- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat
Eric A Longenhagen: Chat chat chat!
dock ellis: what do you make of rhys hoskins? anything there to get excited about?
- Chad Young's Ten Bold Predictions
regret taking the likes of Eric Hosmer, Adrian Gonzalez, and Prince Fielder ahead of him.
9. Wilson Ramos his .270 with 20 HR. Last year, Ramos hit .229 with 15 HR, so this would be a sizable jump
- Young's Company
Earlier this week, Dave discussed Padres SP Chris Young and his inability to hold runners, essentially claiming that the former basketball prospect is worse at holding runners than anyone else
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat 7/4
to be being phased out
Eric A Longenhagen: I think the small market teams are definitely searching for other ways to score young talent because yes, the new draft bonus pool system
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat 8/15
Eric A Longenhagen: Oh yes.
Johnny 5: Given a choice, would you rather start your team with Clint Frazier or Aaron Judge
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat 8/22
Eric A Longenhagen: If they are they aren't telling me. I'm sure they're trying.
I am the walrus: What young internationally signed SS do you like better and why
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat 7/11
for projecting guys that are so far from the majors and/or are so young?
Eric A Longenhagen: It's almost easier to scout those guys because you're just worried about tools
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat 6/27/2016
Eric A Longenhagen: Please enjoy your new Perkis System uniforms. Your families will be billed automatically.
JD: Possibility of Giolito
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat 7/18
Eric A Longenhagen: No, I'd probably have Ponce #2.
@jordo2323: How far into your prospect-radar radius is young Brewers pitcher Marcos Diplan? Has he moved
- Eric Longenhagen Prospect Chat 7/25
Eric A Longenhagen: Good day, sirs and madams. I'm just finishing writing up the prospects in the Chapman deal so give me a few minutes...
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat 8/10
Eric A Longenhagen: Pablo Sanchez
Me: Best organization at developing young talent?
Eric A Longenhagen: The answer to this question
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat 8/29
: Morning! Which young Rays SS do you think has the brighter future? Rondon or Fox? Do you think either will be Allstar quality players? Thanks
Eric A Longenhagen: I like
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat 9/19
a great season after being drafted last year. His 2016 didn't go great. Understandably still a young player.....how good can he be?
Eric A Longenhagen: Raw but big
- Chad Young's Ten Bold 2015 Predictions
in front of him (11 by my count) will primarily be used at other positions, so he is the 17th pure 1B. Ahead of him are guys like Justin Morneau, Eric Hosmer, Matt Adams, Mark Trumbo, Adam LaRoche
- Eric Young Steals Our Hearts
Ever since Eric Young stole 87 bases in 118 attempts in Single-A back in 2006 with the Rockies organization, fantasy owners have been salivating over his fantasy prospects. With respectable strikeout
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat - 5/20/16
a young kid being immature or is it something more serious? Thanks Eric and glad to have you here at FG!12:25Eric A Longenhagen: I think it's justifiable for teams to worry about stuff like
- Chad Young's Bold Predictions Mid-Season Report Card
was that he would surpass five of Justin Morneau, Eric Hosmer, Matt Adams, Mark Trumbo, Adam LaRoche, Lucas Duda, Joey Votto, David Ortiz, Prince Fielder, and Victor Martinez. Well, he did - Morneau
- The Elder Young Is Ready To Return
Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder are set to become the marquee free agent first basemen this offseason, but they may have some company. Dmitri Young has reportedly expressed interest in returning
- Eric Young Jr: Like Father, Like Son
I have to start this post off by admitting that I am un-apologetically one of the biggest Eric Young Jr. fans around, who has been lobbying for his presence amongst the Rockies' best prospects
- Request-a-GIF Revisited: Eric Young Walks on Air
You might have already looked upon Carson's fulfillment of reader Dave's wish to watch Eric Young, Jr. slip-slidin' around the bases into GIF-tacular eternity. That was fun wasn't it?
- Eric Young Gets New Life in New York
When Eric Young joins the Mets in Atlanta on Wednesday, a lot more is going to change than just his address and uniform. His playing time, the Mets leadoff situation and, of course, his fantasy
- Inexpensive Homers and Steals: Darin Ruf and Eric Young
a chance at an every day role next season as well. Take the good with the bad with Ruf, but as long as he is playing regularly he should be supplying ample power to your lineup.
Eric Young Jr.
- Nyjer Morgan, Eric Young, Jr: NL Outfielders
averages. Expect him to manage at least .280 in that category. This is one of those flawed real-life players that should be owned in most leagues that have twelve or more teams.
Eric Young Jr. (Yahoo
- Chris Young & Eric Campbell: Deep League Wire
. As a note, most of the players discussed in this column are better suited for mono leagues, and the ownership percentages come from CBS.
Chris Young / OF / New York Yankees / 10%
On a team whose
- More on the AL Cy Young Landscape
The Cy Young Award in the American League is more than likely going to go to Cliff Lee, and deservedly so. After all, he leads all starters in WPA/LI, has the highest K/BB in baseball, the lowest
- Stupid Photo Essay: Eric Young Jr. vs. Benihana
are but blood enemies to be vanquished, raped and slaughtered. So it was with Eric Young Jr. and his recent trip to the finest in Oriental-themed Occidental steakhouses ...
As you are no doubt aware
- Young's Time In Arizona Likely Coming to an End
, as non-performance factors must be taken into consideration.
The Diamondbacks currently have Justin Upton, Chris Young, Adam Eaton, Jason Kubel and Gerardo Parra under contract. Upton is the most
- My 2011 Sigh Young Award Picks
uncoveted Sigh Young Award, honoring those courageous men who put their elbows, shoulders, and faces on the line every day for your entertainment.
Let's jump right in.
AL Sigh Young:
- Scouting Earth's Best Young Arm, Lucas Giolito
- Request-a-GIF: Eric Young Falls, Gets Back Up Mostly
, generally speaking, the request for such a GIF as follows (of Colorado Rockies utility gentleman Eric Young stumbling elaborately) would be summarily denied.
In this particular case, however, an exception
- Eric Young & Jean Segura: Deep League Waiver Wire
have the roster flexibility simply for potential trade bait.
Eric Young Jr. | COL OF | CBS 2% Owned
Young has seemingly been around forever as a stolen base sleeper, but he is no longer, ahem
- Eric Young Jr. and Nick Hundley: Late Season Waiver Wire Help
, but at this stage of the game, the depth of your league shouldn't matter much. If a guy can help, he can help. Here's two to consider...
Eric Young, Jr. |2B, OF| Ownership: ESPN - 4.6% Yahoo - 4.0
- ottoneu Trade Recap: Shipping out the Panda
hopes for Goldschmidt (and I do!) but he is an unproven talent at a deep position, while Sandoval is a young star with a track record at a position that is...less deep.
But, my friends, context
- Election Results: ottoneu Arbitration Summary
Almost everyone who played in an ottoneu league got some upsetting news last week when arbitration results were posted. I, for one, was pretty unhappy to discover that Eric Hosmer was no longer on my
- Rookie Draft Review
an in-season auction when he gets called up. But considering the young 1B options (Eric Hosmer, Paul Goldschmidt, Freddie Freeman, Ike Davis) I can't see taking him over the dual SS studs who went
- Off-season Roster Organization Part I
1B - Carlos Pena
2B - Chase Utley
SS - N/A
MI - Allen Craig
3B - Pablo Sandoval
OF - Matt Holliday, Hunter Pence, Dexter Fowler, Matt Joyce, Nick Swisher
Util - Eric Hosmer
- Trade Dilemma - Rizzo or Harvey, or maybe Verlander
issues. My MI is a mess, with Hanley Ramirez and Jedd Gyorko hurt and Dee Gordon and Dustin Ackley in Triple-A. And my 1B situation is terrible - Eric Hosmer has been a bust, Ike Davis has been worse
- Ageism in Fantasy Baseball and How it Can Work for You
off the board in round 8 of the mock draft, while Eric Hosmer came off in the 4th.
