- Don't Forget That Matt Carpenter Was David Ortiz
Most Similar 2016 Hitters
- Trusting Blue Jays Closer Roberto Osuna
In this year's postseason, relievers have received attention based on when (or if) they have entered the game. For the Toronto Blue Jays and closer Roberto Osuna, there were questions a week ago
- Players' View: Farewell David Ortiz
David Ortiz was feted at Fenway Park yesterday. The 40-year-old slugger will retire following the postseason, and he’s deserving of any and all accolades that come his way. “Big Papi” finished
- Should David Ortiz Play First Base In the World Series?
, and of course given David Ortiz's unprecedented combination of offensive skills and just incredible foot pain/immobility, there's a legitimate question of whether the Red Sox should play him in the field
- Scouting Lewis Brinson and Luis Ortiz
be the first to compare Luis Ortiz's build to that of Rich Garces, and I won't be the last, for it is apt. Ortiz is 6-foot-3 and pushing 250 and obviously lacks any modicum of physical projection
- David Ortiz and the Greatest Age-40 Season Ever
We'll start with a man made of straw. You might think that David Ortiz’s stated intention to retire at the end of the upcoming season would mean he’d be limping to the end, a shell of his former self
- Effectively Wild Episode 769: Rich Hill, Jerry Dipoto, and David Ortiz
Ben and Sam discuss the Rich Hill signing and more Mike Trout punctuation, then answer listener emails about Jerry Dipoto and David Ortiz and do a double Play Index.
- David Ortiz Has Refused to Decline
was the best hitter on the team. He was never toast until he was. It's hard to look into the toaster.
Next season is going to be David Ortiz's last. The official announcement is apparently coming
- Roberto Osuna and the Aging Curve for Young Relievers
Way back in April, the Blue Jays turned some heads when they filled out their bullpen with a couple of 20-year-old A-Ballers: Miguel Castro and Roberto Osuna. Few doubted that these young arms had
- Effectively Wild Episode 724: Debating David Ortiz and Buying Stock in Baseball Players
Ben and Sam discuss David Ortiz's Hall of Fame candidacy and Angels starter Andrew Heaney's decision to sell stock in himself.
- JABO: David Ortiz and the Late March to 500
At the end of May, David Ortiz was posting a .309 OBP with just six home runs. The idea of Big Papi joining the 500 home run club this season was a pipe dream. Around that time, we heard an idea
- Sunday Notes: Revere, Hutchison, Ortiz, Chemistry, more
there, but if they aren't as talented, you're not going to win. There's no substitute for talent.”
Some David Ortiz factoids -- and a few quotes from baseball's newest member of the 500 club
- What Is Wrong With David Ortiz
David Ortiz is hitting -- that is, to the extent he has stood in the batters box with a bat and hit a pitched ball and run towards first base. He is hitting, that is, in that he is and has been
- Sunday Notes: Cleveland's 18-hit CG, Ortiz, Murakami, more
that same question to Chase Headley and David Ortiz.
Headley told me he considers OPS important, as well as Runs Produced. He also stressed that a lot of it is era-related. In his words, “When you
- Miguel Castro, Roberto Osuna and the A-Ball Jump
the creme of the crop. That's about as unexciting as it gets. However, there are some wildcards in the bullpen mix. There are rumblings that a couple of 20-year-olds -- Miguel Castro and Roberto Osuna
- Slightly Edited News Article: The Execution of David Ortiz
- The Untold Story of Roberto Clemente's Plane Crash Litigation
The Fatal Crash
Roberto Clemente was both a remarkable ballplayer and genuine folk hero. As an outfielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Clemente was a perennial All-Star and Gold Glove recipient. He
- Roberto Hernandez Heads to the Land of Cheesesteak
No, not the Roberto Hernandez who saved 326 games and spent his career in the bullpen, silly. It's the Roberto Hernandez who became the artist formerly known as Fausto Carmona of course! After
- Phillies Grab Whatever Roberto Hernandez Is
is and isn't sustainable. All of us want to be fortune tellers.
