- Prospect Watch: Jose Ramirez, James Jones
James Jones, OF, Mariners (Profile)
Level: MLB Age: 25 Top-15: N/A Top-100: N/A
Line: (Triple-A) 90 PA, 8.9% BB, 17.8% K, .313/.382/.450 (.371 BABIP
- Chris Parmelee & James Jones: Deep League Wire
knows how long Parmelee will last for. But with no standout corner outfield options at the moment, the opportunity is there for Parmelee to grab substantial playing time...if he hits.
- James Jones & Chase Whitley: Deep League Waiver Wire
-season flameout, and the other suddenly pertinent in fantasy due to his newfound opportunity.
James Jones / OF / Seattle Mariners
1 percent Yahoo / .9 percent ESPN / 9 percent CBS ownership
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 23 -- For Draftstreet
, he’s been the 13th best pitcher. Granted, WAR isn’t of much use in fantasy leagues, but humor me. Without looking, would you have guessed Wilson was essentially James Shields’ equal during
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 21 -- For Draftstreet
James Shields burned me last night, but I'm going back to Kansas City tonight anyways. Nothing does Vargas does is sexy. He doesn't post gaudy strikeout totals, but he eats innings and limits runs
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 25 -- For Draftstreet
Today’s schedule is packed with front of the rotation arms: Anibal Sanchez, Corey Kluber, David Price, Hisashi Iwakuma, James Shields, Mat Latos, and Stephen Strasburg are pitching today. Zack
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 1 -- For Draftstreet
Your 12 Man July 4th Baseball Team Today and Win!
Over his past five starts, James Shields hasn’t been very good, posting an ERA well over five and seeing his strikeouts
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 20 -- For Draftstreet
are sinking as much as they did last season, so it's not hard to see a home run or two being in the cards.
The Daily Five
James Shields - $16,238
There aren't a ton of bargain options I like tonight
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 23 -- For DraftKings
rate), Ian Kennedy, James Shields, Lynn, Madison Bumgarner, Stephen Strasburg, and Yu Darvish will take the hill today. Jered Weaver, too.
Overall, it looks like pitching has the upper hand today
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- All-Star Break Notes -- For Draftstreet
When we look at starting pitchers, we see mostly familiar names. Masahiro Tanaka (RIP
- Injuries, Luck and Chipper Jones
concerns, Jones had an ADP in the mid-60s last year, meaning he was a sixth-round pick in a standard 12-team mixed league.
Both the Bill James and the Marcel projection for Jones show similar results
- Andruw Jones to the White Sox
According to MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez, the Chicago White Sox have come to terms with Andruw Jones on a one-year, $500K contract with $1M in possible incentives.
Jones famously fell of the face
- How Game Theory Is Applied to Pitch Optimization
them how they’re swinging their bats, how well they’ll do in college, how they’ll perform at Wrigley versus Miller.
Big data has been used in baseball for decades -- as early as the 60s. Bill James
- Astros Power Arm Martes Emerges as Top Prospect
- Astros' Paulino Another Find in Recent Trade
- Tigers' First-Rounder Burrows Impresses in Debut
- Plugging the Cardinals' Shortstop Hole
- Constructing a Lineup for the Blue Jays
- Bill James Awards
appearances yet walked only 13 times, once every 50 PA. Runner-up Adam Jones (19 BB, 682 PA) lags far behind Revere. The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract includes an Ozzie Guillén Trophy for each
- Review of Hitting Prospects, James Player Rater 1994
View spreadsheet of all 102 prospects by clicking here.
Last Monday, I submitted for the readership's consideration a review of the hitting prospects from the 1993 edition of the Bill James Player
- Review of Hitting Prospects, James Player Rater 1993
As noted towards the end of last week over at NotGraphs, I've recently acquired the Bill James Player Ratings Books from 1993 to 1995.
One thing about the Player Raters that, so far as I know
- Review of Hitting Prospects, James Player Rater 1995
View a spreadsheet of all 81 prospects by clicking here.
