- Chad Young's 10 Bold Predictions
. Chris Tillman will prove to be a draft day steal (but not in most ottoneu leagues)
You can call him the Matt Dominguez of pitchers, if you want. Check out the second half: 3.42 ERA, more than 8.5 K/9
- Chad Young's Ten Bold Predictions
, as well.
10. Pedro Alvarez leads the AL in HR. Going out with a bang! His new teammate, Chris Davis, paced the AL with 47 last year and is projected (based on depth charts) to do the same
- Chad Young's Ten Bold Predictions for 2013
of the season.
6) Chris Tillman will be a top-20 AL SP. His velocity faded last year, his ERA was far healthier than his peripherals would suggest it should have been, and he had some elbow soreness
- Chad Young's Ten Bold Predictions Revisited
- Salazar was the #3 Indians SP in fantasy. 1-2.
4. Chris Tillman will prove to be a draft day steal (but not in most ottoneu leagues). Like Dominguez, I saw a solid second half and hoped for good things
- Chad Young's Ten Bold 2015 Predictions
Alright, I am bored. So, yeah if you drafted
- Is There Room for Chris Young?
. This is the season of minor-league contracts, as the pool of available free agents has been reduced to a puddle on an otherwise dry concrete foundation. But of those names still out there, Chris Young has
- Chris "K" Young
I talked briefly about Chris Young last night, but I wanted to cover him in more depth this morning. He’s an odd case. His peripheral numbers are essentially equal to B.J. Upton – 11% walks, 29
- Chris Young and Dropping the Fastball
a look at that for 2014, inspired by something I've noticed about Chris Young. I've had a note to write about this for a week or two. I guess now I've waited long enough.
The idea: We're going
- Chris Young's Fatal Flaw
keeping Fowler out of the line-up.
However, this post isn't about Fowler. This post is about Chris Young. The tall pitching one, not the hack-at-everything center field version. See, Young
- Daily Graphing - Chris Young
In what was a surprise move to me, the Rangers sent Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez, and Terrmel Sledge to the Padres for Adam Eaton, Akinori Otsuka, and a minor leaguer. In Chris Young's first full
- Chris Young Against the Core
. So there's some discomfort there, some uncertainty, and now in a short while the Royals are going to throw Chris Young at the best offense in the league in the center of a homer-happy ballpark
- Chris Young the Outfielder
the problems that lineup would normally entail.
With that strategy in mind, is Chris Young a viable option in 2010? If Bill James is to be believed, Youngs' power and speed could return and answer
- Chris Young: Is It Real, Or Is It Safeco?
the vagaries of context. This just in, though - FIP is far from perfect itself. Case in point - Chris Young, the NBA-sized righty now plying his trade for the Seattle Mariners, currently possesses
- Chris Young the Athletic
No, I'm not alluding to Alexander the Great or commenting on Chris Young's agility, which I'm sure he possesses boatloads of. Back on October 20, Young came to the Beane, as he was traded to Oakland
- Chris Young Challenges the Data
"You should go look at the research again and see what the charts say," Chris Young, the Seattle Mariners pitcher, emphatically told me one afternoon this season. We were talking about high fastballs
- Handling Young Pitchers
to pitching, argues against current pitch count restrictions and explains how to handle young pitchers. In this piece, we are going to focus on young pitcher workloads. With more prospects reaching
- The Chris Sale Conundrum
In recent seasons, teams have come up with inventive ways to utilize their young pitching prospects. One of the more popular strategies among teams is to let their prospects gain experience
- Delmon Young: Buy Low Candidate
He entered the season as a popular regression candidate, got off to a terrible start and is currently on the Disabled List, but all of those things make Delmon Young a strong buy low candidate
- Padres Decline Chris Young's Option
Jim Jones released an album in 2006 named Product of My Environment. The most popular song off POME goes by the name “We Fly High”. The album and song name fit Chris Young’s career well
- Examining the Young Zack Wheeler Replacements
News broke on Monday that Zack Wheeler had a tear in his UCL, and would need to undergo Tommy John Surgery. This sucks. It sucks every time we lose an exciting, young arm to injury, and this case
- Chris Young: The Hometown Babe Ruth
If you’re a Yankees fan, you probably know that Chris Young (the hitter) has been on a bit of a tear lately, forcing himself into the starting lineup on a daily basis. If you’re a general baseball
- Chris B. Young's Contact Woes
To be honest, I had figured that Diamondbacks centerfielder Chris B. Young would be entrenched as a star-caliber player by this point in his career. A 6-2, 200 pounder with a unique blend of patience
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Chris Young
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: Chris Young.
- Chris Young Is Not A Minor League Pitcher
A victim of what amounts to one of the deeper stables of starting pitching, Chris Young opted out of his contract with the Washington Nationals with the hopes that he could find a major league role
- Three Reasons To Believe in Chris Young
This added caution sometimes causes us to dismiss players before they've run their course. A prime example of this is Chris Young, the No. 23 prospect in baseball for the 2006 season. He has played
- Mets Land Bargain in Chris Young
. On that list was Chris Young -- the outfield version -- who the crowd forecast for $7 million per year over two years. Today, the Mets have signed for him $7 million for a single year, and I continue
- Chris B. Young Optioned to AAA
Chirs Young came into this season with big expectations. In 2008 he had a league average bat and played average defense in center field, all at the age of 24. That kind of performance, at a premium
- Roberto Osuna and the Aging Curve for Young Relievers
Way back in April, the Blue Jays turned some heads when they filled out their bullpen with a couple of 20-year-old A-Ballers: Miguel Castro and Roberto Osuna. Few doubted that these young arms had
- Red Sox Sign Chris Young the Shorter
According to Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox have added to their outfield depth today.
Sources: #RedSox in agreement with free-agent outfielder Chris Young on a multi-year contract, pending a physical
- Chris B. Young Limiting the Pop Ups
Last season, Chris Young's big league career reached its nadir. A former White Sox prospect swapped to Arizona as part of the December 2005 Javier Vazquez deal, Young was an acclaimed prospect who
- Chris Young is Doing the BABIP Thing Again
In the offseason after winning the 2014 award for American League Comeback Player of the year, Chris Young -- that's the exceptionally lanky pitcher Chris Young, not the merely lanky hitter Chris
- FG+ Over/Under Game: Chris Young
For our fifth (and final) over/under game, let's take a look at Chris Young the outfielder.
The over/under for today's game is 21. As in, will Chris Young hit more than 21 home runs
- Athletics Stockpile Another Asset in Chris Young
Crisp on hand. Saturday, Beane added another outfielder to the mix, acquiring Chris Young from Arizona in exchange for Cliff Pennington and infield prospect Yordy Cabrera.
The situations aren't
- GIF: The Mysterious Mystery of Chris Young's Fastball
outliers is the very tall and Princeton-educated Chris Young's four-seamer, which has featured a rising movement in the 12-14 inch range throughout his career -- this, compared to a league-wide average
- Finding High Ball Hitters with Chris Young
Recently, I pointed out to Chris Young that he may have been right about how the league was going. Jeff Sullivan found that contact rates on pitches high in the zone are down. David Appelman helped
- Chris Young Trades Petco For Citi Field
/reward signings and hope for the best. One of those signing came in the form of Chris Young, formerly of the Alderson-led San Diego Padres.
The 6’10” right-hander made 97 starts for San Diego from
- A.J. Pollock Benefits from Chris Young Injury
The Arizona Diamondbacks have gone fishing for a replacement for injured outfielder Chris Young. The organization purchased the contract of prospect A.J. Pollock from triple-A.
Prior to the 2012
- Aaron Harang on Pitching (Like Chris Young)
leagues – with the Philadelphia Phillies. A hulking 6-foot-7, Harang has 128 career wins and a pitching style similar to that of Chris Young.
Harang's four-seamer averaged 89 mph this year
- Chris Young & Eric Campbell: Deep League Wire
. As a note, most of the players discussed in this column are better suited for mono leagues, and the ownership percentages come from CBS.
Chris Young / OF / New York Yankees / 10%
On a team whose
- Chris Young on Working Up (and Down) in the Zone
Chris Young, of the Kansas City Royals, is known for both his Princeton pedigree and his height. The 6-foot-10 right-hander is also known for getting outs up in the zone, with a slow fastball
- ottoneu Arbitration Update
(those teams are all mine, actually, and I can explain why I did that).
Let's start with a table:
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): 3B Edition
The other three ottoneu loves with fantasy relevance are Daniel Murphy, Chris Johnson, and David Freese. The first two jumped four spots each (from 20 to 16 and 22 to 18, respectively), while Freese
- Our Most Common Bold Predictions
in some formats. Hunter Strickland got three nods, noting him as at least having a shot at closing, up to being a top 7 NL closer with 20+ Saves.
The other six who got three nods are young players we
- Zambrano and Volstad Swap Homes
The Cubs shipped off a pitcher yesterday, but it wasn't Matt Garza. Instead, the sent Carlos Zambrano to Miami in exchange for Chris Volstad. Neither player provided much fantasy value in 2011
- ottoneu Arbitration: Who's Getting Hit?
FanGraphs Staff League 2
Thanks to the tie among players in the Experts league, that is 12 players across
- Going for Broke While Saving for the Future in ottoneu
still cost less than $20 in 2016.
In early July, I made two deals within a week, adding Chris Davis and Jose Abreu. Davis hadn't fully heated up yet, so he only cost me Aaron Judge. He was also
- Arb Hurts: What I'm Learning from the Allocations to my ottoneu teams
HitsPlayerCurrent SalaryAllocationsProjected SalaryNolan Arenado$13 $7 $20 Mookie Betts$10 $4 $14 Chris Sale$27 $4 $31 Corey Kluber$22 $2 $24 Anthony Rizzo$24 $2 $26 Rougned Odor$5 $1 $6
I smile less
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): OF Edition
- Handling a Timid Auction
at playing time questions. I needed depth in MI so I grabbed both Scooter Gennett and Rickie Weeks, along with Chris Owings. I needed OF help, so Corey Dickerson found a spot on my roster.
