- Mike Hazen's First Big Decision
Yesterday, the Diamondbacks introduced Mike Hazen as their new general manager and head of baseball operations, who is taking over for Dave Stewart after a two-year failed experiment in their front
- Reviewing 2016 Spring Starting Pitcher K% Surgers & Breakout Candidates
Nicasio25.0%40.7%26.9%1.9%Mike Leake15.3%29.2%16.5%1.2%Patrick Corbin21.9%28.2%18.7%-3.2%Hector Santiago20.9%26.5%18.3%-2.6%Kyle Hendricks22.6%26.4%22.8%0.2%Kyle Gibson17.7%25.7%15.9%-1.8%
- History, Peaks, and Mike Trout: The Five-Year Update
It's possible, if not probable, that the BBWAA will fail to elect Mike Trout next month as the American League's Most Valuable Player for the fourth time in five years, a near half-decade-long
- Mike Montgomery: The Cherry on Top?
not the move we need to talk about. The Chapman acquisition is important, but its impact is boringly straightforward. The more intriguing move was the acquisition of another left-handed pitcher: Mike
- Mike Podhorzer’s 2016 Bold Predictions - A Review
- The Actual Difference Between Mike Trout and Mookie Betts
become an annual custom, one of the primary points of contention is whether to give the AL MVP to Mike Trout, far and away the best player in the game.
Rosenthal, who definitely ascribes value
- Mike Trout and the Need for Logical Consistency
On Monday night, Ken Rosenthal wrote something of a plea to his fellow BBWAA members; stop looking for reasons to give the MVP award to anyone besides Mike Trout.
My fear is that in 20 years people
- Anthony Rendon Is No Mike Trout, But
We can all agree that Mike Trout is probably the best player in baseball, right? And if Mike Trout is the best player in baseball, that means Anthony Rendon is not the best player in baseball, right
- Mike Montgomery is No Ordinary Sixth Starter
It's not as if the Chicago Cubs' trade for started-turned-reliever-turned-starter Mike Montgomery came cheap. Dan Vogelbach isn't a top-flight prospect, but with plus power and a solid plate approach
- The Case for Mike Trout for American League MVP
awards winners live on MLB Network. Given the way the public conversation is going and the way voters have traditionally cast their ballots, it appears likely that someone other than Mike Trout
- A Very Mike Trout Home Run
Last night, Mike Trout went 3-for-6 with a double, a homer, two runs, and an RBI. The Angels won, 8-2, over the Blue Jays, but let's get back to that home run. Here's what Mike Trout's body looked
- Mike Zunino Awoke From His Nightmare
he has saved the Red Sox behind the plate. It's a heck of a story.
Mike Zunino isn't the best hitter in baseball, but if you set the plate-appearance minimum even lower, then he shows up
- August xBABIP Update: The Overperformers
of replacing Mike Moustakas in Kansas City, but he pops up too often to sustain a .348 BABIP. That said, he likely has limited trade appeal, so owners might have to deal with the inevitable drop in batting
- 2016 AL Starting Pitcher Tiers: August
year and obviously has the injury history. He's a mixed league starter while in the rotation.
- 2016 RoS Starting Pitcher Strikeout Rate Surgers
SurgersPlayerStr%L/StrS/StrF/StrK%xK%K%-xK%Mike Foltynewicz66.4%29.8%16.1%28.2%21.6%24.5%-2.9%Jordan Zimmermann67.3%27.6%12.4%28.8%15.2%17.3%-2.1%Nathan Eovaldi65.0%28.0%15.8%27.1%18.6%20.6%-2.0%Steven
- Projecting the Prospects in the Mike Montgomery Trade
the 23-year-old slugger for unheralded -- yet effective -- reliever Mike Montgomery and Double-A hurler Paul Blackburn. Triple-A pitcher Jordan Pries also heads to Chicago in the deal.
Dan Vogelbach, 1B
- Mike Foltynewicz Is Almost There
next year, if Teheran goes away. Looks like there could be a fine internal option. If you want to think about the next No. 1 of the Braves, might I interest you in Mike Foltynewicz?