Along the same lines, Victor Martinez stayed available until the 10th round, while a litany of catchers went before
- When Patience is Not a Virtue: The Experts League Auction
Eric Hosmer - $9
Mark Reynolds - $6
Yasmani Grandal - $5
Frank Francisco - $3
Erasmo Ramirez - $1
Tyler Greene - $1
That leaves me with this roster set up:
- Why You Should Pass on Ackley and Wait for Kipnis
of those three (or Eric Hosmer, or Stephen Strasburg, or any number of other players, if he wanted to focus on youth), and still nabbed Kipnis in the 9th round, where he took Mark Reynolds
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): 1B Edition
- Ottoneu Arbitration: Strategies for the First Off-season Activity
team and deciding between voting for Chase Ultey (who I can keep for $12) or Eric Hosmer (who I can keep for $7). If you think Utley would get paid $35 at auction, and Hosmer $25, you vote for Utley
- Rankings-Based Planning: Preparing for Year 2+ in ottoneu
Espinosa. Brandon Phillips and Neil Walker are the best 2B options.
At 1B, Pujols is out there, but then you are looking at the previously mentioned Gonzo, and Paul Konerko, Mark Teixeira and Eric
- Could Lasik Help Dan Uggla?
context offensive contribution went up by a wRC+ of 11.7 in the year after the player had the surgery. That's no joke. In 2013 terms, this is taking Nate McLouth, Albert Pujols, Mike Napoli or Eric Hosmer
- Final Decisions in ottoneu
, the following players are free agents: Dustin Pedroia, Ben Zobrist, Brandon Phillips. Robinson Cano might join that group, but I doubt it. At 1B, the options right now are Eric Hosmer and...not much else
- Eric Hosmer's Hacking
Eric Hosmer is a trendy fantasy pick this spring, and for good reason. The Royals first baseman batted .293/.334/.465 during his age-21 season, providing decent power (19 homers) and uncommon speed
- How Eric Sogard Made History
they are the Minnesota Twins. From experience we may infer the answer to the question “what happens when we give a young man his debut against a pitching meat grinder?”, and so it was that Trevor May
- Tagg, You're It: A Conversation with Eric Nusbaum
I don't know how it happened, exactly. One minute I was minding my own business, wandering aimlessly around the internet like I always do; the next, I was discussing -- with Eric Nusbaum of Pitchers
- Pinch a Penny and Sign Eric Hinske
giving in to pressure to sign free agents, opting instead to amass young talent through trades, the Rule 5 draft, and the amateur draft.
By now you should know the team, it is the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Eric Hosmer: Stuck at First Base
Eric Hosmer turned 26 this past Saturday. He completed his fifth season earlier this month and starts his second straight World Series tonight against the Mets. The 2015 season was his best yet
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat
Eric A Longenhagen: Good morning (for me, anyway) everyone. Let's talk about baseball.
Gary: How did Rutherford fall all the way
- Chad Young's 10 Bold Predictions
- Chad Young ottoneu deadline chat -- 1/31/13
I will be by from 10-11pm ET tonight to chat before the ottoneu deadline. The queue will open well before, so get your questions in!
Chad Young -- Fantasy Baseball Chat
- Chris Young Challenges the Data
"You should go look at the research again and see what the charts say," Chris Young, the Seattle Mariners pitcher, emphatically told me one afternoon this season. We were talking about high fastballs
- Chris Young: Is It Real, Or Is It Safeco?
frequency table, it screams "outlier". Young's 12.6% K would have ranked dead last among MLB ERA qualifiers in 2013, and is fractionally ahead of only Kevin Correia and Eric Stults this season. His
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat 9/12
Eric A Longenhagen: Morning, everyone. Gonna let Szym finish his chat before I get going here. Fell free to pump questions into the queue and I'll get rolling when he's done
- Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat 6/20/2016
Eric A Longenhagen: Well, Happy AZL Opening Day to you too.
jon: Dustin May the next deGrom?
Eric A Longenhagen
- 3 Young DBacks With a Chance?
Jackson and Eric Byrnes), trade (Felipe Lopez), or release (Tony Clark), the Diamondbacks have opened up four positions for auditions.
We have already taken a look at Josh Whitesell and his
- Chad Young's 10 Bold Predictions for 2012
- Chad Young's Ten Bold Predictions for 2013
- Chad Young's Ten Bold Predictions Revisited
- Q&A: Eric Wedge, on Tuning Mariner Mechanics
Smoak are prime examples -- a physical adjustment could be what it takes. Seattle skipper Eric Wedge addressed the subject during this month’s winter meetings in Nashville, Tenn.
- The Year It All Fell Apart for Eric Hosmer, Again
There was some talk not long ago about Eric Hosmer and his impending 2018 free agency, with years in the range of 10, and dollars in the range of $200 million. Of course, this talk was being put out
- Q&A: Eric Stults, Poor-Man's Randy Jones
Eric Stults didn’t represent the San Diego Padres in last night’s All-Star Game. He arguably deserved the honor, which is remarkable given where he’s come from. The 33-year-old left-hander
- Bargain or Bust: Carlos Gomez and Eric Hosmer
Eric Hosmer, 1B KC
RotoGraphs Mock Draft Position:
Mock Draft Central ADP:
To be honest, I was genuinely shocked that Hosmer lasted as long as he
- Chad Young's 10 Bold Predictions Mid-Year Review
- Chris Young Is Not A Minor League Pitcher
A victim of what amounts to one of the deeper stables of starting pitching, Chris Young opted out of his contract with the Washington Nationals with the hopes that he could find a major league role
- Thank You Mr. Wedge
that are more important to a team winning a ballgame - that’s all that matters." - Eric Wedge, Manager, Cleveland Indians
Thank you, Eric Wedge, for this response to the question of whether or not Grady
- Dustin McGowan Pulls a Gorzelanny?
Jays righty Dustin McGowan had a very similar game against the Rays. While discussing some of our favorite young pitchers, Fangraphs reader and Tampa Bay Rays blogger Tommy Rancel said, "...if you
- Brandon Allen Belongs in the Bigs
We're pleased to welcome Eric Seidman back to FanGraphs today. Despite taking a 20 month sabbatical, he is still second among writers in post count here on the site. He'll be contributing his
- The Royals, Billy Butler, and Young Pitching
position players for a young, high-end arm. Alex Gordon, Mike Moustakas, and even Eric Hosmer have been floated as trade candidates, ditto Billy Butler.
Butler, 26, is a .300/.362/.468 (121 wRC+) career
- Would Somebody Please Score For Harang?
, That Would Force Somebody To Take Notice)
It's a bit long but it gets the job done and sums up Harang. Some may argue, "But Eric... Harang does post great stats," and I would agree; however, he has
- Trade Targets: First Base and Designated Hitter
, $6 million, FA in 2012
PROJECTED WAR: 1.0
Texas is still in first place though the Rangers are by no means running away with the division. Michael Young is having a solid season as a designated
doubts ever crept into their minds. Finishing 3rd (to Eric Gagne and Jason Schmidt) in Cy Young Award voting, Prior went 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA. His WHIP went down to 1.10 and he struck out 245
- Kimbrel's Season For the Ages
is about to blow right by the existing record, which was set in 2003 by Eric Gagne. Gagne struck out 44.7% of the opposition in his Cy Young campaign. Only two other relievers have even topped 44
- Do Prospect Busts Ever Reach Their Potential?
that a player will not usually debut at such a young age if he wasn't ready to produce in the majors. Players considered ready at that young age were more likely than not top-tier prospects. From
- Renegade BBWAA Awards
: contact as many stathead bloggers as possible, and ask them to offer first, second, and third place votes for the three major awards in each league. The awards in question were the MVP, Cy Young Award
- Ghosts of Young Old Players Past
Last week, I posted about three hitters who displayed "old player skills" during the 2010 season. Old players are (as defined by Nate Silver) hitters who at a relatively young age have higher walk
- Here We Go Again - Phillies & Mets
do these teams stack up in 2009? Even though the Marlins are young and offensively talented, and the Braves acquired a solid pitcher in Javier Vazquez, the Phillies and Mets are still the top two
- A Chat With "Moneyball" Star Brad Pitt
of making "Moneyball" was, in fact, higher than the payroll of the 2002 Athletics. So that's something.
We talked about everything from his career, to sabermetrics, to his family life.
- The 10 and 5 Rights
Rumors swirled this offseason about whether or not, and to whom, Michael Young might be traded. The Rangers didn't seem to have a real position for him and his bat wasn't projected to profile
- Wait, What Happened?
and won, and the Twins faced four former Cy Young Award winners in five days.
