- High-End Free Agents: Do They Exist?
- Which Center Fielders Made the Plays that Mattered Most?
- The Daily Grind: Estrada, DeSclafani, Wright
Daily DFS - Astros vs. Estrada
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - DeSclafani, Wright, Napoli, Inciarte
1. Moving Along
I'm way behind schedule
- David Wright Deal a Solid Bet for Mets
Multiple sources are reporting that David Wright and the New York Mets have reached agreement on a contract extension that essentially makes the third baseman a Met for life.
Initial reports have
- Another Look at Tom Glavine’s Generous Strike Zone
- Gravity (Not the Movie)
- Young Power / What Could Have Been if Miguel Sano Didn’t Need Tommy John Surgery
- Peter O’Brien’s Raw Power: Estimating Batted-Ball Velocities in the Minor Leagues
- Dellin Betances's Jedi Mind Tricks
- How Tommy John Surgery Helped George Kontos
Tommy John surgery might have been the best thing that could have happened to George Kontos. In 2009, the Giants' right-hander was in Triple-A for the first time, and he had the kind of stuff
- Sunday Notes: NYY Yates, Fields, Hinch, Wright, Nola, more
that if you’re a major league pitcher, you should be able to go any given day, unless you’re hurt. Sore, you can deal with.”
Steven Wright is starting for the Red Sox today. The knuckleballer
- Someone Give Juan Uribe a Job
- Running Into an Out as a Strategy
- The George Springer Who Isn't George Springer
to know who George Springer is.
Who am I kidding, of course you know who George Springer is. He was a first round draft pick. He's been one of the best prospects in baseball for years. He slugged
- David Wright's Many Faces
It's hard to believe, but 2013 will be the 10th major league season for David Wright. In those ten years, it seems like he's been about three different players.
Wright has hit as many as 33 home
- David Wright's Wacky 2009
. They lost up-the-middle stars Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran, 1B Carlos Delgado and ace Johan Santana, among others, for big chunks of the season.
Third baseman David Wright wasn't immune
- It's Time to Buy Into Steven Wright
are indicating is that Steven Wright has mastered the weirdest pitch in the sport.
Wright faced the Orioles Monday, and he threw a pitch that kind of went viral. I wouldn't say
- David Wright's Power Outage
in what was supposed to be a ceremonious christening like the other New York team witnessed. Amongst the questions the Mets will attempt to answer during the off-season includes David Wright’s 2009
- The Wright-Cruz Rumor
Yesterday, Keith Law confirmed an interesting old trade rumor, noting that he was in the room in 2002 when Steve Phillips offered J.P. Ricciardi a straight up swap of David Wright for Jose Cruz Jr
- Jamey Wright Improving With Age
Jamey Wright turned 39 on December 24, and he celebrated by signing a one-year deal worth $1.8 million with the Dodgers. As far as offseason signings go, it's a relatively minor one, and coming
- Wright? Wrong. Shaw? Positive.
pitcher, especially one who’s leading the AL in ERA and Quality Starts. Nonetheless, that’s how we see things with Steven Wright.
You probably know Wright’s story. He was on the road to being
- Songs Not Inspired by George Brett
A story that broke today was, like so many stories during the early off-season, about a young songstress from New Zealand and George Brett. As it happens, the title of the very popular Lorde song
- George Brett Poops Himself
This past weekend at the FanGraphs gathering in Phoenix, Mr. Carson Cistulli stated that he had never seen the George Brett-poops-himself video. I couln't believe it, so I decided to hook him up
- Highlight in Reverse: George Springer
Because I've been searching for a new theme/writing crutch, I present Highlights in Reverse.
Here's George Springer doing a barrel roll, flipping the ball back the plate, and backpedaling to right
- George Plimpton Is Not Impressed by the Atari
of the second gentleman that would drive such a nice guy to such an uncharacteristic furor. That man was none other than the famous author and editor of the Paris Review, George Plimpton.
- What Is Wrong With Wright?
Twice in the last week I was asked if the concussion that David Wright received on August 15, 2009 from a Matt Cain fastball was the cause of his recent drop in production. I decided see what
- George Steinbrenner Passes
George Steinbrenner, perhaps the most famous owner in sports, passed away today. Since I have no personal anecdotes to share, we'll simply stick to the numbers.
