- MLB Free Agency Dollars to Date
- Not finalized
Bobby Jenks - Not finalized
Tsuyoshi Nishioka - Not confirmed
Miguel Olivo - Working
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter @BizballMaury
- Dick Enberg Honored With the Ford C. Frick Award
to be baseball. It could be anything. So he gave us the cue, and I said, ‘And here’s a line drive going into center field!…’ Vitale is going, ‘And The General, Bobby Knight!…’ And then he said cut
- A Primer on the Baseball Winter Meetings
, and Bobby Cox all within 20 feet of each other (this scene actually occurred by the elevators in the lobby of the Bellagio in Las Vegas two years ago)? There's also trainers, scouts, media, reps from
- David Brown FanGraphs Chat - 1/9/15
11:57Comment From mtswWho are you? Kiley too big to do these now that he's the type of guy who gets named dropped in MLBtraderumors headlines? 11:58Dave Brown: My name is Dave Brown. You might know
- MLB Franchise Four: NL Central
(9)Gabby Hartnett, 52.7 WAR (1922-1940)
(10) Frank Chance, 48.1 WAR
(16) Mordecai Brown, 41.0 WAR (1904-1912, 1916)
On the ballot: Half of the players on the Cubs’ ballot were
- Breaking Down 2014 WAR (Part 1)
Best left fielder 30 and older: Alex Gordon, 30 (6.6 WAR)
Dishonorable Mention: Domonic Brown, 26 (-1.6 WAR)
Best center fielder 29 and under: Mike Trout, 22 (7.5 WAR)
- Domonic Brown and Exploring the Reality of Breakouts
It was my initial intent to write something about Tuesday's trade rumor that involved Domonic Brown and Jose Bautista. The rumor, presented straight-up, was absolutely fascinating for the implied
- Hey, Bobby!
Bobby Abreu has had an incredibly consistent career, at least from an offensive standpoint. From 1998-2007, his OBP never fell below the .393 mark. He has knocked in 98 or more runners each year
- Show Me the $! End-of-Year Payrolls
compensation, buyouts of unexercised options and cash transactions. In some cases, parts of salaries that are deferred are discounted to reflect present-day values.
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter
- Inside Salary Arbitration
flipped). That has now been corrected. -- Maury Brown
Before Curt Flood’s landmark case, and before Messersmith and McNally held out in a contract year, thus allowing for the reserve clause
- How MLB Became the Example of Peacemakers
on NFL Parade? (Variety)
FOLLOW MAURY BROWN ON TWITTER @BizballMaury
- Sizing Up Mark Cuban; Potential Owner Of The Rangers
We're happy to announce that Maury Brown, owner of the Business of Sports Network, will be writing for us here every Tuesday. Please welcome Maury to the crew.
Well, this is a fine mess you
- Q&A: Scooter Gennett on Ceramics, Lefties and Riding Scooters
meetings. In addition to the charity work, he also discussed how he's preparing for the upcoming season, and further explained how Ryan Joseph Gennett became — sometimes — "Scooter."
- What's In Store for the Texas Rangers Auction
- Rob Manfred on Minor League Drug Testing Program
- Why Relocation and Expansion are a Pain for MLB
- Will Leaked MLB Financials Alter Revenue-Sharing?
- I Really Had a Blackout
- The Death of Baseball in Portland
- Playing the God of Baseball
- Could MLB's Postseason TV Ratings Be Down?
- Breaking Down 2010 MLB Regular Season Attendance
- Rays Lose ALDS, San Antonio Dreams the Pipedream
- At Game 1 of the World Series: Prelude - Different Is Good
- At Game 1 of the World Series: Overflow Media
- Will Steinbrenner Beat Out Miller for HOF
- Making Postseason $ When Missing The Playoffs
- Salary Arbitration Mumbo Jumbo
- The Upcoming CBA: An International Draft
- Josh Willingham: Honoring the Hammer
- Michael Ynoa Gets New Life With White Sox
- Using Batted-Ball Data to Measure Hitter Performance
- Domonic Brown and Getting There
Sunday afternoon, Domonic Brown did something he's been doing a lot of lately. Brown faced Mike Fiers in the bottom of the first, with two on and two out. After a first-pitch curveball found the zone
- Maddux, Clemens, Pedro... Brown?
and Schilling on this list. No, instead, I am focusing on the starting pitcher that concludes this list: Kevin Brown.
