- Brandon Warne's 10 Bold Predictions
- Kyle Gibson's Ceiling
, but it was reportedly an emphasis with pitching coach Neil Allen coming over from Tampa Bay.
In other words, there seems to be the possible evolution of a three-pitch mix, and with the improvement of command, could
- Brandon Warne Revisits Terrible Ten Bold Predictions 2015
- Brandon Warne's 10 Bold Predictions: Year of our Lord 2015
Neil Allen on his side, and I think Gibson has some sleeper potential. The bowling ball sinker (54.4% GB rate last year) will always be there, but health and better stuff seem to be coming down the line
- Crowdsourcing the Scoresheet Offseason
At first glance, it’ll be Gray, Richards, Sale and Darvish for sure. I like Gibson a fair amount -- I wrote about him here recently
- Monitoring Kyle Gibson Trends
of 62 percent, an opponents’ batting line of .269/.331/.375, and strikes 62.6 percent of the time.
A pitch to keep an eye on with Gibson will be the changeup. With Neil Allen coming over from Tampa
- I Traded For Allen Webster
I traded for Allen Webster and I'm not sure you should too. You see, I traded for Webster in a 20-team 28-keeper league, and he's immediately my last keeper. Even if he's the best last keeper, he's
- Is Allen Craig This Bad?
Allen Craig stunk in 2014. We all saw it. He stunk for the St. Louis Cardinals. He stunk even more for the Boston Red Sox. He stunk all season for fantasy baseball players, for whom he lost money
- The Opposite Trends of Starlin Castro and Allen Craig
Not too long ago, I observed that Allen Craig was getting pitched differently. He was getting pitched differently because he was hitting differently, in that he hasn't been hitting for pull power. So
- Allen Craig, Who Once Knew Left Field
their pitching. Let's accept that improving a team's offense is a complicated matter. Let's accept that part of the problem, but not the whole of the problem, is the struggling Allen Craig. Now
- Be Your Own Dick Allen
Dick Allen -- smoker, All-Star, activist, eternal bon vivant. If you're reading (or writing) these electronic pages, you either secretly wish that you were Dick Allen, or you publicly wish that you
- Brandon Belt Fooling Around with His Identity
We know not to read too much into statistics at the beginning of the season. As of right now, Allen Craig is hitting a line of .154/.211/.231. Sure, it's ugly -- but then it's only been 14 games
- Scoresheet Season Three: Both Leagues, BP Kings
Allen Webster (Round 24, after Jaff Decker, before Manny Parra)
Kohl Stewart (Minor League Keeper)
Marcus Stroman (Minor League Keeper)
Randall Delgado (Round 20, after Tim Beckham, before Jesse
- Brandon Warne's Ten Bold Predictions
- A New Metric of High Unimportance: SCRAP
- Allen Craig: The Wrench Or Just a Fantasy Tool?
I'm not really sure what is driving the obsession here, but count me in here for a third time discussing Cardinals 1B/OF Allen Craig. The first time I wrote about The Wrench, back in late January, I
- You Can't Handle the Plouffe
to 2013), Plouffe can only hit lefties. Consider:
v. LHP - .278/.346/.495 (.363 wOBA) | v. RHP .227/.284/.382 (.293 wOBA)
In 2013 context, he was Allen Craig versus lefties, but Zack Cozart
- On Allen Craig, the Magic Man
Allen Craig, so far, has been one of baseball's all-time best hitters with runners in scoring position. Yes, as in ever. This year, he's leading the league in batting average in that split. Last year
- Cody Allen & Brandon Barnes: Deep League Wire
read RotoGraphs every day and get the best advice on the planet.
Cody Allen | CLE RP | 4% Owned
Chris Perez hit the DL on Monday and was diagnosed with tendinitis in his right rotator cuff
- Brandon Warne's 10 Bold Predictions
- Why Allen Craig?
opinion, about to click. And then there's Allen Craig.
I'm sorry to those who find themselves riding shotgun on the Craig bandwagon, but I just don't get it. I know that we're not throwing a whole lot
- Revisiting 10 Bold Predictions
and injury-prone, and not great up the middle. Jon Jay, Allen Craig, and Lance Berkman have all missed significant time this season, and while that’s given time for guys like Matt Carpenter to emerge, it’s
- Brandon Phillips Does the Mudd Foot (GIF!)
, writing styles, and the alternatively crude/gentlepersonly/apocalyptic sensibility contained here at the site.
