- Piffle: Another Winsome Etherview with Ken Arneson
Note: While the following isn't technically a book, it's very close to book-length. This was unintentional. On the plus side, Ken Arneson knows how to rock the mic right.
Readers will remember Ken
- Randy Johnson's Countdown
, the place where he transformed himself, and the city that has seen Ken Griffey Jr. return home might be on hand to witness Johnson's first attempt at win number 300.
If it happens, it would
- What Alex Rodriguez's Suspension Means for the Yankees
that they have another $24.3 million to spend and a hole at third base to plug. The Yankees have an outside shot at staying under the $189 million luxury tax rate. According to Joel Sherman and Ken
- The Daily Grind: 7-9-14 - Presented by FanDuel
something of Jake Petricka or Zach Putnam.
The Phillies could trade Jonathan Papelbon, which would open the door for Ken Giles. Smart clubs have gone out of their way to keep their best relief prospects
- Brad Johnson Baseball Chat -- 4/3/14
2:48MLB: 11:48Comment From Fantasy GuruBrad!!!!! I need your fantasy guidance this afternoon!!! Should I start Yordano Ventura in Detroit? Over/Under an ERA of 3.50? 11:49Brad Johnson: Because you
- Brad Johnson's 10 Bold Predictions
at RotoGraphs, it is customary to list 10 such bold picks; also Eno ordered me to do so.
1. Erik Johnson will be the second best starting pitcher for the White Sox
Johnson has good stuff
- Erik Johnson: Late Round Breakout Candidate
After five respectable outings in 2013, Erik Johnson will begin his rookie campaign as a relative unknown in the fantasy world. This season is just his third as a professional and his quick ascension
- Ken Griffey Junior Executive
Ken Griffey Junior Executive is nothing like a junior executive. Rather, at age 20, he is the Chief Executive of World Baseball Talent. He reports directly to Willie Mays himself.
- Media eInterviews: Ken Davidoff
Follow Ken Davidoff on twitter and you'll know that he is an even-handed and fair analyst of the game that is friendly to advanced statistics. If you're lucky enough to be an Optimum Online cable
- Ken Harrelson on the Banking Industry
The New York Times had a lovely piece yesterday on Ken Harrelson, White Sox broadcaster and sabermetric denier. We at NotGraphs caught up with him yesterday evening, while he was putting
- Ken Griffey, Jr.: Crimestopper
For many 9-year-olds the country over, the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey card was distinctly an Item of Interest. It was the No. 1 card in the company's inaugural set, and it featured Griffey, who
- Ken Caminiti's Goody Bag
"Ken Caminiti calls it his goody bag. The black and green duffel accompanies him on every road trip, along with his bats and the black mitt that helped him win his second Gold Glove award last season
- Q&A: Ken Singleton
Ken Singleton is among the most underrated players of his era. The former Expo and Oriole finished in the top 10 in OBP nine times from 1973 to 1983 — topping the .400 mark four times, and seven
- Kelly Johnson and Scott Sizemore: Deep League MI Options
Brad Johnson looked at what the A-Rod suspension means for the Yankees yesterday. Not long thereafter, New York added Scott Sizemore and Ken Rosenthal reported that the Yanks are unlikely to add another
- Poem with Lines Exclusively by Ken Rosenthal
Ken Rosenthal has something to say.
Like most men who wear bow-style ties without irony, very spry baseball reporter Ken Rosenthal is not immune to the charms of the beaux arts. As the following
- Marcel of Joy: An Etherview with Ken Arneson
in various Manet-inspired poses. (Please stop doing that.) And finally one guy, Ken Arneson, said that, while it might be impossible, he was trying real hard to do it and that the field of neuroesthetics
- GIF: Jim Johnson's Jim Johnson
Because Oriole Jim Johnson plays for the Orioles, there's a strong chance that no one -- perhaps besides his teammates and Buck Showalter and Buck Showalter's grizzled and nameless manservant
- Spotted: Ken Griffey Jr.'s Van
, immediately, I know what you're thinking: That can't be Ken Griffey Jr.'s van. But, look, here's my point, and please, hear me out: It probably is.
Either that's Ken Griffey Jr.'s van, or there's another
- Johnson's Domination
Johnson and his performance from 1999-2002.
For starters, here are some of his peripheral numbers in each of these seasons:
1999: 35 GS, 271.2 IP, 207 H, 75 ER, 70 BB, 364 K, 1.02 WHIP, 2.48 ERA
- Ken Rosenthal Is Getting a Little Bit Sexy
- Ken Griffey Jr. Hates Norm MacDonald
for baseball fans, is Ken Griffey Jr.'s reaction to MacDonald's set. First, after Norm makes a Hideki Irabu joke (around 1:05 on the video), the camera pans over to Griffey, who is not pleased at all
- More On Ken Griffey Jr.'s Career
Of course Ken Griffey Jr. is going to be a Hall of Famer. He's going to be a first ballot hall of famer at that, and deservedly so. "The Kid" was among the best in Major League Baseball throughout
- What Happened To Davey Johnson?
Davey Johnson on Joe Maddon:
"I don’t know him that well, but I thought he was a weird wuss anyways."
When did Davey Johnson become a grumpy old codger? Wasn't he the first guy
- What Is Davey Johnson Doing?
Here's newly minted Nats skipper Davey Johnson!
