- Chris Archer Conquers Lefties
Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Chris Archer lived up to expectations in 2014. While Archer's performance during his rookie season was strong, there were still some questions about his ability moving forward
- Another Year of Yordano Ventura
- What Corey Kluber Winning the Cy Young Tells Us
Corey Kluber won the American League Cy Young Award on Wednesday, beating Seattle's Felix Hernandez by 10 points, with 17 first place votes to Felix's 13. In doing so, Kluber became the first Indians
- The AL Cy Young Can't Go Wrong, or Right
Though we won't know the winner of the 2014 American League Cy Young Award until later Wednesday, we've already been given some clues. The BBWAA has told us the three finalists are Felix Hernandez
- Starling Marte and Dealing with Personal Bias
the finest season of his young career, solidifying himself as one of the better young outfielders in the game. Looking over that article now, I realize that while the research seemed to fit, I let my
- ottoneu Arbitration: Who's Getting Hit?
FanGraphs Staff League 2
Thanks to the tie among players in the Experts league, that is 12 players across
- Avoid Rookies with your ottoneu Allocations
over two years, $33 to Bryant.
Instead, let's assume Bryant is a bust. His power doesn't translate, or he can't hit MLB breaking pitches or something. Instead of Stanton, he is Delmon Young
- Yan is the Man, and Could be for a While
- Chad Young's Ten Bold Predictions Revisited
- Salazar was the #3 Indians SP in fantasy. 1-2.
4. Chris Tillman will prove to be a draft day steal (but not in most ottoneu leagues). Like Dominguez, I saw a solid second half and hoped for good things
- Will the AL Cy Young Voting Reflect That the Race is Dead Even?
The winner of the 2014 American League Cy Young Award is going to be either Felix Hernandez or Corey Kluber. Yes, indeed, there are other worthwhile candidates, and yes, you can argue whether Chris
- Finding High Ball Hitters with Chris Young
Recently, I pointed out to Chris Young that he may have been right about how the league was going. Jeff Sullivan found that contact rates on pitches high in the zone are down. David Appelman helped
- Cutting Star Players in ottoneu
- ottoneu Bidding on Rusney Castillo
- Dodgers Righty Chris Anderson Flashes Big Stuff
The writer still grades the tools based on what they saw, I’m just letting the reader know what he would’ve seen in many other games from this season, particularly with young players that may
- Corey Kluber as a Cy Young Candidate
in a more pitcher-friendly ballpark than Cleveland's. Felix isn't Chris Young -- he isn't engineered to get the maximum benefit out of Safeco's dimensions and air -- but pitcher-friendly is pitcher
- Applying KATOH to Historical Prospects
- Where Chris Davis is Really Struggling
It's not so bad in the bigger picture. Since the start of last season, Chris Davis has been worth more than seven wins, equal on our pages to the contribution from Jayson Werth. That's not quite
- Trading Scherzer (aka, the Difficulties of Valuing an Ace)
also has future value. He just turned 30 (Sunday, in fact - Happy Birthday, Max!), which isn't young, but isn't Jamie Moyer, either. Scherzer has consistently taken his rotation turns, hitting the 195
- Chris Young and Dropping the Fastball
a look at that for 2014, inspired by something I've noticed about Chris Young. I've had a note to write about this for a week or two. I guess now I've waited long enough.
The idea: We're going
- Balancing Future and Present at the Deadline
Kimbrel, Adam Wainwright) he and I have repeatedly debated the merits of those stars and my young up-and-comers.
So far, we have yet to find a match. Part of this was Brad's attempt to neuter my 2015
- What to do with Prince Fielder?
ancient, it is not young either. It is not unreasonable to think that his 2013 performance was the start of a legitimate decline phase.
Let's check out a couple other "bad body" first basemen
- Chris Young: Is It Real, Or Is It Safeco?
the vagaries of context. This just in, though - FIP is far from perfect itself. Case in point - Chris Young, the NBA-sized righty now plying his trade for the Seattle Mariners, currently possesses
- A Quick Look at June Breakouts
- Revisiting Justin Masterson
- Time to Buy or Sell?
positions. Big mistake.
The next piece of the puzzle is how well situated you are to buy (or sell) even if you want to. In the original ottoneu league, I over-indexed on young prospects (David
- 2014 Draft Chat with Chris Crawford
, though you get a kid in your system young enough you can fix some things. That's a really good question.4:13Comment From Darth StoutWhere can I (we) find the total draft pool money available to each
- Chasing Chase: Why You Should Consider Headley
- Chris Young Challenges the Data
"You should go look at the research again and see what the charts say," Chris Young, the Seattle Mariners pitcher, emphatically told me one afternoon this season. We were talking about high fastballs
- Ike Davis and the Missing HR
- Nick Castellanos is Channeling Chris Johnson
- A Less Balanced Country Breakfast
- Chris Heisey & Samuel Deduno: Deep League Waiver Wire
in fantasy, and given their past success, that might be enough to make them worthwhile in deeper leagues.
Chris Heisey / OF / Cincinnati Reds
2 percent Yahoo / .2 percent ESPN / 7 percent CBS ownership
- NL Starter Tiers -- May 2014
, as it's been two starts. Teheran and Cole are too young guys with plenty of potential, but it would be nice to get a few more strikeouts right now.
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
- Michael Brantley: Better than you Think
- The Shrinking Jean Segura Trade Market
- Baseball America Top 10 Prospects Retrospective: Part 1
As he posted these increasingly good season at such a young age (21-23) and on some pretty good Braves teams, he looked to be one of the next
- Should You Worry About Justin Masterson?
- Young Relievers Lighting Up Leaderboards, Radar Guns
, Drew Storen went from talented rookie set-up man to closer on a suddenly not terrible Nationals team. In their wake, young relievers like Kenley Jansen, Kelvin Herrera, Trevor Rosenthal, Addison Reed
- In Celebration of Chris Sale
. The AL is home to a handful of truly excellent pitchers, and differentiating between them is the ultimate in picking nits. The last four Cy Young Awards have been won by Max Scherzer (still awesome
- The Right Time to Buy TJ Returnees
- Chris Archer, Jose Quintana, and Risk Valuation
million deal with the Pirates. A couple of years ago, Madison Bumgarner, Jon Niese, Derek Holland, and Chris Sale all signed long term deals with very similar parameters at similar levels of service
- Handling Long-Term Injuries in ottoneu
- 2014 RotoGraphs Staff Picks
Best Sophomore Pitcher
- Chad Young's 10 Bold Predictions
. Chris Tillman will prove to be a draft day steal (but not in most ottoneu leagues)
You can call him the Matt Dominguez of pitchers, if you want. Check out the second half: 3.42 ERA, more than 8.5 K/9
- Chris Cwik's Bold Predictions for 2014
- Recovering from a Blown Auction
- Finding the Victory in Victorino
- Blue Jays Outfield: Time for A Bounce Back
still relatively young. With Rasmus set to be a free-agent following the season, there's a chance the team will want to see what Gose can do, particularly late in the season. It's unclear what Gose
- Handling a Timid Auction
at playing time questions. I needed depth in MI so I grabbed both Scooter Gennett and Rickie Weeks, along with Chris Owings. I needed OF help, so Corey Dickerson found a spot on my roster.
