- Pitch Movement Benchmarks
- Keeper League Player Depth
- Tony Cingrani, Shelby Miller and the Two-Pitch Approach
pitchers. It shouldn't be a surprise that guys like Justin Masterson, Derek Lowe or Aaron Cook are at the top of the list, but none of those guys are really comparable to Cingrani or Miller. The non-sinker
- Effective Andrew Miller Helping Boston's Bullpen
some personnel changes. Mark Melancon (49.50 ERA/37.55 FIP (!!!)) was shipped to the minors while Justin Thomas (7.71/3.27) and Michael Bowden (3.00/6.38) were cut loose. Changing the names
- Justin Upton Trade Would Be a Rarity
The Diamondbacks have made it known that they are open to trading right-fielder Justin Upton. The two-time all-star, who finished fourth in the National League Most Valuable Player voting last season
- Daily Notes: Feat. No Fewer Than Two Graphs in re Shelby Miller
and prized right-hander Shelby Miller.
Regarding Shelby Miller, His Performance to Date
Regarding Shelby Miller's performance to date, it wouldn't be inaccurate at all to characterize it as excellent
- How Pitching is Scored in ottoneu FanGraphs Points Leagues
- Pitcher value in a FanGraphs points league
- Biggest Busts: C & 1B (ottoneu lwts leagues)
Performed As: $28
Justin Morneau, MIN
Avg. Cost: $21.38
Performed As: -$9
My Pick: Albert Pujols
Meet my first baseman in ottoneu! And I paid $67 for him
- What should you do with RP slots in points leagues?
. Clayton Richard, 860 pts
4. Shaun Marcum, 848 pts
5. R.A. Dickey, 777 pts
6. Justin Masterson, 754 pts
7. Brandon Morrow, 720 pts
8. Brian Wilson, 679 pts
9. Phil Hughes, 675 pts
- Pick Six Value Picks: Starters and Relievers
been terrific for the past month. And Pineiro is the best of a large group of other pitchers right around his cost point (minimal) and projected production level (decent). Others include Justin
- Your lwts Fantasy All-Stars: American League
is still very solid (.279/.377/.440). Abreu continue to plug away and get relatively little respect for what he does.
Felix Hernandez (1351 pts, 2.82 FIP, $45)
- Catcher, 1B, 3B: Biggest surprises (ottoneu lwts)
), Justin Smoak (+$14), Juan Miranda (+$12), Joey Votto (+$6)
Jose Bautista, TOR
Avg. Cost $29.72
Performed As: $109
Alex Gordon, KCR
Avg. Cost: $5.07
- A New Fantasy Pitching Points Proposal
the biggest bump moving to this new system are those who have an ERA that is substantially better than their FIP: Justin Verlander (+108 pts), Jared Weaver (+87 pts), Josh Beckett (+84 pts), etc
- How hitting is scored in ottoneu FanGraphs points leagues
- FanGraphs Points Leagues: What Hitters Will Be Overrated by Traditional Fantasy Rankings?
- FanGraphs Points Leagues: What Hitters Will Be Underrated by Traditional Fantasy Rankings?
- Position Scarcity in FanGraphs Points Leagues
- $2 Shortstops in Ottoneu Points Leagues
- Lessons in Patience, Courtesy of Lance Berkman
- Strategy on Streaking Players: Don't Trust the Streak
- Reliever Rankings, Ignoring Saves and Holds
- Strategy in Pick Six: Daily, Quick Fantasy Baseball
- Pick Six Value Picks: Catcher & Corner Infield
- Pick Six Value Picks: Middle Infield and Outfield
- Biggest Surprises: 2B, SS, OF (ottoneu lwts)
- Your lwts Fantasy All-Stars: National League
- Biggest Busts: Second Base & Third Base (ottoneu lwts leagues)
- Biggest Busts: Shortstops and Outfielders (ottoneu lwts leagues)
- Justin Masterson's (Almost) All-Fastball Dominance
with his right hand. 103 times it was the ol' number one.
