- Josh Shepardson's Bold Predictions for 2015
, and I'm expecting 12-to-15 homers, 100-plus runs, 25-to-30 stolen bases and an average around .300 -- give or take five points.
4- Josh Harrison ranks out the top 20 third basemen.
- Josh Shepardson's 10 Bold Predictions
there this year with the off-season addition of Yonder Alonso. Josh Phegley earned a higher defensive grade behind the plate than Vogt last year, and Phegley also bested Vogt in per-game pitch
- 1997 Bowman Rookie Cards: World Series Edition!
When Lil' Wayne was 16 he bought his first Mercedes-Benz, and when I was 8 I bought my first baseball cards: a crisp pack of '97 Bowman. A magical summer later (and almost a magical fall, until
- Ivan Nova - An Uncommon Rule 5 Story
cite are the cases like Johan Santana, Joakim Soria and Josh Hamilton — where players went on to become valuable pieces for their new teams. But when do Rule 5 players become successes after being
- How to Use LABR Mixed Draft to Your Benefit
League, Samardzija has a career 3.85 ERA and 1.27 WHIP. Steamer is calling for a 3.92 ERA this year. Avoid this guy.
NFBC ADP – 91st (High 51, Low 119)
LABR Draft – 115th
- Combing Over the Wire: Four Deep League Options
a fraction of that level he'd have value in fantasy leagues.
The biggest concern early was a lack of playing time. Kang is a reserve, but slow starts from Josh Harrison and Jordy Mercer -- as well
- Santos' Swift Slider
- Matt Cain, Destroyer of DIPS
- Zack Greinke and Pitch Sequences
- Exploring Pitching Tendencies
- Breaking Down Stolen Base Break-Even Points
- Respect, Measured
- Anatomy of the $100 Million Contract
- Prince's Improved Approach at the Plate
- Best Rotation Ever? Best. Rotation. Ever.
- Beating the Defensive Shift
- How Good Is Matt Garza?
- Spring Training in September
- Commanding the Zone
- Do Better Pitchers Actually Have Better Command?
- Explaining the Command Disconnect
- Ace Ventura: A Shields-less Royals' Rotation
- The Padres Bullpen: Who's Your Daddy('s Relievers)?
- Checking in on Post-Hype Sleepers
- Dumpster Diving: Chris Heston's Early Season Success
- Early Season Trade Targets
- What's Jimmy Nelson Brewing?
- Buying Low Using LOB%: Buchholz, Carrasco and Strasburg
- More Love for Cameron Maybin
- Mike Foltynewicz is Pretty Good
- Three ROS Helpers: Odor, Snider and Moore
- Dealing Carlos Gomez in Keeper and Dynasty Formats
- Cardinals' Playing Time Battles: Hitters
- Giants’ Playing Time Battles: Hitters
- Starting Pitchers: Five Picks Outside the Top 50
- Cheap Power: Three Hitters Selected After Pick 265
- Stock Up: Playing Time and Lineup Spot Value Boosts
- Ticking Up: Chris Tillman
- What's Going on with Hector Santiago?
- Stock Rising: David Hernandez, A.J. Reed and Derek Dietrich
- Checking in on Youngsters: McCullers, Taillon and Joseph
- Gattis' Stock Up, Profar Call Up and Santiago Velo Up?
- How Good is Kenta Maeda?
- Three Undervalued Players: Dietrich, Lamb and Gausman
- Infield and Saves Help: Bregman and Kintzler
- Checking in on Matt Harvey and Sonny Gray
- A Fresh Start, Big Pop and a Flame-throwing Southpaw
- Should Kyle Gibson be Rostered in Deep Leagues?
- Checking in on Two Improving Hurlers: Manaea and Bundy
- Four Widely Available Young Hitters: Hedges, Zunino, Vogelbach and Gallo
- Sabathia's Strong June
- Carsten Groundball Sabathia
- A Pitch F/X Look at Cliff Lee
- John Axford: the Cardinals’ newest reclamation project
- Under the Radar: John Mayberry
- 2015 Fantasy Sleepers: Starting Pitching
- 2015 Fantasy Bust: Johnny Cueto
- 2015 Fantasy: More Starting Pitching Busts
- Jon Niese Is Changing It Up
- Fantasy: Don't Fear Jose Altuve Late in First Round
- Fantasy: Three Undervalued Catchers
- Josh Donaldson
On June 13, when Josh Donaldson was sent down, his line was an astonishing .153/.160/.235. In exactly 100 plate appearances, he had 1 walk, and that was in that final June 13 game. He had 1
- A GIF and a Poem for Josh Donaldson
they tell us (josh donaldson)
to live in the moment,
never stopping to think
living a million lives of
to twerk like nobody's watching
- Daily Graphing - Josh Beckett
Apparently the Marlins are trying to move 2003 World Series hero Josh Beckett in an attempt to cut their payroll. The two possible trades would be Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to the Rangers
- Josh Womack, Gandalf of Bats
Survey Josh Womack's professional baseball career, and you come away impressed merely to the extent that he had a professional baseball career. That's to say, Womack's bestowals on the diamond
- Josh Willingham: 2012 Sleeper
Josh Willingham had his best major league season last year with the Oakland A's. He is now a free agent this off season and has yet to find a new home. No matter where he ends up, he looks
- Josh Hamilton: King of Swings
Last night, Josh Hamilton and his teammates went up against Felix Hernandez in Seattle. Hamilton came to bat four times, seeing 13 pitches in the process. He swung at eight of them. Here
- Josh Willingham: Selective Hitter?
