- Brandon Allen Freed
Brandon Allen has been a bit of a cult figure here at FanGraphs. ">As Jonah Keri wrote back in February:
Brandon Allen is entering what should be the prime years of his career. He’s got power, can
- Brandon Allen, Strikeouts, and Definitions
Sometimes baseball analysis is similar to semantics. Define Brandon Allen one way, and he's got a bright future despite some early struggles. Define the 25-year-old first baseman from a different
- Brandon Allen Belongs in the Bigs
thoughts here on a regular basis, and we're pleased to welcome our own prodigal back home.
Brandon Allen has done everything a prospect can do to prove he deserves a legitimate major league opportunity
- Free Brandon Allen!
the best possible talent on the major league stage burns strong, decades after Bill James first started the movement.
With all that established...Free Brandon Allen!
Grabbed in the 5th
- The Tony Pena-Brandon Allen Trade
of the season. I can imagine that may change a tad due to the switch in leagues, but as far as ballparks he's moving from one rough neighborhood to another.
The price for Pena is Brandon Allen. The 23
- Stupid Photo Essay: The Brandon Allen Home Run
It's with that in mind that we present this, a photo essay of Brandon Allen's upper-deck home run (video) at Yankee Stadium from Tuesday night.
1. Brandon Allen faces, and makes loud contact off of, one of the few
- New Opportunities: Brandon Allen & Jerry Hairston Jr.
Pence; value can be found in lesser deals -- where players are given new opportunities at playing time. Two recently traded players that may fit that description are Brandon Allen and Jerry Hairston
- Daric Barton Returns, Brandon Allen Free Again
Brandon Allen has been set free. With Daric Barton eligible to return from a stint on the disabled list, the Oakland Athletics designated Allen for assignment. The 26-year-old started two
- Oakland Uses Brad Ziegler to Free Brandon Allen
, they used Brad Ziegler to (hopefully) free Brandon Allen.
First, the Diamondbacks' perspective. As much of a head-scratcher as this trade seems to be, there is probably only one redeeming factor. Ziegler
- Brandon Warne's 10 Bold Predictions: Year of our Lord 2015
Neil Allen on his side, and I think Gibson has some sleeper potential. The bowling ball sinker (54.4% GB rate last year) will always be there, but health and better stuff seem to be coming down the line
- Cody Allen & Brandon Barnes: Deep League Wire
read RotoGraphs every day and get the best advice on the planet.
Cody Allen | CLE RP | 4% Owned
Chris Perez hit the DL on Monday and was diagnosed with tendinitis in his right rotator cuff
- Keeper League 'Would You Rather?' -- Brandon Allen or Paul Goldschmidt
with the hopes that an inexpensive youngster will eventually provide big time power at a bargain rate. So let's look at two of the more popular options from the youth bin...
Would you rather protect Brandon
- Allen and Bourjos: Waiver Wire
Brandon Allen (Yahoo: 3 percent owned, ESPN: 4 percent owned)
Allen’s last two games in New York seem to paint a pretty accurate picture of him as a player. Tuesday night, he crushed two home runs
- Allen Brings the Power Back
, and Tony Clark.
The organization will now give rookie Brandon Allen a shot at the job. The big, sturdy prospect was acquired from the Chicago White Sox back on July 7. The American League club
- The Red Sox Acquire Boof
will be cheap and under team control for a number of years (he has three years of service time), and could be as good as Brandon Lyon out of the pen.
Bonser has a FIP of 4.60, compared to Lyon's
- Tons of Strikeouts and Walks From Morrow
The Major League leader in strikeouts per nine among starting pitchers, with 11.9, is Brandon Morrow. He is second among starting pitchers in BB/9 with 5.9. If you put that together, and add in his
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Houston
pitcher. The bullpen, led by Brandon Lyon and Matt Lindstrom, and bench are poor.
