- A Tweet by Rich Thompson, Illustrated
Today in Tweets Illustrated Literally, Rich Thompson of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is outraged and self-censoring.
click to enlarge
- Rich Thompson and the MLB Dream
"In the end," Thompson wrote, "very few people will remember anything I have done as a baseball player. But hopefully they will remember what kind of person and teammate I am
- Baseball Chat - Jason Collette
Comment From Co-founder of the USSMariner.com
when is Matt harri hitting the DL officially? i need to stash him
Jason Collette: Those moves usually don't happen
- Jason Collette - Baseball Chat
Jason Collette: Greetings and salutations. My latest MRI is clean and I have no soreness in my fingers, so let's get rolling
Comment From kevinthecomic
- Jason Kubel: Sell High?
After stumbling last year following his 2009 breakout season, Jason Kubel is quietly having a really strong start to 2011 -- bet you didn't realize he's currently fifth in batting in the AL -- so why
- Jason Collette - Baseball Chat 02/21/2014
Jason Collette: Happy Friday, everyone. Only an hour today, so let's make it a great one!
Comment From Kris
Andrelton the best of the Braves extensions
- Jason Collette Baseball Chat -- 1/31/14
Jason Collette: As the President of the Wilson Betemit fan club, it is a great day today. Let's chat!
Comment From Mitch
Is there any hope Carlos
- Jason Collette Baseball Chat - 1/24/14
Jason Collette: Hi all, let's get it started. Here until 1p EST
Comment From Jason Collette Jr.
odds jays make the playoffs
- Jason Collette Baseball Chat - 2/7/14
11:55Jason Collette: I'm still battling walking pneumonia, but at least I'm not in Sochi. Let's chat!11:57Comment From Perplexed Fantasy OwnerHey Jason. Thanks for doing the chat today. I'm
- Jason Collette Baseball Chat - 2/14/14
in the Marlins infield? Late round fliers? Jason Collette: I actually like the youth best here in Hechevarria and Dietrich. This has a Major League movie type feel to this roster - Salty
- Jason Kipnis, Michael Taylor, Tom Milone: Mining the Minors
At approximately 4:45 p.m. Thursday, the Twitter handle @TheJK_Kid tweeted the following: "ITS TIME!" This was relevant because that account belongs to Indians prospect Jason Kipnis.
- Q&A: Jake Thompson, Tigers Pitching Prospect
That his pitching coach considered limiting the number of breaking pitches he could throw in a recent outing says a lot about Jake Thompson. It isn’t because the highly-regarded Detroit Tigers
- RotoGraphs' Waiver Wire League Update, Starring Jason Kipnis, Javy Guerra and Brandon McCarthy
: Jason Catania (2nd Pick)
Catcher: Wilson Ramos (RD 2)
Corner Infielder: Danny Valencia (RD 1)
Middle Infielder: Jason Kipnis (RD 5)
Outfielder: Will Venable (RD 3)
Starting Pitcher: Doug
- Can You Do What Shaq Green-Thompson Has Done?
Via thief of hearts Yirmiyahu comes urgent breaking news regarding the stat line of Red Sox 18th-round draft choice Shaq Green-Thompson. Mr. Green-Thompson is currently plying his trade
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 03/04/2014
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris to review the AL LABR auction while Derek Carty of MLB.com joins in to review the NL LABR
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 03/06/2014
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette and Eno Sarris preview the Detroit Tigers and Minnesota Twins.
Audio quality on Jason's end is slightly
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and the Bust 12/19/13
Jason Collette and Eno Sarris get together for the second and final time in 2013 to discuss the plethora of transactions that conveniently took place after they both departed the Winter
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and the Bust 01/09/14
Jason Collette and Eno Sarris break down the fantasy futures of the Houston Astros and Toronto Blue Jays. All of our audio issues have been corrected so thanks for your patience. No Hall
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 01/21/14
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris to preview the St. Louis Cardinals and the Chicago Cubs.
As usual, don’t hesitate to tweet
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 01/29/14
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris to preview the San Francisco Giants and the Cleveland Indians.
As usual, don’t hesitate
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 02/04/2014
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris to preview the Seattle Mariners and the Miami Marlins.
As usual, don’t hesitate to tweet
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 02/07/2014
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris to preview the New York Mets and the Washington Nationals.
As usual, don’t hesitate
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 02/12/2014
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris to preview the Baltimore Orioles and the San Diego Padres
As usual, don’t hesitate
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 02/14/14
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris to preview the Philadelphia Phillies and the Pittsburgh Pirates.
As usual, don’t hesitate
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 02/18/14
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris to preview the Texas Rangers and the Tampa Bay Rays.
As usual, don’t hesitate to tweet us
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 02/20/14
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris to preview the Cincinnati Reds and the Boston Red Sox.
As usual, don’t hesitate to tweet
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and the Bust 12/12/13
Today's episode of The Sleeper and the Bust stars features a few changes. A new co-host! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris! A new intro! From Ian Miller aka Teen Archer! The wifi
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and the Bust 01/07/14
Jason Collette and Eno Sarris kick off the 2014 recording season by beginning the fantasy team previews. The show will tackle two teams per episode, with two shows a week throughout
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 01/16/14
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris preview the Atlanta Braves and Milwaukee Brewers.
As usual, don’t hesitate to tweet us any
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 01/23/14
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris to preview the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Los Angeles Dodgers. Skype was being a bit wonky
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 02/25/14
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette joins Eno Sarris to preview the Colorado Rockies and the Kansas City Royals as well as discuss player
- RotoGraphs Audio: The Sleeper and The Bust 03/11/2014
The latest episode of The Sleeper and the Bust is now live! Jason Collette and Eno Sarris preview the Chicago White Sox and the New York Yankees.
