- Effectively Wild Episode 989: A Reading from the Bill James Bible
Ben and Sam read a passage from The New Bill James New Historical Abstract and discuss whether contemporary observations of baseball players still have something to add to today's closer
- Mixing Fantasy & Reality: Nunez & Miller
passed. If an owner has a big enough bench, they may want to pick up Arroyo as a handcuff for Nunez.
2017 Projection: 550 PA, .275 AVG, 12 HR, 30 SB, 70 Runs, 65 RBI
Brad Miller: 2017
- The Kyle Schwarber-Andrew Miller Dance
on their World Series roster, and one of them is Ryan Merritt, the soft-tossing rookie that they're likely hoping they don't have to use. For all intents and purposes, Andrew Miller is the only lefty
- The Dream of the '70s Is Alive in Andrew Miller
of this enthusiasm regarding bullpen usage has been Cleveland left-hander Andrew Miller. And for good reason: not only has Miller been predictably effective, but he's also been ubiquitous. Following last
- So You Want to Beat Andrew Miller: A Walkthrough
: the 6-foot-7 swamp monster that comes out of their bullpen the moment they get a lead by the name of Andrew Miller.
He just won the ALCS MVP. In this postseason, he's thrown 20 scoreless innings
- Andrew Miller on the Evolution of his Slider
If you didn’t already know that Andrew Miller has a great slider, you do now. The lanky left-hander has been dominating the postseason. He’s also been garnering plenty of media attention, including
- Andrew Miller's New Harder Slider
Miller's great slider: “For some reason his slider seems like he’s playing with it a little more," he told reporters Sunday. "I felt like I saw two different sliders. Sometimes it’s more of a short
- Andrew Miller's Postseason Dominance in Context
This morning, I wrote about Andrew Miller's postseason dominance, and compared his current usage to how Mariano Rivera was deployed by the Yankees during their World Series runs. I noted Miller's
- Andrew Miller Is the Perfect Relief Pitcher
games against any good team is a massive challenge. And the idea of winning four straight against Andrew Miller's team seems downright impossible, because right now, Andrew Miller is basically
- Addison Reed Has Become Andrew Miller-Lite
Over the last calendar year, Andrew Miller has a 1.81 ERA and a 2.22 FIP. Those dominant numbers, combined with the compelling nature of Miller's complete transformation, have rightfully earned him
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller
Sam Miller is editor-in-chief of Baseball Prospectus and co-author, with Ben Lindbergh, of The Only Rule Is It Has to Work. He's also the guest on this edition of FanGraphs Audio
- The Three Silliest Andrew Miller Swings of the Year
Andrew Miller made a batter look silly last night. Andrew Miller makes batters look silly most nights, but last night, a batter looked particularly silly. One surefire way to identify a batter who
- Brad Miller Becomes a Slugging Corner Infielder
, et al. That player is Rays shortstop Brad Miller.
Miller was traded from Seattle to Tampa Bay this offseason in the Nate Karns trade after three uninspiring seasons with the Mariners
- Scouting the Yankees' Return for Andrew Miller
The package netted by Brian Cashman and the Yankees in exchange for Andrew Miller is headlined by two big names in OF Clint Frazier and LHP Justus Sheffield (both of whom project as average-or-better
- Sunday Notes: Giants' Law, Twins' May, Miller's Pop, January, more
infielders have reached double figures in home runs. Eleven more have at least seven home runs.
Brad Miller is among them. In his first season with Tampa Bay, the former Mariner has already left the yard
- The Padres Possess the Andrew Miller Backup Plan
We're soon to see the Yankees trade away at least one dominant left-handed reliever in Aroldis Chapman, and it's very possible they deal away a second dominant left-handed reliever in Andrew Miller
- My Favorite Andrew Miller Fact
Miller fun fact. Not just a fun fact -- my absolute favorite Andrew Miller fun fact, at least of the moment, at least as long as it's factual. It's not like you didn't already know that Andrew Miller
- It's Rock Bottom for Shelby Miller
Shelby Miller just started his tenth game of the season. He has, to his name, all of one single quality start. It came a few weeks ago, in Atlanta, where Miller went to work against one of the worst
- Diagnosing Shelby Miller's Troubles
Shelby Miller just pitched six innings and allowed just two runs on Saturday. For a pitcher who entered that game having given up 22 runs in 23.1 innings -- while also recording as many walks
- Here Are Andrew Miller's 10 Biggest Spots
is Andrew Miller. I find Miller to be much more pleasing, so here comes stuff about him.