Yes, merely a day after Sam Miller wrote this piece wondering if a pitcher would ever throw an all-fastball start, Justin Masterson was one
- Justin Verlander Needs to Change to Counter Change
Justin Verlander, -7.7%
Jake Peavy, -7.6%
Danny Salazar, -7.4%
Tony Cingrani, -7.3%
Maholm had some elbow problems, and he's been torched. Miller doesn't look at all like he used
- How Much Better Could Justin Masterson Be?
Relative to the league average, over his career, Justin Masterson has pitched to the tightest strike
- Miller Time in Florida
Andrew Miller may have been the unluckiest pitcher in baseball in 2008.
Miller posted a 5.87 ERA in 107 innings, and eventually earned a ticket back to triple-A. However, Miller’s BABIP was .346
- Shelby Miller's Debut, Animated
Cardinals right-hander Shelby Miller was ranked fourth overall among all prospects by our Marc Hulet on his preseason top-100 list and within the top 10 on most other lists of that sort. Despite
- Andrew Miller's Vesting Option
- I would also accept "sneakiest" - one yet. As first reported by Alex Speier, Boston struck a deal with Andrew Miller that essentially circumvents the waiver process.
Here's the basics - Miller
- Andrew Miller's MLB Return
For a 26-year-old with an even 300 innings pitched in the majors, Andrew Miller has worn many labels throughout his career. He was a college ace at North Carolina and a top-10 pick by the Tigers
- Andrew Miller's Iffy Future
Andrew Miller has two articles linked on his page. One directs to a RotoGraphs piece written by the Talented Mr. Bendix and clicking the other will lead to a detailed look at the tallest rotations
- Is Shelby Miller ready?
Yes. No. Maybe? I don't know. 2012 has been an enigmatic year for the 21-year-old Texan. After being rated highly coming into the year Shelby Miller is the not-so-proud owner of a 5.19 ERA
- Shelby Miller Looks Broken
Last October, Shelby Miller became something of a mystery. After spending the year in the Cardinals rotation and developing into one of the league's best young hurlers, Miller became nothing more
- Shelby Miller And Getting It Together
It’s almost as if at some point in 2012, someone attended one of Shelby Miller’s Triple-A outings and yelled, “Hey Shelby, get it together!”
Well, Miller has gotten it together, following up
- Brad Miller Is Worth Claiming
Unable to stomach Brendan Ryan and his .230 wOBA as the team's primary shortstop any longer, the Seattle Mariners have reportedly called up 23-year-old Brad Miller in an attempt to breathe some life
- Tightening Brad Miller's Leash
Brad Miller is no longer taking walks or getting hits. That’s obviously a problem, because it means he’s killing your team in average, failing to drive in runs and not getting on base to score runs
- On Justin Upton
A player with a lot of hype surrounding him after the numbers he put up last year, Justin Upton has been a bit of a disappointment this year. Before the year began, some fantasy guru’s were
- Can You Trust Shelby Miller?
Shelby Miller looked broken after his first two starts of the year. Though it's tough to overreact to just two starts, Miller did come with some concerns entering the season. After struggling down
- Marvin Miller's Legacy, and the Decline of Labor
; — Interview with Marvin Miller, 2008, after asking the Hall of Fame to stop nominating him
Since Marvin Miller's death, there has been a small but respectful chorus of voices calling for Miller's
- Sam Miller Is the Boss of Word Clouds
It's without a trace of chagrin that I reproduce in these pages -- despite it having already been produced in everybody else's pages -- Sam Miller's word cloud experiment from his Angels Blog
- 2009 Impact Rookie: Adam Miller
What should we make of Adam Miller?
The right-handed pitching prospect has been frustrating the Cleveland Indians organization and its fans since he was selected out of a Texas high school
- Will Steinbrenner Beat Out Miller for HOF
of looking at the Veterans Committee vote, and specifically the absence of Marvin Miller from the Hall, the question comes down to either, “How can you not have Miller in the Hall of Fame?”, or “Miller’s
- Important Life Questions And Brad Miller
. I've been dealing with a lot of this philosophical life stuff recently, and it's been difficult.