The next podcast will focus
- RotoGraphs' Waiver Wire League Final Results and Takeaways
Owner: Jason Catania (2nd Pick)
Catcher: Wilson Ramos (RD 2)
Corner Infielder: Danny Valencia (RD 1)
Middle Infielder: Jason Kipnis (RD
- Cubs Fans Will Need Patience
by Manny Ramirez (5.4 WAR), Nomar Garciaparra (4.8 WAR), Johnny Damon (4.1 WAR), and Jason Varitek (2.5 WAR). Out of this group only Garciaparra (0.5 WAR) failed to make a significant contribution
- This Is SportsCenter, Featuring Jason Heyward
Courtesy of your attractive friends at Wieden+Kennedy, it's the newest This Is SportsCenter spot, featuring Jason Heyward, Steve Levy, Scott Van Pelt, and a costume tree.
- Will Atlanta's Youth Movement Doom 2012 Season?
with one of their farm system products as an everyday starter with Jason Heyward (RF-2010) and Freddie Freeman (1B-2011) being the other two. The fact the Heyward, Freeman, and Pastornicky will all be 22
- Braves Bet on Regression to the Mean
is a different story). The biggest question mark though is Jason Heyward. If the 2010 version of Heyward shows up the Braves will have a competent if not powerful offense, however, if we see the 2011 Heyward
- Projections Differences Part I: Hitters
- Ron Washington Loves to [Bleeping] Bunt
, Anibal Sanchez, Jason Vargas, Brad Peacock, Jason Vargas and A.J. Griffin. Sanchez, arguably the best pitcher of the bunch, was the pitcher who was on the mound when the Rangers used a sacrifice bunt up
- 2011 Player Rankings: AL OF
Gut: Quentin hits 35 bombs
- Deep League Waiver Wire Draft
, the results should come. In the meantime, he'll be an "accruer" won't hurt me in any category.
MI: Jason Kipnis, Indians 2B
This was my favorite pick. Why? Ballsy. Granted, I'm sorta
- Indians Bet on Derek Lowe - and FIP
playing time in 2012 are what you would call defensive wizards. With offense-first middle infielders like Asdrubal Cabrera and Jason Kipnis, it's not hard to see Lowe's BABIP remaining on the high
- Fredi Gonzalez's Decision-Making Is Not Helping the Braves
a series against the Houston Astros and facing lefty starter J.A. Happ. Gonzalez chose to sit Jason Heyward for this game with Matt Diaz starting in RF, Martin Prado in LF, and Juan Francisco at 3B
- Dan Haren Becomes Rare Underpaid Dodger
in, but one team beat all the others to the punch.
The Hot Stove thus far has given us five starting pitcher signings in Haren, Tim Hudson, Josh Johnson, Tim Lincecum and Jason Vargas. The table
- Deep-League Strategies: Outfield
, they'll net more plate appearances. For example, Luke Scott kills righties to the tune of a .550 slugging percentage and 20 bombs since 2008, and Jason Kubel is right behind him with 19 four-baggers
- Yunesky Maya: Mining the Minors
being, what with the Nats rotation pitching waaay over their heads. But considering the track records of those five, especially the back end, it's only a matter of another Jason Marquis injury
- d'Arnaud, Pastornicky: Prospect Chatter
entrust such a pivotal role to a rookie without breaking him in slowly or at least having a backup plan. But remember, with the way other Braves position player prospects have fared recently (Jason
- Keeper Strategy -- 2012 Impact Rookies: Catchers
deal this season. But longtime Red Sox Jason Varitek, while still capable in a limited role (.742 OPS), is a free agent who will turn 40 soon after Opening Day 2012, and Lavarnway will be ready
- Prospect Chatter
1) Top 20 Fantasy Prospects For 2012, According To ESPN's Jason Grey
A few weeks ago, the very respected, very savvy Mr. Grey came out with this piece on his Top 20 Fantasy Prospects
- Michael Taylor, Liam Hendriks and Simon Castro: Prospect Chatter
In this edition...
What the re-signing of Coco Crisp means for a former top prospect, why getting Jason Marquis is -- gasp -- a good move for the Twins and how the other side of the Carlos Quentin deal could
- Keeper Strategy -- 2012 Impact Rookies: Second Basemen
, it's worth pointing them out now.
PLAYERS RANKED IN ORDER OF 2012 FANTASY IMPACT
OPENING DAY STARTERS AND BACKUPS
Jason Kipnis, Indians
- 2012 Organizational Rankings: #18 - Colorado
-signing or acquiring Hernandez, Scutaro, Moyer, Rafael Betancourt, and Jason Giambi all of whom are on the wrong side of 35, despite most teams moving to younger players. This seems like a peculiar
- The Josh Johnson Dilemma
Line drive single off the glove of Mark DeRosa by Jonathan Villar
Line drive single past a diving Mark DeRosa by Jose Altuve
Single through the right side by Jason Castro past a diving Mark
- Jonathan Papeldone?
Soriano, Jason Grilli, Koji Uehara, Jose Veras (twice), Joe Nathan, Joaquin Benoit, Chad Qualls, and Jon Axford each has signed a free agent deal for two years or fewer and only Nathan and Soriano's deals
- Where Closers Come From
' command: all over the place. Only eight of the 37 pitchers in the sample size were taken as a top 100 draft selection. The list is led by Jason Grilli, who was a fourth pick in the 1997 amateur draft
- NL Outfield Fallers: Bay, Lee, Ibanez
Jason Bay, Mets
Collated ADP: 146 (Mock Draft Central: 137; ESPN: 164; Yahoo!: 136)
Bay's first season in Flushing was a flat out disaster. And that was before the 32-year-old suffered
- Five NL Starters You Shouldn't Draft
have trouble trusting Javier Vazquez
after A Bronx Fail: Part 2 or Jason Hammel and his cringe-worthy surface stats, but either would be a better upside play this late.