- The Nationals Outfield: Is this the Year?
with an MVP-caliber season. The good thing is, Harper was able to post those numbers while dealing with injuries that required offseason surgery. At age-21, the sky really is the limit for the young
- Auction Assets: What I Bring to an ottoneu Auction
- ottoneu Prospecting for Non-Scouts
who are not actually prospects, but are young, talented and yet to break out. This year, I'd put Nick Franklin in that camp - you can't count on him to play, he is no longer a prospect, but if you
- Michael Young's Three Most Significant Hits
that the available offers are not attractive enough to be worth it and retire. This seems to have been the case with Michael Young, who announced his retirement last week. He retired as as a member
- The Cubs Infield: Can the Youngsters Bounce Back?
Nothing seemed to go right for the Chicago Cubs in 2013. While the team wasn't expected to be good, it had a young core of players who could contribute to the next winner on the North Side. Virtually
- ottoneu Post-Keeper Deadline Round Up
- Final Decisions in ottoneu
- Carlos Santana - Fantasy 3B?
- Inserting Delmon Young's Name Into Works of "Literature"
I didn’t want to do two of these so close together, but then Delmon Young had to go and sign with the Baltimore Orioles this week, meaning it’s once again time for the royal We to insert Delmon Young
- Kelly Johnson and Scott Sizemore: Deep League MI Options
- Counting on Corbin
and 15th (Chris Sale, Homer Bailey, Felix Hernandez, A.J. Burnett, and Stephen Strasburg) posted the following K/9: 9.49, 8.57, 9.51, 9.85, and 9.39. Corbin’s 7.69 certainly looks like an outlier
- Chris Archer May Not Be Using His Best Out Pitch
velocity generally leads to more whiffs, and you can trade whiffs for a few more grounders if you reduce the gap in velocity. Pavlidis specifically mentioned Chris Archer when detailing his findings
- Looking Back at 2013
relatively equal targets if only because of the uncertainty around the production and health of any young pitcher. I won't go so far as to say that I predicted Harvey's injury, but making the decision
- Valuing Opportunity
- Jose Fernandez Ready For Year Two
the hard part. Fernandez will have to prove that he's capable of doing it again. While there's always a significant risk involved in putting too much stock in young pitchers, Fernandez has already put
- Update on a Deep League Roster Reconstruction
, but felt that my young pitching staff allowed me to shop him and this was easily the best offer I got. Lee and Anderson are not nothing, but neither of them are guys I care much about. Lee could still turn
- Fantasy Scoring for Real Baseball
- Mets Land Bargain in Chris Young
. On that list was Chris Young -- the outfield version -- who the crowd forecast for $7 million per year over two years. Today, the Mets have signed for him $7 million for a single year, and I continue
- Fielder Headed to Homer Haven (Right?)
- ottoneu Vote Off Results
. As we discussed on Twitter last night, the player voted off most often was none other than Chris Davis. When you consider where we started this piece (voting off players with the largest gap between
- Martin Perez and Extensions For Young Pitchers
Last week, the Texas Rangers caught many off-guard when they announced they had signed young left-hander Martin Perez to a four-year deal that guarantees the pitcher $12.5 million dollars. Perez has
- Max Scherzer Is Going to Win the Cy Young, And That's Okay
When the American League Cy Young Award winner is announced on Wednesday night, Detroit's Max Scherzer is almost certainly going to defeat Yu Darvish of the Rangers and Seattle's Hisashi Iwakuma
- Arbitration by Team Rather than Player
- Reconsidering My Player Valuation Method
- Cleaning Up Another's Mess: Taking Over Abandoned Teams
, a 20-team, 45-man-roster monstrosity, I am quickly discovering that almost every owner is focused on acquiring young talent, including prospects, with the hopes of hitting it big. This makes a lot of sense
- ottoneu Arbitration Update
(those teams are all mine, actually, and I can explain why I did that).
Let's start with a table:
- Soft Innings Caps and ottoneu Strategy
- An ottoneu View of End of Season Ranks
Earlier this week, Zach Sanders shared end of year fantasy rankings, providing a position-adjusted view of who provided the most (Chris Davis) and least (Barry Zito) value among qualified players
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Chris Young
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: Chris Young.
- 10 Bold Predictions Revisited
of the power being there but the PA lacking - Hamilton just didn't have the pop people expected.
6. Chris Tillman will be a top-20 AL SP. Tillman finished just outside the top 20 (22nd) in ottoneu points
- How Good is Manny Machado?
. It's fairly rare for players as young as Machado to be in the majors, let alone perform at a near-MVP level. Harper and Trout may have received all the headlines last season, but Machado has forced his way
- The Quality of Opposition Factor in the AL Cy Young Race
The AL Cy Young race has gotten pretty interesting. A month ago, Max Scherzer looked like a near lock, with his glistening 19-1 record and strong peripherals that supported the idea that he'd
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Top Final Week Auctions
- The Guys You Just Can't Quit
overlooked, as Ackley seemed to be the young 2B on every fantasy owner's shopping list. And when Kipnis tore the cover off the ball in his initial call-up, I was hooked. Even through some rough stretches, I
- The Maturation of Ian Desmond
-old, it wasn't as if Desmond was a young prospect figuring things out. Just when it looked like he was a lost cause, Desmond started to figure things out. Over the past two seasons, he's taken himself
- Playoff Strategy: Reacquainting Myself with H2H Leagues
- Chris Owings and the Uncertain Arizona Shortstop Situation
The Diamondbacks recalled shortstop Chris Owings to the big leagues a few days ago as part of the September roster expansion, and any time you get an infielder in his age-21 season who just won both
- Pirates Getting it Done with Pitching
pitchers rank fifth with a 3.49 FIP. Aside from Gerrit Cole, the team hasn't seen major contributions from their young prospects yet. Instead, the team has seen huge payoffs from the most unlikely
- Pricing Pujols
more like .850 (6th among 1B) and his downside is a fall as low as .740 (tied with Chris Carter for 24th among 1B), his ottoneu value could range anywhere from $1-$3 (for near replacement level
- Concerning Chris Archer's Future; A Disappointing Comparison
as fascinated with young talent as those title-starved Indians fans drinking their reasonably priced beverages, and one player who's caught my eye this year is Chris Archer, the 24-year-old, flame-throwing
- Chris Sale: More Than Just a Slider
Chris Sale was far from a polished pitcher by the time he was drafted by the White Sox. Armed with two above-average pitches, some analysts believed he was bound for the bullpen. But in his brief
- Could Lasik Help Dan Uggla?
- Hiroki Kuroda's Case for the Cy Young Award
better seasons), Max Scherzer and Anibal Sanchez (two non-Verlander Tigers having big years), Yu Darvish (strikeout machine), Chris Sale (great pitcher on a bad team), and Derek Holland (finally living
- Chain Reaction: What Happens When Ryan Braun Gets Cut
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Phillies Edition (and also an Astro)
- Brad Miller and Chris Getz: MI Waiver Wire Help
Let's face it, even in leagues of 10 to 12 teams, the waiver wire is looking pretty bleak. Every once in a while you get to fight for some hit, young rookie like we all did for Christian Yelich
- Ryan Braun: ottoneu Trade Target
- Trade Chris Sale? Odds Say No
, have a problem with his column encouraging the White Sox to deal Chris Sale.
