- Erick Aybar Needs Your Prayers
- xHR%: The Finale
- xHR%: Questing for a Formula (Part 5)
- xHR%: Questing for a Formula (Part 4)
- xHR%: Questing for a Formula (Part 3)
- xHR%: Questing for a Formula (Part 2)
- xHR%: Questing for a Formula (Part 1)
- On the Use of Aging Curves for Fantasy Baseball
- Devon Travis, Sign Stealer?
- Chalk to Chalk
- Why Austin Jackson Should Be Just Fine
for Franklin, they acquired center fielder Austin Jackson, filling an organizational void in the hopes of making a playoff charge of their own. They fell a game short of a wild card berth
- Is Nolan Ryan Overrated by FIP?
pretty negative ones. We've mentioned walks, wild pitches, and stolen bases, but we haven't talked about grand slams. Ryan gave up 10 grand slams, tied with Mike Jackson and Kenny Rogers for the most
- An Introduction to GRIT
- The Most Predictable Hitters of 2013
- Who is the Real RBI Leader for 2012?
- Austin Jackson, Man of Action for Tigers
pedestrian 2010 form. And second base has been a pile of dreck among Brandon Inge (before he was released), Ramon Santiago, and Ryan Raburn.
The bright spot has been center fielder Austin Jackson
- Ryan Vogelsong and Cause For Concern
Right-hander Ryan Vogelsong proved to be one of the feel-good stories of the year in 2011.
The 34-year-old owned an unsightly career 5.86 ERA through 315 major-league innings with the San
- Starlin Castro Is Good at Baseball
If we go below Castro’s level of production we find other very good shortstops like Travis Jackson (95), Edgar Renteria (92), Robin Yount (83) and Elvis Andrus (81).
I’m not trying
- Brett Cecil's Descent?
- John Dewan: Jeter vs Ryan and 10x10 Buckets
sessions he talked about a notable improvement to the Defensive Runs Saved system -- and why Derek Jeter costs his team a lot of runs.
On Derek Jeter and Brendan Ryan: “In the first book
- Stanton's Possible Extension
to look like in order to get a deal done. As Jong notes, Prince Fielder made $33.5 million in his three arbitration seasons with this same skillset, while Ryan Howard achieved Super Two status
- Yadier Molina's Potential Payday and Catcher Aging
- Who Is Your $100 Million Pitcher?
- Would Taking a One-Year Deal Help Edwin Jackson?
, and Edwin Jackson. Fielder is still available due to a strategy decision by his agent, who has dragged out the process to try and lure more teams into the bidding. Oswalt is reportedly being picky about
- The Post-Injury Jeff Francis and DIPS
- FAN Projection Targets: AL West Second Basemen
under his belt. He also has more Fan Projections submitted than pretty much everyone except Ryan Braun - and these projections are optimistic. In limited action last year, he posted a strong .340
- Joe Saunders: A Fit for the New-Look Marlins?
with a guy like Saunders, rather than spend big bucks on a marginal upgrade like Hiroki Kuroda or Edwin Jackson. Saunders is a good buy, provided the team can sign him for an AAV in the $5 million to $6
- Yu Darvish's Landing Spot
Hiroki Kuroda, Edwin Jackson and Roy Oswalt, none of them quite offer the intrigue of Darvish. On the other hand, the Rangers are in win-now mode with Josh Hamilton, Michael Young and Ian Kinsler set
- Red Sox Bring In Jesse Carlson
- Don't Sleep on the Angels
- Extending Shaun Marcum
consisting of Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks, Corey Hart, Yovani Gallardo, Greinke and Marcum. It may be in their best interest to go with a one-year deal, as it allows them to cut bait if Marcum gets hurt
- Open-Market Value — The Free Agent Team
such as Bartolo Colon, Brandon McCarthy, Jhonny Peralta and Ryan Vogelsong. Instead, Mr. Dave Cameron, in his infinite generosity, has given me a budget of $80 million FanGraphs Pesos to piece together a free
- Dan Duquette as GM: The Pitching Staff
- An Alternative to Pujols in St.Louis
Furcal or to bring in a capable alternative, and Cards fans would probably be looking at a lot of Ryan Theriot (+0.6 WAR over the last two seasons) or a low-cost free agent at short.
As luck would
- How Will Prince Fielder Age?
- Edwin Jackson Is In Love With His Slider
Jackson has little use for this piece of baseball wisdom, as 2011 has seen him throw his slider more than ever in his career. Last night's World Series Game 4 was no exception, as Jackson offered
- The Brandon McCarthy Saga - Part Two
- The Brandon McCarthy Saga - Part One
- Motte, Feliz Continue Tradition
- Oblique Injuries in MLB
Longoria, Jason Bay, J.A. Happ, Curtis Granderson, Brian Wilson, Jair Jurrjens, and Ryan Zimmerman are some of the players who were slowed by oblique injuries in 2011, with Zimmerman drastically altering
- The Evolution of K-Rod
- Arizona Fall League - Arms to Watch
- Ryan Raburn: Second Half Stud
at least, is Adam LaRoche. He has a .56 point jump in his OPS after the break. The gap was most noticeable in 2006, 2008 and 2009. Ryan Raburn seems to be taking a similar career path. In 587 career
- Expanded Four Factors: Austin Jackson's BABIP
Expanded Four Factors links:
Yesterday afternoon, I took a look at Aaron Hill and his abnormally low BABIP. Naturally, today we
- Edwin Jackson's Increased Slider Use
I was listening to yesterday's excellent FanGraphs Audio with Carson, Jack and Matt, and they brought up Edwin Jackson. In the episode, they noted Jackson's soaring O-swing rate last year; wondered
- Matt Wieters This Year
- What Shakes out in the Rays Bullpen?
- Is Magglio Done?
- Khalil Greene: Worse than Unlucky in 2008
- Figgins Got Lucky?
- Trevor Hoffman on the Move
- Unlucky Beltre
- Derek Lowe the Brave
- The Lucky Riot
formulate a new version of xBABIP that takes into account a number of components of the hitter and models the way their BIP should be converted to outs/hits.
Last year Ryan Theriot had his best season
- Will Elvis Andrus Make a Fantasy Impact Next Year?
- Unlucky R-Ho
will probably come back to earth and those that were unlucky are due to breakout. This can be very helpful when deciding to draft one player or another. The first player in the series is Ryan Howard