- FAAB Strategies
contributors, but others like Dayan Viciedo and Jason Castro didn't do nearly as much with their opportunities. This field can be very hit-or-miss.
Two Scoops: New and Unforeseen Opportunities
- Mining the Minors: Rogers, Phelps, Sands
Talent Rating: 6
Obstacle(s): Orlando Cabrera and Jack Hannahan short-term; Lonnie Chisenhall and Jason Kipnis long-term
All Indians fans -- and nearly as many fantasy owners
- Nick Swisher: Buy Low?
in the past two decades: From Andre Agassi and Brooke Shields to Chuck Finley and Tawny Kitaen, Jason Sehorn and Angie Harmon to Chris Webber and Tyra Banks. And Cowboys fans will never forget, let alone
- American League Outfielders: Updated Rankings
-- both top 5s among AL OFs) and Cuddyer (1.086 June OPS and 2B eligibility) each get a tier bump for their specialty skills.
- Johnny Giavotella and Ryan Lavarnway: Mining the Minors
as they are to carry a third catcher alongside Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jason Varitek. Barring injury or trade -- Lavarnway himself is potential bait, which would make him much more intriguing almost
- Leonys Martin, Brad Peacock and Garrett Richards: Mining the Minors
actually have plenty of other pitchers they can start over the final weeks, even after trading Jason Marquis. For one, there's the expected return of Stephen Strasburg, who the organization
- American League Outfielder Rankings: Post-Trade Deadline
- Brian Matusz and Wade Miley: Mining the Minors
Talent Rating: 7
Cling Factor: 7
When recently-acquired Jason Marquis went down after being hit by a line drive Sunday, Miley got the call. A 2008 sandwich round pick, Miley
- Brad Peacock (again!), Ryan Flaherty and Addison Reed: Prospect Chatter
colleague, Mr. Barr, thoroughly tackled the whole who-closes-for-the-Chicago-White-Sox-now-that-Sergio-Santos-is-gone? issue. Then with the first trade of 2012, GM Kenny Williams sent Jason Frasor
- Danny Hultzen, Fernando Martinez, Andrew Brackman: Prospect Chatter
five-man starts off with Felix Hernandez, Michael Pineda and Jason Vargas, and now Iwakuma is in the mix. Those four are locks. That leaves just one spot for Hultzen, who'll have to compete
- Prospect Impact: Bundy, Wheeler, Jackson
by the Justin Upton trade, which is being covered aplenty by my fellow RotoGraphers.
Adam Eaton, D-backs OF: He's now free to start in centerfield with Cody Ross and Jason Kubel flanking
- Prospect Impact: Danny Hultzen, Matt Davidson, Grant Green
the rotation out of spring were probably never super high, even after Jason Vargas was traded, and bringing Saunders into the fold should just about clinch that.
Hultzen, who was considered very close
- Keeper Strategy -- 2012 Impact Rookies: Outfielders
down on his 40% K rate in the majors so far. Until he does, he's more risk than reward and nothing more than a reserve OF in AL leagues.
Joe Benson, Twins
Delmon Young is already gone, and Jason
- Fake Teams' Prospect Mock Draft: My Team, My Strategy
10: Mike Newman, FanGraphs/RotoScouting.com
11: Ben Carsley, Fire Brand of the AL
12: Jason Catania, FanGraphs
13: Jason Hunt, Fake Teams
The Results: The full rosters were posted last week
- American League Outfielders: Updated Rankings
on doubles (13), and he's hitting a robust .339, so maybe -- just maybe -- he is having that long-awaited arrival.
- Anthony Rizzo: Mining the Minors
with 5-game requirements) to be a very serviceable AL-only option as a plug-and-play type who won't hurt you. But he does need to prove he can hit in the bigs soon because Lonnie Chisenhall and Jason
- Mike Moustakas: Mining the Minors
in 120 ABs), but the Mets would be smart to deploy the lefty-swinging Duda, who does most of his damage versus righties (1.094 OPS, 22% BB rate), in a platoon with Jason Bay, who does most of his
- American League Outfielder Rankings: Second Half
It's now-or-never for Rios
- Jose Altuve, Jake McGee, Tyler Flowers: Mining the Minors
is actually worth owning.
Ryota Igarashi, Mets RP
Talent Rating: 6
Cling Factor: 8
While Jason Isringhausen and Bobby Parnell share the saves for the Mets, the hard-throwing Igarashi, 32, should notch
- Best Shape 2.0: Adding a New Pitch
to his craft is something he explained to Jason Churchill back in January:
“My big work-in-progress is a two-seam fastball, like a good, consistent two-seam fastball, and I want to start it on the left
- Pedro Alvarez and Paul Goldschmidt: Mining the Minors
surgery undergoer Rubby De La Rosa.
Jason Donald, Indians
Talent Rating: 5
Cling Factor: 4
Forever known as the Unperfecter? At least to me.
If you want quick
- James Darnell and Nate Eovaldi: Mining the Minors
lost his job (step aside, Travis Snider) or waiting for that injured star to return (hurry back, Rickie Weeks) or sitting on that pitcher who was traded to a tougher environment (hey, Jason Marquis
- 2012 AL Outfielder Keeper Rankings: Fifth -- and Final -- Tier
that on RotoGraphs, right?
Jason Kubel, Free Agent
The problem with Kubel is people keep expecting more. Or rather, they keep expecting him to repeat his 2009 (.300-28-103). It's not going to happen. He's just
- Top 100 Fantasy Prospects for 2012: 60-41
from that position.
55: Eduardo Sanchez, Cardinals RP
2011 Highest Level: Majors
St. Louis' bullpen is deeper than you might think, with Jason Motte at closer
- NL Playoff Push Prospects: Mining the Minors
base in St. Louie has been a Who's Who of Fringe Major Leaguers for years now, and Wong has the skill set to change that. There's a Jason Kipnis-like pop-speed combo here, and Wong's plate discipline
- Rays Succeed on the Field, But Fans Don't Show
- Will a New Stadium Solve Rays' Attendance Woes?