- Here's How Mike Trout Is Evolving
the attention they can get. But still, there's Mike Trout. The current leader in position-player WAR is Mike Trout. Over the past calendar year, the leader in WAR is Mike Trout. Going forward
- Field of Streams: Episode 190 - Stuck With Mike Leake
Episode 190 - Stuck With Mike Leake
The latest episode of “Field of Streams” is live!
In this episode, Dylan Higgins and Matthew Dewoskin discuss James Shields earning a win with the White
- 2016 AL Starting Pitcher Tiers: July
frequently until the league adjusts.
It's been six starts and Paxton continues to throw in the high 90s, while throwing more strikes than ever before. This is a legit breakout.
- Mike Trout Wants Your Curveballs Now
Mike Trout is, once again, the league leader in position-player WAR, and league leaders in position-player WAR tend to do some incredible things. Trout just did an incredible thing on Monday, and we
- 10 AL SP SwStk% Surgers
, or change in pitch mix driving the spike. Let's find out.
SwStk% SurgersNameSwStr% 2016SwStr% 2015DiffDanny Duffy17.3%8.4%8.9%Matt Shoemaker14.2%9.1%5.1%Chris Tillman10.1%7.1%3.0%Mike Pelfrey7.9
- More Shocking Home Run Totals
, has Mike Trout inhabited Betts' body?! Betts has more home runs and more steals than Trout. He's just four shy of his 2015 home run total, which was a level I thought he would stabilize
- 2016 AL Starting Pitcher Tiers: June
to throw this year after about 100 last season?
I dropped Sonny Gray a tier, not sure what to do with him. When will he be back and was his injury the explanation for his struggles?
- The One-Third Season Mike Trout Update
We're doing it. It's happening again. We're forgetting about Mike Trout. It's like collectively, we're a second-grade teacher with a real-life wizard in our classroom and yet we never call on him
- Michael Bourn & Michael Feliz: Deep League Waiver Wire
with nary a save. When your choice is a strong middle reliever or Mike Pelfrey, you should choose the right Mike or Michael.
- Let's Try to Spin the Mike Moustakas News
Mike Moustakas is out for the rest of the season on account of a torn ACL, which he sustained in a foul-territory collision with Alex Gordon, which also injured the other guy. Gordon is out for a few
- Mike Morin Has Baseball's Silliest Changeup
The slowest changeup thrown by an Angels pitcher does not belong to Jered Weaver, he of the 82-mph fastball. No, it belongs to right-handed reliever Mike Morin, whose fastball has touched 95
- Cheslor Cuthbert & Cody Asche: Deep League Wire
Cuthbert | 3B KC | CBS 3% Owned
Over the weekend, incumbent Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas landed on the disabled list with a fractured thumb. While the team expected Moose to be out just two
- xBB% and Potential Pitcher Walk Rate Regressers
Walker3.052.3%7.8%-5.5%Jake Odorizzi3.804.9%9.6%-4.7%Luis Severino3.674.3%8.1%-3.8%Mike Fiers3.802.8%6.6%-3.8%Jose Quintana3.385.1%8.3%-3.2%Tyler Chatwood3.845.3%8.4%-3.1%Rick Porcello3.095.1%8.0%-2.9%Josh
- The Garrett Richards Injury and the Mike Trout Question
money away from being good again.
And that reality prompts the obvious question: is it time to think about trading Mike Trout?
You never want to be in a position where you're potentially
- 2016 AL Starting Pitcher Tiers: May
. Only innings and injury concerns keep him from jumping two tiers in this update.
Patti (Josh’s Mom)
- The Continued Ascent of Mike Moustakas
one of the more consistent outfielders in the game, in a variety of ways. It was probably even more true of Mike Moustakas, who as recently as 2014 spent time in the minor leagues. And yet, here we
- Pineda and Severino and Buchholz and Fiers, Oh My
not exactly a great target, but owners should hold tight and hope the health cooperates.
Mike Fiers has posted the fourth highest HR/FB rate in baseball. You can't blame the home park, as Miller Park
- Mike Zunino & Jerry Sands: Deep League Waiver Wire
, but will cost you next to nothing to find out.