The discerning discerner will observe that also in this photo is a white orb of cowhide, something known in industry parlance as a "baseball
- Kelly Johnson's Redemption
Dropped from Braves at the end of 2009, Kelly Johnson found little interest in his services and ended up in Arizona on a one year contract paying him just $2.3 million. Arizona gambled that Johnson
- Pitcher Study: Josh Johnson
Is Josh Johnson still an ace?
The 2012 season had some encouraging signs after shoulder injuries cut short potential Cy Young campaigns in 2010 and 2011. Johnson posted a 3.81 ERA and 3.40 FIP
- Is Elliot Johnson Worth Starting?
Last year, Elliot Johnson was one of the worst hitters in the majors. With a 57 wRC+ backed by just four home runs, six steals, and a strikeout rate near 30%, Johnson's lackluster performance had
- Chris Johnson and Great Players
that people hardly notice. The leader in the National League right now is Chris Johnson, batting .342. Johnson didn't even begin the year as an everyday player.
Johnson went from the Diamondbacks
- Kelly Johnson: A DeRosa Alternative
dislike dealing in shadowy realm of rumor, Braves second baseman Kelly Johnson has been mentioned in multiple places as a non-tender candidate given his 2009 performance and replacement by Martin Prado
- Nick Johnson to New York
The Yankees have absolutely refused to stand pat this offseason. After adding Curtis Granderson in the first big trade of the winter, the Yankees have now agreed to terms with 1B/DH Nick Johnson
- Kelly Johnson: Slugger
As part of a critical five-run rally in the bottom of the fifth inning of yesterday's Phillies-Diamondbacks game, Arizona second baseman Kelly Johnson slugged his NL-leading seventh home run
- Josh Johnson's Extension
The Marlins locked up their most talented pitcher on Thursday, as they agreed to terms with 26-year-old SP Josh Johnson on a four-year, 39 million dollar contract. The deal will pay 3.75MM in '10
- A Small Randy Johnson Retrospective
As you have surely heard, Randy Johnson announced his retirement last night. Matthew took the first look at this, noting that he retires as someone who could be a three-win pitcher next year. Here
- The Return of Josh Johnson
Josh Johnson returned to the mound last night for the first time since April 21. The oft-injured 29-year-old (it still surprises me that he’s just 29) impressed against the Giants, throwing seven
- Josh Johnson's Curveball
We're happy to welcome Albert Lyu back to the FanGraphs team. His work will again appear regularly here on the site.
Before Josh Johnson was lost for the season with shoulder injuries in May, he
- Marlins Reel in Nick Johnson
Bedlam ruled the day of the trade deadline, and the Nick Johnson for LHP Aaron Thompson deal was no exception. The Nationals broke from their age old custom of clenching to tradeable players
- The Josh Johnson Dilemma
Earlier this year, Jack Moore reviewed Josh Johnson's inability to get hitters out while pitching from the stretch. Johnson and the Jays were very much aware of the situation, but even still, it did
- Ode on a Ken Phelps Starting Lineup Action Figure
- The Nick Johnson Quandry
offers a similar problem for GMs with a shopping list.
I'm speaking of Mr. Disabled List himself, Nick Johnson. His list of health problems is longer than a typical Joe Posnanski column
- Buying Low on Josh Johnson
It may surprise some, considering this high ERA and low strikeout rate compared to his career average, but Josh Johnson actually has the seventh highest WAR of any pitcher in baseball. Despite having
- Robbing Johnson of a Shot
(and the .227 batting average in 2008 just adds insult to injury). The move also keeps the underrated Rob Johnson from receiving the opportunity that he deserves.
Johnson, 25, was selected out of college
- Is Josh Johnson Back?
destined for an epic crash (click on the link, it's must-watch stuff). Owning Josh Johnson on a couple squads, I've felt a little of both.
Coming off of a serious shoulder injury in 2011, Johnson,28, had
- Randy Johnson Retires
Randy Johnson announced his retirement today. There are thousands upon thousands of words that could, and should, be written about Randy Johnson. His career numbers are remarkable. The mark he left
- Josh Johnson Heads to Canada
So as you all no doubt know by now, Josh Johnson was part of the trade of fantasy baseball proportions that is expected to be finalized at some point today. It's time for JJ to start trading in his
- Johnson Leads Florida's Rotation
projected them to be worse than the Nationals. Last night Josh Johnson won the game for the Marlins, pitching six innings of four-hit, one-run ball while striking out 6, walking only one and getting seven
- Kelly Johnson: Aging With Style
Fantasy owners hoped for a bounce back in 2012 after Kelly Johnson regressed in 2011 after a superb 2010 season. A second baseman with 16 HRs and 14 SBs normally would have a relatively high fantasy
- Recalling Jim Johnson
to the minors and recalled 24-yr old pitcher Jim Johnson. Johnson, a starter in the minor leagues, had made two "audition" starts for the Orioles in 2006 and 2007, racking up the undesirable line of 5 IP
- Will Erik Johnson Be Relevant?
He throws all four pitches, has solid velocity, a big solid frame, will begin the season in the White Sox rotation, and is a top 100 prospect. With all of that said, will Erik Johnson be worth
- Chris Johnson Heads to Arizona
for third baseman Chris Johnson. While the move gives the Diamondbacks and improved situation at the hot corner, it may not be so great for fantasy owners.
First of all, let's establish the fact
- No Love For Jim Johnson?
and there, but if they're healthy, they've always seemed to slide back into the job. So why, after 101 saves in the past two season....yes, that's right, 101...does Jim Johnson get no love?
