- Turning to Freddy Garcia With the Season on the Line
Clayton Kershaw again, so, yeah, this isn't a great situation -- and are turning to Freddy Garcia in this win-or-go-home game. Yes, the Freddy Garcia who turned 37 yesterday, and has had a season
- Daily Notes, Largely Concerning Luis Avilan's Curve
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of Daily Notes.
1. Featured Pitch: Luis Avilan's Curve
2. Today's Notable Games (Including MLB.TV Free Game)
- Confounding: Are the Rockies Rebuilding?
- The Rockies’ One Through Eight: the Small Successes and Failures of Lineup Construction
- A Hall of Fame Moment, Parsed and in Context
- Luis Perdomo Dislikes Thrillers
Back in the early part of the summer I wrote about Padres’ long-man Luis Perdomo. To call him a mop-up man is being generous. His average leverage index is 0.26, which is almost half of the next
- Luis Valbuena: Bueno, or No?
This is an article about Luis Valbuena. What follows might be rendered moot if Kris Bryant wins the Cubs' third base job out of spring training next year. Even if Bryant doesn't do so, he's probably
- A Luis Severino Update
After his first nine Major League starts, Luis Severino has somehow failed to excite any of us RotoGraphers enough to convince us to write an article about him. So here it is, finally. Before
- Freddy Garcia Is Staying Alive
Rare is it when a pitcher’s ERA, FIP, and xFIP are in a state of complete accord. Nearly as rare is Freddy Garcia pitching more than 100 innings in any given season during these twilight years of his
- Cardinals Extend Jaime Garcia
The St. Louis Cardinals moved today to lock up one of their important young pieces, signing pitcher and potential ace-in-the-making Jaime Garcia to a four year contract worth $27.5 million. The deal
- Keeper Question: Jaime Garcia
Garcia missed most of the 2009 season after undergoing the procedure following the 2008 season. In his first full season back, Garcia not only pitched quite well, he did so in the majors, having
- Forgotten: Lefty Jaime Garcia
Cardinals left hander Jaime Garcia almost opted for professional baseball in his native country of Mexico in 2005. But area scout Joe Almaraz convinced Garcia to sign with the St. Louis
- Spoiler Alert: It's Garcia Time
is handing the ball to Freddy Garcia, former Mariners and White Sox great, who won a ring with the White Sox in 2005.
Garcia spent last season with the Phillies, though most of it was not actually
- Avisail Garcia's Uncomfortable Situation
Look at the rumors for the White Sox. They concern a certain part of the team. Though the club is ostensibly starting Melky Cabrera, Adam Eaton, and Avisail Garcia in the outfield, they're supposedly
- Jaime Garcia: The Groundball Machine
What do you think is higher: seasons played by or DL stints for Jaime Garcia? That’s probably an easy one. What about Garcia’s innings v. DL stints? I’ll tell you that he has thrown 660 innings
- FanGraphs Audio: In the Clubhouse with Luis Exposito
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks to catcher Luis Exposito, who recently made his major-league debut with Baltimore not long after being DFA'd by Boston.
- Freddy Garcia: Value in Pinstripes?
Freddy Garcia did not even make our initial AL starting pitcher rankings. After a strong start to the season, at least on the surface, in a month's worth of work, the question is whether this old
- Bourgeois & Garcia: Waiver Wire
like the elite baserunners, he's going to help your team.
Freddy Garcia | SP | Yankees | Ownership: 29% Yahoo!, 45.7%
The Yankees decided not to blow their prospect wad on a starting pitcher
- An Apology to Luis Valbuena and Dioner Navarro
Luis Valbuena struggles against fastballs, and is Michael-Jackson-bad against all other pitches. In an alternate world in which the Cubs actually cared about the difference between 61 and 65 wins
- Pursue the Next Ayala, Not Luis Himself
Jim Bowden tweeted over the weekend that six teams were pursuing reliever Luis Ayala. The list of suitors included progressive teams like the Red Sox, Yankees, Rays and Blue Jays. Since these teams
- Should the Phillies Sign Luis Castillo?
The news that the Mets had released Luis Castillo this morning was hardly a shock, as it has been speculated on for months now - neither side was particularly happy with the marriage, and the Mets
- Luis Valbuena: Toronto's Starting 2B?
starting second baseman in Luis Valbuena. Valbuena, 26 this week, had no shot at meaningful playing time while stuck behind Asdrubal Cabrera and Jason Kipnis, and he has done his best Juan Castro
- Spotted: Karim Garcia Homering Importantly
major-leaguer Karim Garcia, currently of Mexican club Yaquis de Obregón.