Mike Zunino | C SEA | CBS 4% Owned
Remember him?! The former top catching prospect was one of the best pitch framers in both 2014 and 2015, but his
- Bryce Harper Is Catching Up to Mike Trout
Since the 2012 season, the question of the best player in baseball has been pretty boring. Mike Trout busted onto the scene with a +10.3 WAR season as a 20 year old, and he's since dominated
- Buying Sleepers at a Discount
. Of course, I'm not talking about acquiring the Mike Trouts of the world, those top picks who just so happen to be hitting .200 at the moment, with two RBI, and nothing else. No, one week is far too
- 2016 AL Starting Pitcher Tiers: The Untiered
of moving to the bullpen is Mike Fiers. But we all know that Fiers is the far superior pitcher and it would be silly for them to choose Feldman over Fiers. So we have both performance and innings
- 2016 AL Starting Pitcher Tiers: April
Rich Hill is clearly the name that stands out here. I honestly could have placed him in just about any tier below this and not been asked about it. Because, really, we
- Mike Podhorzer's 2016 Bold Predictions
- 2016 Spring Starting Pitcher K% Surgers & Breakout Candidates
to their projection. These are the guys you might want to go the extra buck on.
2016 Spring SP K% SurgersNameTBFSOK%Juan Nicasio592440.7%Mike Leake651929.2%Patrick Corbin852428.2%Hector
- 2016 AL Tout Wars Auction Recap
- Steamer and I: Yasiel Puig
It's back to another Steamer and I, as I compare my Pod Projections to the Steamer forecasts and identify players we disagree on most. Last time, I switched gears, discussing Mike Trout, who
- Steamer and I: Mike Trout
Bogaerts, who I discussed last week. Obviously, I'm not going to talk about him a second time. So instead, I move down the list and find a big surprise - 2014 MVP Mike Trout. I debated whether
- The Next Item on Mike Trout's To-Do List
It's not that anything more needs to be done. It's not like Mike Trout desperately needed to fix the hole in his swing, lest he be in danger of suffering a complete collapse. Things were going just
- Mike Scioscia on Analytics
Mike Scioscia has a reputation as an old-school manager who has little interest in analytics. He doesn’t want you to believe that. The extent to which you should is subjective. Scioscia certainly isn
- Combining Arsenal Scores and Stuff to Evaluate Pitcher Performance
and Mike Foltynewicz.
These two metrics try to get at similar answers, but go about it in a different manner. For this analysis, I wanted to see how these two metrics could be combined to predict
- Don't Forget This Key Piece of Snake Draft Prep
your personal ranking in. If Mike Trout is your top rated player and his rank of 1 is in cell A2, then your formula is =ROUNDUP(A2/[Teams in League],0). Then change [Teams in League] to the number
- 5 Hitters With Major HR/FB Downside
Ramirez58276.520.963.814.9%19.2%4.3%Mike Trout114293.422.467.721.4%25.3%3.9%Justin Smoak52286.526.467.621.5%25.4%3.9%Jeff Francoeur57272.019.956.010.3%14.1%3.8%James Loney70244.522.214.171.124%3.7%3.7%Mark
- 8 Hitters With Major HR/FB Upside
%10.8%-1.8%Jedd Gyorko85288.919.159.415.5%13.7%-1.8%Victor Martinez101278.019.249.28.9%7.2%-1.7%Mike Moustakas134276.218.361.912.9%11.2%-1.7%Chase Utley72270.118.554.78.7%7.0%-1.7%Danny
- 2015 Standard Deviation of Distance Leaders
%Travis d'Arnaud67.815.0%Mike Trout67.725.3%Justin Bour67.721.5%
The average (not weighted by fly balls) HR/FB rate of this group was 20.7%, nearly double the league average
Forget about Joc
- The Sleeper and the Bust 01/22/2016 – Special Guest: Mike Petriello!
The latest episode of “The Sleeper and the Bust” is live!
