- Confounding: Are the Rockies Rebuilding?
- The Rockies’ One Through Eight: the Small Successes and Failures of Lineup Construction
- A Hall of Fame Moment, Parsed and in Context
- Hector Santiago Throws a Screwball
Hector Santiago deserves a full write-up on one fact alone: he throws a screwball. Other than Daniel Herrera -- the short former Red and Met with floppy hair that hasn't seen the majors or minors
- GIF: Hector Santiago Throws a Screwgie
It's possible that the screwball Hector Santiago throws is actually not that great of a pitch. It doesn't get a ton of whiffs or grounders, he seems to have lost control of it a bit, there's a chance
- Freddy Garcia Is Staying Alive
Rare is it when a pitcher’s ERA, FIP, and xFIP are in a state of complete accord. Nearly as rare is Freddy Garcia pitching more than 100 innings in any given season during these twilight years of his
- Q&A: Hector Santiago, Screwball Artist
Hector Santiago reads FanGraphs and throws a screwball. The former puts the Chicago White Sox southpaw in the minority among big-league players. The latter makes him quite unique.
- Cardinals Extend Jaime Garcia
The St. Louis Cardinals moved today to lock up one of their important young pieces, signing pitcher and potential ace-in-the-making Jaime Garcia to a four year contract worth $27.5 million. The deal
- Keeper Question: Jaime Garcia
Garcia missed most of the 2009 season after undergoing the procedure following the 2008 season. In his first full season back, Garcia not only pitched quite well, he did so in the majors, having
- Forgotten: Lefty Jaime Garcia
Cardinals left hander Jaime Garcia almost opted for professional baseball in his native country of Mexico in 2005. But area scout Joe Almaraz convinced Garcia to sign with the St. Louis
- Spoiler Alert: It's Garcia Time
is handing the ball to Freddy Garcia, former Mariners and White Sox great, who won a ring with the White Sox in 2005.
Garcia spent last season with the Phillies, though most of it was not actually
- Freddy Garcia: Value in Pinstripes?
Freddy Garcia did not even make our initial AL starting pitcher rankings. After a strong start to the season, at least on the surface, in a month's worth of work, the question is whether this old
- Bourgeois & Garcia: Waiver Wire
like the elite baserunners, he's going to help your team.
Freddy Garcia | SP | Yankees | Ownership: 29% Yahoo!, 45.7%
The Yankees decided not to blow their prospect wad on a starting pitcher
- Spotted: Karim Garcia Homering Importantly
major-leaguer Karim Garcia, currently of Mexican club Yaquis de Obregón.
In tonight's edition, we find a another grainy daguerreotype -- in this case, not of Garcia being walked intentionally
- Jaime Garcia's Return Key for Cardinals
Eleven innings after his departure Jaime Garcia's return to the Cardinals' rotation was buried by the absurdity of one of the season's longest games. After battling back from one run down in the 16th
- Hector Santiago and Fernando Rodney Are Closing Games
Robin Ventura and Joe Maddon made confusing closer situations a bit more clear this weekend, as both have seemingly 'named' temporary closers. Hector Santiago, owner of a nifty screwball
- Freddy Garcia and the Value of Broken Starters
From 2001 to 2006, Freddy Garcia posted six consecutive seasons with 200 or more innings pitched, and while he wasn't an ace, he was an above average durable starting pitcher. That skillset helped
- Jaime Garcia Is the New Adam Wainwright
was a perfectly reasonable projection.
Perfectly reasonable until we realize that Jaime Garcia is the new Adam Wainwright.
As Garcia climbed the minor league ranks, he seemed to have some potential
- Turning to Freddy Garcia With the Season on the Line
Clayton Kershaw again, so, yeah, this isn't a great situation -- and are turning to Freddy Garcia in this win-or-go-home game. Yes, the Freddy Garcia who turned 37 yesterday, and has had a season
- Hector Santiago Departs the Windy City, Heads to Disneyland
Well not quite. The Angels front office would likely be a bit annoyed if Hector Santiago visited Disneyland during their home games, rather than show up at Angel Stadium. Two weeks ago, Santiago
- Time for Giants to Part Ways with Hector Sanchez
San Francisco Giants backup catcher Hector Sanchez is a ball magnet.
Every single time he plays — and this is no exaggeration — he takes a savage beating behind home plate. Foul tips rock his
- Luck and Skill Converging for Jaime Garcia
If not for Ubaldo Jimenez's continued dominance, Jaime Garcia might be the big story of the National League right now. Garcia pitched six shutout innings last night, holding the Padres to just three
- Hector Santiago’s Eventual Return to Relevance
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim couldn’t have asked for Hector Santiago’s first season with the club to begin much worse. He’d had a good spring, with a 3.63 ERA and a 24:9 K/BB, but he opened 0-6
- Spotted: Karim Garcia on First Base
First, Karim Garcia was Baseball America's seventh-overall prospect. Then, he played on at least 11 different teams in at least four different countries. Then he hit a single in the bottom
- NLCS Scouting: Greinke vs. Garcia
Why, hello to you too.