It’s not that the idea is without merit; he provides some solid reasoning, but when you consider all of the factors at play
- B.J. Upton, Chris Davis and Breakouts
Chris Davis owners are experiencing an unexpected surprise this season. Instead of a possible corner infield or injury replacement, they have one of the top players in the league for pennies
- Jose Quintana's Steady Improvement
only improved slightly. Instead of being a back-of-the-rotation guy, Quintana has shown enough ability to probably survive as a three-starter. On a White Sox team lacking young pitching talent
- Players Who are Helping You Win
and total points accrued this year (the standings are drawn across all ottoneu leagues).
- I'm Old and I'm Swinging for the Fences: Raul Ibanez, Power Producer
- Know When to Fold'Em, Reprised
- The Development of Tyler Chatwood
than 23. And given how young he is, it's reasonable to expect some development from Chatwood. Chatwood was a second-round draft pick, and appeared on Baseball America's 2011 Top 100 Prospects list
- Handling the Monday/Thursday Blues
- Potential ottoneu Value in Minors: Davis, Ackley, Chisenhall
Prior to the start of the season, I pursued a handful of players who I thought were due for big seasons. Some of these players - Brandon Moss, Julio Teheran, Chris Tillman among them - served me
- 2013 NL Starting Pitcher Tiers: June
Young starting pitchers continue to make their presence known this year. Since the last NL pitcher rankings, owners have seen Tyler Skaggs, Michael Wacha, Gerrit Cole and, soon, Zack Wheeler reach
- Trade Dilemma - Rizzo or Harvey, or maybe Verlander
and 149.1 IP for Harvey) and both have impressed over that time (25 HR, 75 R, 87 RBI, .271 AVG for Rizzo; 9.94 K/9, 2.35 ERA, 1.00 WHIP for Harvey).
Harvey's stats are Cy Young caliber while
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Catcher Edition
Among a slew of pitchers, there are three catchers whose names appear on the list of most auctioned players in the ottoneu world: Jason Castro, Chris Iannetta and Yan Gomes.
Catcher has been
- The Perils of Young Pitching, Featuring Skaggs & Gausman
Young pitching is killing it this year. My staffs, full of Matt Harvey, Shelby Miller, Jose Fernandez and David Phelps are treating me very well right now. From one standpoint, it makes a lot
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Cody Allen and John Lackey
against weaker competition (his last start notwithstanding).
Allen has emerged as a popular pick up following the injury to Cleveland closer Chris Perez, and gained some steam thanks Colin
- Buying & Selling: NL Starters
this year as well. Unless that hard slider starts appearing, you might try and sell Cashner as a young pitcher who has finally figured things out.
Buy low: Brewers SP Marco Estrada
In some ways
- Trades in a Vacuum
player at a good price with a track record of success can still be young enough and can still qualify as a great value. I was asked about a deal the other day involving Adam Jones and Dexter Fowler
- A Perfect Storm For Kevin Slowey
, the BrooksBaseball site agrees, classifying the pitch to Michael Young as a slider and the pitch to Delmon Young as a curve.
His slider is hardly an elite offering, but it's an upgrade over
- Know When to Fold'em
- Tony Cingrani, Shelby Miller and the Two-Pitch Approach
that sticks out is Chris Young. Young has able to get by with a middling fastball due to the deception in his size and delivery. The term "deception" is often mentioned with both Cingrani and Miller
- Early Batted Ball Distance Gainers and Losers
. And his 2013 distance outpaces, among others, Bryce Harper and Chris Davis. So it's not like he isn't hitting the ball hard.
That got me thinking, though - there must be players who are absolutely
- Chris Archer & Danny Hultzen: Waiver Wire
to consider adding Chris Archer and Danny Hultzen.
Tampa Bay Rays
Owners should know
- Reasons to Believe in Brandon Crawford
- The Waiting Game: Balancing the Use of SP in ottoneu
- Preaching Patience with R.A. Dickey
R.A. Dickey came into the season with more concerns than the typical reigning Cy Young. He did not have the long track record of elite success in the majors, and was moving to a more difficult league
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Opening Day Auctions
- Chris Cwik's 10 Bold Predictions For the 2013 Fantasy Season
- Chris Young Is Not A Minor League Pitcher
A victim of what amounts to one of the deeper stables of starting pitching, Chris Young opted out of his contract with the Washington Nationals with the hopes that he could find a major league role
- Chad Young's Ten Bold Predictions for 2013
of the season.
6) Chris Tillman will be a top-20 AL SP. His velocity faded last year, his ERA was far healthier than his peripherals would suggest it should have been, and he had some elbow soreness
- Breaking from Consensus: Where ottoneu Rankings Differ
- Rays Rotation: Depth Chart Discussions
perspective. The reigning AL Cy Young winner, is consistent. Over the last three seasons, Price has tossed over 200 innings. His strikeout rate, which was already a strong 21.8% in 2010, has risen
- ottoneu Values Refreshed
- White Sox Looking to Lock Up Chris Sale
From the esteemed Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago:
White Sox pitcher Chris Sale confirmed Tuesday his representatives have had discussions with the club about a contract extension.
- Breaking from Consensus: Where ottoneu Rankings Differ
Chris Nelson is a wasted roster spot (37th in the consensus) or a solid MI option (16th in ottoneu PAR). The answer probably lies somewhere in between, but the reality is that Nelson's value is much
- Will Adrian Gonzalez Rebound?
provided in the past. The culprit of his struggles wasn't an injury, and, at age-31, Gonzalez is still young enough to stave off a major performance decline. Those factors have made Gonzalez one
- Cardinals Rotation: Depth Chart Discussions
. There was some thought that Lynn would wind up back in the bullpen based on the Cardinals' young pitching talent, but Chris Carpenter's injury all but assures Lynn will reprise his role as a starter. As Jim
- When Patience is Not a Virtue: The Experts League Auction
- Texas Rangers Bullpen: Depth Chart Discussions
with age-related decline as he enters his age-35 season. Those veterans will join a young, yet, otherwise promising bullpen in Texas.
The only concern about Nathan this season is his age. At 38-years
- Texas Rangers Infield: Depth Chart Discussions
him one of the best second basemen in fantasy baseball. There was some talk of him shifting to first base to accomodate one of the team's young prospects, but it hasn't happened yet. He wouldn't
- Rankings-Based Planning: Preparing for Year 2+ in ottoneu
- Making Sense of Justin Ruggiano
in the minors. Most of these guys get their brief major-league appearance, and are pushed off the roster the following season by a more promising young player. That's essentially what happened with Ruggiano
- The No-Plan Plan: Prepping for a Year One ottoneu Auction
- Can Trevor Cahill Improve Again?
seems like a long time, he's still young, not turning 25 until March. Because of that, it's still plausible to think there's a chance for Cahill to get even better.