I'm talking, of course, about Brad Miller, and it seems I'm not alone, as the baseball community
- Breaking down Brad Miller for 2014
Believe it or not, when I solicited future shortstop topics last week, the name that came up the most was Brad Miller of the Seattle Mariners.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Miller just fine, and I
- Andrew Miller and The Art of the Dumpster Dive
Facing one of the worst offenses in baseball last night, Andrew Miller yielded 10 baserunners, became the first pitcher to give up a home run to Orlando Hudson all season, and walked away
- Shelby Miller Gets Married, Pedicures
Sharing space with the lawyers, doctors, and management consultants with quirky artisanal side businesses in this weekend's New York Times weddings section was Shelby Miller, who married his
- Daily Notes, Featuring the Miller's Tale
. Today's Complete Schedule
Featured Game: Milwaukee at Washington, 13:05 ET
Regarding the Original Miller's Tale
In Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, a miller tells a story about a carpenter
- Daily Notes, Feat. a Summary of Shelby Miller's Debut
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of Daily Notes.
1. A Brief Note Regarding the Regular Season
2. Summary: Shelby Miller's First MLB Start
3. Forthcoming Games
- How Shelby Miller Resembles the Model Starting Pitcher
. Certainly, you wouldn't expect to see his name linked to that of a right-handed young starter with basically two pitches. In terms of scouting reports, Cliff Lee and Shelby Miller don't have a whole lot
- Duane Kuiper Enjoys Jon Miller... and a Bottle of Pinot
Strange thing. There's something in here about Duane Kuiper typing in 'FanGraphs' on a computer and a revealing Jon Miller popping up with a bottle of Pinot Noir. I can't make heads or tails
- Mariners Challenge Justin Smoak with Justin Smoak 2.0
appearances and then still became good hitters who had solid careers.
Interestingly, though, this entire story almost perfectly describes incumbent first baseman Justin Smoak. They acquired him
- Justin Ruggiano "Has This"
: as the old adage goes, if you fail 70% of the time, you're doing pretty good.
Sometimes that confidence extends into hubris, which might be the case with Marlins outfielder Justin Ruggiano:
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller, OC Register
-- Bandied About!
Sam Miller, OC Register
Finally, you can subscribe to the podcast via iTunes or other feeder things.
Audio on the flip-flop. (Approximately 65 min play time.)
- Justin Upton's Future
Yesterday, in the post about the players who have had comparable seasons to Matt Wieters Double-A performance last year, one commenter brought up Justin Upton, who didn't have a chance to have
- Justin Verlander Below the Surface
In a start earlier Thursday, Justin Verlander just abused the Blue Jays for nine innings. In fairness to the Blue Jays, theirs was a lineup missing Jose Bautista, J.P. Arencibia, and Brett Lawrie
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller of the OC Register
about Sam Miller of the OC Register. In this episode, Sam talks at some length about the effects of the Albert Pujols signing. Also discussed: why not to write a novel, lowered expectations.
- The Island of Justin Morneau
Fun game of the day - mix and match collections of first baseman that equal Justin Morneau in value so far this year.
Morneau: +3.6 wins
Albert Pujols, Adrian Gonzalez, and Todd Helton: +3.6
- On Justin Verlander's Health
Last night, Justin Verlander lasted one inning, gave up five runs, and left the game with "right shoulder soreness". After the game, Verlander admitted that this had "been lingering for a little
- The Idea and Reality of Justin Verlander
on the Detroit bullpen the day before he pitched and the two days afterward." - Buster Olney, ESPN
You don't have to do much googling to find a column praising the dominance of Justin Verlander. In fact
- Justin Smoak's Struggles
It's just one of those things. I feel good at the plate, but I hit it right at them.
-- Justin Smoak, to the Fort Worth Star Telegram
You can't just hit the ball hard and not get any luck
- Justin Upton: Superstar
One of the stories of the first few weeks of the season was the struggles of Justin Upton. The 21-year-old began the season by going six for his first 36, striking out 12 times in failing to hit
- Justin Morneau: Is There Any Hope?
Justin Morneau looks to be back and somewhat healthy this season. He has played in the first 10 Twins' games this season with Tuesday being his first day off. In nine games, he was the designated
- Justin Upton, the Braves, and their Strikeouts
As of Thursday, an awful lot of people are happy. The Diamondbacks are happy, because they were able to move Justin Upton for value. The Braves are happy, because they were able to get Justin Upton
- Justin Verlander: A Shot At 25?