First, the Twins: From 6/20 to 6/25 they played and won five contests in their nine-game winning streak, beating Randy
- Who Will vs. Who Should
joined the fray yesterday in discussing the AL Cy Young Award with regards to Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee. In the comments sections of both of our articles, the conversation surrounding who will win
- The Most Lopsided Trade of the Decade
Last week, in discussing the minor league signings of both Adam Eaton and Bruce Chen, I mentioned that the trade sending Eaton to the Rangers in exchange for Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young
- Perplexed About Lee
. His 2010 salary will actually be $9 mil on the option based on the incentive stipulating a $1 mil raise should he win the Cy Young Award in either 2008 or 2009. Seeing as he won the award last year
- Kershaw and Kemp Could Make History
these league-leader recaps might generally point to the Phillies' front three splitting the Cy Young Award, it's extremely likely that the Dodgers' ace wins the award in only his third full season
- Eveland and Smith Paying Dividends
This offseason the Diamondbacks struck gold in winning the Dan Haren sweepstakes. The young, 27-year old ace looked mighty fine when placed right next to Brandon Webb. Billy Beane decided
- The Unsung Blue Jay
for a while now, even garnering compliments from President Bush; AJ Burnett is a flamethrower who has steadily produced over the last few years; and young Dustin McGowan looks poised to build on the success
- WPA #7: Prelude to the Derby
single to leftfield off the bat of Michael Young, increasing their chances to 12.6%.
Young then stole second base with Hamilton at the dish, which resulted in a jump to 17.1%. Then, on a 3-1 count
- I'm Tired of the "Next Cliff Lee" Posts
Cliff Lee had, by all accounts, a fantastic 2008 season en route to a Cy Young Award. What made his performance more remarkable was how he seemingly came out of nowhere, a back end of the rotation
- Scouting Brady Aiken's First Professional Appearance
it will probably be.
Athletics Ephemera: Switch-hitting infielder Eric Marinez signed for less than $100L back in 2012 and is now 20 but still toiling away in Extended because of inconsistency on both
- The Awesomeness of Clayton Kershaw
one of the best pitchers in the game. Not one of the best young pitchers, or a nice pitcher who could get there in a few years, but one of the best overall pitchers in baseball, free of detracting
- Why Kershaw But Not Lee?
Halladay' conversation, while Lee is more of an afterthought for the Cy Young Award?
Most of it has to do with context. Kershaw is, in a sense, a big fish in a small pond on the lowly Dodgers. While
- The Nationals' Second Ace
is the more minute differential between Strasburg and his southpaw teammate.
But the fact that Gonzalez is even in the same discussion as a former Cy Young Award winner and a phenom living up
- Bourn Remains Atop the Centerfield Market
the very affordable Chris Young from the Diamondbacks. While pundits spent most of their time discussing B.J. Upton, Michael Bourn, Josh Hamilton and Angel Pagan, it was the potentially undervalued
- Javier "Frustration" Vazquez
Growing up as a young Phillies fan, prior to my introduction to sabermetrics or advanced analysis, there were a few things I knew, essentially as facts: the Braves would win the division every year
- WPA #6: Velez Tames the Lyon
, is below. Notice how you can barely even see his name register:
Actually, this graph makes the big spike appear like it belongs to Chris Young, not Velez, since Eugenio's play is hidden
- WPA #2: National Drama
LoDuca followed with a groundout to third base. As Dmitri Young stepped up to bat, the Nationals had justs a 4.8% shot at winning this game.
Young showed patience and worked a walk, increasing
- Recapping the Top Offensive Plays
6) This was probably the oddest finish to any game this season. The Giants led the DBacks on September 10, 3-2, as the top of the ninth began. Chris Young hit a two-run triple to give the Snakes
- Can They Surprise?
. One team being mentioned as a potential sleeper is the Cincinnati Reds, and while I do not consider them to have playoff-bound talent this season, I do agree with Jerry Crasnick in that their young
- Thoughts on Wandy
is certainly deserving of attention and multiple looks, but do not get him confused with someone like Johnny Cueto or Ubaldo Jimenez, young flamethrowers who seem poised to turn a corner before turning 26
- He Didn't Leave a 'Lastings' Impression
that assessment incorrect.
At 26, Milledge is still young enough not to be written off as a bust, but he hasn't developed the skills many envisioned would come with more experience in the majors
- You Know Who Would Have Helped the DBacks?
and a young, effective starting rotation. But the rotation would be even more potent these days had the team not made a questionable trade last season -- a trade that seems even stranger by the month
- Selective Joe
Entering tonight's action the Twins have a 23-24 record and are just 3.5 games behind the first place White Sox. Though the 2008 season is still relatively young, I think it is safe to say most
- Blanco's Running Start
said it best, "..that is different!" The Braves, in the Schuerholz era, have been known for their propensity to develop young players and Blanco is no different. He has not posted superstar-caliber
- Hey Uggla, Make Up Your Mind!
semblance of consistent productivity since most would attest their young pitching staff is not very likely to hold up from now until September 30th.
- What Wagner Worry?
of the Mariners. Putz has not lived up to expectations thus far but the season is still young and plenty of time exists to turn things around. What happens in September, though? Wagner comes back
- Avoid Backe
, the kind of guy a team should call up from Triple A when someone gets hurt.
Sure, he will be cheap, but teams would be better suited to try their young guys than dish out starts to a subpar pitcher
- Scouting Three New Rays Prospects
Tampa Bay has aggressively scouted the lowest levels of the minor leagues in Florida and Arizona looking to get in early on burgeoning young talent. In the Brandon Guyer deal, the Rays acquired soon
- Vaughn Bergen: Just Like a Kid Out There
it to the final," Vaughn said when asked why he started dancing in the middle of Saturday's game.
"My dad told me to enjoy myself, and I did."
My only advice to young Bergen would be to continue
- Crop of Catchers
a positive WPA/LI this season, and it was barely above average, meaning that the best hitter below was a league average producer. First, the "young guns" of this year's free agent crop of catchers:Name
- Type A Starting Pitchers
old, Sheets is still relatively young, but he has proven to be very brittle. When healthy, he is a dominant force, but the caveat beginning this sentence should speak volumes towards his durability
- Where Did Those Tigers Go?
Back in 2003, the Detroit Tigers went 43-119, narrowly avoiding a tie with the expansion 1962 New York Mets for the most losses since 1900. Dmitri Young proved to be their top hitter with just +2.1
- Johan's Future
for whom a "Free ________" campaign was started. He was a young flamethrower with a funky windup that looked like he was literally twisting the ball toward home plate. The potential was obvious
- The Verlander MVP Plot Thickens
Young Award bandwagon. And that might just be the start: Verlander now has emerged as a legitimate candidate for the American League's Most Valuable Player award. But should be considered for the honor
- Livan the Mentor
innings more than Javier Vazquez's 2482 -- and he never made more than $8 million in a single season. Not that he was ever a legitimate candidate for the Cy Young Award or anything like that, but 200
- Rangers Head Home With Series Even
runners at second and third with nobody out. The previously lifeless Rangers had a pulse, and with Josh Hamilton, Michael Young and Adrian Beltre due up, odds were slim that the Cardinals would escape
- Was Kershaw Really Better Than Halladay?
Clayton Kershaw received 27 of the 32 first place votes in the 2011 NL Cy Young Award balloting en route to his first major league award. He beat out all three of the Phillies horses -- Roy Halladay
- Atlanta Needs Its Starting Pitching Depth
-- due to shoulder problems. He is still very young but he took a definite step backwards in establishing durability. Jair Jurrjens started 23 games and continued to establish himself as injury-prone
- Alcides's Offensive Outlook
The Royals were wise to lock up Alcides Escobar for the foreseeable future. Talented, young shortstops don't grow on trees and Escobar will help the team through his own performance, or as a trade
- Kimbrel's Historic Pace
Craig Kimbrel is really freakin' good. While his blown save in the final game of the 2011 season gave him a bit more fame for the wrong reasons, Kimbrel has been downright tremendous in his young
- The Plummeting Stock of Lars Anderson
, which makes it much tougher to stick at his natural position. He still features the physical tools that made scouts gush over him in the first place, and he is still young at 24 years old, but he hasn't
- Ross Signing Causes Another Outfield Logjam
The Diamondbacks signed Jason Kubel last offseason and created an outfield logjam with Chris Young, Justin Upton and Gerardo Parra.
