- An Etherview with Sean "CHONE" Smith
If you read FanGraphs, you're probably familiar with Sean Smith's work. Mr. Smith is the progenitor of the CHONE projection system, hosted annually here at FanGraphs and also at his own website
- Historical Position Adjustments
- Sean Gilmartin and the Gwinnett Braves
, but they aren't as skilled as those in Triple-A. In fact, Triple-A players are largely what they are with little projection left — and most of them are role players.
But Sean Gilmartin is not supposed
- Skyrocket Smith
The Rocket's glare. That's him at top left.
Today is the 145th birthday of Skyrocket Smith, first baseman for the 1888 Louisville Colonels, and namesake of my next-born child. These Colonels
- The Fall of the House of Smith
a light upon a matter of EVEN GREATER URGENCY, as well as acute personal interest. I write of the Fall of the House of Smith.
Remember the halcyon days of the late eighties? (Unsettlingly, some
- Arbitrary End Points
the rest of the season.
Joe Benson hit .169/.296/.271 in April. He hit .273/.350/.578 the rest of the season.
Sean Ratliff hit .259/.326/.407 in April. He hit .306/.359/.524 the rest of the season
- 2015 MLB Arbitration Visualized
These graphics are part of an on-going arbitration research project and is co-authored by Sean Dolinar and Alex Chamberlain.
Major League Baseball’s salary arbitration wrapped up this past week
- What the Cubs Must Do
of the Koyie Hill temptation, returning Sean Marshall and Andrew Cashner to their rightful places in a rotation, riding the Tyler Colvin never-ending hot streak, etc. It shouldn't be difficult.
- The 20-80 Scale, Saber Style (Again Yet Different)
- Modeling Salary Arbitration: Stat Components
This post is part of an ongoing arbitration research project and is coauthored by Alex Chamberlain and Sean Dolinar.
April 24: Modeling Salary Arbitration: Introduction
Feb. 25: 2015 MLB
- Risky and Rosy
Presently, there are both quantitative and anecdotal offerings available, thanks to Sean Smith's TotalZone play by play metric (offered at MinorLeagueSplits), or any
- Off-Season Twitter Usage Among MLB Teams
- A Graphical Look at Free Agency
- BABIP and Year-to-Year Offensive Fluctuations
- Timeline of Yankee Captains
- Investigating the Idea of Scarce Right-Handed Power
- 2015 Offensive Projections -- Interactive
- Interactively Graphing Forbes' Team Values
- 2015 Pitching Projections -- Interactive
- A Twitter Snapshot of Opening Day
- A Look at Statcast's Broadcast Debut
- Offense Returned to MLB Last Night
- A Visual Look at Defensive Metrics
- WAR Diagram: Position Players
- The New Golden Age of Cuban Baseball in MLB
- Evaluating Players in the Dark and Scooter Gennett
- Pirates Do Not Need Help Against Left-Handed Pitching
- Run Distribution Using the Negative Binomial Distribution
- How Well Did the FanGraphs Playoff Odds Work?
- Building a Farm: American League East
- First Round History: Third (And Second) Base
Young 16.3 HS
Todd Walker 11.6 U
Ed Sprague 6.6 U
Sean Burroughs 6.2 HS
Mike Fontenot 4.8 U
Mark Teahen 4.0 U
- Organizational Rankings: Future Talent - Angels
belief in Sean O'Sullivan or Trevor Bell, but it's not coming from me. This is where the upsetting loss of Nick Adenhart strikes the hardest, as the right-hander should have been the ace of the next
- Stanton's Got That Super Swing
that have, at one time or another, been praised as legit big league prospects: Erik Cordier, Jake Thompson, Sean Watson, Dallas Buck, Justin Cassel and Nick Hill. Three home runs were against left
- College World Series Preview: Bracket 1
Drafted Player: John Gast, LHP, St. Louis Cardinals, 199th overall.
How They Got Here
Best Prospect: James Ramsey, of, So. or Sean Gilmartin, lhp, So.
Florida: The Gators are a perfect 5-0
- 2011 Draft Summer College Notes
. I'd also be remiss not to mention Florida State's Sean Gilmartin, who wasn't in my 2011 Draft Pitcher Preview in June, but came to Cary with more velocity (up to 92 mph, reportedly) than I'd previously
- Staring Down the Sinkerballers, Part Three
141.3 62.6 16.3 16.3
Ramon Troncoso 259.7 62.1 14.3 21.5
Mike Pelfrey 179.3 54.7 12.8 30.5
Sean Green 120.7 66.0 12.4 21.3
- Comping Castro
some Minor League data available through Baseball-Reference. What would we do without Sean Forman?
Dalton Jones, Garry Templeton, Danny Ainge, Roberto Alomar, Jose Reyes, Jose Lopez and Elvis Andrus
- Dreamweaving the Draft
Olerud and Mark Grace. We'd have to throw in Kent Hrbek and Sean Casey, too.
24. Gary Brown, CF, San Francisco Giants
Skills they love: Plus-plus speed, great bat control.
They'll be hoping
- Building a Farm: Top Prospects
- Building a Farm: National League Central
- Building a Farm: National League East
- Sean Marshall Gets Paid
After the Cubs shuffled him between the bullpen and the rotation for four seasons, Sean Marshall finally found his home in the bullpen. In 80 relief appearances, Mashall allowed only 25 runs
- Greg Holland or Sean Marshall?
This is a question I have received a lot since we were made aware of Ryan Madson’s impending Tommy John surgery: who would I rather pick, Greg Holland or Sean Marshall? Some of my readers and twitter
- Great Moments in Forgettable Careers II: Cocklewarming Edition
, 2 BB, 5 K, 0.793 WPA) who was this epic's undisputed hero.
April 6, 1984: Mike Smith Debuts in Style
How forgettable was "Mississippi" Mike Smith? So forgettable that two other right-handed
- Sean Doolittle: Rehabbing a Shoulder
The least interesting thing about recovering from a shoulder injury might be trying to figure out how it happened. It happened, and life has to move on. In Sean Doolittle's case, it might -- might
- $1 Infielder: Sean Rodriguez
and Yunel Escobar.
One of those $1 players is Sean Rodriguez of the Rays. The 26-year-old will be Tampa Bay's primary shortstop this season, or at least early in the season if Reid Brignac winds up
- Sean Marshall Is a Rebel
confident that they can put in the strike zone.
Well, Sean Marshall is not most pitchers - at least not anymore. He followed the traditional first pitch fastball model for the first few years of his
- Walk Up, Walk Tall
Longoria: "Down and Out" - Tantric
Elliot Johnson: "Foxey Lady" - Jimi Hendrix
Jose Lobaton: "We Are Young" - Fun
Matt Joyce: "I Can't Stop" - Flux Pavilion
Sam Fuld: "Electric Feel" - MGMT