- The Daily Grind: 9-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
to pitch at Coors Field. Too bad.
Late: J.A. Happ has the not so easy task of quieting the Orioles lineup. The lefty will have to navigate potent sluggers like Adam Jones and Nelson Cruz, both
- The Daily Grind: 9-1-14 - Presented by FanDuel
of the 12 games are early. There are a LOT of really good pitchers lined up for today. Stacks are few and far between.
Jimmy Nelson versus Jacob Turner is NOT a recipe for runs. Well it could
- Brad Johnson Baseball Chat -- 4/3/14
explain 12:02Brad Johnson: Eno is on a plane to Jamaica12:02Comment From LenardLost Ramos and was offered Posey, Desmond, and Donaldson in return for Wright, Trumbo, and Gyorko. I can slide Brad Miller
- The Daily Grind: 8-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
suspect they'll jump on Kendrick early before he settles in.
The Pirates will see Brad Hand. He was somebody I was mildly excited about headed into the season, but his peripherals have been terrible. I
- Brad Johnson's 10 Bold Predictions
- The Daily Grind: 5-24-14 - Presented by FanDuel
his 5.40 ERA, but the Tigers are not your garden variety offense.
Hey, I found both Randy Wolf and Jimmy Nelson. And I'm not really sure where to put them. Nelson is mildly interesting as a guy you
- The Daily Grind: 7-21-14 - Presented by FanDuel
this time around, which makes for a sneaky waiver wire start.
Jimmy Nelson's first couple starts flashed both promise and signs for concern. Strikeouts should be a strength for Nelson, but he may
- The Daily Grind: 7-26-14 - Presented by FanDuel
they normally would. However, he's throwing a ton of changeups this season, and there's no reason he should lose the speed differential on the pitch.
3. Sunday Picks
Pitchers to Start: Jimmy Nelson
- The Daily Grind: 7-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. Sometimes you're forced to take those risks.
Go run to the wire for Jimmy Nelson. His minor league numbers suggest he could be worth rostering on a regular basis. A start against Adam Wainwright
- 21 Players Whose Fielding Could Affect Their Fantasy Value
, so there's that.
6. Michael Cuddyer, OF
Cuddy is really terrible in the outfield. That hasn't stopped the Rockies in the past (ahem, Brad Hawpe), but they do have four center fielders
- The Players' Association May Target Qualifying Offers
With Nelson Cruz signing a one-year, $8 million contract with the Baltimore Orioles, qualifying offers are back in the spotlight. The executive director of the player's association, Tony Clark, has
- The Daily Grind: 8-20-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. Of those, the Nick Martinez versus Nate Eovaldi game in Miami has the worst pitchers. The ballpark and the Rangers inept offense make stacks a little difficult.
R.A. Dickey and Jimmy Nelson can both
- The Daily Grind: 8-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Jorge de la Rosa.
Seth Smith is viable against Jimmy Nelson.
Dustin Ackley will probably bat second with Kendrys Morales hitting cleanup.
Derek Norris, Jonny Gomes, Nate Freiman, and Sam
- Finding the Ideal Leadoff Hitter
Baltimore Orioles (42-39)
LOR Leader: Nick Markakis, .246
Markakis is batting .298/.358/.410. Those are pretty prototypical leadoff numbers. J.J. Hardy (.243) ranks second. Nelson Cruz
- Jimmy Nelson's Rising Stock
Does Jimmy Nelson have the best pure stuff in the Brewers organization? The answer is yes, or at least that's what a source who has closely followed the right-handed pitcher's career told me
- Mighty Joe Nelson
On Friday, the Florida Marlins non-tendered right-handed reliever Joe Nelson, officially allowing him to hit the open market. While the market for relief pitchers has not been as lucrative
- Warning! Beware of Nelson Cruz
Lately I've been hearing some rumors connecting the Tigers to free agent outfielder Nelson Cruz. I understand how fans have been hungry for another power bat since Prince Fielder was traded
- Nelson Cruz and HR/LD%
Last Friday night, Nelson Cruz faced off against Felix Hernandez, and in the second inning this happened to a baseball:
Your browser does not support iframes.
Perhaps you might prefer
- Nelson Figueroa Is Still Good
We know Ed Wade loves his former Phillies. The Astros rotation currently contains three former Phillies pitchers (J.A. Happ, Brett Myers, and Nelson Figueroa), with Figueroa being the latest to get
- Nelson Cruz's Contact
Nelson Cruz has the fifth lowest contact rate of any hitter in baseball this year, with his 67.9% rate sandwiching him right between Howard and Cust. However, his K% isn't anywhere near
- Nelson's Sweet Swing
At 28 years old, Nelson Cruz is not much of a prospect anymore relative to the traditional usage of the term, but he is definitely going to great lengths to rid the Quad-A reputation he has developed
- Get to Know Brad Boxberger
Get to know new Tampa Bay Ray Brad Boxberger.
He likes running water.
No running water in hotel... Great job @HolidayInn— Brad Boxberger (@Brad_Boxberger) August 6, 2013
- A Frightening List of Nelson Cruz Comparisons
I don't mean to pick on Nelson Cruz. I know I already named him as the biggest land mine of the 2014 free agent class, and I'm not trying to pile on. But down here in Orlando, it is widely expected
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Nelson Cruz
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: Nelson Cruz.