- Free Agent Market: Center Field
- Diamondbacks Corner Market on Backup Infielders
- Why Trade Martin Prado?
- The Case for Jacoby Ellsbury
- Is Pujols an Injury Risk?
- Cubs Acquire Anthony Rizzo From Padres
- Red Sox Need Outfield Help
- Back in Valentine's Day: Bobby's Take On Pitch Counts
- Ryan Braun and Type I vs. Type II Error
- Martin Perez and Extensions For Young Pitchers
- Marlon Byrd and Trading Contact for Power
- To Keep or Trade David Price
- When Walk Years Don't Work
- The Orioles Bullpen Options
- Ryan Webb and Moving Out of Splitsville
- What Can Domonic Brown Do For You?
- Rays Pay Up for James Loney
- The Uptons and Making Contact
- Finding A New Market
- John Axford's Generous Tipping
- Doing More With Less
- Nearly Name-change Worthy
- Inconsistent Veteran Presence
- Patience Is a Vice
- AL SP Risers: Buchholz, Danks, Morrow
- Deep-League Waiver Wire: AL OF
- Mining the Minors: Cozart, Davis, Mathieson
- Deep-League Waivers: Murphy, Pie, Dyson
- American League Outfielders: Manny Fallout
- AL Outfielders: Grady's Bunch
- Clint Robinson, Charlie Blackmon, Anthony Slama: Mining the Minors
- Alex Gordon and Alex Rios: AL Outfield Riser and Faller
- Rex Brothers, Charlie Furbush, Josh Reddick: Mining the Minors
- Jose Ceda and Alexander Torres: Mining the Minors
- Eric Hosmer, Julio Teheran, Jose Iglesias: Mining the Minors
- Nick Markakis, Juan Pierre, Denard Span: Three AL OFs You Can Cut
- Todd Frazier and Dayan Viciedo: Mining the Minors
- Danny Duffy, Andy Dirks, Eric Thames: Mining the Minors
- Domonic Brown, Mike Minor, Rubby De La Rosa: Mining the Minors
- Juan Nicasio and Andrew Oliver: Mining the Minors
- Jordan Lyles, Brandon Belt and Tyler Colvin: Mining the Minors
- Lance Lynn and Mike Carp: Mining the Minors
- Dustin Ackley: Mining the Minors
- Jesus Guzman and Andrew Miller: Mining the Minors
- Paul Goldschmidt and Collin Cowgill: Mining the Minors
- Three American League Outfielders You Should Add
- Lonnie Chisenhall: Mining the Minors
- Kyle Blanks, Trayvon Robinson, Brad Brach: Mining the Minors
- Kyle Seager: Mining the Minors
- How Baseball's Most Shockingly Good Outfield Explains This Fantasy Season
- Brennan Boesch and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Second Half
- Chris Davis: Fantasy Value After Trade to Orioles
- Wily Peralta, Alex Liddi, David Cooper: Mining the Minors
- Three AL Outfielders Who Can Help Your Category Cause
- Logan Morrison, Mike Trout and Kevin Kouzmanoff: Mining the Minors
- Keeper Strategy -- 2012 Impact Rookies: First Basemen
- Keeper Strategy -- 2012 Impact Rookies: Third Basemen
- Keeper Strategy -- 2012 Impact Rookies: Shortstops
- Keeper Strategy -- 2012 Impact Rookies: Starting Pitchers
- Five AL Outfielders Who Were Better Than You Realized
- 2012 AL Outfielder Keeper Rankings: First Tier
- 2012 AL Outfielder Keeper Rankings: Second Tier
- Darvish, Rizzo and Rizzotti: Prospect Chatter
- 2012 AL Outfielder Keeper Rankings: Third Tier
- 2012 AL Outfielder Keeper Rankings: Fourth Tier
- Braves Pitchers, Hisashi Iwakuma, AFL Rising Stars: Prospect Chatter
- Jonathan Singleton, Jarred Cosart to AL: Prospect Chatter
- Astros Prospects in 2012 and Beyond: Prospect Chatter
- Dominguez and Conger: Prospect Chatter
- Brett Jackson, Phillippe Aumont, Brad Peacock: Prospect Chatter
- Top 100 Fantasy Prospects for 2012: Coming Soon
- Top 100 Fantasy Prospects for 2012: 100-81
- Top 100 Fantasy Prospects for 2012: 80-61
- Top 100 Fantasy Prospects for 2012: 40-21
- Top 100 Fantasy Prospects for 2012: 20-1
- Pastornicky, Galvis, Donaldson: Prospect Chatter
- Mining the Minors: The Return
- Hank Conger, Fernando Martinez, Adam Eaton: Mining the Minors
- Kole Calhoun, Adeiny Hechavarria, Roger Kieschnick: Mining the Minors
- Andrelton Simmons, Nate Eovaldi, Garrett Richards: Mining the Minors
- Matsuzaka, Perez, Pryor: Mining the Minors
- AL and NL SPs, OFs and RPs: Mining the Minors
- Thornburg, Archer and Grimm: Mining the Minors
- Cabrera, Wilson and Schafer: Mining the Minors
- Vitters, Lavarnway and Straily: Mining the Minors
- The Trade Deadline's Impact on Prospects: Mining the Minors
- AL Playoff Push Prospects: Mining the Minors
- Keeper Strategy -- 2013 Impact Rookies: Catchers
- Keeper Strategy -- 2013 Impact Rookies: Corner Infielders
- Keeper Strategy -- 2013 Impact Rookies: Middle Infielders
- Keeper Strategy -- 2013 Impact Rookies: Outfielders
- Prospect Chatter: AFL Standouts
- Prospect Chatter: AFL Slumpers
- Prospect Impact: Toronto Blue Jays
- Prospect Impact: Hicks, Arcia, Garcia and more
- Prospect Impact: Kolten Wong, Gary Brown, Hak-Ju Lee
- Prospect Impact: Rays-Royals Trade
- Prospect Impact: Dbacks-Indians-Reds Trade
- Prospect Impact: Singleton, Rendon and Olt
- Prospect Impact: Zunino, McPherson, Cosart
- Prospect Impact: Jackie Bradley, Bryce Brentz, Leury Garcia
- Prospect Impact: Aaron Hicks, Leonys Martin, Evan Gattis
- Top 100 Fantasy Rookies for 2013: 100-81
- Top 100 Prospects: Better in Fantasy than Reality
- Top 100 Prospects: Better in Reality than Fantasy
- Top 100 Fantasy Rookies for 2013: 80-61
- Top 100 Fantasy Rookies for 2013: 60-41
- Top 100 Fantasy Rookies for 2013: 40-21
- Top 100 Fantasy Rookies for 2013: 20-1
- Lee, Ruf, Salazar: Mining the Minors
- Phegley, Gennett, Quackenbush: Mining the Minors
- The Tao of Jason Giambi
Courtesy of Carson, this Tweet:
Jason Giambi shares his wisdom with some of the younger #Rockies players: atmlb.com/yx5RV3 #RoxCommercials #StarWars— Colorado Rockies (@Rockies) March 18
- Royals Sign Jason Vargas
, but the Royals have filled their last rotation spot by signing Jason Vargas to a four year, $32 million contract. The deal was first reported by Yahoo's Jeff Passan.