- Balancing Future and Present at the Deadline
Kimbrel, Adam Wainwright) he and I have repeatedly debated the merits of those stars and my young up-and-comers.
So far, we have yet to find a match. Part of this was Brad's attempt to neuter my 2015
- Dollar-for-Dollar All-Stars
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): 1B Edition
Freeman, Allen Craig, Mark Trumbo, Chris Davis), none had a higher OBP than Swisher. Similarly, Joe Mauer's low power output may have hampered his 5x5 ranking (12th), but he became a nearly first
- Themed Teams - Some Semi-Off-Topic Fun
are limited. You can add A.J. Pollock to the list. Anthony Bass. You can stretch for Matt CARPenter. Chris BASSitt. It would not be a good team, and you would have a lot of empty roster spots.
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): 2B Edition
, but wasn't really rosterable in ottoneu.
- Pro-rating players to 650 PA gave Allen Craig a boost from 8th to 3rd and turned Michael Cuddyer, Chase Utley and Chris Nelson into studs ranked 5th, 6th
- ottoneu Cut Day Fallout
tied for being kept by the most owners, a list dominated by young stars and breakout performers:
- ottoneu Pitcher Rankings with Bill James Projections
- Six Guys for Six Days
) and that means he could easily steal a base or two and hit a HR or two over the last few days.
Chris Carter (0%) – Sure, the guy strikes out about half the time he gets to the plate. And, no, he does not have
- Ageism in Fantasy Baseball and How it Can Work for You
him - Carlos Santana, Mike Napoli, Brian McCann, Buster Posey, Joe Mauer, Matt Wieters, Alex Avila, J.P. Arencibia, Chris Iannetta, and Miguel Montero. Last year, Martinez was the second most valuable
- ottoneu Auction Analysis Contest
the arbitration process, so teams held $5 coupons on them, while Tim Lincecum, Josh Johnson, Chris Carpenter, and Latos were the only four true free agents), prices for SP were sky-high. Kershaw
- ottoneu Watchlist Wonders
call them Watchlist Wonders -- guys who are worth adding to your ottoneu watchlist and, depending on your team needs, worth starting an auction for.
Chris Nelson, 2B/3B/SS, Colorado - Nelson
- Chris Young Next to Regular-Sized People: Jason Bay
Here's an image -- following Jason Bay's first-inning grand slam during last night's Mets-Marlins game -- an image of right-handed pitcher Chris Young next to the aforementioned Bay, a regular-sized
- Players Who are Helping You Win
and total points accrued this year (the standings are drawn across all ottoneu leagues).
- Roto Comeback Hitter Award
bat, to top 200 bat, to top 75 bat. With that in mind, my pick: Chris Davis.
In 2013, Crush burst onto the scene, smashing 53 HR and posting a .286/.370/.684 (.684!) line. He broke the 100 R
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Late Season Pick Ups
against Houston, and there is no reason to think he can't provide a solid line to help you with the race to the finish.
Chris Nelson - Nelson has been written up numerous times, and there is always
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Cody Allen and John Lackey
against weaker competition (his last start notwithstanding).
Allen has emerged as a popular pick up following the injury to Cleveland closer Chris Perez, and gained some steam thanks Colin
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Catcher Edition
Among a slew of pitchers, there are three catchers whose names appear on the list of most auctioned players in the ottoneu world: Jason Castro, Chris Iannetta and Yan Gomes.
Catcher has been
- An ottoneu View of End of Season Ranks
Earlier this week, Zach Sanders shared end of year fantasy rankings, providing a position-adjusted view of who provided the most (Chris Davis) and least (Barry Zito) value among qualified players
- ottoneu Vote Off Results
. As we discussed on Twitter last night, the player voted off most often was none other than Chris Davis. When you consider where we started this piece (voting off players with the largest gap between
- Walk Down Memory Lane - 2006 ottoneu Rosters
was a $48 Johan Santana, the ace of the league champion team, Negative EV - owned by the man behind ottoneu, Niv Shah. He also had a $47 David Ortiz, $34 Manny Ramirez, $31 Travis Hafner, $30 Chris Carpenter
- What to Make of Julio Teheran
21.4% HR/FB rate. Last year, only six batters had a HR/FB rate over 20%. Basically, Teheran is making literally everyone look like they have Chris Carter's power. That is...uh...not good.
- Bold Predictions Revisited: Quest for an 0-fer
of the 15 better is Buster Posey; another is Todd Frazier; a third is Chris Davis. None of those guys were being used at 1B due to other eligibility. So really he was...13th. And he got hurt and lost
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): SP Edition
- Thinking '13: Three ottoneu Trades Focused on the Future
in the league in 2011 - they finished in 8th, but even in 2012, much of the talent on the Gerbils roster will be either just coming into its own (Matt Moore, Chris Sale, Lonnie Chisenhall, etc
- Pitching Scoring Change in ottoneu Points Leagues
- Three Deals and a (Very Expensive) Keeper
) gives up: Michael Wacha ($3), Yasiel Puig ($4), and Dan Vogelbach ($3)
TSD gives up: Josh Johnson ($30), Chris Perez ($6), Alex Gordon ($31), Hanley Ramirez ($50), and $107 in loan
TSD again made
- Rankings-Based Planning: Preparing for Year 2+ in ottoneu
- When Patience is Not a Virtue: The Experts League Auction
- Breaking from Consensus: Where ottoneu Rankings Differ
Chris Nelson is a wasted roster spot (37th in the consensus) or a solid MI option (16th in ottoneu PAR). The answer probably lies somewhere in between, but the reality is that Nelson's value is much
- Early Batted Ball Distance Gainers and Losers
. And his 2013 distance outpaces, among others, Bryce Harper and Chris Davis. So it's not like he isn't hitting the ball hard.
That got me thinking, though - there must be players who are absolutely
- Potential ottoneu Value in Minors: Davis, Ackley, Chisenhall
Prior to the start of the season, I pursued a handful of players who I thought were due for big seasons. Some of these players - Brandon Moss, Julio Teheran, Chris Tillman among them - served me
- Pricing Pujols
more like .850 (6th among 1B) and his downside is a fall as low as .740 (tied with Chris Carter for 24th among 1B), his ottoneu value could range anywhere from $1-$3 (for near replacement level
- 10 Bold Predictions Revisited
of the power being there but the PA lacking - Hamilton just didn't have the pop people expected.
6. Chris Tillman will be a top-20 AL SP. Tillman finished just outside the top 20 (22nd) in ottoneu points
- Counting on Corbin
and 15th (Chris Sale, Homer Bailey, Felix Hernandez, A.J. Burnett, and Stephen Strasburg) posted the following K/9: 9.49, 8.57, 9.51, 9.85, and 9.39. Corbin’s 7.69 certainly looks like an outlier
- ottoneu Auction Recap: When the Available Players Don't Help
Util - Brandon Belt
SP - Felix Hernandez, Jordan Zimmerman, Carlos Carrasco, Lance Lynn, James Paxton, Chris Archer
RP - Mark Melancon, Joaquin Benoit, Trevor Rosenthal
Minors - Jon Singleton
- Young's Company
Earlier this week, Dave discussed Padres SP Chris Young and his inability to hold runners, essentially claiming that the former basketball prospect is worse at holding runners than anyone else
- Why Dallas Keuchel Should Fear Chris Young Most
Chris Young bat leadoff.
The right-handed Young should start the game, that much makes sense without going to the grounder/fly ball matchups. Fifty times, the Yankees have faced a lefty starter
- Chris Burke
On Friday, the Arizona Diamondbacks decided not to tender an offer of arbitration to Chris Burke. After coming over from the Astros in the Jose Valverde trade, Burke was a massive disappointment
- Chris Youngs and Occupying Extremes
, and one notes that Outfielder Chris Young has a career 16.3 WAR, while Pitcher Chris Young has a career 16.3 RA9 WAR. It's never been a secret that Pitcher Chris Young occupies an extreme. Two
- Chad Young ottoneu deadline chat -- 1/31/13
I will be by from 10-11pm ET tonight to chat before the ottoneu deadline. The queue will open well before, so get your questions in!
Chad Young -- Fantasy Baseball Chat
- The Rockies' Alternatives to Michael Young
The Rangers and the Rockies started talking about Michael Young at the Winter Meetings. It appears that, two months later, they're on the verge of a deal. As reported by FoxSports.com, "a deal could
- The Two Chris Youngs
We all know there's the absurdly tall Chris Young, the talented pitcher who refuses to stay healthy and then there's also the absurdly athletic Chris Young who patrols center field in Arizona and has
- Chris Cwik SuperChat - 12/22/11
Chris Cwik SuperChat
- Daily Graphing - Chris Carpenter
Today my faith in the Baseball Writers' Association of America was restored after they voted to give Chris Carpenter his first Cy Young award. Despite Dontrelle Willis' MLB high 22 wins, and Roger
- Two Young Center Fielders
into the season was Chris Young, whose projections were comparable to the 12th-ranked second baseman going into the season (Rickie Weeks).
Defense then becomes a non-fantasy entity that can mean a lot
- Haren And The Diamondbacks' Young Core
Upton. Upton is having another solid season, with 2.8 WAR in 416 plate appearances, and he'll be around until 2015 under a favorable $51.5 million contract. Chris Young is in the middle of a breakout
- Young Pitchers and Complete Games
A couple of weeks ago, I was helping fellow writer, Chris Cwik, look for possible reasons James McDonald fell off the cliff in the second half of the 2012 season. As Cwik pointed out, the 27-year-old
- Chad Young's 10 Bold Predictions for 2012
- 3 Young DBacks With a Chance?
The Arizona Diamondbacks apparently know how to clean out their veterans in order to take a look at the future. Or maybe things just fell that way. In any case, whether by injury (Chris Snyder, Conor
- The AL Cy Young Discussion
, about the AL Cy Young and its three likely frontrunners, Price, Chris Sale and Dallas Keuchel.
Price, who turned 30 in late August, is the only one of the three with a Cy (2012) on his mantle
- Where to Rank the Young Aces?
This matrix can also help you with solid deep options:
...As well as hyped names from the recent past:
- Be Excited about Chris Davis
Power hitters playing in Texas are a fantasy player’s dream. Chris Davis certainly fits the bill.