- Nelson Cruz Replacements: Waiver Wire
There are three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Nelson Cruz hamstring injuries. The Texas slugger missed 54 games in 2010 and was on the DL three separate times thanks to his hamstrings. He
- Daily Graphing - Brad Wilkerson
ESPN is reporting that Nationals players Brad Wilkerson, Terrmel Sledge, and a player to be named will be headed to the Rangers in exchange for Alfonso Soriano. After Brad Wilkerson hit a career
- Daily Graphing - Brad Lidge
There's been a lot of talk recently about the reason for Brad Lidge's NLCS game 5 blown save. One of the most common answers to that one blown save has been, "he's overworked". Let's see
- Brad Miller Is Worth Claiming
Unable to stomach Brendan Ryan and his .230 wOBA as the team's primary shortstop any longer, the Seattle Mariners have reportedly called up 23-year-old Brad Miller in an attempt to breathe some life
- Steven Spielberg's [Brad] Lincoln
Brad Lincoln is hunched in the waiting room of a doctor's office, world-weary and rain-soaked. Outside, rain falls steadily. Lincoln is approached by two children who, to his surprise, know who
- Brad Ziegler's Excellent Adventure
Oakland A's submariner Brad Ziegler took a rather circuitous route to major league success. Originally a 20th round selection by Philadelphia Phillies in the 2003 amateur entry draft, Ziegler
- Brad Bergesen: Servicable or Bust?
Brad Bergesen's player profile here at FanGraphs has been playing mind games with me for a few days. Simply put, it's tough to get a good handle on what to expect from this guy. I really do enjoy
- Meet Brad Ziegler
that simply can't be hit in the air (Brandon Webb, Chien-Ming Wang).
And then there's Brad Ziegler. He's a side-arm reliever for the A's, and his fastball tops out at about 86 MPH. It's basically
- The Underrated Brad Bergesen
Yards, Brad Bergesen and his 89 MPH fastball has snuck into the team photo and is threatening to stick around. I'm going to go so far as to say he's the best pitcher that most people have never heard
- Tightening Brad Miller's Leash
Brad Miller is no longer taking walks or getting hits. That’s obviously a problem, because it means he’s killing your team in average, failing to drive in runs and not getting on base to score runs
- Daily Graphing - Brad Penny
Brad Penny and Hee Seop Choi for Guillermo Mota, Paul LoDuca, and Juan Encarnacion. That trade made two years ago was most likely Paul DePodesta's defining transaction as GM of the Dodgers. Nobody
- Brad Lidge's Issues
Of all of the pitchers struggling on the Phillies, Brad Lidge is the most surprising. A glance at the relievers’ WAR board has Lidge firmly at the bottom of the totem pole; something unimaginable
- Replacing Brad Lidge
is closer Brad Lidge, who will miss 3-6 weeks before he can begin throwing again. When healthy, Lidge has proven to be one of the most dominant relievers in the game. To replace that dominance
- Brad Hawpe Resurrects in Texas
The likelihood of the Texas Rangers signing Prince Fielder grew even slimmer on Friday when the team opted to take a cheaper route and sign Brad Hawpe to a minor league league deal. Hawpe, who
- Jimmy Nelson And The Art Of Being Almost Ready
This past Sunday, I headed to downtown Oklahoma City to see the Redhawks, Houston's Triple-A affiliate, take on the Nashville Sounds. The starting pitcher for the Sounds was Jimmy Nelson, the top
- FanGraphs Audio: Rob Nelson of Big League Chew
A Day in the Life of an Idea Man
Rob Nelson, Inventor of Big League Chew
Finally, you can subscribe to the podcast via iTunes or other feeder things.
Audio on the flip-flop
- Brad Lidge's Memorable Moment
If we were to sit down and create a list of the five most memorable baseball moments of the 21st century, the home run Albert Pujols hit off Brad Lidge in Game Three Five of the 2005 NLCS would
- Nelson Cruz Defies Real World Value
While Nelson Cruz might be one of the least favorite of available free agents among nerd faces, it's hard to ignore what he does rather consistently for your fantasy squad -- and that's hit home runs
- Nelson Cruz Could Have Been on Your Team
Nelson Cruz compiled yet another solid campaign for a corner outfielder, hitting .263/.312/.509 with 29 home runs in 124 games. The 31-year-old Dominican has always been known for his behemoth-like
- Texas Is Boring, or Why Nelson Cruz Is Underhyped
is Hamilton's fellow-outfielder-and-Ranger, the titular Nelson Cruz. On a per-PA basis, one could argue that Cruz has actually been better than Hamilton (2010's American League Most Valuable Player) over the last
- Where Could Nelson Cruz Even Fit?
A few things to know about Nelson Cruz:
Cruz is 33 years old
He's coming off a PED suspension
The last three years, he's been worth the same WAR as Sean Rodriguez and John Buck
He's a free
- Animated GIF File: Nelson Figueroa Is Neither Menacing, Violent
The reader might have suspected for a moment -- for a rather a long moment, in fact, full of terror on all sides -- that Reno Aces right-hander Nelson Figueroa was intent on throwing a baseball
- Has Nelson Cruz Broken His Quad-A Ceiling?
possess the skills to thrive at the highest level of competition.
Coming into the 2008 season, Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz appeared to fit the label to a T. The 6-3, 230 pounder (who also toiled
- Quick Looks at Gausman, Carrasco, Nelson, Doubront, Turner
and then they can look lost when the two breakers are thrown. I need to go look at one of his earlier season games one day to see what chnaged. As for now, the results seem real.
- A Nelson Cruz and Jhonny Peralta Suspension FAQ
an FAQ, because this early no Qs have been FA'd, so consider this FAQ more anticipatory. Let's focus on the suspended Nelson Cruz, and the suspended Jhonny Peralta.