I'm assuming the initial
- Where Is Jason Bay's Power?
Jason Bay's status as a prized free agent was primarily based on one skill: his ability to hit home runs. He hit 36 in 2009, and 31 in 2008, cementing himself as one of the games premier power
- Jason Marquis, Expectations, and Reality
On the surface, Jason Marquis looks like he's having a good season. He's 9-4 with a 3.77 ERA for the San Diego Padres and if you're looking at how well his team performs collectively during his
- UZR and Jason Bay
Today the Boston Herald and Deadspin homed in on Jason Bay's 13-run change in his 2009 UZR. John Tomase of the Boston Herald writes that "UZR owes Jason Bay an apology" and Deadspin's Barry Petchesky
- Yankees Snag Jason Hirsh
The Yankees made a move for a pitcher today. Not Roy Halladay or Jarrod Washburn, but instead the Rockies Jason Hirsh. Acquired for the cost of a player to be named later, Hirsh is only two seasons
- Nationals Sign Jason Marquis
The Washington Nationals are the winners of the Jason Marquis derby. His contract is for 2-years, $15 million. Marquis is coming off a career year in which he was worth 3.8 WAR. He started the season
- Jason Bay Waves Goodbye
Jason Bay and the New York Mets have agreed to part amicably. Bay issued a statement about still having something to give to the game (i.e. a walking example of "replacement level outfielder
- Jason Heyward as Mike Trout
Just a couple years ago, it was Jason Heyward and Giancarlo Stanton that were tearing up baseball, looking like an unprecedented pair of rookie talents ready to continue on into the stratosphere
- Pitcher Study: Jason Hammel
When healthy, Jason Hammel was the Orioles' clear ace in 2012. The 29-year-old added a power sinker to his classic fastball-curveball-slider arsenal. The addition became a career year -- Hammel
- Jason Marquis Under the Radar
Jason Marquis moved into the rotation full time after arriving in St. Louis. In his first two season there he posted fabulous ERAs of 3.71 and 4.13 but they were both giant smoke screens. His FIPs
- Jason Kendall and HBPs
As a fan of the Milwaukee Brewers, I spent the last two seasons subjected to watching Jason Kendall, owner of possibly the league's worst swing, penciled into the lineup for 150 games per season
- Climbing, With Jason Grilli
There are a few different ways I could begin this post, and I can't settle upon a best one, so you're going to get them all. Prepare for a blitz of introductions. Jason Grilli was the fourth overall
- The Orioles and Jason Vargas
The still-surprising Baltimore Orioles are rumored to be "poking around" on Seattle Mariners pitcher Jason Vargas. I am not sure how that sort of physical contact is permissible (nailed
- Buying Low: Jason Kipnis
for a second-consecutive season, though, owners may be unwilling to pursue him. Perhaps a better buy-low target is Jason Kipnis of the Cleveland Indians.
The 26-year-old second baseman has spun his
- Jason Bourgeois Fits as a Royal
On Tuesday, the Kansas City Royals acquired Jason Bourgeois and Humberto Quintero from the Houston Astros in exchange for minor league reliever Kevin Chapman and a player to be named later (whom Jeff
- The Second Breakout of Jason Heyward
It was a crucial season at the plate for Jason Heyward. After turning in an extremely promising rookie season, Heyward slumped badly as a sophomore. Though he was just age-22, Heyward had a lot
- Daily Graphing - Jason Schmidt
The Giants picked up Jason Schmidt's 2006 option yesterday for 10.5 million dollars. Over the past 4 or so years, he has been one of the better pitchers in baseball with a winning percentage of 69
- Letting Jason Kubel Walk
Timing is everything in comedy and baseball options. The Twins inked Jason Kubel to a two-year extension (value: $7.2M) in January 2009. Kubel responded with a career best season. He hit 28 home runs
- Wally Pipping Jason Heyward
Jason Heyward has been having a bad year. He had back pain in spring training and missed a month this year with a shoulder injury, and was criticized by teammate Chipper Jones when he announced
- GIF: Jason Vargas' Fastball
Lost in all the hoopla last night over a New York athlete doing something fairly well, the intrepid and occasionally clammy Jason Vargas tossed a proverbial gem last night. Facing the feared Royals
- Jason Bay, Platoon Outfielder?
