- MLB Free Agency Dollars to Date
this off-season, which includes total dollars as well as salary for 2010
- David Brown FanGraphs Chat - 1/9/15
11:57Comment From mtswWho are you? Kiley too big to do these now that he's the type of guy who gets named dropped in MLBtraderumors headlines? 11:58Dave Brown: My name is Dave Brown. You might know
- The Daily Grind: Niese, Gibson, Nicolino, Brown
Daily DFS - Chen, Niese
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - Gibson, Nicolino, Brown, Odubel
1. Daily DFS - Chen, Niese
There are only seven games tonight
- Inside Jeremy Guthrie's Sneaker Vault
Jeremy Guthrie has an actual vault where he keeps his sneakers. He keeps his money in a shoebox.
- Jeremy Blachman's 10 Bold Predictions
Darvish will set a career high in U.S. Games Played.
4. Wade Davis will step up to be the best pitcher in the Rays' rotation, making people forget about David Price, Matt Moore, and Jeremy
- Totally Unfair Statistic
Last Friday, MLB.com highlighted Dan Haren as the thirteenth pitcher to beat all 30 MLB teams, joining Al Leiter, Randy Johnson, Barry Zito, A.J. Burnett, Kevin Brown, Terry Mulholland, Curt
- Prospect Woes
The pipes backed up three times last season, once flooding the visitors’ dugout with brown water and another time forcing sewage out of the clubhouse sinks.
That stuff's flammable, right?
- Jeremy Blachman's 10 Bold Predictions for 2013
to re-create his magical rookie season and give the Angels one more year of pre-arbitration eligibility.
4. Jeremy Hefner: National League Cy Young Award winner, and heir to the Playboy fortune.
- Jeremy Giambi: "I Purposely Slowed Down"
Breaking News -- following Adam Wainwright's comment that he grooved the pitch Derek Jeter hit for a double at this week's All-Star Game, Jeremy Giambi revealed that he purposely slowed down back
- Show Me the $! End-of-Year Payrolls
compensation, buyouts of unexercised options and cash transactions. In some cases, parts of salaries that are deferred are discounted to reflect present-day values.
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter
- Inside Salary Arbitration
flipped). That has now been corrected. -- Maury Brown
Before Curt Flood’s landmark case, and before Messersmith and McNally held out in a contract year, thus allowing for the reserve clause
- How MLB Became the Example of Peacemakers
on NFL Parade? (Variety)
FOLLOW MAURY BROWN ON TWITTER @BizballMaury
- More People Are Watching The Tigers Than Are Currently Alive in Detroit
Maury Brown has a super-interesting post on Forbes that lists the local television ratings for each of the major league teams (except the Dodgers and Astros, which have cable-system-carrying
- Sizing Up Mark Cuban; Potential Owner Of The Rangers
We're happy to announce that Maury Brown, owner of the Business of Sports Network, will be writing for us here every Tuesday. Please welcome Maury to the crew.
Well, this is a fine mess you
- Q&A: Scooter Gennett on Ceramics, Lefties and Riding Scooters
meetings. In addition to the charity work, he also discussed how he's preparing for the upcoming season, and further explained how Ryan Joseph Gennett became — sometimes — "Scooter."
- What's In Store for the Texas Rangers Auction
- Rob Manfred on Minor League Drug Testing Program
- Why Relocation and Expansion are a Pain for MLB
- Will Leaked MLB Financials Alter Revenue-Sharing?
- I Really Had a Blackout
- The Death of Baseball in Portland
- Playing the God of Baseball
- Could MLB's Postseason TV Ratings Be Down?
- Breaking Down 2010 MLB Regular Season Attendance
- Rays Lose ALDS, San Antonio Dreams the Pipedream
- At Game 1 of the World Series: Prelude - Different Is Good
- At Game 1 of the World Series: Overflow Media
- A Primer on the Baseball Winter Meetings
- Will Steinbrenner Beat Out Miller for HOF
- Making Postseason $ When Missing The Playoffs
- Salary Arbitration Mumbo Jumbo
- The Upcoming CBA: An International Draft
- Josh Willingham: Honoring the Hammer
- Michael Ynoa Gets New Life With White Sox
- Dick Enberg Honored With the Ford C. Frick Award
- Using Batted-Ball Data to Measure Hitter Performance
- No, Twitter, I said BEN Sheets!
: Ben Sheets. (And, really, I did type it in correctly. Double-checked and everything.)