Throughout his minor league career, all Davis has done is mash. Despite being young for his level
- Tony Cingrani, Shelby Miller and the Two-Pitch Approach
that sticks out is Chris Young. Young has able to get by with a middling fastball due to the deception in his size and delivery. The term "deception" is often mentioned with both Cingrani and Miller
- Chris Cwik FanGraphs Chat - 8/17/11
Chris Cwik FanGraphs Chat
- Chris Cwik Winter Meetings Chat
Chris Cwik FanGraphs Chat
- Chris Sale the Starter?
Hot off the presses, White Sox GM Kenny Williams has announced that Chris Sale, who has not started a game since college, will be in their starting rotation next season. So what might we expect from
- In Celebration of Chris Sale
. The AL is home to a handful of truly excellent pitchers, and differentiating between them is the ultimate in picking nits. The last four Cy Young Awards have been won by Max Scherzer (still awesome
- Seattle Mariners, Pitcher Salesman
and the cost of developing young pitchers. While it will take years to know definitively which team won the deal, trading one of the best young pitchers in the game was the right decision
- The Unhittable Chris Archer
you're supposed to hit this. Chris Archer doesn't just look like a good young starter anymore; he now looks like a legitimate ace.
- 2011 Organizational Rankings: #15 - Baltimore
, Brian Matusz, Chris Tillman and Jake Arrieta (to name a few) start to reach their potential, the Orioles major league talent could experience a significant jump in the rankings. The farm system
- Chris Archer Produces a Masterpiece
Amid the ever-increasing dominance of pitching this season, Chris Archer has been a singular figure among the leaderboard of best pitchers during 2015: he's not only a newcomer to the best handful
- Mets Sign a Pair of Tommy John Survivors
of Capuano and Buchholz show that the Mets are willing to take risks if the price is right. They may take it even further, as Buster Olney reported they have offered a contract to Chris Young. Capuano
- Angels Acquire Iannetta
Chris Iannetta is finally free. After employing the worst starting catcher in baseball last season (min 250 plate appearances), the Los Angeles Angels decided to seek out an upgrade. Despite some
- Chad Young's Bold Predictions Mid-Season Report Card
- Chris Coghlan and Brett Carroll
The Florida Marlins’ left fielder Chris Coghlan has received rookie of the year consideration from quite a few sources this year, on the wings of his impressive .372 wOBA rookie season. This puts
- Projecting the Prospects in the Ben Zobrist Trade
The Royals have struck again. First, they pried Johnny Cueto from the Reds for young arms Brandon Finnegan, John Lamb and Cody Reed. Now they’ve landed Ben Zobrist from the Athletics for two more
- Another Year of Yordano Ventura
- 2012 Organizational Rankings: #24 -- Chicago White Sox
not necessarily young, Alejandro De Aza emerged as a solid center fielder last year.
Chris Sale may be the most exciting young player on the team, but there are some legitimate questions about how
- Ketel Marte Continues to Fly Under the Radar
Although he was perpetually young for his level, Ketel Marte more than held his own at every stop as he ascended through the Mariners system. In 2013, he posted a 91 wRC+ as a 19-year-old between Low
- Is Matt Dominguez the Answer?
a starting job at such a young age is regarded as one of the strongest prospects in all of baseball. This, however, is not necessarily the case for Dominguez. Although Marc Hulet rated Dominguez
- The Kids Will Play
While Gordon Beckham and Chris Sale reached the majors shortly after being drafted, it's tough to get too excited about their performances. After two seasons of regression, it looks like Beckham may
- Projecting Boog Powell
- Keep an Eye on José Quintana?
. This year, however, things are a bit different. They've received surprise performances by Chris Sale and Jake Peavy, but their normal rotation stalwarts -- John Danks and Gavin Floyd -- have floundered
- Royals Take A Page From Rays, Extend Perez
- The Second Breakout of Jason Heyward
to re-establish himself as one of the best young players in the game. At an age where some prospects are still in the minors, Heyward has already managed to churn out two highly productive major
- Noah Syndergaard's Comps Imply Ace Potential
rate against some of the best hitters the National League had to offer.
As I often do for young players, I generated a list of comps for Syndergaard's 2015 season by way of some Mahalanobis distance
- The White Sox Rotation: Can the Top Make Up for the Bottom?
There's very little to say about Sale at this point. Sure, there are always going
- Carlos Correa Is Coming
- The Domingo Santana Experiment Comes to Houston
And here he is looking even more lost against the soft-tossing righty, Chris Young.
Santana's inability to make contact is concerning, but the 22-year-old has plenty of other things going for him. He
- Team Preview: Texas Rangers
6 DH Michael Young/Mike Napoli (vs lefties)
7 1B Mitch Moreland*/Michael Young (vs lefties)
8 C Yorvit Torrealba
9 CF Julio Borbon*
The big offseason acquisition of Adrian Beltre should
- Second Half Stories to Follow
on pace to reach the mark; while Ian Kinsler, Andrew McCutchen, Justin Upton, Carlos Gonzalez and Chris Young all have an outside shot at reaching the milestone with strong second halves
- Should Cleveland Go All In?
reach, Indians' general manager Chris Antonetti announced that the team is going to be active around the trade deadline. While making the post-season would go a long way towards satisfying a long
- Making Sense of Justin Ruggiano
in the minors. Most of these guys get their brief major-league appearance, and are pushed off the roster the following season by a more promising young player. That's essentially what happened with Ruggiano
- Rays Rotation: Depth Chart Discussions
perspective. The reigning AL Cy Young winner, is consistent. Over the last three seasons, Price has tossed over 200 innings. His strikeout rate, which was already a strong 21.8% in 2010, has risen
- 2014 RotoGraphs Staff Picks
Best Sophomore Pitcher
- Dank(s) You Sir, May I Have Another Five Years?
of maintaining the proper level of success over multiple seasons. Danks is still young, and he should remain effective throughout the length on the contract. And he's also been incredibly durable over
- Projecting the First Wave of September Call-Ups
a quick look at three of the more intriguing young pitchers who will get their first taste of the big leagues this month: Zach Davies, Frankie Montas and Miguel Almonte. I anticipate more top
- Tempering Expectations for Atlanta's Matt Wisler
; and for the first time in his young baseball career, Wisler struggled.
Wisler struck out 25% of the batters he faced in A-Ball and Double-A, but saw his strikeout rate drop below 20% at the Triple
- KATOH Projects: Chicago White Sox Prospects
average and power output both ticked down as he advanced from Low-A to High-A. Even so, KATOH's intrigued by his acceptable numbers as a young-for-his-level third baseman in A-Ball. However, his strikeout
- On Terrance Gore's Upside
23 years old (he turns 24 in June). Players that young make significant improvements all the time. Gore's pretty terrible now, but he certainly wouldn't be the first terrible minor leaguer to develop
- Rangers Extend Holland
. Trevor Cahill only saw a slight bump in his WAR last season, but Lester and Gallardo both had significantly better seasons after signing their deals. Holland is still young, and his performance last
- Looking for the Next Paul Goldschmidt
, the Diamondbacks pushed him to High-A the following year. But, even then, he wasn't particularly young for his level as a 22-year-old.
Goldy hit about as well as anybody in his two-plus years in the minor
- Positional Power Rankings: Second Base
of young, major-league ready talent, but not at second base. Giavotella seized the job late last season, and has the inside track at starting in 2012, but that's mainly because he's not Chris Getz
- Comping Kris Bryant's Rookie Season
- KATOH Projects: Arizona Diamondbacks Prospects
obscenely young for his level. Furthermore, he hit an encouraging .322/.358/.430 in the lower rungs of A-Ball in 2014. Leyba's not a good hitter, but given his age and position, he's done just enough
- On Orlando Arcia's Lack of Power
thereof. Although he hit better than the league at a young age last year, he did so while hitting for very little power. With just four homers in 546 trips to the plate, his ISO was a measly .102.
- KATOH Projects: Texas Rangers Prospects
Nomar Mazara's Mahalanobis Comps
- Oakland Extends Cahill
Locking up young players shortly after they reach the majors is all the rage these days in Major League Baseball. It should come as no surprise then that the Oakland Athletics locked up Trevor Cahill
- Cory Luebke Joins the Rotation
, the performance of young players or prospects is one of the few positives ownership can sell to the fans. Cory Luebke, a former first-round pick, was given the opportunity to make his first start of the season
- Beating Colby Lewis
was fourth on the team with 16 home runs this season. It's also unclear whether Delmon Young -- who hit eight home runs after joining the team in July -- is completely healthy. After hitting three home
- The Miami Marlins Will Sign Everyone
in baseball. His addition helps shore up a rotation of Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, Ricky Nolasco and a bunch of young guys. Buehrle could also be a great mentor for the young pitchers on the Marlins
- Was Verlander Better than Halladay?
Justin Verlander won the Cy Young and the MVP award after a tremendous 2011 season. Roy Halladay -- who posted similar numbers -- went home with nothing. Whether or not you agreed with Verlander's
- The Rockies Should Trade Michael Cuddyer
has a reputation as a great guy and a team leader, which is one of the reasons O'Dowd may keep him on the team. But in order for this team to compete, they are going to need useful, young players
- Revisiting Baseball America's Top-10 Prospects from 2006
1. Delmon Young, OF (Profile)
KATOH: 13.9 WAR
BA: 20.3 WAR
Actual: 3.6 WAR
Just like everyone else, KATOH was all in in Delmon. It was kind of hard
- Rays Call Up Matt Moore
he can provide to fantasy teams going forward.
Much of Moore's value will be determined by how the Rays choose to employ their young fireballer. Many have speculated that Moore will be used
- Can R.A. Dickey Repeat?
came together last year. Six seasons after he started tinkering with the pitch, Dickey seemed to finally master the knuckleball. He was rewarded with the Cy Young award, and finished first overall
- Have the Tigers Ruined Rick Porcello?
major league starter. After being draft 27th overall, Detroit wasted no time showcasing their young ace. In order to ensure Porcello developed his other pitches, the Tigers insisted that Porcello stop
- Projecting the Prospects in the Todd Frazier Trade
- KATOH Projects: Los Angeles Dodgers Prospects
flaw in an otherwise promising stat line. Shortstops who hit that well at such a young age are few and far between. That's why Seager has the chance to be a special player.