Follow us on Twitter
Marcell Ozuna (4:24)
Garrett Richards (7:56)
- J.T. Realmuto as Bizzaro Mike Piazza
related to that thing. As Ben Lindbergh recently noted, Mike Piazza was known as a horrible throwing catcher during his career and that colored his entire defensive perception. Yet our modern metrics look
- Mike Ilitch Gives His Money to Justin Upton
that. More often than not, a team gives in, and few should be surprised the team that gave in Monday was the Tigers. As always, all Mike Ilitch wants is to win. He'll now get to watch his team try
- 2015 Average Absolute Angle Leaders
AAA counts the same as Mike Trout's) average AAA was 20.7% in 2015.
2015 Average Absolute Angle LeadersNameAvg Abs AngleHR/FBCorey Seager61.919.0%Wilson Ramos29.215.8%Jean Segura28.65.3%Kennys
- Reviewing The Starting Pitchers that Baffle the Rankers: Outside the Top 100
was horrible. He's a total crapshoot this year, but hey, he's certainly worth a shot in the dark in NL-Only leagues.
Comparing the Rankers: Mike Fiers NAMEJeffDanMikePaulZachActualMike
- Mike Leake and the Importance of Showing Up
Mike Leake is going to be paid $16 million dollars a year for the next five years. It seems to have people up in arms. This is why MLB ticket prices keep rising!
Mike Leake isn’t an elite pitcher
- How to Justify the Cardinals' Mike Leake Contract
Word for a while has been that Mike Leake was looking for a five-year contract worth something in the neighborhood of $80 million. The most recent thing we wrote about him was called The Upcoming
- Indians Take Good Gamble On Mike Napoli
Many baseball things happened yesterday. One of them was that Mike Napoli, late of the Angels, Rangers, Red Sox, and, hey, Rangers again, signed a one year, $7 million deal with the Cleveland Indians
- The Upcoming Mike Leake Mistake
to the table. Another half-dozen starters are likely to put pen to paper in the next few days, and it's a pretty safe bet that most of the contracts aren't likely to end well.
Mike Leake, who
- Does Yasiel Puig Reemerge as a ManBear again?
in his standard deviation of distance offset the decline and resulted in an xHR/FB rate of 18.4%, just a bit higher than 2014's xHR/FB rate of 17.0%.
Now you might be thinking, "wait Mike, ummm
- Mike Pelfrey Gets Two Years from the Tigers
The Tigers just signed Mike Pelfrey to a two-year deal worth $16 million. The big right-hander has a good fastball, a penchant for licking his fingers, and a split-finger that's decent for grounders
- Did Mike Ilitch Accidentally Suggest Possibility of Collusion?
On Monday, the Detroit Tigers held a press conference to introduce their newest acquisition, Jordan Zimmermann. As has become customary on these occasions, Tigers' owner Mike Ilitch attended
- Mike Trout, Four Years In
to truly be called veterans at this point. All of these greats all reside in the shadow of the best young player of them all, however: some guy named Mike Trout.
With a little luck, or perhaps some
- Getting Mike Trout to 168.4 WAR
For the third time in four years, Mike Trout finished as a runner-up MVP. Trout had a compelling case, but Josh Donaldson was a deserving winner. Even if you think Trout should have won, you're
- The Mike Moustakas Breakout Happened!
I wrote a lot about Mike Moustakas heading into the 2015 season. First, I asked whether there was any hope for the man affectionately known as Moose Tacos. Although if you stared closely enough
- History, Peaks, and Mike Trout: The Year Four Update
We've gone exactly one day without baseball, so it's probably time to write another post about Mike Trout.
The framing device I used the first time I wrote this post was LeBron James. I'm
- Yoenis Cespedes and the Mike Trout Treatment
We all learned something about Mike Trout last year. If you didn't, that means you weren't reading enough Jeff Sullivan, and that's your first mistake. Trout's natural swing plane carries through
- Reviewing the 2014 xK% Overachievers, AKA: The Downsiders
from terrible pitcher to arguably one of the five (three?) best pitchers in baseball. Unbelievable.
2014 K% -- 27.7%
2015 K% -- 23.7%
Fiers was a trendy sleeper heading
- Welington Castillo Enjoys Power Surge
in Mike Zunino, who at this point hadn't hit himself out of a job just yet. So naturally after recording just 28 plate appearances, Castillo was sent packing for the second time in about two weeks, when
- Reviewing ESPN Home Run Tracker Analysis: The 2015 Downsiders
, his steals dried up. It will be interesting to see how he's valued next year.