So Nelson Cruz and Jhonny
- GIFs: Brad Peacock Has a Curveball
Washington National righty Brad Peacock made his first major-league start Wednesday night -- an appearance that was much anticipated by the present author, if by few others. The 23-year-old
- Important Life Questions And Brad Miller
. I've been dealing with a lot of this philosophical life stuff recently, and it's been difficult.
I'm talking, of course, about Brad Miller, and it seems I'm not alone, as the baseball community
- Brad Hawpe: Back From The Dead
I'm not sure about you, but there always seems to be that one player that ends up on my team(s) year after year. Right now that guy is Ryan Raburn, but over the least few years it was Brad Hawpe
- The 2011 Brad Emaus All-Stars
is no different, and with an idea sparked from Eric Seidman’s piece yesterday on Brad Emaus -- an article that the Mets completely ignored when they waived him today -- I present the 2011 Brad Emaus
- A Chat With "Moneyball" Star Brad Pitt
This past weekend, I had the great honor of sitting down with two-time Academy Award nominated actor and star of the upcoming film "Moneyball," Brad Pitt. In the film, Pitt plays Oakland Athletics
- Brad Boxberger Has Arrived, In Reverse
Brad Boxberger, of course. He's 26. He's in his third major league season and his third major league organization. He was once a first-round pick -- if you can really say "No. 43 overall is a first
- Brad Lidge, Velocity and Trevor Hoffman
Brad Lidge didn't top 90 on the radar gun Monday.
Sure, yesterday was a big first step for the 34-year-old reliever. The first appearance of the year -- especially when it happens this late
- Breaking down Brad Miller for 2014
Believe it or not, when I solicited future shortstop topics last week, the name that came up the most was Brad Miller of the Seattle Mariners.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Miller just fine, and I
- Scott Sizemore and Chris Nelson: Deep League Waiver Wire
rate are just too much to pass up. Add him to your bench and see what happens if your in a league that counts walks or OBP.
Chris Nelson | 1% | 1%
We have less than 100 MLB plate appearances
- Brad Peacock: New Plumage in Houston
of the Bay Area is Brad Peacock, former Nationals blue-chipper who was moved to Oakland last offseason in the Gio Gonzalez deal. Many may remember there was a fair amount of sleeper buzz last spring
- Totally Unaltered Tweet: Brad Hand, Practicing Dramaturgist
The following tweet -- concerning primarily Miami left-hander Brad Hand's involvement in the theater arts -- is entirely and in-no-way altered from the original (click to embiggen):
- Brad Grant on Scouting Francisco Lindor
When the Indians took Francisco Lindor with the 8th-overall pick in last year’s draft, they brought into the fold -- in the opinion of scouting director Brad Grant -- “a potential Gold Glove
- The Daily Grind: 7-8-14 - Presented by FanDuel
A Fellow Brad
FanDuel has unleashed the World Fantasy Baseball Championship; a week-long, $5,000,000 celebration of Fantasy Baseball in Las
- FanGraphs Audio: Inside the Clubhouse w/ Brad Lidge
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks with Washington Nationals reliever Brad Lidge about playing with a pair of phenoms, great sliders of yore, and the prospect
- The Daily Grind: 7-1-14 - Presented by FanDuel
of the top stacking targets tonight. The Nationals have a few potent right-handed bats to deploy against the mediocre lefty.
If the Nationals aren't your thing, try the Tigers against A's lefty Brad
- The Daily Grind: 9-2-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. Daily DFS
Brad Penny is a target due to a high walk rate. He didn't show this issue while getting ready in the minors, but he's currently walked nine hitters against seven
- The Daily Grind: 9-7-14 - Presented by FanDuel
At one point, the Braves were the top team against left-handers. They're fourth best now, which isn't great for Brad Hand. ERA, projection systems, and ERA estimators all agree that Hand's
- A Complete Log of Brad Boxberger's Defensive Chances
If you are a casual baseball fan, you probably haven't heard of Brad Boxberger. If you are a casual baseball fan, though, you probably aren't hanging out at FanGraphs, clicking on posts about Brad
- The Daily Grind: 5-1-14 - Presented by FanDuel
suddenly forgotten how to generate any whiffs. Meanwhile, Jimenez has forgotten that pesky thing called the strike zone.
Mariners lefties might be active against Brad Peacock.
- The Daily Grind: 5-6-14 - Presented by FanDuel
the ability to pitch to a low ERA.
I bet the A's really get after Erasmo Ramirez in the second game of the doubleheader. He'll look like he's throwing beach balls after Felix Hernandez.
- The Daily Grind: 5-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
John Danks versus Brad Peacock is another game to exploit in Houston.
The Brewers righty stack will face Travis Wood in Chicagoland.
Jacob Turner has been rather lousy this season
- The Daily Grind: 5-22-14 - Presented by FanDuel
scrubby Astros starters - there's Brad Peacock.
Hitters (power): You could try a couple guys like Seth Smith, Chase Headley, or Yasmani Grandal against Edwin Jackson.
Justin Smoak is cold, cold
- The Daily Grind: 7-22-14 - Presented by FanDuel
from the Rockies. I'm guess that will be Tom Wilhelmsen? Any Mariners fans have a lead on this?
The Athletics possess a difficult offense to stymie, but that's exactly what Brad Peacock
- The Daily Grind: 8-5-14 - Presented by FanDuel
like Josh Tomlin a lot. In fact, I'm using him all over the place. But that doesn't change the fact that he's a fly ball pitcher with a high HR/FB ratio. Long balls are a DFSer's friend.
- The Daily Grind: 8-14-14 - Presented by FanDuel
probably allow some runs, but he's not likely to melt. Webster has struggled with the transition to the MLB hill, a trend which may continue into today.
