- A Surplus of Middle Infielders for the Rangers...Again!
- A Closer Look at Tommy Joseph
The Phillies called up Tommy Joseph exactly a week ago, which means I am technically a week late in getting this to fantasy owners looking for some depth at first base. I blame the timing
- Tommy Joseph and Inscrutable Dynasty Assets
The purpose of this post is not to evaluate Tommy Joseph. At least, not in the usual sense. We're here today to talk about dynasty assets. Specifically, the kinds of assets that are hard to value
- Checking in on Youngsters: McCullers, Taillon and Joseph
with shallow benches, but gamers in need of pitching help in 12-team mixed leagues with bigger benches or larger leagues should scoop him up before June.
Tommy Joseph - C(CBS)/1B(ESPN
- Caleb Joseph Could Be 2016’s Francisco Cervelli
them to move on in part because of the less-expensive in-house option, Caleb Joseph.
Joseph does not fit the mold of a prospect who would inherit the job of a departing veteran. In fact, he is less
- Two Powerful Catching Prospects: Joseph & Lavarnway
I had seen both Tommy Joseph and Ryan Lavarnway before, but when I saw them play against each other on Tuesday the similarities between the two catching prospects were striking. Both are big, bat
- Sexy R&B Interlude for Corban Joseph's Plate Discipline
single addressed predominantly to Yankees prospect Corban Joseph's plate discipline. While Joseph himself was demoted to Triple-A earlier this week, he recorded seven major-league plate appearances
- Joseph and Musgrove - Deep(ish) League Waiver Wire
16 team leagues with small benches. To my friends playing in those deepest of deep leagues, I'll get you next week.
Tommy Joseph (8% Yahoo, 9.7% ESPN, 65% CBS) – sorry, CBS players. Tommy
- One Pass and One Snag: Contreras and Joseph
, and there's no way I'm spending a top-100 pick on him.
Tommy Joseph - 1B - Philadelphia Phillies: NFBC: ADP - 213.24, Min - 167, Max - 291
Joseph was outrighted off of Philadelphia's 40-man
- What Is Wrong With David Ortiz
David Ortiz is hitting -- that is, to the extent he has stood in the batters box with a bat and hit a pitched ball and run towards first base. He is hitting, that is, in that he is and has been
- David Ortiz's Contract Complaints
I came across this blurb a couple days ago over at HardBall Talk (originally from ESPN Boston):
“David [Ortiz] is (too) proud and respectful to say how he feels in public, but the guy feels hurt
- Wainwright, Ortiz, and Facing the Monster
, Wainwright threw six pitches to David Ortiz.
If you were watching, you understand, because the extended at-bat felt a little like theater. There was nobody on and there was one out, but it felt like
- Assigning Responsibility for David Ortiz
, and it was sharply struck, but that was a fairly obvious run-scoring situation, and more importantly, what people are really going to remember is David Ortiz. What was on people's minds at the time was David Ortiz
- David Ortiz and the Meaningful Meaningless
, a weird game, and the Cardinals never got themselves righted, but if you're in search of the amazing, you look to the bottom of the seventh. When David Ortiz came to the plate, Boston's chances
- David Ortiz's Power Decline
Yesterday I looked at David Ortiz's decline in plate discipline values. Today I am going to turn to his power numbers. Because of Ortiz's inclusion on the leaked 2003 list of players who tested
- When to Walk David Ortiz
It is a bit of an exaggeration to say that David Ortiz has been the Red Sox' whole offense during the World Series, but only a bit, as he is hitting .733/.750/1.267 in the Series so far. Of course
- David Ortiz Accepts Arbitration
Ever since he's joined the Red Sox, David Ortiz has been an elite designated hitter. Even in the bad years. It might seem like a slight to the slugger that he has reportedly decided to accept
- Is Ortiz Powering Back Up?
David Ortiz had a horrible start to the season, going the first month and a half (154 PAs) without a home run. But recently he has turned it around, hitting five home runs since June 6th. Does
- The Byrd/Ortiz Play
Broxton pitching) John Buck reached on fielder’s choice to right (Fly). David Ortiz out at second.
In case you didn’t see it, you can watch it here. Ortiz was waiting to see if Buck’s short fly
- Real Art, Probably: The Wounded Deer by Corban Joseph
El Venado Herido -- or, in English, The Wounded Deer -- is an instant masterpiece by Joseph. The image is of Joseph's head placed on top of a stag, which is pierced with arrows. The arrows
- Making Up For Ortiz (Sorta)
, Hideki Okajima.
For the past two seasons, David Ortiz has racked up more WPA than any other player in baseball by adding an incredible 17 wins to his team. About one-third of the way
- Fielder and Ortiz: Contact Hitters
rebounding to prior levels. However, there is one other example of a big slugger miraculously improving his contact rate almost overnight, and it's happening right now in Boston.
David Ortiz has
- David Ortiz Has Refused to Decline
was the best hitter on the team. He was never toast until he was. It's hard to look into the toaster.
Next season is going to be David Ortiz's last. The official announcement is apparently coming
- David Ortiz and the Very Large Hall
The Hall of Fame buzz around David Ortiz is understandable given the amazing World Series he just had. With few exceptions, Ortiz has been an outstanding hitter since coming to Boston in 2003
- David Ortiz's Plate Discipline Decline
That is not to say that the Red Sox would not like to score a ton of runs. And one place they will hope to get more production from this year is the DH and David Ortiz. Ortiz had a down year in 2009
- Scouting Lewis Brinson and Luis Ortiz
be the first to compare Luis Ortiz's build to that of Rich Garces, and I won't be the last, for it is apt. Ortiz is 6-foot-3 and pushing 250 and obviously lacks any modicum of physical projection
- Is David Ortiz Back To Being Rosterable?