2014 -- 16.7% HR/FB
2015 -- 14.8% HR/FB
It's always a risk to call for further downside for a player
- Reviewing ESPN Home Run Tracker Analysis: The 2015 Upsiders
mark on this method of identifying home run upside.
2014 -- 9.4% HR/FB
2015 -- 11.2% HR/FB
There it is! The first correct name on this list. And hey, I even predicted
- Mike Podhorzer's 2015 Bold Pitcher League Leaders - A Review
. In this case, it took the form of a decline in HR/FB rate to an unsustainably low mark. That said, he should remain a top NL pitcher.
0 for 6
WHIP - Mike Fiers
The thought process here was a fly
- Mike Podhorzer's 2015 Bold Hitter League Leaders - A Review
. Obviously, this season he posted the second lowest RBI total of his career.
0 for 3
Runs - Mookie Betts
I figured it would be Mike Trout to beat, but it was actually Josh Donaldson who led
- On Finishing a Disappointing 2nd in AL Tout Wars
the free agent pool and was helped by a nice run by Mike Fiers upon his trade to the Astros. The only other pitcher to provide me with meaningful innings from free agency was Martin Perez and his results
- Mike Podhorzer’s 2015 Bold Predictions - A Review
- Which Pitchers to Start Tomorrow 9/30/15
decision in all leagues.
Mike Pelfrey @ Carlos Carrasco
I could never forgive myself if I gave Pelfrey a thumbs up. Nope.
Thank you poor HR/FB rate luck for making Carrasco slightly cheaper next
- Why Mike Trout Ain't Right
Hector Santiago. They look to the stars who aren't pulling their weight, and one can't help but note that Mike Trout hasn't quite produced like himself. Like many of his teammates, Trout's been
- The Disappointing Byron Buxton & Small Samples
to lose interest in him. While it's unfair to compare him to Mike Trout, remember that he posted just a .296 wOBA over 135 plate appearances during his 2011 debut and then exploded the following year
- So You Want an Edge Against Mike Trout
thinking about the hitter. It was in the top of the seventh that Verlander faced Mike Trout for what would be the last time, and I was reminded of something Sam Miller pointed out a couple years ago. All
- Was Mike Fiers Cheating During His No-Hitter?
When you think pitching and greatness it’s unlikely you think of Mike Fiers. Well Friday, Mike Fiers threw a no-hitter against the Los Angeles Dodgers, so in your face. Of course, I’m kidding
- Who Is the Real Mike Montgomery?
of situations, a club is lucky to receive a fringe prospect in return. In this case, however, the Mariners were able to acquire the Rays' version of Ramirez in lefty Mike Montgomery. His services were
- Six Lightly Owned Home Run Contributors
him a couple of homers. Either version is a solid one for a fantasy owner, but we can't be sure which we'll get the rest of the way.
Travis Shaw | 1B/3B BOS
Mike Napoli's departure opened a gaping
- The Mike Moustakas Half Miracle
Yost decided to open the season with Third Basemen Mike Moustakas batting 2nd in the lineup.
Yost has not been known as a Manager who favors making decisions based on recent statistics
- Abraham Almonte & Chris Johnson: Deep League Wire
as the list of hitters who manned center field for any number of innings this season was underwhelming. It included names like Mike Aviles and Tyler Holt, along with Michael Brantley who is the team's
- JABO: Mike Trout Has a New Trick
As he celebrates his 24th birthday, it's worth asking if there's anything Mike Trout can't do. In any case, there apparently is one more thing he can do.
It got lost in the haze of the week
- 2015 AL Starting Pitcher Tiers: August
After giving us hope in May that his strikeout rate was on the way up
- Young Pitchers Potentially Facing Innings Limits
. The club apparently doesn't have any specific innings cap set for McCullers. But, they now feature six starters after the acquisition of Mike Fiers. And at the moment, indications are they are going
- Trading for the Final Two Months
now back from the DL, I am stubbornly refusing to keep him benched, despite his awful season so far. But I have players who deserve to start (well, that's arguable, as I'm starting Mike Napoli at Util
- The Opposite Effect: Mike Moustakas Edition
guessed from the title, I've taken a keen interest in Mike Moustakas smacking the ball to the opposite field this season, a new development for the left-handed hitting third baseman. He owns an impressive
- Mike Montgomery: The Prospect Phoenix
Mike Montgomery is on fire. He has risen from the ashes of old Baseball America Prospect Handbooks to all of a sudden become a key piece of the Mariners’ rotation. Podhorzer tried to get you on board
- 2015 AL Starting Pitcher Tiers: July
isn't in order.