A few results:
omg im folding my brother's ben linens and his sheets are like brown but kind of satiny
- The Best of FanGraphs, June 29-July 3, 2015
for FanGraphs, brown for RotoGraphs, purple for NotGraphs, dark red for The Hardball Times and blue for Community.
A-Rod's Miraculous Comeback
It's not just BABIP-driven. He really
- Domonic Brown and Getting There
Sunday afternoon, Domonic Brown did something he's been doing a lot of lately. Brown faced Mike Fiers in the bottom of the first, with two on and two out. After a first-pitch curveball found the zone
- $20 Million To Have Your Way With Mr. Met
of a terrible baseball team, that comes with no control over what the team does. I think they can afford to pay full price for a hat, if they even want one. David Brown has already written a piece
- Daily Notes, Partially Crowdsourced
Honey Brown Ale
Baileys Caramel Irish Cream
Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro
Ace Pumpkin Cider
- Maddux, Clemens, Pedro... Brown?
and Schilling on this list. No, instead, I am focusing on the starting pitcher that concludes this list: Kevin Brown.
Whenever most people see this list of nine starting pitchers, Brown tends
- Domonic Brown Goes Mashing
The rumor on the street is that Domonic Brown had a breakout season in 2013. But can we trust that to be a sign of things to come?
Brown was once (briefly) the top prospect in all of baseball
- Phillies summon Domonic Brown
prospect in baseball: outfielder Domonic Brown. Most of us expected Brown to get the call once the team traded Jayson Werth, but Victorino's injury makes such a deal unlikely. Werth will instead shift
- The Dramatic Decline of Domonic Brown
Coming into the 2011 season, Domonic Brown ranked as the fourth-best prospect in all of baseball according to Baseball America. The Philadelphia Phillies had just watched right fielder Jayson Werth
- Dom Brown Up or Down?
On a team accused of aging quickly -- though the space-time continuum has something to say about that -- Domonic Brown is the youngest, most exciting offensive piece. But now he's spent two seasons
- Should Kevin Brown Be in the Hall of Fame?
Is there a more overlooked candidate on the current Hall-of-Fame ballot than Kevin Brown?
Poke around, and you'll find the usual shopworn debates and entrenched positions, but Brown, it would seem
- Chris Brown: Blue Jays Fan
"Teach me how to Dougie Chris Brown." Watch the video. Tell me what you see.
I, of course, obliged.
In the video that's been
- Daily Graphing - Jeremy Reed
After hanging around Baseball America's top 100 prospect list for a couple years, Jeremy Reed, at only 24 years of age played his first full major league season in 2005. Compared to the small
- Jeremy Hellickson: Strikeouts Cometh
Join me! The rabbit hole is suspiciously warm.
The Tampa Bay Rays are now down 1-2 in the ALDS, placing their hopes for a Rangers rout on the shoulders of rookie right-hander Jeremy Hellickson
- Jeremy Hermida = Ben Grieve?
Outfielder Jeremy Hermida was the object of scouting and sabermetric admiration as his climbed up the Florida Marlins' farm system. With a silky-smooth left-handed swing and tremendous plate
- Addendum on Jeremy Hellickson Love
Carson wrote a little about Jeremy Hellickson earlier today, but I wanted to write a little more on the guy I’ve affectionately nicknamed Narwhal – in large part due to the mystique surrounding his
- Q&A: Jeremy Hellickson
There is a good chance that Jeremy Hellickson will be named American League Rookie of the Year this afternoon. Whether he deserves the honor is a matter of debate, but there's no question the 24-year
- Traded: Jeremy Hermida to Boston
Earlier this decade, OF Jeremy Hermida was pegged for stardom. But following yesterday's trade to the Boston Red Sox for LHP's Hunter Jones and Jose Alvarez, Hermida may well have completed his
- Jeremy Guthrie is Thriving in K.C.