Remember back in the 2009-2010 off-season, when some people weren't sure who was better between big-time free agent outfielders Jason Bay and Matt Holliday? That was awesome. The Bay contract may
- Jason Castro on Catcher Framing
Most of the time, pictures do more justice than talking. So when Jason Castro said a few words about catcher framing, I immediately wanted to run to a computer to look at what he was talking about
- A Look at Jason Bartlett's Projections
The 2010 season is going to be an interesting one for Jason Bartlett. He’s coming off a season in which he posted a .389 wOBA despite a previous career high of .335 – that coming in a half-season
- What is Going on With Jason Grilli?
Jason Grilli has been one of the top middle relievers in all of baseball so far this season, netting a 1.80/2.33/2.16 ERA/FIP/xFIP along with 0.5 wins out of the bullpen in exactly 20 innings
- Jason Hammel and the Oddity of ERA
ERA can be a weird thing at times. I love it, but it doesn't always reveal the full story. Jason Hammel is the perfect subject. After six years in the Rays minor league system, and three bad stints
- The Curious Case of Jason Castro
As we look for candidates to regress in 2014, a popular choice is Houston catcher Jason Castro for it seems the Astros backstop has two targets on his back: a high strikeout rate last year of 26.5
- Buy Low on Jason Heyward
A year ago, Jason Heyward was a fantasy baseball stud muffin. Heyward was coming off a rookie season in which he popped 18 home runs and batted .277/.393/.456 at age 20, tying him with Ty Cobb
- Jason Vargas = Jarrod Washburn?
Mariners fans who thought that Washburn was still suiting up for the M's. Jason Vargas' 2010 is shockingly similar to Washburn's tenure with Seattle last year.
The superficial comparisons are obvious
- Jason Bay's Swing
Jason Bay is having a really bad year. Considering his large contract he's been given by the Mets, his 125 wRC+, combined with mediocre defense at a non-premium position, is simply unacceptable
- Jason Varitek: Not Dead Yet
When the Boston Red Sox re-signed backstop Jason Varitek to a one-year, $5 million deal with a mutual 2010 option this past winter, questions were raised as to how much the move was motivated
- Jason Heyward is Coming Around
If you took Jason Heyward in your draft this year you almost certainly spent a pretty penny on him. After a 27 homer and 21 steal campaign and the fact that Justin Upton was acquired to hit directly
- The Curve of Jason Kipnis
I tend to wonder if Jason Kipnis believes in Karma. After starting the season batting .200/.269/286, he might have been wondering just what he did to piss off the delicate balance of the universe
- What's With Jason Heyward?
At an age when most players are chasing a trip to Omaha or cutting their teeth in Low Class-A, Jason Heyward crushed major league pitching in 2010. The pre-season #1 prospect, whose legend grew
- Jason Vargas Goes Hollywood
Yesterday, the Angels acquired 29-year old southpaw Jason Vargas from the Seattle Mariners. Vargas has performed at just about a league average level according to ERA- in half of his four seasons
- You Want Jason Heyward
post says it all. Especially now with this new era of the Atlanta Braves being ushered in, you want Jason Heyward. By the end of the season, he will be listed amongst the top 10 outfielders in fantasy
- Taking Out Jason Motte
Last night, Jason Motte gave up two bloop singles and took the loss, but likely even more frustrating for the Cardinals not-closer closer, he had to watch the runs score from the dugout. After Ian
- GIF: Jason Marquis Says No
- NotGraphs Haiku: Jason Heyward
- Put Jason Motte’s Beard on It
Look at that thing. Look at it. The breadth and fullness of Jason Motte’s beard will never cease to inspire awe in me. I’m not celebrating it based on some hipster ideals based in irony
- Jason Marquis, Pennant Race Linchpin?
It's never too early to start wildly speculating about the MLB trade deadline. In the past three years, we've seen big names like Cliff Lee, Manny Ramirez, Adam Dunn and Jason Bay switch teams
- Mets "Part Ways" With Jason Bay
For the Mets, three years of Jason Bay was enough. This afternoon, they announced that they have agreed to part ways with Jason Bay, meaning he's being released from his contract. Joel Sherman has
- One Final Rewind for Jason Kendall
[Image by Justin Bopp]
After one of the lamest comeback attempts in recent memory (Manny Ramirez probably takes that trophy home), Jason Kendall has retired. While Kendall's last few seasons
- Jason Kubel Meets The Face Of The Earth
Willingham, Jay Bruce, and Jason Kubel. Yes, Jason Kubel. Granted, of the group, Kubel had the least amount of value by WAR, but this kind of demonstrates the kind of company Kubel's resurgence kept
- Jason Bourgeois, Xavier Paul: NL OF
A couple weeks ago, we updated the National League outfielder rankings. This week, we update a couple players that weren't even on those rankings.
Jason Bourgeois, Houston (1% owned in Yahoo, 0.8
- ...and the Jason Kendall Era Begins in KC
Gods of Baseball, why must you test me so?
Earlier tonight, before my wife and I went out for supper, I read reports that the Royals had signed Jason Kendall for four million dollars over two
- Jason Kendall to Undergo Shoulder Surgery
Jason Kendall is out for the next eight-to-ten months as he’ll require shoulder surgery. Not just a snarky Royals fan’s latest joke, but a reality.
Playing Kendall virtually every day likely did
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Jason Hammel
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: Jason Hammel.
- Discovery: Yukon Cornelius and Jason Motte
. Which is why he compared Zack Greinke to Ron Roenicke last night. This, above, Yukon Cornelius and Jason Motte, frigging twins, is also one of those times.