The Phillies signed Roberto Hernandez today, as a starting pitcher. He's going to get a base salary around $4.5 million, and with incentives he
- Actual Audio of David Ortiz's World Series Speech
Your browser does not support iframes.
So far as rousing public addresses are concerned, David Ortiz's Game Four one of those lacks the gravitas, probably, of Henry V's St Crispin's Day Speech
- David Ortiz and the Very Large Hall
The Hall of Fame buzz around David Ortiz is understandable given the amazing World Series he just had. With few exceptions, Ortiz has been an outstanding hitter since coming to Boston in 2003
- When David Ortiz has Been Locked In
to a more or less clean and conventional Game 5, and now the clear story is David Ortiz, and how he's presently un-get-outtable. I mean, I guess the real story is how the Red Sox are on the verge of another
- When to Walk David Ortiz
It is a bit of an exaggeration to say that David Ortiz has been the Red Sox' whole offense during the World Series, but only a bit, as he is hitting .733/.750/1.267 in the Series so far. Of course
- Wainwright, Ortiz, and Facing the Monster
, Wainwright threw six pitches to David Ortiz.
If you were watching, you understand, because the extended at-bat felt a little like theater. There was nobody on and there was one out, but it felt like
- Hats Off to Dandruff, and David Ortiz
- The Anatomy of David Ortiz, Human Wrecking Ball
The prevailing story from the World Series, right now, has to be the dominance and intimidation of David Ortiz. In the first four games of the series, he's hit 16 times and made just four outs, one
- David Ortiz and the Meaningful Meaningless
, a weird game, and the Cardinals never got themselves righted, but if you're in search of the amazing, you look to the bottom of the seventh. When David Ortiz came to the plate, Boston's chances
- The Complexity and Simplicity of David Ortiz vs. Mike Napoli
hitter, they'll have a decision to make before the games in the National League ballpark. David Ortiz and Mike Napoli can both hit the crap out of the ball, but when Boston's in St. Louis, one of them
- The Best of the Worst, Or, What Do Roberto Clemente, Pete Rose, and Ted Simmons Have In Common?
a chance to outshine it. This next guy, though? Well...
1. Roberto Clemente
Career WAR: 80.5
LVP year/WAR: 1955/-0.9
Classification: Start-of-career bump
Yeah, I'd say he made up
- Carlos Beltran, David Ortiz, and the Hall of Fame
years, coming in just ahead of Roberto Alomar, who got elected to Cooperstown a couple of years ago. David Ortiz, for reference, is 79th, essentially tied with Paul O'Neill and Mark Teixeira
- The Ten Biggest Playoff Plate Appearances for David Ortiz and Carlos Beltran
Sunday night, David Ortiz faced Joaquin Benoit with the bases loaded. There were two outs, and the Tigers were winning the game by four, but it was nevertheless a tense situation, with Tigers fans
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Roberto Hernandez
- Scherzer, Ortiz, and a Bullpen Implosion: The Red Sox Rally to Take Game Two
Jim Leyland used four relievers in the eighth, and each was charged with a run. A two-out grand slam by David Ortiz, off Joaquin Benoit, tied the game. A fifth reliever, Rick Porcello, came
- Assigning Responsibility for David Ortiz
, and it was sharply struck, but that was a fairly obvious run-scoring situation, and more importantly, what people are really going to remember is David Ortiz. What was on people's minds at the time was David Ortiz
- GIF Quiz: Whom is David Ortiz About to Bludgeon?
Please regard, with a sense of discernment, the following color-television GIF:
What is beyond dispute is that Vermilion Stockings philosopher-king David Ortiz has dislodged the second-base
- Only Slightly Belated Bat-Flip Alert: David Ortiz
In the sense that the footage here of David Ortiz dispensing of his bat in a manner the author will describe as "aggressively insouciant" both (a) originates from last night and (b) has already
- Roberto Hernandez & Marcell Ozuna: Deep Waiver Wire
that was just called up.
