- Walk Up, Walk Tall
to a running start.
"Stranger in Paradise" (Ray Conniff)
"Texas Flood" (Stevie Ray Vaughan)
"Mess Around" (Ray Charles)
"Still in the Groove" (Ray Parker Jr.)
"Ain't Your Dog
- Daily Notes: How Well Did Pitching Coaches Pitch as Players?
- Is Chase Headley's Breakout Sustainable?
players have experienced this type of breakout before, but few have improved as much as Headley.
Age 24-27 wOBA
Age 28 wOBA
- Smokin' Bud Selig
He is not Smokin' Jay Cutler. He is not even Smokin' Obama. He is, however, frumpy, disheveled and vaguely anguished at all times. He wears a suit, but he also sleeps in that suit. He smells like
- FanGraphs Sans Labels
. The collective hope of Toronto Blue Jays fans (Y) / time (X)
2. The win expectancy of Charles d'Albret in facing the British at Agincourt / time
3. The amount of sense in a Peter Gammons tweet
- Omar Vizquel Gets His Recognition
[caption id="attachment_37646" align="alignnone" width="220"] Charles Ives, left, was a pitcher on his high school team.[/caption]
If you are one who is knowledgeable of classical music, you have
- Prospect Reports: Vancouver Canadians (Blue Jays)
command I can see the potential for a back-end starter or middle reliever at the big league level.
Art Charles, 1B: A hulking slugger, Charles was a two-way player (pitcher and hitter) in both high
- Rejected Offers For Kevin Youkilis (AL)
Indians: Charles Nagy.
Tigers: Souvenir t-shirt and foam finger autographed by Justin Verlander's niece.
Royals: Danny Duffy, Felipe Paulino, Joakim Soria, Blake Wood, and jar of elbow
- Three Baseball References in Dave Berman's Actual Air
be -- some combination of Charles Simic's The World Doesn't End and Kenneth Koch's entire oeuvre did that.
Indeed, I was rather skeptical of Berman's book when I first saw it -- on account of he
- Moyer's Age, Youk's Shirt: Dotes for March 27
was a contemporary. Here's a short list of people who Moyer is older than:
- Appoggiatura in Baseball
"Happiness is a sad song." -Charles M. Schultz
Major League Baseball tried out "open mics" during yesterday's Indians-Diamondbacks spring game, and with it, the beautiful and gentle beast
- In Which a Line from Baudelaire Reminds the Author of Dave Cameron
A line -- a beautiful line -- from Charles Baudelaire:
See on these canals those sleeping boats whose mood is vagabond; it’s to satisfy your least desire that they come from the world’s end
- The Other Use for the Internet Besides Pornography
respective vocations and become the people we're meant to be.
Does that idea sound Emersonian to you? Shut up, it is.
Writing on education, Ralph Waldo Emerson recounts the anecdote of Sir Charles
- Omar Infante Falls Victim to "The Curse of Old Hoss"
expert on the supernatural) I believe that Omar Infante is yet another player to fall victim to the infamous "Curse of Old Hoss."
You may know Charles Gardner "Old Hoss" Radbourn
- Fans: The Final Frontier
were published. Charles Francis Badini created the Original Fanology or Ladies' Conversation Fan which was published by William Cock in London in 1797. The use of the fan was not limited to women
- Maybin, Panda Express Fail to Reach Detente
, please be skeptical. Is it the new Charles Atlas workout that left him lean and angular, or is it the case of Montezuma's Revenge perpetrated upon him by his employer?
- Brian Cashman, Rendered Comic-Stripally
I've often referred to Lookout Landing's Jeff Sullivan as the Charles Schulz of his generation. Except angrier. And drunker. And less talented.
I've never had a reason for doing any of that until
- Video: Willie Mays on What's My Line? (1954)
Three things you'll note:
• Mays speaks in tiny little mouse voice.
• Host John Charles Daly speaks with a Trans-Atlantic accent.
• Arlene Francis (the panelist who identifies Mays) isn't
- Care About the Australian League for a Second!
necessarily the guy to ask about that; however, the league features former and current Major and Minor Leaguers, so it's not, as Charles Barkley would probably say, completely "turrible."
- True Facts: Baseball's Winter Meetings
: Dissatisfied with the merely symbolic shackles imparted by Baseball's reserve clause, notoriously stingy White Sox owner Charles Comiskey places actual shackles on star players Eddie Cicotte and Joe Jackson
- FanGraphs Audio: Big Podcast Package Deal
In which the segments are all multiple-like.
Segment #1: Live from the Winter Meetings in Orlando
Segment #2: Live from the Banks of the River Charles
- Bill James and the Cock-Lebur
such capsule is for Charles Hudson, and it looks almost entirely like this:
Ouch. I detest pitchers like this. Hudson is one of those guys who looks great -- five times a year
- The Old Curmudgeons Are Right: Baseball Nicknames Useta Be Way Better
of Casey Stengel (born Charles, nicknamed "Casey" and "The Old Perfessor"), and I was struck by just how weird yet pervasive and evocative the nicknames used to be. The following passage about
- Are Huff and Talbot Rosterable?
and Charles Nagy did it way back in September of 1996. Sure enough, the day after Huff's two run, two hour gem someone had grabbed him out of the free agent pool in my league, but is he worth a roster
- St. Louis Cardinals: Draft Review
all year, so his value is tied solely to his ability to hit for average. He's still just 20 years old, though. Scott Gorgen (4th round) is another pitcher to keep an eye on, and catcher Charles Cutler
- Being Frank About Frank
was in his first season with the Oakland Athletics on a contract suitable more for Charles Thomas than Frank. Not only did Thomas out earn his contract by 12 million, but he also earned himself