While the consensus had the team attempting to trade Parra
- Sanchez Gives Braves Offseason Even Bigger Prospect Haul
is so talented that he should be deemed untouchable, it’s simply rare to see someone so young (Sanchez doesn’t turn 18 until April) be moved. While Sanchez lacks the upside of your typical on-the-radar
- My 2011 Least Valuable Player Picks
was a romantic interlude, what stage of hot-and-heaviness it would be in.)
It is the time of year that baseball scribes from around the country begin to pen their obligatory MVP and Cy Young ballot
- Dr. Laffey Dissects the Yankees
Mussina, I was instead treated to a great performance from a young Indians lefty named Aaron Laffey. One of those recently recalled to fill the void left by Jake Westbrook's DL stint, Laffey, a guy just
- Roy "The Complete Game" Halladay
for their ace. Hopefully the team can start scoring runs or else this former Cy Young Award winner may find himself qualifying for next month's edition of unluckiest pitchers.
- In a Run Support League of His Own
he plays for. Quite simply, they do not score runs for the guy.
In his young career, Cain has a 3.87 ERA, 3.90 FIP, 1.26 WHIP, right around league average 72.0% LOB rate, K/BB above 2, opposing
- Fishing For Nolasco
' pitching woes serving as a generalization for the entire team and their propensity for offense. Nolasco is not a Cy Young Award contender---though now that I think about it his W-L record could convince
- Maddux Steals His Way Into History
2002: Tomo Ohka/Michael Barrett
2004: Jason Marquis/Mike Matheny
2005: Jae Seo/Ramon Castro
2006: Matt Cain/Eliezer Alfonzo AND Chris Young/Mike Piazza
2007: Jeff Francis/Yorvit
- Remember That Volquez Guy?
. After a month, many were convinced that the trade was a win-win, because Hamilton's bat caught fire and Volquez emerged as the early Cy Young Award favorite in the National League. Few had truly
- What Constitutes a Rookie?
on the Rookie of the Year, Cy Young Award, and MVP each and every week, and we knew from the get-go that Volquez was not a rookie. If we---bloggers in our mothers basement---knew this guy
- KC = TB? Seriously??
be the 2008 Rays. Seriously? Their reasoning dealt with both being small market teams with plenty of young talent. I can unequivocally say that the 2009 Royals will not be the 2008 Rays. The 2008
- Twinkie Relief
to the 2006 Minnesota Twins. Johan Santana and his second Cy Young Award garnered much of the attention that year, but the Twinkies relief corps was far and away the best in the league. In fact, in this seven
- Bag-Packing Paulino
get a lefty reliever to fill in for Romero; the Giants get a young pitching prospect; and the Marlins get a backup catcher. Unfortunately, the Marlins starter, John Baker, is more suited for backup
- Everyone Joins the HR Party
the Philadelpia Phillies. The home run club members that day: Eddie Taubensee (2), Jeffrey Hammonds, Pokey Reese, Greg Vaughn, Mark Lewis, Aaron Boone, Brian Johnson, and Dmitri Young. Of the hitters
- Zimmerman's 17-Gamer
Ryan Zimmerman has been a bit of an offensive enigma in his young career, posting very solid numbers in his rookie campaign before taking steps backwards in seasons during which his age would call
- Growing Optimistic About Amaro
. Thankfully, at least Amaro feels the same way. It is time to give young pitchers a chance and to stop recycling the garbage that is Horacio Ramirez, Sidney Ponson, Adam Eaton, Brandon Backe, Bruce
- Scouting Newly Acquired Padres Prospect Hansel Rodriguez
associated with young arms and Rodriguez's proximity to the Majors forces his value grade down for now.
Here's some video from another source of Rodriguez as an amateur: link.
Here's some video
- Scouting the Prospects in the Matt Moore Deal
in my personal rankings.
Fox turned 19 last month and is extremely young for the full-season Sally League, where he was hitting .207/.305/.277. Fox's body was simply not ready for full-season ball
- Harrisburg: A Cautionary Tale From a Pennsylvanian
and Philadelphia has claimed many a promising young soul. You must resist the pull of the Harrisburg fast life. The nightclubs. The beautiful women. The drugs. The celebrity culture.
Avoid it all
- Apropos of Nothing: I Wore a Baseball Helmet to the Zoo Once
When I was a young child -- no older than five or six -- I owned a plastic Phillies helmet. It was basically a bigger version of those helmets they serve ice cream in at the ballpark, or a cheaper
- Webb Single-Handedly Beats Giants?
Diamondbacks victory and, according to WPA, it was pretty much all due to Brandon Webb. The former Cy Young Award winner went for 8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, and a pitching WPA of +.337. On top
- Pitching Trio of the Month
. Robertson (2.92), Justin Verlander (2.29), Kenny Rogers (2.21)
2007 - Padres: Jake Peavy (4.61), Chris Young (2.67), Greg Maddux (1.17)
A month into this 2008 season and there are three rotations
- Greinke's Start Shouldn't Surprise
Greinke has been the ace of the young Royals staff, posting the following numbers in his eight starts:
4-1, 1.93 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 2.75 K/BB, 7.0 IP/GS, 1.75 WPA, 17.47 BRAA
- The Sabathia "Turnaround"
Everyone knew this would be an important season for Cy Young Award incumbent C.C. Sabathia. Pitching in the final of his contract, with the type of money Johan Santana proved pitchers could receive
- Remember Cueto?
of the season, however, it appeared they had found themselves a great young pitcher in rookie Johnny Cueto. The media went nuts over this guy and analysts did their thing with regard to his
- Update: Cliff Lee is Still Good
a fluke than now when he seems to be much more for real. Regardless, it's time to check back in with our AL Cy Young Award-favorite and see how his season looks and what it might look like when
- Pitching Under September's Radar
Young Award contender, and he is above average, but he is in that area between being slightly above average and being well above average. This year was a typical Buehrle line with a 3.79 ERA and a 3.94
- Eaton and Chen
his performance has fallen relative to expectations. He looked pretty solid in 2003 and 2005, both seasons in spacious San Diego, before going to the Rangers in a trade netting the Friars Chris Young
- More on Trade Valuations
Last night began our journey into the land of trade valuations, looking at how the Eaton-Otsuka for Gonzalez-Young-Sledge deal compared to the Colon for Sizemore-Lee-Phillips deal. If you recall
- The Hamels Scare
name found its way into several columns discussing the Verducci Effect, which theorizes that young pitchers experiencing a significant increase in workload are more vulnerable to injuries.
- Phils, Mets, and Fifth Starter Competition
league club. And despite being young, Niese has not looked great either, with seven walks and six earned runs in eight innings. He has shown a knack for fanning hitters, but his control needs
- Torii's Storii on Garii
pitbulls, an aspect of their personality that could never be turned off.
Hunter then makes a very interesting point about Matthews' age: at 34, Gary isn't exactly a young guy, but he isn't exactly
- Angels Should Be Looking Elsewhere
The Los Angeles Angels have experienced a slew of unfortunate injuries on top of the devastating death of young Nick Adenhart. If starting the season without Kelvim Escobar in the rotation wasn't
- The Unnoticed Lefty
, the young ones reaching their potential like Tim Lincecum and Zack Greinke, and the ones that come from nowhere like Cliff Lee. Buehrle does not fit into any of these, and tends to fall into the same
- Martis is 5-0!
that will taint his current numbers regardless of a below average strand rate bound to improve.
Further, it also isn't as if Martis throws like Johnny Cueto, a young stud with a blazing fastball
- Quick Hook For Cabrera
and resurfacing in a couple of years like Kris Benson did, but his window as a young stud prospect bound for success if he corrects a few minor flaws has closed. Thankfully, nobody, including Rizzo, will have
- Game of the Week: 6/1-6/7
runners in scoring position with nobody out. Chris Young walked to load the bases, but didn't stay put for very long, as Josh Whitesell quickly plated all three runners with a bases clearing double
- A Month of College Prospects in Arizona
of round 1.
Longenhagen’s Grades: Fastball: 65/70, Slider: 55/60, Command: 40/50, FV: 50 (Low closer, high setup)
Alex Young, LHP, TCU
Ferrell’s teammate is another of about a half dozen Horned
- Against Pouting
The above footage from Tuesday's Giants-Dodgers broadcast has been making its way around the internet. As you will see in the video, a young man, having missed a shot at a foul ball proceeds
- Octavius V. Catto: Baseballer, Martyr
biography that was quite intriguing to me (and, likewise, should be intriguing to NotGraphers).
