- Is This The Real Justin Verlander?
The All Star Game took place on Tuesday, and for the first time since 2008, Justin Verlander was not there for the festivities. Looking at his recent performance, it seems like very, very long ago
- Revisiting Justin Masterson
A couple months ago, I told you it was too early to worry about Justin Masterson. Well, we are more than half-way through June now and if I wasn't worried before, I am now.
- Prospect Watch: McMahon, Rondon, and Garcia
***Jarlin Garcia, LHP, Miami Marlins (Profile)
Level: Low-A Age: 21 Top-15: N/A Top-100: N/A
Line: 15 IP, 13 H, 6 R, 17/4 K/BB, 2.40 ERA, 2.60 FIP
It's hard not to like a lefty who
- Avisail Garcia & Dee Gordon: Waiver Wire
of the rest. Figure the regular waiver articles are geared more towards leagues with 14 teams or fewer. So with that, here's who I think is worth grabbing and holding onto for the year.
Avisail Garcia, CHW
- A Hall of Fame Moment, Parsed and in Context
- Keeper League Player Depth
- Mariners Challenge Justin Smoak with Justin Smoak 2.0
appearances and then still became good hitters who had solid careers.
Interestingly, though, this entire story almost perfectly describes incumbent first baseman Justin Smoak. They acquired him
- The Rockies’ One Through Eight: the Small Successes and Failures of Lineup Construction
about the Rockies. It’s likely both. Indeed, after the Rockies traded Dexter Fowler and signed Justin Morneau last week, there’s no use rehashing alternatives and possible failures. The task now
- Justin Upton and the Allure of Upside
Justin Upton finished the season as the 21st most valuable outfielder according to our valuations. But I can almost guarantee that he'll be drafted higher than 21st among outfielders next year
- Confounding: Are the Rockies Rebuilding?
at some of the possible moves that are garnering notice. Beat writer Troy Renck reports that the Rockies are eying first baseman Justin Morneau to replace the retired Todd Helton. Of all of the speculative
- Turning to Freddy Garcia With the Season on the Line
Clayton Kershaw again, so, yeah, this isn't a great situation -- and are turning to Freddy Garcia in this win-or-go-home game. Yes, the Freddy Garcia who turned 37 yesterday, and has had a season
- Alex Rodriguez and Avisail Garcia: Waiver Wire
to make his mark in the majors. Avisail Garcia has only played 12 games with his new club, but he's shown signs of life. Both players deserve to be owned more.
3B Alex Rodriguez 61% owned
- Justin Ruggiano and Continuing Failure
A July 8 article in the Sun-Sentinel by Juan C. Rodriguez asked, "Is Justin Ruggiano the next Marlin to go?" The same things that made him desirable to Miami made him desirable to contenders. He
- Dumping Justin Morneau
Justin Morneau has 26 home runs in his past 270 games played, which over 162 games would be a measly 16 long balls. For a first baseman, that just does not cut it. Yet still, Morneau is owned in 58
- Justin Maxwell: Waiver Wire
Justin Maxwell (ESPN: 37 percent owned; Yahoo!: 14 percent owned)
If Justin Maxwell were a pitcher instead of an outfielder, his career may have ended before it even really started. While
- Spotted: Karim Garcia Homering Importantly
major-leaguer Karim Garcia, currently of Mexican club Yaquis de Obregón.
In tonight's edition, we find a another grainy daguerreotype -- in this case, not of Garcia being walked intentionally
- Spotted: Karim Garcia Getting Walked Intentionally
It's not immediately clear to the author what set of circumstances might have led to the six intentional walks recorded by Karim Garcia during his 10-year major-league career. Whatever
- Freddy Garcia and the Value of Broken Starters
From 2001 to 2006, Freddy Garcia posted six consecutive seasons with 200 or more innings pitched, and while he wasn't an ace, he was an above average durable starting pitcher. That skillset helped
- Justin Upton, the Braves, and their Strikeouts
As of Thursday, an awful lot of people are happy. The Diamondbacks are happy, because they were able to move Justin Upton for value. The Braves are happy, because they were able to get Justin Upton
- Braves Acquire Justin Upton
The Diamondbacks have traded Justin Upton again. This time, he's actually going away. After he rejected a deal to Seattle, they've found a new trade partner in the Atlanta Braves, and have crafted
- Prospect Packages for Justin Upton
of waiting out the Arizona Diamondbacks before swooping in and acquiring 25-year old Justin Upton. Or, maybe the Rangers lucked out when Upton rejected a trade to the Mariners for Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin
- Justin Ruggiano "Has This"
: as the old adage goes, if you fail 70% of the time, you're doing pretty good.