You might remember that, before the year, Miller sustained a fracture in his non-throwing wrist. So
- Shelby Miller on Changing His Mix
Shelby Miller’s pitch usage changed last year. Per PITCHf/x, his cutter percentage jumped from 5.8% to 20.7% while his curveball percentage fell from 19.5% to 9.7%. He also employed his fastball
- Evaluating the Prospects in the Shelby Miller Trade
The Atlanta Braves continued dealing from their Major League roster this week, sending Shelby Miller and relief prospect Gabe Speier to the Arizona Diamondbacks for oufielder Ender Inciarte, recent
- Projecting the Prospects in the Shelby Miller Trade
As you've certainly heard by now, the Diamondbacks swung a deal for Shelby Miller (and Gabe Speier) on Wednesday night. The trade gives the D-Backs another bona-fide starter to slot behind
- Attempting to Rationalize the Shelby Miller Trade
to get at is this: the trade value on the open market for Dansby Swanson, Aaron Blair, and Ender Inciarte is much greater than one Shelby Miller, but if you are the Diamondbacks and presented one choice
- Effectively Wild Episode 782: Shelby Miller Madness, and a Zobrist-Castro Comparison
Ben and Sam discuss the Shelby Miller trade between the Diamondbacks and Braves, and the Cubs' Starlin Castro trade and Ben Zobrist signing.
- Trade Implications: Miller's Mint, Castro & Lind On the Move
Swanson, & Aaron Blair
To ARI: Shelby Miller & Gabe Speier
Primary piece(s): Obviously when you pay that kind of sum, the returns had damn-well better be the primary piece. Arizona may have
- Diamondbacks Pay for Ace, Get Shelby Miller
Just yesterday, we thought the Wade Miley trade might've been lopsided. And, you know, maybe. But now we're on another level. Forget the Wade Miley trade. Now we have the Shelby Miller trade. Kudos
- Braves Get Haul from Diamondbacks for Shelby Miller
The Braves have reportedly sent Shelby Miller to the Diamondbacks for 25-year-old outfielder Ender Inciarte, 23-year-old right-hander Aaron Blair, and last year's number one overall pick, 21-year-old
- Shelby Miller: Pseudo-Prospect
As a part of whatever their plan is, the Braves have reportedly made Shelby Miller available, and they're taking calls from almost everyone. Miller has three more years of team control, so
- Miller Time And Tropicana
A mixture of beer and orange juice is called a brass monkey. Occasionally, uncreative types will call it a beermosa. A mixture of Miller High Life and Tropicana orange juice is called disgusting
- Some Belated Thoughts on the Miller-Karns Deal
with plenty of years of control remaining, shortstop Brad Miller and starting pitcher Nate Karns. I agree with most of Dave Cameron's thoughts in the immediate wake the trade: one's opinion
- The Daily Grind: Thor, Flande, Adonis, Miller
Daily DFS - Syndergaard, Strasburg
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - Tillman, Shoemaker, Flande, Adonis, Miller
1. Daily DFS - Syndergaard, Strasburg
- Bradding Miller
Too big of a reach on the title?
As I tend to do on Sundays when considering a topic for my Monday post on shortstops, I was perusing the leaderboards and settled on Brad Miller as today's topic
- Miller's Tale
Spoiler Alert: We’re going to tell you two sentences from now where we come down on the subject of Brad Miller, enigmatic Mariner. Jump to the next paragraph if you don’t want to know until the end
- Shelby Miller, the Cutter, and Quality of Opposition
The past year has been a mixed bag for Shelby Miller. In these digital pages during 2014, Dave discussed him being broken during April, Eno postulated on whether he was fixed following the regular
- Buying High on Shelby Miller
Last year Shelby Miller had a sophomore slump that saw him be worth 0.5 WAR over the course of 31 starts, a very poor number for such a highly regarded prospect coming off of an impressive rookie
- Revisiting the Chris Taylor vs. Brad Miller Debate
to the start of the season, one player I was keeping a close eye on was Chris Taylor. Being stuck in a position battle with Brad Miller made him a questionable target, but I had confidence that he
- Brad Miller Puts On Weight, Results To Be Determined
% increase in bat speed," Nathan found, and that sort of bat speed increase can lead to an increase of 4.3% in batted ball distance.