Strikeout rate isn't
- Do Number One Prospects Succeed Immediately?
- Chris Carpenter Hurt and Probably Finished
that the news conference would have to do with Chris Carpenter's future, and many began to expect a retirement announcement. Carpenter has not retired, but retirement doesn't appear to be far off
- The Quest to Predict HR/FB Rate, Part 5
- ottoneu Cut Day Fallout
tied for being kept by the most owners, a list dominated by young stars and breakout performers:
- Chad Young ottoneu deadline chat -- 1/31/13
I will be by from 10-11pm ET tonight to chat before the ottoneu deadline. The queue will open well before, so get your questions in!
Chad Young -- Fantasy Baseball Chat
- The Quest to Predict HR/FB Rate, Part 2
- Comparing Player Values Across ottoneu Scoring Systems
- How Good Is Salvador Perez?
the ninth best WAR among young catchers over that period. If you're a skeptic, it's easy to look at Perez's strong fielding numbers, and point to those as the reason he ranks that high on the list
- Rebuild, Retool, or Restock: Prepping for Year 2+ in ottoneu
- Chris Tillman: Sleeper
Chris Tillman is going to be a very popular pick at the end of most drafts this season. Every year, there are a couple of guys that get touted all offseason, causing other owners to make a fuss when
- Next Quiz: Delmon Young or Other Type of Young?
In the not very distant past (i.e. 45 minutes ago) my colleague David Temple challenged the readership to answer certain questions about Delwyn and Delmon Young -- and to establish
- Quiz: Delmon Young or Delwyn Young?
regarding at least a few baseball-related things. It's time to play America's favorite game: Delmon Young or Delwyn Young?
Take the quiz below to find out if you are ready for the upcoming season
- ottoneu Trade Review: FanGraphs Experts League
- The Michael Morse Approach
is not a young player. Morse will turn 31 before the start of next season. At that age, most of the players on the list with Morse's skill set were either out of baseball, or seeing limited playing
- Why Picking Your Projection System Matters
- My ottoneu Year's Resolutions
- Young Pitchers and Complete Games
A couple of weeks ago, I was helping fellow writer, Chris Cwik, look for possible reasons James McDonald fell off the cliff in the second half of the 2012 season. As Cwik pointed out, the 27-year-old
- What Will Wade Miley Do Next?
more decent years in him, and Jordan Zimmermann looks to be on a promising track, but is still young. Alejandro Pena, Atlee Hammaker and Mark Mulder fell off a bit following their age-25 season. Mulder
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): SP Edition
- Can R.A. Dickey Repeat?
came together last year. Six seasons after he started tinkering with the pitch, Dickey seemed to finally master the knuckleball. He was rewarded with the Cy Young award, and finished first overall
- ottoneu Pitcher Rankings with Bill James Projections
- The Second Breakout of Jason Heyward
to re-establish himself as one of the best young players in the game. At an age where some prospects are still in the minors, Heyward has already managed to churn out two highly productive major
- ottoneu Hitter Rankings with Bill James Projections
- What's Next For Bryce Harper?
, Harper had emerged as one of the team's best offensive players. Had it not been for Mike Trout, Harper would have received even more accolades for his accomplishments at such a young age. Harper
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): OF Edition
- Fantasy Awards: An Occasionally Dissenting Opinion
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): C Edition
- Chris Young the Athletic
No, I'm not alluding to Alexander the Great or commenting on Chris Young's agility, which I'm sure he possesses boatloads of. Back on October 20, Young came to the Beane, as he was traded to Oakland
- Chris Youngs and Occupying Extremes
, and one notes that Outfielder Chris Young has a career 16.3 WAR, while Pitcher Chris Young has a career 16.3 RA9 WAR. It's never been a secret that Pitcher Chris Young occupies an extreme. Two
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): SS Edition
- Young Ryan Theriot
The name on Young Ryan Theriot's fake ID reads, "Fraternity Paddle Made Man."
"Are you the quarterback?" Angel Boudreux once asked Young Ryan Theriot. No, I play baseball, Young Ryan Theriot
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): 3B Edition
The other three ottoneu loves with fantasy relevance are Daniel Murphy, Chris Johnson, and David Freese. The first two jumped four spots each (from 20 to 16 and 22 to 18, respectively), while Freese
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): 2B Edition
, but wasn't really rosterable in ottoneu.
- Pro-rating players to 650 PA gave Allen Craig a boost from 8th to 3rd and turned Michael Cuddyer, Chase Utley and Chris Nelson into studs ranked 5th, 6th
- Howie Kendrick: Still Fantasy Relevant?
The legend of Howie Kendrick was written prematurely. If you were playing fantasy baseball in 2006, there's a good chance you heard about a young Angels prospect named Howie Kendrick. Most
- Athletics Stockpile Another Asset in Chris Young
Crisp on hand. Saturday, Beane added another outfielder to the mix, acquiring Chris Young from Arizona in exchange for Cliff Pennington and infield prospect Yordy Cabrera.
The situations aren't
- ottoneu Arbitration Guide
- Chris Carpenter: Too Diminished to Start?
Chris Carpenter did not have a good game on Monday. He only struck out one batter in four innings, and though he only allowed two earned runs in his four innings, he did surrender eight baserunners
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): 1B Edition
Freeman, Allen Craig, Mark Trumbo, Chris Davis), none had a higher OBP than Swisher. Similarly, Joe Mauer's low power output may have hampered his 5x5 ranking (12th), but he became a nearly first
- Young's Time In Arizona Likely Coming to an End
, as non-performance factors must be taken into consideration.
The Diamondbacks currently have Justin Upton, Chris Young, Adam Eaton, Jason Kubel and Gerardo Parra under contract. Upton is the most
- It's a Jake Sale! AL Fantasy Cy Young
of series, not necessarily the best player.
To that end, we need to award the American League Cy Young to the pitcher who provided you the most production for the least possible cost. And among
- The Best (ottoneu) Team Money Can Buy
- Two Lessons for Next Season
waiting for a breakout. On the other hand, Jason Heyward and Buster Posey immediately produced. While there's some upside in young guys, there's also a fair amount of risk. Harper and Trout succeeded
- 10 Bold Predictions Re-visited
- FanGraphs Audio: Rays Right-Hander Chris Archer
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks with young Tampa Bay Rays right-hander Chris Archer.
Don't hesitate to direct pod-related correspondence to @cistulli on Twitter
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Late Season Pick Ups
against Houston, and there is no reason to think he can't provide a solid line to help you with the race to the finish.
Chris Nelson - Nelson has been written up numerous times, and there is always
- Young Ichiro
Young Ichiro wonders what all the commotion is about.