Last week, I submitted for the readership's consideration a review of the hitting prospects from the 1994 edition of the Bill James Player
- James Loney & The Bucs: Sometimes Average Is An Upgrade
The rumor mill was pretty sure the Pittsburgh Pirates would sign James Loney this week. This year's version of Tampa's continual reclamation project at first base has a longer history of above
- Bring Out Your Dead: Edwin Encarnacion and Chipper Jones
for the Toronto Blue Jays and while I was fully expecting Chipper Jones to break his (insert body part here) on his first on-deck circle practice swing, it's clear that the geezer doesn't want to go on the cart
- Pirates Sign Dotel, Snag B. Jones Off Waivers
. Per the 2010 Bill James Handbook, PNC Park suppressed home run production by 12 percent compared to a neutral park from 2007-2009. Compare that to his old home, U.S. Cellular Field. The Cell boosted
- James Shields Can't Solve The Biggest Padres Problem
they may yet be the team that comes away with James Shields, who would inject some stability into what is a talented-but-fragile rotation.
Jeff will have more on that signing later, but obviously: Shields
- Andruw Jones
So far, Andruw Jones hasn't had the start to his Dodger career that anyone would have hoped for. His .149/.259/.234 line would make him a decent hitting pitcher, but as an $18 million dollar per
- Is Bill James Right about Ground Ball Pitchers and Injuries?
When Bill James speaks, many in the baseball committee listen intently--as they should. James, while certainly not always correct in his theories (and, really, who is), can always be counted
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 22 -- For DraftKings
+ of 144 versus left handed pitching. Yes, Happ does have a reverse split over the past few seasons, but he’s still allowed a .337 wOBA versus right handed batters over his career.
Adam Jones - $4,700
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 3 -- For Draftstreet
into the lineup. Michael Cuddyer suited up at third base this weekend, so maybe that's a harbinger of things to come?
Adam Jones - $6,494
Joe Saunders doesn't miss many bats. Adam Jones has crushed
- How Hard Is It To Be Successful Without Drawing Walks?
fWAR from 2000-2013 only 58 or 28.7% had walk rates less than or equal to 8%. Adam Jones fell slightly below on a few parameters, but for comparison's sake he felt pretty accurate. Here is Yasiel Puig
- Kennys Vargas is Walking a Fine Line
- - -
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 17 -- For Draftstreet
pitching pretty well; they’re facing John Danks tonight, weather permitting. Speaking of left handed pitching, the Orioles lineup, as a whole, isn’t otherworldly versus southpaws, but Adam Jones
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 2 -- For Draftstreet
Ausmus and pitching coach Jeff Jones to pour over film, new and old. They saw that the right-hander was moving laterally in a way that needed to be changed. They wanted him to move more toward home
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 12 -- For Draftstreet
home run issues haven't gone anywhere; Tex's power, however, has rebounded rather nicely, especially from the left side.
Adam Jones - $7,842
Manny Machado - $7,293
- Liberating Liberated Fandom
this Braves team is probably the most enjoyable one to watch since Andruw Jones and the Baby Braves ruled the roost. Cabrera and Eric Hinske were the only two guys I could think to speak
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 2 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 4 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 5 -- for Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 8 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 9 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 11 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 12 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 15 -- For Drafstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 16 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 18 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 19 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 22 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 23 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 25 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 26 -- For Draftsreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 29 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 30 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 1 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 2 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 3 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 4 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 6 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 7 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 9 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 10 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 13 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 14 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 16 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 17 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 20 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 21 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 24 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 27 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 28 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 30 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 31 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 4 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 6 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 7 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 10 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 11 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 13 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 14 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 18 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 24 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 27 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 28 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 11 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 13 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- For DraftKings -- July 18
- Daily Fantasy Baseball -- July 19 -- For DraftKings
- Mike Napoli's Alright, Isn't He?
- Nick Swisher's Done Helping You
- The Daily Grind: 8-7-2014 -- Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-9-14 -- Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-10-2014 -- Presented by FanDuel
- All Aboard The Duda Wagon
- 2014 First Base Tier Rankings: August
- Anthony Rizzo's Answered Your (My) Questions
- Has Freddie Freeman Been Worth His Cost?
- Paul Goldschmidt: Same As He Ever Was, Kind Of
- Return to Being Useful: Justin Morneau
- Ryan Howard Flips and, Kind of, Flops
- Albert Pujols: Fighting Father Time
- Adam Wainwright: Efficiency is the Name of the Game
- The Luckiest and Unluckiest Pitchers So Far in 2013
- The Atlantazona Bravebacks (Part I: Position Players)
- Chipper Jones Out for the Year with a Torn ACL, Career in Jeopardy; Just How Good Was He?