Josh Willingham hasn't been very good this year. He's on pace to put up his worst full-season WAR mark. I'm secretly glad about this because I've never really liked Josh Willingham as a player. (Well
- Josh Hamilton's Hitting Breakout
It looks increasingly likely that the Rangers will win the American League West division. If that happens, a big reason for their success will be Josh Hamilton and his monstrous season at the plate
- Value Pick: Josh Hamilton?
There were many caution signs thrown up by fantasy baseball prognosticators when it came to Josh Hamilton's expected 2013 output. His penchant for swinging at virtually any reachable pitch being
- Josh Reddick: Improvement to Believe In
Josh Reddick is having an outstanding first season with the A's after previously playing for Boston. The 25-year-old left handed hitter has an unexpected 25 HRs this season to go with a .253/.325
- Josh Hamilton: the Worst at the Worst
Let's all go ahead and agree right now that the worst day of Josh Hamilton's life probably had nothing to do with baseball. I'm not going to go into any detail, and you shouldn't need for me to go
- Josh Reddick Hates Fastballs
The stereotype often proves true, so you’ll have to excuse me for jumping to conclusions when assuming that Oakland Athetics’ outfielder Josh Reddick would fall into that same broad category
- Is Josh Johnson Back?
destined for an epic crash (click on the link, it's must-watch stuff). Owning Josh Johnson on a couple squads, I've felt a little of both.
Coming off of a serious shoulder injury in 2011, Johnson,28, had
- The Simplicity of Josh Reddick's Improvement
Not every breakout comes with a complicated story. Sometimes it's super simple. Sometimes, as Josh Reddick put it, a player just comes to "a recognition." For Reddick, it was recognition born of who
- Josh Beckett and DIPS Theory
Last year, Josh Beckett posted a 5.78 ERA in 21 starts, and his struggles were one of the main reasons the Red Sox missed the playoffs. This year, Josh Beckett has a 1.86 ERA in 14 starts, and his
- Josh Hamilton or Madison Bumgarner?
successes have been numerous and remarkable. In honor of Bumgarner's hitting, then, I've put together this poll-post, comparing Bumgarner and Josh Hamilton. Hamilton has obviously been
- Injuries Hamper Josh Hamilton
In 2008, OF Josh Hamilton finally turned in the kind of season that scouts envisioned when Tampa Bay selected him with the 1st overall pick in the 1999 amateur draft.
Shipped from the Reds
- Adjusting to Josh Hamilton
The easy thing is talking about what Josh Hamilton has done. For his career, he's hit .304, with 161 dingers. Last year, his WAR was 4.4, and before that it was 4.1, and before that he won
- Pitcher Study: Josh Johnson
Is Josh Johnson still an ace?
The 2012 season had some encouraging signs after shoulder injuries cut short potential Cy Young campaigns in 2010 and 2011. Johnson posted a 3.81 ERA and 3.40 FIP
- Josh Hamilton's Resurgent Hitting
On Sunday, Josh Hamilton carried the Texas Rangers' offense. Going 5-for-6 while knocking in the tying run in the ninth inning and the go-ahead tally in the tenth, Hamilton had the biggest impact
- Learning to Appreciate Josh Tomlin
Throughout the first two months of the season, no player personified "regression candidate" more than Josh Tomlin. His ERA looked great, but nearly every peripheral suggested Tomlin was going to fall
- Introducing Josh Reddick
Meet the Red Sox’s insurance policy on Jason Bay and J.D. Drew. His name is Josh Reddick and he’s a 22-year-old outfielder who made his majors debut last Friday. The most noticeable thing when
- Recent Promotions: Josh Bell
will be clear for top prospect Josh Bell to get regular playing time for the O's.
Bell was up with Baltimore earlier this month (a clean .200/.200/.200 batting line in 15 PA) before going back down
- Josh Donaldson vs. the Elite
featured one of the game’s finest pitchers in Masahiro Tanaka, I had a thought during Josh Donaldson’s final at-bat against the Japanese hurler. After he struck out to finish 0-3 against Tanaka, my mind
- The Reality of Josh Donaldson
In last night's Athletics-Rangers extra-inning affair, Oakland third baseman Josh Donaldson went 4-for-5 with two doubles. Oakland lost, but it was not Donaldson's fault that no one was on base when
- JABO: The Emerging Josh Reddick
sluggers like Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion, and Josh Donaldson; the Blue Jays have some serious thump in the middle of their order.
But you might be surprised to see that the Oakland
- Is Josh Harrison's Approach a Concern?
Pirates infielder Josh Harrison has come a long way this season. At 26 years old, Harrison has emerged as one of the club's key contributors. He'll be relied as such when the team enters
- Buying Low on Josh Johnson
It may surprise some, considering this high ERA and low strikeout rate compared to his career average, but Josh Johnson actually has the seventh highest WAR of any pitcher in baseball. Despite having
- Josh Donaldson On Settling In
"Nothing has ever come easy for me, especially the first time around," -- Oakland third baseman Josh Donaldson
Josh Donaldson played baseball for two high schools. Add to that college, two minor
- The Josh Donaldson MVP Argument
AL MVP should or could be Josh Donaldson.
I want to make two things clear right here:
(1) I'm not sure how much I believe this argument. I think it's just an argument one could make
- Josh Donaldson on Hitting
. And so, if you talk to Josh Donaldson about hitting, he won't have a ton to say about his hands. But his shoulders? His torso? He'll have plenty to say about those things.
