- Ryan Howard Flips and, Kind of, Flops
Contrary to what the headline says: I have no footage of Ryan Howard actually doing a flip. If you do, though, that'd be cool.
But in all seriousness Howard isn't what he used to be. We all know
- Stanton's Possible Extension
In group 4 we see another
- Starlin Castro Is Good at Baseball
Obviously all of these players were better hitters than Castro
- Who is the Real RBI Leader for 2012?
We see that Cabrera
- Reid Ryan Visits the Edward Jones Chatting Cage
Hello everyone. Welcome the Edward Jones Chatting Cage, where we get to know more about some of the biggest people in MLB baseball. I'm your host, Jeremy Brisiel. Today, we're talking to the new
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 4 -- For Draftstreet
like the righty-heavy Tigers' lineup could do some damage today. The Brewers lost Ryan Braun, but their offense should still be able to muster some runs off of Alfredo Simon - seriously, he can't keep
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 18 -- For Draftstreet
pretty hard. I thought the match-up itself had tremendous blow-up potential, considering Ryan Vogelsong was on the other end of the bill. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way. The Giants
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 3 -- For Draftstreet
. Jake Odorizzi has struggled so far this year, especially once he begins working his way through the lineup multiple times. He and Jake Arrieta are my favorite stacking targets. Ryan Vogelsong could also
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 1 -- For Draftstreet
Anthony Rendon - $6,535
Ryan Zimmerman - $6,409
Jayson Werth - $6,091
Friedrich's command leaves a little to be desired. The Nationals are off and on, so I'm hoping they're on tonight
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 9 -- For Draftstreet
Carlos Gomez - $6,891
Jean Segura - $6,808
Ryan Braun - $6,413
Believe it or not, I'd actually chosen Braun for today's piece before he decided to put on a one man home run
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 16 -- For Draftstreet
been against them, respectively. It's almost unreal.
The Daily Five
Dee Gordon - $7,706
Ryan Vogelsong's slipper finally fell off. Dee Gordon's slipper, however, is still firmly on for the time
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 23 -- For DraftKings
. I’m assuming/hoping Desmond is bumped up in the lineup a little after Ryan Zimmerman’s injury. I also like Jayson Werth ($5,500), but he’s a little pricey.
J.D. Martinez - $4,600
- 2014 First Base Tier Rankings: August
, when he isn’t he’s nearly unrosterable. And you can make the same case for Ryan Howard and Mark Reynolds (listed below). If - and that's a big if - Carter's newfound patience sticks, he could become
- Paul Goldschmidt: Same As He Ever Was, Kind Of
early on. Martin Prado hit like 2011 Brendan Ryan. A.J. Pollock manned the top of the order for a while, and was very, very good, but then he got hurt, too. Arizona’s offense just didn’t get going
- An Introduction to GRIT
- Adam Jones, Unfinished Product
In the weekly Wednesday chat, one of the popular subjects was the Braves pursuit of Baltimore outfielder Adam Jones. According to reports, Atlanta has been trying to land Jones for the better part
- Contract Extension Comps for Adam Jones
As it turns out, Jones' situation is a bit unique. There aren't many offensive players that have signed a contract extension with two years of team control remaining; Ryan Howard
- The Unique Power-Speed Combos of Braun, Pence and Jones
-- Ryan Braun, Adam Jones and Hunter Pence find themselves in a class of their own.
Although most fans should be somewhat aware of the speed of this trio, their star power -- as with most hitters
- Daily Graphing - Ryan Howard
Congratulations to Ryan Howard for winning the 2005 National League Rookie of the Year award! In his first full season he hit 22 home runs in only 348 plate appearances. There are only 25 other
- Unlucky R-Ho
will probably come back to earth and those that were unlucky are due to breakout. This can be very helpful when deciding to draft one player or another. The first player in the series is Ryan Howard
- The Lucky Riot
formulate a new version of xBABIP that takes into account a number of components of the hitter and models the way their BIP should be converted to outs/hits.