I did a mock draft
- Lowrie and Johnson: Waiver Wire
be slotted in at SS, 3B, MI, CI, and UTL positions, which makes him a nice option to have coming off the bench as needed.
Chris Johnson (ESPN: 26 percent owned; Yahoo!: 25 percent owned)
- The Nick Johnson Stories
The phone rang, rattling in the glove compartment, but Nick Johnson did not hear it. He was already halfway to the creek. His boots crackled among the the skeletons of leaves scattered between
- Lessons in Procrastination II: Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball
Were there an award for longest NotGraphs post title, I'd have just won it. And were I to give a speech celebrating the acceptance of said fictional award, I'd only thank Ken Griffey Jr
- Can Kelly Johnson Bounce Back?
There might not be a more up and down player in fantasy than Kelly Johnson. After establishing himself as a useful fantasy second baseman in 2007-2008, Johnson completely fell off that radar
- Nothing Fishy About Josh Johnson
Heading into the 2007 season, Florida's Josh Johnson looked like an ace-in-waiting.
As a 22 year-old rookie in 2006, the 6-7 righty posted a 3.99 FIP in 24 starts and seven relief appearances
- Will Francoeur's Approach Work for Kelly Johnson?
It was shaping up as a disappointing season for Kelly Johnson in 2008 until a strong September. After three straight months of hitting .250 or less, Johnson posted a 22-game hitting streak
- The Yankees Infield
The Fab Five
I wrote about about McCann when he joined the Yankees from a non-fantasy perspective. I love
- The Daily Grind: 7-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Late: Miguel Gonzalez isn't a bad target if you're trying to coax a home run out of a cheap bat like Yangervis Solarte or Kelly Johnson.
The Indians versus Hector Noesi is one of the top stacking
- Game One According To Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB
video games. We'll start it out with an old standby: Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball for the Super Nintendo.
Remember kids, illegal emulation is wrong, except when it feels oh, so
- Johnson Leads WAR at Labor Day
, nearly 85% of the way through the season, is Florida Marlins ace Josh Johnson - not Roy Halladay, nor Ubaldo Jimenez, not Cliff Lee, not Felix Hernandez, and not CC Sabathia. Johnson is establishing
- Top 100 Spring Hitters by OPS
- The FanDuel Daily Grind: 3-31-14
. A few guys who make excellent targets include Wilson Ramos ($3,200, batting cleanup between Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper), Travis Snider ($2,600, batting second), and Chris Johnson ($3,100, batting
- Can Josh Johnson Fix The Stretch?
There have been plenty of good signs in Josh Johnson's return from a season-ending shoulder injury this year. His 2.98 FIP is excellent; he's striking out nearly eight batters per nine innings
- The Orioles Play in the Shallow End of Free Agency
Earlier in the offseason, the Orioles traded incumbent closer Jim Johnson to the Oakland Athletics for second baseman Jemile Weeks. Johnson was expected to earn $10 million in arbitration - a figure
- Lessons Learned From a Shallow Linear Weights Draft
before I would have grabbed him - and I was forced to take Jed Lowrie, Aaron Hill, and Kelly Johnson later in the draft.
In years past, the value hasn't been nearly as flat as it was this season
- The Daily Grind: 4-15-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Johnson's also been quite bad. The most worrying sign - his fastball velocity is down three mph. Get it together Johnson!
Shelby Miller looks broken says Dave Cameron. Ok, let's stack against him
- The Daily Grind: 4-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
% deposit bonus up to $200. Click here to win your seat ticket.
1. What not to do
Yesterday I was beaten in a tournament by a guy who played Cliff Lee, Chris Johnson, Evan Gattis, and B.J. Upton
- The Daily Grind: 4-24-14 - Presented by FanDuel
, but he's having trouble rolling ground balls and Baltimore is friendly lefty power hitters.
Let's try out the Rays against Erik Johnson at the Chicago Slugging Grounds.
I wish Carlos Villanueva
- The Daily Grind: 7-10-14 - Presented by FanDuel
peripherals. He has dealt some strong results, and the Cards will hope he replicates those tomorrow. I'm betting on a short outing and shaky command.
Kris Johnson will make his second start
- The Daily Grind: 7-21-14 - Presented by FanDuel
for a stack, but he's pitching at White Sox Cellular Field today.
T.J. House versus Kris Johnson has the right pitchers for stacking, but the Indians offense isn't great against lefties
- The Daily Grind: 7-23-14 - Presented by FanDuel
player. For the next two months, he'll call one of the best hitter stadiums home. Of course, I predicted big things for Brian McCann and Kelly Johnson this season, and we all know how that's turned out
- The Daily Grind: 4-8-12 - Presented by FanDuel
probably allow three or more runs over six innings.
Erik Johnson is a guy I'd like to recommend, but in Colorado? Against Colorado? That's an exploit waiting to happen.
Lucas Harrell AND Brandon Morrow
- The Daily Grind: 4-9-14
The two hitter friendly stadiums in this tier - Coors Field and Fenway - combine to have three exploitable pitchers. In Colorado, Juan Nicasio hosts Erik Johnson. In Boston, Robbie Ross has
- The Daily Grind: 4-30-14 - Presented by FanDuel
postponed again, he might get bumped altogether.
Who is Kris Johnson? He's a 29-year-old left-hander with solid minor league numbers. The Pirates gave him a cup of coffee last season if the name looks
- The Daily Grind: 5-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
matchup against Ramos.
Derek Norris will have the platoon advantage against John Danks.