Whenever most people see this list of nine starting pitchers, Brown tends
- Domonic Brown Goes Mashing
The rumor on the street is that Domonic Brown had a breakout season in 2013. But can we trust that to be a sign of things to come?
Brown was once (briefly) the top prospect in all of baseball
- Phillies summon Domonic Brown
prospect in baseball: outfielder Domonic Brown. Most of us expected Brown to get the call once the team traded Jayson Werth, but Victorino's injury makes such a deal unlikely. Werth will instead shift
- The Dramatic Decline of Domonic Brown
Coming into the 2011 season, Domonic Brown ranked as the fourth-best prospect in all of baseball according to Baseball America. The Philadelphia Phillies had just watched right fielder Jayson Werth
- MLB Franchise Four: AL East
) Roger Clemens, 76.5 WAR
(4) Wade Boggs, 70.8 WAR
(5) Dwight Evans, 64.3 WAR (1972-1990)
(6) Cy Young, 54.8 WAR (1901-1908)
(7) Tris Speaker, 54.4 WAR
(8) Bobby Doerr, 53.3 WAR
- Bartolo Colon: The Run-Scoring Machine
’s older and wiser now, though, and chose to remain on third base, comfortable and cozy. When Bobby Abreu singled to right, Colon had no choice but to run home, as there were runners on all the bases
- MLB Franchise Four: AL West
(4) Brian Downing, 36.5 WAR (1978-1990)
(5) Bobby Grich, 35.6 WAR
(6) Tim Salmon, 35.5 WAR (1992-2004, 2006)
(7) Mike Witt, 33.4 WAR
(8) Frank Tanana, 33.2 WAR
(9) Jered Weaver, 32.5
- Big Papi vs. Father Time
(.178/.230/.187, 23 wRC+). There were three 40-year-old positions players in MLB—Bobby Abreu (.248/.342/.338, 100 wRC+), Ichiro! (.284/.324/.340, 86 wRC+), and Derek Jeter (.256/.304/.313, 73 wRC
- Crowdsourcing Bullpen Roles
New York Mets
Closer: Jenrry Mejia (6), Jenrry Mejia/Bobby Parnell (2)
Setup #1: Jeurys Familia (6), Bobby Parnell (2)
Setup #2: Jeurys Familia (2), Vic Black (2), Carlos Torres (2), Josh
- MLB Franchise Four: AL Central
to vote for one or both of them, but they don’t really compare with the players above them on the Tigers’ ballot just yet.
Notable snub: Like Bobby Grich, Lou Whitaker is criminally underrated. He
- MLB Franchise Four: NL East
(7) Sherry Magee, 51.5 WAR
(8) Pete Alexander, 50.8 WAR
(9) Jimmy Rollins, 49.1 WAR (2000-2014)
(10) Bobby Abreu, 47.2 WAR
(17) Chuck Klein, 34.0 WAR (1928-1933, 1936-1944)
- Dom Brown Up or Down?