Still buying Hutchison's 3.76 SIERA.
- Mike Moustakas Is Reverting Back to Mike Moustakasness
Coming into this season, the major league career of Mike Moustakas had been underwhelming. Underwhelming is probably kind, really. After being the second overall pick in the 2007 draft (behind David
- The Smartening Up of Our Competitors
*First picked up the week of April 27, posting a 4.69 ERA/3.39 xFIP since
This is not a list of elite arms. I purposely left off those names like Carlos Carrasco
- JABO: The Newest Attempt to Retire Mike Trout
I've had something of an obsession. I feel like it's an understandable one, but that's the way everyone feels about his/her own obsessions, so let me explain a little bit. Mike Trout's the best
- Mike Bolsinger's Breaking Ball(s)
Step one for Mike Bolsinger was throwing a unique curve.
Only eight players in 2014 had a smaller velocity difference between their fastball and curve, and his curve is two ticks faster than
- How Much is Too Much to Acquire Mike Trout?
It's the holy grail for any team competing for a fantasy title, maybe even more so in a 5x5 league - the opportunity to add Mike Trout mid-season (assuming, you know, that you did not have him PRE
- Six Starting Pitchers With Strikeout Rate Downside
. These are the pitchers whose xK% are well below their actual K%.
Warning: these are very good pitchers!
Mike Fiers | 25.6% K% vs 21.7% xK%
In the comments of yesterday's upside article
- Mike Foltynewicz is Pretty Good
I'm a sucker for velocity. If a pitcher throws hard enough, I'm willing to forgive more warts on their profile. With that in mind, I've fully accepted Mike Foltynewicz as a viable back
- 2015 AL Starting Pitcher Tiers: June
will remain well below the .293 league average.
- Mike Montgomery & Tyler Collins: Deep League Wire
to uncover a gem. Probably a little of both. Here's to hoping my streak has ended and better recommendations are in my future!
Mike Montgomery | SP SEA | 5% Owned
If Montgomery's name sounds familiar
- Roster Trending 6/1: Is the Juice Worth the Squeeze?
Mike Bolsinger | SP LAD | 39%, 76%
Given the many injuries to the Dodgers rotation, Bolsinger was given an opportunity and has made five starts, posting a pristine 1.15 ERA. Naturally
- Carlos Carrasco & Carlos Carrasco
defenders, like Mike Aviles anywhere on the infield, and Jerry Sands and David Murphy anywhere in the outfield. Unless major injuries strike, these mistakes shouldn't happen again, meaning the Indians
- Tsuyoshi Wada & Mike Bolsinger: Deep League Wire
above .500 and should be a presence in the NL wild card race for the rest of the summer. He’s easily worth a roster spot in most NL-only leagues.
Mike Bolsinger / SP / Los Angeles Dodgers / 14
- By Request: Mike Trout Facts!
As kind-of-requested in the comments section of a recent Mike Trout-centric article, here are some fun Mike Trout facts!
***all statistics, ages, etc., are as of May 13, 2015***
1. From May
- Mike Trout Fixed His Only Problem
We've had fun, but this might be the last post I ever write about opposing pitchers trying to work Mike Trout upstairs with good heat. It's not that I'm tired of it. I didn't think I could ever grow
- HR/FB Rate Surgers Through the Lens of Batted Ball Distance
- MIke Foltynewicz Needs to Mix Up His Fastballs
Mike Foltynewicz’s future role for the Atlanta Braves is still in doubt. He brings a high-90s four-seam fastball that should play well out of the bullpen or as a starter, but his secondary offerings
- Mike Trout and One-Man Teams
Mike Trout’s exploits are well known, but no matter how well Mike Trout plays, his team will not succeed without productive play from others in the lineup. Mike Trout is not the first great player
- 2015 AL Starting Pitcher Tiers: May
Weaver drops two tiers! I had
- Mike Bolsinger to the Rescue
as he joins the Tommy John Surgery waiting list.