And so this year, Mariners shortstop Brad Miller decided to put
- Yankees Flex Spending Power, Ink Andrew Miller
Miller would be worth Nick Markakis money. And now, Miller has been given Nick Markakis money, almost. He gets the same four years, but Miller's getting $36 million, not $44 million. This kind of contract
- Andrew Miller at Nick Markakis Money
about trying to figure out why Markakis got so expensive. The numbers we have don't exactly support the full commitment.
Later today, or maybe tomorrow, Andrew Miller is likely to sign with a team
- Quick Looks at DeSclafani, Miller and Greene
him up. In a small sample in 2014, he had a 25% K% and 0% BB% as a reliever (8.2 IP).
Why I watched: He just got traded.
Game(s) Watched: 9/23/13 vs Cubs
- Can The Braves Fix Shelby Miller?
The title of this post presupposes a few things -- that new Brave Shelby Miller is broken; that Shelby Miller can be fixed; that Shelby Miller has not yet been fixed; that some teams are more likely
- White Sox Sign Andrew Miller Lite(?)
, reports indicated that David Robertson is seeking a four-year deal in the mold of Jonathan Papelbon‘s $50MM contract, and the asking price on top lefty reliever Andrew Miller might not be much lower
- The Fascinating Jason Heyward/Shelby Miller Swap
in baseball fit that description as well as the St. Louis Cardinals, so while we didn't hear any pre-deal rumors of the deal that sent Shelby Miller and Tyrell Jenkins to Atlanta for Heyward and Jordan
- Braves, Cardinals Swap Jason Heyward, Shelby Miller
We'll get a full write-up on this deal up soon, but the Cardinals and Braves just made a fun trade, with the Braves shipping Jason Heyward and Jordan Walden to St. Louis for Shelby Miller and Tyrell
- Brad Miller Now Likes Striking Out
I made a decision while trying to win a championship last season which I didn't regret at the time, but now must deal with. I traded for Brad Miller. I didn't want him. He was a throw in for a trade
- Bill James Awards
The piece below is not endorsed by Bill James, writer and sabermetrician, or, for that matter, anyone else named Bill James. Mr. James did not contribute to this piece and I make no claim
- Shelby Miller: Fixed?
that pitcher doesn't have any obvious checkmarks on the checklist? What do you say about Shelby Miller's up-and-down year so far?
Before I talk to any pitcher, I sketch out something like the following table
- Andrew Miller, Wade Davis and the Battle of the Bullpen Aces
of that because that’s exactly what I already did. Here's the top 10:
Dellin Betances, Yankees, 3.5
Wade Davis, Royals, 3.4
Andrew Miller, Orioles 2.2
Kelvin Herrera, Royals, 2.1
- Relative Waiver Wire: Brad Miller, Aaron Hicks
a time or three. Those players are unlikely to capture imaginations, although an automatic dismissal is often hasty.
2B/SS Brad Miller, Seattle Mariners
Ownership: CBS 23% | Yahoo! 30
- The Change: Carlos Carrasco, Shelby Miller, Trevor May
We call it The Change, but in today's case, we might have three instances where change looks like it's happened... but it hasn't. Is it possible that Carlos Carrasco, Shelby Miller and Trevor May
- Royals are Foolishly Thinking about Lackey and Miller
found this cute little rumor:
#Royals and #RedSox could match up on a trade, as Kansas City reportedly likes Andrew Miller and John Lackey: http://t.co/Sw8ipEDAm6
— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) July
- Bringing Bill James' Famous Arbitration Case to 2014
Bill James, The New Bill James Historical Abstract
The case that Bill James made for George Bell in 1985, and later informed his readers about when he released his Historical
- Pitch Movement Benchmarks
- Promotional Ideas Courtesy the Actual Ghost of Bill Veeck
was less surprised than I might have otherwise been when, while working quietly in my study last night, I was visited by the ghost-specter of former and long-dead MLB executive Bill Veeck. After
- Important Life Questions And Brad Miller
. I've been dealing with a lot of this philosophical life stuff recently, and it's been difficult.