Yesterday, Chipper Jones suffered an ACL tear while making a spectacular play at third base; he's almost certainly out for the rest of the year, and considering that he was retiring considering
- Is Andruw Jones A Hall-Of-Famer?
I wrote a piece for ESPN Insider today that talks about defensive metrics and Hall Of Fame voting. The main example used in the story is Andruw Jones, who you might be shocked to learn has
- Adam Jones' Mysterious Progress
this season, there have also been some bright spots. Among them has to be the offensive contributions of Adam Jones so far this season. Stardom has long been predicted for Jones, who is just 25 years old
- Garrett Jones' Arrival
Garrett Jones was drafted by the Atlanta Braves with the last pick of the 14th round in 1999 as a first baseman out of Victor J Andrew High School in Illinois. Jones failed to do much of anything
- Jones' Ranger Resurgence
Andruw Jones bashed three home runs last evening, taking his total up to 14 long balls for the season. Jones' triple-slash line rests at .250/.348/.581, with a wOBA of .392. On a per-at-bat basis
- Adam Jones Is Up to Something
and defensive curiosity. And it was while scrolling through pages I noticed something about Adam Jones. Machado, as noted, is showing some weird changes in his plate discipline. Jones is, too, in a different
- The Lamentation over Jones
When the Mariners caved in to Baltimore's demands and agreed to build a package for Erik Bedard around outfielder Adam Jones, most of the Mariners blogosphere was livid. I personally wrote that I
- Andruw Jones Fitted For Pinstripes
The first memory most fans have of Andruw Jones is witnessing the then-teenager terrorize the New York Yankees in Game One of the 1996 World Series. While Jones' Braves ultimately came up short
- Adam Jones' Offensive Jump
Sherrill, Tony Butler, Kam Mickolio and Adam Jones.
Tillman will team up with 2008 first-rounder Brian Matusz to give Baltimore a deadly one-two punch at the top of the rotation. Sherrill was shipped
- Jones Bashes in the 'Burgh
On July 1st, the following scrolled across the transaction wire:
Pittsburgh Pirates purchased the contract of outfielder Garrett Jones from Indianapolis of the International League (AAA).
- ADP Crowdsourcing: Adam Jones
Adam Jones always seems to get a ton of love from someone on draft day, then never lives up to the hype and disappoints. However, his transition from 2008 to 2009 was impressive, so he hasn’t always
- Adam Jones' Emergence
to be growing at a rapid rate.
Adam Jones in Baltimore got his first taste of regular play last year following the trade to the Orioles from the Seattle Mariners in the Erik Bedard deal. He responded
- Andruw Jones Is Alive
George Romero may have never considered the possibility of smiling zombies. The walking undead Andruw Jones is infectious with smiling, and he’s spreading the condition all around the Southside
- Ranking Adam Jones
uber-bullish ranking of Carlos Carrasco on Little Christmas, and my bearish ranking of Adam Jones shall provide the content for normal Christmas. Enjoy.
The comments in the rankings piece
- Daily Graphing - Todd Jones
Todd Jones really pissed me off last year. See, I had Guillermo Mota in my fantasy league and when he got injured, Todd Jones pitched so well that Guillermo Mota never got his closer job back. Now
- Adam Jones, Unfinished Product
In the weekly Wednesday chat, one of the popular subjects was the Braves pursuit of Baltimore outfielder Adam Jones. According to reports, Atlanta has been trying to land Jones for the better part
- Daily Graphing - Jacque Jones
With all talk of the Yankees signing Johnny Damon, it seems like the Cubs signing Jacque Jones to a three year, $16 million contract got lost in the news. Jones is currently a career .280 hitter
- Chipper Jones Speaks in Tongues
Bit of old news, but did anyone notice Chipper Jones's tweet on August 2? Allow me to remind you:
We need a dome! These rain delays stink. Nothin a couple of 2run dubs wont fix. Back on track
- Adam Jones’ Regression At The Plate
I don’t think it’d be a stretch to say that Adam Jones has been a big disappointment at the plate so far in 2010. He came into Saturday’s game batting just .254/.283/.384, and instead of taking
- You Want Adam Jones
center fielder Adam Jones would be a great place to start.