The Dodgers have gotten by in the early going without relying on a single fifth starter, instead giving one start each to Mike Bolsinger, David Huff
- The Starting Pitcher Strikeout Rate Surge Candidates
- The Cleveland Defense Is A Different Kind Of Problem Now
in which infielder Mike Aviles, who had had all of 5.2 career innings in center field entering the season, was allowed to remain in center during a ninth inning in which a 3-0 Cleveland lead became
- Milwaukee's Untimely Collapse
and Mike Fiers all showed the best versions of themselves; and if a surprisingly expensive bullpen led by Jonathan Broxton and Francisco Rodriguez and Neal Cotts became a mini-version of the Royals
- Pitching to Mike Trout: 2015, Vol. 1
interesting: pitching to Mike Trout. I've probably written about this 10 times. I'll probably write about it another 100 times. Many of you are probably sick of it. I might never grow sick
- When the Angels Held Back Mike Trout
reading Mike's proposed rule changes; Nathaniel's examination of what the Players' Association could do next; and Jason Wojciechowski's appeal to ethical business practices over at Beaneball.
- Mike Moustakas Hit One Out to Left-Center
became an actual decent big-leaguer.
You follow? Yeah, you follow. And, while you're following: Monday, in Kansas City, Mike Moustakas hit an opposite-field home run. It's considered to be his first
- The Reds Actually Chose Kevin Gregg Over Aroldis Chapman
a case of one of baseball's best players turning around a good pitch, because hey, even Felix Hernandez gives up homers to Mike Trout. That wasn't this. This was a mess from the start, as Gregg never
- The Sophomore Report: Billy Hamilton, Mike Zunino...
. The downside to all of this is that Joseph, 28, doesn’t have much of an offensive game — other than the odd homer — and the majority of his value is tied solely to his defensive abilities.
- 2015 Positional Power Rankings: Starting Rotations (#16-30)
flipped Mike Montgomery for him, and don't count out Burch Smith or Everett Teaford for a spot start. It’s a complicated situation right now. The good news is that time inexorably marches forward, so
- The Anatomy of a Mike Trout Double Play
) and mentioned, in passing, that Mike Trout happened to be the very best at that particular thing last season.
As a quick refresher course, I've created an entirely underwhelming flowchart which I believe
- 2015 AL Starting Pitcher Tiers: April
Well this is quite
- 2015 Bold Pitcher League Leaders
WHIP - Mike Fiers
I sorted my Pod Projections by WHIP and was rather shocked to see Fiers ranked seventh in the National League. Despite failing to average 90 mph with his fastball, he's been
- Trying To Optimize The Rockies Rotation For Coors Field
how to dig into Kendrick's numbers, I paused. Maybe, really, that's the biggest problem here. Ever since the Mike Hampton and Denny Neagle debacles, the Rockies have long had terrible difficulty
- 2015 Bold Hitter League Leaders
- Mookie Betts
Mike Trout has led the league in runs scored for three straight years, so anyone not named Trout is going to be bold! I decided to stick with the Red Sox theme here. It make sense
- Random Auction Musings
know your draft slot isn't number one? I want the opportunity to buy Mike Trout for $48 damn it! Okay, enough standing on my pedestal and rehashing why I think auctions are best. Let's just talk about
- Mike Podhorzer's 2015 Bold Predictions
- The Great Valuation System Test: The Divisive Players
- The Great Valuation System Test: The Results
, it's actually the SGP method that I abandoned over 10 years ago. The R-squared also suggests that it performed like the Mike Trout of valuation systems, with a meaningful gap between it and the next
- It's Time To Fix Baseball's Broken Service Time System
systems have him for between a 129-132 wRC+ -- and yet, there’s almost no chance that he’ll actually be on the Cubs’ Opening Day roster. Enjoy Mike Olt and Tommy La Stella for the first two weeks
- Tim Lincecum's Last Best Chance
and Yovani Gallardo and Scott Kazmir. Say hi, Mike Leake and Hisashi Iwakuma and Mat Latos, and also Justin Masterson and Kyle Lohse. There's Bud Norris and Ian Kennedy and Wei-Yin Chen out there as well
- Steamer and I: Jose Abreu & Giancarlo Stanton
outfield prospect Mike Stanton?" It seems absolutely ridiculous now, but in 2009, it was apparently a valid question, as a whopping 42% (604 votes) of voters preferred Revere!