C.J. Cron is a gem against Mark Buehrle.
I'd look to use Kelly Johnson and Yangervis Solarte in the New
- The Daily Grind: 5-21-14 - Presented by FanDuel
are the principle Indians who might like facing Chen.
Try out Kelly Johnson and Yangervis Solarte against Noesi. If you prefer to target Phelps, you can use Conor Gillaspie or Adam Dunn.
- Josh Johnson Finding Success in June
The month of June has been very kind to Josh Johnson. In 14.2 innings, the big right-hander owns a 1.84 ERA with impressive peripheral numbers to match: 16 strikeouts, just four walks, and no home
- Free Agent Bargain: Randy Johnson
Moving back to the mound in our series on free agent bargains, we find an interesting name - the tallest player in baseball and a sure fire Hall of Famer, you wouldn't think Randy Johnson would fly
- Two Expert Drafts, Minimal Starting Pitching
and draft strategies, I'm only aiming to give you a look under the hood. I hope you find something actionable.
The FOX league includes writers like Howard Bender, a different Brad Johnson
- The Daily Grind: 4-2-13 - Presented by FanDuel
can snag Kelly Johnson or Brian Roberts.
I'm looking forward to watching Roenis Elias and Jesse Chavez tomorrow. I've seen neither pitcher start and have watched Elias precisely zero times
- The Daily Grind: 4-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
-handed pitching, but that's a big might here in April.
Erik Johnson will be on the road against the Royals. It's not an easy matchup and I'd rather watch a few of his starts before jumping off
- The Daily Grind: 4-13-14 - Presented by FanDuel
): Chris Johnson isn't your prototypical power hitter, but he does bat cleanup most days and Hernandez is a fine matchup.
Sean Rodriguez and/or Logan Forsythe could be useful against Wei-Yin Chen
- The Daily Grind: 4-20-14 - Presented by FanDuel
And speaking of good stacks, Erik Johnson draws the Rangers matchup in Texas.
My last stack pick is the A's against Brad Peacock. I could go deeper - Roberto Hernandez is in Denver today
- The Daily Grind: 4-22-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Sebastien - four syllables, not three.
It's a Dayan Viciedo day. You could also try Juan Francisco against Chris Tillman.
Kelly Johnson is commonly owned for his
- The Daily Grind: 4-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
a decent pitcher.
The Rays stack is fantastic tonight against Erik Johnson in Chicago. The weather conditions aren't perfect, but they're good enough for some long balls.
The Brewers also have
- The Daily Grind: 4-26-14 - Presented by FanDuel
, you can continue to exploit Ryan Vogelsong.
Hitters (power): You can try Kelly Johnson against Garrett Richards.
Domonic Brown's ownership is declining. He might be worth a peek against McCarthy
- The Daily Grind: 5-1-14 - Presented by FanDuel
many cookies or tipping his pitches, he might give up a couple more home runs at home today.
A game between Kris Johnson and Red Patterson will produce entirely unexpected results. I'm referring
- The Daily Grind: 5-2-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Johnson, Yangervis Solarte, and any other Yankee who is mildly left-handed should be used.
Jonny Gomes seems to be batting fifth against lefties.
The Royals have been stubborn about playing Mike
- The Daily Grind: 5-5-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Alejandro De Aza is a decent power-speed play tomorrow. He'll face Edwin Jackson.
The bafflingly extended Chris Johnson should start against lefty Tyler Lyons.
- The Daily Grind - 5-13-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. Kelly Johnson and Yangervis Solarte will try to dink one down the line.
Matt Joyce and David DeJesus, come on down.
And while we're at it, let's see Michael Saunders, Justin Smoak, and Brad
- The Daily Grind: 5/14/14 - Presented by FanDuel
ERA contrasts with a 4.26 FIP and 4.46 xFIP.
The Marlins will use right-hander Anthony Desclafani who was acquired in the Reyes-Buehrle-Johnson mega trade. He appears to be a command and control
- The Daily Grind: 5-22-14 - Presented by FanDuel
, cold, but he also hits better as a lefty.
Maybe C.J. Cron will send one long tomorrow.
Kelly Johnson and Yangervis Solarte are worth a look see.
All manner of Cleveland lefties are worth a try
- The Daily Grind: 5-24-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Because you haven't targeted enough Yankees hitters this weekend, whip out the lefties against Andre Rienzo.
Hitters (power): Chris Johnson has a platoon advantage. Too bad he no longer bats
- The Daily Grind: 5-26-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Hitters (power): C.J. Cron Sees a Lefty would make for an interesting children's book if he didn't see so damned many of them.
Kelly Johnson and Yangervis Solarte will have
- The Daily Grind: 5-30-14
If the Rockies are aware of park factors, they'll sit Michael Cuddyer for a day so their all-lefty outfield can play. A start for Corey Dickerson would be nice.
- The Daily Grind: 6-5-14 - Present by FanDuel
of day to try Kelly Johnson or Yangervis Solarte.
Here's the regular posting of Matt Joyce and David DeJesus.
Jonny Gomes will be in the lineup to face Drew Smyly.
Derek Norris mashes
- The Daily Grind: 6-6-14 - Presented by FanDuel
in Arizona tomorrow, which is an actual hitter friendly locale (unlike Atlanta). They're opposed by Wade Miley. I expect fireworks.
Hitters (power): Chris Johnson is probably among your league's available
- The Daily Grind: 6-10-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Very few Atlanta hitters are freely available. Chris Johnson and Dan Uggla are two of them. Andrelton Simmons might be another. In Colorado, I'd consider any and all of them
- The Daily Grind: 6-21-14 - Presented by FanDuel
will get the call versus Tommy Milone.
