Cliff Lee and Matt Cain Pitch Into History
Last night, Cliff Lee and Matt Cain put on a pitching duel for the ages. Cain threw shutout nine innings on just 91 pitches before Bruce Bochy pinch-hit for him, while Lee managed to go 10 scoreless
- Unreliable Source: "Cliff Lee to Stay in Texas"
Last night, Texas Governor Ricky Perry, making an appearance on TV's The Daily Show, meditated briefly on the fate of very coveted free agent Cliff Lee.
Via the magic of the internet, you can
- Roy Halladay & Cliff Lee: Efficiency Experts
When Cliff Lee spurned both the Rangers and Yankees for the Phillies earlier this offseason, it set up the Phillies rotation to be akin to the Miami Heat starting five, except without all the reality
- Spectacles/Mustache Package Deal: Lee Tunnell
insightful NotGraphs Chat) we are now treated to such a meeting in the person of former major-leaguer Lee Tunnell.
A brief tour of Tunnell's player page reveals that he was just a moderately successful
- NL Outfield Fallers: Bay, Lee, Ibanez
. At a time when much is going wrong for the Mets—don't underestimate the residual effect this can have on fantasy—Bay actually makes for a good value pick.
Carlos Lee, Astros
Collated ADP: 149 (131; 134
- Cliff Lee T-Shirt: Failure of Form and Function
What you see above is Cliff Lee's "Players Choice Signature Series T-Shirt," designed with input from the man himself, and you too can own one for just $24.99. According to the MLB shop
- A Pitch F/X Look at Cliff Lee
Lee has a tremendous variety of movement in his pitches. He has three pitches that tail away from righties (fourseam, twoseam, changeup) and a nasty curveball with a ton of movement. For most
- What the Cliff Lee Signing Means for New York
discussed in the event they miss on Cliff Lee. While we don't know which players the Yankees have identified, we do know one thing: none of them is as good an option as Cliff Lee. But with Lee spurning
- Hafner, Lee, Webb and McCarthy: DL Options
is hitting 0.345 with 5 home runs. He definitely belongs on some owner's DL or bench. A no brainer.
Derrek Lee (Oblique) 33.4% owned – Derrek begins baseball activities today and is able to come off
- McCain Introduces Bill To Ban NFL Blackouts, MLB Blackouts Untouched
Senator John McCain introduced a bill in the Senate last week which aims to ban local TV blackouts for sporting events played in publicly-financed stadiums. But don't get too excited baseball fans
- What Do The Yankees Do If They Don't Get Cliff Lee?
The overwhelming expectation is that Cliff Lee will end up as a Yankee. They have the resources to pay him more than anyone else, the need for him in their rotation, and they expressed heavy interest
- Five Notable Hitting Projections from the Bill James Handbook 2010
I hold in my hands the first of the big offseason publications: The Bill James Handbook 2010. "Carson," you might be asking, "how are you holding the book in your hands, plural, and typing
- Bill Geivett on Brett Anderson: Rockies Exec Breaks Down a Deal
Bill Geivett says Brett Anderson will be successful pitching at Coors Field. The Colorado Rockies acquired the 26-year-old left-hander from the Oakland A’s this past December as part of a three
- Why Having Cliff Lee Start Game 3 Isn't A Big Deal
When the ALCS kicks off in Arlington on Friday night, Texas won't have their best player on the field. Because he carried the Rangers past the Rays last night, Cliff Lee won't start again until Game