Sometimes that confidence extends into hubris, which might be the case with Marlins outfielder Justin Ruggiano:
- Prospect Impact: Hicks, Arcia, Garcia and more
: Tigers sign OF Torii Hunter
PROSPECT IMPACT: OF Avisail Garcia
For a change, maybe the Tigers will avoid rushing one of their prospects. Garcia, in fact, has already been rocketed through the system
- The Real Justin Upton
Through six major league seasons, we still don't know what to make of Justin Upton. He's looked like a budding superstar in 2009 and 2011, and merely an adequate outfielder in 2010 and 2012. A number
- Justin Verlander's Location Problem
Headed into last night, the Tigers were the favorites to win the World Series in large part because they had Justin Verlander, and people tend to favor teams who have ace starters in the playoffs
- The Aging Mountie: Justin Morneau
If you know much about me, you’re not terribly surprised I’ve chosen to profile Justin Morneau in the scope of Colonel Sanders publishing his first base rankings this past Monday. And while I think
- Christian Garcia: The Nationals' K-Rod?
Christian Garcia, 27, came up from the minors this month and has struck out seven against two unintentional walks in six innings of work. The only run he's allowed came on a Giancarlo Stanton solo
- Justin Verlander Below the Surface
In a start earlier Thursday, Justin Verlander just abused the Blue Jays for nine innings. In fairness to the Blue Jays, theirs was a lineup missing Jose Bautista, J.P. Arencibia, and Brett Lawrie
- Jaime Garcia's Return Key for Cardinals
Eleven innings after his departure Jaime Garcia's return to the Cardinals' rotation was buried by the absurdity of one of the season's longest games. After battling back from one run down in the 16th
- Hot GIFs: Freddy Garcia Is Duly Impressed
), during which game Cuban emigre Yoenis Cespedes hit a home run that compelled veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia to discover physics again for the first time.
For the benefit of the reader, who
- Justin Morneau: Is There Any Hope?
Justin Morneau looks to be back and somewhat healthy this season. He has played in the first 10 Twins' games this season with Tuesday being his first day off. In nine games, he was the designated
- Spotted: Karim Garcia on First Base
First, Karim Garcia was Baseball America's seventh-overall prospect. Then, he played on at least 11 different teams in at least four different countries. Then he hit a single in the bottom
- Jesus Montero: Cabrera, Konerko, or Karim Garcia?
- The Case for Justin Verlander
The American League Most Valuable Player Award is going to be announced at 2:00 pm today, and there's a pretty good chance that Justin Verlander is going to become just the 10th player to win both
- Keeper Question: Jaime Garcia
Garcia missed most of the 2009 season after undergoing the procedure following the 2008 season. In his first full season back, Garcia not only pitched quite well, he did so in the majors, having
- WS Scouting: Colby Lewis vs. Jaime Garcia
How wonderfully awkward.
The last time Colby Lewis and Jaime Garcia faced off, we were treated to one of the best pitcher's duels of the World Series. Jaime Garcia shut down the Rangers for seven
- NLCS Scouting: Greinke vs. Garcia
Why, hello to you too.
Toinght, 8:10pm: Zack Greinke vs. Jaime Garcia.