Justin Verlander won his 20th game Saturday against the Minnesota Twins. Eric Seidman already covered his MVP candidacy this morning, and I have to agree that we should probably cool down
- Justin Upton Settling Into 2011
The first ten games of Justin Upton 's age 23 season have gone pretty well. Through his first 46 plate appearances, Arizona's prodigy has a .300/.391/.575 triple-slash line and a .411 wOBA
- Jesus Guzman and Andrew Miller: Mining the Minors
be a smart power and eligibility add in deep NL-only play. And of course, to keep his roster spot, he'll need to hit. But that's the one thing Guzman does well.
Andrew Miller, Red Sox SP/RP
- Justin Verlander's Wicked Fastball
take notice. Justin Verlander added another notch to his fantastic season yesterday when he held the Boston Red Sox scoreless in eight innings at Fenway, helping the Tigers avoid a four-game sweep
- The Case for Justin Verlander
The American League Most Valuable Player Award is going to be announced at 2:00 pm today, and there's a pretty good chance that Justin Verlander is going to become just the 10th player to win both
- Justin Ruggiano and Continuing Failure
A July 8 article in the Sun-Sentinel by Juan C. Rodriguez asked, "Is Justin Ruggiano the next Marlin to go?" The same things that made him desirable to Miami made him desirable to contenders. He
- Dumping Justin Morneau
Justin Morneau has 26 home runs in his past 270 games played, which over 162 games would be a measly 16 long balls. For a first baseman, that just does not cut it. Yet still, Morneau is owned in 58
- Is This The Real Justin Verlander?
The All Star Game took place on Tuesday, and for the first time since 2008, Justin Verlander was not there for the festivities. Looking at his recent performance, it seems like very, very long ago
- Justin Upton's Future Value
ships, Towers could take out an armada in a matter of minutes. Today's rumor du jour is that the Diamondbacks will be willing to listen to calls for young right fielder Justin Upton. In reality, most
- Justin Maxwell: Waiver Wire
Justin Maxwell (ESPN: 37 percent owned; Yahoo!: 14 percent owned)
If Justin Maxwell were a pitcher instead of an outfielder, his career may have ended before it even really started. While
- Justin Verlander's Location Problem
Headed into last night, the Tigers were the favorites to win the World Series in large part because they had Justin Verlander, and people tend to favor teams who have ace starters in the playoffs
- The Change: Carlos Carrasco, Shelby Miller, Trevor May
We call it The Change, but in today's case, we might have three instances where change looks like it's happened... but it hasn't. Is it possible that Carlos Carrasco, Shelby Miller and Trevor May
- What's Upton with Justin?
If someone told you Justin Upton would finally make the jump to "superstardom" this season, you may have been slightly hesitant to believe them. After all, Upton is coming off a somewhat
- The Troubling Case of Justin Morneau
Justin Morneau's frustrating season is officially over.
After a number of nagging injuries to its first baseman, the Minnesota Twins decided to shut down its former All-Star for the remainder
- Justin Masterson's Splits
When the Cleveland Indians shipped C/1B Victor Martinez to the Boston Red Sox last July 31st, the club picked up LHP Nick Hagadone, RHP Bryan Price and RHP Justin Masterson. Hagadone was the long
- The Real Justin Upton
Through six major league seasons, we still don't know what to make of Justin Upton. He's looked like a budding superstar in 2009 and 2011, and merely an adequate outfielder in 2010 and 2012. A number
- Revisiting Justin Masterson
A couple months ago, I told you it was too early to worry about Justin Masterson. Well, we are more than half-way through June now and if I wasn't worried before, I am now.