In tonight's edition, we find a another grainy daguerreotype -- in this case, not of Garcia being walked intentionally
- Yankees Bolster Their Rotation with Luis Severino
of top prospect Luis Severino may have been the primary reason for the Yankees' inaction. Minutes after the non-waiver trade deadline had passed, Brian Cashman revealed the 21-year-old's next start
- Historical GIF: Luis Tiant's Father, 1975
Some men smoke a cigarette after making love. Other, more virile men -- like Luis Tiant, Sr., for example -- smoke a cigarette while making love. It's a practice borne out of necessity, of course
- Jaime Garcia's Return Key for Cardinals
Eleven innings after his departure Jaime Garcia's return to the Cardinals' rotation was buried by the absurdity of one of the season's longest games. After battling back from one run down in the 16th
- Freddy Garcia and the Value of Broken Starters
From 2001 to 2006, Freddy Garcia posted six consecutive seasons with 200 or more innings pitched, and while he wasn't an ace, he was an above average durable starting pitcher. That skillset helped
- Jaime Garcia Is the New Adam Wainwright
was a perfectly reasonable projection.
Perfectly reasonable until we realize that Jaime Garcia is the new Adam Wainwright.
As Garcia climbed the minor league ranks, he seemed to have some potential
- Luck and Skill Converging for Jaime Garcia
If not for Ubaldo Jimenez's continued dominance, Jaime Garcia might be the big story of the National League right now. Garcia pitched six shutout innings last night, holding the Padres to just three
- I Don't Get It: Avisail Garcia
. That extends to congratulating others on "good" picks. Avisail Garcia is one player who always garners a pat on the back. If you can't tell, I don't understand the love. I'd like to. I'm open
- Spotted: Karim Garcia on First Base
First, Karim Garcia was Baseball America's seventh-overall prospect. Then, he played on at least 11 different teams in at least four different countries. Then he hit a single in the bottom
- NLCS Scouting: Greinke vs. Garcia
Why, hello to you too.
Toinght, 8:10pm: Zack Greinke vs. Jaime Garcia.
Zack Greinke (3.83 ERA, 2.66 SIERA)
Greinke has spawned a Twitter war this afternoon, as everyone seemingly wants
- Milone and Garcia: NL Starting Pitchers
struggles with runners on base.
With a month of the season left to go, Garcia has thrown almost exactly the same number of innings he threw last year with the exact same number
- Christian Garcia: The Nationals' K-Rod?
Christian Garcia, 27, came up from the minors this month and has struck out seven against two unintentional walks in six innings of work. The only run he's allowed came on a Giancarlo Stanton solo
- Belated Bat-Flip Coverage: Luis Valbuena Singles
For years, Luis Valbuena's minor-league resume seemed to suggest that he could develop into an entirely serviceable major-league infielder. For almost as many years, that didn't happen
- Prospect Watch: McMahon, Rondon, and Garcia
***Jarlin Garcia, LHP, Miami Marlins (Profile)
Level: Low-A Age: 21 Top-15: N/A Top-100: N/A
Line: 15 IP, 13 H, 6 R, 17/4 K/BB, 2.40 ERA, 2.60 FIP
It's hard not to like a lefty who
- Luis Perdomo: The Ultimate Low-Leverage Reliever
Everyone suspected Luis Perdomo’s usage and the score of the game would have a relationship built upon by managerial artifice and desire to slowly transition Perdomo from Double-A to the majors. Thus
- Cubs Swap Luis Valbuena for Dexter Fowler
surprised that the Cubs shipped Luis Valbuena to the Astros in exchange for Dexter Fowler and Dan Straily.
Valbuena and Fowler are somewhat similar players, as both draw a lot of walks and have average
- Spotted: Karim Garcia Getting Walked Intentionally
It's not immediately clear to the author what set of circumstances might have led to the six intentional walks recorded by Karim Garcia during his 10-year major-league career. Whatever
- Luis Sardinas: Best SS You've Never Heard Of
In heading to Greenville, South Carolina for an early September pair to see the Hickory Crawdads (Rangers), no prospect interested me more than shortstop Luis Sardinas. A few days earlier, a contact
- Luis Cruz & Johnny Giavotella: Deep League WW
are a pair of middle infielders who might actually contribute.
