- Early Ottoneu Pitcher Projections
- Early Ottoneu Hitter Projections
- The Justin Verlander Issue
to receive the most first-place votes, Rick Porcello has edged out Justin Verlander to win the American League Cy Young Award. The full results of the balloting can be found here. Porcello beat Verlander
- Mixing Fantasy & Reality: Nunez & Miller
passed. If an owner has a big enough bench, they may want to pick up Arroyo as a handcuff for Nunez.
2017 Projection: 550 PA, .275 AVG, 12 HR, 30 SB, 70 Runs, 65 RBI
Brad Miller: 2017
- The Risk of a Justin Turner Deal
remaining free agents. That would be Justin Turner, actually, with a 5.6 WAR. In terms of probable outcomes for next season, Turner has Cespedes beat there, too, with a 3.6 projected WAR for next
- Ottoneu Surplus Calculator: Early 2017
- Gauging the Trade Value of Miguel Cabrera, Justin Verlander
The Detroit Tigers find themselves at a crossroads as this offseason begins. With players like Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander -- stars who can still contribute but who are on the wrong side
- The Kyle Schwarber-Andrew Miller Dance
on their World Series roster, and one of them is Ryan Merritt, the soft-tossing rookie that they're likely hoping they don't have to use. For all intents and purposes, Andrew Miller is the only lefty
- Andrew Miller Has Had That David Ross At-Bat Before
Miller whiffing David Ross with two down and the bases loaded. The score at that point was a manageable 3-0, and the showdown got people talking. In part, there was confusion over why Ross was hitting
- The Dream of the '70s Is Alive in Andrew Miller
of this enthusiasm regarding bullpen usage has been Cleveland left-hander Andrew Miller. And for good reason: not only has Miller been predictably effective, but he's also been ubiquitous. Following last
- You Don't Just Have to Beat Andrew Miller's Slider
Miller. I mean, we'll see that, but we won't *only* see that, regardless of how the Indians are being discussed. And, look, I know we're contributing to all this. We've been writing three Miller
- So You Want to Beat Andrew Miller: A Walkthrough
: the 6-foot-7 swamp monster that comes out of their bullpen the moment they get a lead by the name of Andrew Miller.
He just won the ALCS MVP. In this postseason, he's thrown 20 scoreless innings
- Ottoneu Power Rankings: Final 2016
- Andrew Miller on the Evolution of his Slider
If you didn’t already know that Andrew Miller has a great slider, you do now. The lanky left-hander has been dominating the postseason. He’s also been garnering plenty of media attention, including
- Andrew Miller's New Harder Slider
Miller's great slider: “For some reason his slider seems like he’s playing with it a little more," he told reporters Sunday. "I felt like I saw two different sliders. Sometimes it’s more of a short
- Andrew Miller's Postseason Dominance in Context
This morning, I wrote about Andrew Miller's postseason dominance, and compared his current usage to how Mariano Rivera was deployed by the Yankees during their World Series runs. I noted Miller's
- Andrew Miller Is the Perfect Relief Pitcher
games against any good team is a massive challenge. And the idea of winning four straight against Andrew Miller's team seems downright impossible, because right now, Andrew Miller is basically
- Reviewing Justin Mason’s 10 Bold Predictions
- Reviewing Justin Vibber's 2016 Bold Predictions
- Ottoneu Waiver Wire: September 2016
- Daniel Norris, Justin Verlander, and the Tiger Slider
Don't ask Justin Verlander if his new harder slider is a cutter, apparently. "Verlander is steadfast on this -- he's not throwing a cutter. It's a slider," is how Chris McCosky characterized
- The Unwritten Rules
- Examining Some Close Ottoneu Races
- Roto Riteup: September 26, 2016
- The Unwritten Rules
- Three Fringe NL Central Prospects Assigned to the AFL
- Addison Reed Has Become Andrew Miller-Lite
Over the last calendar year, Andrew Miller has a 1.81 ERA and a 2.22 FIP. Those dominant numbers, combined with the compelling nature of Miller's complete transformation, have rightfully earned him
- The Unwritten Rules
- Sunday Notes: Brewers' Erceg, Francona's Computer, Lamb's Power, Miller, more
.) Recently, his informational intake has resulted him using Andrew Miller, arguably his best reliever, in high-leverage situations prior to the ninth inning. It’s smart baseball, but more than
- Ottoneu Power Rankings: August 2016
- This Justin Upton Looks a Lot Like Old Justin Upton
of Michael Fulmer and Justin Verlander’s resurgence, the Tigers have suffered from being a bit boring, whether that’s fair or not.
They haven’t needed to go on a massive run to get themselves
- AL Tiered Outfielder Ranks: August 2016
: Jay Bruce
Jackie Bradley Jr.
Maybe I am just fooling myself, but J-Up seems to be finally turning
- Roto Riteup: August 31, 2016
Today’s Roto Riteup is brought to you by Tebow Time!
I'm stashing Tebow in all dynasty baseball leagues that have 6 points for rushing and passing TDs. Downgrade in ppr
— Justin Mason
- Roto Riteup: August 29, 2016
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller
Sam Miller is editor-in-chief of Baseball Prospectus and co-author, with Ben Lindbergh, of The Only Rule Is It Has to Work. He's also the guest on this edition of FanGraphs Audio
- Five Players to Watch Rest of the Way
- The Three Silliest Andrew Miller Swings of the Year
Andrew Miller made a batter look silly last night. Andrew Miller makes batters look silly most nights, but last night, a batter looked particularly silly. One surefire way to identify a batter who
- Roto Riteup: August 22, 2016
- Ottoneu Waiver Wire: August 2016
- Brad Miller Becomes a Slugging Corner Infielder
, et al. That player is Rays shortstop Brad Miller.
Miller was traded from Seattle to Tampa Bay this offseason in the Nate Karns trade after three uninspiring seasons with the Mariners
- Learning To Love Rotisserie Leagues Again
- Justin Verlander Is Back In Elite Company
From 2008-11, Tim Lincecum and Justin Verlander were two of the five best pitchers in the world. The only three pitchers with a higher WAR than those two over that time period were into their 30’s
- Roto Riteup: August 15, 2016
- Confessions of a Trade-aholic
My name is Justin and I am a trade-aholic.
In my 15 years of playing fantasy baseball, I have made a ton of trades. Some have been good, some bad. It is easy for my league mates to remember
- Roto Riteup: August 8, 2016
- Ottoneu Power Rankings: July 2016
- Scouting the Yankees' Return for Andrew Miller
The package netted by Brian Cashman and the Yankees in exchange for Andrew Miller is headlined by two big names in OF Clint Frazier and LHP Justus Sheffield (both of whom project as average-or-better
- Indians Attempt to Go All In, Still Wind Up with Andrew Miller
to do, regarding Andrew Miller. The Miller news is official -- no take-backs! -- and the details are as follows:
LHP Andrew Miller
OF Clint Frazier
- Roto Riteup: July 28, 2016
- AL Tiered Outfielder Ranks: July 2016
Jackie Bradley Jr.
