- Phillies Grab Whatever Roberto Hernandez Is
and a low xFIP than a guy coming off a low ERA and a high xFIP. For 2014 I'd rather have Roberto Hernandez than Hector Santiago.
It'll be interesting to see if Hernandez holds on to some changes
- Hector Santiago Throws a Screwball
Hector Santiago deserves a full write-up on one fact alone: he throws a screwball. Other than Daniel Herrera -- the short former Red and Met with floppy hair that hasn't seen the majors or minors
- NERD Game Scores: Entirely Gratis Felix Hernandez Event
Highly Rated Game
Seattle at Chicago AL | 14:10 ET
Felix Hernandez (128.1 IP, 61 xFIP-, 4.8 WAR) faces Jose Quintana (104.2 IP, 88 xFIP-, 2.6 WAR). After his most recent appearance, the former has now
- GIF: Hector Santiago Throws a Screwgie
It's possible that the screwball Hector Santiago throws is actually not that great of a pitch. It doesn't get a ton of whiffs or grounders, he seems to have lost control of it a bit, there's a chance
- Q&A: Hector Santiago, Screwball Artist
Hector Santiago reads FanGraphs and throws a screwball. The former puts the Chicago White Sox southpaw in the minority among big-league players. The latter makes him quite unique.
- Happy Birthday, Keith Hernandez
In honor of the 58th birthday of Keith Hernandez -- board-certified Magnificent Bastard -- I'm re-posting Rob Perri's objectively perfect short film titled "I'm Keith Hernandez." I might just make
- Hector Santiago and Fernando Rodney Are Closing Games
Robin Ventura and Joe Maddon made confusing closer situations a bit more clear this weekend, as both have seemingly 'named' temporary closers. Hector Santiago, owner of a nifty screwball
- Feast of St. Hernandez the Prolific
Hernandez throws a pitch called The Leg of the Devil.
Today, February 20th, we acknowledge and celebrate the life of Hernandez the Prolific.
Hernandez the Prolific
Life: A Cuban emigre
- The Cultural Importance of Keith Hernandez
Some younger fans might think of Keith Hernandez as nothing more than the guy who sawed logs in the Mets' broadcast booth. But back in the day, Hernandez was -- and affected eloquence has no place
- Hector Santiago Departs the Windy City, Heads to Disneyland
Well not quite. The Angels front office would likely be a bit annoyed if Hector Santiago visited Disneyland during their home games, rather than show up at Angel Stadium. Two weeks ago, Santiago
- Time for Giants to Part Ways with Hector Sanchez
San Francisco Giants backup catcher Hector Sanchez is a ball magnet.
Every single time he plays — and this is no exaggeration — he takes a savage beating behind home plate. Foul tips rock his
- Hector Santiago’s Eventual Return to Relevance
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim couldn’t have asked for Hector Santiago’s first season with the club to begin much worse. He’d had a good spring, with a 3.63 ERA and a 24:9 K/BB, but he opened 0-6
- Keith Hernandez Is Not Himself
The Hollywood, California picture-show movie executive thought he was making a demand that would be met. "You'll play yourself," he thundered at Keith Hernandez and then offered a liver-spotted hand
- Angel Hernandez Is Scaring You
This is a video still of third-base umpire Angel Hernandez, from the 8th inning of last night's Indians-Royals game.
As someone who watched this game in its entirety, I can assure you
- Side by Side: Liriano and Hernandez
They say that 50 is the new 40, but I like to say that Francisco Liriano is the new Felix Hernandez. Seattle's Hernandez made a splash in his major debut last year, going 4-4 with a 2.67 ERA
- Rays Sign Roberto Hernandez
The Rays began life after James Shields in earnest with their first transaction since the big move Wednesday. The club is reportedly close to inking pitcher Roberto Hernandez -- formerly and better
- Mustache Watch: Keith Hernandez
Breaking mustache news in The New York Times last week:
Keith Hernandez’s mustache has rarely left its perch below his nose in his adult life. It is the thicker, longer cousin to his eyebrows
- Welcome To The Show, David Hernandez
are in town to take on the Orioles. Making his major league debut, David Hernandez will be starting for the O's.
Hernandez is one of those divisive prospects who puts up numbers that dwarf his
- Livan Hernandez's Crazy Streak
Since 1998, three things have been constant: death, taxes, and Livan Hernandez starting at least 30 Major League Baseball games. Hernandez, despite bouncing between eight teams in these 12 seasons
- Roberto Hernandez is Not Fausto Carmona
Yes, well obviously Roberto Hernandez is not Fausto Carmona. The name Fausto Carmona belongs to someone else, and though the history of Cleveland Indians starting pitcher "Fausto Carmona" belongs
- Iannetta, Hernandez: Catchers On The Move
continue to be among the top half of fantasy catchers next season.