- Prospect Packages for Justin Upton
of waiting out the Arizona Diamondbacks before swooping in and acquiring 25-year old Justin Upton. Or, maybe the Rangers lucked out when Upton rejected a trade to the Mariners for Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin
- Braves Acquire Justin Upton
The Diamondbacks have traded Justin Upton again. This time, he's actually going away. After he rejected a deal to Seattle, they've found a new trade partner in the Atlanta Braves, and have crafted
- The Aging Mountie: Justin Morneau
If you know much about me, you’re not terribly surprised I’ve chosen to profile Justin Morneau in the scope of Colonel Sanders publishing his first base rankings this past Monday. And while I think
- Justin Upton and the Allure of Upside
Justin Upton finished the season as the 21st most valuable outfielder according to our valuations. But I can almost guarantee that he'll be drafted higher than 21st among outfielders next year
- Royals are Foolishly Thinking about Lackey and Miller
found this cute little rumor:
#Royals and #RedSox could match up on a trade, as Kansas City reportedly likes Andrew Miller and John Lackey: http://t.co/Sw8ipEDAm6
— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) July
- Justin Verlander's Whiff Rate
In 2009, Detroit Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander took his performance to another level. The Old Dominion product punched out 7.19 batters per nine innings and issued 3.27 walks per nine frames
- The Recent Resurgence of Justin Morneau
It’s been a long time since Justin Morneau was anything close to a sure fantasy option. 2010 drafters had to decide which Morneau was the real thing, the player who hit .311/.390/.575 with 21 HR
- Making Sense of Justin Ruggiano
It's pretty rare for a player who was still a rookie at age-29 to ever stumble into a full-time role. But that's precisely what Justin Ruggiano is looking to do this spring. A minor leaguer since
- Justin Smoak, Finally For Real?
on this one: my "bold prediction" that Justin Smoak would be a top-15 mixed league first baseman.
That was based on the combination of a scorching September (.428 wOBA in 101 plate appearances), the switch
- Justin Upton's Trade Value
Yesterday, the Arizona Diamondbacks got an offer for Justin Upton that they would say yes to, as the Seattle Mariners reportedly agreed to ship Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin, Charlie Furbush
- Locking Up Justin Upton
of contract extensions for Mark Reynolds and Justin Upton. His answer was unsurprisingly ambiguous, though the copy editor played it up a bit in the headline. Seeing that headline, after finding through
- The Cardinals Will be Good for Justin Masterson
ago, a guy with a 5+ ERA.
Justin Masterson, who's still on the disabled list, is going to St. Louis, and going to Cleveland is prospect James Ramsey. The Indians aren't giving up, but they no longer
- Justin Masterson's Value
to pay immediate dividends was Justin Masterson.
A 6-6, 250 pound specimen, Masterson was selected out of San Diego State in the second round of the 2006 draft. In its '06 draft coverage, Baseball
- Spotted: Chris Sabo Jersey at Miller Park
Went to the Brewers-Reds game last night at Miller Park. Decent amount of Reds fans there in a modest crowd (27,000-ish).
Often, I make a point of taking noticing the most popular jerseys worn
- Q&A: Jon Miller, Hall of Fame Broadcaster
The voice is instantly recognizable. So is the easygoing style and depth of knowledge that makes him one of the best play-by-play announcers in baseball. No one calls a game quite like Jon Miller
- Prospects In The Justin Upton Deal
- Is Justin Verlander a Fireballer?
- Photo: Things Justin Verlander is Thinking
I know, the photo's from last week, but I just found it, so it's new to me.
Anyway, we've got two options, as we go deep inside the mind of ace Justin Verlander, as he chokes teammate Magglio
- Justin Turner: Probably Not Taking Steroids
Worst day of spring training, physicals #ihateneedles but the good news is, once today's done, baseball will officially be started!#LGM— Justin Turner (@redturn2) February 17, 2013
- Justin Maxwell Has Nice Teeth
Newly-acquired Royals outfielder Justin Maxwell has nice teeth.
And he should. From The New York Times:
Maxwell, from Olney, Md., is the son of Austin Maxwell, who was the presidential
- Justin Turner: Possibly of Irish Extraction
infielder Justin Turner came to bat earlier this week, my computer grew arms and seized my tailored lapels. I clicked on the relevant Maximum Irish Caution icon, and it took me straightaway
- What to do about Justin Smoak?