And so, even if I asked
- Josh Johnson's Extension
The Marlins locked up their most talented pitcher on Thursday, as they agreed to terms with 26-year-old SP Josh Johnson on a four-year, 39 million dollar contract. The deal will pay 3.75MM in '10
- The Return of Josh Beckett
If the Boston Red Sox are going to contend for the World Series, much of their success is contingent on Josh Beckett's return to form. After succumbing to a back injury last season, Beckett entered
- Josh Beckett's New Approach
Josh Beckett hasn't looked the same this season. After an off-season as public enemy No. 1 to Red Sox fans, Beckett could have benefited from a strong start this year. Unfortunately for the 31-year
- Josh Willingham a Willing Twin
Whether he's a Willing Ham, a Compliant Pig, or just The Pork, outfielder Josh Willingham will be making his bacon in the Twins outfield for the the foreseeable future.*
Jeff Zimmerman has already
- Projecting Josh Reddick
with projecting Josh Reddick in 2012 is that he only has 403 Major League plate appearances under his belt. And those are spread over three major league seasons. They aren't super useful in projecting his
- Josh Johnson Heads to Canada
So as you all no doubt know by now, Josh Johnson was part of the trade of fantasy baseball proportions that is expected to be finalized at some point today. It's time for JJ to start trading in his
- The Return of Josh Johnson
Josh Johnson returned to the mound last night for the first time since April 21. The oft-injured 29-year-old (it still surprises me that he’s just 29) impressed against the Giants, throwing seven
- Fantasy LVP Josh Hamilton
There were definitely warning signs. Despite coming off the second-best offensive season of his career, Josh Hamilton was a bit of a fantasy lightening rod last offseason. There was plenty
- Josh Hamilton's Crazy Week
Josh Hamilton just had himself quite a week. The Rangers’ slugger clubbed nine homers in one week, including four in one game. He hit .467/.529/1.433, for a ridiculous 1.963 OPS, and piled up 1.5 WAR
- Josh Reddick On Sticking With It
We've heard different approaches from different players, and different levels of familiarity with the statistics so far this year, but it looks like Oakland's Josh Reddick might be in a niche of his
- Josh Willingham: Honoring the Hammer
as polio, syphilis and bubonic plague. Attacking one but infecting all, though some more than others. And no other major leaguer over the past decade, among hitters, lost as frequently as Josh
- Josh Johnson's Curveball
We're happy to welcome Albert Lyu back to the FanGraphs team. His work will again appear regularly here on the site.
Before Josh Johnson was lost for the season with shoulder injuries in May, he
- Josh Donaldson: Worthwhile Sleeper?
and as I was looking over some of the rosters, Josh Donaldson's name stuck out to me. He went for $4 to Rotowire's Derek Van Riper who went with a "stars and scrubs" approach, but considering some
- Projecting Josh Rutledge
Josh Rutledge has been filling in at shortstop for the injured Troy Tulowitzki and has done quite an admirable job, having posted an impressive .445 wOBA over 84 plate appearances. Unfortunately, we
- Josh Hamilton: 32 Is The Number
For a 31-year-old outfielder, we have surprisingly little information about Josh Hamilton. 3000 or so plate appearances, three full seasons, and he's already on the long side of thirty. We all know
- Q&A: Josh Tomlin
Low strikeout and ground-ball rates -- not to mention a propensity to give up the long ball -- spells disaster for most pitchers. But Josh Tomlin isn‘t most pitchers. The Indians' right-hander
- Who Is Josh Rutledge?
Earlier this week, the Rockies sent Josh Rutledge to Colorado Springs. To be certain, Rutledge was not playing well, and there is a decent chance that Rutledge really isn’t that good in general
- The Josh Johnson Dilemma
Earlier this year, Jack Moore reviewed Josh Johnson's inability to get hitters out while pitching from the stretch. Johnson and the Jays were very much aware of the situation, but even still, it did
- Josh Reddick: Mr. Replacement
According to Zach Sanders' analysis, Josh Reddick was the fantasy replacement level outfielder of 2013. He was worth 41 cents. Dayan Viciedo was technically closer to zero with a negative 37 cent
- Josh Rutledge Acolytes
Josh Rutledge was a compelling sleeper entering 2013 after his 23-year old rookie season in which he put up a 93 wRC+ with a flash of both power and speed as a middle infielder. Unfortunately
- Promotion: Josh Bell
- Slideshow: Future Josh Reddick in the Future
Josh Reddick, who hit his first home run of the season just minutes ago (box), has drawn some attention this spring for his rather convincing impression of a feral human man -- in particular
- Reclaiming Bacon Thanks to Josh Reddick
Your browser does not support iframes.
No, we're not eating reclaimed bacon here, that would be gross. We're reclaiming bacon for Oakland. Like Josh Reddick, bacon is now the property of this city
- Josh Collmenter: A Picture of Manly Virtue
That beautiful mustachioed gentleman you see there is Mr. Josh Collmenter, circa July 2008. If Mr. Collmenter's name sounds familiar, it's either because (a) you read about his unique pitching
- Nothing Fishy About Josh Johnson
Heading into the 2007 season, Florida's Josh Johnson looked like an ace-in-waiting.
