- Three Mere Paragraphs Concerning Jim Thorpe's Whole Life
It was neither the best, nor entirely worst, of times for Jim Thorpe.
A brief inspection of the internet -- in particular the Baseball Reference part of it -- reveals that today (May 28th
- The Found Poems of Bob Uecker
Today's edition of The Found Poems comes from WTMJ's April 20th broadcast of Colorado at Milwaukee. All words courtesy Mr. Bob Uecker.
Great Brewers shortstop
- Daily Graphing - Bob Howry
The Cubs have signed Bob Howry to a three year, 12 million dollar contract. For the past two years, Bob Howry has been one of the better relievers in the American League by posting back to back
- Bob Hamelin: A Life
Even the aptly named Bob Hamelin, whose dumpy bottoms are forever burned into my memory, participated in the "best shape of his career" gimmick:
A Hamelin is born; a Hamelin dies.
- Bob Melvin, Forgotten Man
the hiring of Ausmus, 44, on Sunday, making him the only Jewish manager in Major League Baseball. Ausmus was a catcher for four teams in his playing days.
And poor Bob Melvin wakes up today, with a cup
- Audio: Bob Uecker Will Crush a Bee
In the following clip (from the WTMJ broadcast of Saturday's Brewers-Twins game), America learns that Bob Uecker loves three things -- and only three things -- as follow:
1. A Beautiful Spring Day
- Bob Gibson is walking toward you...
Robert "Bob" Gibson is walking toward you.
His fastball has been described as "blazing," which doesn't do it justice, but that doesn't much matter now -- Bob Gibson doesn't seem like he
- Bob Feller (1918-2010)
Sad news tonight as Bob Feller has passed away at the age of 92. Others will undoubtedly share fond stories and memories of Feller the human being, but here’s the statistical spin on one of the game
- A Response to Bob Ryan
to be at war with either. But yesterday, Bob Ryan published a piece in the Boston Globe that I think is worth responding to.
In some ways, the piece isn't that different from what hundreds of other sports
- Memewatch: Stuff on Bob Hendley's Head
Bob Hendley is occasionally remembered for going toe to toe with Sandy Koufax, but his major accomplishment, without a doubt, was the magnificent topiary that sat athwart his ample noggin. Today
- Should Bob Costas be the Next Commissioner?
of attention in the "Commish Search 2k14" (as it will surely be named) is one Robert Q. Costas, known to many as NBC Sports Anchor Bob Costas. Bob has had a long love affair with baseball, including
- Video: Bob Elliott's Going to Cooperstown
. And, so, when veteran Toronto Sun baseball scribe Bob Elliott got the call to Cooperstown, winning the 2012 J.G. Taylor Spink Award, Steve invited him into our studio for an interview. Now, Bob
- Bob Uecker Has a Joke About Kauffman Stadium
It's possible that what Bob Uecker has about Kauffman Stadium is not, in fact, a joke, but rather a witticism. If not a witticism, there's the off chance that what he has, instead, is either a sally
- Great Moments in Spectacles: Bob Hamelin
Bob Hamelin. An oldie, but a goodie.
A Great Moment In Spectacles, undoubtedly. And, yes, a most heinous crime against baseball cards, too.
Conservative Canadian props to my colleague
- D-Backs Can Bob Melvin
It took about 30 games for the first manager to get axed. The whispers were all around the last few days that Arizona manager Bob Melvin was off the heat seat onto the plastic chair hanging over
- Bob Uecker Reveals True Truth of Dempster Trade
For the lay fan, the circumstances surrounding the Ryan Dempster trade (or lack thereof) to Atlanta are what might be called "murky at best."
For Bob Uecker, however, everything is illuminated
- Bob Uecker Doesn't Really Care, Turns Out
Concerned and likely muscular reader Bryan, recognizing that the celebration of Bob Uecker is a cause worth dying and (maybe even more importantly) killing for, has alerted the editors of NotGraphs
- Bob Ross: NotGraphs Name Match (#1)
Who is he?
Major player in the PBS golden years and landscape painter extraordinaire? Freunde to all who would have him via the tele-waves? Creator of happy little trees, happy
- Bob Melvin: Six Scouting Reports
“How does he get guys out?” That was my question for Bob Melvin at the Winter Meetings, and I asked it six times. I queried the Oakland skipper about three of his starters: Trevor Cahill, Gio
- Audio: Make Checks Payable to Bob Uecker
Bob Uecker would like to remind the listener about the Milwaukee Braves Historical Association's 15th Annual Testimonial Dinner, to be held on May 6th at the Potawatomi Bingo Casino and honoring
- David Eckstein + Parks and Rec + Bob Loblaw
Let's do this math:
David Eckstein + Parks and Rec + Bob Loblaw = gritty; it always equals gritty
Well that's what happened:
Your browser does not support iframes.