Roberto Hernandez | TAM SP | 8% Owned
The artist formerly known as Fausto Carmona is back with a new name and pitch mix. On the main FanGraphs blog, we have already
- Roberto Hernandez is Not Fausto Carmona
Yes, well obviously Roberto Hernandez is not Fausto Carmona. The name Fausto Carmona belongs to someone else, and though the history of Cleveland Indians starting pitcher "Fausto Carmona" belongs
- Audio: David Ortiz Has an Announcement to Make
David Ortiz has an announcement to make regarding Boston -- which announcement utilizes language typically reserved only for the bedroom and the boardroom.
Audio stolen from
- Roberto Hernandez: New Name, New Team, New Pitcher?
Not long ago, Roberto Hernandez was considered to be an up-and-coming starter for the Cleveland Indians. He was also known as Fausto Carmona. But regardless of what it said across his back, his 3.06
- Rays Sign Roberto Hernandez
The Rays began life after James Shields in earnest with their first transaction since the big move Wednesday. The club is reportedly close to inking pitcher Roberto Hernandez -- formerly and better
- David Ortiz, Red Sox Renew Vows
with a poor all of the 2012 season, and it became somewhat conceivable that David Ortiz would look for a change. Ortiz was set to be a free agent after the year, and as hard as it is to imagine the Red Sox
- Effectively Wild Episode 75: The David Ortiz Decision and the Offseason Outlook for the Red Sox
Ben and Sam welcome Matthew Kory to the podcast to discuss the David Ortiz contract negotiations and the outlook for the Red Sox this winter.
- Q&A: David Ortiz and Justin Verlander
It goes without saying that David Ortiz and Justin Verlander are among the most dominant players of their era. The Red Sox slugger has a career .284/.379/.545 slash line and 391 home runs; the Tigers
- David Ortiz Accepts Arbitration
Ever since he's joined the Red Sox, David Ortiz has been an elite designated hitter. Even in the bad years. It might seem like a slight to the slugger that he has reportedly decided to accept
- David Ortiz and the F Word: A Comprehensive Look
this is bad news for Boston, this is good news for everybody else. Not just because of schadenfreude (although largely because of schadenfreude), but also because this means we get to hear David Ortiz say
- David Ortiz's Contract Complaints
I came across this blurb a couple days ago over at HardBall Talk (originally from ESPN Boston):
“David [Ortiz] is (too) proud and respectful to say how he feels in public, but the guy feels hurt
- Roberto Alomar: A Video Essay
claim to. Enjoy.
It doesn't happen often: A player for the ages turning up on your favorite team. In a perfect world, Roberto Alomar would have stayed a Blue Jay longer. In a perfect world
- Fielder and Ortiz: Contact Hitters
rebounding to prior levels. However, there is one other example of a big slugger miraculously improving his contact rate almost overnight, and it's happening right now in Boston.
David Ortiz has
- Red Sox Exercise David Ortiz's 2011 Option
In April it seemed like a long shot -- perhaps an impossibility. A month later it was a near certainty. For nearly the entire season we've known that the Red Sox would exercise David Ortiz's $12.5
- The Byrd/Ortiz Play
Broxton pitching) John Buck reached on fielder’s choice to right (Fly). David Ortiz out at second.
In case you didn’t see it, you can watch it here. Ortiz was waiting to see if Buck’s short fly
- Is David Ortiz Back To Being Rosterable?
June 5th last year were considered his last hurrah.
But then something strange happened. The calender turned to May, and all of a sudden Ortiz started hitting again. Quite literally too, he hit two
- David Ortiz's Power Decline
Yesterday I looked at David Ortiz's decline in plate discipline values. Today I am going to turn to his power numbers. Because of Ortiz's inclusion on the leaked 2003 list of players who tested
- David Ortiz's Plate Discipline Decline
That is not to say that the Red Sox would not like to score a ton of runs. And one place they will hope to get more production from this year is the DH and David Ortiz. Ortiz had a down year in 2009
- Is Ortiz Powering Back Up?
David Ortiz had a horrible start to the season, going the first month and a half (154 PAs) without a home run. But recently he has turned it around, hitting five home runs since June 6th. Does
- Making Up For Ortiz (Sorta)
, Hideki Okajima.
For the past two seasons, David Ortiz has racked up more WPA than any other player in baseball by adding an incredible 17 wins to his team. About one-third of the way