Personally, I think Brad Penny could pitch
- The Daily Grind: 8-15-14 - Presented by FanDuel
against the Astros (9 IP shutout, 10 K).
Trevor Cahill versus Brad Hand is yet another recipe for runs. Too bad we're baking them in the wrong dish (Marlins Stadium).
The Angels face Nick
- The Daily Grind: 9-8-14 - Presented by FanDuel
(by RA9-WAR), albeit with a negative FIP based WAR. Axelrod is a fly ball pitcher in a scary park for flies.
Rapid Fire: The A's draw Hector Noesi at U.S. Cellular Field. The Brewers face Brad Penny
- The Daily Grind: 9-14-14 - Presented by FanDuel
recently, so I'm back to looking at three "closers" in Tampa. Jake McGee is still the top dog while Brad Boxberger is the most talented. In his return from injury, Glen Perkins was beaten by a lengthy
- Jarred Cosart and the World's Worst 1.95 ERA
Feldman, Brad Peacock, Dallas Keuchel, and Lucas Harrell. Cosart is the front runner among the remaining options which include Paul Clemens, Brett Oberholtzer, Alex White, Asher Wojciechowski
- Aroldis Chapman Is Still Ridiculous
is a seriously epic. Just in terms of whiffs, Chapman's slider compares favorably to Brad Lidge's invisible slide-piece.
Chapman's velocity got stronger as the year wore on, ranging from
- The Daily Grind: 4-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
DFS format where you're playing against a wide field of competition, it can help to have runs scored and RBI double counted. When Robinson Cano drives in Brad Miller, you get a point for Cano's RBI
- Risers and Fallers From Week One
did nothing in Florida.
Justin Smoak (up): Regression looms, but I'm not sure anyone really factored how nice it would be for Smoak to bat with runners on base. The top three of Almonte, Brad
- The Daily Grind: 4-9-14
on the hill, they'll face Miguel Gonzalez. Stack those New York lefties.
I've grown to like Brad Hand, but he's being thrust into the rotation on short notice. He might not be able to go deep in the game
- Strategic Reminders
Ottovino and Brad Hand, but they're usually less elite in the other categories.
- The Daily Grind: 5-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. As is Josmil Pinto beans.
Maybe George Springer will finally light up the scoreboard against Maurer.
Hitters (speed): Brad Miller and Michael Saunders could be worth a peek against McHugh.
- The Daily Grind: 5-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
, but he'll have to contend with the Yankees' short left-field porch tomorrow. As a fly ball pitcher, there's a risk he allows three or more home runs.
A game of Colby Lewis versus Brad Peacock promises
- The Daily Grind: 5-15-14
Gillaspie to the pool against Collin McHugh.
Hitters (speed): Chris Denorfia looks attractive against Jorge de la Rosa.
With Kyle Gibson on the mound, Mariners lefties lefties like Brad Miller
- The Daily Grind: 5-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
: short porch.
Lefty Mariners should benefit from facing Ricky Nolasco. Just remember the park is less than ideal for stacking.
With John Danks facing Brad Peacock, the Astros game looks like
- The Daily Grind: 5-21-14 - Presented by FanDuel
% deposit bonus up to $200. Click here to win your seat ticket.
1. Stage Two
Events conspired to keep me up to 2:00 AM PT last night. Zombie Brad is aware of today's early contests, so he's
- The Daily Grind: 7-13-14 - Presented by FanDuel
a ton of hitters who thrive against left-handed pitching, but they could still poke a few runs past Brad Hand. CitiField's park factor for right-handed home runs is 110, meaning it's a surprisingly
- The Daily Grind: 8-26-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Noesi could be a league average pitcher in say PNC Park. His fly ball profile doesn't mix well with U.S. Cellular Field.
In case you don't have enough exploits, Brad Peacock will face the Athletics
- The Daily Grind: 9-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
is a factor in his favor, but the Pirates lineup is deceptively deep. They could give Workman fits.
The Nationals will face a mediocre southpaw - Brad Hand. The Nats hit lefties pretty well, which
- Two Expert Drafts, Minimal Starting Pitching
and draft strategies, I'm only aiming to give you a look under the hood. I hope you find something actionable.
The FOX league includes writers like Howard Bender, a different Brad Johnson
- Five Potential Breakouts
don't be surprised if he's finding a lot of playing time early on. Keep an eye out on how often he starts and how he performs, he could be a post-draft steal.
Brad Miller, SS, Seattle Mariners
- The Daily Grind: 4-2-13 - Presented by FanDuel
To accomplish a first place finish, I needed Brad Miller (or Howie Kendrick) to deliver an RBI hit and score a run. Miller made it easy by popping a ninth inning, two-run bomb. My opponents also made it easy
- The Daily Grind: 4-13-14 - Presented by FanDuel
, then the decidedly average Brad Hand becomes a sneaky pick for a win.
To Exploit: Roberto Hernandez is a fly ball pitcher in a park that can punish fly balls. The Braves are a feast and famine team, so you
- The Daily Grind: 4-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
only at extreme necessity.
Jesse Chavez is growing in popularity. He has a good chance to win against Brad Peacock.
Robbie Erlin is fairly talented plus he's a lefty at Petco - always a good thing
- The Daily Grind: 4-20-14 - Presented by FanDuel
And speaking of good stacks, Erik Johnson draws the Rangers matchup in Texas.
My last stack pick is the A's against Brad Peacock. I could go deeper - Roberto Hernandez is in Denver today
- The Daily Grind: 4-24-14 - Presented by FanDuel
was left-handed so I could watch Carlos Gomez go yard on the first pitch of the game. Hell, it could still happen.