Last year Ryan Theriot had his best season
- The Most Predictable Hitters of 2013
- Oblique Injuries in MLB
Longoria, Jason Bay, J.A. Happ, Curtis Granderson, Brian Wilson, Jair Jurrjens, and Ryan Zimmerman are some of the players who were slowed by oblique injuries in 2011, with Zimmerman drastically altering
- Open-Market Value — The Free Agent Team
such as Bartolo Colon, Brandon McCarthy, Jhonny Peralta and Ryan Vogelsong. Instead, Mr. Dave Cameron, in his infinite generosity, has given me a budget of $80 million FanGraphs Pesos to piece together a free
- An Alternative to Pujols in St.Louis
Furcal or to bring in a capable alternative, and Cards fans would probably be looking at a lot of Ryan Theriot (+0.6 WAR over the last two seasons) or a low-cost free agent at short.
As luck would
- Extending Shaun Marcum
consisting of Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks, Corey Hart, Yovani Gallardo, Greinke and Marcum. It may be in their best interest to go with a one-year deal, as it allows them to cut bait if Marcum gets hurt
- FAN Projection Targets: AL West Second Basemen
under his belt. He also has more Fan Projections submitted than pretty much everyone except Ryan Braun - and these projections are optimistic. In limited action last year, he posted a strong .340
- Arizona Fall League - Arms to Watch
- The Evolution of K-Rod
- Motte, Feliz Continue Tradition
- The Brandon McCarthy Saga - Part One
- The Brandon McCarthy Saga - Part Two
- Edwin Jackson Is In Love With His Slider
- How Will Prince Fielder Age?
- Dan Duquette as GM: The Pitching Staff
- Don't Sleep on the Angels
- Red Sox Bring In Jesse Carlson
- Yu Darvish's Landing Spot
- Joe Saunders: A Fit for the New-Look Marlins?
- The Post-Injury Jeff Francis and DIPS
- Who Is Your $100 Million Pitcher?
- Yadier Molina's Potential Payday and Catcher Aging
- Brett Cecil's Descent?
- Will Elvis Andrus Make a Fantasy Impact Next Year?
- Derek Lowe the Brave
- Unlucky Beltre
- Trevor Hoffman on the Move
- Figgins Got Lucky?
- Khalil Greene: Worse than Unlucky in 2008
- Is Magglio Done?
- What Shakes out in the Rays Bullpen?
- Matt Wieters This Year
- Sunday Notes: Players as Fans, High School or College, Andruw Jones, more
. They were down by four runs in the eighth inning, and by a single tally in the 12th, before rallying to oust Oakland and advance beyond the play-in stage.
In Terry Ryan's eyes, the team on top
- Andruw Jones
So far, Andruw Jones hasn't had the start to his Dodger career that anyone would have hoped for. His .149/.259/.234 line would make him a decent hitting pitcher, but as an $18 million dollar per
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 22 -- For DraftKings
+ of 144 versus left handed pitching. Yes, Happ does have a reverse split over the past few seasons, but he’s still allowed a .337 wOBA versus right handed batters over his career.
Adam Jones - $4,700
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 3 -- For Draftstreet
into the lineup. Michael Cuddyer suited up at third base this weekend, so maybe that's a harbinger of things to come?
Adam Jones - $6,494
Joe Saunders doesn't miss many bats. Adam Jones has crushed
- How Hard Is It To Be Successful Without Drawing Walks?
fWAR from 2000-2013 only 58 or 28.7% had walk rates less than or equal to 8%. Adam Jones fell slightly below on a few parameters, but for comparison's sake he felt pretty accurate. Here is Yasiel Puig
- Kennys Vargas is Walking a Fine Line
- - -
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 17 -- For Draftstreet
pitching pretty well; they’re facing John Danks tonight, weather permitting. Speaking of left handed pitching, the Orioles lineup, as a whole, isn’t otherworldly versus southpaws, but Adam Jones
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 2 -- For Draftstreet
Ausmus and pitching coach Jeff Jones to pour over film, new and old. They saw that the right-hander was moving laterally in a way that needed to be changed. They wanted him to move more toward home
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 12 -- For Draftstreet
home run issues haven't gone anywhere; Tex's power, however, has rebounded rather nicely, especially from the left side.
Adam Jones - $7,842
Manny Machado - $7,293
- Let's Find Ryan Howard a Happy New Home
to maintain one last link to the past, but it's clear the Phillies we knew are gone, and the next year or two (or more) are going to be a difficult transition.