Young Ichiro, if forced to put a name on his look -- and he wouldn't do it unless you forced him -- might call it the "Doctor of Love
- New and Improved ottoneu Arbitration Process
- Don't Get Fooled: Finishing Strong in Points Leagues
- Three Deals and a (Very Expensive) Keeper
) gives up: Michael Wacha ($3), Yasiel Puig ($4), and Dan Vogelbach ($3)
TSD gives up: Josh Johnson ($30), Chris Perez ($6), Alex Gordon ($31), Hanley Ramirez ($50), and $107 in loan
TSD again made
- Chris Young Next to Regular-Sized People: Jason Bay
Here's an image -- following Jason Bay's first-inning grand slam during last night's Mets-Marlins game -- an image of right-handed pitcher Chris Young next to the aforementioned Bay, a regular-sized
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Lucas Duda
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Ryan Ludwick and Jake Westbrook
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Braves Starting Pitchers
- Buyer's Guide: The ottoneu Trade Deadline
production in case he isn't back in time to help, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
1) Prospects are not your only assets. Everyone starts with the prospects. Sellers want young pieces
- Mike Olt's Arrival May End The Michael Young Era
end of the Michael Young Era in Texas. At least, the era where Young played any kind of meaningful role on the team.
Young's been a staple in Texas since 2001, and contributed at least +2.5 WAR
- Sellers Guide: The ottoneu Trade Deadline
3) Prospects and cheap guys are not always the best targets. You want guys who can help you win, not guys who make you young. In the aforementioned experts league, I would love to add a $40 stud
- Buy, Sell, or Stand - The Plight of a Team (Maybe) on the Verge
other young talent to try to add at least one more high-average, high-speed bat and at least one more SP. It means depleting a farm system I have spent two years building and that could be on the edge
- Trade Me C.J. Wilson
- Red Sox Have Too Many Outfielders
is an easy bet to be sent down. He's young — and he's part of the team's future — but his performance doesn't justify keeping him on the roster this season. Podsednik is probably the next player
- The Rockies Should Trade Michael Cuddyer
has a reputation as a great guy and a team leader, which is one of the reasons O'Dowd may keep him on the team. But in order for this team to compete, they are going to need useful, young players
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Furbush, Villarreal, Berry, Miley
- ottoneu Waiver Wire: Multiple Position Temps
- Keep an Eye on José Quintana?
. This year, however, things are a bit different. They've received surprise performances by Chris Sale and Jake Peavy, but their normal rotation stalwarts -- John Danks and Gavin Floyd -- have floundered
- Why I Won't Bid on Correa (and most draftees)
- The Two Chris Youngs
We all know there's the absurdly tall Chris Young, the talented pitcher who refuses to stay healthy and then there's also the absurdly athletic Chris Young who patrols center field in Arizona and has
- Jose is Okay
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Lonnie Chisenhall
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Matt Adams
- Royals Lose Danny Duffy for the Season
of soreness, they let Duffy see if he could overcome it. While he was able to put off surgery for two starts, both sides probably knew this was inevitable.
The Royals still have a lot of young talent
- Quarter Pole Evaluation: Using Rates to Find True Standings
- Managing a Team When You Can't Manage a Team
- ottoneu Points League Standings Analysis
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Most Active Current Auctions
- A.J. Pollock Benefits from Chris Young Injury
The Arizona Diamondbacks have gone fishing for a replacement for injured outfielder Chris Young. The organization purchased the contract of prospect A.J. Pollock from triple-A.
Prior to the 2012
- Estimating a Buster Posey Contract Extension
The San Francisco Giants want to lock up their young stars. After signing both Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner to long-term contracts, the Giants have now reached out to Buster Posey's agent about
- Who You Are Signing: Latest Adds in ottoneu
- Why I am Not Only Keeping But Targeting Kyle Seager in ottoneu Leagues
- Young Marty Brennaman
Young Marty Brennaman often refers to his choices in neckwear as "the Cadillac of ties, baby."
Young Marty Brennaman knows that sometimes a gentleman prefers roasted lamb with mint jelly
- Chronicles of ottoneu: FanGraphs Experts League, Year Two
Neil FitzGerald (BaseballHQ)
Tom Keppy (BaseballHQ)
James Quintong (ESPN)
Jack Moore (RotoHardball, FanGraphs)
Eno Sarris (FanGraphs)
Chad Young (ottoneu, FanGraphs)
- Who Will Close for the White Sox?
to be that good, and they could see what they have in the young guys if the team struggles. Thornton is the best bet, but there's no telling where the White Sox may turn in a few months. Whoever the team
- ottoneu Watchlist Wonders
call them Watchlist Wonders -- guys who are worth adding to your ottoneu watchlist and, depending on your team needs, worth starting an auction for.
Chris Nelson, 2B/3B/SS, Colorado - Nelson
- 2012 Organizational Rankings: #24 -- Chicago White Sox
not necessarily young, Alejandro De Aza emerged as a solid center fielder last year.
Chris Sale may be the most exciting young player on the team, but there are some legitimate questions about how
- Matt Bush Arrested for DUI
case, but still received multiple chances based on his potential. Delmon Young once threw a bat at an umpire, but the Rays stuck by him due to his prospect status - at least, until they realized he
- ottoneu Trade Recap: Shipping out the Panda
hopes for Goldschmidt (and I do!) but he is an unproven talent at a deep position, while Sandoval is a young star with a track record at a position that is...less deep.
But, my friends, context
- How to Handle the Tokyo Dome
- Rangers Extend Holland
. Trevor Cahill only saw a slight bump in his WAR last season, but Lester and Gallardo both had significantly better seasons after signing their deals. Holland is still young, and his performance last
- 3 Guys I Won't Buy in 2012 ottoneu Leagues
and a bunch of injury time), you'll be cutting him. There are reasons to be optimistic about the Tribe SS (mostly that he's still young enough to have a legit break out) but a sudden boost in HR/FB
- Rookie Draft Review
of an $8 Matt Moore. Instead, not one but two owners passed on the young Rays stud. I can see an argument for Darvish (although it is not an argument I would care to make) but Cespedes, particularly
- Should Anyone Sign Derrek Lee?
Rankings article showed, even the low ranking teams are relatively set at the position.
The teams Matt ranked the lowest -- the Seattle Mariners and the San Diego Padres -- both have young prospects
- Positional Power Rankings: Second Base
of young, major-league ready talent, but not at second base. Giavotella seized the job late last season, and has the inside track at starting in 2012, but that's mainly because he's not Chris Getz
- Chad Young's 10 Bold Predictions for 2012
- ottoneu Auction Analysis Contest
the arbitration process, so teams held $5 coupons on them, while Tim Lincecum, Josh Johnson, Chris Carpenter, and Latos were the only four true free agents), prices for SP were sky-high. Kershaw
- Royals Take A Page From Rays, Extend Perez
- Seven Lessons from an ottoneu Auction
- Another Look at Day One of the FanGraphs Staff ottoneu Auction
- FG+ Over/Under Game: Chris Young
For our fifth (and final) over/under game, let's take a look at Chris Young the outfielder.
The over/under for today's game is 21. As in, will Chris Young hit more than 21 home runs
- Auction Season is Underway
to building a solid roster. You can't afford a stud at every spot, so finding guys who fill lineup holes on the cheap is key.