Cornelius and Motte more than just look like
- Jason Motte Has Opinions on Milkshakes
Jason Motte is many things. He is a man, beard owner, baseball player, and, according to this tweet, semi-professional etymologist.
Lack of punctuation aside, Mr. Motte brings up
- Jason Kipnis: Fantasy Stud in 2013
and Jason Kipnis in all four of my leagues. Those were my guys.
Prior to the season, I strongly advocated for Jason Kipnis at the second base position, positing that fantasy owners who missed out
- Jason Bay's Missing (But Reemerging?) Power
In light of Jason Bay's recent hot streak -- he's hitting .307/.374/.466 over the last month -- and two homerun game last night, some fans are beginning to wonder if the pre-Mets version of Jason Bay
- Jason Kipnis: In Need of a Second Half
second sacker. That indicates the strength found at the position this season and a rookie such as Cleveland's Jason Kipnis is just one example of how strong this position has become.
- Jason Castro Powers Way to Breakout
Is it just me, or do you think of the former American Idol contestant when you hear the name Jason Castro as well? Now that the cat is out of the bag and I have admitted to previously watching
- The Red Sox/Jason Bay Rumor
The Red Sox may employ the smartest front office in baseball, which is why this tweet from Jon Heyman makes little sense. Heyman suggests the Red Sox are willing (and able) to offer Jason Bay a four
- Jason Hammel vs Jeff Niemann
Jason Hammel and Jeff Niemann will always be connected. Both came up through the Rays system, are big dudes (6’6” and 6’9”), and were in the running for the fifth starter spot in Tampa last spring
- Elvis Andrus, Jason Heyward, and Walks
To piggyback off Dave Cameron's earlier post.
Jason Heyward and Elvis Andrus are two of the game’s youngest everyday players, known for their upside more than anything. Perhaps the most underrated
- Is Jason Castro Even Worth $1?
A year ago, there was talk of Astros' rookie backstop Jason Castro being a quality late round sleeper in fantasy leagues. But then he tore his ACL and, with surgery needed, Castro missed the entire
- With Apologies to Jason Castro's Wife and Mother
Back in February of 2012, as we were getting ready to start discussing potential sleepers for the upcoming season, I wrote a quick piece on Astros catcher Jason Castro that, for lack of a better way
- Q&A: Jason Giambi, Hitting Guru
Jason Giambi isn’t what he used to be. The 42-year-old slugger is little more than a player-coach at this point of his career, his leadership adding more value to the Cleveland Indians than his bat
- Jason Kipnis, on 14 Memorable Days
Jason Kipnis has had a memorable start to his big-league career. Called up on July 21, Cleveland's top prospect delivered a bases-loaded walk-off single for his first hit -- and he's been making
- Cards Closer Candidate: Jason Motte
. Many envision Perez becoming St. Louis' stopper, but Jason Motte poses a formidable roadblock.
While Perez was a well-regarded prospect, developed at a major college program (The University
- Injuries Ravage Jason Heyward's Season
Or stated more accurately, both injuries and a surprise medical procedure hampered Jason Heyward's season. After coming off a year in which Heyward was the 10th most valuable outfielder, he
- 2013 Pod Projections: Jason Heyward
It's been nearly two weeks since I posted my last Pod Projection after the journey to estimate/project HR/FB ratio took over my life. Surprisingly, Jason Heyward tallied nary a vote when I first
- Jason Motte and the Two Inning Save
- Jason Kendall's Debut Album: Rewind Yourself
Jason Kendall rules the indie scene.
In case you missed it, Jason Kendall had one of the oddest meltdowns in Spring Training interview history on Monday. Will McDonald, as always, breaks it down
- GIF: Jason Bay Broken Career Face
mark -- that place where Jason Bay's career finally broke and rolled back.
- Hot GIF: Jason Heyward Brings One Back
Yesterday's MLB.com box score reads, "Raul Ibanez flies out sharply to right fielder Jason Heyward." I vehemently disagree.
I like to think that each baseball that's put in play has its own
- FanGraphs Audio: Fantasy Friday with Jason Catania
At the beginning of March, RotoGraphs contributor Jason Catania released his list of baseball's top-100 fantasy prospects. It's with a discussion of that list that this edition
- I Dreamed That Jason Kipnis Was Traded To The Mets
, I turned toward the TV and saw a headline scrolling at the top of the screen: "Jason Kipnis traded to the Mets for four players." And then I woke up.
I immediately started to wonder — who were
- Daily Notes, Ft. Jason Vargas's Changeup, Mostly
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of Daily Notes.
1. Table: League's Top Changeups by Pitch-Type Runs, 2012
2. Action Footage: Three of Jason Vargas's Changeups
- If Minnesota Loves Jason Kubel, Set Him Free
people in right field. For Terry Ryan and Minnesota, the attention now shifts back to another old flame: Jason Kubel. Kubel has already earned some interest from the Indians, and if Kubel leaves
- Can Jason Hammel Keep Handling Lefties?
the platoon advantage -- with Eric Chavez at third base instead of Rodriguez, the Yankees will be throwing seven left-handed (or switch-hitting) batters at Orioles starter Jason Hammel. Only Derek Jeter
- Should the Green Monster Impact Jason Bay's Projection?
After playing most of the 2007 season with a knee injury, Jason Bay saw his average draft position fall to 112.88 in 2008, according to Sportsline.com. And then Bay turned around and put up a top-25
- Jason Heyward and Another File-to-Trial Benefit
Jason Heyward was supposed to be going to court in a few weeks. His agents had filed a salary number for arbitration, and his team was a file-to-trial team -- once a player has filed an arbitration
- Jason Bay on his Way (Down and) Out?
Jason Bay is owned in 32% of Yahoo leagues. Those 32% must not be Mets fans.
