- How Will Prince Fielder Age?
replacement level in year 8. Only time will tell if he continues to be productive into his 30's like David Ortiz and Jim Thome, or collapses like Mo Vaughn and Adan Dunn. Either way, it is clear that his
- Open-Market Value — The Free Agent Team
Jim Thome will DH against RHP, and the plan is to squeeze another 320 PA out of him at 1.3 WAR. In reality, he signed with the Phillies for $1.25 million.
As alluded to earlier
- The Unique Path to Success in Oakland
- Bringing Bill James' Famous Arbitration Case to 2014
- The Chicago Cubs and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Junior Lake Season
- Another Look at Momentum in October
- Poking Holes In Some of the Best Players of 2016
- Chris Young & Eric Campbell: Deep League Wire
. When that happens, he’ll be worth a look in deeper mixed formats, but he’s already a decent flier in AL-only leagues.
Eric Campbell / 3B / New York Mets / 2%
It didn’t take long for David Wright
- The Brandon McCarthy Saga - Part One
- The Brandon McCarthy Saga - Part Two
- An Alternative to Pujols in St.Louis
- Extending Shaun Marcum
- Don't Sleep on the Angels
- Red Sox Bring In Jesse Carlson
- Yu Darvish's Landing Spot
- Joe Saunders: A Fit for the New-Look Marlins?
- FAN Projection Targets: AL West Second Basemen
- The Post-Injury Jeff Francis and DIPS
- Who Is Your $100 Million Pitcher?
- Yadier Molina's Potential Payday and Catcher Aging
- Stanton's Possible Extension
- Brett Cecil's Descent?
- Starlin Castro Is Good at Baseball
- Year of the Pitcher?...Think Again
- GIF: Jim Johnson's Jim Johnson
Because Oriole Jim Johnson plays for the Orioles, there's a strong chance that no one -- perhaps besides his teammates and Buck Showalter and Buck Showalter's grizzled and nameless manservant
- Jim Thome
Jim Thome hits free agency this offseason, after playing out the last season of his 2003-2008 (with 2009 vesting in 2008) contract. Injuries in Philadelphia and his eventual inability to play
- Discovered: The Jim Leyland Breakfast
Vine.co user Carl Skanberg provides a most excellent artist's rendering of what Jim Leyland ate this morning, and every morning previous.
- Jim Edmonds as a Duck
originalist interpretations of the Constitution. So in some ways, a bewinged and bebilled Jim Edmonds fulfills Madison's fondest hopes. Stated another way, if Jim Edmonds had never been rendered as a duck
- Daily Graphing - Jim Thome
For the first time in 7 years, Jim Thome failed play in over 140 games after having season ending elbow surgery in mid August. Before his decision to shut things down, he was easily having the worst
- Jim Rice Makes It In
worthy player no matter what rational criteria you use and disappointment that Jim Rice finally made his way in. Mostly though I was left with a resounding apathy. Like every award that is voted
- Jim Thome: Tater Masher
HI THIS IS JI-
Over the weekend, the Phillies did Jim Thome a solid, sending the future Cooperstown resident out to the equivalent of pasture for over-35 power hitters; the American
- Jim Edmonds for Chris Dickerson
The Cincinnati Reds attempted to strengthen their postseason chances by acquiring OF Jim Edmonds from the Brewers today for OF Chris Dickerson. Edmonds was apparently a decently hot commodity
- Recalling Jim Johnson
to the minors and recalled 24-yr old pitcher Jim Johnson. Johnson, a starter in the minor leagues, had made two "audition" starts for the Orioles in 2006 and 2007, racking up the undesirable line of 5 IP
- Philosophy and Jim Joyce
In looking at whether or not Commissioner Bud Selig should overturn Jim Joyce's call and award Armando Galarraga a perfect game, I want to take a philosophical approach. Unfortunately, most
- Appreciating Jim Edmonds
, you probably didn't click on this post to begin with. If you did, just think of this more as the appreciation of a career, tied to some voting results.
It should come as no real surprise that Jim
- A Jim Deshaies Soundboard
I was surprised, at the completion our offseason crowdsourcing project, to find that FanGraphs readers had ranked Houston Astros broadcasters Bill Brown and Jim Deshaies fourth overall among
- Jim Leyland on Chemistry
Enter the name Jim Leyland into your mind’s version of Google, then hit search – or “I’m feeling lucky” if you’re feeling lucky. What comes to mind is probably a variety of descriptive terms. “Old
- Jim Thome Returns to Cleveland
In an Indians uniform, Jim Thome had a better on-base percentage than Manny Ramirez, a better OPS than Tris Speaker and more home runs than everyone by a country mile. And with Travis Hafner ailing
- Jim Thome Returns to Philadelphia
The Phillies wasted little time in making its first move of the offseason, signing Jim Thome to a one-year deal worth $1.25 million. With just those details, and no specifics about his potential
- No Love For Jim Johnson?
and there, but if they're healthy, they've always seemed to slide back into the job. So why, after 101 saves in the past two season....yes, that's right, 101...does Jim Johnson get no love?