Jones is by no means a hidden gem in fantasy baseball. He was a highly touted prospect in the Mariners system, offering a nice blend
- Chipper Jones and The Couch
You know this player: it's Chipper Jones, the shoe-in Hall-of-Famer who's about to play the final regular season series of his career.
It was a different time, you understand -- 1992, or '93
- Adam Jones: UZR and Me
UZR is catching up to Adam Jones, or maybe it‘s the other way around. Either way, the Orioles centerfielder is finally receiving some love from defensive metrics -- his league-leading 5.9 UZR
- Crowdsourcing Results: Jones and Volquez
Below are the results for this week’s ADP Crowdsourcing. If you have any suggestions for next week, leave them in the comments for consideration.
My vote: 10
- Jacque Jones: Almost a Hall of Famer
And he has the Internet to thank! With the first ever Hall of Fame vote credited to "tweeples," presenting the immortal and amazing Jacque Jones!
Apprecaite my tweeples for helping me get that 1
- Complete Game James: James Shields Unlearns Us
Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.
In 2010, James Shields led the league in hits allowed, home runs allowed, and earned runs allowed. Many among the Rays faithful
- Nate Jones Is in Agony
- Contract Extension Comps for Adam Jones
The Baltimore Orioles recently avoided going to an arbitration hearing by signing Adam Jones to a one year, $6.5 million contract, but there are still rumblings about a long-term deal being in play
- Andruw Jones and Ken Griffey Jr.
Andruw Jones is likely to announce his retirement from Major League Baseball sometime in the very near future. Jones hasn’t been on the MLB radar since his last season in the big leagues back in 2012
- Bill James Projections - Updated
I thought I'd mention that the Bill James Handbook projections on FanGraphs have been updated with the latest and greatest.
"... many things happen during the offseason that change playing time
- Bill James Handbook Projections
As of now, the 2008 Bill James Handbook projections are available on the player pages.
On a side note, all the minor league players have been synced with the major league players, so
- Bill James Projections: Updated
We've updated the Bill James Handbook Projections to the latest and greatest. They're available right now individually in the player pages. If you want them in a sortable form (with some extra
- Bill James Projections
In addition to the Marcel & CHONE projections, the projections from the Bill James Handbook are now available in the stats pages courtesy of Baseball Info Solutions. They will not be available
- Adam Jones Is Never Room Temperature
of month-by-month analysis with Adam Jones as the subject.
Creating outs is the greatest crime in this game of baseball. In April, Jones created many outs
- Bill James and the Cock-Lebur
A Tragicomedy in Precisely Two Acts.
Like any serberista worth his fashion spectactles, I spend about 90% of my day within arm's reach of Bill James' collected works. Or, okay, maybe collected
- Spotted: Pretend Bill James
Moments before Justin Verlander completed his no-hitter on Saturday, Rogers Sportsnet presented home viewers with this image -- i.e. what sabermetric paterfamilias Bill James would currently look
- Is Adam Jones Pulling a Matt Kemp?
On Tuesday, Adam Jones took a 1-0 fastball from CC Sabathia in the second inning and launched it out to left field. On Wednesday, in the 15th inning, he destroyed a curveball from Nate Adcock
- Nate Jones and the Small, Smart Deal
to a guy like Nate Jones, who the White Sox just signed to an interesting deal, risk is the key word. The particulars of the deal, though, reduced the risk to the team, while also adding reward
- Adam Jones is Boring, And That's Fine, Right?
Over the last three years, Adam Jones has hit between .280 and .287, launched between 25 and 33 homers, and stolen between 12 and 16 bases. Considering the way team performances vary from year
- Is James Shields' Changeup Overrated?
Before this pitch, you might have heard a lot about James Shields' changeup being the best righty change in the business.