Because Parks and Rec
- Actual Thing: Bob Uecker Day in Wisconsin
is an announcement -- an announcement, dating from April 25h, by State Senator Tim Carpenter (D–Milwaukee) that each January 26th will now officially be Bob Uecker Day in the State of Wisconsin.
- GIF: The Enviable Gentleman's Attire of Mr. Bob Uecker
Stolen without shame from this video of Bob Uecker's 2011 speaking appearance at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, the animated GIF embedded here documents many of Uecker's entrances
- Bold Predictions Review - Not Great, Bob!
- Bob Uecker is a HOF Broadcaster, and Also Your Grandpa
, it pains me to bring up the fact that no matter what you're good at, you will not be as good at that thing as Bob Uecker is at calling baseball games. Sorry.
The story isn't the best one he's ever
- Ten Things I Know About Bob Anderson
1) He's serious.
2) He was involved in one of the craziest plays in the history of baseball.
3) The scoring of said play was: Walk; Musial out at 2B/3B-SS.
4) Bob Anderson had a 99 FIP
- Bob Uecker's Totally Real Genealogy of Homer Bailey
, as related by Brewers radio voice Bob Uecker:
- Bob Uecker Has the Opposite of Body Dysmorphia
The Brewers are placing a statue of maybe-literally-immortal Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker outside of Miller Park this summer -- nor, if the following tweet from Tom Haudricourt of the Journal
- Bob Uecker on Sunscreen and Where It Shouldn't Go
Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker thinks that both Usinger's Famous Sausage and sunscreen are important things in this life. With regard to them meeting, however, his opinion is that, more or less
- Bob Uecker's Totally True History of Western Metal
The sequence led Bob Uecker, the famous and wise radio voice of the Milwaukee Brewers, to provide -- for the benefit of both the home audience and broadcast partner Joe Block -- a totally true
- Extry, Extry: Bob Uecker Interview to Run Friday
Either a little bird or the official site of Major League Baseball -- I'm not telling which -- has informed this author that Bob Uecker is the feature guest on MLB Network's "Studio 42 with Bob
- A Brief and Fictional Account of Meeting Bob Uecker
-- except it wasn't my wife in the next room, but radio voice of baseball's Milwaukee Brewers, Bob Uecker, instead.
"This is clearly absurd," I said. "You're supposed to be in Milwaukee, not in my
- Bob Brenly: You Were a Good Hitter
"Without a mustache, a man must make a name for himself with a bat."
Since time forever, Chicago Cubs broadcaster Bob Brenly has joked good-humor'dly about how terrible a hitter he
- Audio: Bob Uecker and Dick Allen Together on Air
, then the leading candidates for that role would be Dick Allen and Bob Uecker, the former because he's a leisured gentleman; the latter, because he's an equally leisured gentleman.
- Bob Uecker Has Some Ideas About Jockey Shorts
In what follows, radio voice of the Milwaukee Brewers Bob Uecker discusses jockey shorts and, before that, a scheme he's developed for relieving contest entrants of their winnings.
From the WTMJ
- Q&A: Pete LaCock vs Bob Gibson [and Japan]
LaCock on battling Bob Gibson:
“Billy Williams had broken his ankle, so the team was looking for a left-handed hitter. I had been hitting the ball pretty well, so they brought me up
- Q&A: Bob Melvin, on Five Rookie Pitchers
Bob Melvin was named American League Manager of the Year after leading the overachieving Oakland A’s to a playoff berth. It was an honor well-deserved. The 51-year-old former big-league catcher knows
- Q&A: Bob McClure on Banny, Simba & Deception
Bob McClure won’t be returning as Kansas City’s pitching coach next year, but that's not for a lack of experience. The 59-year-old former southpaw reliever has plenty of that, having taken the mound
- Insta-Meme: Bob Ryan Has a Posse
- Audio: Bob Uecker Would Like One or Six Beers
That the evening might be a difficult one was not lost on veteran broadcaster and muscular bodyguard of leisure Bob Uecker, who informed the Listening Public how much beer would be a sufficient amount
- Dr. Bob Kelso Talks About Baseball from the Future
Scrubs's Dr. Bob Kelso) remained a baseball fan despite the sport's status as a relic. In explaining to young Ensign Wesley Crusher (Wil Wheaton) how broken, how downtrodden Stubbs would be should he
- Satchel Paige responds to Bob Nightengale and Stan Musial's grandson from beyond the grave (sort of)
to be the grandson of Stan Musial.”
-Bob Nightengale, earlier today, USA Today
Hi, I’m Satchel Paige (Ed. note: No, you aren’t. Shut up, Bates.). You might remember me from such "Mickey Mouse" antics