Maybe Kelly Johnson will lay into a pitch against Tillman. I expected more out of him this season.
Hitters (speed): Leonys Martin sometimes draws top
- The Daily Grind: 7-5-14 - Presented by FanDuel
which is why I recommend taking a share of Seth Smith against Tim Lincecum.
Marcell Ozuna makes for a nice target against Gonzales.
Chris Johnson and Andrelton Simmons are two Braves I might sneak
- The Daily Grind: 7-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
pure power plays tomorrow.
Eric Campbell should start at first for the Mets. He seems ok in a Dan Johnson sort of way.
Ryan Raburn and Yan Gomes are worth a look against Danks.
- The Daily Grind: 7-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
with rookie Robbie Ray on the hill.
Dan Johnson, Juan Francisco, and Colby Rasmus look like options against Lewis.
Hitters (speed): Mookie Betts will also start for the Red Sox.
- The Daily Grind: 7-26-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Johnson deserves some consideration for a day.
If Zach Sanders is to be believed, Kendrys Morales is already locked into the cleanup spot for the Mariners.
I popped Conor Gillaspie and Adam Eaton
- The Daily Grind: 7-31-14 - Presented by FanDuel
runs is identical to Turner Field, so you can treat them as you normally would.
Hitters (power): Chris Johnson is probably the only freely available Brave. Maybe Andrelton Simmons.
- The Daily Grind: 8-1-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Fuld, Gerardo Parra, Chris Denorfia, Stephen Drew, Kelly Johnson, and Emilio Bonifacio.
2. Daily DFS
It's all together today. We have a lot of pitchers to stack against
- Chris Johnson: Darling of the Waiver Wire
he will probably cease to provide the kind of value for which his new owners are hoping. Especially in light of reports that Chris Johnson wouldn’t lose playing time now that Freddie Freeman has
- Kelly Johnson, an Elite Second Baseman?
The league leader in WAR for second basemen? Kelly Johnson. I made some pretty bold predictions in our staff-wide preseason series, one of them being that Matt Kemp will not even get to 30/30
- Josh Johnson Earning His Contract
Justin Morneau has the highest WAR in baseball right now, but you probably knew that. Know who is second?
Josh Johnson. With another dominating start last night, the Marlins ace has now thrown
- Things to Buy: Will Johnson Baseball Art
Doctor Cyclops, by Will Johnson
When I am sad, I like to spend money. Because I am often sad, I am in big time mondo debt, as many of you know. At the moment, my cash flow is such that I cannot
- Kelly Johnson, Quintessential Rays Acquisition
This afternoon, it was reported that the Rays will ink Kelly Johnson to a one-year deal. It’s an interesting match, as Johnson provides the Rays with the one thing that they like -- a player who has
- 21 Players Whose Fielding Could Affect Their Fantasy Value
- Josh Johnson's Creative Contract With the Padres
The news is breaking now. It seems that Josh Johnson has gotten $8 million dollars from the Padres to pitch in 2014, according to Jerry Crasnick. By itself, that is an interesting match -- Johnson
- Comparing Livan Hernandez and Randy Johnson
Prior to the start of the 2009 season, the thought of comparing Livan Hernandez and Randy Johnson was ludicrous. Mets fans rolled their eyes when the club signed Hernandez while Giants fans were
- Micah Johnson: Wheels...and What Else?
(fourth if you count the Mexican League), a full dozen behind White Sox second base prospect Micah Johnson, who has blazed his way to 54 thefts in 66 contests.
Anybody who produces that sort of stolen
- A Look at Today's Pitchers: 10-5-13
- Continuing Coverage of Joe Kelly, or Kelly's Wild Night
- The Grand Slam That Almost Wasn't
- An Inauspicious Night for Will Middlebrooks
- Select 2013 World Series Moments as Viewed by ChampAdded
- Far East Rumors and Game Theory
- Why Do We Use MPH?
- The Yankees and McCann: A Perfect Match
- The Astros Begin the Long Climb
- Don't Expect Big Changes in Philadelphia
- Did Somebody Screw Up Carlos Gomez's Scouting Report?