He was in his 37th year of owning
- Meet the All-or-Nothing David Wright
You don't need to know what spinal stenosis is to know you don't want it, and to know it's bad that David Wright has it. No major-league baseball player would choose the condition for himself
- Domingo Santana as George Springer
, and we dream big.
I'm here to talk about Domingo Santana. But first, I want to talk about George Springer.
There was a point in time that the Houston Astros envisioned an outfield of the future
- George Springer and Maximizing Contact
, people were very worried about George Springer after an underwhelming first couple weeks. Of course, Springer didn't have Encarnacion's track record, and of course, Springer was a rookie getting
- Dodgers Acquire George Sherrill
Ned Colletti couldn’t come up with Cliff Lee so instead, today he adds a different southpaw pitcher in the form of George Sherrill; in the process giving up prospects in the form of third baseman
- Preparing for the George Springer Experiment
Among the brightest of potential stars is 24-year-old George Springer. The former first-round pick ought to debut somewhere in 2014, and Springer is nearly the perfect prospect. He has
- George Steinbrenner's Teams
As you likely have already heard, George Steinbrenner died today of a heart attack at the age of 80. Steinbrenner has been a gigantic figure in the baseball world since his purchase of the New York
- Is David Wright Worth $100 Million?
There has been a lot of speculation whether David Wright will remain a New York Met. While the club still has a $16 million option on the 29-year-old third baseman for next season, Wright has been
- Theo Epstein Loves George Kottaras
2002: Theo Epstein works for the San Diego Padres; Kottaras is selected in the 2002 draft by the Padres.
2006: Theo Epstein, GM of the Red Sox, trades for George Kottaras.
2013: Theo Epstein
- Why Not George Kottaras?
the plate over George Kottaras? Has the curmudgeonly Phillip Seymour Hoffman taken over the body of Bob Melvin and ignored the wishes of Brad Pitt Billy Beane who brought in an underrated Kottaras
- The Royals, George Kottaras, and Cash
Back in March, I wrote about the alleged spring training positional battle story for the Royals' backup catcher spot between George Kottaras. For all of Kottaras' defensive liabilities, it was pretty
- They Can't All Be George Springer
This just in -- George Springer is really good. Like Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Yasiel Puig, and seemingly a bevy of other players the past few years, Springer is making it look super easy
- George Springer, In Progress
out in my mind, because it stuck out in my mind back then. George Springer neither started the rally nor ended it, but he did keep it alive with the bases empty and the Astros down to their last strike
- David Wright: Extend, Trade, or Wait?
A few weeks ago, David Wright told Jon Heyman that he was "extremely optimistic" about the chances of reaching a long term contract extension with the Mets, and said all the right things about
- David Wright Commences, Abandons the Jigglin'
Such was the case with young David Wright last night. With the score tied 3-3 in the bottom of the tenth inning, bases loaded and two outs, Wright was less than 90 feet away from
- David Wright: Greatest Met Ever?
David Wright set the Mets’ all-time career RBI record last night, passing Darryl Strawberry, but he was already high on the list of the greatest Mets position players of all time. In fact, by Wins
- Steven Wright Should Float On Ok
On Tuesday night, Steven Wright was roughed up for nine hits and eight earned runs in 4.2 innings against the Tigers. Amazingly, he remains seventh among qualified starters in the AL with a 3.12 ERA
- Did The Mets Lowball David Wright?
This morning, Ken Rosenthal reported that the Mets offered David Wright a six year, $100 million extension, noting that it was an offer that Wright was sure to refuse. After all, the terms
- Steven Wright as a Joe Kelly Alternative
. While youngsters Henry Owens and Eduardo Rodriguez are the two best long-term prospects and might be ready for an audition, John Farrell has made sure the beat writers keep Steven Wright's name
- Mets Listening: Who Is the Wright Fit?
out of New York suggest that Sandy Alderson believes 2014 or 2015 is a more realistic window for contention for his club, which leaves third baseman David Wright’s future with the organization
- The Daily Grind: Strasburg, Wright, Castillo
Daily DFS - Strasburg, Wright
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - Gonzalez, Sanchez, Castillo, Burns
1. Daily DFS - Strasburg, Wright
- The Daily Grind: Fiers, Wright, Wilson
Daily DFS - Fiers, Collmenter
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - Wright, Wilson, Moreland, Burns
1. The Rake
Let's continue talking about the future
- Wright's Stuff: Talking Knuckleballs with a Knuckleballer
It's not everyday you get the opportunity to speak with someone who's mastered a craft to which few others in the world can lay claim. Red Sox pitcher Steven Wright, drafted as a conventional pitcher
- Mark DeRosa on the Late George Sauer
This past weekend the New York Times ran an obituary for a 69-year-old former football player named George Sauer. Mr. Sauer was an accomplished wide receiver who made four Pro Bowls. In 1967, he led
- Prospect Watch: George Springer Edition
of the current year); Top-15, the prospect's place on Marc Hulet's preseason organizational list; and Top-100, that same prospect's rank on Hulet's overall top-100 list.