As it turns out, Catto was also an early baseballer. From Wikipedia:
Like many other young men
- Excerpts from "The Complete History of SABRland"
to a smoldering rubble. The worst of the fighting was over, and a young nation weary of war and the devastation it had wrought struggled to regroup. Still, sporadic clashes between guerilla units
- Murray Chass's MLB Fan Cave Essay
might as well draw a paycheck for something I was planning on doing anyway (namely, watching every single game and berating SABR geeks on the inter-net). I am of the belief that young baseball fans
- BBWAA, Get Your Act Together!
Young Award today, I legitimately felt like finding the addresses of some voters and berating them until they gave solid enough reasoning for their selections.
Cliff Lee deserved to win, so let's
- Milestones That Might Not Trigger a HoF Election
mentions here to Edgar Renteria, Michael Young, and Garret Anderson. Renteria seemed to be on pace for 3,000 hits a few years ago, but his career looks to be done at this point. Young should finish
- Non-All Star Award Winners
. In fact, from 2000-10, there are five other players who won either the MVP or Cy Young Award while not making the all star team at the midway point of the same season. Before getting
- Is Rasmus Worth An Extension?
brought in a young, cost-controlled centerfielder for three relievers, a starter that was never really meant for them in the first place, and Mark Teahen's contract. Rasmus was worth the risk
- Don't Forget About Denard Span
underrated player in the game — has also garnered plenty of attention in recent weeks. Before getting traded to Oakland, Chris Young was gaining recognition as a potential trade target, and his
- Justus Sheffield Finds Himself After A Tough Spring
The writer still grades the tools based on what they saw, I’m just letting the reader know what he would’ve seen in many other games from this season, particularly with young players that may
- Mark Appel Proved Wednesday The Big Stuff Is Back
The writer still grades the tools based on what they saw, I’m just letting the reader know what he would’ve seen in many other games from this season, particularly with young players that may
- Scouting Anderson Espinoza, Newest Padre Prospect
Chris Paddack, who San Diego got from Miami in exchange for Fernando Rodney, that write up is here. The Padres arm du jour is Anderson Espinoza, one of baseball most electric young arms and, in my
- Santana's Recent HR Drought
The biggest move this offseason saw Johan Santana heading to the Mets in exchange for Carlos Gomez and some more prospects. The former two-time (should be three-time) Cy Young Award winner looked
- ASG Breakdown: American League
with at least 220 PA:
C: Dioner Navarro (2), Jason Varitek (out of top ten)
1B: Justin Morneau (3)
2B: Ian Kinsler (1)
SS: Michael Young (1), and the only AL SS with positive WPA/LI
- Projecting Zimmerman
as a rookie? Come on, now...
His BABIP that season was a more earthbound .329 and given his young age, 21-22 years old, it was not too insane to think that this would merely serve as a stepping
- Best Pitching Performances #5-#1
. After having to fight for his job in Spring Training, Lee went onto win the 2008 AL Cy Young Award. Without attempting to stir any discussions about Lee/Halladay, his top performance of the year, via
- Mighty Joe Nelson
to stay around the big leagues, and realistically only put together one decent season. Nelson may be a valuable part of a bullpen next season, but do not mistake him for a young flamethrowing specialist
- Free Willy
annual value is even lower than the $4 mil fair market value based on his actual projection if the production fails to improve. Still, for an organization with some nice young pieces in place, a two
- Lowe, Perez To Sign Soon?
come here: would you rather take a chance on Perez, hoping the young lefty will return to performance closer to that one season with the Pirates? Or would you rather pay extra money for Lowe, given
- Twice Snakebitten
to longer deals and young, productive players still under club control, few roster spots are actually available, however.
Compound that with the supposed lack of payroll flexibility and Byrnes finds
- The Marlins' Stopgap Solution
correctly--meaning they don't work out a silly trade for Michael Young--the Marlins can really help themselves for the future by not forcing Dominguez into a starting role before he is ready
- Failure to Whiff: Lester's Place In History
were clearly not strangers to strikeouts. Yet on Friday, they fell way below expectations in this department. The season is much too young to begin investigating why strikeouts eluded these three, but we
- Addressing the James Loney Situation
is that he is still young at 27 years old, and he looks good in spite of the results.
His swing looks nice even if it lacks pop. He is agile and smooth in the field even if the numbers belie a mediocre
- Triple Slash Line Anomalies
/.417/.375. The season is still young, but out-OBPing a slugging percentage after 80-100 PAs is strange to the eye. Unorthodox slash lines like Abreu's stick out for their rarity and invite
- Greinke's Debut For the Brew Crew
campaign, or the still-great pitcher in 2008 and 2010? Greinke's luck indicators weren't otherworldly even in his Cy Young season -- it wasn't as if he posted a .232 BABIP or 92% strand rate. He
- Astros Wisely Accept Phillies Offer
for such a young hitter. The power is there, and will develop over time, but in looking at his underlying skills it is easy to see why many are bullish on his prospects.
Zeid is a 24-year old reliever from
- What Do the Brewers Do Now?
and the Astros will pick up most of the tab. Lee could start in left while Braun served his suspension, and probably shift to first base upon his return. Mat Gamel and Taylor Green are young
- Ryan Madson: Loser of the Offseason
makes more sense than doling out the big bucks to someone "established."
But Madson is still young, and has been very consistent over the past four years. He transformed from a potential non-tender
- Pirates Should Trade For Burnett
that there is an extreme aversion among fans to rebuilding teams signing veterans. But what are they supposed to do? Just give up completely and play young players before they are fully developed?
- Asdrubal Cabrera Signs Two Year Extension
year of arbitration eligibility as well as his first free agent year.
Given the price, the minimal commitment, and the ability for Cabrera to test the market while still a relatively young player
- What's the Deal With Ubaldo?
Ubaldo Jimenez was once a terrific young starting pitcher for the Colorado Rockies. He had tremendous raw talent and pitching acumen to boot. If harnessed, he figured to miss bats, keep the ball
- Scouting Dan Vogelbach and Co.
of young bats the Cubs have amassed at or near the major-league level. For several months, Vogelbach was an obvious potential trade candidate simply because the Cubs had nowhere to put him. Yesterday
- On Lenny
," and his "hustle" were all basically true. For young players in the early 90s, he was a perfectly acceptable model after which to fashion one's game. But baseball players are people too. Like us, the vast
- Jack McKeon and Authority
But team sources told The Post McKeon made the move after Ramirez arrived late for a 3:30pm local time team meeting.
In eighth grade, I had a Spanish teacher named Mr. Ehling. He was a young guy
- Introducing: The Negro Leagues Database
remember players like Cy Young and forget players like Cy Morgan is the former's statistical achievements and the latter's lack thereof. True, some statistics are more useful than others for discerning
- Jon Heyman: Birther?
precedent for young Latin American players to fudge their DOBs by a few years in order to make themselves more appealing on the US market. Just this September, it was revealed that Marlins reliever Juan
- 2012 Organizational Rankings: #21 - Cleveland
2012 Outlook: 47 (18th)
Once upon a time, in the mid-2000s, the Indians were brimming with young talent and very valuable major league pieces in C.C. Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Victor Martinez, Grady Sizemore
- Eric Hosmer Has Been the Most Clutch Hitter In the League
to smash the all-time highest career clutch rating set by Hall-of-Famer Tony Gwynn (9.49).
So what makes Eric Hosmer clutch at the young age of 26? His high baseball IQ. He is constantly aware
- The End of Lima Time?
begin a four-year span accompanied by a total of 147 surrendered dingers.
1999 proved to be his best season as he made the all-star team and garnered serious Cy Young Award consideration. In 35
- Trade Deadline Necessities #30-#21
to be traded. Most of the Dodgers core players are young and under team control, and the players that could be dealt -- Jamey Carroll, Rafael Furcal, James Loney and Casey Blake -- are either injured
- Why Did the Rockies Trade Ubaldo?
would drink. The young southpaw was the fifth overall pick last year, and cannot actually be traded until August 15 to abide by the good 'ole Pete Incavigla rule. After posting a 1.87 ERA and 11.1 K/9
- NLDS Preview: Phillies-Cardinals
use their young lefty, because there might not be a Game Four. We shouldn't expect anything less from La Russa, but this is a questionable decision that could cost them. Of course, given how
- The Strangely Thin Beltran Market
Crawford, but may find an affordable Beltran more desirable than Josh Reddick for a full season.