Last night, Jeremy Guthrie flirted with a no-hitter for 7 innings until he gave up a infield single to “speedy” Paul Korerko. Besides flirting with a no-hitter, he had gone 22 straight innings
- ADP Crowdsourcing: Jeremy Hellickson
In this week’s edition of ADP Crowdsourcing, we are taking a look at two players who will be affected by Matt Garza being traded to the Cubs. Today we finish our week of voting with Jeremy Hellickson
- Jeremy Affeldt and Valuing Relievers
Based on reports from the last few days, the Giants have reportedly agreed to re-sign Jeremy Affeldt to a three year, $18 million contract. Predictably, the internet has responded with scorn
- Why Jeremy Hellickson Won
Jeremy Hellickson is the 2011 AL Rookie of the Year. Despite the fact that Hellickson finished with just 1.4 WAR -- good for eighth among AL rookie pitchers -- he managed to beat out some other very
- Under the Radar: Jeremy Bonderman
It's easy to forget that Jeremy Bonderman is only 27-years-old. He was placed in Detroit's rotation and made 28 starts as a 20-year-old during their horrific 43-win season in 2003. Bonderman
- Jeremy Hellickson is Ready, Are the Rays?
in the toughest division in baseball.
But complicating matters for the Rays is the presence of another top prospect in Triple-A who is having great success in Durham. Jeremy Hellickson, rated the Rays
- Jeremy Hellickson Defies The Odds
Jeremy Hellickson was a major bust candidate entering last season. The 2011 Rookie of the Year may have pitched well according to traditional methods, racking up a 2.95 ERA over 189 innings
- Jeremy Guthrie: AL and Loving It
down Zach Sanders' Starting Pitcher End of Season Rankings all the way to number 94, you'll find an exception in Royals' starter Jeremy Guthrie. He basically crossed over twice in 2012 and in both
- Jeremy Guthrie Bucks the Trend
a major weakness for the disappointing 25-41 Rockies.
That doesn't say very much for Jeremy Guthrie, who has pitched so poorly in a poor rotation that he is being moved to the bullpen. The season has
- Domonic Brown and Exploring the Reality of Breakouts
It was my initial intent to write something about Tuesday's trade rumor that involved Domonic Brown and Jose Bautista. The rumor, presented straight-up, was absolutely fascinating for the implied
- Spotted: A Colombian Person Named Steve Brown
First, Colombia was inhabited by indigenous peoples like the Muisca, Quimbaya, and Tairona. Then, in the 16th century, it was conquered by the Spanish. Then, in 1986, Steve Brown was born
- The Rays' Not So Simple Arithmetic
- Domonic Brown Has Made Some Changes
It's been five years since Domonic Brown cracked the public consciousness as a five-tooler in the Phillies system. Five up and down years. Three of those years, he failed to impress in short samples
- Domonic Brown Good News/Bad News
. It was promising, and, sure enough, Saunders had a breakthrough season. Spring training isn't entirely devoid of substance.
Which brings us to the matter of Domonic Brown, on Tuesday, February 26
- What Can Domonic Brown Do For You?
It appears, once again, that Domonic Brown's name is out there cooking up in the hot stove. Dave and Jeff each touched on Brown when his name last came up in rumors last month when a Brown for Jose
- Brown's Bad Break Limits Phillies' Flexibility
The Philadelphia Phillies offensive depth was already going to be thin this season. That was before Domonic Brown broke the hamate bone on his right wrist Saturday afternoon. And while there’s
- Free Agent Bargain: Jeremy Affeldt
dividends for the team that recognizes that they're worth more than they're going to get this winter.
Starting off, let's take a look at one of the more underrated pitchers in the game - Jeremy Affeldt
- Orioles Trade Jeremy Guthrie For...Huh?
This is a trade that just doesn't make sense to me:
The Rockies and Orioles are nearing an agreement that would send starter Jeremy Guthrie to Colorado, most likely for pitchers Jason Hammel
- A NotGraphs Fireside Chat with Jeremy Blachman
baseball from the way we craft meaning about it, and perhaps about ourselves from our need to do so.
All Fireside Chats are rated TLDR.
Today's guest is Jeremy Blachman, who you may be familiar
- Jeremy Hellickson Angers the Luck Dragons
In his first two full seasons with the Rays, Jeremy Hellickson has perplexed the saber-nerds. How does a guy who has posted pretty weak strikeout rates, walked more batters per nine than the league
- Jeremy Sowers to Triple-A (Punless Version)
Jeremy Sowers passed through waivers untouched. This is unsurprising. In 400 (exactly 400) Major League innings as a starter, Sowers has an xFIP over 5 and a contact rate near 88%. His high-80s
- Jeremy Hellickson and Re-Defining BABIP
BABIP to Jeremy Hellickson. Not only did he mention a sabermetric statistic to a player, but he brought one up that makes Hellickson look bad:
"Yea, I just got lucky on the mound," Jeremy Hellickson
- It’s a Good Time to Grab Dom Brown
If there is one guy I have been following relatively closely throughout this year in case I wanted to pick up a bat, it has been Domonic Brown. In his first year as a starter and his hype at an all
- Senseless 19th Century Baseball Deaths: Lew Brown
Lew Brown played for Providence, at least two Boston clubs, and assorted other teams during a seven-year career. He retired, it would seem, following his age-26 season. In January of 1889, just
- Jeremy Guthrie as Baltimore's Bright Spot
, Jeremy Guthrie (3.74 ERA over 190 innings so far) might seem to be a "bright spot" in this otherwise wasted season.