- The Phillies Take the Middle Road
- A Data-Centric View on Why the Phillies May Want to Avoid Losing
- The Royals: Curiouser and Curiouser
- The Pitcher Who Did the Most With the Least
- The Rays Need Their Depth Early
- Dodgers Make a Low Risk Investment in Rotation Depth
- The Players' Association May Target Qualifying Offers
- On the New Collision Rules at Home Plate
- Projection Leaderboard Fun Courtesy of ZiPS and Fans
- Pick `Em: Arizona's Shortstop Conundrum
- 2014 Positional Power Rankings: Right Field
- Tough Decisions: Gregory Polanco
- The Marlins First Week Juggernaut
- Long Balls Plaguing Brandon McCarthy
- Scouting Dean Anna as a Pitcher
- Lineup Genius in Cleveland
- Colorado's Canny Outfield Platoon
- The Angels' Reluctant Strike Throwers
- Ottoneu Arbitration: A Guide for 2014
- Domonic Brown Goes Mashing
- B.J. Upton: Living in the Basement
- Leonys Martin: To Platoon or Not to Platoon
- Bryce Harper: A Catch-34
- Alfonso Soriano: Barring Injury
- Christian Yelich: Modest Success
- Josh Reddick: Mr. Replacement
- Healthiful, Flavorful, Venable
- Michael Bourn: To Steal a Base
- Gerardo Parra: Back to the Platoon
- The Quietly Consistent Nick Swisher
- Barnes in New Pastures
- David Murphy: A Platoon of His Own
- Stephen Strasburg: Not Quite Elite
- Cole Hamels is a Model of Consistency
- What Should We Make of Tim Lincecum
- Patrick Corbin: A Tale of Two Halves
- Zach McAllister: Fit for Streaming
- John Lackey is Relevant Again
- Cliff Lee: Still Studly
- Valuing Your Last Roster Spot
- Lance Lynn's Fatal Flaw
- Sonny Gray for Ace
- Ivan Nova Regresses
- Dillon Gee Has a Confusing Season
- Ottoneu Strategy Corner: Consideration About Value
- Ottoneu Strategy Corner: Sending Signals
- Danny Salazar Can Throw That Speed Ball By You
- Michael Wacha Requests Your Attention
- Nathan Eovaldi and the Top Heavy Repertoire
- Jarred Cosart and the World's Worst 1.95 ERA
- The Endowment Effect is Your Enemy
- Aroldis Chapman Is Still Ridiculous
- When Should You Pay for Elite Relievers?
- Kenley Jansen Is Increasingly Amazing
- Elite Relievers in an Ottoneu Points Format
- Ottoneu Strategy Corner: Various Offseason Trade Strategies
- The Padres Outfield
- The Giants Bullpen
- The Dodgers Rotation
- The Diamondbacks Rotation
- The Athletics Outfield
- The Athletics Rotation
- Jarrod Parker: Outstanding in One Way
- Lessons From My First Mock
- What I Learned From Jeff Sullivan Learning About WAR
- The Pirates Outfield
- The Cardinals Rotation
- The Royals Infield
- Beware of Sleepers
- A Collection of Five Category Hitters
- Prospects in Ottoneu: Additional Thoughts
- The Phillies Rotation
- The Phillies Infield
- The Rays Rotation
- The Rays Outfield
- So Your Keeper League Has Too Many Fire Sales...
- Fantasy Baseball Isn't Poker
- Some Relievers Who Are Maybe Possibly Good Targets
- Stolen Topic: Three Players I Won't Draft
- Eight and a Half Observations Using ZiPS Projections
- Relievers Who Have SP-Eligibility in Yahoo
- Lessons From a Botched Yahoo Draft
- Nomination Strategy Guide
- The Obvious Risk of Drafting to Trade (And Bold Pick #11)
- The Cruel Power of Suggestion
- Drew Hutchison Begs Your Attention
- 10 Fantasy Relevant Predictions (Not Very Bold)
- Thoughts About Speed, ISO, and Fantasy Baseball
- Five Potential Breakouts
- The FanDuel Daily Grind: 3-28-14
- The FanDuel Daily Grind 3-29-14
- The FanDuel Daily Grind 3-30-14
- The Daily Grind: 4-1-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The 30 Gassiest Relievers - Ridiculously Early Results
- The Daily Grind: 4-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Risers and Fallers From Week One
- The Daily Grind: 4-5-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-6-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-7-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-10-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- April Meltdowns Bring May Flowers
- The Daily Grind: 4-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Strategic Reminders
- The Daily Grind: 4-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-14-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-16-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Five Players to Sell High
- The Daily Grind: 4-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Five Buy High Pitchers
- The Daily Grind: 4-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- How to Make Your Head Hurt Thinking About Trades
- The Daily Grind: 4-21-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Travis Wood: Real Fantasy Pitcher?
- The Daily Grind 4-27-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-28-14 - Present by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 4-29-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Four Players Who Pass the Eye Test
- Three Pitchers Who Do Not Pass the Eye Test
- The Daily Grind: 5-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-6-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-7-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-8-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Six Swingers to Avoid
- The Daily Grind: 5-9-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-10-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-15-14
- Six Worm Murdering Hitters
- The Daily Grind: 5-16-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Select Home Run Park Factors, Visualized
- The Daily Grind: 5-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-20-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Sometimes It Pays to Make a Bad Trade
- The Daily Grind: 5-23-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-27-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-28-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 5-29-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Dallas Keuchel, Further Reviewed
- Five Select Players, Heat Mapped
- The Daily Grind: 5-31-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-2-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Team Performance by Pitcher Handedness - Two Months In
- The Daily Grind: 6-7-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-8-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-9-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Roto 101 - Analyzing The Standings
- The Daily Grind: 6-13-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-14-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-15-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-16-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Billy Hamilton - Better Than We Thought?
- The Daily Grind: 6-20-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- A Fire Sale But Not A Liquidation
- The Daily Grind: 6-24-14
- The Daily Grind: 6-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-26-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Ongoing Fire Sale Coverage - Lessons
- The Daily Grind: 6-27-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-28-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-29-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 6-30-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-1-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-2-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-7-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-8-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Power of a Compliment
- Continued Ongoing Fire Sale Coverage
- The Daily Grind: 7-13-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Tricks of the Trade - Tips for the Stretch Run
- The Daily Grind: 7-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-22-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Selling An Elite Keeper for More Keepers
- The Daily Grind: 7-24-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-28-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-29-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 7-30-14 - Presented by FanDuel
- Chris Johnson: The Flavor of Wonder Bread
As we continue to examine Zach Sanders' Third Base End of Season Rankings, let's scroll down to number 22 where we find Arizona's Chris Johnson who, according to the calculations, produced a $3 value
- Pouring One Out for Nick Johnson's Career
RIP, Nick Johnson's career. Mourn ya 'till I join ya.