I did a mock draft
- An Open Letter to Jim Tracy
- Jim Palmer, Near-Framer of the Constitution
It is an unassailable fact of the historical record that Jim Palmer was tasked with writing very specific passages of the Constitution. "But James," Gouverneur Morris cautioned him, "pen only
- FanGraphs Audio: Jim Deshaies, Impressively
Jim Deshaies was a major-league pitcher for 12 years and Astros broadcaster for 16 more of them (i.e. more years). He's currently both (a) in his first season as a Cubs broadcaster
- FanGraphs Audio: Jim Callis on the Draft
Jim Callis is both (a) a writer for MLB.com and (b) the guest on this particular edition of FanGraphs Audio, during which he discusses Monday's MLB Draft with guest host Kiley McDaniel
- Jim Thome Homering Across Eras
Jim Thome mashed his first tater since rejoining the Cleveland Indians last night. There's just something kind of special about seeing Thome back with the Indians, as he was one of the guys who has
- Jim Riggleman, As He Should Be Remembered
I break no news, only hearts, when I remind readers that it's been an eventful 24 hours for defrocked Nats skipper Jim Riggleman. First he witnessed a walk-off victory that was as taut as the tautest
- Jim Tracy's Creative Bullpen Management
Franklin Morales, the Rockies closer, was brought in to protect a four run lead on Sunday. Normally, this type of move would lead to criticism of Rockies' manager Jim Tracy for wasting Morales's
- Jim Henderson Gives Axford the Ax
3.1 innings, and gave up a whopping four home runs. It wasn't long before Axford was removed from the closer role and Jim Henderson replaced him.
The funny thing is, the two aren't that different
- Is Jim Leyland a Future Hall of Famer?
Jim Leyland is an elder statesman of the game, usually recognized as one of the best managers in baseball, and his Tigers just won their third straight division title. The three best managers
- Jim Henderson Suddenly an Option in Milwaukee?
Francisco Rodriguez, still the record-holder for most saves in a season. It was 29-year-old Jim Henderson, a veteran of ten minor-league seasons (and former Expos draftee!) who’d been called up
- Jim Kern's Four Incredible Seasons
, Jim Kern, might be a little less well known, but he had a significant impact nonetheless, albeit for a shorter period of time.
Before we get to them though, let’s take a brief look at how reliever
- Jim Leyland Did the Darndest Things
an option on where they batted him, and it didn’t need to be third. By the end of the night, it was one of many confusing decisions on the part of Tigers' manager Jim Leyland, who did not have his finest
- Jim Leyland's Curious Choice of Relievers
of the game the Tigers walked off extra-inning losers, and it was basically all manager Jim Leyland’s fault.
With the game in the balance, on the road, against a streaking Pirates team, Leyland
- Who Should Replace Jim Leyland?
We knew this day would come, fair NotGraphs readers. We knew that some day, Jim Leyland would no longer be the manager of the Detroit Tigers. The Gods of Baseball have spoken, and they have taken
- Q&A: Jim Hickey on James Shields
James Shields has had a career year, and at least some of the credit goes to Jim Hickey. The Rays pitching coach has played a hands-on role in the right-hander’s success, which has been fueled
- Jim Leyland Is Only 67: America Reacts
So today I realized/learned that Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland is 67 years old. Seriously? Just 67? Look at this guy:
Stunned by my discovery, I did what any sane person would do: I
- Jim Baumbach Is Covering Hell Out of Clemens Case
baseman of his baseball team.
In maybe -- although not definitely -- related news, Newsday reporter Jim Baumbach's Twitter coverage of this morning's jury selection for Roger Clemens' impending
- FanGraphs Audio: Jim Walsh of Maple Street Press
Jim Walsh, President and Founder, Maple Street Press
Finally, you can subscribe to the podcast via iTunes or other feeder things.
Audio on the flip-flop. (Approximately 30 min play time.)
- FanGraphs Audio: Former Major Leaguer Jim Abbott!
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks with former major-league left-hander and co-author (with Yahoo's Tim Brown) of a recently released autobiography, Jim Abbott
- How Much is Jim Johnson Really Worth in Fantasy
Jim Johnson has 42 saves. You own closers for saves. Ipso facto bingo blatto, Jim Johnson is an elite fantasy closer.
-- or --
Jim Johnson has 36 strikeouts in 58.1 innings. The average
- On Drew Smyly, Jim Leyland, & Stretching in Bed
(though Porcello's 4.80 first-half ERA belied his 3.03 xFIP during the same period).
In early July, however, Tigers' manager Jim Leyland put to rest any speculation on the matter of Smyly
- Candidate to Replace Jim-Tim McCarver: Jon Bois
Although I (still) have no say whatsoever in who takes up ol' Jim-Tim McCarver's seat at FoxSports' Roundtable of Sports Insights & Sports Analysis (since the last time we checked in, word