- The Tigers have Austin Jackson, and used both Brennan Boesch and Delmon Young, but Beltran
- The Diamondbacks Should Keep Parra
Gerardo Parra put together a solid, under the radar season over 141 games in 2011, posting a .340 wOBA and +10 UZR en route to three wins above replacement. He won a Gold Glove flanking Chris Young
- Diamondbacks Extend Miguel Montero
would ordinarily break the bank -- Justin Upton and Chris Young -- are signed through 2015 and 2014, respectively, at very affordable rates. Numerous other core players are either signed through
- Archie Bradley Impressed Last Night, Still Has Work To Do
The writer still grades the tools based on what they saw, I’m just letting the reader know what he would’ve seen in many other games from this season, particularly with young players that may
- Scouting Debutante Pirate, Tyler Glasnow
on the scale), albeit with more volatility and risk associated with that profile than is usual for a young arm that's already had success at Triple-A. I think, because of how explosive Glasnow's
- Arizona Fall League Roster Highlights
the opportunity to continue to face advanced pitching at a young age in Arizona. Also of note for Yankees, repeat Fall Leaguer Tyler Wade is listed as an outfielder on the initial roster, a sign that he's
- Ballad of a Phillies Fan
, but they got there, and that is what mattered to me. This year, however, was a different story. Perhaps making the playoffs for the first time in my young adult years spoiled me, but I had expectations
- Scouting the Dodgers' Electric Cuban Righty, Yadier Alvarez
fastball, 60 slider, 50 curveball, 45 changeup and 50+ control/command. Given how risky pitchers are, let alone ones as young as Alvarez, his Future Value grade is watered down a bit below his 70 ceiling
- An Early Look at the Corner Infielders in the 2017 MLB Draft
for a young-for-the-class prospect needn’t look further than Vientos, who will be about 17 and a half on draft day. Vientos has loads of physical projection and should grow into substantial power as he
- Jason Heyward, Eric Hinske and Joe Mather: NL Outfielders
on depth in the outfield. Let's look at the winners in this outfield mess.
Eric Hinske (4% owned in Yahoo, 8.3% in ESPN)
Obviously this career .256 hitter won't continue to hit .355, especially when
- Trade Deadline Necessities #10-#1
. While a young, cost-controlled center fielder with at least a league average bat should net more than a relief pitcher, it's possible that a return package would include a reliever or two capable
- July 2 Scouting Reports, Prospects 11-25
quickly through the system than some of the other young arms in this group.
19. Juan Contreras, RHP, Dominican Republic (Video)
Contreras has the best arm acceleration in the class, touching 97
- July 2 Scouting Reports: Best of the Rest
for their improprieties as well as two of the best young prospects left in Cuba.
Luis Noguera, LHP, Venezuela (Colorado Rockies, $600,000)
Noguera has a projectable body and solid repertoire
- Hi, I'm Eric and This Is My Malcolm X Baseball Card
It's a well-known adage of our time that NotGraphs contributors "are always hired in pairs." Yesterday, we introduced the readership to Mr. Patrick Dubuque. Today, we present the debut of Mr. Eric
- GIF: The Mysterious Mystery of Chris Young's Fastball
that Young also ownes the lowest BABIP (.248) among the aforementioned group of qualifiers. (Per Eric Seidman, he also features a pretty big margin between his measured fastball velocity and perceived
- 2013 Draft Day Retrospective: Clint Frazier and Eric Jagielo
and deep league dynasty formats, speed and power from the outfield is almost always valuable. Frazier is still young for his level (with a -2.7 age difference) and his power is continuing to develop
- Have Some Pridie, Young: NL Outfielders
? More like this: in the next two days he might get you a hit and a stolen base. Good luck!
Eric Young, Jr. (7% owned)
Here again, injury has felled the starter and allowed room for a late-season
- Roberto Osuna and the Aging Curve for Young Relievers
Way back in April, the Blue Jays turned some heads when they filled out their bullpen with a couple of 20-year-old A-Ballers: Miguel Castro and Roberto Osuna. Few doubted that these young arms had
- The Greatest Non-Cy Young Seasons in History
League MVP victory wasn't quite as clear-cut -- 23 to seven over Mike Trout -- and Dallas Keuchel's AL Cy Young even less so -- 22 to eight over David Price.
Still, most of the major award victories
- Financial Cost Of Tommy John Surgery To Young Pitchers
, Dylan Bundy, Alex White and Eric O'Flaherty, who went under the Tommy John knife last season. For these pitchers, the surgery and rehabilitation will consume critical service time in their careers
- Meme Attempt: Eric Sogard
Thinking man's base ball-ist Eric Sogard is, natch, something of a local hero on these electric pages. So because of his heroism and because he is indubitably a Thing That Contains Multitudes, we
- A Hall of Fame Moment, Parsed and in Context
a right-hander, Walker tracked down the ball for the second out. So far unremarkable, but what he did next stood out.
Walker handed the ball to a receptive young baseball fan in the front row
- The Irrational Exuberance of Eric Byrnes
If you've ever longed to see Eric Byrnes tear up Harold Reynolds like a parking ticket, then today, God-fearer, is your lucky-best day ...
- Confounding: Are the Rockies Rebuilding?
these two—so long as one of them is not one of the “young arms” rumored to be in play for Trumbo. If Gray and Butler can be shepherded to the big leagues in a timely manner and learn to pitch to major
- Buyer's Guide: The ottoneu Trade Deadline
production in case he isn't back in time to help, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
1) Prospects are not your only assets. Everyone starts with the prospects. Sellers want young pieces
- Mustache Watch: Eric Chavez
Yes, I'm positive that's not Don Mattingly. And, no, I couldn't find a better picture of Eric Chavez's new mustache.
But it's there. Look closely, and you can see it. And it's not just any
- FanGraphs Staff League 2 Season Preview
Avon Old Farms Winged Beavers
The Duda Abides
- ottoneu Prospecting for Non-Scouts
who are not actually prospects, but are young, talented and yet to break out. This year, I'd put Nick Franklin in that camp - you can't count on him to play, he is no longer a prospect, but if you
- Second Half Breakouts Based on ottoneu Points: Part II
Yesterday I kicked off this party with Part I which covers my methodology and includes a table of all the folks we're talking about.
It also looks at nine young guys - rookies and near rookies
- Zambrano and Volstad Swap Homes
a park that suppresses HR to a park that can be awfully homer-happy, particularly for lefties, who were a real problem for Volstad in 2011.
Volstad makes sense for the Cubs - he is young, cheap
- 3 Guys I Won't Buy in 2012 ottoneu Leagues
and a bunch of injury time), you'll be cutting him. There are reasons to be optimistic about the Tribe SS (mostly that he's still young enough to have a legit break out) but a sudden boost in HR/FB
- Chronicles of ottoneu: FanGraphs Experts League, Year Two
Neil FitzGerald (BaseballHQ)
Tom Keppy (BaseballHQ)
James Quintong (ESPN)
Jack Moore (RotoHardball, FanGraphs)
Eno Sarris (FanGraphs)
Chad Young (ottoneu, FanGraphs)
- Trades in a Vacuum
player at a good price with a track record of success can still be young enough and can still qualify as a great value. I was asked about a deal the other day involving Adam Jones and Dexter Fowler
- The Guys You Just Can't Quit
overlooked, as Ackley seemed to be the young 2B on every fantasy owner's shopping list. And when Kipnis tore the cover off the ball in his initial call-up, I was hooked. Even through some rough stretches, I
- ottoneu Arbitration: Who's Getting Hit?
three leagues, and for the most part, they make sense.
Kluber was practically an unknown before the season and certainly was not paid like a Cy Young winner. And this year was both great
- Ottoneu Arbitration: Examples from the Original League
Allan, the owner of the Leftovers, spent the last few years stockpiling inexpensive, young talent and waiting for it to mature. This year, he took the plunge, trading some of that value
- Ottoneu Offseason Primer
of it will be quite different, and that is what I want to focus on here.