- Trade Targets: Center Field
Jonny Gomes in left. The Reds have some valuable young talent (Yonder Alonso, Mike Leake, Todd Frazier, etc.), so there's a chance this happens if the Dodgers make Kemp available.
- Should Anyone Sign Derrek Lee?
Rankings article showed, even the low ranking teams are relatively set at the position.
The teams Matt ranked the lowest -- the Seattle Mariners and the San Diego Padres -- both have young prospects
- Byron Buxton Gets the Call to Minnesota
- Projecting the Prospects in the Johnny Cueto Trade
Trade season is now in full swing. The biggest trade of the summer (so far) came down the pike on Sunday, as the Royals acquired Johnny Cueto from the Reds in exchange for young, lefty hurlers
- Projecting Yankees' Speedy A-Baller, Jorge Mateo
- Projecting the Prospects in the Craig Kimbrel Trade
power and runs wild on the base paths. All of that bodes well for his future in the show, especially considering he's always been very young for his levels. Here are some comps that were generated
- KATOH Projects: Oakland Athletics Prospects
with an impressive 18 homers in 93 games last year. Year in and year out, Nunez has hit for power despite being young for his level, while simultaneously cutting down on his strikeout rate.
- Cardinals Rotation: Depth Chart Discussions
. There was some thought that Lynn would wind up back in the bullpen based on the Cardinals' young pitching talent, but Chris Carpenter's injury all but assures Lynn will reprise his role as a starter. As Jim
- Applying KATOH to Historical Prospects
- Prior, Webb on the Comeback Trail
innings pitched, the former Cy Young only last four innings before succumbing to a shoulder injury. Since shoulder surgery, Webb has failed to regain his velocity. He'll throw for teams at some point
- A First Look at Steven Matz
pretty good, but there's one possible knock on him: his age. Matz is 24, which isn't particularly young for a player who's just now making it to the majors. Most prospects worth their salt are already
- Do Number One Prospects Succeed Immediately?
- KATOH Projects: Pittsburgh Pirates Prospects
the right adjustments.
Tyler Glasnow's Mahalanobis Comps
- KATOH Projects: Tampa Bay Rays Prospects
of a traditional first baseman, but he excels in every other offensive area. Considering how young he's been for his level, that's quite an accomplishment.
Jake Bauer's Mahalanobis Comps
- KATOH Projects: San Diego Padres Prospects
- Thor's Hammer: A First Look at Noah Syndergaard
- KATOH Projects: New York Yankees Prospects
Eric Young Jr.
- Adjusting Our Opinion on Pitch Counts
This is a continuation of my last article, Handling Young Pitchers. Both pieces focus on a recent article written by Craig Wright for the Hardball Times Baseball Annual 2011.
In part one, I
- 2011 Organization Rankings: #25 Kansas City
the Royals' young stars start reaching the majors. If the past is any indication, however, Royals' fans have some reason for concern. In the time that Glass has owned the Royals, the team has traded off
- Is Tim Lincecum Taking a Big Risk?
-- winning back-to-back National League Cy Young awards in his first two full seasons -- and he's definitely in line for a big payday. But given pitchers' unpredictability, Lincecum's decision to play
- Arauz By Any Other Name: Projecting the Arauzes in the Ken Giles Trade
/.370 in 44 games while splitting time between second base and shortstop.
Those numbers may not sound great, but they're very impressive for a guy so young. Arauz fared particularly well
- Texas Rangers Bullpen: Depth Chart Discussions
with age-related decline as he enters his age-35 season. Those veterans will join a young, yet, otherwise promising bullpen in Texas.
The only concern about Nathan this season is his age. At 38-years
- A Perfect Storm For Kevin Slowey
, the BrooksBaseball site agrees, classifying the pitch to Michael Young as a slider and the pitch to Delmon Young as a curve.
His slider is hardly an elite offering, but it's an upgrade over
- How Good is Manny Machado?
. It's fairly rare for players as young as Machado to be in the majors, let alone perform at a near-MVP level. Harper and Trout may have received all the headlines last season, but Machado has forced his way
- Jose Fernandez Ready For Year Two
the hard part. Fernandez will have to prove that he's capable of doing it again. While there's always a significant risk involved in putting too much stock in young pitchers, Fernandez has already put
- Starling Marte and Dealing with Personal Bias
the finest season of his young career, solidifying himself as one of the better young outfielders in the game. Looking over that article now, I realize that while the research seemed to fit, I let my
- Stephen Strasburg Should Be an All-Star
can derail Strasburg's dominance.
4. He's young, he will have more opportunities to pitch in the All-Star Game.
Personally, I hope Strasburg goes on to pitch in a number of All-Star Games
- KATOH Projects: Kansas City Royals Prospects
a late-season cameo with Kansas City. Cuthbert likely won't be a star, but he makes a lot of contact, plays a semi-premium defensive position and is young enough that he still has time to improve
- Estimating a Buster Posey Contract Extension
The San Francisco Giants want to lock up their young stars. After signing both Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner to long-term contracts, the Giants have now reached out to Buster Posey's agent about
- Some Possible Futures for Houston's Vincent Velasquez
points on the age-to-level front. As a 22-year-old in A-Ball, he wasn't particularly young for his level. However, when you consider how much development time he's lost due to injuries, things suddenly
- The Cy Young Award and the Wins Barrier
should win and who should not. As I quite fortunately find myself to be one of those writers, I have some thoughts, especially as they relate to the Cy Young. Today, my hope is that you will join me
- KATOH Projects: Houston Astros Prospects
2. Tony Kemp, 2B (Profile)
KATOH Projection: 5.0 WAR
Dan's Grade: 45+ FV
Kemp annihilated Double-A pitching to the tune
- The Mark Reynolds Trade: Arizona's End
and Mikolio aren't exactly household names, they could end up playing key roles in Towers' next dominant pen.
In Hernandez and Mickolio, Towers acquires two young, cost-controlled pitchers capable
- Are the Brewers the Favorite in the Central?
to rely on the development of their young talent next season. A healthy Edinson Volquez will strengthen the rotation, but the Reds remain relatively unchanged heading into 2011.
The Cardinals have
- Sabathia's Opt Out
, and losing Sabathia would be a gigantic blow. If AJ Burnett fails to bounce back, and the young prospects cannot take a step forward, locking up Sabathia becomes an even bigger priority for the Yankees
- The Return of Josh Beckett
less thing the Red Sox have to worry about going forward. He may not return to Cy Young form, but as Beckett has already shown this season, 2010 appears to be an aberration.
- Will Ubaldo Jimenez Bounce Back?
that finished third in the Cy Young voting last season.
- Passing on Jose Reyes
. Reyes is currently 28-years-old -- that's not old, but it isn't necessarily young either. How many seasons of elite performance can you predict out of Reyes going forward? Five maybe? The allure
- Zack Greinke Can't Catch a Break
throwing at an All-Star level. If not for a ton of bad luck, it's not unreasonable to look at Greinke's numbers and see a potential Cy Young candidate. That's not the case, however. Greinke's luck may
- The Value of Joe Mauer
Unfortunately for the Twins, much of Mauer's value is dependent on whether he can produce at his pre-injury level. There are reasons for optimism: Mauer still is young and his injuries haven't
- Andrew McCutchen Arrives
to McCutchen until now. For the first time since Barry Bonds patrolled the Pittsburgh outfield, the Pirates have another home-grown, phenomenal young outfielder -- and one of the best players in the game
- Ozzie Guillen Out in Chicago
a deal in place to remain with the organization. In his time with the White Sox, Cooper has established himself as one of the best pitching coaches in the game. His propensity for turning around young
- Will the Rays Trade James Shields?
was the pitcher that could bring back the biggest return in a trade. In order to get their young prospect into the rotation -- in this case, Jeremy Hellickson -- the Rays dealt Shields Garza
- Boston Lands Bailey
and landed a proven closer for two young prospects. That's not a bad way for Ben Cherington to start his era in Boston.
- Is Fernando Martinez Worth a Waiver Claim?
that Martinez has been around forever, the former top prospect is only 23 — which means he could be an intriguing option for some other team.
It might sound weird to say this about a guy this young
- Matt Bush Arrested for DUI
case, but still received multiple chances based on his potential. Delmon Young once threw a bat at an umpire, but the Rays stuck by him due to his prospect status - at least, until they realized he
- Projecting Casey Meisner: The Other Guy in Clippard Trade
For the second time in a span of four days, the Mets have dipped into their surplus of young pitching talent to strengthen their 2015 roster. Over the weekend, they dealt two unremarkable
- KATOH Projects: Chicago Cubs Prospects
for being a catcher. He still needs to prove himself in the upper levels, but has shown promise offensively.
9. Chesny Young, 2B (Profile)
KATOH Projection Through Age 28 (2015 stats): 2.8 WAR
- Bottom of the Barrel: $1 Second Baseman
, and his help with steals will be virtually nonexistent. Despite those faults, DeWitt has two things going for him: he's young and he has some power. Only 25, DeWitt hasn't reached his prime yet
- Desmond Jennings Gets the Call
looking to pick up some extra steals. Now that the Rays have finally promoting their young star, it appears they are going to utilize him aggressively. The fact that the Rays made Jennings their lead
- Keeper Conundrum: Mike Leake
provided value to fantasy owners this season -- and he's still incredibly young for a player with his experience -- but have his performances been strong enough to make him a keeper?
- Waiver Wire: Ross Detwiler
control this season, however, as he's currently posting the best walk rate (2.86 per nine) of his young career. The 25-year-old pitcher has also been able to increase his strikeout rate this season
- What to do with Alex Rodriguez?