With all these things in mind, I would like to present Brandon Phillips doing the "Mudd
- Dick Allen Surrounded by ...
Dick Allen surrounded by ... Allen wrenches!
Allen wrenches! Although, I suppose, if one were so inclined, one could view the above adornments as peckers of a certain crudity -- "dicks
- Daric Barton Returns, Brandon Allen Free Again
Brandon Allen has been set free. With Daric Barton eligible to return from a stint on the disabled list, the Oakland Athletics designated Allen for assignment. The 26-year-old started two
- Carp, Lind, Allen, Johnson: First Base Notes
BABIP love could have his average back into the .280-ish range. Francisco probably still isn't worth a roster spot.
Brandon Allen | Athletics | Owned: 1% Yahoo! and 0.6% ESPN
- Brandon Warne's 10 Bold Predictions
- Johnny Damon's Extra Swings in 2011
- First-Year Candidates' Effect on the Rest of the HoF Ballot
- Dick Allen and the Hall: A Visual Summary
or context. Thus, Dick Allen's -- Mister Dick Allen's -- criminal absence from Cooperstown.
The good news, however, is that Mr. Dick Allen, despite the chronic neglect, is as healthy and confident
- Why Was Allen Craig Running?
cases, Allen Craig was gunned down during an Albert Pujols plate appearance. Before the face palm napalm dropped, there was a question hidden in the initial stunned silence, heard all the way up
- Dick Allen's Large and Important Head
It has been said that Dick Allen, patron Mahatma of these pages, has a head that contains multitudes. Besides his brain, skull and mind, Dick Allen's head is rumored to contain a working ordnance
- Inserting Literature into Works of Dick Allen
In which the decreasingly Royal We insert various passages representative of the Western Canon into works of Dick Allen, thus adding to those various works the grandeur of perspective
- Keeper League 'Would You Rather?' -- Brandon Allen or Paul Goldschmidt
with the hopes that an inexpensive youngster will eventually provide big time power at a bargain rate. So let's look at two of the more popular options from the youth bin...
Would you rather protect Brandon
- Allen and Bourjos: Waiver Wire
Brandon Allen (Yahoo: 3 percent owned, ESPN: 4 percent owned)
Allen’s last two games in New York seem to paint a pretty accurate picture of him as a player. Tuesday night, he crushed two home runs
- Stupid Photo Essay: The Brandon Allen Home Run
It's with that in mind that we present this, a photo essay of Brandon Allen's upper-deck home run (video) at Yankee Stadium from Tuesday night.
1. Brandon Allen faces, and makes loud contact off of, one of the few
- Brandon Allen, Strikeouts, and Definitions
Sometimes baseball analysis is similar to semantics. Define Brandon Allen one way, and he's got a bright future despite some early struggles. Define the 25-year-old first baseman from a different
- New Opportunities: Brandon Allen & Jerry Hairston Jr.
Pence; value can be found in lesser deals -- where players are given new opportunities at playing time. Two recently traded players that may fit that description are Brandon Allen and Jerry Hairston
- Oakland Uses Brad Ziegler to Free Brandon Allen
, they used Brad Ziegler to (hopefully) free Brandon Allen.
First, the Diamondbacks' perspective. As much of a head-scratcher as this trade seems to be, there is probably only one redeeming factor. Ziegler
- Brian Wilson's Two-Seamer
- Brandon Allen Freed
Brandon Allen has been a bit of a cult figure here at FanGraphs. ">As Jonah Keri wrote back in February:
Brandon Allen is entering what should be the prime years of his career. He’s got power, can
- Derek Jeter and the 3000-Hit Club
- MLB Team Travel
- How Would Realignment Affect Playoff Races?
- Jair Jurrjens: Slower Fastball, Better Results?
- James Loney's Problems at the Plate
- Diagnosing Aroldis Chapman's Wildness
- What's Wrong with Derek Jeter?
- Dick Allen Sings!
Turns out Dick Allen, your hero and mine, once cut a single with a doo-wop outfit called the Ebonistics titled, "Echoes of November." Please enjoy:
- An Entirely Different Matt Garza?
- Roy Halladay Throwing Tons of Cutters
- Dan Haren's Commanding Start
- Edwin Jackson's Great Start
- Kershaw's Hard Slider
- Brandon Allen Belongs in the Bigs
thoughts here on a regular basis, and we're pleased to welcome our own prodigal back home.