This is a team with just very little talent. The team lacks a top-tier superstar, has few solidly above average
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent -- Detroit
Cabrera, which is not a ringing endorsement. Joining Damon on the wrong side of thirty in the Tigers' starting lineup are Gerald Laird, Brandon Inge, Adam Everett, Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Guillen
- Colby Lewis's Sliders
to "pimp his dawg" (or whatever youthful slang Carson would use to describe his support). And for good reason: he sits just behind Brandon Morrow on the AL K/9 leaderboard with 10.47, and, although he has
- Angels Sign Pineiro
Aybar and Brandon Wood. The right side of the infield should be good: both Jeff Zimmerman's UZR projections and Sean Smith's CHONE defensive projections have the pair at +5 runs together. But the two
- "Does Bill James Even Like to Watch Baseball?"
many wins did they average in those seasons? Fifteen. Even pitchers who pitch well over a full season do not necessarily get near 19 wins (the lowest total was Brandon Webb's 2004 season with just
- A New Metric of High Unimportance: SCRAP
- You Can't Handle the Plouffe
to 2013), Plouffe can only hit lefties. Consider:
v. LHP - .278/.346/.495 (.363 wOBA) | v. RHP .227/.284/.382 (.293 wOBA)
In 2013 context, he was Allen Craig versus lefties, but Zack Cozart
- Monitoring Kyle Gibson Trends
of 62 percent, an opponents’ batting line of .269/.331/.375, and strikes 62.6 percent of the time.
A pitch to keep an eye on with Gibson will be the changeup. With Neil Allen coming over from Tampa
- Crowdsourcing the Scoresheet Offseason
At first glance, it’ll be Gray, Richards, Sale and Darvish for sure. I like Gibson a fair amount -- I wrote about him here recently
- Revisiting 10 Bold Predictions
and injury-prone, and not great up the middle. Jon Jay, Allen Craig, and Lance Berkman have all missed significant time this season, and while that’s given time for guys like Matt Carpenter to emerge, it’s
- Kyle Gibson's Ceiling
, but it was reportedly an emphasis with pitching coach Neil Allen coming over from Tampa Bay.
In other words, there seems to be the possible evolution of a three-pitch mix, and with the improvement of command, could
- Scoresheet Season Three: Both Leagues, BP Kings
Allen Webster (Round 24, after Jaff Decker, before Manny Parra)
Kohl Stewart (Minor League Keeper)
Marcus Stroman (Minor League Keeper)
Randall Delgado (Round 20, after Tim Beckham, before Jesse
- Carp, Lind, Allen, Johnson: First Base Notes
BABIP love could have his average back into the .280-ish range. Francisco probably still isn't worth a roster spot.
Brandon Allen | Athletics | Owned: 1% Yahoo! and 0.6% ESPN
- Allen Craig, Who Once Knew Left Field
their pitching. Let's accept that improving a team's offense is a complicated matter. Let's accept that part of the problem, but not the whole of the problem, is the struggling Allen Craig. Now
- Brandon Warne's 10 Bold Predictions
- Brandon Warne's 10 Bold Predictions
- Brandon Warne's Ten Bold Predictions
- Brandon Warne's 10 Bold Predictions
- The Opposite Trends of Starlin Castro and Allen Craig
Not too long ago, I observed that Allen Craig was getting pitched differently. He was getting pitched differently because he was hitting differently, in that he hasn't been hitting for pull power. So
- Allen Craig: The Wrench Or Just a Fantasy Tool?
I'm not really sure what is driving the obsession here, but count me in here for a third time discussing Cardinals 1B/OF Allen Craig. The first time I wrote about The Wrench, back in late January, I
- Revisiting Brandon Warne's 10 (Horrible) Bold Predictions
- Brandon Warne Revisits Terrible Ten Bold Predictions 2015
- Brandon Phillips Does the Mudd Foot (GIF!)
, writing styles, and the alternatively crude/gentlepersonly/apocalyptic sensibility contained here at the site.
With all these things in mind, I would like to present Brandon Phillips doing the "Mudd
- Brandon Belt Fooling Around with His Identity
We know not to read too much into statistics at the beginning of the season. As of right now, Allen Craig is hitting a line of .154/.211/.231. Sure, it's ugly -- but then it's only been 14 games
- Dick Allen Surrounded by ...
Dick Allen surrounded by ... Allen wrenches!
Allen wrenches! Although, I suppose, if one were so inclined, one could view the above adornments as peckers of a certain crudity -- "dicks
- Dick Allen Sings!
Turns out Dick Allen, your hero and mine, once cut a single with a doo-wop outfit called the Ebonistics titled, "Echoes of November." Please enjoy:
- Be Your Own Dick Allen
Dick Allen -- smoker, All-Star, activist, eternal bon vivant. If you're reading (or writing) these electronic pages, you either secretly wish that you were Dick Allen, or you publicly wish that you
- The Dick Allen Experience
In keeping with Carson's explorations of Dick Allen, there's this:
What to say about this thing of wonder? The White Sox wore red! He's juggling! He has the facial hair of a 19th-century
- A Poem with Dick Allen's Name in It
could actually be enjoyable. These are the ones from whom I've shamelessly stolen everything.