Bautista, Adrian Beltre and Pablo Sandoval; and Rodriguez looks like the seventh best option at the position heading into next season. That doesn't even include Aramis Ramirez, Michael Young or Kevin
- Is Gordon Beckham Done?
a chance on a young prospect or a bounce back candidate. Gordon Beckham is one player that fits that mold perfectly. After being one of the most highly touted rookies following his 2009 campaign, Beckham
- RotoGraphs Mock Keeper Draft Rounds 1-3
' slugger, Mike Stanton. Stanton is incredibly young -- and still getting better -- he's a good bet to lead the league in home runs over the next decade.
Riskiest Pick: At the time of the draft, Ryan
- What is Andrew Cashner's Value?
more value in leagues if he transitions to the rotation in 2013. The Padres rotation may be young, but many members are unproven, so it wouldn't be surprising if Cashner knocked one of the Padres
- Two Lessons for Next Season
waiting for a breakout. On the other hand, Jason Heyward and Buster Posey immediately produced. While there's some upside in young guys, there's also a fair amount of risk. Harper and Trout succeeded
- Howie Kendrick: Still Fantasy Relevant?
The legend of Howie Kendrick was written prematurely. If you were playing fantasy baseball in 2006, there's a good chance you heard about a young Angels prospect named Howie Kendrick. Most
- Preaching Patience with R.A. Dickey
R.A. Dickey came into the season with more concerns than the typical reigning Cy Young. He did not have the long track record of elite success in the majors, and was moving to a more difficult league
- Buying & Selling: NL Starters
this year as well. Unless that hard slider starts appearing, you might try and sell Cashner as a young pitcher who has finally figured things out.
Buy low: Brewers SP Marco Estrada
In some ways
- The Development of Tyler Chatwood
than 23. And given how young he is, it's reasonable to expect some development from Chatwood. Chatwood was a second-round draft pick, and appeared on Baseball America's 2011 Top 100 Prospects list
- Jose Quintana's Steady Improvement
only improved slightly. Instead of being a back-of-the-rotation guy, Quintana has shown enough ability to probably survive as a three-starter. On a White Sox team lacking young pitching talent
- A Look at the Prospects in the Craig Kimbrel Trade
of a challenge for the 21-year-old. For the first time in his young career, Wisler struggled.
In 22 Triple-A starts, Wisler pitched to a 5.01 ERA and 5.14 FIP. To be fair, Wisler made those 22 starts
- A First Look at Philadelphia's Aaron Nola
- Under-the-Radar Rookie Hitters on Contending Teams
Bryant to Carlos Correa to Noah Syndergaard to Lance McCullers, we've experienced a historic wave of young talent matriculating to the big leagues. Top prospects often turn into productive big leaguers
- Projecting Raul Mondesi
despite being a non-terrible defensive shortstop.
Yet, as bad as Mondesi's hitting has been, he's also been very young for his level at every stop along the way. Although he's yet to master a minor
- KATOH's Rule 5 Pref List: The Pitchers
, this compilation of names is skewed more towards guys on the young end of the spectrum, and not necessarily towards guys who are most likely to contribute in 2016.
Identifying eligible Rule 5 players
- Free Dilson Herrera
A cornucopia of promising young hitters lost their rookie eligibility over the course of the 2015 season. Carlos Correa, Kris Bryant, Francisco Lindor and Kyle Schwarber are just a few of the most
- How Good Is Salvador Perez?
the ninth best WAR among young catchers over that period. If you're a skeptic, it's easy to look at Perez's strong fielding numbers, and point to those as the reason he ranks that high on the list
- Texas Rangers Infield: Depth Chart Discussions
him one of the best second basemen in fantasy baseball. There was some talk of him shifting to first base to accomodate one of the team's young prospects, but it hasn't happened yet. He wouldn't
- The Cubs Infield: Can the Youngsters Bounce Back?
Nothing seemed to go right for the Chicago Cubs in 2013. While the team wasn't expected to be good, it had a young core of players who could contribute to the next winner on the North Side. Virtually
- The Roto Deep League Cy Young
To separate the deep league fantasy Cy Young from the regular fantasy one, and also from the real-life Cy Young, we'll need to define the award. Fantasy Baseball is maybe all about value, and value
- Chris Archer Conquers Lefties
Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Chris Archer lived up to expectations in 2014. While Archer's performance during his rookie season was strong, there were still some questions about his ability moving forward
- KATOH Projects: Milwaukee Brewers Prospects
Eric Young Jr
- N.L Cy Young: Who to Choose?
With the regular season finally over, it's time to start thinking about who should be the recipient of the National League Cy Young award. A month ago, I thought Chris Carpenter was a shoe in to win
- Will Stars and Scrubs Approach Derail Brewers?
of development in the minors and will now have to adjust at the major league level. Although George Kottaras would provide more patience and power, Lucroy is the superior defensive player. Lucroy is still young
- The Return of Cahill's Curve
candidates due to some poor peripherals. One of the most puzzling aspects of Cahill's young career, and one of the reasons analysts are calling for regression, has been Cahill's low strikeout rate
- Royals Lose Danny Duffy for the Season
of soreness, they let Duffy see if he could overcome it. While he was able to put off surgery for two starts, both sides probably knew this was inevitable.
The Royals still have a lot of young talent
- Red Sox Have Too Many Outfielders
is an easy bet to be sent down. He's young — and he's part of the team's future — but his performance doesn't justify keeping him on the roster this season. Podsednik is probably the next player
- Jeff Hoffman Surprisingly Polished in Return from Surgery
healthy and keep progressing.
Notes on other players from this game:
Abiatal Avelino, SS, Yankees: Avelino has been a bit under the radar in his young career, but he played well in the GCL two years
- Projecting the Prospects in the Cespedes Trade
Mahalanobis Distance calculations:
IP thru 28
WAR thru 28
- Rangers Sign Former First-Overall Pick Matt Bush
, and Carlos Correa (2012) appears to be on a similar trajectory. Even the busts -- like Delmon Young (2003), Luke Hochevar (2006) and Tim Beckham (2008) -- often turn into big league players who have
- Who Will Close for the White Sox?
to be that good, and they could see what they have in the young guys if the team struggles. Thornton is the best bet, but there's no telling where the White Sox may turn in a few months. Whoever the team
- What's Next For Bryce Harper?
, Harper had emerged as one of the team's best offensive players. Had it not been for Mike Trout, Harper would have received even more accolades for his accomplishments at such a young age. Harper
- What Will Wade Miley Do Next?
more decent years in him, and Jordan Zimmermann looks to be on a promising track, but is still young. Alejandro Pena, Atlee Hammaker and Mark Mulder fell off a bit following their age-25 season. Mulder
- The Michael Morse Approach
is not a young player. Morse will turn 31 before the start of next season. At that age, most of the players on the list with Morse's skill set were either out of baseball, or seeing limited playing
- Can Trevor Cahill Improve Again?
seems like a long time, he's still young, not turning 25 until March. Because of that, it's still plausible to think there's a chance for Cahill to get even better.
Strikeout rate isn't
- Pirates Getting it Done with Pitching
pitchers rank fifth with a 3.49 FIP. Aside from Gerrit Cole, the team hasn't seen major contributions from their young prospects yet. Instead, the team has seen huge payoffs from the most unlikely
- The Maturation of Ian Desmond
-old, it wasn't as if Desmond was a young prospect figuring things out. Just when it looked like he was a lost cause, Desmond started to figure things out. Over the past two seasons, he's taken himself
- The Nationals Outfield: Is this the Year?
with an MVP-caliber season. The good thing is, Harper was able to post those numbers while dealing with injuries that required offseason surgery. At age-21, the sky really is the limit for the young
- Blue Jays Outfield: Time for A Bounce Back
still relatively young. With Rasmus set to be a free-agent following the season, there's a chance the team will want to see what Gose can do, particularly late in the season. It's unclear what Gose
- Chris Tillman: Sleeper
Chris Tillman is going to be a very popular pick at the end of most drafts this season. Every year, there are a couple of guys that get touted all offseason, causing other owners to make a fuss when
- Making Sense of Ozhaino Albies' Awesome Pro Debut
and every scout that has seen him told me they can’t argue with this ranking.
Power isn’t a big part of game and likely will never be, but he does everything else so well at such a young age
- KATOH Projects: Baltimore Orioles Prospects
batting line. Power production like that is uncommon for someone that young, which puts Reyes on a promising trajectory. On the downside, he's had some trouble staying healthy, and is currently rehabbing
- KATOH's Top 200 Prospect List
with the fact that Anderson wasn't overly young for his level, lead KATOH to project the toolsy shortstop for a measly 2.2 WAR through age 28, despite his solid .301/.327/.481 batting line. Anderson's
- The 2016 All-KATOH Team
for a super-young middle infielder.
Why scouts don't:
As a 5-foot-9 second baseman, Westbrook isn't exactly a bastion of tools. He feels like the type of hitter who'll need to prove himself
- A Primer on a New and Improved KATOH
these numbers from time to time. Furthermore, players' bodies are always changing, even in the height department. We're sometimes dealing with kids as young as 16 or 17, remember, and height isn't
- Attempting to Forecast Yoan Moncada Statistically
it's worth. But caveats aside, the statistical projection seems to mostly agree with the scouting consensus: Yoan Moncada looks like one of the most promising young players in the game.
- Projecting Addison Russell
on to High-A in 2013, and kept right on hitting. At 19, he was very young for the California League, but still managed a .275/.377/.508 performance. Not many prospects are assigned to High
- Ready or Not, Kevin Plawecki's a Big Leaguer
and eighth respectively in his pre-season rankings. Any time a prospect of that caliber gets called up to the big leagues, it's certainly newsworthy.
But there was another promising, young prospect who
- KATOH's Thoughts on the First-Round Picks
. But, with a projected 1.2 WAR through age-28, KATOH still likes him better than most other pitchers who came off the board last night.
9. Ian Happ, 2B, Chicago Cubs
The Cubs may have a glut of young
- Projecting the Prospects in the Troy Tulowitzki Trade
%) and also with his age: at 22, he wasn't overly young for A-Ball. However, KATOH doesn't know that Hoffman sat out an entire year recovering from surgery, and might still be finding his groove. As he
- Projecting All the Prospects in the Latos/Wood Trade
- Projecting Rockies Call-Ups Cristhian Adames & Tom Murphy
comps tell a similar story:
Tom Murphy's Statistical Comps
PA thru 28
WAR thru 28
- Projecting Milwaukee's Slew of Late-September Call-Ups
PA thru 28
WAR thru 28
Eric Young Jr.*
- Carlos Correa's Rookie Season Hints at Greatness
to other young players' seasons by weighing each metric according to its offensive importance.