*** George Springer, OF, Houston
- JABO: George Springer, Fastballs, and Effort
It takes a lot of muscle to square up a big fastball. In the case of George Springer, it might also take some relaxation.
Heading into the series that had the Astros in town, I asked hitting
- George Springer: Power and Speed Outfielder
Houston Astros outfield prospect George Springer has some of the loudest tools in the minor leagues. He’s a fantastic athlete with a combination of power and speed that’s rarely found in a player
- Assessing George Springer's Contract Situation
As many should know by now, George Springer is a highly touted and talented player, a huge part of the Houston Astros' future. He has been on the brink of 40 home runs and 40 steals in both 2012
- Other Things David Wright Offers Besides Statistics
David Wright offers both products and services.
To the saberist's eye, Alden Gonzalez's claim (at the Mets official site) that "David Wright offers the Mets more than mere statistics" might sound
- 2015 Pod Projections: George Springer
decided to take commenter Cason Jolette's (Jason Colette's mysterious brother?) suggestion to discuss former uber prospect, Astros sophomore outfielder George Springer. His coming out party was cut
- How High Should One Draft David Wright?
According to the RotoTimes Player Rater, David Wright is one of five hitters to be among the top 12 batters in both 2007 and 2008. Wright finished fourth in dollar value both seasons. The only
- Analyzing David Wright With Just One Swing
2014 was a disappointment for David Wright, posting his lowest career numbers in almost every offensive category: OBP, SLG, OPS, ISO, wRC+, wOBA, and WAR. Cries of Wright being washed up began
- David Wright: Swinging Off — But Near — the Black
David Wright experienced a resurgence of sorts in 2012. After four straight outstanding offense seasons, Wright's offensive production dipped significantly in 2009 — from a 141 wRC+ to 125. In 2011
- David Wright's Power Outage Part 2
Earlier in the day, RJ took a look at David Wright's drop in power. Although a number of Mets lost power in 2009 (most likely as a result of the move to Citi Field), Wright saw the biggest decline
- Mets David Wright Not a Golden Goose (Pt. 1)
As the hot stove league kicks into full gear, Mets third baseman David Wright has taken center stage as reports have the Anaheim Angels a potential trade partner. With centerfielder Peter Bourjos
- Ike Davis Is the Punchline to a Steven Wright Joke
Wright joke (originally from his album I Have a Pony, I think).
Step Three: Laugh the laugh of a carefree -- and maybe slightly xenophobic -- but mostly a carefree child.
Image of Ike Davis
- Better Arm: Bryce Harper or George Washington?
Your browser does not support iframes.
A popular myth holds that George Washington once threw a silver dollar across the Potomac River. Right-minded people everywhere know the truth, of course
- You Decide: George Bell or Lionel Richie?
-Dot-Dot posited that the blind girl's tender ministrations led not to a loving rendering of Lionel Richie but rather to the determined visage of Blue Jays legend George Bell. I submit into evidence
- Timely GIF: George Springer's Impressive Home Run
, you have a penchant for the most American of sport, then perhaps Astros prospect George Springer can use his line-drive homer and casual bat-flip to help you out with that dust situation
- Renegades Darryl George Strong Finish At The Plate
Hudson Valley, NY -- Hudson Valley infielder Darryl George gave the team a boost at a crucial point.
In his final games, he stayed consistent, giving the playoff-hopeful Renegades a shot
- BABIP Leaders: Wright, Freese, and Kemp Start Strong
five BABIPs in the league with FI wOBA regressed to career BABIP rates (or CaB-FIw for Career BABIP FI wOBA).