As a 22 year-old rookie in 2006, the 6-7 righty posted a 3.99 FIP in 24 starts and seven relief appearances
- Josh Hamilton Is Swinging Himself Into Oblivion
Josh Hamilton is the most aggressive hack in baseball. This isn't news, of course, but to put his hacktastic ways in context, here is where Hamilton's swing rates rank among batters with 500+ PAs
- Josh Hamilton Whiffing: an Investigation of Concerns
Yesterday, in a surprising yet also entirely unsurprising maneuver, the Angels came out of left field (baseball term) to sign free-agent Josh Hamilton to a five-year contract, worth $125 million
- Josh Hamilton's Weakness On Full Display
I don't mean to beat a dead horse. I know I just wrote about Josh Hamilton's approach at the plate on Tuesday. We're not breaking any new ground here, but last night was such a striking example
- Josh Donaldson's Other Amazing Skill
Josh Donaldson is a remarkable player. You probably already knew that, given that he's the reigning AL MVP. But when you think of Josh Donaldson, you probably think of him crushing a baseball
- Josh Hamilton's Return to a New Place
are images of the good times. In large part these are the principles driving the Angels' sale of Josh Hamilton to the Rangers, and perhaps here more than anywhere else, it's evident that the same thing
- Josh Byrnes, A.J. Hinch Fired
When the Diamondbacks extended Josh Byrnes’ contract in February of 2008 through 2015 and included a small stake of team ownership, they probably didn’t envision firing him just two and a half years
- JABO: Josh Donaldson's MVP Push
and Josh Donaldson. While Trout went 3-10 during the series (all three hits coming in the series finale), Donaldson showed why he is beginning to be viewed as a possible contender for the league’s MVP
- The (Recently) Unprecedented Treatment of Josh Hamilton
I'm going to be honest with you: I find it surprisingly easy to forget about Josh Hamilton. You think about the Angels team and you think about Mike Trout; you keep thinking about the Angels and you
- Josh Harrison Breakout: Real or Fantasy
Josh Harrison was not on anyone's radar going into last season, yet alone ending up as a top 10 third baseman. The right-hander is now known after hitting .315 with 13 home runs and 18 stolen bases
- Josh Johnson Finding Success in June
The month of June has been very kind to Josh Johnson. In 14.2 innings, the big right-hander owns a 1.84 ERA with impressive peripheral numbers to match: 16 strikeouts, just four walks, and no home
- Can Josh Johnson Fix The Stretch?
There have been plenty of good signs in Josh Johnson's return from a season-ending shoulder injury this year. His 2.98 FIP is excellent; he's striking out nearly eight batters per nine innings
- Josh Hamilton Should Not Be Hitting Third
"I’m about 50 percent, but I’m going to give you 100 percent of my 50 percent." - Josh Hamilton, last week.
Josh Hamilton is hurt. He admitted as much, and watching him during the postseason
- Josh Johnson's Creative Contract With the Padres
The news is breaking now. It seems that Josh Johnson has gotten $8 million dollars from the Padres to pitch in 2014, according to Jerry Crasnick. By itself, that is an interesting match -- Johnson
- The Thing About Josh Donaldson's Defense
As you by now are well aware, Josh Donaldson was traded to the Toronto Blue Jays over the weekend in a blockbuster deal that sent Brett Lawrie back to Oakland. The Blue Jays gave up Lawrie and a few
- Jeff Bailey: The New Josh Phelps?
Remember Josh Phelps? In 2002, he came up as a catcher-turned-first-baseman with the Blue Jays and absolutely smashed the ball (.396 wOBA) for 287 plate appearances. His 2003 was decent, if not mind
- Josh Donaldson and Batting Average Regression
To say Josh Donaldson's 2013 season was a surprise would be a huge under-statement. He put up a MVP caliber season at a premium position. The exact cause for his turnaround is not exactly known
- The Man Right in Front of Josh Hamilton
, except for Josh Hamilton. fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p…
— David Cameron (@DCameronFG) April 25, 2013
All right, neat. Now keep that in mind as we go forward.
We don't talk a whole lot about
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Josh Johnson
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: Josh Johnson.
- Is Josh Reddick Really a Fourth Outfielder?
When the Athletics sent Andrew Bailey and Ryan Sweeney to the Red Sox for Josh Reddick and prospects, many scratched their heads in digital print. Why would the Athletics send their closer out
- Josh Harrison Eats His Wheaties
He's 27 and been a role player for the Chicago Cubs minor league system and more recently the Pittsburgh Pirates over the course of a seven year career. Drafted in the sixth round, Josh Harrison
- Josh Johnson Earning His Contract
Justin Morneau has the highest WAR in baseball right now, but you probably knew that. Know who is second?
Josh Johnson. With another dominating start last night, the Marlins ace has now thrown
- Josh Hamilton's Secret Injury History
It's likely that readers of FanGraphs willn't be surprised to learn that Ranger outfielder and 2010 AL MVP Josh Hamilton will be out injured for the next six-to-eight weeks. As SB Nation's Jon
- Is Josh Hamilton a First-Round Pick?
Of the players likely to go in the first few picks, perhaps the hardest to forecast is Josh Hamilton. Over at Mock Draft Central, Hamilton has been picked as high as second and as low as 18, which
- A History of Josh Donaldson in Foul Territory
If a person came up to you and made the claim that Josh Donaldson was the best player in baseball, you would actually have to refute his or her case with legitimate evidence. If someone said Rajai
- Did Josh Byrnes Deserve to Be Fired?
of the best front offices in baseball."
Another GM on the D-Backs' change at GM: "Absolutely crazy."
That, essentially, was my reaction, as well, to the news that the Diamondbacks have fired Josh Byrnes
- Josh Beckett Is A Big Winner In L.A.
Josh Beckett has hardly lived up to expectations this season. While it had become apparent that he had drawn the ire of Boston fans, Beckett was beginning to have the same effect on his fantasy
- What to Do About Josh Willingham
Always an underrated power source, Josh Willingham has become more and more Adam Dunn like this season than the Willingham we are used to seeing. In the past, Willingham has been a tremendously
- Josh Willingham Stands to Improve in 2014
Writer’s Note: Willingham ranked 89th on Zach Sanders’ outfield rankings.