Brad Peacock is on the wrong side of the Jesse Chavez matchup. I say that because
- The Daily Grind: 4-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
of guy, but there are so many hitter friendly parks available tonight.
Speaking of which, the Athletics face Brad Peacock at Houston.
Roberto Hernandez versus Josh Collmenter could be a high
- The Daily Grind: 4-29-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Ethier or Juan Uribe?
Maybe Bobby Abreu will start against Kyle Kendrick.
You can try Kyle Seager, Justin Smoak, or Brad Miller against Phelps in New York. They'll be aiming at the short porch
- The Daily Grind: 5-2-14 - Presented by FanDuel
, Target field and chilly night conditions hurt offensive expectations.
The Mariners lefty stack is viable Brad Peacock on the hill. He's opposed by Felix Hernandez, so today does not look good
- The Daily Grind: 5-7-14 - Presented by FanDuel
, the Twins don't have many of those to start against Danny Salazar. On the other hand, the Indians can start eight of them against Ricky Nolasco.
Brad Peacock has to work his way through a potent Tigers
- The Daily Grind: 5-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Mark Buehrle isn't easy to mash, but he spins the occasional clunker. The right-handed elements of the Angels lineup are very potent.
Colby Lewis versus Brad Peacock smells like a lot of runs
- The Daily Grind - 5-13-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. Kelly Johnson and Yangervis Solarte will try to dink one down the line.
Matt Joyce and David DeJesus, come on down.
And while we're at it, let's see Michael Saunders, Justin Smoak, and Brad
- The Daily Grind: 5-16-14 - Presented by FanDuel
will face Cosart.
Hitters (speed): Just as with Stubbs, Brandon Barnes should start. Charlie Blackmon sometimes blocks one of them from action.
Mariners speed-based lefties like James Jones and Brad
- The Daily Grind: 5-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
You could try George Springer against Tyler Skaggs.
Justin Smoak has a rare favorable matchup.
Hitters (speed): James Jones, Michael Saunders, and Brad Miller also appear usable
- The Daily Grind: 5-23-14 - Presented by FanDuel
The Seattle Mariners will see Brad Peacock in their House of the (Never) Rising Sun.
Not making the cut were "We must protect this house," House, M.D., weighted-ball proponent Tom House, and former lefty
- The Daily Grind: 5-28-14 - Presented by FanDuel
in their lineup, but Chris Davis might be enough by himself against Astros' starter Brad Peacock. His problem (Peacock) is a 14.6 percent walk rate, which works out to 6.0 BB/9.
Angels starter Wade LeBlanc
- The Daily Grind: 5-29-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Brad Peacock. I'm not finding much use for the O's offense on account of their cost. Unless you can find one of those $3,000 to $4,500 type pitchers, it's hard to fit any kind of stack together
- The Daily Grind: 6-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
once all season, so maybe I don't). However, I do worry about his performance against a fairly powerful Astros lineup. Perhaps Brad Peacock is the better target in this game, since he faces the Angels
- The Daily Grind: 6-5-14 - Present by FanDuel
this evening and they all start before 9:00 PM ET.
The Los Angeles Angels feature a fearsome lineup. Brad Peacock is usually pretty exploitable, especially in a shallow pool of games. On the other side
- The Daily Grind: 6-9-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Parra has a decent matchup with Brad Peacock.
The table below indicates which stadiums have the best conditions for hitters today. The color coding is a classic stoplight where green
- The Daily Grind: 6-20-14 - Presented by FanDuel
left-handed pitcher. Joe Saunders is a decidedly mediocre lefty. Expect some offense. Unfortunately, Mike Trout costs more than a mid-tier pitcher these days.
Felix Doubront versus Brad Mills has
- The Daily Grind: 6-24-14
, which means tomorrow is a good time to pick up Orioles.
Soft-tossing lefty Brad Mills is probably a target. He's certainly an interesting story with his $1 purchase price.
Speaking of soft
- The Daily Grind: 6-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
for a long time. This year, he's working with a 5.12 ERA and 3.86 FIP. DIPS theory says he'll be better. Years of experience say otherwise.
Brad Mills is a bit of an unknown quantity. It's hard to gauge
- The Daily Grind: 6-30-14 - Presented by FanDuel
-handed pitching. Brad Mills will have a tough time holding them down. His pitching style is much better suited to the Coliseum.
Lesser targets include Justin Masterson, Scott Carroll, Ricky Nolasco
- The Daily Grind: 7-2-14 - Presented by FanDuel
righty Brad Peacock.
If you have the option, the Nationals face Tyler Matzek. The Rockies string of promotees all had a reputation as high upside pitchers before the fizzled out. It feels weird
- The Daily Grind: 7-7-14 - Presented by FanDuel
, this is a much safer target for traditional fantasy players. If the Pads shoot a blank, what are you out? Four plate appearances?
Brad Hand versus newly acquired Vidal Nuno sounds like a high scoring
- The Daily Grind: 7-9-14 - Presented by FanDuel
100% deposit bonus up to $200. Click here to win your seat ticket.
1. More Closer Notes
Yesterday we talked about Brad Boxberger and the Rays bullpen. A few other 'pens are unsettled
- The Daily Grind: 7-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
I thought Brad Hand was a potential breakout candidate. He's posted strong strikeout and walk numbers in his recent minor league stops, but he's failed to translate those to the majors.
- The Daily Grind: 7-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
to be better against the Blue Jays. Even with injuries to Edwin Encarnacion and Adam Lind.
Brad Hand either needs to figure out how to walk fewer batters or strike out more of them. Even Marlins Stadium
- The Daily Grind: 7-23-14 - Presented by FanDuel
pitcher, and he channels his inner Vance Worley to strike out more batters than his whiff rate would suggest is possible. The Rangers offense is timid, but not altogether tame.
