- 2011 Organization Rankings: #22 Milwaukee
first glance, it's easy to fall in love with the Brewers. This is a team that is built around stars: Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks, Corey Hart, Zack Greinke, Yovani Gallardo, and Shaun Marcum
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Milwaukee
. As an interesting aside, both teams have their two stars projected to amass ~45% of the WAR for their starting eight. Those two stars, Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun, both project to hit well above
- A Mike Stanton Extension: Possible or Not?
for Stanton look like? It's been a few years, but the Marlins would probably want to base an extension around Ryan Braun's original 8 year, $45 million deal. Braun signed his extension around the point
- NLCS Scouting: Greinke vs. Garcia
handedness could help him neutralize the Brewers' left-handed bats, and his changeup -- one of his best pitches -- is a pitch that Corey Hart and Ryan Braun normally have trouble with.
- Carlos Ruiz: The Best Catcher In Baseball?
There are actually a number of surprising things
- Franchise Draft Discussion: Carl Crawford at #7
it is at this point. In case you're curious, here's my thought-process on the other 11 players I considered taking:
• Ryan Braun: He's a great player and a great hitter, but I couldn't see taking him
- The Odds of Hitting for the Cycle
- Daily Notes: Actual Quotes from the Actual Ryan Braun
is it to have Luc on the team?
A. It's amazing, yeah. It's cool. I didn't even know Team USA had a bullpen catcher...
"Oh, snap" appears to summarize beloved comedian Steve Harvey's reaction to Braun's
- Braun the Sophomore
After receiving a late May call to the bigs last year, Brewers 3B Ryan Braun went on an absolute tear, taking home Rookie of the Year hardware in the process. 112 games into his second season
- Steve Cishek on Steve Cishek: The Making of a Marlin
Steve Cishek learned to throw a slider in 2009. Three years later, the side-winding Miami Marlins righty learned how to throw it more effectively against left-handed hitters. He has since emerged
- A Gift Not To Buy For Steve Bartman
Cubs Jenga would be a very bad gift idea for Steve Bartman, if you were like a Secret Santa or family member or something where you needed a gift idea. Because, you know, the idea of him
- Young Ryan Braun
Young Ryan Braun isn't smiling because "intent with Buick-like seriousness" are his factory settings.
Young Ryan Braun doesn't like posed senior portraits.
Young Ryan Braun doesn't like
- Assessing Steve Pearce's Breakout
rushed out to apply quick fixes to their club - the unlikely emergence of Steve Pearce.
Peace came out of nowhere to give the Orioles 4 WAR in just 100 games last year. As Mike Petriello noted
- Steve Cishek: Why Not?
Steve Cishek was a top-ten reliever this year. Steve Cishek! He's supposed to be selling seashells by the sea shore, and here he is providing valuable stats for a low cost. Provided what we know
- Cardinals Acquire Steve Cishek
for it. Via Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald:
#marlins to receive double A RHP Kyle Barraclough from cardinals for Steve Cishek— clarkspencer (@clarkspencer) July 24, 2015
- The Case for Ryan Braun
The race between Ryan Braun and Matt Kemp for National League MVP is so very close. Most analysts lean toward Kemp: he played 11 more games, hit six more home runs, stole seven more bases and ended
- Trying to Explain Steve Pearce
, it's not so complicated. Sometimes there's a Steve Pearce.
* * *
You have to figure that on a team that's outplaying even the most optimistic projections, someone has come out of nowhere to provide
- O! Ryan Braun!
Despite being the sixth most valuable position player in the National League (per WAR) this year, the third most outfielder, and, easily, the most valuable left-fielder, Ryan Braun is only starting
- Ryan Braun's Power
As a 26-year-old slugger signed through the 2015 season for a total of $40 million, Milwaukee Brewers left fielder Ryan Braun is one of the most valuable assets in the game. The former Miami
- Ryan Braun, Upside and Average
Ryan Braun is one of the first outfielders to go in nearly every mock draft so far this year. With two solid seasons of production under his belt, Braun has an ADP of nine according to the latest
- Great Moments in Spectacles: Steve Trout
Steve Trout is aware that society would prefer that he not wear those seductive Foster Grants, particularly in mixed company, but he doesn't much give a damn about that. When a gentleman like Steve
- Braun Cleared - Fantasy Ramifications
Ryan Braun will not have to serve a 50 day suspension for performance enhancing drugs. While many ramifications may come from this ruling, I will get to the meat of the matter. How does the ruling
- Will There Be Another Ryan Braun?
be less willing to find room for an extremely bad defender. Which brings us to the case of Ryan Braun in 2007.
The last year of the other Ryan Braun's major-league career was the first year of this Ryan
- Ryan Braun and Infield Hits
, and Carl Crawford aren’t unexpected whatsoever. The sight of Ryan Braun, however, had me taken aback when really it shouldn’t have.
Braun is of course a former third baseman moved to the outfield who
- Braun Taking Plenty of BB's
From the moment Milwaukee's Ryan Braun stepped in a major league batter's box, he's mashed. The 25 year-old holds a career .304/.363/.586 line, with a .402 wOBA. While that whole...third base thing
- Braun Improving As Franchise Player
A few weeks ago, I took Ryan Braun with the 10th pick in FanGraphs franchise player draft. Truth be told, I was set to pick Miguel Cabrera before Niv Shah grabbed him with the pick right before mine
- Suggested Products for Steve Carlton's Business
Deadspin recently reprinted a fascinating look into the depths of Steve Carlton's mind. Turns out, a cabal of 300 people is running the world. Or the Jews. Or the Chinese. Or the bankers.