On a team accused of aging quickly -- though the space-time continuum has something to say about that -- Domonic Brown is the youngest, most exciting offensive piece. But now he's spent two seasons
- Bobby Valentine's Favorite Meal
I almost feel bad for Bobby Valentine. Today's piece in the Boston Herald (the latest in a string of articles itemizing everything terrible or could-be-interpreted-as-terrible-if-you-squint
- Fun With ERA Estimators
- Adjusting to the New Reality
- A Quick and Easy Way to Rank Starting Pitchers for Fantasy Baseball
- Analyzing the FanGraphs’ Mock Draft from an Outsider’s Point of View -- 1B
- Analyzing the FanGraphs’ Mock Draft from an Outsider’s Point of View -- 2B
- Analyzing the FanGraphs’ Mock Draft from an Outsider’s Point of View -- 3B
- Analyzing the FanGraphs’ Mock Draft from an Outsider’s Point of View -- SS
- Analyzing the FanGraphs’ Mock Draft from an Outsider’s Point of View -- C
- Analyzing the FanGraphs’ Mock Draft from an Outsider’s Point of View – OF (part 1)
- Analyzing the FanGraphs’ Mock Draft from an Outsider’s Point of View – OF (part 2)
- Analyzing the FanGraphs’ Mock Draft from an Outsider’s Point of View – OF (part 3)
- The Johnny Cueto Experience
- Analyzing the FanGraphs Early Mock Draft from an Outsider’s Point of View – SPs 1-20
- Analyzing the FanGraphs Early Mock Draft from an Outsider’s Point of View – SPs 21-40
- Analyzing the FanGraphs Early Mock Draft from an Outsider’s Point of View – SPs 41-60
- Vegas vs. Steamer
- Analyzing the FanGraphs Early Mock Draft from an Outsider’s Point of View – RPs 1-30
- Beware the Shark!
- John Mayberry Jr.: King of the Pinch Hitters in 2014
- 2014 WAR Breakdown by Age (WAR, Part 2)
- 2014 WAR Breakdown by Age and Position (WAR, Part 3)
- Changes in WAR from 2000 to 2014 (Part 4)
- Competitive Bidding for the All-Star Game?
- When Should You Draft Troy Tulowitzki?
- K-BB vs. the RotoGraphs Top Starting Pitcher Rankings
- Drafting an Injured Hunter Pence
- The Fans Versus the Depth Charts
- The Fans Projections: Pitchers
- Here's to the Grinders--Week 1
- MLB Franchise Four: NL West
- Checking in on Starting Pitchers
- Effect of Stats So Far on Depth Charts RoS Projections
- Effects of Stats So Far on Depth Charts RoS Projections -- Pitchers
- A Nightmare Scenario for Pedro Alvarez: Playing for Cleveland
- The Importance of Hard-Hit Percentage
- Mike Moustakas Is Reverting Back to Mike Moustakasness
- Ode to Willie Bloomquist
- Final Month Fantasy Fun With Excel
- Revisiting Vegas
- Hard-Hit Percentage Outliers
- Silly Money and What Our Society Values
- The BBWAA's Hall of Fame, Graphically Speaking
- Andruw Jones and Ken Griffey Jr.
- Easy-Peasy Ranking System for Starting Pitchers: Follow-Up
- Hot Starts and Cool Finishes
- A Finish Line for Bobby Cox
as manager of the Braves, people have been wondering how much longer Bobby Cox would be around inside the Atlanta clubhouse.
Today, we got official word from the man himself. Cox will return next season
- Bobby Jenks: Finesse Pitcher?
As a member of the Angels organization, right-hander Bobby Jenks was something of a mythological figure. The gargantuan 6-3, 280 pounder, selected in the 5th round of the 2000 amateur draft, often
- Bobby Valentine's Misery
The thing about Bobby Valentine: he has never finished first.
"I gave my heart, I gave my soul, and I gave every waking hour I had to the Texas Rangers organization and family... If anybody wants
- Bobby Cox and Band-Aids
Bennett is smarter and more poignant, I switched my style up and will instead focus on the Braves’ reliance on medical tape.
