- How Game Theory Is Applied to Pitch Optimization
them how they’re swinging their bats, how well they’ll do in college, how they’ll perform at Wrigley versus Miller.
Big data has been used in baseball for decades -- as early as the 60s. Bill James
- Astros' Paulino Another Find in Recent Trade
- Tigers' First-Rounder Burrows Impresses in Debut
- Astros Power Arm Martes Emerges as Top Prospect
- Mike Minor, James McDonald, and Tricks of the Mind
In the two drafts the Rotographs staff has done so far this winter, James McDonald hasn’t exactly been a hot commodity. In the snake draft, he was skipped entirely and he hardly fared better
- James McDonald Loses Steam
James McDonald looked like one of the biggest surprises during the first three months of the season. His performance was a big reason for the Pittsburgh Pirates status as contenders in early-July
- James McDonald Adds a Slider, Dominates
One of the biggest surprises for the first place Pittsburgh Pirates (!) has been the outstanding performance of James McDonald. Before this year, McDonald had a career ERA above 4.00 and a strikeout
- James McDonald: NL Starting Pitcher
hasn’t been bad at all, and while they both would have been in contention for the title of Cy Young on the 2011 Pirates, they’re both sitting a ways behind the team’s ace, James McDonald.
- Daily Notes, Beginning with a Line by Bill James
-- featuring the perpetually amusing R.A. Dickey and suddenly effective James McDonald -- receives the same score as this Nats-Phillies game. And yet, one imagines, it would be an exercise in folly to suggest
- Plugging the Cardinals' Shortstop Hole
- James McDonald, Kyle McClellan, Josh Johnson: NL Starting Pitchers
In today's version of NL Starting Pitchers, I tell you about a pitcher I like, a pitcher I don't, and a pitcher I'm skeptical of.
James McDonald, Pirates
McDonald was a stud muffin while pitching
- FanGraphs Audio: Will McDonald of Royals Review
and the Antiquarian Bookstore
... and unparalleled insights!
Will McDonald, Royals Reviewer
Finally, you can subscribe to the podcast via iTunes or other feeder things.
Audio on the flip
- McDonald Pitching Like An Ace for Pittsburgh
, in the form of James McDonald, the Pirates finally have a pitcher who at least looks the part of an ace.
Back at the trade deadline, I wrote that the Pirates were big winners. A big reason
- McDonald Shows the Stuff of a Top Prospect
, they traded the Pirates their Nos. 1 and 2 prospects from 2009, Andrew Lambo and James McDonald. Of course, both players' situations have changed since the start of the 2009 season. Lambo had a so-so
- McDonald Gets Another Shot at L.A.'s 5th Starter Job
The Los Angeles Dodgers are expected to recall right-hander James McDonald from Triple-A Albuquerque sometime over the next few days. McDonald, who was scratched from his scheduled Sunday start
- 2009 Impact Rookie: James McDonald
Right-hander James McDonald earned a spot in the Los Angeles Dodgers' 2009 starting rotation with a modest showing this spring. He allowed 21 hits in and eight walks in 19.2 innings of work. McDonald
- Regarding James McDonald
is the placement of James McDonald in the starting rotation.
Despite making a cameo in the Dodgers playoff run late last season, McDonald is still a relative unknown. A low-90’s fastball and mid-70’s
- Ol' McDonald... Made the Right Choice
It might have taken James McDonald a little time to settle on pitching but it looks like it was the right choice for the former two-way player.
Originally drafted as a pitcher at the age of 18