David Wright: .536 BABIP, .503 wOBA, .424 CaB-FIw
Even if/when Wright's BABIP comes
- Mets David Wright Not a Golden Goose (Pt. 2)
Monday's part one piece discussing the trade value of Mets third baseman David Wright using a rumored deal that he could head to Anaheim for Peter Bourjos-plus was met with mixed reactions as New
- George Brett, Bo Jackson, and the Finger of Honor
the result of that cause.
What one will find in this photo, after the appropriate measures have been taken, is Hall of Famer George Brett and teammate Bo Jackson, circa 1989, presenting from the lush
- The Story Behind George Brett's Hand-Picked 5-Pack
. 20 against the Rangers.
I'm confused about this hand-picked-ness. Did they literally give George Brett the schedule and tell him to choose the 5 most awesome games of the year
- David Wright Is Not Getting Much Help From Jobu
We are a quarter of the way through the 2010 season and David Wright has appeared to put the ghosts of 2009 behind him. After hitting only 10 HR all of last year, he has already hit 8 this year
- Mets Infield: David Wright and Some Upside
– at prices that may be bargains come draft day.
The discussion, as usual, begins with David Wright, the face of the franchise and the team’s best position player. Although he’s no longer
- Q&A: Jim Wright, Colorado Rockies Pitching Coach
Jim Wright is currently entrusted with helping Rockies hurlers succeed in that hitter-friendly environment. He can’t do anything about the effect of altitude on batted and thrown baseballs
- Annual What To Do Now That David Wright Is Hurt
I suppose it could be Ryan Zimmerman or Brett Lawrie or Manny Machado, but I tend to pick on David Wright so why not be consistent. Third base has been kind of a minefield lately and no doubt
- The Pressures of New York Will Lower David Wright’s BABIP
David Wright has a batting average on balls in play of .467 through 300 plate appearances. That’s right, nearly half of the balls Wright puts into play are turning into hits. As such, Wright has
- George Kottaras and John Jaso Walk a Lot
Talk about a pair of unlikely walk champions.
George Kottaras entered the season entrenched as the Milwaukee Brewers’ backup catcher. The Brewers had signed Gregg Zaun during the off-season
- Domingo Santana Is Making the George Springer Adjustment
If George Springer's rookie season was like a breath of fresh air, then last year represented a sigh of relief. The breath of fresh air, because Springer was not only great, but great
- Mock Battle: George Springer vs. Matt Kemp
interest was of George Springer, who I took in the fifth round with the 55th overall pick. Chris Cwik selected Matt Kemp with the next pick, which provides a compelling player for comparison.
- Reviewing 2015 Pod Projections: George Springer
For our third Pod Projection review of the season, I will recap what was predicted and what actually happened for George Springer in his sophomore season. Refresh your memory by checking back on my
- Has George Springer Hit His Peak?
Last offseason, Jeff Sullivan noted the dramatic changes George Springer made to his contact and pull rates and how that transformation appeared to make the Astros' right fielder a safer bet going
- George Springer: Worthy of Your Mixed-League Love
I'll cut to the chase right from the start: George Springer is worth drafting in mixed re-draft leagues in 2014. Even if he doesn't start the year on the major-league roster, he has the potential
- Still Not Buying George Springer In All Leagues?
To some extent, sure, pick up George Springer in all leagues. Dude obviously has power, and he's supposed to have speed, and he's got enough upside to be owned in all leagues. And yet, if you're
- George Springer, Archie Bradley & The Service-Time Dance
The Houston Astros added outfielder George Springer to their major league roster on Tuesday night and batted him second in the lineup in their game on Wednesday against the Kansas City Royals
- The Astros Outfield: Love Me Some George Springer
has to start with one man, George Springer.
Springer started 2014 in the minors but was in the big leagues by mid-April where he racked up 345 PA before a quadricep injury ended his season in early
- Joc Pederson as George Springer as Evolving Juggernaut
Another segue of questionably better quality: he reminds me of George Springer for reasons not entirely surprising.
Springer's a strong kid. So is Pederson, as evidenced by Jeff Sullivan
- David Wright Contract Extension: Big Apple, 3 AM
According to Ed Coleman of WFAN 660, the Mets have signed third baseman David Wright to a seven-year, $122 million contract extension, the biggest in franchise history. The contract makes Wright
- George Springer Update GIF: Diving Catch That Just Happened
Generally speaking, the tastes of the vulgar crowd are precisely the sort that ought to be ignored. In the case of George Springer, however -- which Houston Astros prospect is distinctly