The two feelings Bobby Cox is most familiar with are those of a crimson
- Educate Me on Bobby Abreu
Bobby Abreu has a .339 wOBA. That figure represents the lowest of Abreu’s career in seasons that he recorded at least 500 plate appearances. The .173 ISO is right in line with his New York seasons
- Home Cooking and Bobby Abreu
Bobby Abreu has long been a fantasy favorite due to his ability to provide help in all five categories. Who can’t use 22 SB from a guy posting a .296-20-100-100 line, like Abreu did last year
- Bobby Jenks And The Boston Bullpen
effective bullpens in part by picking up righty killer Dan Wheeler and former White Sox closer Bobby Jenks as free agents. In winter that has seen three-year contracts handed out to relievers like
- Bobby Parnell: Transitioning To Closer
to Bobby Parnell as closer begins now. Even before the K-Rod trade it was clear that Parnell was the team's best in-house option for a long-term closer, but Izzy was allowed to get the six saves he needed
- The Story of Bobby Jenks
Bobby Jenks is out for the rest of the year and the rumors have begun to fly. See ESPN, the Examiner, RotoWorld, MLBTradeRumors, and even Bob Nightengale chime in with their belief Jenks will get
- The Fantasy Slant on Bobby Abreu
Just last week, R.J. Anderson took a look at Bobby Abreu from a real-life standpoint. He asked for a reason why the Angels outfielder had a low BABIP to right field this year, suggesting perhaps
- Should Kevin Brown Be in the Hall of Fame?
Is there a more overlooked candidate on the current Hall-of-Fame ballot than Kevin Brown?
Poke around, and you'll find the usual shopworn debates and entrenched positions, but Brown, it would seem
- Chris Brown: Blue Jays Fan
"Teach me how to Dougie Chris Brown." Watch the video. Tell me what you see.
I, of course, obliged.
In the video that's been
- ALCS Preview: Is Bobby Abreu Fast?
teams: Bobby Abreu.
In particular, I'd like to try and answer a question that has been bothering me a little since these playoffs began.
The question: Is Bobby Abreu fast?
The answer: It's hard
- Spotted: A Colombian Person Named Steve Brown
First, Colombia was inhabited by indigenous peoples like the Muisca, Quimbaya, and Tairona. Then, in the 16th century, it was conquered by the Spanish. Then, in 1986, Steve Brown was born
- Bobby Abreu: Mr. Clutch 2011
Yes, you read the title correctly. Bobby Abreu of the Los Angeles Angeles was Mr. Clutch during the 2011 season. He ended the season with the highest clutch rating in the majors, as measured here
- Bobby Valentine and the Red Sox Model
, it should be expected to bear fruit, and incur relatively few losses, over the long term.
Does the hiring of Bobby Valentine -- especially if it was a Lucchino-driven decision -- represent
- Domonic Brown Has Made Some Changes
It's been five years since Domonic Brown cracked the public consciousness as a five-tooler in the Phillies system. Five up and down years. Three of those years, he failed to impress in short samples
- Domonic Brown Good News/Bad News
. It was promising, and, sure enough, Saunders had a breakthrough season. Spring training isn't entirely devoid of substance.
Which brings us to the matter of Domonic Brown, on Tuesday, February 26
- What Can Domonic Brown Do For You?
It appears, once again, that Domonic Brown's name is out there cooking up in the hot stove. Dave and Jeff each touched on Brown when his name last came up in rumors last month when a Brown for Jose
- Great Moments in Bobby Valentine History
- Brown's Bad Break Limits Phillies' Flexibility
The Philadelphia Phillies offensive depth was already going to be thin this season. That was before Domonic Brown broke the hamate bone on his right wrist Saturday afternoon. And while there’s
- It’s a Good Time to Grab Dom Brown
If there is one guy I have been following relatively closely throughout this year in case I wanted to pick up a bat, it has been Domonic Brown. In his first year as a starter and his hype at an all
- Senseless 19th Century Baseball Deaths: Lew Brown
Lew Brown played for Providence, at least two Boston clubs, and assorted other teams during a seven-year career. He retired, it would seem, following his age-26 season. In January of 1889, just
- Video: Bobby Valentine in a Japanese Music Video
As you can see, courtesy of WEEI.com's Full Count blog, not only does Bobby Valentine "get down," but Bobby Valentine "gets down" while wearing the pinkest pink shirt that's ever existed. (Do
- The Daily Grind: Niese, Gibson, Nicolino, Brown
Daily DFS - Chen, Niese
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - Gibson, Nicolino, Brown, Odubel
1. Daily DFS - Chen, Niese
There are only seven games tonight
- Dom Brown: Less Shiny, Still Exciting
Domonic Brown is back in the bigs. He was once projected by Bill James to go 30/30, so obviously he has the tools to stick in the major leagues. But just as obvious is the fact that he's not the same
- For Reference: Mordecai Brown vs. Django Reinhardt
as the Horrible. Indeed, perhaps in many cases, this is the result. In the dual cases of great right-hander Mordecai Brown and great jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt, however, such an injury actually
- Field of Streams: Episode 137 - The Immortal Trevor Brown
Episode 137 - The Immortal Trevor Brown
The latest episode of “Field of Streams” is live!