But early in the game, both Gregor Blanco and Brandon Belt managed
- Chipper Jones To Retire After 2012
After more than 17 years as a fixture in Atlanta Braves baseball, Chipper Jones has announced that he will retire as a player after the 2012 season. His $7 million club option for next year would
- Chipper Jones Unhappy With Basement Dwellers
Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution caught up with Chipper Jones today, and he wasn't terribly happy, particularly with some denizens of the lowest floor of houses owned by their mothers
- Adam Jones Just Got Stronger
C'mon readers of RotoGraphs, you didn't really think I was going to let the year end without another piece on Adam Jones from me, did you? I was just waiting for the appropriate time
- Return of the James Shields Changeup
The Royals made a trade for James Shields and evaluators had things to say about it. The Royals, for their part, were confident in their belief that Shields could help push the team to its intended
- Finding a Place for James Shields
, with the start of spring training a month away. With the Max Scherzer contract complete, all the big fish are accounted for. All the big fish, that is, but James Shields, who very much remains
- James Paxton Was Horrible and Promising
The Mariners started James Paxton on Wednesday because they had to put Felix Hernandez on the disabled list with a hurt leg. That's bad! Paxton proceeded to get lit up, by literally the San Diego
- Orioles Outfield: At Least There's Adam Jones
Before we get to the desolate corner spots in the Baltimore outfield, let's at least focus on Adam Jones and the value he brings to fantasy baseball. He hits in the .280s, he puts up between 25-33
- James Shields and Using K%
Coming off a season in which he posted a gruesome 5.18 ERA, James Shields is a favorite sleeper and undervalued asset of the statistically-inclined fantasy owner. The majority of these owners
- Unlocking James Paxton
: if the Mariners want to be good soon, they probably figure James Paxton could and should be a part of it. The Mariners, probably, want Paxton to become a major contributor as soon as the season ahead
- The Year James Shields Was Different
Three winters ago, we got into a lot of arguments about James Shields. He was at the center of a very polarizing trade and people took sides. You remember it, so I won't rehash things other than
- James Loney's Problems at the Plate
James Loney is having a horrible start to the 2011 season. His wRC+ of 58 is by far the lowest of his career and is the seventh worst in the league. That kind of performance from first basemen
- Regarding James McDonald
is the placement of James McDonald in the starting rotation.
Despite making a cameo in the Dodgers playoff run late last season, McDonald is still a relative unknown. A low-90’s fastball and mid-70’s
- James Shields: Becoming an Ace
This might seem like a weird time to be writing an article about James Shields experiencing a breakout season, given that his 3.95 ERA this season is over a run higher than the 2.82 mark he posted
- Four Factors: James Loney
for the Los Angeles Times.
Baseball insider recently said James Loney was "hands down" the Dodgers' MVP in the first half of the season.
I don't know who this baseball insider is, but he is flat out
- Will the Rays Trade James Shields?
One of the best pitchers available this off-season may have just been pulled off the market. With Matt Moore expected to grab a spot in the rotation, many expected James Shields to be available
- Whither James Shields?
its eyes to baseball. Amid the oncoming rush of "best shape of my life" stories common to the February sports pages, one high-end free agent, James Shields, remains unsigned. He's certain
- James McDonald Loses Steam
James McDonald looked like one of the biggest surprises during the first three months of the season. His performance was a big reason for the Pittsburgh Pirates status as contenders in early-July
- 2013 Bill James Handbook Projections!
The 2013 Bill James Handbook Projections courtesy of Baseball Info Solutions are now available on the players pages!
- James Shields, Better But Different
We've talked about James Shields a lot this postseason, and most of it hasn't been all that positive. "Big Game" James had been lousy throughout this magical Kansas City run, and he was particularly
- Checking in With James Paxton
Coming into the season, you might have had a three-part checklist for Mariners' lefty James Paxton. Can he throw more high fastballs, can he improve his changeup, and can he hold his velocity
- Addressing the James Loney Situation
James Loney isn't good enough to be a big-league starter.
In 486 plate appearances from 2006-07, Loney hit .321/.372/.543 and took the league by storm. At just 23 years of age, his future seemed
- James Loney's Prime Decline
If the Red Sox have been one of the most disappointing teams in baseball this year, then waiver trade import James Loney has been one of its most disappointing and frustrating players. The 28-year
- James Shields, Innings Chomper
to describe pitchers who throw a lot of innings, but not necessarily of high quality. James Shields' innings, at least over the past three seasons, have certainly been of high quality. He has given his
- James Shields and the Value of Relevance
Matt Kemp, Wil Myers, Justin Upton, and now James Shields. No team has had a splashier off-season than the San Diego Padres, as new GM A.J. Preller overhauled the team's roster to ensure
- Q&A: JaCoby Jones, Pirates Prospect
tremendous potential, but a boom-or-bust dynamic exists for almost any 18-year-old prospect.