Luis Cruz | LAD SS/3B | CBS 11% Owned
Cruz has been a career minor leaguer, racking up an astounding 4,891 plate appearances
- Luis Severino and Defining the Debut Adrenaline Effect
league debut was full of butterflies for Owens. And so it was for Luis Severino. Just in a different way than most.
We don't have the debut date for every pitcher in the PITCHf/x era, but we do
- Jaime Garcia Pitching to Contact with Ace Stuff
outs to form an incredibly effective pitcher. A half-decade after Duncan's retirement, one of his former pupils, Jaime Garcia, is throwing strikes, getting ground balls, and keeping hitters off balance
- Luis Valbuena Is Suddenly A Line-Drive Machine
Despite extremely low ownership rates (5% Yahoo, 3.5% ESPN, 14% CBS), Luis Valbuena has performed well enough so far this season to make himself mixed-league relevant. The 28-year-old currently owns
- Nearly Perfect: Jaime Garcia's 2011 Season
much: Jaime Garcia. I knew enough about him to know he'd had a great 2010 season (2.70 ERA, 3.41 FIP) and was still quite young, but due to being a Rays fan, I'm not as well versed on the National
- WS Scouting: Colby Lewis vs. Jaime Garcia
How wonderfully awkward.
The last time Colby Lewis and Jaime Garcia faced off, we were treated to one of the best pitcher's duels of the World Series. Jaime Garcia shut down the Rangers for seven
- Avisail Garcia, Dayan Viciedo, and Giving Up on Potential
on Avisail Garcia in the short term to some degree.
Garcia, in his age 24 season, is in line to be the primary right fielder on the south side with fewer than 500 career plate appearances
- Hot GIFs: Freddy Garcia Is Duly Impressed
), during which game Cuban emigre Yoenis Cespedes hit a home run that compelled veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia to discover physics again for the first time.
For the benefit of the reader, who
- Alex Rodriguez and Avisail Garcia: Waiver Wire
to make his mark in the majors. Avisail Garcia has only played 12 games with his new club, but he's shown signs of life. Both players deserve to be owned more.
3B Alex Rodriguez 61% owned
- Avisail Garcia & Dee Gordon: Waiver Wire
of the rest. Figure the regular waiver articles are geared more towards leagues with 14 teams or fewer. So with that, here's who I think is worth grabbing and holding onto for the year.
Avisail Garcia, CHW
- Davis, Smoak, Drew, Garcia, Carrasco: DL Returnees
and see how the situation unravels once he returns. If he starts, keep him. If he is just a bench player, ditch him.
Freddy Garcia (finger, 18% owned) – Garcia is a nice play for a team desperate
- The Daily Grind: Final Trades, Ross, Garcia
Final Deadline Deals
Daily DFS - Ross, Nola
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - Garcia, Flande, Lamb, Holt
1. Final Deadline Deals
There were many deadline
- Prospect Impact: Hicks, Arcia, Garcia and more
: Tigers sign OF Torii Hunter
PROSPECT IMPACT: OF Avisail Garcia
For a change, maybe the Tigers will avoid rushing one of their prospects. Garcia, in fact, has already been rocketed through the system
- Jesus Montero: Cabrera, Konerko, or Karim Garcia?
- Trevor Plouffe and Luis Perez: Deep League Waiver Wire
average. He has a little bit of speed, so could swipe a couple of bases, but you're really just banking on some long balls from Plouffe.
Luis Perez, TOR SP | 3% Owned
After pitching as a starter
- "Freak of Nature": Baseball's Garcia Found to Violate Major Scientific Principles
Some two years ago, a split-finger fastball thrown by pitcher Freddy Garcia stumped experts by seeming to defy the Magnus effect -- the force that makes a curveball curve. Physicists eventually
- Deep League Third Base: Luis Valbuena and Ed Lucas
One of those answers seemed to be waiver wire darling Luis Valbuena, who through April and May was hitting .264/.372/.464 with six home runs and 17 RBI. He was a player that seemed to have decent
- Position Battles: Mets' 5th Starter, Pt. 1: Freddy Garcia
-compensated league-average starter?
New York also enters spring training with an open competition for the fifth-starter's role, featuring a former rotation horse (Freddy Garcia), a Washington retread (Tim
- Prospect Impact: Jackie Bradley, Bryce Brentz, Leury Garcia
Prospects earlier this offseason
ACTION: Rangers sign Jeff Baker to minor league deal
IMPACT: INF Leury Garcia, Rangers
For all the pub that Jurickson Profar (deservedly) receives, fellow