It couldn’t be more blatantly obvious that Josh Willingham had a down season. Not only were his offensive numbers down
- Should Anyone Trade For Josh Beckett?
Pretty much every player in the Majors goes on waivers at some point in August, so the fact that Josh Beckett was placed on waivers isn't really news. However, unlike most players in baseball
- Lance Berkman: A Cheaper Josh Hamilton?
After watching Josh Hamilton sign with their division rival, the Rangers made a move this weekend to replace his bat in their line-up, signing Lance Berkman to take over as their DH for 2013. Much
- Josh Hamilton, the Angels, and Guaranteed Contracts
After an arbitrator ruled ten days ago that Josh Hamilton had not violated his drug treatment program following an alleged drug relapse, it looked like the Angels would be forced to pay him the rest
- The Josh Willingham Trade: Oakland's Side
outfielder Josh Willingham from the Washington Nationals for a pair of prospects: outfielder Corey Brown and right-handed reliever Henry Rodriguez.
Willingham, 32 in February, is expected
- Josh Tomlin Versus Hitter "X"
Josh Tomlin’s K/9 has risen from 4.84 to 7.01 this season, but that doesn’t mean the Cleveland Indians right-hander is suddenly capable of overpowering hitters. He still needs to out-think them
- Review: Josh Wilker's Cardboard Gods
Josh Wilker’s Cardboard Gods is the autobiography of a misfit told with the aid of his childhood baseball card collection. It is also a terrific book that you should rush out and buy immediately
- Giving Josh Rutledge Another Chance
Josh Rutledge is back up with the Colorado Rockies, and with the injury to third baseman Nolan Arenado, this will be more than the “occasional pinch hitter” stint he had in the early parts
- Taking Another Look at Josh Reddick
Josh Reddick has had an interesting career. Playing top tier right field defense along with having decent power has allowed him to be a two win player in each of the past four years despite only
- Q&A: Josh Outman, a Biomechanical Quandary
Josh Outman was back last year after missing the 2010 season due to an arm injury that required Tommy John surgery. That alone doesn’t make him unique -- plenty of hurlers undergo the procedure
- Is Josh Hamilton's Plate Discipline Improving?
After brutal June and July performances, Josh Hamilton has performed well in the first few weeks of August, hitting .320/.382/.580 in 55 trips to the plate. According to both Hamilton and his
- Josh Willingham: Right on Target in Minnesota
for the first time since Target Field opened. He didn’t replace Cuddyer defensively, but Josh Willingham was brought in to replace him in the order at a fraction of the price, which he did
- Josh Donaldson: Changes in Approach and Mechanics
- someone who has evolved into one of the best overall position players in the game.
Let’s dive into Josh Donaldson’s trends in the offensive arena, and attempt to find meaning in those trends
- Twitter Predicts The Free Agent Signings: Josh Hamilton
As much as I loved Torii Hunter I would love for the Angels to go after Josh Hamilton— Billy McCall (@billymac_boi) November 4, 2012
Josh Hamilton to the Red Sox?— Aaron Matthews
- Photo: Rookie Josh Spence Employs "The Force"
A wise Jedi Master once said:
When you fall, apprentice, catch you I will.
I'm rooting for Josh Spence. You should be, too.
Nerd up: NotGraphs reader Buddy O. Indebted, we are.
- If There Were a Magical-Realist Novel About Josh Satin
If there were a magical-realist novel about Josh Satin, it would begin with a description of Josh Satin, rounding the bases like normal after having hit a home run against Brewers reliever Jim
- The Probably Top Indication Josh Johnson Is Classical Scholar
The top indication that major-league right-hander Josh Johnson is a classical scholar used to be the paper he wrote on the theme of sal (or "wit") in the work of the Neoteric poets and which
- Notable Reviews of Josh Hamilton's Home Runs
Your browser does not support iframes.
Tuesday night, Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton became just the 16th player in major-league history to hit four home runs in a single game (box
- Josh Hamilton Strikezone Constellation: The Ugly Fedora
On the one hand, Josh Hamilton's enthusiasm for swinging -- documented in some depth recently by FanGraphs managing editor Dave Cameron -- has very likely hurt his ability to produce at a high
- Weekend Bat-Flip Coverage: Josh Donaldson on a Popup
coverage from last night. Behold Josh Donaldson, on a popup.
This bat-flip might have been Donaldson's saving grace, however, since its majesty certainly distracted the Royals infield enough
- Josh Hamilton Strikezone Constellation: The Crooked Drone
On the one hand, Josh Hamilton's enthusiasm for swinging -- documented in some depth recently by FanGraphs managing editor Dave Cameron -- has very likely hurt his ability to produce at a high
- Josh Hamilton Strikezone Constellation: The Child Ninja
No one with anything resembling "sense" is pretending that Josh Hamilton's 2013 season -- his first with the Los Angeles Angels after signing rather a large contract with that club
- Josh Hamilton Strikezone Constellation: The Prime Rib
On the one hand, Josh Hamilton's enthusiasm for swinging -- documented in some depth by FanGraphs managing editor Dave Cameron earlier this season -- has very likely hurt his ability to produce
- Josh Beckett's Missing Fastball Is the Real Story
Josh Beckett laid an egg last night, giving up seven runs while facing only 16 batters last night, and he got booed so loudly that the word lustily doesn't even seem to do it justice. The boos were
- Line Drive Oddities: David Freese and Josh Donaldson
last is the leading All-Star vote getter at the hot corner in Josh Donaldson, who has a 6% line drive rate over the last month. Six percent. If that didn't surprise enough, at the top of this list
- Josh Hamilton Needs to Start Making Adjustments
A month ago, I wrote a piece highlighting the contrast between Josh Hamilton's results (amazing!) and Josh Hamilton's approach at the plate (awful!). At that time, Hamilton was succeeding
- Josh Reddick Takes Home Runs Over Average
Josh Reddick broke out in 2012 and came in as our 28th ranked outfielder for the season. Not much was expected from him after he was traded to Oakland with their spacious home field. Instead, he
- Opportunity May Knock for Cubs' Josh Vitters
Since being drafted third overall in the 2007 draft, few prospects have developed in more disappointing fashion than Chicago Cubs third base prospect Josh Vitters. Once considered an elite player
- Josh Hamilton Strikezone Constellation: The Mangled Digit
begun earlier in the year in which mildly amusing* constellations are constructed from certain of Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton's single-game swing charts.