JaCoby Jones -- drafted in the third round out of LSU -- is a 21-year-old with a boom-or-bust dynamic
- An Old (But Topical) Conversation with Andruw Jones
This interview was conducted in September 2012, but that doesn't matter. The topic was his career, and Andruw Jones was weeks away from his final game. Contextually, nothing has changed in the two
- Scheming For Relief: Medina, Jones and Siegrist
the right-hander for the chance at some holds and strikeouts. In a roto league? Sure, i’m all-in.
Nate Jones | White Sox | 1%
At first glance, Jones’ 4.06 ERA (2.74 FIP) and 1.29 WHIP may cause one
- James Loney and a Case of the Kotchmans
, though, easily the most effective Rays hitter this season has been off-season stopgap acquisition James Loney, who is currently hitting .376/.429/.560 (176 wRC+), including homers in each
- 2011 Bill James Handbook Projections!
Kicking off projection season, as usual, are the 2011 Bill James Handbook Projections, courtesy of Baseball Info Solutions.
They're available right now in the player pages!
- 2012 Bill James Handbook Projections
The 2012 Bill James Handbook Projections are now available in the player pages. Big thanks to Baseball Info Solutions for allowing us to publish these for the fourth straight year.
- Bill James Projections: Updated
- Andruw Jones & DeWayne Wise Find Jobs
White Sox sign OF Andruw Jones for $500K
Jones’ 2009 season was hardly as well publicized as his 2008 voyage through the depths of offensive hell, but he managed a decent bounce back in 331 plate
- Video: Bill James on Colbert Report
The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30cBill Jameswww.colbertnation.comColbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive
Father of Us All Bill James has (a) written
- Andruw Jones: All-Star to Replacement-Level Player
Andruw Jones was having a brilliant career, that is, until he turned 31 years old. Since that point, he's barely been a league-average player. He went from an all-time great player, to an iffy hall
- 2009 Bill James Handbook Projections
The 2009 Bill James Handbook projections are now available on FanGraphs in the individual player pages. Big thanks to Baseball Info Solutions for letting us run these for the 3rd
- Bill James Handbook 2010 Projections
Throwing out the opening pitch of the FanGraphs 2010 projection season are the Bill James Handbook projections. Huge thanks goes out to Baseball Info Solutions for allowing us to publish
- 2009 Bill James Handbook Projections
The 2009 Bill James Handbook projections are now available on FanGraphs in the individual player pages. Big thanks to Baseball Info Solutions for letting us run these for the 3rd
- Adam Jones' Historical Plate Discipline Peers
Jones. From 2010 to 2013, Jones' cumulative wRC+ was 116. To date in 2014, his wRC+ is 115. Jones' offensive production so far this season may be a bit down from his 2012 and 2013 performances
- This Meatloaf Shall Suffer Adam Jones's Godlike Hunger
Not so long ago, Adam Jones sounded his conch and let all know that something was about to happen ...
Bout to smash some meatloaf— Adam Jones (@SimplyAJ10) July 28, 2013
- Position Battles: Rangers' OF, Pt. 2: Jones and Murphy
repeat performances. Now, let's turn our attention to a guy who has nowhere to go but up (Andruw Jones) and a sophomore fighting to stay in the lineup (David Murphy).
It's difficult to avert one's
- Orioles Wisely Lock Up Adam Jones
Last Friday, I wrote that if Adam Jones sustains his performance all year, he could be looking at a contract extension in the range of $120 to $140 million by selling himself as Matt Kemp Lite
- Andruw Jones Effectively Summarizes Own Career
On May 1, 2007, Andruw Jones was hitting .264/.405/.527 and was on his way to winning his tenth gold glove. His Hall of Fame status was all but assured. Five years, three months, and fifteen days
- James Shields, Line Drive Machine
If you watched Game 1, you know what was happening to James Shields. If you didn't watch Game 1, you can figure out what was happening to James Shields, since he departed after 3+ and wasn't exactly
- The Unique Power-Speed Combos of Braun, Pence and Jones
-- Ryan Braun, Adam Jones and Hunter Pence find themselves in a class of their own.