Brad Peacock is most
- The Daily Grind: 7-24-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. He's at home tomorrow against the Cardinals.
Brad Hand at Houston seems like a sink or swim type outing. The Astros strike out plenty and George Springer is out of action. However, Hand has lousy
- The Daily Grind: 7-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
of meltdowns this season, so don't rule out a high scoring game.
Brad Hand is once again troubled by walks. It's an old problem for the 24-year-old lefty, but I do think he'll eventually shake
- The Daily Grind: 7-29-14 - Presented by FanDuel
hitters who would make for good picks against Kyle Kendrick. He (Kendrick) has been prone to first inning blowups, and he's shown platoon splits in the past too.
Brad Hand draws a tough Nationals
- The Daily Grind: 7-30-14 - Presented by FanDuel
exploitable among the early pitchers is lefty Brad Hand. He's opposed by a lefty-mashing Nationals lineup. Hand walks more guys than he should, which increases the damage against him.
- The Daily Grind: 8-16-14 - Presented by FanDuel
, tonight's game could be quite adventurous. He's opposed by Carlos Carrasco, who tends to look a lot better out of the bullpen.
Brad Peacock's walk rate is his greatest enemy. If he could just cut down
- The Daily Grind: 8-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
ago, I thought he was a 5.50 ERA quality pitcher. In case Brad minus 30 days is right, let's keep him up here.
You wish you could target Dylan Axelrod and Yohan Flande, but they pitch
- The Daily Grind: 8-21-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. He has to survive the Detroit juggernaut.
It's kind of shocking that Franklin Morales continues to draw starts. Brad Mills has flipped all over the league this year. He's a much better candidate
- The Daily Grind: 8-22-14 - Presented by FanDuel
a pitcher's value quickly. Just ask Jose Fernandez.
2. Daily DFS
Early: Kevin Gausman and Jake Arrieta hog the early slot. DFS owners can forget about them.
Late: Brad Peacock
- The Daily Grind: 8-23-14 - Presented by FanDuel
giving up three runs in five innings, Miles Mikolas' ERA went down. Let's see if the Royals can keep his ERA above 7.00.
Brad Hand versus Christian Bergman at Coors Field is a fantasy paradise
- The Daily Grind: 8-24-14 - Presented by FanDuel
after 4:00 ET.
Today's recipe for runs comes to us from Coors Field, where lefty Brad Hand will oppose righty Christian Bergman. Both pitchers are known to spontaneously combust.
- The Daily Grind: 8-27-14 - Presented by FanDuel
hurt Brad Peacock. Unlike Hendriks, Peacock also adds a ton of walks to the list of problems. He'll face a capable A's offense.
Rapid Fire: Drew Smyly is on the wrong side of the platoon against
- The Daily Grind: 9-6-14 - Presented by FanDuel
to a reliable sort of mediocrity. I think he has even more ceiling, but he's not near it at this time.
Brad Hand has a low strikeout rate, above average walk rate, and he usually doesn't last very deep
- The Daily Grind: 9-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
to Exploit: Today doesn't have a Ranger of the Day, but tomorrow sure does. It's Scott Baker's turn to look bad in Texas. The Braves, however, are kind of terrible against northpaws.
Lefty Brad Hand
- The Daily Grind: 9-13-14 - Presented by FanDuel
With the obvious exception of Teheran, the rest of the pitchers in this contest have good days and bad days. They're all playing in hitter friendly stadiums. Good luck.
Late: Brad Hand versus Kyle
- A Collection of Five Category Hitters
- Top 100 Spring Hitters by OPS
- Ubaldo Jimenez Sends Orioles Hurtling Toward Nelson Cruz
All offseason long, Nelson Cruz was thought of as a terrifying land mine. Plenty was written elsewhere, plenty was written right here, and in early November, Dave used the term "land mine
- A Look at Today's Pitchers: 10-5-13
- Continuing Coverage of Joe Kelly, or Kelly's Wild Night
- The Grand Slam That Almost Wasn't
- An Inauspicious Night for Will Middlebrooks
- Select 2013 World Series Moments as Viewed by ChampAdded
- Far East Rumors and Game Theory
- Why Do We Use MPH?
- The Yankees and McCann: A Perfect Match
- The Astros Begin the Long Climb
- Don't Expect Big Changes in Philadelphia
- What Alex Rodriguez's Suspension Means for the Yankees
- Did Somebody Screw Up Carlos Gomez's Scouting Report?