Zack Greinke (3.83 ERA, 2.66 SIERA)
Greinke has spawned a Twitter war this afternoon, as everyone seemingly wants
- The Idea and Reality of Justin Verlander
on the Detroit bullpen the day before he pitched and the two days afterward." - Buster Olney, ESPN
You don't have to do much googling to find a column praising the dominance of Justin Verlander. In fact
- The Troubling Case of Justin Morneau
Justin Morneau's frustrating season is officially over.
After a number of nagging injuries to its first baseman, the Minnesota Twins decided to shut down its former All-Star for the remainder
- Milone and Garcia: NL Starting Pitchers
struggles with runners on base.
With a month of the season left to go, Garcia has thrown almost exactly the same number of innings he threw last year with the exact same number
- Davis, Smoak, Drew, Garcia, Carrasco: DL Returnees
the starts in CF.
Justin Smoak (nose, 19%): Justin looks to take back the Mariner's 1B position from Mike Carp's when he returns in around 2 weeks. Smoak's fantasy value is being driven down by his
- Justin Verlander: A Shot At 25?
Justin Verlander won his 20th game Saturday against the Minnesota Twins. Eric Seidman already covered his MVP candidacy this morning, and I have to agree that we should probably cool down
- Biggest Busts: Shortstops and Outfielders (ottoneu lwts leagues)
- Bourgeois & Garcia: Waiver Wire
like the elite baserunners, he's going to help your team.
Freddy Garcia | SP | Yankees | Ownership: 29% Yahoo!, 45.7%
The Yankees decided not to blow their prospect wad on a starting pitcher
- Biggest Busts: Second Base & Third Base (ottoneu lwts leagues)
- A New Fantasy Pitching Points Proposal
the biggest bump moving to this new system are those who have an ERA that is substantially better than their FIP: Justin Verlander (+108 pts), Jared Weaver (+87 pts), Josh Beckett (+84 pts), etc
- Cardinals Extend Jaime Garcia
The St. Louis Cardinals moved today to lock up one of their important young pieces, signing pitcher and potential ace-in-the-making Jaime Garcia to a four year contract worth $27.5 million. The deal
- Biggest Busts: C & 1B (ottoneu lwts leagues)
Performed As: $28
Justin Morneau, MIN
Avg. Cost: $21.38
Performed As: -$9
My Pick: Albert Pujols
Meet my first baseman in ottoneu! And I paid $67 for him
- Your lwts Fantasy All-Stars: National League
- Your lwts Fantasy All-Stars: American League
is still very solid (.279/.377/.440). Abreu continue to plug away and get relatively little respect for what he does.
Felix Hernandez (1351 pts, 2.82 FIP, $45)
- Biggest Surprises: 2B, SS, OF (ottoneu lwts)
- Catcher, 1B, 3B: Biggest surprises (ottoneu lwts)
), Justin Smoak (+$14), Juan Miranda (+$12), Joey Votto (+$6)
Jose Bautista, TOR
Avg. Cost $29.72
Performed As: $109
Alex Gordon, KCR
Avg. Cost: $5.07
- Pick Six Value Picks: Starters and Relievers
been terrific for the past month. And Pineiro is the best of a large group of other pitchers right around his cost point (minimal) and projected production level (decent). Others include Justin
- Pick Six Value Picks: Middle Infield and Outfield
- Jaime Garcia Is the New Adam Wainwright
was a perfectly reasonable projection.
Perfectly reasonable until we realize that Jaime Garcia is the new Adam Wainwright.
As Garcia climbed the minor league ranks, he seemed to have some potential
- Pick Six Value Picks: Catcher & Corner Infield
- Nearly Perfect: Jaime Garcia's 2011 Season
, Garcia's start has already been overshadowed by Justin Verlander's no-hitter, Cliff Lee's 16-strikeout performance, and Anibal Sanchez's near no-hitter, but it's still ranked by ESPN's Game Score as one
- Strategy in Pick Six: Daily, Quick Fantasy Baseball
- Freddy Garcia: Value in Pinstripes?
Freddy Garcia did not even make our initial AL starting pitcher rankings. After a strong start to the season, at least on the surface, in a month's worth of work, the question is whether this old
- Reliever Rankings, Ignoring Saves and Holds
- Strategy on Streaking Players: Don't Trust the Streak
- What's Upton with Justin?