*But no more than that.
- Josh Hamilton and Texas Avoid Arbitration with Deal
About three weeks after the exchange of arbitration figures where Josh Hamilton requested $12 million and the Rangers countered with $8.7 million, the two sides have reached a contract agreement
- Someone Is Nutty Enough To Claim Josh Beckett
Source: An unidentified team has claimed Josh Beckett on trade waivers. One MLB exec believes it may be Dodgers, but unconfirmed for now.— Sean McAdam(@Sean_McAdam) August 24, 2012
- Josh Hamilton Avoids Suspension for Alleged Drug Relapse
When reports emerged in February alleging that Josh Hamilton had suffered a drug relapse, it appeared likely that he would be subject to a suspension under Major League Baseball's Joint Drug
- Josh Hamilton Signs With Angels Out of Nowhere
Let's begin with the news: Josh Hamilton is a free agent no longer. As of Thursday, he's agreed to a five-year contract with the Angels reportedly worth $125 million. That breaks down easily to come
- Josh Hamilton: Most Confusing Free Agent Ever?
On Friday, the Rangers season ended, as the team fell to the Baltimore Orioles in the AL Wild Card play-in game. Josh Hamilton, in what will quite possibly be his final at-bat as a Texas Ranger
- Josh Reddick Has Been the Anti-Willie Bloomquist
probably didn't know before today that Bloomquist was objectively clutch. And you probably didn't know before right now that Josh Reddick has been objective unclutch. By a lot, I mean. The numbers
- Kevin Hart Still Beats Josh Fogg
Kevin Hart represents one-third of the return on Josh Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny (the other two-thirds being Josh Harrison and Jose Ascanio). He’s a study, six-foot-four, 220-something pound righty
- Josh Beckett Amps Up Against the Yanks
After a middling first start, the media was ready to jump on Josh Beckett. The results weren't bad, exactly, but he didn't quite look like the pre-2010 Beckett. In their podcast the following day
- The Rockies Want Josh Fogg, And It Makes Sense
The team wants to add one more capable starting pitcher, major-league sources say — someone who could throw 150 to 175 innings and produce a ERA in the 4.50-4.75 range. Someone like right-hander Josh
- Projecting Pirates Call-Up Josh Bell
Almost right after after treating us to Tyler Glasnow day, the Pirates are giving us another promising debutante to fuss over. First base prospect Josh Bell will debut for Pittsburgh in tonight's
- Josh Tomlin and Phil Humber: Ownership Quandries
more evenly matched in the skill set department. Two such pitchers, Josh Tomlin and Phil Humber, caught my eye this week.
If Humber searched for himself on any of the various fantasy sites
- Josh Hamilton Bombs His Way Into History
Josh Hamilton wrote his name into the history books in Baltimore tonight, becoming just the 14th player in Major League history to hit four home runs in a single game, launching
- Where Josh Harrison Goes from Here
players usually just walk to the mound and keep it simple when called upon, the risk of injury prevents clubs from letting truly valuable players fall on the sword which is why the Pirates let Josh
- Pirates sign Josh Harrison, Achieve Contentment
When discussing contract extensions like the four-year $27 million deal with two team options the Pirates signed with Josh Harrison, especially for those players three years or more away from free
- Josh Donaldson Has Gone Full Edwin Encarnacion
Nothing about Josh Donaldson being great is surprising anymore. There was the late-career breakout in 2012, and then confirmation that the breakout was real in 2013-14. And then, of course, he won
- Josh Hancock: Very Famous in France, Apparently
-- the Platonic Ideal of All Pitchers, if only momentartily. In short, you are met with an image of
That must be confusing.
As a service to the readership, I took 30
- Josh Hamilton Can't See the Big Picture
Com'on Josh Hamilton. Too much caffeine from energy drinks caused your blurry vision that kept you out of 5 games last week. While you were gone, your team went 3-2 and let Oakland stay within reach
- Can Josh Fields Power His Way To Relevance?
Josh Fields was a two-sport star at Oklahoma State, as he was the starting quarterback for the Cowboys and helped lead them to two wins over Oklahoma during his tenure. Fields made the decision
- Should Josh Hamilton Get the Barry Bonds Treatment?
Josh Hamilton had an awesome 2010 at the plate, hitting .359/.411/.633 for a .447 wOBA, and he put on quite a show in the ALCS, too. This has prompted the suggestion that the Giants should give
- Josh Hamilton and the (Slow) Demise of the "Stretch Drive"?
be excited about him joining our team.
At first blush, it seems there's nothing particularly notable about Josh Hamilton's winning the American League MVP last week. He's a popular ballplayer
- De-Lucker! or Josh Hamilton is Under-Performing
well and who is not.