- Identifying Keepers Using Steamer600
- The Padres Possess the Andrew Miller Backup Plan
We're soon to see the Yankees trade away at least one dominant left-handed reliever in Aroldis Chapman, and it's very possible they deal away a second dominant left-handed reliever in Andrew Miller
- Justin Mason’s 10 Bold Predictions (Mid Season Review)
- Ottoneu June Power Rankings
- Ottoneu All Stars
- John Lackey Has a New(ish) Slider
-best slider in the league to date. Surprisingly, Lackey’s slider has been more effective than some of the most well-known sliders in the game, including Jose Fernandez, Justin Verlander, and Madison
- AL Tiered Outfielder Ranks: June 2016
I was torn about moving Lorenzo Cain down into this tier, but with the recent hamstring strain and his history of hamstring
- Ottoneu Pitcher Projection Changes
- Justin Turner's Battle with BABIP
Patience is certainly a virtue, especially as it relates to fantasy baseball. However, with the hard luck season that Justin Turner had apparently decided to embrace in the first two months of 2016
- Available Players Looking for an Owner Like You
left-handed bats in Detroit in the starting lineup. Moya has real legit power and is going to be hitting behind Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez, Nick Castellanos, and Justin Upton. He will strike out
- Streaming for Stolen Bases by Catcher
on the Rays. Logan Morrison ($3,900) is tied with Brad Miller ($3,500) for second on the team with four stolen bases this year and both are particularly cheap today. Or we could always attempt to exploit
- Ottoneu Most Added Players
- Ottoneu May Power Rankings
- Streaming for Stolen Bases by Pitcher
- My Favorite Andrew Miller Fact
Miller fun fact. Not just a fun fact -- my absolute favorite Andrew Miller fun fact, at least of the moment, at least as long as it's factual. It's not like you didn't already know that Andrew Miller
- It's Rock Bottom for Shelby Miller
Shelby Miller just started his tenth game of the season. He has, to his name, all of one single quality start. It came a few weeks ago, in Atlanta, where Miller went to work against one of the worst
- AL Tiered Outfielder Ranks: May 2016
Originally I had Hanley in the tier above
- More Ottoneu Hitter ROS Projections
- Field of Streams: Episode 161 – Live With Justin Mason
Episode 161 - Live With Justin Mason
The latest episode of “Field of Streams” is live!
In this episode, Dylan Higgins and Brad Johnson are joined by Justin Mason in a live recording to discuss
- The Redemption of Matt Bush
- AL Outfielders: Rookies (Update)
- Diagnosing Shelby Miller's Troubles
Shelby Miller just pitched six innings and allowed just two runs on Saturday. For a pitcher who entered that game having given up 22 runs in 23.1 innings -- while also recording as many walks
- Players I'm Buying in Ottoneu
right now, but I would guess his owner may be in a panic over the poor performance and sell at a reasonable discount.
Just like Votto, Upton has really struggled out of the gates
- Ottoneu April Power Rankings
- Here Are Andrew Miller's 10 Biggest Spots
, and with the bases empty, they sent up Justin Smoak. At this point, the leverage index was 1.80. Miller quickly worked ahead 0-and-2. Uh oh!
Smoak struck out. In his defense, it was the only option
- Roto Riteup: May 2, 2016
- AL Tiered Outfielder Ranks: April 2016
with the rest due to their individual injury histories. Betts has looked fantastic since starting the year 3-for-23.
Tier 3: Toby Ziegler
- Full Disclosure
- Early Season Ottoneu Hitter Projection Changes
- Roto Riteup: April 19, 2016
, as the move may have more to do with helping with the D-Backs pitching depth in light of Shelby Miller being a knuckle scraper.
According to Jon Heyman, the Tigers, Orioles and Reds are among
- Is it time to pickup Max Kepler?
- Roto Riteup: April 9, 2016
- AL Outfielders: The Undrafted
- My Ottoneu Portfolio
in the draft.
Justin Grimm (seven teams, $3 average salary)
With relief pitchers in ottoneu, I almost always prioritize targeting pitchers with good skills and a low acquisition price. Grimm is projected
- Justin Vibber's 10 Bold Predictions
- AL Tiered Outfielder Ranks: Preseason 2016
from him this season.
Bautista and Cain offer high upside with their usual injury risk. I think we could definitely see more power from Lorenzo.
Tier 3: Leather
- Shelby Miller on Changing His Mix
Shelby Miller’s pitch usage changed last year. Per PITCHf/x, his cutter percentage jumped from 5.8% to 20.7% while his curveball percentage fell from 19.5% to 9.7%. He also employed his fastball
- Roto Riteup: March 21, 2016
- Justin Mason's 10 Bold Predictions
- OttoGraphs Episode: 3- Prospect Interview with Chris Mitchell
- OttoGraphs Episode: 2- Auction Strategy
- How to Mess Up a Mock in 23 Rounds
#4 Joe Gallina - RotoExperts
#5 Keith Lott - We Talk Fantasy Sports
#6 Nate Miller - Sporting News
#7 Nick Mariano - RotoBaller
#8 Justin- The Fantasy Fix
#9 Alex Beckey - BaseballHQ.com
- OttoGraphs 01/18/2016- Introduction & Keeper Deadline Review
, in season tips/tricks, and offseason trade/keeper strategy.
The first segment of this episode serves as our introduction, and touches briefly on what the four of us (Joe, Justin, Tom, and Trey
- Top Five Incoming Impact Prospects: NL Central
- AL Outfielder: Rookies
- What is BARF? Bay Area Roto-Fantasy
with the “catchy” acronym BARF. Here is the lineup/draft order that was assembled:
1 - Justin Mason, Rotographs/Friends with Fantasy Benefits
2 - Tim Williams, Friends with Fantasy Benefits
- Cheap Speed: Breaking Bad Style
- Does Inflation Increase As A League Gets Older?