I didn't mention Ryan Howard because
- Liberating Liberated Fandom
this Braves team is probably the most enjoyable one to watch since Andruw Jones and the Baby Braves ruled the roost. Cabrera and Eric Hinske were the only two guys I could think to speak
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 2 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 4 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 5 -- for Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 8 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 11 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 12 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 15 -- For Drafstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 19 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 22 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 23 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 25 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 26 -- For Draftsreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 29 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 30 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 1 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 2 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 6 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 7 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 9 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 10 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 13 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 14 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 16 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 17 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 20 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 21 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 23 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 24 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 27 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 28 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 30 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 31 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 4 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 6 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 7 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 10 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 11 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 13 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 14 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 18 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 20 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 21 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 24 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 25 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 27 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 28 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 11 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 13 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- All-Star Break Notes -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- For DraftKings -- July 18
- Daily Fantasy Baseball -- July 19 -- For DraftKings
- Mike Napoli's Alright, Isn't He?
- Nick Swisher's Done Helping You
- The Daily Grind: 8-7-2014 -- Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-9-14 -- Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-10-2014 -- Presented by FanDuel
- All Aboard The Duda Wagon
- Anthony Rizzo's Answered Your (My) Questions
- Has Freddie Freeman Been Worth His Cost?
- Return to Being Useful: Justin Morneau
- Albert Pujols: Fighting Father Time
- Adam Wainwright: Efficiency is the Name of the Game
- The Luckiest and Unluckiest Pitchers So Far in 2013
- The Atlantazona Bravebacks (Part I: Position Players)
- Is Andruw Jones A Hall-Of-Famer?
I wrote a piece for ESPN Insider today that talks about defensive metrics and Hall Of Fame voting. The main example used in the story is Andruw Jones, who you might be shocked to learn has
- Adam Jones' Mysterious Progress
this season, there have also been some bright spots. Among them has to be the offensive contributions of Adam Jones so far this season. Stardom has long been predicted for Jones, who is just 25 years old
- Garrett Jones' Arrival
Garrett Jones was drafted by the Atlanta Braves with the last pick of the 14th round in 1999 as a first baseman out of Victor J Andrew High School in Illinois. Jones failed to do much of anything
- Injuries, Luck and Chipper Jones
Is it better to be lucky or good? Annual injuries aside, Chipper Jones was both of these things in 2008 as he batted over .400 for the first two-and-a-half months of the season. How was he lucky
- Sunday Notes: Adam Jones, Kinsler's Glove, Price's Cutter, Britton's Sinker, more
What is the best way to attack Adam Jones? The answer would seemingly be to avoid the strike zone. The Orioles outfielder walked just 19 times in 682 plate appearances – that's a 2.8 walk-rate, folks
- Jones' Ranger Resurgence
Andruw Jones bashed three home runs last evening, taking his total up to 14 long balls for the season. Jones' triple-slash line rests at .250/.348/.581, with a wOBA of .392. On a per-at-bat basis
- The Lamentation over Jones
When the Mariners caved in to Baltimore's demands and agreed to build a package for Erik Bedard around outfielder Adam Jones, most of the Mariners blogosphere was livid. I personally wrote that I
- Andruw Jones Fitted For Pinstripes
The first memory most fans have of Andruw Jones is witnessing the then-teenager terrorize the New York Yankees in Game One of the 1996 World Series. While Jones' Braves ultimately came up short
- Andruw Jones to the White Sox
According to MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez, the Chicago White Sox have come to terms with Andruw Jones on a one-year, $500K contract with $1M in possible incentives.
Jones famously fell of the face
- Adam Jones' Offensive Jump
Sherrill, Tony Butler, Kam Mickolio and Adam Jones.
Tillman will team up with 2008 first-rounder Brian Matusz to give Baltimore a deadly one-two punch at the top of the rotation. Sherrill was shipped
- Jones Bashes in the 'Burgh
On July 1st, the following scrolled across the transaction wire:
Pittsburgh Pirates purchased the contract of outfielder Garrett Jones from Indianapolis of the International League (AAA).