Brandon Allen has done everything a prospect can do to prove he deserves a legitimate major league opportunity
- Michael Saunders' Struggles with Outside Pitches
- Knuckleballs and Grounders
- The Fans and Marcel in 2011: Pitchers
- Free Brandon Allen!
the best possible talent on the major league stage burns strong, decades after Bill James first started the movement.
With all that established...Free Brandon Allen!
Grabbed in the 5th
- The Fans and Marcel in 2011: Position Players
- Chamberlain's Stuff as a Starter
- Carl Pavano's 2010: Trading Whiffs for Grounders
- Chris Capuano’s Strange Platoon Split
- "Does Bill James Even Like to Watch Baseball?"
many wins did they average in those seasons? Fifteen. Even pitchers who pitch well over a full season do not necessarily get near 19 wins (the lowest total was Brandon Webb's 2004 season with just
- Why Fans Do a Worse Job Projecting Their Favorite Team?
- Looking at the 2010 Fan Projections: Part 2
- Looking at the 2010 Fan Projections: Part 1
- The Dick Allen Experience
In keeping with Carson's explorations of Dick Allen, there's this:
What to say about this thing of wonder? The White Sox wore red! He's juggling! He has the facial hair of a 19th-century
- A Poem with Dick Allen's Name in It
could actually be enjoyable. These are the ones from whom I've shamelessly stolen everything.
A Poem with Dick Allen's Name in It
In this game I made up, what you do
is think of exactly ten
- Network of Baseball Players' Twitter Accounts
- Batter Pace
- Some Observations on Pace
- View Fans from World Series Games with TagOramic
- Cain's Pitch Type Usage in Game 2
- Adrian Beltre’s Fly Balls
- Jered Weaver’s High Curves
- A Pitchf/x Look at Cliff Lee's Command
- Halladay's New Changeup
- If Pittsburgh Were in Game 7 of the World Series Would You Pay $400 Million to Be There?
- Ordonez's Contact Skills
- Max Scherzer's Big Strikeout Numbers
- Tommy Hunter's High Curves
- John Ely's Changeup
- Do Better Players Have More Twitter Followers?
- Contreras's Second Arm Slot Redux
- Chris Coghlan's Glove-Finding Grounders
- Pelfrey's Splitter
- Tons of Strikeouts and Walks From Morrow
The Major League leader in strikeouts per nine among starting pitchers, with 11.9, is Brandon Morrow. He is second among starting pitchers in BB/9 with 5.9. If you put that together, and add in his
- Grady Sizemore's Plate Discipline Problems
- Gardner Is Swinging at Nothing
- Santana's Fastballs the First Time Through the Order
- Colby Lewis's Sliders
to "pimp his dawg" (or whatever youthful slang Carson would use to describe his support). And for good reason: he sits just behind Brandon Morrow on the AL K/9 leaderboard with 10.47, and, although he has
- Anderson Used to Shift His Position on the Mound
- Sheets Shifting on the Rubber
- Two Phillies Add Cutters
- June Comes Early for Jeff Francoeur
- Can Heyward Lay Off Breaking Balls in the Dirt?
- Yesterday's Dancing Knuckleball
- Hochevar Throwing Gas
- Braden Really Changes It Up
- Optimizing Yesterday's Lineups
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Boston
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Minnesota
- Comparing CHONE and FANS projections
- What Will the Yankees Do with Joba?
- Cincinnati's Fly-Ball Rotation
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent -- Detroit
Cabrera, which is not a ringing endorsement. Joining Damon on the wrong side of thirty in the Tigers' starting lineup are Gerald Laird, Brandon Inge, Adam Everett, Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Guillen
- What to Do with Andy Sonnanstine?
- Elijah Dukes Released
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Houston
pitcher. The bullpen, led by Brandon Lyon and Matt Lindstrom, and bench are poor.
This is a team with just very little talent. The team lacks a top-tier superstar, has few solidly above average
- A Last Look at First-Pitch Aggressiveness
- Are Hitters More Aggressive on First Pitches from Good Pitchers?
- Chipper's First-Pitch Aggressiveness by Pitcher xFIP
- Chipper, First Pitches and Saber-minded Reporting
- Edwin Jackson's HR Prevention Against LHBs
- Edwin Jackson's Increased Slider Use
- David Ortiz's Power Decline
- David Ortiz's Plate Discipline Decline
- Wakefield's Curious Platoon Split
- Trying to Explain Vicente Padilla's Platoon Split
- Joey Votto's Opposite-Field Power and Amazing Fly-Ball BABIP
- Aaron Hill Follow-up
- You Call That a Spray-Chart Split?