- The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Harper
- Corey Dickerson's Value in Tampa Bay
- Justin Upton: A Potential Value Trap for the Tigers
Justin Upton’s recent $132.75M/6-year contract with the Tigers does not seem, on the surface, like an outrageous contract. And right now it isn’t; at age 28, Justin should be hitting his prime. Since
- Ottoneu Surplus Calculator
- Reports: Tigers Close to Signing Justin Upton
All winter, it's been pretty clear that the Tigers needed another outfielder, and with an apparently soft market for Yoenis Cespedes and Justin Upton, it seemed perfectly logical for the Tigers
- Reviewing 2015 Pod Projections: Justin Verlander
programming, where I'll recap my Justin Verlander projection. Heading into 2015, Verlander was a tough man to forecast. In 2014, his ERA jumped by more than a run, marking just the second time in his
- Evaluating the Prospects in the Shelby Miller Trade
The Atlanta Braves continued dealing from their Major League roster this week, sending Shelby Miller and relief prospect Gabe Speier to the Arizona Diamondbacks for oufielder Ender Inciarte, recent
- Projecting the Prospects in the Shelby Miller Trade
As you've certainly heard by now, the Diamondbacks swung a deal for Shelby Miller (and Gabe Speier) on Wednesday night. The trade gives the D-Backs another bona-fide starter to slot behind
- Attempting to Rationalize the Shelby Miller Trade
to get at is this: the trade value on the open market for Dansby Swanson, Aaron Blair, and Ender Inciarte is much greater than one Shelby Miller, but if you are the Diamondbacks and presented one choice
- Why Nobody Is Talking About Justin Upton
Check out the MLB Trade Rumors page for Justin Upton, and you find something strange. Since a report on November 13 that the outfielder had been extended a qualifying offer, Upton has been invoked
- Trade Implications: Miller's Mint, Castro & Lind On the Move
Swanson, & Aaron Blair
To ARI: Shelby Miller & Gabe Speier
Primary piece(s): Obviously when you pay that kind of sum, the returns had damn-well better be the primary piece. Arizona may have
- Diamondbacks Pay for Ace, Get Shelby Miller
Just yesterday, we thought the Wade Miley trade might've been lopsided. And, you know, maybe. But now we're on another level. Forget the Wade Miley trade. Now we have the Shelby Miller trade. Kudos
- Braves Get Haul from Diamondbacks for Shelby Miller
The Braves have reportedly sent Shelby Miller to the Diamondbacks for 25-year-old outfielder Ender Inciarte, 23-year-old right-hander Aaron Blair, and last year's number one overall pick, 21-year-old
- Breaking Down the Astros' 2015 Offensive Changes
- Shelby Miller: Pseudo-Prospect
As a part of whatever their plan is, the Braves have reportedly made Shelby Miller available, and they're taking calls from almost everyone. Miller has three more years of team control, so
- Eric Hosmer Has Been the Most Clutch Hitter In the League
- Explaining Brandon Crawford's 2015 Power Surge
- Miller Time And Tropicana
A mixture of beer and orange juice is called a brass monkey. Occasionally, uncreative types will call it a beermosa. A mixture of Miller High Life and Tropicana orange juice is called disgusting
- Justin Upton's Youth and Power in the Free Agent Market
By most accounts, Justin Upton has delivered on his promise as a former number-one draft pick and top prospect, hitting 190 home runs and averaging roughly four wins per season since turning 21 years
- Justin Turner, The Forgotten Dodgers Star
When the Dodgers traded Juan Uribe on May 27, long-time super utility player Justin Turner finally became a full-time starter. In the months since, Turner’s performance earned him praise, including
- Some Belated Thoughts on the Miller-Karns Deal
with plenty of years of control remaining, shortstop Brad Miller and starting pitcher Nate Karns. I agree with most of Dave Cameron's thoughts in the immediate wake the trade: one's opinion
- Q&A: Justin Bour, Marlins Slugger
Justin Bour is a big man who hits bombs. The 27-year-old Miami Marlins rookie is 6-foot-4, 250 pounds — and this season, 10 of his 14 home runs have gone at least 400 feet. On Saturday, he clubbed
- Is Justin Verlander Back?
A month ago, I ridiculed Justin Verlander. He had just come off a start during which he allowed seven earned runs and couldn't escape the fourth inning. Through his first six 2015 starts, he posted
- What If Justin Verlander Figured It Out?
. Ranking third on his list was fallen Tigers ace Justin Verlander, whose contract is steady even when the pitching isn't. Verlander ranked worse than Matt Kemp. Worse than Shin-Soo Choo. He's making $28
- The Daily Grind: Thor, Flande, Adonis, Miller
Daily DFS - Syndergaard, Strasburg
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - Tillman, Shoemaker, Flande, Adonis, Miller
1. Daily DFS - Syndergaard, Strasburg
- JABO: Justin Turner Has Earned a Starting Job
name among this elite group of hitters?
Dodgers infielder Justin Turner. Yes, the same Justin Turner who began the year as LA's second-string utility guy, as he wasn't even the team's top infield
- Bradding Miller
Too big of a reach on the title?
As I tend to do on Sundays when considering a topic for my Monday post on shortstops, I was perusing the leaderboards and settled on Brad Miller as today's topic
- Miller's Tale
Spoiler Alert: We’re going to tell you two sentences from now where we come down on the subject of Brad Miller, enigmatic Mariner. Jump to the next paragraph if you don’t want to know until the end
- David DeJesus & Justin Bour: Deep League Wire
some appeal in deep leagues.
Justin Bour / 1B / Miami Marlins / 3%
You might remember Bour as the man who broke up Shelby Miller’s would-be no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning earlier
- Shelby Miller, the Cutter, and Quality of Opposition
The past year has been a mixed bag for Shelby Miller. In these digital pages during 2014, Dave discussed him being broken during April, Eno postulated on whether he was fixed following the regular
- Justin Turner, Marlon Byrd, and an Education in Hitting
Justin Turner isn't Babe Ruth -- mostly because only Babe Ruth is Babe Ruth. Of late, however, Turner's numbers have been Ruthian in nature. Consider: since the beginning of 2014, only two hitters
- Buying High on Shelby Miller
Last year Shelby Miller had a sophomore slump that saw him be worth 0.5 WAR over the course of 31 starts, a very poor number for such a highly regarded prospect coming off of an impressive rookie
- Revisiting the Chris Taylor vs. Brad Miller Debate
to the start of the season, one player I was keeping a close eye on was Chris Taylor. Being stuck in a position battle with Brad Miller made him a questionable target, but I had confidence that he
- Justin Maxwell Cuts Down, Heats Up
For the first time in years, Justin Maxwell is in demand.
OK, so it's not a crazy, opening-scene-of-a-Beatles-movie demand, but still, his ownership has jumped 20% in CBS leagues in the past week
- Brad Miller Puts On Weight, Results To Be Determined
% increase in bat speed," Nathan found, and that sort of bat speed increase can lead to an increase of 4.3% in batted ball distance.
And so this year, Mariners shortstop Brad Miller decided to put
- JABO: Rick Porcello as Young Justin Masterson
The Red Sox clearly have a thing for Justin Masterson. They drafted him with their second-round pick in 2006, then developed him into one of their best young pitching prospects before the Indians
- Reconsidering Brett Lawrie and Justin Smoak, Again
It’s time to talk about Brett Lawrie and Justin Smoak yet again. These two have been through the spin cycle from hyped prospects, to busts, to post-hype sleepers, to post-hype busts. The majority
- 2015 Pod Projections: Justin Verlander
MVP and Cy Young awards back in 2011, Justin Verlander followed up strongly the next season, finishing second in the Cy Young voting. But in 2013, his fastball velocity slipped for a third straight
- Looking for Justin Verlander's Curveball
Maybe it was all a setup for the headline, but in Anthony Fenech's piece about Justin Verlander and his effort to return to glory -- titled "Tigers' Verlander 'way ahead of the curve' early
- Padres Reportedly Acquire Justin Upton
Well, this is fascinating. A day after finalizing the Matt Kemp trade, and on the day the Wil Myers trade is expected to be announced, the Padres have reportedly agreed to acquire Justin Upton
- Exploring Justin Upton's Trade Value
ever truly know for certain who is "available" on the trade market, we can say with reasonable confidence that Justin Upton is. As the Braves signaled their intention to shift from win-now
- Yankees Flex Spending Power, Ink Andrew Miller
Miller would be worth Nick Markakis money. And now, Miller has been given Nick Markakis money, almost. He gets the same four years, but Miller's getting $36 million, not $44 million. This kind of contract
- Andrew Miller at Nick Markakis Money
about trying to figure out why Markakis got so expensive. The numbers we have don't exactly support the full commitment.