And Josh Hamilton, you will see, is in both categories.
Combining Fielding Independent wOBA (FI wOBA for shortsies) and slash12's xBABIP, we can get a specific
- Q&A: Josh Outman on the MLB Strike Zone
According to PITCH/fx, umpires weren’t giving Josh Outman the benefit of a doubt in 2011. If their called-strike data is accurate, only 65.3% of pitches the lefthander threw in the strike zone went
- Toronto Keeps Upgrading, Adds Josh Donaldson
injury-ravaged and underwhelming seasons later, Lawrie and three prospects are gone and Josh Donaldson is the new starting third baseman in Toronto as the Blue Jays try to accomplish one goal: reach
- JABO: The Rarity of Josh Donaldson's Late Ascension
, each voter ranks players from one to ten, and this year in the AL, every ballot except for one had either Mike Trout or Josh Donaldson in first or second place.
Given that there were only two serious
- Jordan Lyles & Josh Satin: Deep League Wire
ratios and sometimes that's all you're looking for when your free agent pool is barren.
Josh Satin | NYM 1B | 1% Owned
It finally happened. After weeks of speculation, the Mets decided they had
- The Daily Grind: Josh Smith, Nova, Peralta
Tonight, I'm inclined to use one of the ultra-expensive studs.
2. Daily DFS - Smith
I used to work with a Josh Smith. The guy throwing for the Reds tonight is most decidedly not that Josh Smith. He's
- A's/Jays Swap Josh Donaldson and Brett Lawrie
among those going to #Athletics.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 29, 2014
This is kind of a fascinating challenge trade. Josh Donaldson and Brett Lawrie are both third baseman by trade
- Josh Hamilton Out - Enter David Murphy
Earlier today, we learned that Josh Hamilton would miss six-to-eight weeks with a non-displaced fracture of his humorous bone. Check that, humerus - it's not very funny for Rangers fans and Hamilton
- Josh Collmenter and Simon Castro: NL Starting Pitchers
In today's look at NL Starting Pitchers, we focus on two youngsters in the NL West, including one starter who's having problems in the minors.
Josh Collmenter | Arizona Diamondbacks
- Fantasy Baseball Existentialism: Josh Donaldson Walks it Off
two books by Camus so I don't really know much about existentialism yet either.
So today we're going to talk about Josh Donaldson. If you didn't draft him in fantasy, you probably made a mistake
- Expanded Four Factors: Josh Hamilton's BABIP
That player would be Josh Hamilton of the Texas Rangers. Hamilton is putting together an utterly ridiculous .357/.405/.622 line this season, good for a .440 wOBA. After posting a meager
- JABO: Josh Donaldson's Rogers Centre(d) Approach
of seasons they did, Josh Donaldson has nonetheless been one of the best players in baseball since the start of 2013. This year, we’re witnessing an interesting development: a plate approach adjustment to take
- Traded: Mark Teahen for Chris Getz, Josh Fields
The Chicago White Sox organization has traded rookie second baseman Chris Getz and disappointing third baseman Josh Fields, a former first round draft pick, to the Kansas City Royals for infielder
- Josh Reddick and Alex Gonzalez: Waiver Wire Help
, there are certainly a few names that have slipped through the cracks. Here are two guys you might want to consider depending on the holes in your roster.
Josh Reddick, OAK |OF| Ownership: ESPN - 5.2% Yahoo
- Cubs Call Up Josh Vitters and Brett Jackson
The future is now for the Chicago Cubs. With very little to play for this season, the Cubs have called up prospects Josh Vitters and Brett Jackson. Entering the season, Marc Hulet ranked Jackson
- Josh Reddick's Second Half Bounce Back
Admittedly we'll be looking at arbitrary endpoints, specifically first half vs second half splits. I'm generally not one to split up a season like this, however with Josh Reddick, looking at his pre
- Scott Kazmir Strikes Out Josh Hamilton
are extraordinary scouts, but following, we may observe Scott Kazmir striking out Josh Hamilton swinging.
Kazmir throws a fastball with a speed. It's more or less right on the mark, and it's taken
- Josh Fields and the Value of Faith and Positive Thinking
Over the last calendar year, Houston righty Josh Fields has been a top-30 reliever. That may not be the type of lede that grabs you by your collar and shakes a click out of you, but the "how" might
- Some Belated Thoughts On The Josh Donaldson Deal
of Josh Donaldson from Oakland to Toronto in exchange for a significant package headed by Brett Lawrie and hotshot shortstop prospect Franklin Barreto is not only large in scope, it is complex both
- Josh Tomlin, Right Arm Rejuvenated, Returns to Cleveland
Josh Tomlin will be on the mound tonight for the Indians. It will be the 29-year-old right-hander's first start in a Cleveland uniform since he underwent Tommy John surgery late in the 2012 season
- Mailbag: Josh Hamilton vs Carlos Beltran
[Carlos] Beltran until the recent surgery (we don't have to announce our eight keepers until early March). But Josh Hamilton is also an option for me. So my question is - is it worth taking a shot
- Josh Bell and Steve Lombardozzi: Waiver Wire
wire just waiting to be claimed.
Josh Bell, ARI |3B| Ownership: ESPN - 0.5% Yahoo - 1.0%
Right on the heels of my last Kicking Rocks piece which clamored for Bell's call-up, the Diamondbacks
- Casper Wells and Josh Rutledge: Waiver Wire
the opportunity to blossom and show what he can do.