I'm talking, of course, about Brad Miller, and it seems I'm not alone, as the baseball community
- Can You Trust Shelby Miller?
Shelby Miller looked broken after his first two starts of the year. Though it's tough to overreact to just two starts, Miller did come with some concerns entering the season. After struggling down
- Tightening Brad Miller's Leash
Brad Miller is no longer taking walks or getting hits. That’s obviously a problem, because it means he’s killing your team in average, failing to drive in runs and not getting on base to score runs
- Shelby Miller Looks Broken
Last October, Shelby Miller became something of a mystery. After spending the year in the Cardinals rotation and developing into one of the league's best young hurlers, Miller became nothing more
- Bill Murray on the Value of Baseball Fandom, Accidentally
and more renewable energy resources or, alternatively, cleaning the bathroom just once ever.
American actor and freelance ubermensch Bill Murray, during the course of some sort of reddit social hour
- Remembering Bill Terry and Elmer Flick
The Hall of Fame has three new members today. On this day in history, two other members of the Hall of Fame passed away, Bill Terry in 1989 and Elmer Flick in 1971. So much has been written in recent
- Effectively Wild Episode 356: Bill James' Predictions for 2015, and Our Predictions for 2030
Ben and Sam review Bill James' old baseball predictions for 2015, then issue their own for 2030.
- Shelby Miller And Getting It Together
It’s almost as if at some point in 2012, someone attended one of Shelby Miller’s Triple-A outings and yelled, “Hey Shelby, get it together!”
Well, Miller has gotten it together, following up
- Shelby Miller Gets Married, Pedicures
Sharing space with the lawyers, doctors, and management consultants with quirky artisanal side businesses in this weekend's New York Times weddings section was Shelby Miller, who married his
- The Bill James Hall of Fame--Pitchers
instead of confuse.
In his wonderful book "Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame?" Bill James laid out criteria for two measures he invented to evaluate HOF resumes. He devotes Chapter 14 to describing
- Introducing the Interactive Spray Chart Tool
- Breaking down Brad Miller for 2014
Believe it or not, when I solicited future shortstop topics last week, the name that came up the most was Brad Miller of the Seattle Mariners.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Miller just fine, and I
- Matt Moore and Others Likely to Lose Velocity
- More on Called Strikes on the Edge
- Getting Strikes on the Edge
- Velocity Decline Trends for June, 2012-13
- Brad Miller Is Worth Claiming
Unable to stomach Brendan Ryan and his .230 wOBA as the team's primary shortstop any longer, the Seattle Mariners have reportedly called up 23-year-old Brad Miller in an attempt to breathe some life
- How Shelby Miller Resembles the Model Starting Pitcher
. Certainly, you wouldn't expect to see his name linked to that of a right-handed young starter with basically two pitches. In terms of scouting reports, Cliff Lee and Shelby Miller don't have a whole lot
- Putting Hitters Away with Heat
total where each strikeout came on a fastball? That would be the Cardinals' Shelby Miller. Miller struck out 13 Rockies (walking none, by the way) over nine innings on May 10th, all coming
- Hitter Volatility Through Mid-June
- Velocity Trends Through May
- Reliever Pitching Metric Correlations, Year-to-Year
- How the Rays Leverage the Edge
- McCain Introduces Bill To Ban NFL Blackouts, MLB Blackouts Untouched
Senator John McCain introduced a bill in the Senate last week which aims to ban local TV blackouts for sporting events played in publicly-financed stadiums. But don't get too excited baseball fans
- Yu Darvish, Defining "Change of Pace"
- Your Friday Grill & Bill
to this week's edition of the Friday Grill & Bill, which is as efficient as it is a waste of the reader's time, you do know about Bill's grill.
- Your Friday Grill & Bill
within five feet of it, it will turn on you the way you previously turned it on the pests of the neighborhood.
This has been Your Friday Grill.
As for your Friday Bill, please allow me to (re
- Tony Cingrani, Shelby Miller and the Two-Pitch Approach
The rookies are taking over. After a handful of major-league starts, Tony Cingrani and Shelby Miller have exceeded early expectations. While they were never compared to each other in the minors, both
- Matt Harvey's High Fastball Dominance
Pitches) ranks third (17%) behind Zach McAllister (19.7%) and Shelby Miller (19.1%). Harvey also ranks fifth in terms of the velocity of his high fastballs -- 95 mph.