Later today, or maybe tomorrow, Andrew Miller is likely to sign with a team
- Handicapping Justin Verlander
The 2014 season was a cruel one for Justin Verlander. To the fantasy baseball players who owned him for most of it and drafted, bought, kept, or traded for the formerly elite right-hander, the 2014
- Quick Looks at DeSclafani, Miller and Greene
him up. In a small sample in 2014, he had a 25% K% and 0% BB% as a reliever (8.2 IP).
Why I watched: He just got traded.
Game(s) Watched: 9/23/13 vs Cubs
- Justin Upton Shouldn't Cost More Than Jason Heyward
Justin Upton into another version of the Shelby Miller package, they should be pretty happy about it.
And perhaps the fact that the Braves are considering trading Upton and then using the savings
- Can The Braves Fix Shelby Miller?
The title of this post presupposes a few things -- that new Brave Shelby Miller is broken; that Shelby Miller can be fixed; that Shelby Miller has not yet been fixed; that some teams are more likely
- White Sox Sign Andrew Miller Lite(?)
, reports indicated that David Robertson is seeking a four-year deal in the mold of Jonathan Papelbon‘s $50MM contract, and the asking price on top lefty reliever Andrew Miller might not be much lower
- The Fascinating Jason Heyward/Shelby Miller Swap
Maybe we should have seen this coming. It was pretty clear that the Braves were going to trade an outfielder this winter, with both Justin Upton and Jason Heyward entering their final season before
- Braves, Cardinals Swap Jason Heyward, Shelby Miller
We'll get a full write-up on this deal up soon, but the Cardinals and Braves just made a fun trade, with the Braves shipping Jason Heyward and Jordan Walden to St. Louis for Shelby Miller and Tyrell
- Brad Miller Now Likes Striking Out
I made a decision while trying to win a championship last season which I didn't regret at the time, but now must deal with. I traded for Brad Miller. I didn't want him. He was a throw in for a trade
- Blue Jays Claim Justin Smoak
as a free agent after the A's claimed him on waivers and then released him two weeks later; that move has worked out pretty well, I'd say. So now they're trying it again, claiming Justin Smoak off
- Shelby Miller: Fixed?
that pitcher doesn't have any obvious checkmarks on the checklist? What do you say about Shelby Miller's up-and-down year so far?
Before I talk to any pitcher, I sketch out something like the following table
- Andrew Miller, Wade Davis and the Battle of the Bullpen Aces
of that because that’s exactly what I already did. Here's the top 10:
Dellin Betances, Yankees, 3.5
Wade Davis, Royals, 3.4
Andrew Miller, Orioles 2.2
Kelvin Herrera, Royals, 2.1
- Return to Being Useful: Justin Morneau
Justin Morneau’s place on the Colorado Rockies didn’t make much sense when the deal was announced. It was written about here, by Paul Swydan, and pretty much everywhere else. And Swydan was right
- Relative Waiver Wire: Brad Miller, Aaron Hicks
a time or three. Those players are unlikely to capture imaginations, although an automatic dismissal is often hasty.
2B/SS Brad Miller, Seattle Mariners
Ownership: CBS 23% | Yahoo! 30
- On Justin Verlander's Health
Last night, Justin Verlander lasted one inning, gave up five runs, and left the game with "right shoulder soreness". After the game, Verlander admitted that this had "been lingering for a little
- The Change: Carlos Carrasco, Shelby Miller, Trevor May
We call it The Change, but in today's case, we might have three instances where change looks like it's happened... but it hasn't. Is it possible that Carlos Carrasco, Shelby Miller and Trevor May
- Justin Masterson Could Be Quite a Bit Better with Cardinals
The St. Louis Cardinals have added Justin Masterson to their rotation. The new team should be good for the right-hander, as Jeff Sullivan wrote on the non-fantasy side. Bernie Miklasz, long-time
- The Cardinals Will be Good for Justin Masterson
ago, a guy with a 5+ ERA.
Justin Masterson, who's still on the disabled list, is going to St. Louis, and going to Cleveland is prospect James Ramsey. The Indians aren't giving up, but they no longer
- Royals are Foolishly Thinking about Lackey and Miller
found this cute little rumor:
#Royals and #RedSox could match up on a trade, as Kansas City reportedly likes Andrew Miller and John Lackey: http://t.co/Sw8ipEDAm6
— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) July
- Justin Verlander May Be Hurting, But Is He Injured?
, but there are always muscles that are tightening, muscles that are not functioning properly,” Cabrera said in Spanish. “It’s part of the process. The same thing is happening to Justin Verlander
- Pitch Movement Benchmarks
- Is This The Real Justin Verlander?
The All Star Game took place on Tuesday, and for the first time since 2008, Justin Verlander was not there for the festivities. Looking at his recent performance, it seems like very, very long ago
- FG on Fox: The Coors Field Effect on Justin Morneau
Justin Morneau is off to a great start this year; of course, this is also his first year playing for the Rockies. Most people enjoy playing half their games in a park that greatly inflates offense
- Important Life Questions And Brad Miller
. I've been dealing with a lot of this philosophical life stuff recently, and it's been difficult.
I'm talking, of course, about Brad Miller, and it seems I'm not alone, as the baseball community
- Revisiting Justin Masterson
A couple months ago, I told you it was too early to worry about Justin Masterson. Well, we are more than half-way through June now and if I wasn't worried before, I am now.
- Justin Masterson's Immaculate Inning (And Then Some)
didn't even notice it had happened. Justin Masterson had struggled mightily with his command in the first three innings, needing 28 pitches to get out of the first and 21 more to get through
- Justin Verlander Needs to Change to Counter Change
Justin Verlander, -7.7%
Jake Peavy, -7.6%
Danny Salazar, -7.4%
Tony Cingrani, -7.3%
Maholm had some elbow problems, and he's been torched. Miller doesn't look at all like he used
- Can You Trust Shelby Miller?
Shelby Miller looked broken after his first two starts of the year. Though it's tough to overreact to just two starts, Miller did come with some concerns entering the season. After struggling down
- Tightening Brad Miller's Leash
Brad Miller is no longer taking walks or getting hits. That’s obviously a problem, because it means he’s killing your team in average, failing to drive in runs and not getting on base to score runs
- Should You Worry About Justin Masterson?
If you happen to be a FG+ subscriber, and you happen to have visited Justin Masterson's page, and you happen to have read his 2014 FanGraphs+ Profile, you saw these lines: "Fantasy owners will look
- Shelby Miller Looks Broken
Last October, Shelby Miller became something of a mystery. After spending the year in the Cardinals rotation and developing into one of the league's best young hurlers, Miller became nothing more
- Is Justin Masterson Actually Being Benevolent?