Having said all of that, one of the hallmarks of a Chad Young auction
- Dollar-for-Dollar All-Stars
- Prior, Webb on the Comeback Trail
innings pitched, the former Cy Young only last four innings before succumbing to a shoulder injury. Since shoulder surgery, Webb has failed to regain his velocity. He'll throw for teams at some point
- ottoneu Keepers - The Results
. Rubby de la Rosa was only kept in a quarter of leagues. Sure, his value in 2012 is next to nothing, but when people are paying a good price for top prospects, a young pitcher who has flown through
- Chris Cwik RotoGraphs Chat
- Reshuffling the Top Five
- Is Tim Lincecum Taking a Big Risk?
-- winning back-to-back National League Cy Young awards in his first two full seasons -- and he's definitely in line for a big payday. But given pitchers' unpredictability, Lincecum's decision to play
- ottoneu News: Keeper Deadline, Abandoned Teams
- Seattle Mariners, Pitcher Salesman
and the cost of developing young pitchers. While it will take years to know definitively which team won the deal, trading one of the best young pitchers in the game was the right decision
- Pitching Scoring Change in ottoneu Points Leagues
- Is Fernando Martinez Worth a Waiver Claim?
that Martinez has been around forever, the former top prospect is only 23 — which means he could be an intriguing option for some other team.
It might sound weird to say this about a guy this young
- What is Andrew Cashner's Value?
more value in leagues if he transitions to the rotation in 2013. The Padres rotation may be young, but many members are unproven, so it wouldn't be surprising if Cashner knocked one of the Padres
- Zambrano and Volstad Swap Homes
The Cubs shipped off a pitcher yesterday, but it wasn't Matt Garza. Instead, the sent Carlos Zambrano to Miami in exchange for Chris Volstad. Neither player provided much fantasy value in 2011
- Boston Lands Bailey
and landed a proven closer for two young prospects. That's not a bad way for Ben Cherington to start his era in Boston.
- Why You Should Pass on Ackley and Wait for Kipnis
- Chris Cwik SuperChat - 12/22/11
Chris Cwik SuperChat
- Dank(s) You Sir, May I Have Another Five Years?
of maintaining the proper level of success over multiple seasons. Danks is still young, and he should remain effective throughout the length on the contract. And he's also been incredibly durable over
- Young Derek Jeter
Young Derek Jeter's mother dressed him in a sensible collared Le Tigre for school pictures, but Young Derek Jeter removed it in the boys' bathroom in favor of the Georgetown sweatshirt he keeps
- Snapshots from the 1980s: Chris Chambliss
on a weekly basis. First up is Chris Chambliss, who played 18 big-league seasons with the Indians, Yankees and Braves from 1971-1988.
Chambliss, on why was there so much competitive balance
- Ageism in Fantasy Baseball and How it Can Work for You
him - Carlos Santana, Mike Napoli, Brian McCann, Buster Posey, Joe Mauer, Matt Wieters, Alex Avila, J.P. Arencibia, Chris Iannetta, and Miguel Montero. Last year, Martinez was the second most valuable
- RotoGraphs Mock Keeper Draft Rounds 1-3
' slugger, Mike Stanton. Stanton is incredibly young -- and still getting better -- he's a good bet to lead the league in home runs over the next decade.
Riskiest Pick: At the time of the draft, Ryan
- Evaluating Pitchers Changing Teams
- Chris Cwik Winter Meetings Chat
Chris Cwik FanGraphs Chat
- Thinking '13: Three ottoneu Trades Focused on the Future
in the league in 2011 - they finished in 8th, but even in 2012, much of the talent on the Gerbils roster will be either just coming into its own (Matt Moore, Chris Sale, Lonnie Chisenhall, etc
- Angels Acquire Iannetta
Chris Iannetta is finally free. After employing the worst starting catcher in baseball last season (min 250 plate appearances), the Los Angeles Angels decided to seek out an upgrade. Despite some
- Young Curtis Granderson
Young Curtis Granderson's mustache has been described as "effortful."
While others see in Young Curtis Granderson's choice of collars faint hints of militarism or marchingbandism, Young
- Off-season Roster Organization Part II
absolutely love my starting pitching? Love it. It's young, cheap and awesome. But, with that out of the way...
I can't legitimately keep 11 ML starters, let alone eight ML starters and three minor
- Was Verlander Better than Halladay?
Justin Verlander won the Cy Young and the MVP award after a tremendous 2011 season. Roy Halladay -- who posted similar numbers -- went home with nothing. Whether or not you agreed with Verlander's
- Stubbs, Young, Maybin, Morrison: Tier 5 NL OF Keepers
a team that can handle his bad batting average (and, really even his OBP is below-average) in order to reap the rewards Stubbs can offer.
Chris Young - $11.29
It's tempting to say that Chris Young
- Off-season Roster Organization Part I
have liked last year, but this is also a guy who is a clear number one at his position, and a traditionally thin position at that. But I have two young catchers who haven't looked half-bad (as long
- For Whom the Bell Tolls; Or Why I Hate Closers
- Chris Sale the Starter?
Hot off the presses, White Sox GM Kenny Williams has announced that Chris Sale, who has not started a game since college, will be in their starting rotation next season. So what might we expect from
- Election Results: ottoneu Arbitration Summary
FanGraphs Experts League team.
But I can take solace in the fact that I am far from alone, particularly when it comes to Hosmer - nearly 43% of Hosmer owners found themselves without their young
- The Miami Marlins Will Sign Everyone
in baseball. His addition helps shore up a rotation of Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, Ricky Nolasco and a bunch of young guys. Buehrle could also be a great mentor for the young pitchers on the Marlins
- Young Lance Berkman
Young Lance Berkman, although generally quite happy, affects for all photos a look he calls, "brooding teenage thunder."
Young Lance Berkman is wearing a paisley cummerbund (not pictured
- Is Gordon Beckham Done?
a chance on a young prospect or a bounce back candidate. Gordon Beckham is one player that fits that mold perfectly. After being one of the most highly touted rookies following his 2009 campaign, Beckham
- Ottoneu Offseason Primer
of it will be quite different, and that is what I want to focus on here.
Determine Where You are in the Big Picture. The Braves are young and improving, narrowly missed the post-season last year
- Will the Rays Trade James Shields?
was the pitcher that could bring back the biggest return in a trade. In order to get their young prospect into the rotation -- in this case, Jeremy Hellickson -- the Rays dealt Shields Garza
- Young Ryan Braun
Young Ryan Braun isn't smiling because "intent with Buick-like seriousness" are his factory settings.
Young Ryan Braun doesn't like posed senior portraits.
Young Ryan Braun doesn't like
- First-Pitch Strikes, Plate Discipline and Players Due to Bounce (or Fall) Back: Part II
- First-Pitch Strikes, Plate Discipline and Players Due to Bounce (or Fall) Back: Part 1
- ottoneu Keeper: Matt Joyce
- Beating Colby Lewis
was fourth on the team with 16 home runs this season. It's also unclear whether Delmon Young -- who hit eight home runs after joining the team in July -- is completely healthy. After hitting three home
- GIF: The Mysterious Mystery of Chris Young's Fastball
outliers is the very tall and Princeton-educated Chris Young's four-seamer, which has featured a rising movement in the 12-14 inch range throughout his career -- this, compared to a league-wide average
- Ottoneu Arbitration: Examples from the Original League
Allan, the owner of the Leftovers, spent the last few years stockpiling inexpensive, young talent and waiting for it to mature. This year, he took the plunge, trading some of that value
- The Kids Will Play
While Gordon Beckham and Chris Sale reached the majors shortly after being drafted, it's tough to get too excited about their performances. After two seasons of regression, it looks like Beckham may
- What to do with Alex Rodriguez?