- The Orioles Play in the Shallow End of Free Agency
- The Phillies Take the Middle Road
- A Data-Centric View on Why the Phillies May Want to Avoid Losing
- The Royals: Curiouser and Curiouser
- The Pitcher Who Did the Most With the Least
- The Rays Need Their Depth Early
- Dodgers Make a Low Risk Investment in Rotation Depth
- On the New Collision Rules at Home Plate
- Projection Leaderboard Fun Courtesy of ZiPS and Fans
- Pick `Em: Arizona's Shortstop Conundrum
- 2014 Positional Power Rankings: Right Field
- Tough Decisions: Gregory Polanco
- The Marlins First Week Juggernaut
- Long Balls Plaguing Brandon McCarthy
- Scouting Dean Anna as a Pitcher
- Lineup Genius in Cleveland
- Colorado's Canny Outfield Platoon
- The Angels' Reluctant Strike Throwers
- Ottoneu Arbitration: A Guide for 2014
- Domonic Brown Goes Mashing
- B.J. Upton: Living in the Basement
- Leonys Martin: To Platoon or Not to Platoon
- Bryce Harper: A Catch-34
- Alfonso Soriano: Barring Injury
- Christian Yelich: Modest Success
- Josh Reddick: Mr. Replacement
- Healthiful, Flavorful, Venable
- Michael Bourn: To Steal a Base
- Gerardo Parra: Back to the Platoon
- The Quietly Consistent Nick Swisher
- Barnes in New Pastures
- David Murphy: A Platoon of His Own
- Stephen Strasburg: Not Quite Elite
- Cole Hamels is a Model of Consistency
- What Should We Make of Tim Lincecum
- Patrick Corbin: A Tale of Two Halves
- Zach McAllister: Fit for Streaming
- John Lackey is Relevant Again
- Cliff Lee: Still Studly
- Valuing Your Last Roster Spot
- Lance Lynn's Fatal Flaw
- Sonny Gray for Ace
- Ivan Nova Regresses
- Dillon Gee Has a Confusing Season
- Ottoneu Strategy Corner: Consideration About Value
- Ottoneu Strategy Corner: Sending Signals
- Danny Salazar Can Throw That Speed Ball By You
- Michael Wacha Requests Your Attention
- Nathan Eovaldi and the Top Heavy Repertoire
- The Endowment Effect is Your Enemy
- When Should You Pay for Elite Relievers?
- Kenley Jansen Is Increasingly Amazing
- Elite Relievers in an Ottoneu Points Format
- Ottoneu Strategy Corner: Various Offseason Trade Strategies
- The Padres Outfield
- The Giants Bullpen
- The Dodgers Rotation
- The Diamondbacks Rotation
- The Athletics Outfield
- The Athletics Rotation
- Jarrod Parker: Outstanding in One Way
- Lessons From My First Mock
- What I Learned From Jeff Sullivan Learning About WAR
- The Pirates Outfield
- The Cardinals Rotation
- The Royals Infield
- Beware of Sleepers
- Prospects in Ottoneu: Additional Thoughts
- The Phillies Rotation
- The Phillies Infield
- The Rays Rotation
- The Rays Outfield
- The Yankees Infield
- So Your Keeper League Has Too Many Fire Sales...
- Fantasy Baseball Isn't Poker
- Some Relievers Who Are Maybe Possibly Good Targets
- Stolen Topic: Three Players I Won't Draft
- Eight and a Half Observations Using ZiPS Projections
- Relievers Who Have SP-Eligibility in Yahoo
- Lessons From a Botched Yahoo Draft
- Nomination Strategy Guide
- Lessons Learned From a Shallow Linear Weights Draft
- The Obvious Risk of Drafting to Trade (And Bold Pick #11)
- Erik Johnson: Late Round Breakout Candidate
- The Cruel Power of Suggestion
- Drew Hutchison Begs Your Attention
- 10 Fantasy Relevant Predictions (Not Very Bold)
- Thoughts About Speed, ISO, and Fantasy Baseball
- The FanDuel Daily Grind: 3-28-14
- The FanDuel Daily Grind 3-29-14
- The FanDuel Daily Grind 3-30-14
- The FanDuel Daily Grind: 3-31-14
- The Daily Grind: 4-1-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The 30 Gassiest Relievers - Ridiculously Early Results
- The Daily Grind: 4-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-5-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-6-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-7-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-8-12 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-10-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- April Meltdowns Bring May Flowers
- The Daily Grind: 4-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-14-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-15-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-16-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Five Players to Sell High
- The Daily Grind: 4-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Five Buy High Pitchers
- How to Make Your Head Hurt Thinking About Trades
- The Daily Grind: 4-21-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-22-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Travis Wood: Real Fantasy Pitcher?
- The Daily Grind: 4-26-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind 4-27-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-28-14 - Present by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-30-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Four Players Who Pass the Eye Test
- Three Pitchers Who Do Not Pass the Eye Test
- The Daily Grind: 5-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-5-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-8-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Six Swingers to Avoid
- The Daily Grind: 5-9-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-10-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5/14/14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Six Worm Murdering Hitters
- Select Home Run Park Factors, Visualized
- The Daily Grind: 5-20-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Sometimes It Pays to Make a Bad Trade
- The Daily Grind: 5-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-26-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-27-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Dallas Keuchel, Further Reviewed
- The Daily Grind: 5-30-14
- Five Select Players, Heat Mapped
- The Daily Grind: 5-31-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-2-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Team Performance by Pitcher Handedness - Two Months In
- The Daily Grind: 6-6-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-7-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-8-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-10-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Roto 101 - Analyzing The Standings
- The Daily Grind: 6-13-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-14-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-15-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-16-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Billy Hamilton - Better Than We Thought?
- A Fire Sale But Not A Liquidation
- The Daily Grind: 6-21-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-26-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Ongoing Fire Sale Coverage - Lessons
- The Daily Grind: 6-27-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-28-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-29-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-5-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Power of a Compliment
- The Daily Grind: 7-10-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Continued Ongoing Fire Sale Coverage
- The Daily Grind: 7-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Tricks of the Trade - Tips for the Stretch Run
- Selling An Elite Keeper for More Keepers
- Keeper Trades - 8 Injured Players to Target
- The Daily Grind: 7-28-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-31-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-1-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-2-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-13-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Further Ongoing Fire Sale Coverage
- The Daily Grind: 8-28-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-29-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-31-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 9-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 9-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 9-5-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 9-9-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 9-10-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 9-11-14 - Presented by FanGraphs
- The Daily Grind: 9-15-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 9-16-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Leadoff Rating 2.0
- Is Nolan Ryan Overrated by FIP?