Justin Masterson is scheduled to be a free agent at the end of the 2014 season, but over the last few days, he's made it clear that he hopes he never gets there. He wants to re-sign with the Indians
- Justin Verlander: Ready to Regain Righteousness
was a batting title contender, so was interested in seeing what I could get for him.
Enter Justin Verlander. The Tigers' ace, (at the time) had a 1.83 ERA and was 3-2 in April, and had hit a rough spot in May
- Justin Masterson - Elite Starting Pitcher?
and Cliff Lee among the names closely behind. Justin Verlander and Cole Hamels had off years in 2013, arguably dropping back in the pack a bit. Matt Harvey and Jose Fernandez entered the fray loudly last
- Keeper League Player Depth
- Shelby Miller And Getting It Together
It’s almost as if at some point in 2012, someone attended one of Shelby Miller’s Triple-A outings and yelled, “Hey Shelby, get it together!”
Well, Miller has gotten it together, following up
- Justin Masterson with a Little Help from His Friends
There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding Justin Masterson. The Indians are rumored to be listening to offers on both he and shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, and either of those moves could have
- Mariners Challenge Justin Smoak with Justin Smoak 2.0
appearances and then still became good hitters who had solid careers.
Interestingly, though, this entire story almost perfectly describes incumbent first baseman Justin Smoak. They acquired him
- Trading Half of Justin Masterson Is Not As Crazy As It Sounds
Bob Nightengale says that the Yankees are looking into trading for Justin Masterson. Meanwhile, Buster Olney says there are “no legs” to that rumor. Who’s to say they can’t both be right? Sure, any
- Justin Upton and the Allure of Upside
Justin Upton finished the season as the 21st most valuable outfielder according to our valuations. But I can almost guarantee that he'll be drafted higher than 21st among outfielders next year
- Shelby Miller Gets Married, Pedicures
Sharing space with the lawyers, doctors, and management consultants with quirky artisanal side businesses in this weekend's New York Times weddings section was Shelby Miller, who married his
- The Rockies Don't Need Justin Morneau
It’s been rumored for awhile now, but over the Thanksgiving break, the intensity of rumors linking the Colorado Rockies to Justin Morneau increased. But Morneau is not going to improve the Rockies
- Justin Masterson's Valuable New Role
starter Justin Masterson, who made his first All-Star team this year and has exactly zero career saves to his name. Masterson missed most of the final month with an oblique injury and is not considered
- Breaking down Brad Miller for 2014
Believe it or not, when I solicited future shortstop topics last week, the name that came up the most was Brad Miller of the Seattle Mariners.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Miller just fine, and I
- Justin Maxwell Has Nice Teeth
Newly-acquired Royals outfielder Justin Maxwell has nice teeth.
And he should. From The New York Times:
Maxwell, from Olney, Md., is the son of Austin Maxwell, who was the presidential
- Justin Smoak, Will Middlebrooks: Corner Infield Waiver Wire
at this time of year, but it's certainly not impossible.
Justin Smoak, SEA |1B| Ownership: ESPN - 24.2% Yahoo - 22.0%
After listening to my 15-year old nephew's incessant yammering about
- Justin Ruggiano and Continuing Failure
A July 8 article in the Sun-Sentinel by Juan C. Rodriguez asked, "Is Justin Ruggiano the next Marlin to go?" The same things that made him desirable to Miami made him desirable to contenders. He
- Justin Smoak, Finally For Real?
on this one: my "bold prediction" that Justin Smoak would be a top-15 mixed league first baseman.
That was based on the combination of a scorching September (.428 wOBA in 101 plate appearances), the switch
- Brad Miller and Chris Getz: MI Waiver Wire Help
that perfect guy you're looking for, but you might find someone who will stick for the duration of the season such as...
Brad Miller, SEA |SS| Ownership: ESPN - 20.9% Yahoo - 13.0% CBS - 40.0
- Justin Upton is Suddenly Bad at Everything
Justin Upton was an early favorite for National League MVP after a scalding April. The 25-year-old seemed to put 2012 behind him, hitting .298/.402/.734 through the season's first month. It looked
- Brad Miller Is Worth Claiming
Unable to stomach Brendan Ryan and his .230 wOBA as the team's primary shortstop any longer, the Seattle Mariners have reportedly called up 23-year-old Brad Miller in an attempt to breathe some life
- How Shelby Miller Resembles the Model Starting Pitcher
. Certainly, you wouldn't expect to see his name linked to that of a right-handed young starter with basically two pitches. In terms of scouting reports, Cliff Lee and Shelby Miller don't have a whole lot
- Dumping Justin Morneau
Justin Morneau has 26 home runs in his past 270 games played, which over 162 games would be a measly 16 long balls. For a first baseman, that just does not cut it. Yet still, Morneau is owned in 58
- Justin Turner: Possibly of Irish Extraction
infielder Justin Turner came to bat earlier this week, my computer grew arms and seized my tailored lapels. I clicked on the relevant Maximum Irish Caution icon, and it took me straightaway
- Daily Notes: Feat. No Fewer Than Two Graphs in re Shelby Miller
and prized right-hander Shelby Miller.
Regarding Shelby Miller, His Performance to Date
Regarding Shelby Miller's performance to date, it wouldn't be inaccurate at all to characterize it as excellent
- Let's Talk About Justin Masterson
Perhaps I should have written this piece last week. Because last week, Justin Masterson had a sub-two ERA and people were talking about him and his new approach against lefties. Then again, this week
- Tony Cingrani, Shelby Miller and the Two-Pitch Approach
pitchers. It shouldn't be a surprise that guys like Justin Masterson, Derek Lowe or Aaron Cook are at the top of the list, but none of those guys are really comparable to Cingrani or Miller. The non-sinker
- Justin Maxwell: Waiver Wire
Justin Maxwell (ESPN: 37 percent owned; Yahoo!: 14 percent owned)
If Justin Maxwell were a pitcher instead of an outfielder, his career may have ended before it even really started. While
- Duane Kuiper Enjoys Jon Miller... and a Bottle of Pinot
Strange thing. There's something in here about Duane Kuiper typing in 'FanGraphs' on a computer and a revealing Jon Miller popping up with a bottle of Pinot Noir. I can't make heads or tails
- Q&A: Jon Miller, Hall of Fame Broadcaster
The voice is instantly recognizable. So is the easygoing style and depth of knowledge that makes him one of the best play-by-play announcers in baseball. No one calls a game quite like Jon Miller
- Justin Verlander Summits Money Mountain
For much of the offseason, Felix Hernandez, Justin Verlander, and Clayton Kershaw were non-literally linked. All three have been among the most consistently outstanding starting pitchers in the world
- Video: Andrew Miller's Entire Sunday Appearance in 30 Sec.
Andrew Miller pitched for Boston on Sunday, March 3rd, 2013, against the New York Yankees. He threw 15 pitches and struck out all three batters he faced. His entire appearance lasted just three
- Will 2013 Be Justin Morneau's Last Stand?