Bautista, Adrian Beltre and Pablo Sandoval; and Rodriguez looks like the seventh best option at the position heading into next season. That doesn't even include Aramis Ramirez, Michael Young or Kevin
- Ottoneu Arbitration: Strategies for the First Off-season Activity
- Ozzie Guillen Out in Chicago
a deal in place to remain with the organization. In his time with the White Sox, Cooper has established himself as one of the best pitching coaches in the game. His propensity for turning around young
- Six Guys for Six Days
) and that means he could easily steal a base or two and hit a HR or two over the last few days.
Chris Carter (0%) – Sure, the guy strikes out about half the time he gets to the plate. And, no, he does not have
- Rays Call Up Matt Moore
he can provide to fantasy teams going forward.
Much of Moore's value will be determined by how the Rays choose to employ their young fireballer. Many have speculated that Moore will be used
- Waiver Wire: Ross Detwiler
control this season, however, as he's currently posting the best walk rate (2.86 per nine) of his young career. The 25-year-old pitcher has also been able to increase his strikeout rate this season
- Keeper Conundrum: Mike Leake
provided value to fantasy owners this season -- and he's still incredibly young for a player with his experience -- but have his performances been strong enough to make him a keeper?
- Chris Cwik: RotoGraphs Chat
- Chris Cwik FanGraphs Chat - 8/17/11
Chris Cwik FanGraphs Chat
- Should Cleveland Go All In?
reach, Indians' general manager Chris Antonetti announced that the team is going to be active around the trade deadline. While making the post-season would go a long way towards satisfying a long
- Desmond Jennings Gets the Call
looking to pick up some extra steals. Now that the Rays have finally promoting their young star, it appears they are going to utilize him aggressively. The fact that the Rays made Jennings their lead
- Second Half Stories to Follow
on pace to reach the mark; while Ian Kinsler, Andrew McCutchen, Justin Upton, Carlos Gonzalez and Chris Young all have an outside shot at reaching the milestone with strong second halves
- Andrew McCutchen Arrives
to McCutchen until now. For the first time since Barry Bonds patrolled the Pittsburgh outfield, the Pirates have another home-grown, phenomenal young outfielder -- and one of the best players in the game
- The Value of Joe Mauer
Unfortunately for the Twins, much of Mauer's value is dependent on whether he can produce at his pre-injury level. There are reasons for optimism: Mauer still is young and his injuries haven't
- Waiver Wire: Ben Revere and Chris Johnson
be able to help your squad out: Ben Revere and Chris Johnson.
With Denard Span still on the disabled list and reportedly still feeling a tad woozy from his concussion, Ben Revere
- Zack Greinke Can't Catch a Break
throwing at an All-Star level. If not for a ton of bad luck, it's not unreasonable to look at Greinke's numbers and see a potential Cy Young candidate. That's not the case, however. Greinke's luck may
- Cory Luebke Joins the Rotation
, the performance of young players or prospects is one of the few positives ownership can sell to the fans. Cory Luebke, a former first-round pick, was given the opportunity to make his first start of the season
- Passing on Jose Reyes
. Reyes is currently 28-years-old -- that's not old, but it isn't necessarily young either. How many seasons of elite performance can you predict out of Reyes going forward? Five maybe? The allure
- Trade Targets: Center Field
Jonny Gomes in left. The Reds have some valuable young talent (Yonder Alonso, Mike Leake, Todd Frazier, etc.), so there's a chance this happens if the Dodgers make Kemp available.
- Will Ubaldo Jimenez Bounce Back?
that finished third in the Cy Young voting last season.
- Mustache Watch: Cy Young
Denton True "Cy" Young was a great pitcher ...
Denton True "Cy" Young was also a great mustachioed pitcher. Denton True "Cy" Young was also a great chinless pitcher. And, as Venn Diagrams
- Delmon Young: Buy Low Candidate
He entered the season as a popular regression candidate, got off to a terrible start and is currently on the Disabled List, but all of those things make Delmon Young a strong buy low candidate
- The Return of Josh Beckett
less thing the Red Sox have to worry about going forward. He may not return to Cy Young form, but as Beckett has already shown this season, 2010 appears to be an aberration.
- Oakland Extends Cahill
Locking up young players shortly after they reach the majors is all the rage these days in Major League Baseball. It should come as no surprise then that the Oakland Athletics locked up Trevor Cahill
- The Return of Cahill's Curve
candidates due to some poor peripherals. One of the most puzzling aspects of Cahill's young career, and one of the reasons analysts are calling for regression, has been Cahill's low strikeout rate
- 2011 Organizational Rankings: #15 - Baltimore
, Brian Matusz, Chris Tillman and Jake Arrieta (to name a few) start to reach their potential, the Orioles major league talent could experience a significant jump in the rankings. The farm system
- 2011 Organization Rankings: #25 Kansas City
the Royals' young stars start reaching the majors. If the past is any indication, however, Royals' fans have some reason for concern. In the time that Glass has owned the Royals, the team has traded off
- Is Matt Dominguez the Answer?
a starting job at such a young age is regarded as one of the strongest prospects in all of baseball. This, however, is not necessarily the case for Dominguez. Although Marc Hulet rated Dominguez
- Where Might Chris Davis End Up?
With Opening Day nearing, Chris Davis is staring at the prospect of a fourth stint in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League. Mitch Moreland is the favorite to win the Rangers' first base job. Mike Napoli
- Will Stars and Scrubs Approach Derail Brewers?
of development in the minors and will now have to adjust at the major league level. Although George Kottaras would provide more patience and power, Lucroy is the superior defensive player. Lucroy is still young
- Team Preview: Texas Rangers
6 DH Michael Young/Mike Napoli (vs lefties)
7 1B Mitch Moreland*/Michael Young (vs lefties)
8 C Yorvit Torrealba
9 CF Julio Borbon*
The big offseason acquisition of Adrian Beltre should
- Bottom of the Barrel: $1 Second Baseman
, and his help with steals will be virtually nonexistent. Despite those faults, DeWitt has two things going for him: he's young and he has some power. Only 25, DeWitt hasn't reached his prime yet
- Sabathia's Opt Out
, and losing Sabathia would be a gigantic blow. If AJ Burnett fails to bounce back, and the young prospects cannot take a step forward, locking up Sabathia becomes an even bigger priority for the Yankees
- Ghosts of Young Old Players Past
Last week, I posted about three hitters who displayed "old player skills" during the 2010 season. Old players are (as defined by Nate Silver) hitters who at a relatively young age have higher walk
- Chris Young Trades Petco For Citi Field
/reward signings and hope for the best. One of those signing came in the form of Chris Young, formerly of the Alderson-led San Diego Padres.
