- Projecting the Prospects in the Adam Eaton Trade
- Projecting the Prospects in the Chris Sale Trade
The Red Sox acquired a second pitcher on Tuesday following their trade for reliever Tyler Thornburg -- in this case, receiving talented left-handed starter Chris Sale from the White Sox in exchange
- Matt Carpenter's Long Con, and the Big Reveal
Matt Carpenter did something special last night, on the final day of baseball's 2016 regular season. I'll get the anticlimactic part of this all out of the way right now: it didn't matter. Of course
- Matt Carpenter: Hard Contact Extraordinaire
loyalties, it's often difficult for me to say positive things about the baseball club from St. Louis, Missouri. But what Matt Carpenter has accomplished to this point in the season has become
- The Good Outweighs the Bad with Pittsburgh's Tyler Glasnow
there for fun.
Tyler Glasnow's Mahalanobis Comps
- Projecting Nationals Right-Hander Lucas Giolito
interesting names that sometimes feel spot-on, but they're mostly just there for fun.
Lucas Giolito's Mahalanobis Comps
- Matt Carpenter Is Going Full Jose Bautista
As you might remember from last year, Matt Carpenter turned himself into a different kind of hitter. He'd already been wonderfully productive, but last year, he seemingly made the decision
- The Area Where Khris Davis Became Chris Davis
Chris Davis earned a seven-year, $161 million contract with the Orioles this offseason. Khris Davis was traded to the A's for a couple low-minors prospects. Chris Davis is a lefty, and plays first
- KATOH Projects: Pittsburgh Pirates Prospects
the right adjustments.
Tyler Glasnow's Mahalanobis Comps
- Projecting the Prospects in the Aroldis Chapman Trade
KATOH Projection Through Age 28 (2015 stats): 2.0 WAR
KATOH Projection Through Age 28 (2014 stats): 0.2 WAR
Renda came to the Yankees from the Nationals in exchange for David Carpenter
- Matt Carpenter Builds Power
Matt Carpenter has always been a strange roto player. Historically, he's one of those guys who is better in real life than fantasy. He often contributed over 700 plate appearances with a chance
- JABO: The Transformation of Matt Carpenter
Over the last few years, Matt Carpenter developed into one of the game's most underrated stars by exceeding at the skill set embodied by the likes of Mark Grace and Joe Mauer over the last few
- Matt Carpenter's Passive-Aggressive Approach Paying Off
Two weeks into the season, a narrative developed around Matt Carpenter and his aggressive behavior at the plate. In 2013, Carpenter had a breakout season, hitting 55 doubles on his way to a seven-win
- Matt Carpenter, Even Selective When He Chases
Matt Carpenter never swings. People with dictionaries might take objection to the use of the word "never" in that context, but relative to his peers, Carpenter essentially doesn’t remove the bat from
- Chris Archer Conquers Lefties
Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Chris Archer lived up to expectations in 2014. While Archer's performance during his rookie season was strong, there were still some questions about his ability moving forward
- Another Year of Yordano Ventura
- Sunday Notes: Brewers, Raines, Carpenter, Castro, Cuba, Reds, much more
According to PITCHf/x, Gray threw 8.3% sliders and 6.9% changeups this year.
Chris Carpenter was a good pitcher for many years. The tall righthander won 144 games from 1997-2012
- How Matt Carpenter Destroyed the Dodgers
MVP and Cy Young winner. But if you’re looking for the true catalyst of the Dodgers’ demise and the author of a short series win, look no further than Matt Carpenter.
The Cardinals’ third baseman
- I'm Still an Idiot: 10 Bold Predictions Revisited
prospects like Allen Craig, Jon Jay, Matt Carpenter and Matt Adams. The idea was that they would do the same with Wong, and he would exceed his fantasy value. History did not repeat itself here. Wong
- Nick Castellanos is Channeling Chris Johnson
- No Longer in Love With Matt Carpenter
It is hard not to at least like a player with a 112 wRC+ and that is dual eligible at second and third base, but I am starting to fall less in love with Matt Carpenter as a fantasy player.