Once upon a time, Justin Morneau was a very solid player. He was never the player his most-valuable-player status would have seemed to convey, though he was still solid. But that time was more than
- How Much Better Could Justin Masterson Be?
Relative to the league average, over his career, Justin Masterson has pitched to the tightest strike
- Justin Turner: Probably Not Taking Steroids
Worst day of spring training, physicals #ihateneedles but the good news is, once today's done, baseball will officially be started!#LGM— Justin Turner (@redturn2) February 17, 2013
- Making Further Sense of Justin Ruggiano
Last Thursday, fellow RotoGrapher Chris Cwik tried to make sense of Justin Ruggiano's half a season breakout performance last year. Chris primarily focused on historical comparables and concluded
- Making Sense of Justin Ruggiano
It's pretty rare for a player who was still a rookie at age-29 to ever stumble into a full-time role. But that's precisely what Justin Ruggiano is looking to do this spring. A minor leaguer since
- Justin and B.J. Upton and the Brother Effect
According to Kevin Towers, a few days ago he was prepared to move on without having traded Justin Upton, as he wasn't finding enough value on the market. In lieu of an Upton trade, the Diamondbacks
- Justin Upton, the Braves, and their Strikeouts
As of Thursday, an awful lot of people are happy. The Diamondbacks are happy, because they were able to move Justin Upton for value. The Braves are happy, because they were able to get Justin Upton
- Prospects In The Justin Upton Deal
- Braves Acquire Justin Upton
The Diamondbacks have traded Justin Upton again. This time, he's actually going away. After he rejected a deal to Seattle, they've found a new trade partner in the Atlanta Braves, and have crafted
- Prospect Packages for Justin Upton
of waiting out the Arizona Diamondbacks before swooping in and acquiring 25-year old Justin Upton. Or, maybe the Rangers lucked out when Upton rejected a trade to the Mariners for Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin
- Q&A: Justin Ruggiano, Opportunistic Marlin
Going into last season, Justin Ruggiano was your classic AAAA player. A soon to turn 30-year-old outfielder, he’d appeared in 98 big-league games over three seasons, hitting just .226. The Rays had
- Justin Upton's Trade Value
Yesterday, the Arizona Diamondbacks got an offer for Justin Upton that they would say yes to, as the Seattle Mariners reportedly agreed to ship Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin, Charlie Furbush
- Justin Upton Is Not a Park Effect Mirage
Big news everyone - Justin Upton is still on the trade block. He has been for about three years now, and he will continue to be until he is mercifully traded to a team that wants him more than
- Justin Ruggiano "Has This"
: as the old adage goes, if you fail 70% of the time, you're doing pretty good.
Sometimes that confidence extends into hubris, which might be the case with Marlins outfielder Justin Ruggiano:
- Marvin Miller's Legacy, and the Decline of Labor
; — Interview with Marvin Miller, 2008, after asking the Hall of Fame to stop nominating him
Since Marvin Miller's death, there has been a small but respectful chorus of voices calling for Miller's
- The Real Justin Upton
Through six major league seasons, we still don't know what to make of Justin Upton. He's looked like a budding superstar in 2009 and 2011, and merely an adequate outfielder in 2010 and 2012. A number
- Justin Verlander's Location Problem
Headed into last night, the Tigers were the favorites to win the World Series in large part because they had Justin Verlander, and people tend to favor teams who have ace starters in the playoffs
- The Aging Mountie: Justin Morneau
If you know much about me, you’re not terribly surprised I’ve chosen to profile Justin Morneau in the scope of Colonel Sanders publishing his first base rankings this past Monday. And while I think
- Is Justin Verlander a Fireballer?
- Justin Verlander: Atypical Game, Typical Results
"You labored, it wasn't a typical Justin Verlander game."
That was TBS's Craig Sager, just after Phil Coke made Justin Verlander's Game 3 performance officially stand up: 8.1 innings, three hits
- Daily Notes, Feat. a Summary of Shelby Miller's Debut
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of Daily Notes.
1. A Brief Note Regarding the Regular Season
2. Summary: Shelby Miller's First MLB Start
3. Forthcoming Games
- Grabbing Justin Smoak and Nate McLouth?
It's been a pretty odd season for both Nate McLouth and Justin Smoak, but they have both made themselves roto relevant during the season's final few weeks. They have hit four and five home runs
- Daily Notes, Featuring the Miller's Tale
. Today's Complete Schedule
Featured Game: Milwaukee at Washington, 13:05 ET
Regarding the Original Miller's Tale
In Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, a miller tells a story about a carpenter
- Shelby Miller's Debut, Animated
Cardinals right-hander Shelby Miller was ranked fourth overall among all prospects by our Marc Hulet on his preseason top-100 list and within the top 10 on most other lists of that sort. Despite
- Justin Verlander Below the Surface
In a start earlier Thursday, Justin Verlander just abused the Blue Jays for nine innings. In fairness to the Blue Jays, theirs was a lineup missing Jose Bautista, J.P. Arencibia, and Brett Lawrie
- Is Shelby Miller ready?
Yes. No. Maybe? I don't know. 2012 has been an enigmatic year for the 21-year-old Texan. After being rated highly coming into the year Shelby Miller is the not-so-proud owner of a 5.19 ERA
- Cole Hamels' Three-Pitch Strikeout of Justin Ruggiano
Cole Hamels' three-pitch strikeout of Justin Ruggiano during the first inning of Monday night's Phillies-Marlins game (box) in Miami isn't more significant than most other three-pitch strikeouts
- Jarrod Dyson and Justin Maxwell: Waiver Wire
. If you're in a position to move up in stolen bases, you should probably give Dyson a look.
Justin Maxwell, HOU |OF| Ownership: ESPN - 3.0% Yahoo - 2.0%
There have been plenty of struggles
- Justin Upton Needs To Hit More Fly Balls
Justin Upton is still a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks. During the off-season, there was no reason to think that the 24-year-old outfielder would be a potential trade candidate. Upton was coming
- Gary Sheffield's 1993 Trade and Justin Upton
Rumors have swirled around Justin Upton for some time now. The Diamondbacks are reportedly considering dealing the man once considered their franchise right fielder.