The 6’10” right-hander made 97 starts for San Diego from
- Michael Young For Carlos Lee Makes Sense
Michael Young does not want to play for the Texas Rangers anymore - he made that clear with his public assailing of their front office last night, and essentially changed the incentives for Jon
- The Rockies' Alternatives to Michael Young
The Rangers and the Rockies started talking about Michael Young at the Winter Meetings. It appears that, two months later, they're on the verge of a deal. As reported by FoxSports.com, "a deal could
- The Chris Sale Conundrum
In recent seasons, teams have come up with inventive ways to utilize their young pitching prospects. One of the more popular strategies among teams is to let their prospects gain experience
- Mets Sign a Pair of Tommy John Survivors
of Capuano and Buchholz show that the Mets are willing to take risks if the price is right. They may take it even further, as Buster Olney reported they have offered a contract to Chris Young. Capuano
- Adjusting Our Opinion on Pitch Counts
This is a continuation of my last article, Handling Young Pitchers. Both pieces focus on a recent article written by Craig Wright for the Hardball Times Baseball Annual 2011.
In part one, I
- Handling Young Pitchers
to pitching, argues against current pitch count restrictions and explains how to handle young pitchers. In this piece, we are going to focus on young pitcher workloads. With more prospects reaching
- Are the Brewers the Favorite in the Central?
to rely on the development of their young talent next season. A healthy Edinson Volquez will strengthen the rotation, but the Reds remain relatively unchanged heading into 2011.
The Cardinals have
- The Mark Reynolds Trade: Arizona's End
and Mikolio aren't exactly household names, they could end up playing key roles in Towers' next dominant pen.
In Hernandez and Mickolio, Towers acquires two young, cost-controlled pitchers capable
- Padres Decline Chris Young's Option
Jim Jones released an album in 2006 named Product of My Environment. The most popular song off POME goes by the name “We Fly High”. The album and song name fit Chris Young’s career well
- Haren And The Diamondbacks' Young Core
Upton. Upton is having another solid season, with 2.8 WAR in 416 plate appearances, and he'll be around until 2015 under a favorable $51.5 million contract. Chris Young is in the middle of a breakout
- Stephen Strasburg Should Be an All-Star
can derail Strasburg's dominance.
4. He's young, he will have more opportunities to pitch in the All-Star Game.
Personally, I hope Strasburg goes on to pitch in a number of All-Star Games
- Chris B. Young Limiting the Pop Ups
Last season, Chris Young's big league career reached its nadir. A former White Sox prospect swapped to Arizona as part of the December 2005 Javier Vazquez deal, Young was an acclaimed prospect who
- Have the Tigers Ruined Rick Porcello?
major league starter. After being draft 27th overall, Detroit wasted no time showcasing their young ace. In order to ensure Porcello developed his other pitches, the Tigers insisted that Porcello stop
- AL $1 Option: Chris Tillman
despite his formidable AL East opponents. Talk of his dominating college and minor league performances spreads from water cooler to water cooler and the hype is growing.
That pitcher is not Chris
- Three Reasons To Believe in Chris Young
This added caution sometimes causes us to dismiss players before they've run their course. A prime example of this is Chris Young, the No. 23 prospect in baseball for the 2006 season. He has played
- Chris Young the Outfielder
the problems that lineup would normally entail.
With that strategy in mind, is Chris Young a viable option in 2010? If Bill James is to be believed, Youngs' power and speed could return and answer
- Chris Coghlan and Brett Carroll
The Florida Marlins’ left fielder Chris Coghlan has received rookie of the year consideration from quite a few sources this year, on the wings of his impressive .372 wOBA rookie season. This puts
- Chris B. Young Optioned to AAA
Chirs Young came into this season with big expectations. In 2008 he had a league average bat and played average defense in center field, all at the age of 24. That kind of performance, at a premium
- 3 Young DBacks With a Chance?
The Arizona Diamondbacks apparently know how to clean out their veterans in order to take a look at the future. Or maybe things just fell that way. In any case, whether by injury (Chris Snyder, Conor
- Chris "K" Young
I talked briefly about Chris Young last night, but I wanted to cover him in more depth this morning. He’s an odd case. His peripheral numbers are essentially equal to B.J. Upton – 11% walks, 29
- "Young" Buccs
The dust has settled after a mini-fury of deals for the Pirates, and it looks like a couple young outfielders ended up gaining some playing time. The bad news is that, beyond wunderkind Andrew
- Two Young Center Fielders
into the season was Chris Young, whose projections were comparable to the 12th-ranked second baseman going into the season (Rickie Weeks).
Defense then becomes a non-fantasy entity that can mean a lot
- Young's Company
Earlier this week, Dave discussed Padres SP Chris Young and his inability to hold runners, essentially claiming that the former basketball prospect is worse at holding runners than anyone else
- Chris Young's Fatal Flaw
keeping Fowler out of the line-up.
However, this post isn't about Fowler. This post is about Chris Young. The tall pitching one, not the hack-at-everything center field version. See, Young
- 2009 Impact Rookie: Chris Dickerson
with the Cincinnati Reds organization and Chris Dickerson, who was drafted out of the University of Nevada in the 16th round of the 2003 draft.
He showed signs of life in 2007 and fully emerged from
- 2009 Impact Rookie: Chris Perez
-reliever Ryan Franklin (3.55 ERA) with 17, former closer Jason Isringhausen (5.70) with 12 and rookie Chris Perez (3.46) with seven. Although he appeared in 41 games, Perez is still a rookie for 2009
- 2009 Impact Rookie: Chris Tillman
The Baltimore Orioles have multiple reasons to thank the Seattle Mariners, and right-hander Chris Tillman is one of the top gifts that the club received in the Erik Bedard trade prior to the 2008
- The Young Dilemma
The big news of the day in baseball is that the Texas Rangers have officially asked Michael Young to move to third base to make room for hot prospect Elvis Andrus, and that he was offended enough
- Chris Burke
On Friday, the Arizona Diamondbacks decided not to tender an offer of arbitration to Chris Burke. After coming over from the Astros in the Jose Valverde trade, Burke was a massive disappointment
- Be Excited about Chris Davis
Power hitters playing in Texas are a fantasy player’s dream. Chris Davis certainly fits the bill.
Throughout his minor league career, all Davis has done is mash. Despite being young for his level
- Chris B. Young's Contact Woes
To be honest, I had figured that Diamondbacks centerfielder Chris B. Young would be entrenched as a star-caliber player by this point in his career. A 6-2, 200 pounder with a unique blend of patience
- N.L Cy Young: Who to Choose?
With the regular season finally over, it's time to start thinking about who should be the recipient of the National League Cy Young award. A month ago, I thought Chris Carpenter was a shoe in to win
- Daily Graphing - Chris Young
In what was a surprise move to me, the Rangers sent Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez, and Terrmel Sledge to the Padres for Adam Eaton, Akinori Otsuka, and a minor leaguer. In Chris Young's first full
- Daily Graphing - Chris Carpenter
Today my faith in the Baseball Writers' Association of America was restored after they voted to give Chris Carpenter his first Cy Young award. Despite Dontrelle Willis' MLB high 22 wins, and Roger