So which side do you lean
- Handcuffing Addison Reed with Evan Marshall
roster, handcuffing him with Evan Marshall seems to be a good idea.
The soon to be 25-year-old Marshall had a solid year last year in 57 games. He struck out 54 batters in 49.1 innings and had a 17.6
- The Death Of Head-First Sliding, Hopefully
Ben Zobrist, 13
Billy Hamilton, 2
Brandon Crawford, 2
Yasiel Puig, 2
Mike Napoli, 1 (included so I could share this)
Dustin Pedroia, n/a (led to offseason surgery)
Those are some names
- The Nature of Mike Trout's Problem
The default introduction: Mike Trout is among the least-troubled players in baseball. By WAR, you could split him into four or five parts and have four or five decent everyday players, at least given
- The Starting Pitchers that Baffle the Rankers: Outside the Top 100
is a selection of starting pitchers ranked outside the top 100 who we greatly disagree about.
Over an abbreviated season
- The Starting Pitchers that Baffle the Rankers: The Top 100
innings! Now it's on to the head-scratchers.
Surprise, surprise, we cannot seem to agree on an elite arm
- The Hitters that Baffle the Rankers: Outside The Top 100
disagree with most among the rest of the hitters.
Alvarez suffered through his worst offensive
- The Tigers Aren't The Phillies Just Yet
something of an odd offseason for a team that should be as "win-now" as anyone else in baseball, as much for the way their roster is constructed as for the well-known idea that the aging Mike Ilitch wants
- The Hitters that Baffle the Rankers: The Top 100
I debated including Gattis as I didn't want catcher valuation to become the talking point. But Gattis' ranking
- My 2015 LABR Mixed Draft Review
23.341 Mike Moustakas - Is the Moustakas breakout upon us? I can't be sure, but it was a cheap enough price to find out. He'll compete for corner infield/utility time with my two soon-to-be-discussed
- Rick Porcello's Upcoming Enormous Payday
this before Giancarlo Stanton or Mike Trout signed their extensions. We all knew a guy like Stanton was going to get paid, but it's his youth that got him paid. It's why you can very reasonably argue that Jason
- The 2014 xK% Overachievers, AKA: The Downsiders
he'll be excellent again, just not sub-3.00 ERA excellent.
Mike Fiers -- 25.2 xK%, 27.7% K%
Fiers has become quite the trendy sleeper over the last couple of months. And I'm fairly certain
- Ken Giles: Because the Phillies Deserve a Bright Spot
, the heater got only 15.3% whiffs, while the slider picked up 33.9%.
Apparently passed from Brad Lidge to Justin De Fratus to Giles, it looks like this, specifically when it's making Mike Trout miss
- The Mike Moustakas Breakout is Upon Us
At the end of October, I asked a very serious, important question -- Is There Any Hope For Mike Moustakas? I was quite negative, which is something that is hard not to come away feeling when staring
- ESPN Home Run Tracker Analysis: The Upsiders
actually end up coming as a decent value.
Mike Moustakas -- 13%
The breakout is near! Seriously, it might be. And xHR/FB rate agrees. His distance jumped to a career high, driving a 13.6% xHR/FB
- ESPN Home Run Tracker Analysis: The Downsiders
round, where I keep seeing him getting drafted. He's not going to combine for anywhere close to 194 R+RBI again, so I just don't see him earning his cost.
Mike Napoli -- 53%
Napoli's batted ball
- You Can Still Build a Full and Complete Bullpen
actually trying to talk myself into Wilson. Hey, Mike Adams looked okay before his shoulder popped again, right? This is getting desperate. This probably doesn't matter all that much.
Let's take a deep