In one of Howard Bender's most recent Kicking Rocks articles, he identified Justin Smoak as a player experiencing a breakout season. After looking at Smoak's stats this season, it would be tough
- Justin and B.J. Upton and the Brother Effect
According to Kevin Towers, a few days ago he was prepared to move on without having traded Justin Upton, as he wasn't finding enough value on the market. In lieu of an Upton trade, the Diamondbacks
- Q&A: David Ortiz and Justin Verlander
It goes without saying that David Ortiz and Justin Verlander are among the most dominant players of their era. The Red Sox slugger has a career .284/.379/.545 slash line and 391 home runs; the Tigers
- Justin Masterson's Immaculate Inning (And Then Some)
didn't even notice it had happened. Justin Masterson had struggled mightily with his command in the first three innings, needing 28 pitches to get out of the first and 21 more to get through
- Justin Morneau, RBIs and 1B Tiers
Justin Morneau checks in with an ADP of 20 in the latest rankings from Mock Draft Central. That makes him a mid-to-late second-round pick. However, it also ranks him as the sixth-best first base
- Video: Andrew Miller's Entire Sunday Appearance in 30 Sec.
Andrew Miller pitched for Boston on Sunday, March 3rd, 2013, against the New York Yankees. He threw 15 pitches and struck out all three batters he faced. His entire appearance lasted just three
- Justin Verlander's Ninth Inning Heat
By now, there is not much that Justin Verlander does that should surprise us. The Tigers ace has thrown not one, but two no-hitters and regularly displays the hardest fastball, in terms of average
- Justin Black and Montana Major Leaguers
On Monday, the Atlanta Braves took Justin Black in the fourth round, the 149th overall pick. It may have been seen as an overdraft by some — Black was seen as a top-500 talent by many draft
- Grabbing Justin Smoak and Nate McLouth?
It's been a pretty odd season for both Nate McLouth and Justin Smoak, but they have both made themselves roto relevant during the season's final few weeks. They have hit four and five home runs
- Justin Verlander Summits Money Mountain
For much of the offseason, Felix Hernandez, Justin Verlander, and Clayton Kershaw were non-literally linked. All three have been among the most consistently outstanding starting pitchers in the world
- Justin Masterson - Elite Starting Pitcher?
and Cliff Lee among the names closely behind. Justin Verlander and Cole Hamels had off years in 2013, arguably dropping back in the pack a bit. Matt Harvey and Jose Fernandez entered the fray loudly last
- Would You Draft Justin Morneau?
This could be the end of the line for Justin Morneau. Morneau, who suffered from a concussion during the 2010 season, was shut down early last season after experiencing recurring symptoms. When
- Justin Upton is Suddenly Bad at Everything
Justin Upton was an early favorite for National League MVP after a scalding April. The 25-year-old seemed to put 2012 behind him, hitting .298/.402/.734 through the season's first month. It looked
- Is Justin Masterson Actually Being Benevolent?
Justin Masterson is scheduled to be a free agent at the end of the 2014 season, but over the last few days, he's made it clear that he hopes he never gets there. He wants to re-sign with the Indians
- Q&A: Justin Masterson and Chris Perez
Justin Masterson and Chris Perez are having success against American League hitters -- Masterson is 5-2, 2.52; Perez has 10 saves -- but what would happen if they went up against a lineup of Indians
- Q&A: Justin Masterson, Rhapsodic Masterpiece
Bob Dylan wasn’t thinking of Justin Masterson when he wrote “When I Paint My Masterpiece” -- the Indians right-hander wasn’t even born yet -- but it’s fun to imagine. Dylan sings about how someday
- Justin Upton Is Not a Park Effect Mirage
Big news everyone - Justin Upton is still on the trade block. He has been for about three years now, and he will continue to be until he is mercifully traded to a team that wants him more than
- Justin Duchscherer Should Help O's
Over his last 169.2 innings pitched, Justin Duchscherer’s ERA+ is 160, which ain’t too shabby, as the kids say (Note: Kids don’t say this at all). Looking at other pitchers with similar innings
- Justin Upton Is Having A Rough Week
Things have not gone well for Justin Upton this season. After posting an MVP-caliber season in 2011, Upton has struggled to reach the same level this year. The situation worsened on Tuesday, when
- Justin Masterson's Valuable New Role
starter Justin Masterson, who made his first All-Star team this year and has exactly zero career saves to his name. Masterson missed most of the final month with an oblique injury and is not considered
- Making Further Sense of Justin Ruggiano
Last Thursday, fellow RotoGrapher Chris Cwik tried to make sense of Justin Ruggiano's half a season breakout performance last year. Chris primarily focused on historical comparables and concluded
- Let's Talk About Justin Masterson
Perhaps I should have written this piece last week. Because last week, Justin Masterson had a sub-two ERA and people were talking about him and his new approach against lefties. Then again, this week
- Q&A: Justin Ruggiano, Opportunistic Marlin
Going into last season, Justin Ruggiano was your classic AAAA player. A soon to turn 30-year-old outfielder, he’d appeared in 98 big-league games over three seasons, hitting just .226. The Rays had
- Will 2013 Be Justin Morneau's Last Stand?