If you're reading this, you probably know that ERA is not considered to be a first
- Dom Brown: Less Shiny, Still Exciting
Domonic Brown is back in the bigs. He was once projected by Bill James to go 30/30, so obviously he has the tools to stick in the major leagues. But just as obvious is the fact that he's not the same
- For Reference: Mordecai Brown vs. Django Reinhardt
as the Horrible. Indeed, perhaps in many cases, this is the result. In the dual cases of great right-hander Mordecai Brown and great jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt, however, such an injury actually
- Field of Streams: Episode 137 - The Immortal Trevor Brown
Episode 137 - The Immortal Trevor Brown
The latest episode of “Field of Streams” is live!
In this episode, Dylan Higgins and Matthew Dewoskin discuss a weird recording schedule, the Patriot's
- Totally Unaltered Tweet: Jeremy Jeffress Trade
Right-hander Jeremy Jeffress was traded Thursday from Kansas City to Toronto. What follows is an entirely and in-no-way altered tweet concerning his (i.e. Jeffress's) contract status (click
- Waiver Wire and the DL: Brown, Blake, Garland and Pineiro
Domonic Brown (2.7% owned) – Wrist – Dominic's return to the Phillies looks to be in late April right now. He entered the season with high expectations, but his wrist injury set him back
- Jeremy Hellickson: Now Slightly More Interesting
-- but if they're there, you pay attention.
It's understandable to not find Jeremy Hellickson too exciting. Over the course of his career, he's been about the definition of average. Oh, Hellickson once
- Should You Put Stock in Jeremy Guthrie's Rebound?
Here’s a quick recap of the whirlwind last 12 months or so of Jeremy Guthrie’s life, and you tell me which of these items seems to jump out at you the most:
1) After five years with the Orioles
- Diamondbacks Decide to Find Out What Jeremy Hellickson Is
Over his first full season, back in 2011, Jeremy Hellickson ran a mediocre 115 FIP-. It wasn't a particularly awful mark for a rookie, but that doesn't suggest the kind of talent you build around
- Royals Celebrate Mediocrity, Sign Jeremy Guthrie
of the Royals agreeing to give Jeremy Guthrie a three year contract, today is not the day that I get to write something positive about a Dayton Moore transaction.
Let's just start with Guthrie. He turns 34
- Jeremy Hellickson is Spotting His Change-Up
is the capacity to admit he is wrong.
I was wrong. About Jeremy Hellickson, specifically. In late April, I pegged Hellickson as someone who would regress in his strikeout rate (K%) based on his
- So You're Starting Jeremy Guthrie In The ALCS
, he's going with Jeremy Guthrie, who hasn't pitched since Sept. 26, a full 17 days of rest. Though he's 35 years old, Guthrie has never thrown a pitch in a postseason game, so the often-seen
- 2012 Pod Pitcher Projections: Jeremy Hellickson
Today I continue on with the Pod pitcher projections, this time with AL Rookie of the Year winner, Jeremy Hellickson. I have written a lot about Hellickson over the off-season, all with similar
- Jeremy Sowers: From Flawed Southpaw to MBA Ray
Jeremy Sowers doesn’t turn 33 until later this month. He’s young enough that he could still be pitching. Having succumbed to shoulder woes and ineffectiveness, he’s instead embarking on a new career
- Prospect Impact: Kolten Wong, Gary Brown, Hak-Ju Lee
ACTION: Giants sign OF Angel Pagan
PROSPECT IMPACT: OF Gary Brown, Giants
The speedy Brown burst onto the scene with a ridiculous 2011 in which he hit .336 with 53 steals, while also racking up 61
- Domonic Brown, Mike Minor, Rubby De La Rosa: Mining the Minors
(or return, if already sent down) during this season.
Players listed in order of 2011 fantasy impact.
MIXED LEAGUE RELEVANT
Domonic Brown, Phillies OF