- Brad Bergesen: Look Over Your Shoulder
Having good pitching depth within an organization means that a MLB starter should never get too comfortable. Orioles right-hander Brad Bergesen is no doubt looking over his shoulder after two poor
- Tigers Add Brad Penny for Rotation Depth
represent a quality one-two punch, the rest of the rotation remains a question. The Tigers helped strengthen the crew today by signing Brad Penny to a one-year, $3 million deal that could become $6
- Brad Penny Leaves Solid Legacy In America
Brad Penny's career in American professional baseball may not be officially over quite yet, but it has been put on hold. The 33-year-old right-hander will instead pitch for the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks
- Oakland Uses Brad Ziegler to Free Brandon Allen
, they used Brad Ziegler to (hopefully) free Brandon Allen.
First, the Diamondbacks' perspective. As much of a head-scratcher as this trade seems to be, there is probably only one redeeming factor. Ziegler
- Kevin Kiermaier & Brad Snyder: Deep League Wire
some real value to their team.
Brad Snyder | OF TEX | 0% Owned
You want deep? Try a player owned in 0% of leagues. Snyder debuted with the Rangers last night and it's likely that his ownership
- The Parallels Between Brad Emaus and Dan Uggla
While the team has made no official announcement, it has become clear this week that the Mets intend to name Rule 5 pick Brad Emaus the starting second baseman. The first indication came on Monday
- FanGraphs Scouting: Bird-Dogging Brad Mills
of the Padres organization is definitely on the mound but the upper ranks of the system is a little bare. As such, I strongly recommend that you considering posing offers for Toronto's Brad Mills
- Audio: Former Catcher Brad Ausmus on Fresh Air
As a Dodger, Ausmus would often accidentally freeze mid-swing.
Fans of the Astros might've have been very ready for catcher Brad Ausmus's departure from that team. The available numbers from
- Divine Intervention: Brad Mills Traded to the Angels
Save for San Diego, it's hard to envision a more heavenly landing spot for a pitcher like Brad Mills than the Angels. An extreme fly ball lefty prone to whiplash, Mills bombed in three brief big
- Brad Ausmus Hates Your Fantasy Team
OK, so not really. In fact, if you don't know Brad Ausmus personally, then he probably doesn't even know you have a fantasy team, let alone care about it. But the headline is a good attention-grabber
- Relative Waiver Wire: Brad Miller, Aaron Hicks
a time or three. Those players are unlikely to capture imaginations, although an automatic dismissal is often hasty.
2B/SS Brad Miller, Seattle Mariners
Ownership: CBS 23% | Yahoo! 30
- Alternative Jokes For Brad Ausmus's Next Open Mic Night
Brad Ausmus is the handsome manager of the Detroit Tigers, one of only 30 men in the world who can claim a job managing a Major League Baseball team. That’s a hell of a gig, and you think most people
- BREAKING: Adam Rosales Claimed by Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie
OAKLAND -- The sports world and entertainment world collided Monday, when the celebrity couple of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie officially claimed infielder Adam Rosales. Jolie, who has a history
- Brad Hawpe Hits Free Agency A Few Weeks Early
When we heard that the Rockies placed OF Brad Hawpe on waivers, it came as no surprise. Most players on a 40-man roster are placed on waivers in August, since the process presents no downside
- Brad Lidge and Travis Snider: Waiver Wire Preparation for the Second Half
for your second half push. Players coming back from injury are always a good target as well as players recently called back up from the minors. Here are two for you to consider...
Brad Lidge |RP
- Brad Miller and Chris Getz: MI Waiver Wire Help
that perfect guy you're looking for, but you might find someone who will stick for the duration of the season such as...
Brad Miller, SEA |SS| Ownership: ESPN - 20.9% Yahoo - 13.0% CBS - 40.0
- Brad Peacock (again!), Ryan Flaherty and Addison Reed: Prospect Chatter
In this edition...
A second take on Brad Peacock, a first look at a couple of Ryans and another reason rookie Addison Reed could be the White Sox's new closer.
When teams make moves, trades
- Brad Hand & Daniel Nava: Deep League Waiver Wire
reserved for owners in mono leagues.
Brad Hand / SP / Miami Marlins
1 percent Yahoo / .5 percent ESPN / 9 percent CBS ownership
It’s been quite a July for the left-, um, handed Hand, 24, who ends his
- Jacob Lamb & Brad Penny: Deep League Waiver Wire
as a guy who will call Chase Field and its left-handed-happy contours home.
Brad Penny / SP / Miami Marlins
0% Yahoo / .2% ESPN / 1% CBS ownership
Yes, Penny is alive. And pitching. And, maybe
- Kyle Blanks, Trayvon Robinson, Brad Brach: Mining the Minors
, but the trade for Rivera likely puts Robinson in a holding pattern. Expect him to get the call this year, but it may not come before September now.
Brad Brach, RP
- Leonys Martin, Brad Peacock and Garrett Richards: Mining the Minors
might not be a bad consolation prize.
ETA: Mid- to late-August, so he can be eligible to play in the postseason if the Rangers make it.
Brad Peacock, SP
- Brett Jackson, Phillippe Aumont, Brad Peacock: Prospect Chatter
reliever with some holds in NL leagues.
3) Brad Peacock
As I've written before, perhaps no prospect's performance in 2011 was more meaningful to his long-term projection than Peacock's. Prior to last
- Mixed League Waiver Wire: B.J. Upton, Brad Miller
to an inquiry about him indirectly, too see if they can still acquire him at a discount.
SS Brad Miller, Seattle Mariners
Ownership: CBS 32% | Yahoo! 29% | ESPN 3.8%
Eno and I talked about him on Tuesday