Once upon a time, Justin Morneau was a very solid player. He was never the player his most-valuable-player status would have seemed to convey, though he was still solid. But that time was more than
- The Rockies Don't Need Justin Morneau
It’s been rumored for awhile now, but over the Thanksgiving break, the intensity of rumors linking the Colorado Rockies to Justin Morneau increased. But Morneau is not going to improve the Rockies
- Justin Verlander: Ready to Regain Righteousness
was a batting title contender, so was interested in seeing what I could get for him.
Enter Justin Verlander. The Tigers' ace, (at the time) had a 1.83 ERA and was 3-2 in April, and had hit a rough spot in May
- Brad Miller and Chris Getz: MI Waiver Wire Help
that perfect guy you're looking for, but you might find someone who will stick for the duration of the season such as...
Brad Miller, SEA |SS| Ownership: ESPN - 20.9% Yahoo - 13.0% CBS - 40.0
- Orioles Land Andrew Miller from busy Red Sox
Andrew Miller has been phenomenal for Boston this season. He has struck out over 40 percent of the batters he has faced, and has been death against both lefties (0.65 FIP, .194 wOBA allowed
- Video: Justin Verlander on His Future Cause of Death
Making an appearance on TV's Conan on Wednesday, Detroit Tiger SuperAce Justin Verlander announced both to O'Brien and all of America that he will one day die either of congestive heart failure
- Mixed League Waiver Wire: B.J. Upton, Brad Miller
to an inquiry about him indirectly, too see if they can still acquire him at a discount.
SS Brad Miller, Seattle Mariners
Ownership: CBS 32% | Yahoo! 29% | ESPN 3.8%
Eno and I talked about him on Tuesday
- From Busch to Miller, Kyle Lohse Finds a New Home
he put together last season.
The move to Miller Park will also do the right-hander no favors. While Busch Stadium doesn’t rival PETCO Park or Target Field as a pitcher-haven, it is more forgiving
- FanGraphs Audio: Justin Merry of Red Reporter
and/or Foolhardy Playoff Predictions
... and other make-or-break propositions!
Justin Merry (a.k.a. Justin Inaz) of Red Reporter and Beyond the Boxscore.
Finally, you can subscribe
- FanGraphs Audio: Marlins Outfielder Justin Ruggiano
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks with Marlins outfielder Justin Ruggiano about the latter's baseball-related travels, including stops in Taiwan, Mexico, Venezuela
- Justin Verlander May Be Hurting, But Is He Injured?
, but there are always muscles that are tightening, muscles that are not functioning properly,” Cabrera said in Spanish. “It’s part of the process. The same thing is happening to Justin Verlander
- The Last Pitch of Justin Masterson's Complete Game
It will likely come as no surprise to the reader to learn that Cleveland right-hander Justin Masterson and the author have a lot in common: we both lived in the Boston area for a little while, we
- Justin Verlander: Atypical Game, Typical Results
"You labored, it wasn't a typical Justin Verlander game."
That was TBS's Craig Sager, just after Phil Coke made Justin Verlander's Game 3 performance officially stand up: 8.1 innings, three hits
- Trading Half of Justin Masterson Is Not As Crazy As It Sounds
Bob Nightengale says that the Yankees are looking into trading for Justin Masterson. Meanwhile, Buster Olney says there are “no legs” to that rumor. Who’s to say they can’t both be right? Sure, any
- Have You Seen Justin Verlander's Fastball?
fastball drop significantly, and among that group is Detroit Tigers ace Justin Verlander.