A Poem with Dick Allen's Name in It
In this game I made up, what you do
is think of exactly ten
- I Traded For Allen Webster
I traded for Allen Webster and I'm not sure you should too. You see, I traded for Webster in a 20-team 28-keeper league, and he's immediately my last keeper. Even if he's the best last keeper, he's
- On Allen Craig, the Magic Man
Allen Craig, so far, has been one of baseball's all-time best hitters with runners in scoring position. Yes, as in ever. This year, he's leading the league in batting average in that split. Last year
- Why Was Allen Craig Running?
cases, Allen Craig was gunned down during an Albert Pujols plate appearance. Before the face palm napalm dropped, there was a question hidden in the initial stunned silence, heard all the way up
- Pitch Type Linear Weights Explained
- Is Ortiz Powering Back Up?
- Quick, Who is Leading the AL in OPS?
- One Win Curveballs
- HITf/x Contrast of HR and non-HR Hitters
- Wakefield's Fastball Redux
- Another Look at HRs at the New Yankee Stadium
- Two Very Different Cutters
- Where are Ryan Howard's HRs going?
- Jamie Moyer is Throwing a Ton of Fastballs
- Chris Davis Had a Hard Time Making Contact
- A Little Help From His Friends
- Jack Cust's New Approach at the Plate
- Lots of Groundballs from Affeldt
- A Two-Win, a One-Win and a Half-Win Fastball
- PITCHf/x Summit Recap
- Lincecum's Great Changeup
- Adventures in Extreme Plate Discipline
- Revisiting Preseason Outfield Defense Expectations
- Harden's Huge Whiff Rate
- Brian Bannister Looks at His PITCHf/x Numbers
- 45 up, 45 down
- Three Lefty Playoff Rotation
- Halladay's Stuff
- The Twins Acquire Orlando Cabrera
- A Rare Bright Spot for the A's
- Making it Work with Lots of Whiffs
- Johnson Leads Florida's Rotation
- Chris B. Young Optioned to AAA
- Where are David Price's Grounders?
- Chris Carpenter is Back
- Yankees' Pen Clamps Down
- Wuertz Strikes Out the Side
- Liriano's Fastball
- Mile High Pitching
- Cliff Lee Finds the NL to His Liking
- Ichiro and Infield Hits
- Phil Hughes as Shutdown Reliever
- The High Heat from Aardsma
- August's Best Hitter
- The Best Pitcher with a Bad Fastball
- Contreras's Arm Slots
- Feliz Shows no Signs of Slowing Down
- Porcello's Inning Count
- Jon Lester's Soaring Strikeout Numbers
- Lilly's Fly Balls
- Bumgarner's Major League Debut
- Oakland's Excellent Young Closer
- Blackburn's Fastball Doesn't Miss Many Bats
- Cahill's Tough Year
- Another Blown Save From Lidge
- Playoff (Effectively) Baseball Tonight in Detroit
- Atlanta Streaks into Wild Card Contention
- Lind Finishing Up with a Bang
- Brewers Sign Hoffman to 2010 Deal
- ALDS Preview: Minnesota Twins
- ALDS Coverage: Twins Offense in Game 1
- ALDS Coverage: Twins' Run Ends
- Previewing Weaver at Yankee Stadium
- Rollins' Horrid BABIP
- Padilla's Fastballs
- Adrian Beltre's Bat Away From Safeco
- Pettitte's Fastballs
- Ryan Howard Against LHPs
- Cliff Lee's Playoff Dominance
- WS Coverage: Pedro's Fastballs
- WS Coverage: Mariano Rivera
- Hoffman's Fastball and HR Prevention
- Wakefield Signs a Two-Year Deal
- Free Agent Marco Scutaro
- David Wright's Power Outage Part 2
- Free Agent Joel Pineiro
- Greinke's Slider
- Pitch Data and Projections
- How Much Power Will Mauer Keep?
- Joe Mauer and Fastballs
- The Brewers Sign a Great Pitch Blocker
- Curtis Granderson Hitting in the Bronx
- Atkins Non-Tendered
- Roy Halladay
- A Small Randy Johnson Retrospective
- A Look at Kotchman's Balls in Play
- A's Re-sign Jack Cust
- Jeter's Seven-Win Season
- The Fans' Playing Time Projections
- Mauer's Performance by Pitch Location
- You Call That a Spray-Chart Split?