To replace Iannetta the Rockies signed veteran Ramon Hernandez. The soon to be 36-year-old hasn’t collected more than 352 plate
- Felix Hernandez's Velocity
Last week, the Seattle Mariners inked their ace, Felix Hernandez, to a $175 million extension for the next seven years. The dominating righty will be entering his age-27 season this year, meaning
- Daily Graphing - Orlando Hernandez
Pending commissioner approval, the White Sox will send Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez to the Diamondbacks along with Luis Vizcaino, and minor league outfielder Chris Young in exchange for Javier
- The Curious Case of Felix Hernandez
During last night's Fantasy Baseball Roundtable radio show that I participate in every Wednesday night, I was asked in one of our regular segments whether Felix Hernandez would remain an effective
- Felix Hernandez and Missing Velocity
When Felix Hernandez broke into the Majors as a 19-year-old, he threw the ball really hard. Here's the Pitch F/x plot of his start against the Oakland A's on April 2nd, 2007, the first for which we
- Felix Hernandez and the AL MVP
candidacy, but in running through the other candidates for AL MVP, I wrote this:
Robinson Cano only has eight home runs and will probably split any votes he might get with Felix Hernandez, who would
- Q&A: Felix Hernandez
Few, if any, hurlers combine overpowering stuff and pitching acumen quite like Felix Hernandez. The Mariners workhorse has dominated the American League each of the past two-plus seasons, going
- Hot Stove Rumors: Trojans, Greeks in Talks about Hector-Achilles Megatrade
suddenly ramped up the intrigue, with new rumors swirling over a potential "trade of the century" involving the league's two biggest sluggers. Hector and Achilles are both coming off career years
- Daily Notes, Ft. All the Big Hector Santiago Coverage
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of Daily Notes.
1. Hector Santiago Coverage, Featuring Hector Santiago
2. Action GIFs: Hector Santiago's Changeup vs. His
- Livan Hernandez: Beginnings, Ends, and Middles
It would be hard to call Livan Hernandez's retirement surprising, but some people such as myself were probably a bit taken aback because we assumed he had already retired. That is not meant
- The Value of Ramon Hernandez is Dropping Fast
on the wall and it's only a matter of time before Ramon Hernandez becomes a wasted pick for you. Wilin Rosario is the catcher-of-the-future in Colorado and when he made the 25-man roster over this past
- Orioles Pick Hernandez Over Tillman
that David Hernandez, and not Tillman, would be the team's fifth starter. Tillman will head down to AAA where he can continue honing his craft with an eye at a mid-season call-up.
- Nothing to Say About Angel Hernandez
ball to have bounced off a railing behind the official yellow line. The video was conclusive -- Rosales hit a home run, and the A's had the game tied. Then Angel Hernandez and the umpiring crew re
- Colorado Selects Hernandez as Bridge to Rosario
will replace Iannetta at backstop with the second move, the signing of Ramon Hernandez to a two-year, $6.5 million contract.
As far as catchers go, it's difficult to find any with the on-base
- Comparing Livan Hernandez and Randy Johnson
Prior to the start of the 2009 season, the thought of comparing Livan Hernandez and Randy Johnson was ludicrous. Mets fans rolled their eyes when the club signed Hernandez while Giants fans were
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Roberto Hernandez
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: Robert Hernandez.
- Roberto Hernandez Heads to the Land of Cheesesteak
No, not the Roberto Hernandez who saved 326 games and spent his career in the bullpen, silly. It's the Roberto Hernandez who became the artist formerly known as Fausto Carmona of course! After
- Felix Hernandez - Taking It To The Next Level?
performance of some of the game's elite, and determine whether they in fact have taken things to the next level. Today, Felix Hernandez.
Since his arrival at the major league level in 2005 at age
- Numbers as Narrative: Bell, Hernandez, Pujols
, or Wikipedia. Is he okay?
David Hernandez, RHSP, Baltimore
Let's play a game. The game is called One of These Things Is not Like the Other. The first thing you do is look at some numbers. Second
- Felix Hernandez, Superstars, and Frictional Costs
are apparently set to sign Felix Hernandez to the largest contract ever given to a Major League pitcher. The total commitment is $175 million over seven years. It's a staggering amount for a guy who wasn't
- Nickname Seeks Player: Livan Hernandez
- Livan Hernandez and the Strike Zone He Made
As our own brilliant and enviably popular Jeff Sullivan demonstrated recently, Livan Hernandez -- who announced his retirement on Wednesday -- survived in baseball for 17 years by making his own
- Felix Hernandez Reportedly Getting Blockbuster Contract
At present, Felix Hernandez, Justin Verlander, and Clayton Kershaw are three of the very greatest starting pitchers in the game. They're also all two years away from free-agent eligibility, so
- Scouting Report: St. Paul Saints' Jose Hernandez
and trivia and people getting dunked in cottage cheese between the innings, but I pay more attention than most to what's going on during the game. It's because of this that I got to see Jose Hernandez
- Nickname Seeks Player: Vote on "Livan Hernandez"
. Which player should be nicknamed "Liván Hernández"? Make with the democracy below ...
Which player should be nicknamed "Livan Hernandez"?