Only 26 pitchers have featured
- Does an April Drop in Velocity Predict An Arm Injury?
- Appreciating Bill Freehan
Yesterday, I was doing some All-Star Game research. In doing so, I came across the name of Bill Freehan, and was surprised to find that he started for the American League at catcher for seven
- Edge%: It's Baaaack
- Duane Kuiper Enjoys Jon Miller... and a Bottle of Pinot
Strange thing. There's something in here about Duane Kuiper typing in 'FanGraphs' on a computer and a revealing Jon Miller popping up with a bottle of Pinot Noir. I can't make heads or tails
- Q&A: Jon Miller, Hall of Fame Broadcaster
The voice is instantly recognizable. So is the easygoing style and depth of knowledge that makes him one of the best play-by-play announcers in baseball. No one calls a game quite like Jon Miller
- CC Sabathia's Velocity Is Definitely Worth Watching
- Bill "Moneyball" Veeck
I was sitting on a park bench reading Veeck as in Wreck, the memoir of legendary ballclub owner Bill Veeck, when I came across this passage:
Ken Keltner, our third baseman and one-time power hitter
- Is Bill James Right about Ground Ball Pitchers and Injuries?
When Bill James speaks, many in the baseball committee listen intently--as they should. James, while certainly not always correct in his theories (and, really, who is), can always be counted
- Lesser CLIFFORD Candidates
- Felix Hernandez's Velocity
- Dave Cameron Blink Watch: Blink+ for Bill James
Recently, godfather of sabermetrics himself Bill James appeared alongside Kenny. Below is the data concerning his blinking patterns.
Beg and End mark the beginning and end marks of James' time
- Cano, Granderson, and Other CLIFFORD Candidates for 2013
- I Fought Marcel And Marcel Won
- The Difference Pitching on the Edge Makes
- Offensive Volatility and Beating Win Expectancy
- (Re) Introducing Hitter Volatility
- Optimizing Batting Orders Across MLB
- ottoneu Pitcher Rankings with Bill James Projections
We've already seen the new Bill James projections for 2013 used to rank hitters for 5x5 and linear weights, and to rank pitchers for 5x5 - time to look at how ottoneu players should be thinking about
- David Wright Deal a Solid Bet for Mets
- Marvin Miller's Legacy, and the Decline of Labor
; — Interview with Marvin Miller, 2008, after asking the Hall of Fame to stop nominating him
Since Marvin Miller's death, there has been a small but respectful chorus of voices calling for Miller's
- ottoneu Hitter Rankings with Bill James Projections
this off-season - 5x5 rankings come out, and Chad follows with the ottoneu edition. Sure enough, here three cuts of linear weights points rankings of the top 20 hitters for 2013, based on the Bill James
- Bill James Projections Fun: Pitcher Surprises Edition
On Wednesday, I dove into the recently published Bill James projections and examined how they compared with the actual performances of some of this past season's biggest surprises on the hitting side
- Pitcher Rankings with Bill James Projections
On Monday, I looked at the top hitters according to the recently added Bill James Handbook Projections. Today, I will see how the projection system sees the pitchers performing this season.
- Bill James Projections Fun: Hitter Surprises Edition
One of the most exciting times of the off-season is when the first projection set is released. We now have the Bill James system on the player pages for our analyzational (I like making up words
- Dave Cameron Blink Watch: Bill Petti and Blink+
Your browser does not support iframes.
With the advent of the offseason, FanGraphs writers Dave Cameron and Bill Petti have resumed their roles as guests on MLB Network's Clubhouse Confidential
- Hitter Rankings with Bill James Projections
Just a few days ago, the Bill James Handbook Projections were added to each of the player pages. Today, I will look at the top projected fantasy hitters going into the 2013 season.
A few items
- When You Really Need a Fly Ball
- 2013 Bill James Handbook Projections!
The 2013 Bill James Handbook Projections courtesy of Baseball Info Solutions are now available on the players pages!