Although most fans should be somewhat aware of the speed of this trio, their star power -- as with most hitters
- Q&A: Jim Hickey on James Shields
James Shields has had a career year, and at least some of the credit goes to Jim Hickey. The Rays pitching coach has played a hands-on role in the right-hander’s success, which has been fueled
- The Uncommon Careers of Adam Jones and Howie Kendrick
because they have some special talent in one area or another. Two current examples are Adam Jones and Howie Kendrick.
Adam Jones isn't an elite baseball player in the same way that Favre
- FanGraphs Audio: Org Reports, Elijah, Larry Jones
In which the panel survives off deception.
Organizational Reports: Whys and Wherefores
Elijah Dukes: Released
Chipper Jones and Evaluating Situational Play
- James Shields In a New Ballpark (And Division)
The short version of the old book on James Shields that he was a flyball and strikeout guy with a home run problem. That version of James Shields might care about leaving a home park that suppresses
- Rick Jones, Tragic Experiment Gone Awry
could tell the difference.
Drunk with power, the Topps executives decided to take this even further, by creating Rick Jones. The plan was simple: using state-of-the-art Apple II computing
- Exploring My Personal Biases With Adam Jones
that I re-revisit my ranking of Adam Jones, which first appeared on Christmas day.
In case you missed it, I ranked Jones as the 21st overall outfielder. It suffices to say that not everybody
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: James Loney
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: James Loney.
- The Bill James Hall of Fame--Pitchers
instead of confuse.
In his wonderful book "Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame?" Bill James laid out criteria for two measures he invented to evaluate HOF resumes. He devotes Chapter 14 to describing
- Why Hasn't James Shields Been "Big Game James?"
Included among that has been that every single time James Shields' name is mentioned, he's referred to as "Big Game James," as though it's his legal name. Shields is a very good pitcher
- James Paxton's New Angle on Life
This past Monday, against Cleveland, Seattle left-hander James Paxton recorded the highest single-game average fastball velocity of his career, at just under 99 mph. While sources differ
- What in the World is Going on with James Shields?
%. James Shields' LOB% is 87.8%. This is significant! Seven out of eight runners that reach base on him get stranded! His ERA should be anemic, right? Wrong. His ERA is a respectable 3.74
- Reid Ryan Visits the Edward Jones Chatting Cage
Hello everyone. Welcome the Edward Jones Chatting Cage, where we get to know more about some of the biggest people in MLB baseball. I'm your host, Jeremy Brisiel. Today, we're talking to the new
- Annals of Bromance: Chipper Jones, Rescue Hero
. Then imagine nestling your face into the broad, camouflaged shoulder of Larry Wayne Jones, as the frigid wind whips past and faces gape from stranded cars. If you can capture that feeling, reader, then you have
- James Paxton Was Broken -- Is He Fixed?
In 2012, the prospect world was down on James Paxton. He was still getting strikeouts based on his curve, but his velocity was down and his control was terrible. Then he got his knee fixed
- Reviewing Steamer and I: James Shields
Baseball Player Performance. As usual, Steamer and I is a comparison of my projection to Steamer's. Steamer was significantly more bullish on James Shields, who moved to the National League and joined
- 2009 Impact Rookie: James McDonald
Right-hander James McDonald earned a spot in the Los Angeles Dodgers' 2009 starting rotation with a modest showing this spring. He allowed 21 hits in and eight walks in 19.2 innings of work. McDonald
- Hitter Rankings with Bill James Projections
Just a few days ago, the Bill James Handbook Projections were added to each of the player pages. Today, I will look at the top projected fantasy hitters going into the 2013 season.
A few items
- James McDonald Adds a Slider, Dominates
One of the biggest surprises for the first place Pittsburgh Pirates (!) has been the outstanding performance of James McDonald. Before this year, McDonald had a career ERA above 4.00 and a strikeout
- JABO: James Shields and the Pitching Market
Over the weekend, the long saga of James Shields, Pitcher For Hire finally came to a close, with Shields accepting a four year, $75 million contract from the San Diego Padres. $75 million is a pretty
- Call Him Complete Game James
For the second straight game, James Shields was able to finish what he started. Following a four-hit, one-run complete game victory against the Chicago White Sox earlier in the week, Shields threw
- Evaluating the Prospect in the James Shields Trade
The only prospect involved in the White Sox and Padres deal for James Shields is 17 year old INF Fernando Tatis, Jr., who the White Sox signed during the 2015-2016 July 2 International Free Agent
- Don't Give Up On...James Shields?