- No Signs of Decline from Felix Hernandez... Yet
He's 27, so maybe it's not surprising. But over 1800 innings into his career, Felix Hernandez isn't really showing any signs of decline yet. Well, if you ignore one stat.
Far from declining
- Daily Notes: An Ideal Occasion for Enjoying Felix Hernandez
. Today's Complete Schedule
Featured Game: Seattle at Pittsburgh, 12:35 ET
Regarding This Game, One of Its Virtues
One of the virtues of this game is how, in Felix Hernandez (50.2 IP, 65 xFIP-, 1.6
- Baseball Card Tourney: Backman vs Hernandez
on. This week we have two classic Mets figures going head to head. Could we have another fire and ice pairing? Looks like it.
#2 1981 Donruss Keith Hernandez
Listen, the stratedery is clear. I've got
- Christian Vazquez & Enrique Hernandez: Deep League Wire
that by saying they should have an excellent offense -- and he should garner the majority of the at-bats behind the plate. In a deep league, that's all you need to warrant an add.
- Felix Hernandez, John Jaso Outwit the Rays
Felix Hernandez's perfect game on Wednesday was a testament to both his excellent stuff, but also a well-deserved outcome for an excellent game plan executed by he and catcher John Jaso. A former Ray
- Felix Hernandez and His Fastball, Part 1
an open letter to then-Mariners Pitching Coach Rafael Chaves pleading with him to modify the game plan for Felix Hernandez when it came to starting out games. Namely, Dave pointed out
- Astros Release Livan Hernandez, Braves Swoop In
In perhaps the fasteset set of transactions I've ever seen, the Astros announced that they were releasing Livan Hernandez at 12:07 pm eastern time, and then Jon Heyman reported that Livan was signing
- Roberto Hernandez & Marcell Ozuna: Deep Waiver Wire
that was just called up.
Roberto Hernandez | TAM SP | 8% Owned
The artist formerly known as Fausto Carmona is back with a new name and pitch mix. On the main FanGraphs blog, we have already
- Felix Hernandez and His Fastball, Part 2
and soak that in first; on average, 16 of the first 20 pitches that Hernandez offers at the beginning of a game are a fastball. That's predictability to an extreme and if I can spot it, you better be sure
- Clayton Kershaw, Felix Hernandez and Appreciating Greatness
It's probably not earth-shattering to point out that Clayton Kershaw and Felix
- Felix Hernandez and His Fastball, Part 3
Continuing from the past few days, I this time separated Felix Hernandez's starts based on the percentage of fastballs he threw within the first 20 pitches. Five times during the season Felix throw
- Keith Hernandez Mustache Watch Breaking News Follow-Up
Three weeks ago, the New York Times ran an incredibly important article about Keith Hernandez's mustache that, of course, we here at NotGraphs had to cover.
This past weekend, the crucial
- Livan Hernandez, Who Made His Own Strike Zone
Livan Hernandez is retiring, officially. Two things: Hernandez didn't pitch in 2013. And Matt Klaassen is already writing something up about his career. Which means this is two posts about Livan
- Audio: Michael Wacha Scouting Report c/o Keith Hernandez
Pitching against the Mets on Wednesday, Cardinals right-handed prospect Michael Wacha recorded five strikeouts in 3.0 innings.
Mets broadcaster Keith Hernandez was impressed by Wacha's outing
- Position Battles: Mets' 5th Starter, Pt. 3: Livan Hernandez
our attention to the man with a recent track record perhaps more dubious than either Garcia's or Redding's: Livan Hernandez.
Hernandez, who turned 34 this past week, has racked up an astonishing
- LINK: Angel Hernandez, Lousy Minor League Umpire in 1991
You've probably heard that MLB umpire Angel Hernandez is in the news again, because he's awful at his job and does embarrassing things to the sport on a too regular basis. You may also know
- Video Replay Reveals: Angel Hernandez an Actual Angel, of Death
Upon reviewing video of Wednesday night's controversial ninth-inning hit by Oakland's Adam Rosales, Major League Baseball has determined that umpire Angel Hernandez is a paranormal and likely
- Let's Consider Eric Gregg and Livan Hernandez in the 1997 NLCS
but still somewhat often make references to Livan Hernandez. References to Livan Hernandez often lead to recollections of the 1997 NLCS, and Eric Gregg's strike zone in Game 5. Consensus
- Roberto Hernandez: New Name, New Team, New Pitcher?
Not long ago, Roberto Hernandez was considered to be an up-and-coming starter for the Cleveland Indians. He was also known as Fausto Carmona. But regardless of what it said across his back, his 3.06
- NERD Game Scores: David Price, Felix Hernandez Spectacular
Highly Rated Game
Seattle at Detroit | 19:08 ET
Felix Hernandez (180.1 IP, 62 xFIP-, 6.2 WAR) faces David Price (185.1 IP, 71 xFIP-, 4.0 WAR). The former is the prohibitive favorite for this year's Cy