- The Most Backward Starters in MLB
- David Wright: Swinging Off — But Near — the Black
- Velocity Trends and Pitchers to Watch in 2013
- Pitching Inside: The Best of 2012
- Hitter Aging Curves: Plate Discipline
- Daily Notes, Feat. a Summary of Shelby Miller's Debut
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of Daily Notes.
1. A Brief Note Regarding the Regular Season
2. Summary: Shelby Miller's First MLB Start
3. Forthcoming Games
- Revisiting Last Year's Free-Agent Signings
- Daily Notes, Featuring the Miller's Tale
. Today's Complete Schedule
Featured Game: Milwaukee at Washington, 13:05 ET
Regarding the Original Miller's Tale
In Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, a miller tells a story about a carpenter
- Production Per Swing in 2012
- Shelby Miller's Debut, Animated
Cardinals right-hander Shelby Miller was ranked fourth overall among all prospects by our Marc Hulet on his preseason top-100 list and within the top 10 on most other lists of that sort. Despite
- Andrew Werner Was Pulling the String Last Night
- Greatest September Call-Ups
September performances among position-players, sorted by WAR and then by wRC+:
- Slowly Back Away from the Pythag Expectation
- Is Shelby Miller ready?
Yes. No. Maybe? I don't know. 2012 has been an enigmatic year for the 21-year-old Texan. After being rated highly coming into the year Shelby Miller is the not-so-proud owner of a 5.19 ERA
- When to Believe Velocity Gain
- Curt Schilling is to Bill Gates as NotGraphs is to ???
, not including endorsements. But what he really aspired to was being “Bill Gates rich.”
Once, after an IT guy’s rottweiler died, Schilling presented him with a brand-new pup during an all-staff meeting
- At What Point Should We Worry About Velocity Loss?
- Identifying First Half MVP Candidates
- Stephen Strasburg, Dazzy Vance and Context
- The Disappearance of Hitters Who Walk More Than They Strike Out
- Odds of Regaining Velocity, by Age
- How Secondary Pitch Usage Impacts Attrition
- Effective Andrew Miller Helping Boston's Bullpen
is the easiest way to change performance.
Among the replacements was former Miguel Cabrera trade bait Andrew Miller, who is finally starting to pitch like the sixth overall pick in the country is expected
- Velocity Decline and Pitcher Attrition by Age
- How the League Adjusts to Hitters Over Time
- Daily Notes, Beginning with a Line by Bill James
. Today's Complete Schedule
Featured Game: Washington at Philadelphia, 19:05 ET
Regarding a Thing Bill James Said
Bill James said -- while promoting his true-crime book last year on Sounds of Young
- What's Fueling Adam Dunn's Resurgence?
- Spotted: Chris Sabo Jersey at Miller Park
Went to the Brewers-Reds game last night at Miller Park. Decent amount of Reds fans there in a modest crowd (27,000-ish).
Often, I make a point of taking noticing the most popular jerseys worn
- Pitcher Aging Curves: Starters and Relievers
- Pitcher Aging Curves: Introduction
- Outs Generated Per Plate Appearance Since 1950
- Tom Milone and the Scourge of a Weak Four-seamer
- Justin Verlander's Ninth Inning Heat
- FanGraphs Audio: Handsome Italian Bill Petti
with host Brian Kenny. In either case, he's handsome Italian gentleman Bill Petti. Topics discussed: the Mets, Petti's academic training in political science, the Mets, Petti's baseball-oriented
- MIA-PHI Match-Up: Pitch Type Linear Weights
- Braves Provide Preview of How to Approach Ike Davis
- Projected Hits Above/Below Average in 2012
- True Outcomes and Players Through Time
- Adrian Gonzalez’s Evolution, Part II
- Adrian Gonzalez's Evolution, Part I
- The Impact on Hitters Who Change Parks
Overall, Comerica is 8% harder on home runs than Miller Park. That means Fielder could see his home run totals dip from 33 HR per 600 PAs to 30 HR per 600 PAs. The other way to look
- Does Consistent Play Help a Team Win?