- ADP Crowdsourcing: Adam Jones
Adam Jones always seems to get a ton of love from someone on draft day, then never lives up to the hype and disappoints. However, his transition from 2008 to 2009 was impressive, so he hasn’t always
- Adam Jones' Emergence
to be growing at a rapid rate.
Adam Jones in Baltimore got his first taste of regular play last year following the trade to the Orioles from the Seattle Mariners in the Erik Bedard deal. He responded
- Andruw Jones Is Alive
George Romero may have never considered the possibility of smiling zombies. The walking undead Andruw Jones is infectious with smiling, and he’s spreading the condition all around the Southside
- Ranking Adam Jones
uber-bullish ranking of Carlos Carrasco on Little Christmas, and my bearish ranking of Adam Jones shall provide the content for normal Christmas. Enjoy.
The comments in the rankings piece
- Daily Graphing - Todd Jones
Todd Jones really pissed me off last year. See, I had Guillermo Mota in my fantasy league and when he got injured, Todd Jones pitched so well that Guillermo Mota never got his closer job back. Now
- Daily Graphing - Jacque Jones
With all talk of the Yankees signing Johnny Damon, it seems like the Cubs signing Jacque Jones to a three year, $16 million contract got lost in the news. Jones is currently a career .280 hitter
- Chipper Jones Speaks in Tongues
Bit of old news, but did anyone notice Chipper Jones's tweet on August 2? Allow me to remind you:
We need a dome! These rain delays stink. Nothin a couple of 2run dubs wont fix. Back on track
- Adam Jones’ Regression At The Plate
I don’t think it’d be a stretch to say that Adam Jones has been a big disappointment at the plate so far in 2010. He came into Saturday’s game batting just .254/.283/.384, and instead of taking
- You Want Adam Jones
center fielder Adam Jones would be a great place to start.
Jones is by no means a hidden gem in fantasy baseball. He was a highly touted prospect in the Mariners system, offering a nice blend
- Chipper Jones and The Couch
You know this player: it's Chipper Jones, the shoe-in Hall-of-Famer who's about to play the final regular season series of his career.
It was a different time, you understand -- 1992, or '93
- Adam Jones: UZR and Me
UZR is catching up to Adam Jones, or maybe it‘s the other way around. Either way, the Orioles centerfielder is finally receiving some love from defensive metrics -- his league-leading 5.9 UZR
- Crowdsourcing Results: Jones and Volquez
Below are the results for this week’s ADP Crowdsourcing. If you have any suggestions for next week, leave them in the comments for consideration.
My vote: 10
- Jacque Jones: Almost a Hall of Famer
And he has the Internet to thank! With the first ever Hall of Fame vote credited to "tweeples," presenting the immortal and amazing Jacque Jones!
Apprecaite my tweeples for helping me get that 1
- Nate Jones Is in Agony
- Adam Jones Is Never Room Temperature
of month-by-month analysis with Adam Jones as the subject.
Creating outs is the greatest crime in this game of baseball. In April, Jones created many outs
- Is Adam Jones Pulling a Matt Kemp?
On Tuesday, Adam Jones took a 1-0 fastball from CC Sabathia in the second inning and launched it out to left field. On Wednesday, in the 15th inning, he destroyed a curveball from Nate Adcock
- Adam Jones is Boring, And That's Fine, Right?
Over the last three years, Adam Jones has hit between .280 and .287, launched between 25 and 33 homers, and stolen between 12 and 16 bases. Considering the way team performances vary from year
- Chipper Jones To Retire After 2012
After more than 17 years as a fixture in Atlanta Braves baseball, Chipper Jones has announced that he will retire as a player after the 2012 season. His $7 million club option for next year would
- Chipper Jones Unhappy With Basement Dwellers
Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution caught up with Chipper Jones today, and he wasn't terribly happy, particularly with some denizens of the lowest floor of houses owned by their mothers
- Adam Jones Just Got Stronger
C'mon readers of RotoGraphs, you didn't really think I was going to let the year end without another piece on Adam Jones from me, did you? I was just waiting for the appropriate time
- Orioles Outfield: At Least There's Adam Jones
Before we get to the desolate corner spots in the Baltimore outfield, let's at least focus on Adam Jones and the value he brings to fantasy baseball. He hits in the .280s, he puts up between 25-33