Josh Rutledge, COL |SS| Ownership: ESPN - 13.4% Yahoo - 8.0%
With so much still up in the air regarding Troy Tulowitzki's return, Rutledge
- Josh "Baby Giambi" Rutledge Seizing Opportunity
In my main league, I picked up rookie Colorado infielder Josh Rutledge about six weeks ago off the waiver wire. This is hardly because I had any sort of prescient idea that Rutledge would suddenly
- How Josh Donaldson Outperformed His Projections, Exactly
The narrative concerning Josh Donaldson has been established for the moment. He was a piece in the deal that sent Rich Harden from Oakland to Chicago in July of 2008. He was converted to third base
- Q&A: Josh Bell, Pirates Outfield Prospect
Two years ago, Josh Bell did the unexpected. He signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Bucs boldly drafted Bell in the second round, despite his proclamation — through a letter to all 30 teams
- Franklin Barreto: The Key to the Josh Donaldson Trade
I'll try to complete the FanGraphs analysis of the Josh Donaldson deal, with Dave covering the A's perspective of the deal and Drew Fairservice covering it from the Jays perspective while I'll jump
- Josh Hamilton and MLB's Joint Drug Agreement
Wednesday's news that Josh Hamilton could be facing an imminent suspension from Major League Baseball has set off a wave of speculation regarding not only the possible cause of the suspension
- Josh Donaldson Just Keeps Getting Better
The Josh Donaldson story is pretty amazing. The 48th pick in the 2007 draft, he was then traded a year later as one of four players going to Oakland for Rich Harden, as the Cubs were partially
- Relative Waiver Wire: Josh Rutledge, Robbie Ray
to be excited, any time soon, but somewhere, somehow, it probably plays.
2B/3B/SS Josh Rutledge, Colorado Rockies
Ownership: CBS 11% | Yahoo! 3% | ESPN 0.5%
Pretty simple: The Rockies didn’t see
- A Josh Johnson Slider You Can Just Keep Watching
All things considered -- or just, like, one thing considered -- Marlins right-hander Josh Johnson had rather a poor game Saturday night (box). He pitched only three innings, for example, but conceded
- What Can We Really Say About Josh Hamilton?
Last night, Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News reported that Josh Hamilton was spotted drinking at a local area bar on Monday evening. According to the report, Ian Kinsler appeared at some
- Aging Free Swingers (Josh Hamilton vs. Mark Trumbo)
Last year, Mark Trumbo was worth just short of a buck by our end-of-season values. Josh Hamilton cost his owners three cents. They are both free-swingers coming off bad seasons. That is the premise
- Why the Toronto Blue Jays Need to Extend Josh Johnson
In the Marlins deal last November, Josh Johnson was the main headlining piece along with Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle. Then the Blue Jays added R.A. Dickey in December and the starting rotation looked
- What Can We Learn from The Josh Hamilton Contract?
Two years ago, the Los Angeles Angels signed Josh Hamilton to a whopping, surprising five-year contract that paid the mercurial outfielder $125 million dollars. The deal came one year after the Halos
- Josh Reddick's Beard Caught Up in WWE's Top Feud
Back in March, WWE superstar Daniel Bryan laid down a challenge to Josh Reddick of the Oakland Athletics.
I hereby challenge @JoshReddick16 to a beard-off til years end. Fans vote, loser shaves
- James McDonald, Kyle McClellan, Josh Johnson: NL Starting Pitchers
Josh Johnson, Marlins
When Johnson was put on the DL with shoulder problems, it sounded like the Marlins were just being cautious. Now, Johnson isn’t going to be back when he’s eligible
- Position Battles: White Sox 3B, Pt. 1: Josh Fields
the White Sox plucked Josh Fields with the 18th overall selection in the '04 amateur draft, he was expected to be the heir apparent to Joe Crede. The Oklahoma State product didn't overwhelm anyone
- Deep League Waiver Wire: Josh Hamilton Replacement Edition
Surprise, surprise, Josh Hamilton is hurt again. Yesterday, Eno Sarris outlined what the Rangers are likely to do in terms of divvying up playing time in Hamilton's absence. David Murphy
- Josh Outman and Nolan Reimold: Deep League Waiver Wire
. And the others in need of pitching help, I am here for you as well.
Josh Outman, OAK, SP | 6% Owned
Seriously, with that name, he was born to be a Major League pitcher. Just don't round out
- Three to Hold: Michael Cuddyer, Josh Willingham, Jake Peavy
stolen bases, and I would rather hold onto his production and potentially sell later once his performance stabilizes and his value is increased.
Five home runs and a .328 average
- I Like Turtles: Jason Kubel (NL) and Josh Willingham (AL)
, it was ‘out with the old, in with the older’ as I more or less doubled down on a departed Twin -- Jason Kubel -- and an incoming one -- Josh Willingham -- as late draft power sleepers.
- Rex Brothers, Charlie Furbush, Josh Reddick: Mining the Minors
Josh Reddick, OF
Organization: Red Sox
Current Level: Triple-A
Statistics: .296 BA, 8 HRs, 16 RBIs, 13:11 K:BB over 81 ABs
40-man roster: Yes
Opportunity Rating: 6
- Deep Mixed Waiver Wire: Michael Saunders, Josh Tomlin
, a 15-teamer, this past weekend came up a couple of bucks short. Disappointing. He can suffice in 12-team mixed leagues, but in them it won’t be long before he becomes tempting to cut.
- Nick Ciuffo and Josh Almonte: Raw Promise in the Appy League
defensively that Ciuffo may end up well worth playing as an everyday catcher or at least the long side of a backstop platoon.
Josh Almonte, OF, Bluefield Blue Jays (Blue Jays Rookie-Advanced