One tweak, though. While wOBA does a good job of quantifying a hitter's past performance, it fails
- A Look at Some Compelling Minor League Free Agents
, runs well and plays up-the-middle defense. And most importantly, at 24, he's still young enough that he could conceivably get a good deal better.
Rafael Ortega, 1.8 WAR thru 28
- Foolishly Looking for the Next A-Rod
first overall in the 1993 amateur draft. He wasted no time establishing himself in the minor leagues. He opened the 1994 season in Low-A, where -- as an 18-year-old -- he was extremely young for his
- How the Brewers Rebuilt Their Way Into KATOH's Heart
like decent bets to be traded sooner or later. A couple of years from now, Milwaukee should have a solid core of young, cost-controlled players to build around. If nothing else, Brewers fans have
- Ruddy Giron: Possible Sleeper in the Padres System
, but as an 18-year-old, he was crazy young for a full-season assignment. Giron's age and 2014 stats make his full-season assignment seem recklessly aggressive, but his performance suggests he was at the appropriate
- KATOH Projects: Miami Marlins Prospects
. This is in no way helpful to anyone, but Flores won multiple Cy Young awards for me in my MLB the Show franchise two years ago.
Kendry Flores' Mahalanobis Comps
- KATOH Projects: Seattle Mariners Prospects
is still a prospect here in 2016. Once a promising young player in the Rangers system, Wieland's career has been derailed by injuries. But he showed glimpses of his former self last year when he posted
- Ronald Torreyes Continues to Exceed Expectations
infielder. It blows my mind that so many teams let him go for approximately nothing.
Not only did Torreyes hold his own in Triple-A at a young age, but he did so while making loads of contact
- Picking Berrios: Top Prospect Debuts for Twins Tonight
This hasn't been a particularly fun season for Twins fans. Not only do they have an abysmal 7-14 record, but their young players -- who are supposed to usher in a new era of Twins baseball -- haven't
- Will Adrian Gonzalez Rebound?
provided in the past. The culprit of his struggles wasn't an injury, and, at age-31, Gonzalez is still young enough to stave off a major performance decline. Those factors have made Gonzalez one
- 2013 NL Starting Pitcher Tiers: June
Young starting pitchers continue to make their presence known this year. Since the last NL pitcher rankings, owners have seen Tyler Skaggs, Michael Wacha, Gerrit Cole and, soon, Zack Wheeler reach
- NL Starter Tiers -- May 2014
, as it's been two starts. Teheran and Cole are too young guys with plenty of potential, but it would be nice to get a few more strikeouts right now.
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
- Baseball America Top 10 Prospects Retrospective: Part 1
As he posted these increasingly good season at such a young age (21-23) and on some pretty good Braves teams, he looked to be one of the next
- KATOH Projects: Cincinnati Reds Prospects
the Royals in the Johnny Cueto deal. Reed turns 23 in April, so he hasn't exactly been young for his levels. But his excellent numbers along with his height (6-foot-5) yields one of KATOH's top pitcher
- KATOH Projects: Colorado Rockies Prospects
, Tapia's ascent through the minors has been a gradual one. As a result, he hasn't been particularly young for his levels for a Dominican signee. That's KATOH's biggest quibble here, but Tapia's overall
- KATOH's Top 100 List: Now Incorporating Multiple Years
. This adjustment also makes age a bit less important in general. So the guys who have little going for them other than being uber young for their level don't rise to the top as much. I'm looking at you, Samir
- KATOH Projections for the Top 200 Prospects
at a young age. Still, despite its flaws, KATOH tackles prospect evaluation from an objective point of view, which I think can be useful in identifying statistical factors that may have been overlooked
- KATOH Projects: Philadelphia Phillies Prospects
is the one piece that's still missing from Tocci's profile, but he makes up for it by having so many other skills at such a young age.
8. Deivi Grullon, C (Profile)
KATOH Projection: 2.6 WAR
- Chris Cwik: RotoGraphs Chat
- Chris Cwik RotoGraphs Chat
- Corey Kluber as a Cy Young Candidate
in a more pitcher-friendly ballpark than Cleveland's. Felix isn't Chris Young -- he isn't engineered to get the maximum benefit out of Safeco's dimensions and air -- but pitcher-friendly is pitcher
- The Daily Grind: Dynasty, Chavez, Young
: Odrisamer Despaigne, Kyle Hendricks, John Danks, Colome, Matt Garza, Matt Shoemaker, Williams, de la Rosa, Scott Feldman, Chris Tillman, Mat Latos, Archie Bradley
4. Tomorrow's Targets - Young
- Ghosts of Young Old Players Past
Last week, I posted about three hitters who displayed "old player skills" during the 2010 season. Old players are (as defined by Nate Silver) hitters who at a relatively young age have higher walk
- Young Three Provide Hope for the Reds
it was like to have three homegrown young starters peaking at the same time, back when he joined Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder in dominating the American League.
The parallels in Cincinnati
- Graph: Chris Archer Among the Greats
Earlier today, the present author utilized a nearly coherent metaphor involving astronomy to illustrate a point about Tampa Bay right-hander Chris Archer -- namely that, not unlike how a star is both
- Martin Perez and Extensions For Young Pitchers
Last week, the Texas Rangers caught many off-guard when they announced they had signed young left-hander Martin Perez to a four-year deal that guarantees the pitcher $12.5 million dollars. Perez has
- Nick Castellanos is Channeling Chris Johnson
- 2009 Impact Rookie: Chris Dickerson
with the Cincinnati Reds organization and Chris Dickerson, who was drafted out of the University of Nevada in the 16th round of the 2003 draft.
He showed signs of life in 2007 and fully emerged from
- Free Agent Projection: Chris Davis
Baltimore Orioles first baseman, Chris Davis, is in the final year of his contract where he is making $12 mil/yr. At age 29, Davis has had a roller-coaster of a career starting in Texas where he
- AL $1 Option: Chris Tillman
despite his formidable AL East opponents. Talk of his dominating college and minor league performances spreads from water cooler to water cooler and the hype is growing.
That pitcher is not Chris
- 2009 Impact Rookie: Chris Tillman
The Baltimore Orioles have multiple reasons to thank the Seattle Mariners, and right-hander Chris Tillman is one of the top gifts that the club received in the Erik Bedard trade prior to the 2008
- 2009 Impact Rookie: Chris Perez
-reliever Ryan Franklin (3.55 ERA) with 17, former closer Jason Isringhausen (5.70) with 12 and rookie Chris Perez (3.46) with seven. Although he appeared in 41 games, Perez is still a rookie for 2009
- Chris Carpenter: Too Diminished to Start?
Chris Carpenter did not have a good game on Monday. He only struck out one batter in four innings, and though he only allowed two earned runs in his four innings, he did surrender eight baserunners
- Chris Carpenter Hurt and Probably Finished
that the news conference would have to do with Chris Carpenter's future, and many began to expect a retirement announcement. Carpenter has not retired, but retirement doesn't appear to be far off
- B.J. Upton, Chris Davis and Breakouts
Chris Davis owners are experiencing an unexpected surprise this season. Instead of a possible corner infield or injury replacement, they have one of the top players in the league for pennies
- Chris Cwik's Bold Predictions for 2014
- Sonny Gray: The Anti-Chris Sale
Earlier this week, I took a look at the AL Cy Young race, utilizing batted-ball metrics to address the respective candidacies of David Price, Dallas Keuchel and Chris Sale. To make a long story short
- Snapshots from the 1980s: Chris Chambliss
on a weekly basis. First up is Chris Chambliss, who played 18 big-league seasons with the Indians, Yankees and Braves from 1971-1988.
Chambliss, on why was there so much competitive balance
- Trade Chris Sale? Odds Say No
, have a problem with his column encouraging the White Sox to deal Chris Sale.
It’s not that the idea is without merit; he provides some solid reasoning, but when you consider all of the factors at play
- Where Chris Davis is Really Struggling
It's not so bad in the bigger picture. Since the start of last season, Chris Davis has been worth more than seven wins, equal on our pages to the contribution from Jayson Werth. That's not quite
- Proposing a Dodgers Trade for Chris Archer
a reasonable offer for another health-risk arm, maybe the Dodgers should just put together a blockbuster for Chris Archer instead.
Obviously, Archer would cost a ton. Over the summer, I rated him
- Chris Coghlan: Finally Relevant Again
For all intents and purposes, Chris Coghlan is having a pretty good season. Drafted in the supplemental first round of the 2006 June amateur draft, Coghlan earned National League Rookie of the Year
- Michael Young's Three Most Significant Hits
that the available offers are not attractive enough to be worth it and retire. This seems to have been the case with Michael Young, who announced his retirement last week. He retired as as a member
- 2014 Draft Chat with Chris Crawford
, though you get a kid in your system young enough you can fix some things. That's a really good question.4:13Comment From Darth StoutWhere can I (we) find the total draft pool money available to each
- Chris Archer & Danny Hultzen: Waiver Wire
to consider adding Chris Archer and Danny Hultzen.
Tampa Bay Rays
Owners should know
- Michael Young For Carlos Lee Makes Sense
Michael Young does not want to play for the Texas Rangers anymore - he made that clear with his public assailing of their front office last night, and essentially changed the incentives for Jon
- FanGraphs Audio: Rays Right-Hander Chris Archer
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks with young Tampa Bay Rays right-hander Chris Archer.
Don't hesitate to direct pod-related correspondence to @cistulli on Twitter
- Chris Sale: More Than Just a Slider
Chris Sale was far from a polished pitcher by the time he was drafted by the White Sox. Armed with two above-average pitches, some analysts believed he was bound for the bullpen. But in his brief
- Young's Time In Arizona Likely Coming to an End
, as non-performance factors must be taken into consideration.