- Don't Bring In the Lefty for Kelly Johnson
three years, and Joey Votto isn't far behind him. What might surprise you is the name that sits in the 34th spot out of the 150 qualified hitters: Kelly Johnson.
At a .382 wOBA against lefties since
- Nick Johnson Retires, FanGraphs Weeps
Eight times on base. Had Nick Johnson reached base just eight more times in his ten-year career, he would have become just the 41st player in history to leave the game with a .400+ OBP (min. 3,000 PA
- Randy Johnson: Just for Men Pitchman
(Get it, pitchman?)
Because when I want to advertise a beauty project, I call Randy Johnson!
This advertisement just adds
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Josh Johnson
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: Josh Johnson.
- Nick Castellanos is Channeling Chris Johnson
- Streaming Weekend Starters: Johnson and Straily
you be in panic mode for wins and strikeouts, a mode in which the author of this post resides in at least two leagues. So let's get to it.
Yes, Steve Johnson. Johnson, who slogged
- Kelly Johnson: Why the Low AVG?
Kelly Johnson came into the season a fairly decent option at second base. In one keeper league I was in, him and Ben Zobrist were both available. I considered them to be at the same talent level
- Ken from Marketing Attempts Small Talk re: Baseball
- The Probably Top Indication Josh Johnson Is Classical Scholar
The top indication that major-league right-hander Josh Johnson is a classical scholar used to be the paper he wrote on the theme of sal (or "wit") in the work of the Neoteric poets and which
- Cubs Sign Reed Johnson; Scrappers Celebrate
On Wednesday morning, the Chicago Cubs came to an agreement for a one-year deal with free agent OF Reed Johnson. The Cubs are no strangers with Johnson -- three of the last four times Johnson has
- Micah Johnson, Gordon Beckham And Chicago's Crowded Keystone
On Tuesday, the White Sox promoted second baseman Micah Johnson from Double-A to Triple-A. In 2013, Johnson split the season between A and High-A, with a brief taste of Double-A, compiling a .312
- Kelly Johnson's Return to Career-Year Form
boosts. Loney's contribution thus far has been probably the most surprising, but almost equally as significant for the 2013 Rays has been the hitting of second-baseman-turned-left-fielder Kelly Johnson
- Inserting Brian Kenny, Susan Slusser, Ken Rosenthal, and Mike Piazza's Names Into Works of Literature For Some Reason
reporter Ken Rosenthal, and former catcher Mike Piazza’s names into a revered representation of the Western Canon, thus making it much louder and unlisten-to-able.
In today’s episode, self
- Third-Place Diamondbacks Buy Chris Johnson
silly for the team to buy Chris Johnson from the Astros today. For the team to give up two legitimate prospects for Johnson, they must see him as a longer-term solution at the position.
- Concerning Jim Johnson and Groundball Relievers in General
Despite leading the AL in saves, Orioles closer Jim Johnson is having a rough year compared to 2012 when he posted a 2.51 ERA and saved 51 games in 54 opportunities. Early in 2013, an enthusiastic
- How Much is Jim Johnson Really Worth in Fantasy
Jim Johnson has 42 saves. You own closers for saves. Ipso facto bingo blatto, Jim Johnson is an elite fantasy closer.
-- or --
Jim Johnson has 36 strikeouts in 58.1 innings. The average
- Daily Notes: Mostly Ambulant Nick Johnson Retires
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of the Daily Notes.
1. Assorted Headlines
2. Table: Nick Johnson's Walk Rate in Context
3. Three Images: Venezuelan Winter
- Kelly Johnson's Trade, Kevin Towers, and Strikeouts
(perfectly understandable, as Branyan has continued to struggle this season with the Angels). Brandon Allen was hardly given a chance before being dealt for a reliever. And finally, Kelly Johnson, whose
- Johnson Traded for Hill and McDonald: Fantasy Implications
What to expect from Kelly Johnson in Toronto – Kelly has been a disappointment this season, mainly for his inability to make contact (27.4 K% vice a career 20.9 K%) and get a hit (0.257 BABIP vice
- J. Hoffpauir, C. Johnson Recalled from Triple-A
Encarnacion. He could have some short-term fantasy value in AL-only leagues if the Jays opt against moving Jose Bautista to third more frequently.
Houston Astros recalled 3B Chris Johnson from
- Waiver Wire: Ben Revere and Chris Johnson
be able to help your squad out: Ben Revere and Chris Johnson.
With Denard Span still on the disabled list and reportedly still feeling a tad woozy from his concussion, Ben Revere
- Jays Ship Hill to Arizona for Kelly Johnson
The Blue Jays shipped fan-favorite John McDonald and fan-hated Aaron Hill to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Kelly Johnson. Strangely, even though Hill is the only player with a possible contract
- Dan Johnson & Jordany Valdespin: Deep League Wire
Dan Johnson | 1B TOR | CBS 1% Owned
Half the Blue Jays offense is on the disabled list, which resulted in the well-traveled Johnson to get the call to fill one of the team's many holes
- Chris Johnson: Surprise Batting Average Crown Contender
and even bunt hits. Chris Johnson isn't exactly the picture of a batting average leader, and yet, he finished second in the National League with a .321 mark, which ranked fifth in baseball
- Closers Trending Up: Guerra, Johnson, Marshall
competition. Even so, it looks like he is gaining more and more control of the ninth inning in Los Angeles.