- Mauer's Performance by Pitch Location
- The Fans' Playing Time Projections
- Angels Sign Pineiro
Aybar and Brandon Wood. The right side of the infield should be good: both Jeff Zimmerman's UZR projections and Sean Smith's CHONE defensive projections have the pair at +5 runs together. But the two
- Jeter's Seven-Win Season
- A's Re-sign Jack Cust
- A Look at Kotchman's Balls in Play
- A Small Randy Johnson Retrospective
- Roy Halladay
- Atkins Non-Tendered
- The Red Sox Acquire Boof
will be cheap and under team control for a number of years (he has three years of service time), and could be as good as Brandon Lyon out of the pen.
Bonser has a FIP of 4.60, compared to Lyon's
- Curtis Granderson Hitting in the Bronx
- The Brewers Sign a Great Pitch Blocker
- Joe Mauer and Fastballs
- How Much Power Will Mauer Keep?
- Pitch Data and Projections
- Greinke's Slider
- Free Agent Joel Pineiro
- David Wright's Power Outage Part 2
- Free Agent Marco Scutaro
- Wakefield Signs a Two-Year Deal
- Hoffman's Fastball and HR Prevention
- WS Coverage: Mariano Rivera
- WS Coverage: Pedro's Fastballs
- Cliff Lee's Playoff Dominance
- Ryan Howard Against LHPs
- Pettitte's Fastballs
- Adrian Beltre's Bat Away From Safeco
- Padilla's Fastballs
- Rollins' Horrid BABIP
- Previewing Weaver at Yankee Stadium
- ALDS Coverage: Twins' Run Ends
- ALDS Coverage: Twins Offense in Game 1
- ALDS Preview: Minnesota Twins
- Brewers Sign Hoffman to 2010 Deal
- Lind Finishing Up with a Bang
- Atlanta Streaks into Wild Card Contention
- Playoff (Effectively) Baseball Tonight in Detroit
- Another Blown Save From Lidge
- Cahill's Tough Year
- Blackburn's Fastball Doesn't Miss Many Bats
- Oakland's Excellent Young Closer
- Bumgarner's Major League Debut
- Lilly's Fly Balls
- Jon Lester's Soaring Strikeout Numbers
- Porcello's Inning Count
- Feliz Shows no Signs of Slowing Down
- Contreras's Arm Slots
- The Best Pitcher with a Bad Fastball
- August's Best Hitter
- The High Heat from Aardsma
- Phil Hughes as Shutdown Reliever
- Allen Brings the Power Back
, and Tony Clark.
The organization will now give rookie Brandon Allen a shot at the job. The big, sturdy prospect was acquired from the Chicago White Sox back on July 7. The American League club
- Ichiro and Infield Hits
- Cliff Lee Finds the NL to His Liking
- Mile High Pitching
- Liriano's Fastball
- Wuertz Strikes Out the Side
- Yankees' Pen Clamps Down
- Chris Carpenter is Back
- Where are David Price's Grounders?
- Chris B. Young Optioned to AAA
- Johnson Leads Florida's Rotation
- Making it Work with Lots of Whiffs
- A Rare Bright Spot for the A's
- The Twins Acquire Orlando Cabrera
- Halladay's Stuff
- Three Lefty Playoff Rotation
- 45 up, 45 down
- Brian Bannister Looks at His PITCHf/x Numbers
- Harden's Huge Whiff Rate
- Revisiting Preseason Outfield Defense Expectations
- Adventures in Extreme Plate Discipline
- Lincecum's Great Changeup
- PITCHf/x Summit Recap
- A Two-Win, a One-Win and a Half-Win Fastball
- Lots of Groundballs from Affeldt
- Jack Cust's New Approach at the Plate
- A Little Help From His Friends
- The Tony Pena-Brandon Allen Trade
of the season. I can imagine that may change a tad due to the switch in leagues, but as far as ballparks he's moving from one rough neighborhood to another.
The price for Pena is Brandon Allen. The 23
- Chris Davis Had a Hard Time Making Contact
- Jamie Moyer is Throwing a Ton of Fastballs
- Where are Ryan Howard's HRs going?
- Two Very Different Cutters
- Another Look at HRs at the New Yankee Stadium
- Wakefield's Fastball Redux
- HITf/x Contrast of HR and non-HR Hitters
- One Win Curveballs
- Quick, Who is Leading the AL in OPS?
- Is Ortiz Powering Back Up?
- Pitch Type Linear Weights Explained