If you've been watching Bay in the blue and orange, there hasn't been much to like for two years now. Well, his
- Jason Vargas and Mitch Moreland: Waiver Wire
Jason Vargas (ESPN: 15 percent owned; Yahoo!: 16 percent owned)
Despite a number of high profile injuries to pitchers on both sides of the city, there is some good pitching going on in Los Angeles
- Free Agent Fantasy Impact: Jason Bay
After proving he can hit against American League pitching, Jason Bay is all set to get paid after a solid fantasy season.
Bay hit .267/.384/.537 with a career high 36 homers and 119 RBI. He also
- Angels Clear Logjam, Land Jason Vargas
it went down between two teams in the same division, the Angels and Mariners have exchanged Morales and Jason Vargas, straight up. With one move, the Angels solved two perceived problems.
- Will the Real Jason Bartlett Please Stand Up?
Rays shortstop Jason Bartlett entered the 2009 season with a reputation as a good defender with plus speed and little to no home run power. He had the ability to hit for an above average batting
- Daily Graphing - Jason LaRue & Javier Valentin
Back in December, the Reds signed Jason LaRue to a 2 year, 9.1 million dollar contract and then in January signed Javier Valentin to a one year 1.15 million dollar contract assuring
- The Braves, Jason Heyward, File-to-Trial & Arbitration
The Braves are going to arbitration with Jason Heyward over $300 thousand dollars. It's a wonderful sentence, full of so many words that could set you off in a million different directions. And so I
- Dale Thayer and Jason Frasor: Saves on the Wire
Jason Frasor, TOR |RP| Ownership: ESPN - 0.0% Yahoo - 1.0%
This one is more speculative on my part as Francisco Cordero, interim closer for the Blue Jays, blew yet another save
- Juan Francisco & Jason Bay: Deep League Wire
value in home runs, and perhaps runs batted in, should make him worthy of strong consideration.
Jason Bay | SEA OF | 10% Owned
I'm slightly embarrassed. Don't look now (okay, you could), but Bay
- A Jason Heyward Comp: Jeff Bagwell? Nobody?
It's obvious that Jason Heyward's .277/.393/.456 debut was impressive, especially since it came at the tender age of 20. When it comes to his walks, it was just a hair short of record-breaking. His
- Q&A: Jason Hammel, Two-Seam Evolution
When Jason Hammel takes the mound tonight against the A's, he'll be visualizing the shape of his pitches. He'll also be throwing a lot of two-seamers and sliders. Last season the Baltimore Orioles
- Stop Worrying About Jason Heyward's Spot
order. The main complaint revolves around the fact that Nate McLouth, he of the .228/.328/.373 mark as a Brave, is batting second, while Jason Heyward (.275/.393/.464 career) hits sixth. Heyward
- Does Jason Varitek Have Anything Left to Offer?
By signing Kelly Shoppach the Boston Red Sox seem to be indicating that the Jason Varitek Era is at an end. Varitek was already a part-time player in Boston, mostly serving as the lesser half
- How Jason Motte Can Excel as a Closer
The Cardinal's new manager, Mike Matheny, officially named Jason Motte closer a few weeks ago, but pretty much everyone expected him to land the gig even before the announcement. Motte finished last
- Early Mock Draft Risers: Jason Kipnis
is probably the best time to start gauging interest in some of the players you were hoping to target this year. One player in particular that I am watching is Cleveland second baseman Jason Kipnis. I owned
- 2013 Best 'Sell High' -- Jason Kipnis
Remember how great it was during Jason Kipnis' rookie year? You probably got him for cheap in your draft and right out of the gate, he starts producing. Sure, he hit just .256 for that first month
- Jason Heyward: Different, But Still Really Good
Jason Heyward hit the big leagues in 2010 as a 20-year-old prodigy, but also with a skillset that is more commonly found among players in their mid-thirties. Heyward drew 92 walks in his rookie year
- Chris Young Next to Regular-Sized People: Jason Bay
Here's an image -- following Jason Bay's first-inning grand slam during last night's Mets-Marlins game -- an image of right-handed pitcher Chris Young next to the aforementioned Bay, a regular-sized
- Jordan Walden Mad Lib, Courtesy of Reader Jason B
Wilford Brimley: Fewer Ks as a starter.
In response to this morning's player-profile game at the main site, reader (and possible genius) Jason B decided to make his own mad lib from the framework
- Jason Kendall Cleans Up Nice, Records Jazz Album
Jason Kendall, who had what is probably going to be career-ending shoulder surgery last summer, who was accused of abusing Adderal by his ex-wife (with whom he is engaging in a nasty child custody
- Keeper League Would You Rather: Bryce Harper or Jason Heyward?
of yours and let's get to it because this one is a tough one.
Assuming the cost of protecting them is exactly the same, would you rather keep Bryce Harper or Jason Heyward?
- David Ross, Jason Pridie, Greg Dobbs: Deep League Waiver Wire
catchers, give Ross a shot when he sees time in the starting lineup.
Jason Pridie | 1% | 0%
With Angel Pagan on the DL, the Mets have turned to Pridie as their centerfielder, at least against right
- Jason Heyward, Eric Hinske and Joe Mather: NL Outfielders
McLouth manning center and two home-cooked products in Martin Prado and Jason Heyward on the corners. It looked like it could be a decent-to-strong group and a change of pace for the Braves
- Status Quo: Twins Buck No Trends, Ink Jason Marquis
as in pitch out of the strike zone-baller) Jason Marquis to a one-year pact worth just more than what Slowey pulled from the Mile High men.
Let's have a look at the most 'Twins' offseasons of the past
- I Like Turtles: Jason Kubel (NL) and Josh Willingham (AL)
, it was ‘out with the old, in with the older’ as I more or less doubled down on a departed Twin -- Jason Kubel -- and an incoming one -- Josh Willingham -- as late draft power sleepers.
- Sporadic Bat-Flip Coverage: Jason Kipnis, Last Night