The Diamondbacks currently have Justin Upton, Chris Young, Adam Eaton, Jason Kubel and Gerardo Parra under contract. Upton is the most
- Inserting Delmon Young's Name Into Works of "Literature"
I didn’t want to do two of these so close together, but then Delmon Young had to go and sign with the Baltimore Orioles this week, meaning it’s once again time for the royal We to insert Delmon Young
- The AL Cy Young Can't Go Wrong, or Right
Though we won't know the winner of the 2014 American League Cy Young Award until later Wednesday, we've already been given some clues. The BBWAA has told us the three finalists are Felix Hernandez
- It's a Jake Sale! AL Fantasy Cy Young
of series, not necessarily the best player.
To that end, we need to award the American League Cy Young to the pitcher who provided you the most production for the least possible cost. And among
- Max Scherzer Is Going to Win the Cy Young, And That's Okay
When the American League Cy Young Award winner is announced on Wednesday night, Detroit's Max Scherzer is almost certainly going to defeat Yu Darvish of the Rangers and Seattle's Hisashi Iwakuma
- The Perils of Young Pitching, Featuring Skaggs & Gausman
Young pitching is killing it this year. My staffs, full of Matt Harvey, Shelby Miller, Jose Fernandez and David Phelps are treating me very well right now. From one standpoint, it makes a lot
- Phil Hughes a Cy Young Candidate in 2015?
If you told me, at the end of 2013 (5.19 ERA) that Phil Hughes would have a chance to win a Cy Young, I would’ve told you, no way. If you told me in 2012 (4.23 ERA) that Phil Hughes had a chance
- Hiroki Kuroda's Case for the Cy Young Award
better seasons), Max Scherzer and Anibal Sanchez (two non-Verlander Tigers having big years), Yu Darvish (strikeout machine), Chris Sale (great pitcher on a bad team), and Derek Holland (finally living
- The Quality of Opposition Factor in the AL Cy Young Race
The AL Cy Young race has gotten pretty interesting. A month ago, Max Scherzer looked like a near lock, with his glistening 19-1 record and strong peripherals that supported the idea that he'd
- Explaining My NL Cy Young Ballot
do to induce weak contact and allow fewer hits on balls in play than others. They can pitch up in the zone, generating a lot of infield flies and balls that land in the outfielders gloves; Chris Young
- Young Relievers Lighting Up Leaderboards, Radar Guns
, Drew Storen went from talented rookie set-up man to closer on a suddenly not terrible Nationals team. In their wake, young relievers like Kenley Jansen, Kelvin Herrera, Trevor Rosenthal, Addison Reed
- Hail Mary Pitchers - Young Unknowns/Buy-Highs
Continuing with my Hail Mary Pitchers from last week, here are the final two categories:
The Young Unknowns are the shiny new toys who are having some success this year, but carry
- Where Might Chris Davis End Up?
With Opening Day nearing, Chris Davis is staring at the prospect of a fourth stint in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League. Mitch Moreland is the favorite to win the Rangers' first base job. Mike Napoli
- Chris Archer, Jose Quintana, and Risk Valuation
million deal with the Pirates. A couple of years ago, Madison Bumgarner, Jon Niese, Derek Holland, and Chris Sale all signed long term deals with very similar parameters at similar levels of service
- Concerning Chris Archer's Future; A Disappointing Comparison
as fascinated with young talent as those title-starved Indians fans drinking their reasonably priced beverages, and one player who's caught my eye this year is Chris Archer, the 24-year-old, flame-throwing
- Alex Wood Poised to Be NL Version of Chris Sale
of another funky-delivering 22-year-old southpaw, Chris Sale:
Pitcher Inn K/9 BB/9 GB% FIP
Sale 71 10.01 3.42 49.7
- Chris Sale Finds Another Great Pitch
I'm not sure that we talk about how great Chris Sale is often enough. That's relatively easily explained, I suppose; after all, with offense down across baseball, there's more great-looking starting
- Waiver Wire: Ben Revere and Chris Johnson
be able to help your squad out: Ben Revere and Chris Johnson.
With Denard Span still on the disabled list and reportedly still feeling a tad woozy from his concussion, Ben Revere
- Chris Cwik's 10 Bold Predictions For the 2013 Fantasy Season
- Chris Parmelee & James Jones: Deep League Wire
time! That's the joy of picking from scraps in deep leagues.
Chris Parmelee | 1B/OF BAL | 1% Owned
It's pretty safe to say that after Parmelee's two-homer effort last night, he shall
- White Sox Looking to Lock Up Chris Sale
From the esteemed Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago:
White Sox pitcher Chris Sale confirmed Tuesday his representatives have had discussions with the club about a contract extension.
- Chris Owings and the Uncertain Arizona Shortstop Situation
The Diamondbacks recalled shortstop Chris Owings to the big leagues a few days ago as part of the September roster expansion, and any time you get an infielder in his age-21 season who just won both
- Dodgers Righty Chris Anderson Flashes Big Stuff
The writer still grades the tools based on what they saw, I’m just letting the reader know what he would’ve seen in many other games from this season, particularly with young players that may
- Mike Olt's Arrival May End The Michael Young Era
end of the Michael Young Era in Texas. At least, the era where Young played any kind of meaningful role on the team.
Young's been a staple in Texas since 2001, and contributed at least +2.5 WAR
- What Corey Kluber Winning the Cy Young Tells Us
Corey Kluber won the American League Cy Young Award on Wednesday, beating Seattle's Felix Hernandez by 10 points, with 17 first place votes to Felix's 13. In doing so, Kluber became the first Indians
- Stubbs, Young, Maybin, Morrison: Tier 5 NL OF Keepers
a team that can handle his bad batting average (and, really even his OBP is below-average) in order to reap the rewards Stubbs can offer.
Chris Young - $11.29
It's tempting to say that Chris Young
- Buyer's Guide: The ottoneu Trade Deadline
production in case he isn't back in time to help, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
1) Prospects are not your only assets. Everyone starts with the prospects. Sellers want young pieces
- Election Results: ottoneu Arbitration Summary
FanGraphs Experts League team.
But I can take solace in the fact that I am far from alone, particularly when it comes to Hosmer - nearly 43% of Hosmer owners found themselves without their young
- FanGraphs Staff League 2 Season Preview
Avon Old Farms Winged Beavers
The Duda Abides
- Rookie Draft Review
of an $8 Matt Moore. Instead, not one but two owners passed on the young Rays stud. I can see an argument for Darvish (although it is not an argument I would care to make) but Cespedes, particularly
- ottoneu Prospecting for Non-Scouts
who are not actually prospects, but are young, talented and yet to break out. This year, I'd put Nick Franklin in that camp - you can't count on him to play, he is no longer a prospect, but if you
- Second Half Breakouts Based on ottoneu Points: Part II
Yesterday I kicked off this party with Part I which covers my methodology and includes a table of all the folks we're talking about.
It also looks at nine young guys - rookies and near rookies
- 3 Guys I Won't Buy in 2012 ottoneu Leagues
and a bunch of injury time), you'll be cutting him. There are reasons to be optimistic about the Tribe SS (mostly that he's still young enough to have a legit break out) but a sudden boost in HR/FB
- ottoneu Trade Recap: Shipping out the Panda
hopes for Goldschmidt (and I do!) but he is an unproven talent at a deep position, while Sandoval is a young star with a track record at a position that is...less deep.
But, my friends, context
- Chronicles of ottoneu: FanGraphs Experts League, Year Two
Neil FitzGerald (BaseballHQ)
Tom Keppy (BaseballHQ)
James Quintong (ESPN)
Jack Moore (RotoHardball, FanGraphs)
Eno Sarris (FanGraphs)
Chad Young (ottoneu, FanGraphs)
- Trades in a Vacuum
player at a good price with a track record of success can still be young enough and can still qualify as a great value. I was asked about a deal the other day involving Adam Jones and Dexter Fowler
- The Guys You Just Can't Quit
overlooked, as Ackley seemed to be the young 2B on every fantasy owner's shopping list. And when Kipnis tore the cover off the ball in his initial call-up, I was hooked. Even through some rough stretches, I
- Ottoneu Arbitration: Examples from the Original League
Allan, the owner of the Leftovers, spent the last few years stockpiling inexpensive, young talent and waiting for it to mature. This year, he took the plunge, trading some of that value
- Ottoneu Offseason Primer
of it will be quite different, and that is what I want to focus on here.
Determine Where You are in the Big Picture. The Braves are young and improving, narrowly missed the post-season last year
- Second Half Breakouts Based on ottoneu Points: Part I
We'll look at these guys in four groups: Today, we'll check out the rookies and the young breakout candidates; tomorrow, the established fantasy
- Prying Away Prized Assets in Keepers
probably also have to overpay - those guys are studs, they are young, they are priced reasonably, and I have to overcome the endowment effect, which I find to be especially strong with guys who
- Off-season Roster Organization Part II
absolutely love my starting pitching? Love it. It's young, cheap and awesome. But, with that out of the way...
I can't legitimately keep 11 ML starters, let alone eight ML starters and three minor
- Auction Season is Underway
to building a solid roster. You can't afford a stud at every spot, so finding guys who fill lineup holes on the cheap is key.
Having said all of that, one of the hallmarks of a Chad Young auction
- Buy, Sell, or Stand - The Plight of a Team (Maybe) on the Verge
other young talent to try to add at least one more high-average, high-speed bat and at least one more SP. It means depleting a farm system I have spent two years building and that could be on the edge
- Sellers Guide: The ottoneu Trade Deadline
3) Prospects and cheap guys are not always the best targets. You want guys who can help you win, not guys who make you young. In the aforementioned experts league, I would love to add a $40 stud
- Cleaning Up Another's Mess: Taking Over Abandoned Teams
, a 20-team, 45-man-roster monstrosity, I am quickly discovering that almost every owner is focused on acquiring young talent, including prospects, with the hopes of hitting it big. This makes a lot of sense
- Update on a Deep League Roster Reconstruction
, but felt that my young pitching staff allowed me to shop him and this was easily the best offer I got. Lee and Anderson are not nothing, but neither of them are guys I care much about. Lee could still turn
- Looking Back at 2013
relatively equal targets if only because of the uncertainty around the production and health of any young pitcher. I won't go so far as to say that I predicted Harvey's injury, but making the decision
- What to do with Prince Fielder?
ancient, it is not young either. It is not unreasonable to think that his 2013 performance was the start of a legitimate decline phase.