- Jason Kipnis or Matt Carpenter: A Preference Test
A few weeks ago, the Cardinals signed Matt Carpenter to a six year, $52 million contract. Today, the Indians have signed Jason Kipnis to a six year, $52.5 million contract. Both players were four
- Scheming For Relief: Harris, Ottavino and Carpenter
-inning gig and earn a bulk of holds in the desert this season.
David Carpenter | Braves | 4%
Carpenter is coming off of a stellar 2013 campaign thanks in part to an increase in strikeout rate
- Chris Cwik's Bold Predictions for 2014
production from them. Recently, the team has made use of Jon Jay, Allen Craig, Matt Carpenter, David Freese and Matt Adams. None of those players ever made a BA prospect list, so it can be argued Wong
- Matt Carpenter and a Most Amazing Strike
Carpenter came up with two down, and he worked the count full. In that full count, Jon Lester threw a cutter inside. Carpenter started to first, assuming he'd drawn a two-out walk. Bill Miller, however
- Matt Carpenter, Surprise Fantasy MVP
Raise your hand if you expected Matt Carpenter to lead all of baseball with 126 runs scored (and not just lead, but trounce the next highest total by 17!) and tie for the lead in total hits recorded
- 2013 Fantasy Baseball MVP: Chris Davis
the gift of hindsight prior to the season.
Chris Davis wasn't the only player drafted in the lower rounds to have a tremendous season. Guys like Matt Carpenter, Jose Fernandez, Alfonso Soriano
- Chris Sale: More Than Just a Slider
Chris Sale was far from a polished pitcher by the time he was drafted by the White Sox. Armed with two above-average pitches, some analysts believed he was bound for the bullpen. But in his brief
- Matt Carpenter, Steady Lightning Rod
Coming into the season, I thought Matt Carpenter was a decent sleeper in deep leagues. In the Skip Schumaker mold, he might play a decent enough second base to make an empty batting average work. I
- Anthony Rendon & Taylor Jordan: Waiver Wire
doubles. He's already earned a spot at the top of the team's lineup, and could post some Matt Carpenter-lite numbers moving forward if the power doesn't develop this year. Injuries are the only major
- Matt Carpenter, Developing Star
round pick? Matt Carpenter. He was a senior sign out of Texas Christian University, a budget pick who only cost them a $1,000 signing bonus. After signing, the Cardinals had him split time between
- Paying Attention To Matt Carpenter
, especially given the three currently lead qualified second basemen across the league in wOBA. They're three ducks in a row atop the stat sheets.
And fourth in wOBA is ... Matt Carpenter?
- Chris Archer & Danny Hultzen: Waiver Wire
to consider adding Chris Archer and Danny Hultzen.
Tampa Bay Rays
Owners should know
- Chris Cwik's 10 Bold Predictions For the 2013 Fantasy Season
- Cardinals Rotation: Depth Chart Discussions
. There was some thought that Lynn would wind up back in the bullpen based on the Cardinals' young pitching talent, but Chris Carpenter's injury all but assures Lynn will reprise his role as a starter. As Jim
- Chris Carpenter Hurt and Probably Finished
that the news conference would have to do with Chris Carpenter's future, and many began to expect a retirement announcement. Carpenter has not retired, but retirement doesn't appear to be far off
- Chris Tillman: Sleeper
Chris Tillman is going to be a very popular pick at the end of most drafts this season. Every year, there are a couple of guys that get touted all offseason, causing other owners to make a fuss when
- Beltran versus Carpenter versus Pitchers
of a difference, it does make a difference. Given the stakes, teams obviously need to have all hands on deck. Matt Carpenter has done a nice job filling in for Carlos Beltran since the latter tweaked his
- Chris Carpenter: Too Diminished to Start?
Chris Carpenter did not have a good game on Monday. He only struck out one batter in four innings, and though he only allowed two earned runs in his four innings, he did surrender eight baserunners
- Chris Carpenter: 2012 Debut
Chris Carpenter debuted on Friday night. He came away with decent results, 5 IP, 2 Runs allowed, 0 HR. Chris is usually a fantasy workhorse, but shoulder surgery has all but eliminated his 2012
- Carpenter and Hammel: Pitchers on the Mend
Chris Carpenter – Carpenter has begun throwing a few pitches to see if he can possibly make a start before the end of the season. He has a small chance of returning after being out for the entire
- Deep League Waiver Wire: Carpenter, Pollock, and Nieuwenhuis
on our fantasy baseball squad. Enter Matt Carpenter, A.J. Pollock, and Kirk Nieuwenhuis.