Johnson was another relative uncertainty in the closer role before
- Five Minutes with Chris Johnson: BABIP Brave
Last week, Jeff Sullivan wrote about Atlanta Braves third baseman Chris Johnson. The article addressed the 28-year-old’s surprisingly stellar season, which has him leading the National League
- Carp, Lind, Allen, Johnson: First Base Notes
. He did lose his outfield eligibility last year, and the lack of flexibility definitely hurts.
Nick Johnson | Orioles | Owned: 0% Yahoo! and 0.2% ESPN
It's been nearly two years since Johnson
- Carlos Triunfel & Elliot Johnson: Deep League Wire
at the moment.
Elliot Johnson | ATL 2B/SS | CBS 2% Owned
Surprise, surprise, Fredi Gonzalez has tired of a veteran's slump and has chosen to start a weak hitting veteran instead. Dan Uggla's
- Russ Canzler, Dan Johnson, and the Quad-A Label
There's something strangely fitting about the fact that both Russ Canzler and Dan Johnson have found new homes in the last 24 hours. Canzler was traded yesterday from the Rays to the Indians for cash
- Waiver Wire: Todd Helton and Chris Johnson
to appreciate him in the end.
Chris Johnson, HOU |3B| Ownership: ESPN - 22.5% Yahoo - 29.0%
A little more than a month ago, our own Dan Wade recommended using Johnson as a potential fill-in/injury
- Polanco, Johnson, Roberts, Espinosa: 2B Showdown
% and below.
The 4 players I will be looking at today are Placido Polanco, Kelly Johnson, Ryan Roberts and Danny Espinosa. Here are their ownership rates and stats so far this year
- Nick Johnson on his .400 Career OBP
Nick Johnson needs a typical Nick Johnson season to secure his legacy. Not as an injury-prone first baseman -- that’s his other legacy -- but as an on-base machine. The 33-year-old left-handed hitter
- Hawpe, Loney, Johnson: Cut Your 1B Losses
to get him back to that point right now.
Dan Johnson | Rays | .130/.190/.204, 1 HR, 3 RBI
A trendy late-round pickup in deeper leagues, Johnson has reminded everyone why the vast majority of his
- Q&A: Pierce Johnson, Chicago Cubs Pitching Prospect
Pierce Johnson is learning to pitch. That’s bad news for opposing hitters, because the 6-foot-3 right-hander has big-league-quality stuff. It’s good news for Cubs fans, as Chicago’s north-side team
- Q&A: Kelly Johnson, Sabermetrically Savvy FA
Kelly Johnson may or may not be a Toronto Blue Jay next season, but wherever he ends up, he promises to have a better year with the bat -- regardless of how many times he strikes out. The free-agent
- GIF: Kelly Johnson's Backhand Flip Ooh La La
The Blue Jay Hunter was at it again last night, capturing, for our viewing pleasure, another hot GIF, this time of Kelly Johnson's defensive wizardry in Kansas City.
It was the kind of play
- Arizona Raids Non-Tender Market, Adds Kelly Johnson
After a disappointing season with Atlanta, 27 year old 2B Kelly Johnson was non-tendered and hit the market. In a deal made official on Wednesday, Arizona added Johnson for one year and $2.35M, who
- Davey Johnson Pitches Idea for New Coen Bros. Film
to Fla." –Davey Johnson twitter.com/MLB/status/276…— MLB (@MLB) December 4, 2012
- Happy Al Martin Luther Hackman Jeff King Ken Griffey Jr. Day
- White Sox Call Ups: Marcus Semien and Erik Johnson
confident that he can be a regular in the majors. His ISO numbers are not incredible in the minors, but for a middle infielder he packs an interesting combination of power and speed.
- A Josh Johnson Slider You Can Just Keep Watching
All things considered -- or just, like, one thing considered -- Marlins right-hander Josh Johnson had rather a poor game Saturday night (box). He pitched only three innings, for example, but conceded
- Johjima Leaves M's; Johnson and Moore Move Up Depth Chart
of the picture, Seattle's internal options behind the dish are Rob Johnson and Adam Moore.
Johnson, 26, split time with Johjima this past season. The University of Houston alumnus is known more for his
- One Night Only: Doc Halladay v. Big Johnson
Marlins: Josh Johnson (NERD: 10)
77.0 IP, 9.00 K/9, 2.81 BB/9, .286 BABIP, 48.5% GB, 4.8% HR/FB, 3.25 xFIP
Phils: Roy Halladay (NERD: 10)
93.0 IP, 7.45 K/9, 1.26 BB/9, .302 BABIP, 53.4% GB, 4.3
- James McDonald, Kyle McClellan, Josh Johnson: NL Starting Pitchers
Josh Johnson, Marlins
When Johnson was put on the DL with shoulder problems, it sounded like the Marlins were just being cautious. Now, Johnson isn’t going to be back when he’s eligible
- Why the Toronto Blue Jays Need to Extend Josh Johnson
In the Marlins deal last November, Josh Johnson was the main headlining piece along with Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle. Then the Blue Jays added R.A. Dickey in December and the starting rotation looked
- Braves Scoop Up Useful Paul Maholm and Reed Johnson
The Braves are taking a long-term risk for a short-term gain in trading Arodys Vizcaino and Jaye Chapman for Reed Johnson and Paul Maholm. The most talented player in the deal is obviously Arodys