In this episode, Dylan Higgins and Matthew Dewoskin discuss a weird recording schedule, the Patriot's
- Waiver Wire and the DL: Brown, Blake, Garland and Pineiro
Domonic Brown (2.7% owned) – Wrist – Dominic's return to the Phillies looks to be in late April right now. He entered the season with high expectations, but his wrist injury set him back
- Photo: Bobby Cox's Face Tattooed on Someone's Thigh
to tattoo Bobby Cox's face on his thigh, now and forever more, is certifiably insane, I can't. Because the team I root for has never won 14 straight division titles under one manager. I'm going to go ahead
- Bobby Crosby May Find a Home Soon
Five seasons ago, Bobby Crosby was fresh off winning the American League Rookie of the Year award and Ronny Cedeno was a quick riser through the Cubs organization. Both looked like promising long
- Bobby Parnell & Franklin Gutierrez: Deep League WW
, picking up the hot players and dropping the cold ones just to watch the trend reverse shortly thereafter, I will continue checking out that list.
Bobby Parnell, NYM RP | 3% Owned
It is never too
- Brandon Belt & Bobby Parnell: Waiver Wire
for the foreseeable future. Enjoy it.
Bobby Parnell | RP | Mets | Owned: 16% Yahoo! and 14.3% ESPN
The Mets have, by far, the worst bullpen ERA in baseball at 5.27. Outside of lefty specialist Tim
- Bobby Parnell: More Than Captain Fastball
Bobby Parnell hasn't been pitching long. As he puts it, he "played a position" when he was little, and hit the mound for the first time in college. Because he threw hard, he kept climbing that mound
- Giants' GM Bobby Evans on the Value of Flexibility
Earlier this offseason, the Giants decided to let two veterans go who've been valued parts of the team. Both Nori Aoki and Yusmeiro Petit were on reasonable contracts, too. But, as general Bobby
- The End of Bobby Abreu or Just a Time Out?
For the first time in 14 seasons, Bobby Abreu failed to record double-digit totals in both home runs and stolen bases. He picked up 21 steals this season, but his power fell off considerably as he
- Back in Valentine's Day: Bobby's Take On Pitch Counts
For fans wondering how new Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine will run the team, his recent comments on pitch counts and pitcher health could make fans of the Red Sox and/or logic cringe and make Red
- Prospect Impact: Kolten Wong, Gary Brown, Hak-Ju Lee
ACTION: Giants sign OF Angel Pagan
PROSPECT IMPACT: OF Gary Brown, Giants
The speedy Brown burst onto the scene with a ridiculous 2011 in which he hit .336 with 53 steals, while also racking up 61
- Domonic Brown, Mike Minor, Rubby De La Rosa: Mining the Minors
(or return, if already sent down) during this season.
Players listed in order of 2011 fantasy impact.
MIXED LEAGUE RELEVANT
Domonic Brown, Phillies OF
- What to Expect from Bobby V. When It's Game Time
Bobby Valentine is officially the manager of the Boston Red Sox. He has been known to have an extreme love-hate relationship with his players and his bosses. While the best Bobby V. stories
- BREAKING: Bobby Parnell has a partially torn elbow in his elbow
NEW YORK -- X-rays have confirmed what was previously suspected: Mets closer Bobby Parnell has a partially torn elbow in his elbow. Doctors are unsure how it got there, or whether it was torn