Upton, then 23, was a major
- Justin Upton Trade Would Be a Rarity
The Diamondbacks have made it known that they are open to trading right-fielder Justin Upton. The two-time all-star, who finished fourth in the National League Most Valuable Player voting last season
- FanGraphs Audio: Marlins Outfielder Justin Ruggiano
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks with Marlins outfielder Justin Ruggiano about the latter's baseball-related travels, including stops in Taiwan, Mexico, Venezuela
- The Last Pitch of Justin Masterson's Complete Game
It will likely come as no surprise to the reader to learn that Cleveland right-hander Justin Masterson and the author have a lot in common: we both lived in the Boston area for a little while, we
- Effective Andrew Miller Helping Boston's Bullpen
some personnel changes. Mark Melancon (49.50 ERA/37.55 FIP (!!!)) was shipped to the minors while Justin Thomas (7.71/3.27) and Michael Bowden (3.00/6.38) were cut loose. Changing the names
- Q&A: David Ortiz and Justin Verlander
It goes without saying that David Ortiz and Justin Verlander are among the most dominant players of their era. The Red Sox slugger has a career .284/.379/.545 slash line and 391 home runs; the Tigers
- Justin Black and Montana Major Leaguers
On Monday, the Atlanta Braves took Justin Black in the fourth round, the 149th overall pick. It may have been seen as an overdraft by some — Black was seen as a top-500 talent by many draft
- Justin Upton Is Having A Rough Week
Things have not gone well for Justin Upton this season. After posting an MVP-caliber season in 2011, Upton has struggled to reach the same level this year. The situation worsened on Tuesday, when
- Spotted: Chris Sabo Jersey at Miller Park
Went to the Brewers-Reds game last night at Miller Park. Decent amount of Reds fans there in a modest crowd (27,000-ish).
Often, I make a point of taking noticing the most popular jerseys worn
- Justin Verlander's Ninth Inning Heat
By now, there is not much that Justin Verlander does that should surprise us. The Tigers ace has thrown not one, but two no-hitters and regularly displays the hardest fastball, in terms of average
- Justin Morneau: Is There Any Hope?
Justin Morneau looks to be back and somewhat healthy this season. He has played in the first 10 Twins' games this season with Tuesday being his first day off. In nine games, he was the designated
- The Recent Resurgence of Justin Morneau
It’s been a long time since Justin Morneau was anything close to a sure fantasy option. 2010 drafters had to decide which Morneau was the real thing, the player who hit .311/.390/.575 with 21 HR
- Would You Draft Justin Morneau?
This could be the end of the line for Justin Morneau. Morneau, who suffered from a concussion during the 2010 season, was shut down early last season after experiencing recurring symptoms. When
- Video: Justin Verlander on His Future Cause of Death
Making an appearance on TV's Conan on Wednesday, Detroit Tiger SuperAce Justin Verlander announced both to O'Brien and all of America that he will one day die either of congestive heart failure
- Q&A: Justin Masterson, Rhapsodic Masterpiece
Bob Dylan wasn’t thinking of Justin Masterson when he wrote “When I Paint My Masterpiece” -- the Indians right-hander wasn’t even born yet -- but it’s fun to imagine. Dylan sings about how someday
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller of the OC Register
about Sam Miller of the OC Register. In this episode, Sam talks at some length about the effects of the Albert Pujols signing. Also discussed: why not to write a novel, lowered expectations.
- What Justin Verlander Can Teach Us
Justin Verlander had himself a fine season, you may have heard. The first pitcher to win both the MVP and the Cy in about a quarter-century, he combined superlative peripherals with just a little bit
- The Case for Justin Verlander
The American League Most Valuable Player Award is going to be announced at 2:00 pm today, and there's a pretty good chance that Justin Verlander is going to become just the 10th player to win both
- Justin Verlander Wins 2011 AL Cy Young
The BBWAA confirmed what most already expected Tuesday by tabbing Justin Verlander as the 2011 American League Cy Young award winner. Verlander was absolutely dominant in 2011, pacing both circuits
- The Idea and Reality of Justin Verlander
on the Detroit bullpen the day before he pitched and the two days afterward." - Buster Olney, ESPN
You don't have to do much googling to find a column praising the dominance of Justin Verlander. In fact
- The Troubling Case of Justin Morneau
Justin Morneau's frustrating season is officially over.
After a number of nagging injuries to its first baseman, the Minnesota Twins decided to shut down its former All-Star for the remainder
- Justin Verlander: A Shot At 25?
Justin Verlander won his 20th game Saturday against the Minnesota Twins. Eric Seidman already covered his MVP candidacy this morning, and I have to agree that we should probably cool down
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller, OC Register
-- Bandied About!
Sam Miller, OC Register
Finally, you can subscribe to the podcast via iTunes or other feeder things.
Audio on the flip-flop. (Approximately 65 min play time.)
- Biggest Busts: Shortstops and Outfielders (ottoneu lwts leagues)
- Biggest Busts: Second Base & Third Base (ottoneu lwts leagues)
- Justin Masterson's (Almost) All-Fastball Dominance
with his right hand. 103 times it was the ol' number one.
Yes, merely a day after Sam Miller wrote this piece wondering if a pitcher would ever throw an all-fastball start, Justin Masterson was one
- A New Fantasy Pitching Points Proposal
the biggest bump moving to this new system are those who have an ERA that is substantially better than their FIP: Justin Verlander (+108 pts), Jared Weaver (+87 pts), Josh Beckett (+84 pts), etc
- Photo: Things Justin Verlander is Thinking
I know, the photo's from last week, but I just found it, so it's new to me.
Anyway, we've got two options, as we go deep inside the mind of ace Justin Verlander, as he chokes teammate Magglio
- Biggest Busts: C & 1B (ottoneu lwts leagues)
Performed As: $28
Justin Morneau, MIN
Avg. Cost: $21.38
Performed As: -$9
My Pick: Albert Pujols
Meet my first baseman in ottoneu! And I paid $67 for him
- Your lwts Fantasy All-Stars: National League
- Your lwts Fantasy All-Stars: American League
is still very solid (.279/.377/.440). Abreu continue to plug away and get relatively little respect for what he does.
Felix Hernandez (1351 pts, 2.82 FIP, $45)
- Jesus Guzman and Andrew Miller: Mining the Minors
be a smart power and eligibility add in deep NL-only play. And of course, to keep his roster spot, he'll need to hit. But that's the one thing Guzman does well.
Andrew Miller, Red Sox SP/RP
- Andrew Miller's MLB Return
For a 26-year-old with an even 300 innings pitched in the majors, Andrew Miller has worn many labels throughout his career. He was a college ace at North Carolina and a top-10 pick by the Tigers
- Andrew Miller and The Art of the Dumpster Dive
Facing one of the worst offenses in baseball last night, Andrew Miller yielded 10 baserunners, became the first pitcher to give up a home run to Orlando Hudson all season, and walked away
- Justin Upton Cuts his K Rate
Following a mildly disappointing 2010 campaign, Justin Upton is enjoying his best offensive season to date in 2011. Upton has a .299/.384/.522 triple-slash for the first-place Arizona Diamondbacks
- Biggest Surprises: 2B, SS, OF (ottoneu lwts)
- What to do about Justin Smoak?
In one of Howard Bender's most recent Kicking Rocks articles, he identified Justin Smoak as a player experiencing a breakout season. After looking at Smoak's stats this season, it would be tough
- Catcher, 1B, 3B: Biggest surprises (ottoneu lwts)
), Justin Smoak (+$14), Juan Miranda (+$12), Joey Votto (+$6)
Jose Bautista, TOR
Avg. Cost $29.72
Performed As: $109
Alex Gordon, KCR
Avg. Cost: $5.07
- Pick Six Value Picks: Starters and Relievers
been terrific for the past month. And Pineiro is the best of a large group of other pitchers right around his cost point (minimal) and projected production level (decent). Others include Justin
- Pick Six Value Picks: Middle Infield and Outfield
- Q&A: Justin Masterson and Chris Perez
Justin Masterson and Chris Perez are having success against American League hitters -- Masterson is 5-2, 2.52; Perez has 10 saves -- but what would happen if they went up against a lineup of Indians
- Pick Six Value Picks: Catcher & Corner Infield
- Strategy in Pick Six: Daily, Quick Fantasy Baseball
- Reliever Rankings, Ignoring Saves and Holds
- Strategy on Streaking Players: Don't Trust the Streak
- What's Upton with Justin?