Determine Where You are in the Big Picture. The Braves are young and improving, narrowly missed the post-season last year
- Dollar-for-Dollar All-Stars
- ottoneu Arbitration Update
. Machado is clearly one of the best young players in the game, having just posted a 6.2 WAR, good for 10th among all position players and fifth among 3B-eligible ottoneu players. Why would I be surprised
- Second Half Breakouts Based on ottoneu Points: Part I
We'll look at these guys in four groups: Today, we'll check out the rookies and the young breakout candidates; tomorrow, the established fantasy
- Going for Broke While Saving for the Future in ottoneu
, buying, I saw a chance to add some keepers. Dellin Betances and Ken Giles, at $3 each, immediately became the long-term backbone of my bullpen. Curtis Granderson isn't young, but he had a huge year
- Prying Away Prized Assets in Keepers
probably also have to overpay - those guys are studs, they are young, they are priced reasonably, and I have to overcome the endowment effect, which I find to be especially strong with guys who
- Our Most Common Bold Predictions
in some formats. Hunter Strickland got three nods, noting him as at least having a shot at closing, up to being a top 7 NL closer with 20+ Saves.
The other six who got three nods are young players we
- Off-season Roster Organization Part II
absolutely love my starting pitching? Love it. It's young, cheap and awesome. But, with that out of the way...
I can't legitimately keep 11 ML starters, let alone eight ML starters and three minor
- Auction Season is Underway
to building a solid roster. You can't afford a stud at every spot, so finding guys who fill lineup holes on the cheap is key.
Having said all of that, one of the hallmarks of a Chad Young auction
- Buy, Sell, or Stand - The Plight of a Team (Maybe) on the Verge
other young talent to try to add at least one more high-average, high-speed bat and at least one more SP. It means depleting a farm system I have spent two years building and that could be on the edge
- Sellers Guide: The ottoneu Trade Deadline
3) Prospects and cheap guys are not always the best targets. You want guys who can help you win, not guys who make you young. In the aforementioned experts league, I would love to add a $40 stud
- Cleaning Up Another's Mess: Taking Over Abandoned Teams
, a 20-team, 45-man-roster monstrosity, I am quickly discovering that almost every owner is focused on acquiring young talent, including prospects, with the hopes of hitting it big. This makes a lot of sense
- Update on a Deep League Roster Reconstruction
, but felt that my young pitching staff allowed me to shop him and this was easily the best offer I got. Lee and Anderson are not nothing, but neither of them are guys I care much about. Lee could still turn
- Looking Back at 2013
relatively equal targets if only because of the uncertainty around the production and health of any young pitcher. I won't go so far as to say that I predicted Harvey's injury, but making the decision
- Handling a Timid Auction
I was slow to adapt, and so instead of adding James Shields and Carlos Gonzalez, I ended up with Matt Holliday, a slew of young pitchers with potential, and flyers that could turn
- What to do with Prince Fielder?
ancient, it is not young either. It is not unreasonable to think that his 2013 performance was the start of a legitimate decline phase.
Let's check out a couple other "bad body" first basemen
- Balancing Future and Present at the Deadline
Kimbrel, Adam Wainwright) he and I have repeatedly debated the merits of those stars and my young up-and-comers.
So far, we have yet to find a match. Part of this was Brad's attempt to neuter my 2015
- Trading Scherzer (aka, the Difficulties of Valuing an Ace)
also has future value. He just turned 30 (Sunday, in fact - Happy Birthday, Max!), which isn't young, but isn't Jamie Moyer, either. Scherzer has consistently taken his rotation turns, hitting the 195
- Will Cy Young Voters Like Zach Britton’s Year?
and Recent Cy Young Voting
Let’s compare Britton's stats with the four other relievers to receive first-place Cy Young votes since Eric Gagne's 2003 victory, the last reliever season to actually win
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): OF Edition
- ottoneu Keepers - The Results
. Rubby de la Rosa was only kept in a quarter of leagues. Sure, his value in 2012 is next to nothing, but when people are paying a good price for top prospects, a young pitcher who has flown through
- Another Look at Day One of the FanGraphs Staff ottoneu Auction
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): 3B Edition
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): SS Edition
- ottoneu Cut Day Fallout
tied for being kept by the most owners, a list dominated by young stars and breakout performers:
- Time to Buy or Sell?
positions. Big mistake.
The next piece of the puzzle is how well situated you are to buy (or sell) even if you want to. In the original ottoneu league, I over-indexed on young prospects (David
- Avoid Rookies with your ottoneu Allocations
over two years, $33 to Bryant.
Instead, let's assume Bryant is a bust. His power doesn't translate, or he can't hit MLB breaking pitches or something. Instead of Stanton, he is Delmon Young
- Arb Hurts: What I'm Learning from the Allocations to my ottoneu teams
to be impossible to dump in the future.
It isn't as clear cut on my team, but the Seager and Arenado allocations suggest to me that I should check a team's reserve options. If I had a good young 3B
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): 2B Edition
- Mustache Watch: Eric Berger
Indians prospect Eric Berger has a mustache.
Let us crush the uprising.
Let us check our chained pocket watch before signing the railroad deed.
Let us agree not to speak
- Zach Britton Could Have a Real Cy Young Case
"Does Zach Britton have a shot at the Cy Young this year?"
It's a question I didn't take seriously at first. It's only happened once in the last 20 years, and Eric Gagne's 2003 season is perhaps
- Elements Of Eric Sogard's Wikipedia
Observe, the Wikipedia page of one Eric Sogard:
(Click to embiggen. Like, a lot.)
Now, allow me to highlight some notable elements of said Wikipedia page.
1. I hadn't heard this nickname
- Six Guys for Six Days
- ottoneu Keeper: Matt Joyce
- First-Pitch Strikes, Plate Discipline and Players Due to Bounce (or Fall) Back: Part 1
- First-Pitch Strikes, Plate Discipline and Players Due to Bounce (or Fall) Back: Part II
- For Whom the Bell Tolls; Or Why I Hate Closers
- Thinking '13: Three ottoneu Trades Focused on the Future
- Evaluating Pitchers Changing Teams
- Pitching Scoring Change in ottoneu Points Leagues
- ottoneu News: Keeper Deadline, Abandoned Teams
- Reshuffling the Top Five
- Seven Lessons from an ottoneu Auction
- ottoneu Auction Analysis Contest
- How to Handle the Tokyo Dome
- ottoneu Watchlist Wonders
- Why I am Not Only Keeping But Targeting Kyle Seager in ottoneu Leagues
- Who You Are Signing: Latest Adds in ottoneu
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Most Active Current Auctions
- ottoneu Points League Standings Analysis
- Managing a Team When You Can't Manage a Team
- Quarter Pole Evaluation: Using Rates to Find True Standings
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Matt Adams
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Lonnie Chisenhall
- Jose is Okay
- Why I Won't Bid on Correa (and most draftees)
- ottoneu Waiver Wire: Multiple Position Temps
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Furbush, Villarreal, Berry, Miley
- Trade Me C.J. Wilson
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Braves Starting Pitchers
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Ryan Ludwick and Jake Westbrook
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Lucas Duda
- Three Deals and a (Very Expensive) Keeper
- Don't Get Fooled: Finishing Strong in Points Leagues
- New and Improved ottoneu Arbitration Process
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Late Season Pick Ups
- 10 Bold Predictions Re-visited
- The Best (ottoneu) Team Money Can Buy
- Fantasy Awards: An Occasionally Dissenting Opinion
- ottoneu Arbitration Guide
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): C Edition
- ottoneu Hitter Rankings with Bill James Projections
- ottoneu Pitcher Rankings with Bill James Projections
- Players ottoneu Loved (and Hated): SP Edition
- My ottoneu Year's Resolutions
- Why Picking Your Projection System Matters
- ottoneu Trade Review: FanGraphs Experts League
- Rebuild, Retool, or Restock: Prepping for Year 2+ in ottoneu
- The Quest to Predict HR/FB Rate, Part 2
- Comparing Player Values Across ottoneu Scoring Systems
- The Quest to Predict HR/FB Rate, Part 5
- The No-Plan Plan: Prepping for a Year One ottoneu Auction
- Breaking from Consensus: Where ottoneu Rankings Differ
- ottoneu Values Refreshed
- Breaking from Consensus: Where ottoneu Rankings Differ
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Opening Day Auctions
- The Waiting Game: Balancing the Use of SP in ottoneu
- Reasons to Believe in Brandon Crawford
- Early Batted Ball Distance Gainers and Losers
- Know When to Fold'em
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Cody Allen and John Lackey
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Catcher Edition
- Potential ottoneu Value in Minors: Davis, Ackley, Chisenhall
- Handling the Monday/Thursday Blues
- Know When to Fold'Em, Reprised
- I'm Old and I'm Swinging for the Fences: Raul Ibanez, Power Producer
- Players Who are Helping You Win
- Ryan Braun: ottoneu Trade Target
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Phillies Edition (and also an Astro)
- Chain Reaction: What Happens When Ryan Braun Gets Cut
- Pricing Pujols
- Playoff Strategy: Reacquainting Myself with H2H Leagues
- ottoneu Hot Right Now: Top Final Week Auctions
- 10 Bold Predictions Revisited
- An ottoneu View of End of Season Ranks
- Soft Innings Caps and ottoneu Strategy
- Reconsidering My Player Valuation Method
- Arbitration by Team Rather than Player
- ottoneu Vote Off Results
- Fielder Headed to Homer Haven (Right?)