Toinght, 8:10pm: Zack Greinke vs. Jaime Garcia.
Zack Greinke (3.83 ERA, 2.66 SIERA)
Greinke has spawned a Twitter war this afternoon, as everyone seemingly wants
- Milone and Garcia: NL Starting Pitchers
struggles with runners on base.
With a month of the season left to go, Garcia has thrown almost exactly the same number of innings he threw last year with the exact same number
- Christian Garcia: The Nationals' K-Rod?
Christian Garcia, 27, came up from the minors this month and has struck out seven against two unintentional walks in six innings of work. The only run he's allowed came on a Giancarlo Stanton solo
- Prospect Watch: McMahon, Rondon, and Garcia
***Jarlin Garcia, LHP, Miami Marlins (Profile)
Level: Low-A Age: 21 Top-15: N/A Top-100: N/A
Line: 15 IP, 13 H, 6 R, 17/4 K/BB, 2.40 ERA, 2.60 FIP
It's hard not to like a lefty who
- Spotted: Karim Garcia Getting Walked Intentionally
It's not immediately clear to the author what set of circumstances might have led to the six intentional walks recorded by Karim Garcia during his 10-year major-league career. Whatever
- Hot Stove Rumors: Trojans, Greeks in Talks about Hector-Achilles Megatrade
suddenly ramped up the intrigue, with new rumors swirling over a potential "trade of the century" involving the league's two biggest sluggers. Hector and Achilles are both coming off career years
- Nearly Perfect: Jaime Garcia's 2011 Season
much: Jaime Garcia. I knew enough about him to know he'd had a great 2010 season (2.70 ERA, 3.41 FIP) and was still quite young, but due to being a Rays fan, I'm not as well versed on the National
- WS Scouting: Colby Lewis vs. Jaime Garcia
How wonderfully awkward.
The last time Colby Lewis and Jaime Garcia faced off, we were treated to one of the best pitcher's duels of the World Series. Jaime Garcia shut down the Rangers for seven
- Daily Notes, Ft. All the Big Hector Santiago Coverage
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of Daily Notes.
1. Hector Santiago Coverage, Featuring Hector Santiago
2. Action GIFs: Hector Santiago's Changeup vs. His
- Avisail Garcia, Dayan Viciedo, and Giving Up on Potential
on Avisail Garcia in the short term to some degree.
Garcia, in his age 24 season, is in line to be the primary right fielder on the south side with fewer than 500 career plate appearances
- Hot GIFs: Freddy Garcia Is Duly Impressed
), during which game Cuban emigre Yoenis Cespedes hit a home run that compelled veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia to discover physics again for the first time.
For the benefit of the reader, who
- Alex Rodriguez and Avisail Garcia: Waiver Wire
to make his mark in the majors. Avisail Garcia has only played 12 games with his new club, but he's shown signs of life. Both players deserve to be owned more.
3B Alex Rodriguez 61% owned
- Avisail Garcia & Dee Gordon: Waiver Wire
of the rest. Figure the regular waiver articles are geared more towards leagues with 14 teams or fewer. So with that, here's who I think is worth grabbing and holding onto for the year.
Avisail Garcia, CHW
- Davis, Smoak, Drew, Garcia, Carrasco: DL Returnees
and see how the situation unravels once he returns. If he starts, keep him. If he is just a bench player, ditch him.
Freddy Garcia (finger, 18% owned) – Garcia is a nice play for a team desperate
- Prospect Impact: Hicks, Arcia, Garcia and more
: Tigers sign OF Torii Hunter
PROSPECT IMPACT: OF Avisail Garcia
For a change, maybe the Tigers will avoid rushing one of their prospects. Garcia, in fact, has already been rocketed through the system
- Jesus Montero: Cabrera, Konerko, or Karim Garcia?
- "Freak of Nature": Baseball's Garcia Found to Violate Major Scientific Principles
Some two years ago, a split-finger fastball thrown by pitcher Freddy Garcia stumped experts by seeming to defy the Magnus effect -- the force that makes a curveball curve. Physicists eventually
- Position Battles: Mets' 5th Starter, Pt. 1: Freddy Garcia
-compensated league-average starter?
New York also enters spring training with an open competition for the fifth-starter's role, featuring a former rotation horse (Freddy Garcia), a Washington retread (Tim
- Prospect Impact: Jackie Bradley, Bryce Brentz, Leury Garcia
Prospects earlier this offseason
ACTION: Rangers sign Jeff Baker to minor league deal
IMPACT: INF Leury Garcia, Rangers
For all the pub that Jurickson Profar (deservedly) receives, fellow