If someone told you Justin Upton would finally make the jump to "superstardom" this season, you may have been slightly hesitant to believe them. After all, Upton is coming off a somewhat
- Lessons in Patience, Courtesy of Lance Berkman
- Justin Upton Settling Into 2011
The first ten games of Justin Upton 's age 23 season have gone pretty well. Through his first 46 plate appearances, Arizona's prodigy has a .300/.391/.575 triple-slash line and a .411 wOBA
- What should you do with RP slots in points leagues?
. Clayton Richard, 860 pts
4. Shaun Marcum, 848 pts
5. R.A. Dickey, 777 pts
6. Justin Masterson, 754 pts
7. Brandon Morrow, 720 pts
8. Brian Wilson, 679 pts
9. Phil Hughes, 675 pts
- $2 Shortstops in Ottoneu Points Leagues
- Pitcher value in a FanGraphs points league
- Position Scarcity in FanGraphs Points Leagues
- FanGraphs Points Leagues: What Hitters Will Be Underrated by Traditional Fantasy Rankings?
- FanGraphs Points Leagues: What Hitters Will Be Overrated by Traditional Fantasy Rankings?
- How Pitching is Scored in ottoneu FanGraphs Points Leagues
- Andrew Miller's Vesting Option
- I would also accept "sneakiest" - one yet. As first reported by Alex Speier, Boston struck a deal with Andrew Miller that essentially circumvents the waiver process.
Here's the basics - Miller
- How hitting is scored in ottoneu FanGraphs points leagues
- Justin Duchscherer Should Help O's
Over his last 169.2 innings pitched, Justin Duchscherer’s ERA+ is 160, which ain’t too shabby, as the kids say (Note: Kids don’t say this at all). Looking at other pitchers with similar innings
- Sam Miller Is the Boss of Word Clouds
It's without a trace of chagrin that I reproduce in these pages -- despite it having already been produced in everybody else's pages -- Sam Miller's word cloud experiment from his Angels Blog
- Justin Upton's Future Value
ships, Towers could take out an armada in a matter of minutes. Today's rumor du jour is that the Diamondbacks will be willing to listen to calls for young right fielder Justin Upton. In reality, most
- Will Steinbrenner Beat Out Miller for HOF
of looking at the Veterans Committee vote, and specifically the absence of Marvin Miller from the Hall, the question comes down to either, “How can you not have Miller in the Hall of Fame?”, or “Miller’s
- FanGraphs Audio: Justin Merry of Red Reporter
and/or Foolhardy Playoff Predictions
... and other make-or-break propositions!
Justin Merry (a.k.a. Justin Inaz) of Red Reporter and Beyond the Boxscore.
Finally, you can subscribe
- On Justin Upton
A player with a lot of hype surrounding him after the numbers he put up last year, Justin Upton has been a bit of a disappointment this year. Before the year began, some fantasy guru’s were
- Cliff Lee to Texas for Justin Smoak, Finalized
, he joins the division rival Texas Rangers, along with RP Mark Lowe. Coming back to Seattle will be Justin Smoak and three others according to this Joel Sherman tweet. This deal has also been
- Justin Smoak's Struggles
It's just one of those things. I feel good at the plate, but I hit it right at them.
-- Justin Smoak, to the Fort Worth Star Telegram
You can't just hit the ball hard and not get any luck
- Justin Verlander's Whiff Rate
In 2009, Detroit Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander took his performance to another level. The Old Dominion product punched out 7.19 batters per nine innings and issued 3.27 walks per nine frames
- Justin Masterson's Splits
When the Cleveland Indians shipped C/1B Victor Martinez to the Boston Red Sox last July 31st, the club picked up LHP Nick Hagadone, RHP Bryan Price and RHP Justin Masterson. Hagadone was the long
- The Island of Justin Morneau
Fun game of the day - mix and match collections of first baseman that equal Justin Morneau in value so far this year.
Morneau: +3.6 wins
Albert Pujols, Adrian Gonzalez, and Todd Helton: +3.6
- Andrew Miller's Iffy Future
Andrew Miller has two articles linked on his page. One directs to a RotoGraphs piece written by the Talented Mr. Bendix and clicking the other will lead to a detailed look at the tallest rotations
- Locking Up Justin Upton
of contract extensions for Mark Reynolds and Justin Upton. His answer was unsurprisingly ambiguous, though the copy editor played it up a bit in the headline. Seeing that headline, after finding through
- Justin Masterson's Value
to pay immediate dividends was Justin Masterson.
A 6-6, 250 pound specimen, Masterson was selected out of San Diego State in the second round of the 2006 draft. In its '06 draft coverage, Baseball
- Free Agent Fantasy Impact: Justin Duchscherer
Because he did not pitch this season due to elbow and mental issues, Justin Duchscherer will be passed over by many major league clubs as he enters free agency for the first time this offseason. Even
- Justin Verlander's Wicked Fastball
take notice. Justin Verlander added another notch to his fantastic season yesterday when he held the Boston Red Sox scoreless in eight innings at Fenway, helping the Tigers avoid a four-game sweep
- Justin Upton: Superstar
One of the stories of the first few weeks of the season was the struggles of Justin Upton. The 21-year-old began the season by going six for his first 36, striking out 12 times in failing to hit
- 2009 Impact Rookie: Adam Miller
What should we make of Adam Miller?
The right-handed pitching prospect has been frustrating the Cleveland Indians organization and its fans since he was selected out of a Texas high school
- Justin Morneau, RBIs and 1B Tiers
Justin Morneau checks in with an ADP of 20 in the latest rankings from Mock Draft Central. That makes him a mid-to-late second-round pick. However, it also ranks him as the sixth-best first base
- Justin Upton's Future
Yesterday, in the post about the players who have had comparable seasons to Matt Wieters Double-A performance last year, one commenter brought up Justin Upton, who didn't have a chance to have
- Miller Time in Florida
Andrew Miller may have been the unluckiest pitcher in baseball in 2008.
Miller posted a 5.87 ERA in 107 innings, and eventually earned a ticket back to triple-A. However, Miller’s BABIP was .346
- Justin Verlander: Ace, or Merely Above Average?
in the American League.
While the continued disappointment and injury issues concerning star-crossed righty Jeremy Bonderman got some attention, the majority will point to Justin Verlander's
- Have You Seen Justin Verlander's Fastball?
fastball drop significantly, and among that group is Detroit Tigers ace Justin Verlander.
In 2006, the only starting pitcher in baseball with a higher velocity average on his fastball was Felix