In 2006, the only starting pitcher in baseball with a higher velocity average on his fastball was Felix
- What Justin Verlander Can Teach Us
Justin Verlander had himself a fine season, you may have heard. The first pitcher to win both the MVP and the Cy in about a quarter-century, he combined superlative peripherals with just a little bit
- Cliff Lee to Texas for Justin Smoak, Finalized
, he joins the division rival Texas Rangers, along with RP Mark Lowe. Coming back to Seattle will be Justin Smoak and three others according to this Joel Sherman tweet. This deal has also been
- Cole Hamels' Three-Pitch Strikeout of Justin Ruggiano
Cole Hamels' three-pitch strikeout of Justin Ruggiano during the first inning of Monday night's Phillies-Marlins game (box) in Miami isn't more significant than most other three-pitch strikeouts
- FG on Fox: The Coors Field Effect on Justin Morneau
Justin Morneau is off to a great start this year; of course, this is also his first year playing for the Rockies. Most people enjoy playing half their games in a park that greatly inflates offense
- Justin Verlander Wins 2011 AL Cy Young
The BBWAA confirmed what most already expected Tuesday by tabbing Justin Verlander as the 2011 American League Cy Young award winner. Verlander was absolutely dominant in 2011, pacing both circuits
- Justin Verlander: Ace, or Merely Above Average?
in the American League.
While the continued disappointment and injury issues concerning star-crossed righty Jeremy Bonderman got some attention, the majority will point to Justin Verlander's
- Justin Masterson with a Little Help from His Friends
There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding Justin Masterson. The Indians are rumored to be listening to offers on both he and shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, and either of those moves could have
- Should You Worry About Justin Masterson?
If you happen to be a FG+ subscriber, and you happen to have visited Justin Masterson's page, and you happen to have read his 2014 FanGraphs+ Profile, you saw these lines: "Fantasy owners will look
- Free Agent Fantasy Impact: Justin Duchscherer
Because he did not pitch this season due to elbow and mental issues, Justin Duchscherer will be passed over by many major league clubs as he enters free agency for the first time this offseason. Even
- Justin Upton Cuts his K Rate
Following a mildly disappointing 2010 campaign, Justin Upton is enjoying his best offensive season to date in 2011. Upton has a .299/.384/.522 triple-slash for the first-place Arizona Diamondbacks
- Jarrod Dyson and Justin Maxwell: Waiver Wire
. If you're in a position to move up in stolen bases, you should probably give Dyson a look.
Justin Maxwell, HOU |OF| Ownership: ESPN - 3.0% Yahoo - 2.0%
There have been plenty of struggles
- Justin Smoak, Will Middlebrooks: Corner Infield Waiver Wire
at this time of year, but it's certainly not impossible.
Justin Smoak, SEA |1B| Ownership: ESPN - 24.2% Yahoo - 22.0%
After listening to my 15-year old nephew's incessant yammering about
- Gary Sheffield's 1993 Trade and Justin Upton
Rumors have swirled around Justin Upton for some time now. The Diamondbacks are reportedly considering dealing the man once considered their franchise right fielder.
Upton, then 23, was a major
- Justin Upton Needs To Hit More Fly Balls
Justin Upton is still a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks. During the off-season, there was no reason to think that the 24-year-old outfielder would be a potential trade candidate. Upton was coming
- Justin Masterson Could Be Quite a Bit Better with Cardinals
The St. Louis Cardinals have added Justin Masterson to their rotation. The new team should be good for the right-hander, as Jeff Sullivan wrote on the non-fantasy side. Bernie Miklasz, long-time
- Justin Morneau and the Pirates' First Base Platoon
The team is not resting on their laurels, though. Having already acquired Marlon Byrd and John Buck from the Mets, the Pirates are now rumored to be trying to get Justin Morneau from the Twins. The Pirates
- Q&A: Justin Nicolino, Miami Marlins Pitching Prospect
Justin Nicolino has been called “an intelligent student of the game.” It's an accurate description and a big reason the 22-year-old southpaw is one of the top prospects in the Miami Marlins
- Totally Unaltered Tweet: Zombie Justin Verlander