- Fantasy Scoring for Real Baseball
- Valuing Opportunity
- Counting on Corbin
- Kelly Johnson and Scott Sizemore: Deep League MI Options
- Carlos Santana - Fantasy 3B?
- ottoneu Post-Keeper Deadline Round Up
- Auction Assets: What I Bring to an ottoneu Auction
- Finding the Victory in Victorino
- Recovering from a Blown Auction
- Handling Long-Term Injuries in ottoneu
- The Right Time to Buy TJ Returnees
- Should You Worry About Justin Masterson?
- The Shrinking Jean Segura Trade Market
- Michael Brantley: Better than you Think
- A Less Balanced Country Breakfast
- Ike Davis and the Missing HR
- Chasing Chase: Why You Should Consider Headley
- Revisiting Justin Masterson
- A Quick Look at June Breakouts
- ottoneu Bidding on Rusney Castillo
- Cutting Star Players in ottoneu
- Yan is the Man, and Could be for a While
- ottoneu Trade Targets (and Trade Bait): (IF Edition)
- ottoneu Trade Targets (and Trade Bait): OF and SP
- Auction Values for ottoneu leagues
- Variance in Keeper Strategies in ottoneu
- ottoneu Auction Recap: When the Available Players Don't Help
- Pricing RP in ottoneu
- Walk Down Memory Lane - 2006 ottoneu Rosters
- What to Make of Julio Teheran
- Buy or Sell on Hard Hit%
- How Much is Too Much to Acquire Mike Trout?
- The Value of Top MLB Draft Picks in ottoneu
- Ignoring Arbitration in ottoneu
- Getting Aggressive (or not) in the H2H Post-Season
- Bold Predictions Revisited: Quest for an 0-fer
- Roto Comeback Hitter Award
- Is Trout Worth It?
- ottoneu Arbitration Results
- Themed Teams - Some Semi-Off-Topic Fun
- Surplus vs. Roster - Building and Evaluating Trades
- When (and why) to Ignore Projections
- Player Values Across ottoneu Formats
- Evaluating a Slow Auction
- Using Projected Standings to Set Strategy
- How to Turn an Easily-Acquired Giancarlo Stanton into Nothing in Three Easy Steps
- Young Ichiro
Young Ichiro wonders what all the commotion is about.
Young Ichiro, if forced to put a name on his look -- and he wouldn't do it unless you forced him -- might call it the "Doctor of Love
- Eric Hacker's 15 Minutes
Signs that the uneventful portion of the offseason is upon us: Eric Hacker stole the spotlight for about an hour’s span yesterday. There are a lot of starting points in most acquisitions
- Eric Hosmer's BABIP
Eric Hosmer has been a huge disappointment this season with a 0.174/0.243/0.316 slash line. Most of his problems stem from a 0.169 BABIP. I am going to look to see if there are any under lying
- Eric Cooper's Strikezone
17 year veteran Eric Cooper is going to be behind the plate for the Wild Card game. Per Baseball Heat Maps, here's Cooper's called strike zone compared to the league average (warmer
- Diamondbacks Sign Eric Chavez
The third base market continues to clear. Eric Chavez is now off the market, as the Diamondbacks signed the veteran to a one-year, $3 million deal Wednesday.
As the contract suggests, Chavez
- Revisiting Eric Chavez' Extension
Eric Chavez’ career could be coming to a close soon. The list of injuries associated with Chavez is long and tiresome and this news has simply thrown gas on a debate just as silly; whether Billy
- Eric Gagne Dominated Righties
Eric Gagne's run from 2002 to 2004 is historic. Over this three-year period, the goggled Canadian saved a staggering 152 games against only 6 blown saves, including a streak of 84 straight. Gagne
- Eric Jagielo Developing Approach
Brooklyn, New York -- Eric Jagielo measures up, literally, like a New York Yankee.
At 6'2", weighing 195 he fits the mold. So does the power he projects. But in his first professional season
- Q&A: Eric Hosmer
Eric Hosmer finished third in this year’s American League Rookie-of-the-Year balloting, but you might not want to bet against his going on to have a better career than the players who finished one
- Eric Hosmer Gets the Call
to the conclusion that Ka'aihue is no Eric Hosmer. Yesterday, they made the switch official, swapping the two between Triple-A and the majors, and Hosmer will take over at first base for the Royals
- Arguing With Myself: Eric Hosmer
the merits of Eric Hosmer, with my friends Bull and Bear starring in the show.
Bull: 3rd place in the ROY voting, 19 home runs in 523 ABs while hitting .293. Sounds darn good to me!
- Eric Hosmer: BABIP Stooge
Scroll a little more than halfway down Zach Sanders' End of Season First Base Rankings, and there at number 31 you'll find Kansas City Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer with a measly $1 value attached
- The Powerless and Speedless Eric Hosmer
Like seemingly every Royals hitter at some point in the last couple of years, we have been waiting for a major Eric Hosmer breakout since he debuted in 2011. He teased us with his power potential
- Quiz: Delmon Young or Delwyn Young?
regarding at least a few baseball-related things. It's time to play America's favorite game: Delmon Young or Delwyn Young?
Take the quiz below to find out if you are ready for the upcoming season
- The Young Dilemma
The big news of the day in baseball is that the Texas Rangers have officially asked Michael Young to move to third base to make room for hot prospect Elvis Andrus, and that he was offended enough
- Four Widely Available Young Hitters: Hedges, Zunino, Vogelbach and Gallo
to check out the latest scouting report for Vogelbach from in-house prospect guru Eric Longenhagen. The burly one's Triple-A line (16 homers, 15.1% walk rate, 18.4% strikeout rate, .318/.425/.548 and 156
- "Young" Buccs
The dust has settled after a mini-fury of deals for the Pirates, and it looks like a couple young outfielders ended up gaining some playing time. The bad news is that, beyond wunderkind Andrew
- Great Moments in Spectacles: Eric Sogard
Reader and writer Bryz directs us to this image of Eric Sogard (from the latter's MLB.com page), whose omission from Team Joy Squad may or may not represent an error on the part of this author.
- Eric Sogard Meme: Urgent Addition
Ultimately, I blame myself. I thought the first attempt at the Eric Sogard Meme was complete enough, if not entirely exhaustive. But there was one so conspicuous in its absence that it rendered
- Eric Davis's Rather Large Firearm
that they are best symbolized by a large gun. The other, less obvious explanation is that the streets of Cincinnati are afflicted and in need of taking back. And so desperate are conditions that only Eric Davis
- Eric Thames (Might Be) Useful In Seattle
As you no doubt have heard, Eric Thames has traded blue for teal in being shipped to the Seattle Mariners with Steve Delabar going to the Toronto Blue Jays. And while I pray your fantasy roster has
- Eric Chavez Reborn in New York
There was a time when Eric Chavez was on a hall-of-fame-level career path. Through 2006 -- his age-28 season and his eighth full major league campaign -- Chavez had a .271/.350/.489 batting line, 212
- Let's Explain Eric Hosmer's WAR
Eric Hosmer is still sitting on one home run as we approach the one-fourth point of the regular season. He hasn't hit fewer than 14 dingers yet in a year, so it's clear that Hosmer's still looking
- Eric Hosmer versus Javier Lopez
. But in practice, it was a workmanlike effort and a mistake that finally ended the battle between Eric Hosmer and Javier Lopez.
The first pitch was a mistake from Lopez. High in the zone
- Eric Hosmer: Is This a Hot Streak or Is It Real?
Only one other first baseman has as many homers as Chris Davis over the past 14 days. Since you are reading this post you can surmise that it is Eric Hosmer, and the hot streak over the past few