One of the many insights to come from Bill James was the fact that a team's winning percentage could very easily be estimated based simply on the difference between the runs they scored and the runs
- Bill Petti, Your Next Dark Overlord
I may have only known Bill Petti for a couple of days -- mostly because I thought both he and Justin Bopp were named "Justin Bopp" -- but I can tell you for certain: He is the most handsome male
- Park Factors and ERA Estimators: Part III
- Park Factors and ERA Estimators: Part II
- Park Factors and ERA Estimators: Part I
- FanGraphs Audio: Bill Baer of Crashburn Alley
Bill Baer is the proprietor of Phillies internet weblog Crashburn Alley, a volume tweeter, and -- of late -- author of a real book called 100 Things Phillies Fans Should Know & Do Before
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller of the OC Register
about Sam Miller of the OC Register. In this episode, Sam talks at some length about the effects of the Albert Pujols signing. Also discussed: why not to write a novel, lowered expectations.
- 2B Ranking Using Bill James 2012 Projections
Yesterday, the Bill James's Projections were added to all the player pages here at Fangraphs. Bill James's numbers seem to be on the optimistic side and are probably not regressed as much as other
- 2012 Bill James Handbook Projections
The 2012 Bill James Handbook Projections are now available in the player pages. Big thanks to Baseball Info Solutions for allowing us to publish these for the fourth straight year.
- Eulogizing the Departed: Bill Smith Fired
The first domino has fallen following a cataclysmic 2011 season in Twins Territory, as General Manager Bill Smith was dismissed from the position on Monday. Philosophical differences were cited
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller, OC Register
-- Bandied About!
Sam Miller, OC Register
Finally, you can subscribe to the podcast via iTunes or other feeder things.
Audio on the flip-flop. (Approximately 65 min play time.)
- Jesus Guzman and Andrew Miller: Mining the Minors
be a smart power and eligibility add in deep NL-only play. And of course, to keep his roster spot, he'll need to hit. But that's the one thing Guzman does well.
Andrew Miller, Red Sox SP/RP
- Andrew Miller's MLB Return
For a 26-year-old with an even 300 innings pitched in the majors, Andrew Miller has worn many labels throughout his career. He was a college ace at North Carolina and a top-10 pick by the Tigers
- Andrew Miller and The Art of the Dumpster Dive
Facing one of the worst offenses in baseball last night, Andrew Miller yielded 10 baserunners, became the first pitcher to give up a home run to Orlando Hudson all season, and walked away
- FanGraphs Audio: The Common Man and Bill
In which the platoon is employed.
Pseudonymity -- Pronounced Almost Correctly!
The Twins -- How They're bad!
Physical Insecurities -- Noted!
- Spotted: Pretend Bill James
Moments before Justin Verlander completed his no-hitter on Saturday, Rogers Sportsnet presented home viewers with this image -- i.e. what sabermetric paterfamilias Bill James would currently look
- Video: Bill James on Colbert Report
The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30cBill Jameswww.colbertnation.comColbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive
Father of Us All Bill James has (a) written
- Declassified Utility Bill of the Day
- Andrew Miller's Vesting Option
- I would also accept "sneakiest" - one yet. As first reported by Alex Speier, Boston struck a deal with Andrew Miller that essentially circumvents the waiver process.
Here's the basics - Miller
- Highlights of the Bill James Player Rater, 1995 Edition
Our exercise in plagiarism continues today, as we enjoy together some choice passages from the 1995 edition of the Bill James Player Ratings Book.
The reader will notice that, in what follows
- Sam Miller Is the Boss of Word Clouds
It's without a trace of chagrin that I reproduce in these pages -- despite it having already been produced in everybody else's pages -- Sam Miller's word cloud experiment from his Angels Blog
- Highlights of the Bill James Player Rater, 1994 Edition
Age ain't nothin' but a number... on Rudy Seanez's Dodger uniform.
Last week, I played the part of Bill James' scrivener, rendering into electronic print five haphazardly chosen, but still
- Highlights of the Bill James Player Rater, 1993 Edition
As I've noted already in two posts here at the site, I've recently purchased the Bill James Player Ratings Books for the years 1993 through 1995.
What I perhaps have not made clear yet is how I
- "Does Bill James Even Like to Watch Baseball?"
Sullivan discussing Bill James' projections for some Boston Red Sox players (h/t Repoz). Ryan and Sullivan were aghast that Bill James would project Jon Lester for just 14 wins in 2011, joking
- Visualizing Major League Baseball During the Aughts
along any and all comments so I can improve it.