June 5th last year were considered his last hurrah.
But then something strange happened. The calender turned to May, and all of a sudden Ortiz started hitting again. Quite literally too, he hit two
- Players' View: Farewell David Ortiz
David Ortiz was feted at Fenway Park yesterday. The 40-year-old slugger will retire following the postseason, and he’s deserving of any and all accolades that come his way. “Big Papi” finished
- Q&A: David Ortiz and Justin Verlander
It goes without saying that David Ortiz and Justin Verlander are among the most dominant players of their era. The Red Sox slugger has a career .284/.379/.545 slash line and 391 home runs; the Tigers
- Audio: David Ortiz Has an Announcement to Make
David Ortiz has an announcement to make regarding Boston -- which announcement utilizes language typically reserved only for the bedroom and the boardroom.
Audio stolen from
- David Ortiz, Red Sox Renew Vows
with a poor all of the 2012 season, and it became somewhat conceivable that David Ortiz would look for a change. Ortiz was set to be a free agent after the year, and as hard as it is to imagine the Red Sox
- When David Ortiz has Been Locked In
to a more or less clean and conventional Game 5, and now the clear story is David Ortiz, and how he's presently un-get-outtable. I mean, I guess the real story is how the Red Sox are on the verge of another
- David Ortiz and the Greatest Age-40 Season Ever
We'll start with a man made of straw. You might think that David Ortiz’s stated intention to retire at the end of the upcoming season would mean he’d be limping to the end, a shell of his former self
- Hats Off to Dandruff, and David Ortiz
- The Anatomy of David Ortiz, Human Wrecking Ball
The prevailing story from the World Series, right now, has to be the dominance and intimidation of David Ortiz. In the first four games of the series, he's hit 16 times and made just four outs, one
- Red Sox Exercise David Ortiz's 2011 Option
In April it seemed like a long shot -- perhaps an impossibility. A month later it was a near certainty. For nearly the entire season we've known that the Red Sox would exercise David Ortiz's $12.5
- The Complexity and Simplicity of David Ortiz vs. Mike Napoli
hitter, they'll have a decision to make before the games in the National League ballpark. David Ortiz and Mike Napoli can both hit the crap out of the ball, but when Boston's in St. Louis, one of them
- Actual Audio of David Ortiz's World Series Speech
Your browser does not support iframes.
So far as rousing public addresses are concerned, David Ortiz's Game Four one of those lacks the gravitas, probably, of Henry V's St Crispin's Day Speech
- JABO: David Ortiz and the Late March to 500
At the end of May, David Ortiz was posting a .309 OBP with just six home runs. The idea of Big Papi joining the 500 home run club this season was a pipe dream. Around that time, we heard an idea
- Carlos Beltran, David Ortiz, and the Hall of Fame
of destroying the baseball in the postseason. On Sunday, David Ortiz hit a game tying grand slam in the 8th inning, capping a somewhat miraculous comeback when the Tigers seemed fully in control of the ALCS
- GIF Quiz: Whom is David Ortiz About to Bludgeon?
Please regard, with a sense of discernment, the following color-television GIF:
What is beyond dispute is that Vermilion Stockings philosopher-king David Ortiz has dislodged the second-base
- David Ortiz and the F Word: A Comprehensive Look
this is bad news for Boston, this is good news for everybody else. Not just because of schadenfreude (although largely because of schadenfreude), but also because this means we get to hear David Ortiz say
- Sunday Notes: Revere, Hutchison, Ortiz, Chemistry, more
there, but if they aren't as talented, you're not going to win. There's no substitute for talent.”
Some David Ortiz factoids -- and a few quotes from baseball's newest member of the 500 club
- Don't Forget That Matt Carpenter Was David Ortiz
Most Similar 2016 Hitters
- Effectively Wild Episode 769: Rich Hill, Jerry Dipoto, and David Ortiz
Ben and Sam discuss the Rich Hill signing and more Mike Trout punctuation, then answer listener emails about Jerry Dipoto and David Ortiz and do a double Play Index.
- Should David Ortiz Play First Base In the World Series?
, and of course given David Ortiz's unprecedented combination of offensive skills and just incredible foot pain/immobility, there's a legitimate question of whether the Red Sox should play him in the field
- The Ten Biggest Playoff Plate Appearances for David Ortiz and Carlos Beltran
Sunday night, David Ortiz faced Joaquin Benoit with the bases loaded. There were two outs, and the Tigers were winning the game by four, but it was nevertheless a tense situation, with Tigers fans
- Slightly Edited News Article: The Execution of David Ortiz
- Only Slightly Belated Bat-Flip Alert: David Ortiz
In the sense that the footage here of David Ortiz dispensing of his bat in a manner the author will describe as "aggressively insouciant" both (a) originates from last night and (b) has already
- Scherzer, Ortiz, and a Bullpen Implosion: The Red Sox Rally to Take Game Two
Jim Leyland used four relievers in the eighth, and each was charged with a run. A two-out grand slam by David Ortiz, off Joaquin Benoit, tied the game. A fifth reliever, Rick Porcello, came
- Effectively Wild Episode 724: Debating David Ortiz and Buying Stock in Baseball Players
Ben and Sam discuss David Ortiz's Hall of Fame candidacy and Angels starter Andrew Heaney's decision to sell stock in himself.
- Effectively Wild Episode 75: The David Ortiz Decision and the Offseason Outlook for the Red Sox
Ben and Sam welcome Matthew Kory to the podcast to discuss the David Ortiz contract negotiations and the outlook for the Red Sox this winter.
- Sunday Notes: Cleveland's 18-hit CG, Ortiz, Murakami, more
that same question to Chase Headley and David Ortiz.
Headley told me he considers OPS important, as well as Runs Produced. He also stressed that a lot of it is era-related. In his words, “When you