All three are either short-term or speculative grabs at the moment, but it wouldn't take a whole lot
- Carpenter Hooked by Bulging Disc
Chris Carpenter has been shut down with a bulging disc in his neck. He's likely to open up the season on the disabled list, and the Cardinals may have to turn to Lance Lynn for help in the starting
- Chris Cwik RotoGraphs Chat
- Roy Halladay, Chris Carpenter, and B.J. Ryan Go To The Amazon...
... for a fishing trip.
Roy Halladay and Chris Carpenter help a local fisherman who was bitten on the ass by an anaconda. They are celebrated as heroes. (In case you were wondering: anacondas
- Chris Cwik SuperChat - 12/22/11
Chris Cwik SuperChat
- Chris Cwik Winter Meetings Chat
Chris Cwik FanGraphs Chat
- Carpenter's Pitch Selection
Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci chronicled Chris Carpenter’s transformation this season in an article published during St. Louis' World Series run. In it, the Cardinals’ ace credited pitching coach
- Game 7 Preview: Chris Carpenter vs. Matt Harrison
Chris Carpenter is starting tonight on only three days rest, while Matt Harrison hopes to do better than the shellacking he took in Game Four. Both pitchers will need to change up how they're
- Gammons and Carpenter Share a Moment
- Harrison Over Holland?
to throw Chris Carpenter, will Washington try and go with his higher upside starter? If the Cardinals elect to throw Kyle Lohse, will Washington be more comfortable knowing Holland can enter the game
- Mr. Carpenter's Potty Mouth: A Vocal Interpretation
Chris Carpenter, who cusses at everyone all the time more than you've cussed at anyone anytime, was at it again last night. His most recent victim? Besides pearl-clutching lip readers everywhere
- Game Preview: Chris Carpenter vs. C.J. Wilson
Chris Carpenter and C.J. Wilson face off tonight in Game 5 of the World Series, in a rematch of Game 1. How did each pitcher attack the other during their first start? Should they try anything
- NLCS Scouting: Gallardo vs. Carpenter
Just look at that lovely mug.
Tonight's NCLS matchup, pending the game isn't rained out: Yovani Gallardo vs. Chris Carpenter.
I've already previewed Gallardo once
- States of Undress: Reyes and Carpenter
a nude Jose Reyes and a Chris Carpenter freshly pruned of his base-and-ball chemise!
Know that these espousals were as hollow and empty as hollow and empty things:
That, of course, is Jose
- How Much Did Carpenter Leave on the Table?
Chris Carpenter signed a two-year $21-million extension with the Cardinals this week. That sounds better until you realize that the team already had an option on Carpenter worth $15 million. Somehow
- Chris Cwik: RotoGraphs Chat
- Chris Cwik FanGraphs Chat - 8/17/11
Chris Cwik FanGraphs Chat
- Did The Cardinals Overwork Chris Carpenter?
keep coming for the St. Louis Cardinals, as Chris Carpenter left the mound with the team trainer after throwing 32 pitches today. Following the loss of Adam Wainwright and the devastating blow of Nick
- The Chris Sale Conundrum
as both Bronson Arroyo and Chris Narveson. Even if Sale manages a season like Feliz's, he may produce the same value as a league average starter.
Although Sale has experience as a starter
- Chris Carpenter is Back
be a good time to mention it.
Chris Carpenter effectively lost the last two years to injury, so coming into this year it was a question if he could stay healthy, and, if so, how effective he would
- Can Cards Build New Closer with Carpenter?
According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa is considering the option of using rehabbing starter Chris Carpenter as the club's closer for 2009. With former closer Jason
- Daily Graphing - Chris Carpenter
Today my faith in the Baseball Writers' Association of America was restored after they voted to give Chris Carpenter his first Cy Young award. Despite Dontrelle Willis' MLB high 22 wins