- Aaron Hill Follow-up
- Joey Votto's Opposite-Field Power and Amazing Fly-Ball BABIP
- Trying to Explain Vicente Padilla's Platoon Split
- Wakefield's Curious Platoon Split
- David Ortiz's Plate Discipline Decline
- David Ortiz's Power Decline
- Edwin Jackson's Increased Slider Use
- Edwin Jackson's HR Prevention Against LHBs
- Chipper, First Pitches and Saber-minded Reporting
- Chipper's First-Pitch Aggressiveness by Pitcher xFIP
- Are Hitters More Aggressive on First Pitches from Good Pitchers?
- A Last Look at First-Pitch Aggressiveness
- Elijah Dukes Released
- What to Do with Andy Sonnanstine?
- Cincinnati's Fly-Ball Rotation
- What Will the Yankees Do with Joba?
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Minnesota
- Comparing CHONE and FANS projections
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Boston
- Optimizing Yesterday's Lineups
- Braden Really Changes It Up
- Hochevar Throwing Gas
- Yesterday's Dancing Knuckleball
- Can Heyward Lay Off Breaking Balls in the Dirt?
- June Comes Early for Jeff Francoeur
- Two Phillies Add Cutters
- Sheets Shifting on the Rubber
- Anderson Used to Shift His Position on the Mound
- Santana's Fastballs the First Time Through the Order
- Gardner Is Swinging at Nothing
- Grady Sizemore's Plate Discipline Problems
- Pelfrey's Splitter
- Chris Coghlan's Glove-Finding Grounders
- Contreras's Second Arm Slot Redux
- Do Better Players Have More Twitter Followers?
- John Ely's Changeup
- Tommy Hunter's High Curves
- Max Scherzer's Big Strikeout Numbers
- Ordonez's Contact Skills
- If Pittsburgh Were in Game 7 of the World Series Would You Pay $400 Million to Be There?
- Halladay's New Changeup
- A Pitchf/x Look at Cliff Lee's Command
- Jered Weaver’s High Curves
- Adrian Beltre’s Fly Balls
- Cain's Pitch Type Usage in Game 2
- View Fans from World Series Games with TagOramic
- Some Observations on Pace
- Batter Pace
- Network of Baseball Players' Twitter Accounts
- Looking at the 2010 Fan Projections: Part 1
- Looking at the 2010 Fan Projections: Part 2
- Why Fans Do a Worse Job Projecting Their Favorite Team?
- Chris Capuano’s Strange Platoon Split
- Carl Pavano's 2010: Trading Whiffs for Grounders
- Chamberlain's Stuff as a Starter
- The Fans and Marcel in 2011: Position Players
- The Fans and Marcel in 2011: Pitchers
- Knuckleballs and Grounders
- Michael Saunders' Struggles with Outside Pitches
- Kershaw's Hard Slider
- Edwin Jackson's Great Start
- Dan Haren's Commanding Start
- Roy Halladay Throwing Tons of Cutters
- An Entirely Different Matt Garza?
- What's Wrong with Derek Jeter?
- Diagnosing Aroldis Chapman's Wildness
- James Loney's Problems at the Plate
- Jair Jurrjens: Slower Fastball, Better Results?
- How Would Realignment Affect Playoff Races?
- MLB Team Travel
- Derek Jeter and the 3000-Hit Club
- Brian Wilson's Two-Seamer
- First-Year Candidates' Effect on the Rest of the HoF Ballot
- Johnny Damon's Extra Swings in 2011
- Dick Allen's Large and Important Head
It has been said that Dick Allen, patron Mahatma of these pages, has a head that contains multitudes. Besides his brain, skull and mind, Dick Allen's head is rumored to contain a working ordnance
- Dick Allen and the Hall: A Visual Summary
or context. Thus, Dick Allen's -- Mister Dick Allen's -- criminal absence from Cooperstown.
The good news, however, is that Mr. Dick Allen, despite the chronic neglect, is as healthy and confident
- Why Allen Craig?
opinion, about to click. And then there's Allen Craig.
I'm sorry to those who find themselves riding shotgun on the Craig bandwagon, but I just don't get it. I know that we're not throwing a whole lot
- Is Allen Craig This Bad?
Allen Craig stunk in 2014. We all saw it. He stunk for the St. Louis Cardinals. He stunk even more for the Boston Red Sox. He stunk all season for fantasy baseball players, for whom he lost money
- Inserting Literature into Works of Dick Allen
In which the decreasingly Royal We insert various passages representative of the Western Canon into works of Dick Allen, thus adding to those various works the grandeur of perspective