Let's check out a couple other "bad body" first basemen
- Trading Scherzer (aka, the Difficulties of Valuing an Ace)
also has future value. He just turned 30 (Sunday, in fact - Happy Birthday, Max!), which isn't young, but isn't Jamie Moyer, either. Scherzer has consistently taken his rotation turns, hitting the 195
- Off-season Roster Organization Part I
have liked last year, but this is also a guy who is a clear number one at his position, and a traditionally thin position at that. But I have two young catchers who haven't looked half-bad (as long
- ottoneu Keepers - The Results
. Rubby de la Rosa was only kept in a quarter of leagues. Sure, his value in 2012 is next to nothing, but when people are paying a good price for top prospects, a young pitcher who has flown through
- Another Look at Day One of the FanGraphs Staff ottoneu Auction
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): SS Edition
- Trade Dilemma - Rizzo or Harvey, or maybe Verlander
and 149.1 IP for Harvey) and both have impressed over that time (25 HR, 75 R, 87 RBI, .271 AVG for Rizzo; 9.94 K/9, 2.35 ERA, 1.00 WHIP for Harvey).
Harvey's stats are Cy Young caliber while
- Time to Buy or Sell?
positions. Big mistake.
The next piece of the puzzle is how well situated you are to buy (or sell) even if you want to. In the original ottoneu league, I over-indexed on young prospects (David
- Avoid Rookies with your ottoneu Allocations
over two years, $33 to Bryant.
Instead, let's assume Bryant is a bust. His power doesn't translate, or he can't hit MLB breaking pitches or something. Instead of Stanton, he is Delmon Young
- Young Ichiro
Young Ichiro wonders what all the commotion is about.
Young Ichiro, if forced to put a name on his look -- and he wouldn't do it unless you forced him -- might call it the "Doctor of Love
- Will the AL Cy Young Voting Reflect That the Race is Dead Even?
The winner of the 2014 American League Cy Young Award is going to be either Felix Hernandez or Corey Kluber. Yes, indeed, there are other worthwhile candidates, and yes, you can argue whether Chris
- Ottoneu Arbitration: Strategies for the First Off-season Activity
- ottoneu Keeper: Matt Joyce
- First-Pitch Strikes, Plate Discipline and Players Due to Bounce (or Fall) Back: Part 1
- First-Pitch Strikes, Plate Discipline and Players Due to Bounce (or Fall) Back: Part II
- For Whom the Bell Tolls; Or Why I Hate Closers
- Evaluating Pitchers Changing Teams
- Why You Should Pass on Ackley and Wait for Kipnis
- ottoneu News: Keeper Deadline, Abandoned Teams
- Reshuffling the Top Five
- Seven Lessons from an ottoneu Auction
- How to Handle the Tokyo Dome
- Why I am Not Only Keeping But Targeting Kyle Seager in ottoneu Leagues
- Who You Are Signing: Latest Adds in ottoneu
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Most Active Current Auctions
- ottoneu Points League Standings Analysis
- Managing a Team When You Can't Manage a Team
- Quarter Pole Evaluation: Using Rates to Find True Standings
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Matt Adams
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Lonnie Chisenhall
- Jose is Okay
- Why I Won't Bid on Correa (and most draftees)
- ottoneu Waiver Wire: Multiple Position Temps
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Furbush, Villarreal, Berry, Miley
- Trade Me C.J. Wilson
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Braves Starting Pitchers
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Ryan Ludwick and Jake Westbrook
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Lucas Duda
- Don't Get Fooled: Finishing Strong in Points Leagues
- New and Improved ottoneu Arbitration Process
- 10 Bold Predictions Re-visited
- The Best (ottoneu) Team Money Can Buy
- Fantasy Awards: An Occasionally Dissenting Opinion
- ottoneu Arbitration Guide
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): C Edition
- ottoneu Hitter Rankings with Bill James Projections
- My ottoneu Year's Resolutions
- Why Picking Your Projection System Matters
- ottoneu Trade Review: FanGraphs Experts League
- Rebuild, Retool, or Restock: Prepping for Year 2+ in ottoneu
- The Quest to Predict HR/FB Rate, Part 2
- Comparing Player Values Across ottoneu Scoring Systems
- The Quest to Predict HR/FB Rate, Part 5
- The No-Plan Plan: Prepping for a Year One ottoneu Auction
- ottoneu Values Refreshed
- Breaking from Consensus: Where ottoneu Rankings Differ
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Opening Day Auctions
- The Waiting Game: Balancing the Use of SP in ottoneu
- Reasons to Believe in Brandon Crawford
- Know When to Fold'em
- Handling the Monday/Thursday Blues
- Know When to Fold'Em, Reprised
- I'm Old and I'm Swinging for the Fences: Raul Ibanez, Power Producer
- Ryan Braun: ottoneu Trade Target
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Phillies Edition (and also an Astro)
- Chain Reaction: What Happens When Ryan Braun Gets Cut
- Could Lasik Help Dan Uggla?
- Playoff Strategy: Reacquainting Myself with H2H Leagues
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Top Final Week Auctions
- Soft Innings Caps and ottoneu Strategy
- Reconsidering My Player Valuation Method
- Arbitration by Team Rather than Player
- Fielder Headed to Homer Haven (Right?)
- Fantasy Scoring for Real Baseball
- Valuing Opportunity
- Kelly Johnson and Scott Sizemore: Deep League MI Options
- Carlos Santana - Fantasy 3B?
- Final Decisions in ottoneu
- ottoneu Post-Keeper Deadline Round Up
- Auction Assets: What I Bring to an ottoneu Auction
- Finding the Victory in Victorino
- Recovering from a Blown Auction
- Handling Long-Term Injuries in ottoneu
- The Right Time to Buy TJ Returnees
- Should You Worry About Justin Masterson?
- The Shrinking Jean Segura Trade Market
- Michael Brantley: Better than you Think
- A Less Balanced Country Breakfast
- Ike Davis and the Missing HR
- Chasing Chase: Why You Should Consider Headley
- Revisiting Justin Masterson
- A Quick Look at June Breakouts
- ottoneu Bidding on Rusney Castillo
- Cutting Star Players in ottoneu
- Yan is the Man, and Could be for a While
- ottoneu Trade Targets (and Trade Bait): (IF Edition)
- ottoneu Trade Targets (and Trade Bait): OF and SP
- Auction Values for ottoneu leagues
- Variance in Keeper Strategies in ottoneu
- Pricing RP in ottoneu
- Buy or Sell on Hard Hit%
- How Much is Too Much to Acquire Mike Trout?
- The Value of Top MLB Draft Picks in ottoneu
- Ignoring Arbitration in ottoneu
- Getting Aggressive (or not) in the H2H Post-Season
- Is Trout Worth It?
- ottoneu Arbitration Results
- Surplus vs. Roster - Building and Evaluating Trades
- When (and why) to Ignore Projections
- Player Values Across ottoneu Formats
- Evaluating a Slow Auction
- Using Projected Standings to Set Strategy
- Young Guns: 2015's Top Eleven Rookie Pitchers
The 2015 season featured the emergence of a whole passel of top-flight young arms. And these pitchers weren't just appearing on rubble-clearing franchises like the Phillies. Five of the top 11 rookie
- NERD Game Scores: Young Joe Ross Viewing Opportunity
Highly Rated Game
New York NL at Washington | 19:05 ET
deGrom (113.2 IP, 81 xFIP-) vs. Ross (20.1 IP, 55 xFIP-)
Today represents an excellent one for those interested in observing talented young
- Quiz: Delmon Young or Delwyn Young?
regarding at least a few baseball-related things. It's time to play America's favorite game: Delmon Young or Delwyn Young?
Take the quiz below to find out if you are ready for the upcoming season
- The Young Dilemma
The big news of the day in baseball is that the Texas Rangers have officially asked Michael Young to move to third base to make room for hot prospect Elvis Andrus, and that he was offended enough
- "Young" Buccs
The dust has settled after a mini-fury of deals for the Pirates, and it looks like a couple young outfielders ended up gaining some playing time. The bad news is that, beyond wunderkind Andrew
- Brad Miller and Chris Getz: MI Waiver Wire Help
Let's face it, even in leagues of 10 to 12 teams, the waiver wire is looking pretty bleak. Every once in a while you get to fight for some hit, young rookie like we all did for Christian Yelich
- Chris Archer May Not Be Using His Best Out Pitch
velocity generally leads to more whiffs, and you can trade whiffs for a few more grounders if you reduce the gap in velocity. Pavlidis specifically mentioned Chris Archer when detailing his findings
- Chris Heisey & Samuel Deduno: Deep League Waiver Wire
in fantasy, and given their past success, that might be enough to make them worthwhile in deeper leagues.
Chris Heisey / OF / Cincinnati Reds
2 percent Yahoo / .2 percent ESPN / 7 percent CBS ownership
- Mustache Watch: Cy Young
Denton True "Cy" Young was a great pitcher ...
Denton True "Cy" Young was also a great mustachioed pitcher. Denton True "Cy" Young was also a great chinless pitcher. And, as Venn Diagrams
- Young Curtis Granderson
Young Curtis Granderson's mustache has been described as "effortful."
While others see in Young Curtis Granderson's choice of collars faint hints of militarism or marchingbandism, Young
- Young Lance Berkman
Young Lance Berkman, although generally quite happy, affects for all photos a look he calls, "brooding teenage thunder."
Young Lance Berkman is wearing a paisley cummerbund (not pictured
- Young Ryan Braun
Young Ryan Braun isn't smiling because "intent with Buick-like seriousness" are his factory settings.
Young Ryan Braun doesn't like posed senior portraits.
Young Ryan Braun doesn't like
- Next Quiz: Delmon Young or Other Type of Young?
In the not very distant past (i.e. 45 minutes ago) my colleague David Temple challenged the readership to answer certain questions about Delwyn and Delmon Young -- and to establish