Tampa Bay Rays righty James Shields is seemingly turning in a mediocre performance in 2010. The 28-year-old owns a 6-7 record and has a middling 4.55 ERA, a combination that has led 11 percent
- James McDonald: NL Starting Pitcher
hasn’t been bad at all, and while they both would have been in contention for the title of Cy Young on the 2011 Pirates, they’re both sitting a ways behind the team’s ace, James McDonald.
- Not Drafting James Shields Next Year
A quick look at the player page of James Shields might lead you to believe that he has returned his draft day value for his fantasy owners. His ERA is only a tick higher than it was last year, his
- Pitcher Rankings with Bill James Projections
On Monday, I looked at the top hitters according to the recently added Bill James Handbook Projections. Today, I will see how the projection system sees the pitchers performing this season.
- Adam Jones Addresses "Baseball Is a White Man's Sport"
Adam Jones created a bit of a stir when he told Bob Nightengale of USA Today that “baseball is a white man’s sport.” That’s understandable. Race can be a hot-button issue at the best of times
- Rays Pay Up for James Loney
agency, but Pena struggled through a 0.7 win season. Last season, James Loney was brought in on a $2M deal, and turned a profit with a career-best 2.7 win season.
The first base situation has been
- The Daily Grind: Jones, Corbin, Smyly, Valencia
Daily DFS - Corbin
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - Smyly, Jungmann, Hutchison, Valencia, Peterson
1. Jones Chatter
Over the course
- Mixing Fantasy & Reality: Hernandez, Wendle, & Jones
Joey Wendle and JaCoby Jones: The other callups
Most of the current prospect buzz is on Yoan Moncada with our own Eric Longenhagan covering him in detail. Besides Moncada, a couple light hitting
- Prospect Stock Watch: Scott, Tapia, Jones
with the Rockies and will take a hit if he’s traded.
Jahmai Jones | OF | Angels
If you want a deep sleeper to monitor for your dynasty league, Jones should be your man
- Orioles Outfield: Adam Jones and the Hot Bat
Trying to figure out who is going to play in the Orioles outfield besides Adam Jones is simply a mess. The talent is tightly bunched with no one standing out. To add to the mess, the Orioles
- Rajai Davis & Chipper Jones: Waiver Wire
scoring category -- in Davis' case, power and likely batting average -- to boost another if you've fallen behind.
Chipper Jones | 3B | Braves | Owned: 32% Yahoo! and 38.0% ESPN
Now 40 years old
- Q&A: Nate Jones, Unorthodox Power in Chicago
Two things jump out when you watch Nate Jones deliver a pitch. The Chicago White Sox righthander has an unorthodox delivery and he throws hard. Working primarily as a setup man, he features a 97-mph
- An Annual Reminder from Eric Hosmer and Adam Jones
2013-2015 DRS AVG
2013-2015 1/3 Season AVG DEF
Difference in 2016
- Daily Notes, Beginning with a Line by Chipper Jones
Comment Regarding Strasburg
Here's a recent comment -- notable because of who made it -- regarding Strasburg:
Chipper Jones on #Strasburg: "He has the best stuff, the best repertoire of pitches
- It's Time for the Royals to Trade James Shields
- Q&A: Eric Stults, Poor-Man's Randy Jones
pitcher, and, surprisingly, one of the better lefties in the league.
More than a decade after being drafted by the Dodgers out of Bethel College, Stults has evolved into a poor man’s Randy Jones
- Dr. James Andrews Will See You Now
Dr. James Andrews will see you now.
He understands that your arm is in a lot of pain. But what about your heart?
Dr. James Andrews knows the path to true healing starts with your
- FanGraphs Audio: James Kannengieser, Amazin' Ave.
In which the guest is neither a cannon, nor a geyser: discuss.
The Moneyball Book Club
Meta-Meta Musings on Blogging
The Sabermetric Biography of James Kannengieser