Author's Note: Bill Petti is a Senior Consultant at Gallup and maintains a blog, Signal/Noise, dedicated to musings on various subjects
- Bill Hall Signs with Houston
Bill Hall parlayed his solid 2010 with the Boston Red Sox into one last chance at a starting MLB gig. On Friday, Bill Hall signed a one-year deal with a mutual option, guaranteeing the 30-year-old
- Old News: Bill James on Sounds of Young America
by listening to an April 2008 interview with Bill James on PRI's The Sounds of Young America (TSOYA).
CLICK HERE FOR AUDIO
TSOYA host Jesse Thorn generally -- although not exclusively -- interviews
- Bill James and the Cock-Lebur
A Tragicomedy in Precisely Two Acts.
Like any serberista worth his fashion spectactles, I spend about 90% of my day within arm's reach of Bill James' collected works. Or, okay, maybe collected
- Will Steinbrenner Beat Out Miller for HOF
of looking at the Veterans Committee vote, and specifically the absence of Marvin Miller from the Hall, the question comes down to either, “How can you not have Miller in the Hall of Fame?”, or “Miller’s
- 2011 Bill James Handbook Projections!
Kicking off projection season, as usual, are the 2011 Bill James Handbook Projections, courtesy of Baseball Info Solutions.
They're available right now in the player pages!
- Is Bill Hall Back?
For a two year span beginning in 2005, Bill Hall was one of baseball’s best kept secrets. At the ages of 25 and 26, Hall combined to hit .280/.344/.525 while averaging 26 home runs and 13 stolen
- Gooble Gobble, Bill Simmons Is Now One of Us
Bill Simmons, ESPN's Sports Guy, may be the most popular sports columnist on the internet, but until recently he was a saber denier, writing about how people like you and me were making baseball less
- Bill Simmons on Sabermetrics
We'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bill Simmons' most recent column in which he "finally joins the revolution" and highlights stats such as UZR, WAR, FIP and BABIP!
The more I played around
- Andrew Miller's Iffy Future
Andrew Miller has two articles linked on his page. One directs to a RotoGraphs piece written by the Talented Mr. Bendix and clicking the other will lead to a detailed look at the tallest rotations
- Bill James Handbook 2010 Projections
Throwing out the opening pitch of the FanGraphs 2010 projection season are the Bill James Handbook projections. Huge thanks goes out to Baseball Info Solutions for allowing us to publish
- 2009 Impact Rookie: Adam Miller
What should we make of Adam Miller?
The right-handed pitching prospect has been frustrating the Cleveland Indians organization and its fans since he was selected out of a Texas high school
- Bill James Projections: Updated
We've updated the Bill James Handbook Projections to the latest and greatest. They're available right now individually in the player pages. If you want them in a sortable form (with some extra
- Bill Bergen
- he was that bad of a hitter. However, Griffin's -286.7 wRAA isn't quite the worst in MLB history.
That belongs to Bill Bergen, who nudged Griffin by -1 wRAA - but needed 4,000 less plate
- Goodbye, Bill
The baseball world lost its oldest former player yesterday, when 100-yr old Bill Werber passed away. Last summer, and practically up until September, Bill and I shared several conversations
- Miller Time in Florida
Andrew Miller may have been the unluckiest pitcher in baseball in 2008.
Miller posted a 5.87 ERA in 107 innings, and eventually earned a ticket back to triple-A. However, Miller’s BABIP was .346
- 2009 Bill James Handbook Projections
The 2009 Bill James Handbook projections are now available on FanGraphs in the individual player pages. Big thanks to Baseball Info Solutions for letting us run these for the 3rd
- 2009 Bill James Handbook Projections
The 2009 Bill James Handbook projections are now available on FanGraphs in the individual player pages. Big thanks to Baseball Info Solutions for letting us run these for the 3rd
- Bill James Projections: Updated
- Bill James Handbook Projections
As of now, the 2008 Bill James Handbook projections are available on the player pages.
On a side note, all the minor league players have been synced with the major league players, so
- Bill James Projections - Updated
I thought I'd mention that the Bill James Handbook projections on FanGraphs have been updated with the latest and greatest.
"... many things happen during the offseason that change playing time
- Bill James Projections
In addition to the Marcel & CHONE projections, the projections from the Bill James Handbook are now available in the stats pages courtesy of Baseball Info Solutions. They will not be available