If someone told you Justin Upton would finally make the jump to "superstardom" this season, you may have been slightly hesitant to believe them. After all, Upton is coming off a somewhat
- Lessons in Patience, Courtesy of Lance Berkman
- Justin Upton Settling Into 2011
The first ten games of Justin Upton 's age 23 season have gone pretty well. Through his first 46 plate appearances, Arizona's prodigy has a .300/.391/.575 triple-slash line and a .411 wOBA
- What should you do with RP slots in points leagues?
. Clayton Richard, 860 pts
4. Shaun Marcum, 848 pts
5. R.A. Dickey, 777 pts
6. Justin Masterson, 754 pts
7. Brandon Morrow, 720 pts
8. Brian Wilson, 679 pts
9. Phil Hughes, 675 pts
- $2 Shortstops in Ottoneu Points Leagues
- Pitcher value in a FanGraphs points league
- Position Scarcity in FanGraphs Points Leagues
- FanGraphs Points Leagues: What Hitters Will Be Underrated by Traditional Fantasy Rankings?
- FanGraphs Points Leagues: What Hitters Will Be Overrated by Traditional Fantasy Rankings?
- How Pitching is Scored in ottoneu FanGraphs Points Leagues
- How hitting is scored in ottoneu FanGraphs points leagues
- Justin Upton's Future Value
ships, Towers could take out an armada in a matter of minutes. Today's rumor du jour is that the Diamondbacks will be willing to listen to calls for young right fielder Justin Upton. In reality, most
- On Justin Upton
A player with a lot of hype surrounding him after the numbers he put up last year, Justin Upton has been a bit of a disappointment this year. Before the year began, some fantasy guru’s were
- Freddy Garcia Is Staying Alive
Rare is it when a pitcher’s ERA, FIP, and xFIP are in a state of complete accord. Nearly as rare is Freddy Garcia pitching more than 100 innings in any given season during these twilight years of his
- Justin Smoak's Struggles
It's just one of those things. I feel good at the plate, but I hit it right at them.
-- Justin Smoak, to the Fort Worth Star Telegram
You can't just hit the ball hard and not get any luck
- Justin Masterson's Splits
When the Cleveland Indians shipped C/1B Victor Martinez to the Boston Red Sox last July 31st, the club picked up LHP Nick Hagadone, RHP Bryan Price and RHP Justin Masterson. Hagadone was the long
- Luck and Skill Converging for Jaime Garcia
If not for Ubaldo Jimenez's continued dominance, Jaime Garcia might be the big story of the National League right now. Garcia pitched six shutout innings last night, holding the Padres to just three
- The Island of Justin Morneau
Fun game of the day - mix and match collections of first baseman that equal Justin Morneau in value so far this year.
Morneau: +3.6 wins
Albert Pujols, Adrian Gonzalez, and Todd Helton: +3.6
- Forgotten: Lefty Jaime Garcia
Cardinals left hander Jaime Garcia almost opted for professional baseball in his native country of Mexico in 2005. But area scout Joe Almaraz convinced Garcia to sign with the St. Louis
- Justin Verlander's Wicked Fastball
take notice. Justin Verlander added another notch to his fantastic season yesterday when he held the Boston Red Sox scoreless in eight innings at Fenway, helping the Tigers avoid a four-game sweep
- Justin Upton: Superstar
One of the stories of the first few weeks of the season was the struggles of Justin Upton. The 21-year-old began the season by going six for his first 36, striking out 12 times in failing to hit
- Justin Upton's Future
Yesterday, in the post about the players who have had comparable seasons to Matt Wieters Double-A performance last year, one commenter brought up Justin Upton, who didn't have a chance to have
- Spoiler Alert: It's Garcia Time
is handing the ball to Freddy Garcia, former Mariners and White Sox great, who won a ring with the White Sox in 2005.
Garcia spent last season with the Phillies, though most of it was not actually