- The Brewers' Outfield: Brawn and Braun
, and close to a sure thing as far as production. Ryan Braun, on the other hand, seems to have gone in the opposite direction. Much of the Brewers' value in the outfield will be based on whether Braun can
- Brewers Extend Ryan Braun
The news this afternoon broke seemingly out of nowhere. Ryan Braun had just signed a five-year, $105 million extension that locks him in through the 2020 season. If it feels as though we just
- Replacing Ryan Braun
The weekend produced one of the most surprising and most controversial stories of the past decade in baseball. Ryan Braun tested positive for increased testosterone levels in a random drug test
- Ryan Braun and Confirmation Bias
belief in his own prior opinion.
Since the news came out about Ryan Braun's overturned suspension, the internet seems to be full of loud angry fans. People who "know" that Ryan Braun used steroids
- FanGraphs Audio: Meet Steve Slowinski
Today's guest Steve Slowinski contributes to both FanGraphs and DRaysBay -- and, perhaps more importantly, is the driving force behind the very helpful FanGraphs (née Sabermetric
- Steve Pearce Is Playing Second Base
Understand that no one's Plan A would be putting Steve Pearce into the lineup at second base. It would be nobody's Plan B, either. Understand that the Orioles have been forced into a position
- Eyeing Cheap Relief: Steve Delabar
reclaims the job, with the idea that he can revert back to the guy who posted a 35.4% K rate with the White Sox in 2011.
But it's not Santos that really interests me, it's Steve Delabar. Given
- Ryan Braun Leads The Majors in Confidence...
PHOENIX -- Ryan Braun lashed out today at MLB's new confidence testing program, insisting that his positive result for confidence was tainted by the anti-semitic Cubs fan urine collector who
- Braun's Explanation on Biogenesis Is Entirely Plausible
the name of Brewers left fielder Ryan Braun. Last week, the New Times of Miami reported that Biogenesis and its founder Anthony Bosch had allegedly provided performance-enhancing drugs to other MLB players
- Ryan Braun: ottoneu Trade Target
Fantasy owners across the internet were likely cursing at their monitors as they cut loose Ryan Braun this afternoon. Owners in re-draft leagues made the cut already; those in keeper leagues may have
- Ryan Braun Suspended For Rest of Season
Well, the first shoe in the BioGenesis case has fallen. Faced with the possibility of having the issue continue to linger into 2014, Ryan Braun has agreed to a deal with MLB, and will be suspended
- Steve Stone is Naked, Open to the Possibilities
- Spotted: A Colombian Person Named Steve Brown
First, Colombia was inhabited by indigenous peoples like the Muisca, Quimbaya, and Tairona. Then, in the 16th century, it was conquered by the Spanish. Then, in 1986, Steve Brown was born
- Finding a Trade Partner for Ryan Braun
Over the weekend, Ken Rosenthal reported that the possibility of Ryan Braun being traded "was becoming more realistic", as Braun is off to a fantastic start to the 2016 season, and he's starting
- Braun Finds Power To All Fields
After the 2010 season, it wasn't clear Ryan Braun would become the elite power hitter suggested by his explosive 34-homer, .634 SLG, .310 ISO debut season. Every season after he came
- Video: Laugh and Cry with Ryan Braun
Commentary: The ghost of Reggie Miller, who everyone knows died in 2003, is haunting Ryan Braun/got pretty decent seats for a ghost.
Commentary: Ryan Braun developed an inner-ear
- Photo: Ryan Braun Crime Scene
Ryan Braun will be buried in an Ed Hardy t-shirt, reports suggest.
There's a conversation to be had regarding the role of the beat reporter in the Electronic Age. There's also a conversation
- Spotted: Ryan Braun with Carla Bruni
heiress who is also a former supermodel."
Milwaukee Brewer outfielder Ryan Braun, known to be a great admirer of Austen's work, clearly agrees, as indicated by this totally undoctored image (courtesy
- Rebounding Ungracefully From Ryan Braun
as it is to believe people on the ballfield can return any of the affection you direct them, it still hurts to be cheated on. It doesn't feel like Braun cheated, it feels like he cheated on me. A certain part
- The Many Faces of Ryan Braun, Artist
work speak for itself, as every artist should.'' - Ryan Braun, to USA Today's Bob Nightengale
I can’t help admiring the kind of chutzpah it takes to essentially place yourself among the greats
- Why are you so sad, Steve Bedrosian?
Why are you so sad, Steve Bedrosian?
Is it because you saw the end of Kris Kristofferson’s remake of A Star Is Born?
Is it because Barry Gibb finally retired the name Bee Gees and disco died
- FanGraphs Audio: Steve Wynn of The Baseball Project
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks with Steve Wynn of real-live rock-and-roll band The Baseball Project.
Don't hesitate to direct pod-related correspondence
- Player Whose Name Was a Sentence: Steve Sharts
Because he never made the majors and because he was out of affiliated baseball by 1990, Steve Sharts does not have a player page at FanGraphs. What he does have, though -- by virtue of his
- Q&A: Ryan Braun and Rickie Weeks
hitters think exactly alike, so in this week’s Q&A we’ll hear from a pair of Brewers teammates -- and National League All-Stars -- Ryan Braun and Rickie Weeks.
Editor’s Note: The duo answered the same
- NotGraphs Film Series: Steve Balboni Profile, 1980
to mollifying the effects of said condition, the author has found and then embedded the above video -- a profile of then-minor-leaguer Steve Balboni from 1980, hosted by a poorly disguised Ernest
- Baseball Will Make You Cry: Steve Delabar Edition
. This is why I try to watch baseball through the rosiest of glasses.
I also watch baseball for people like Steve Delabar. Until very recently, I didn't know much about him. I know that he had blown out his
- Marlins Trade Draft Pick for Whatever's in Steve's Couch
is currently trapped within the couch of this guy named Steve.
A source with knowledge of the situation tells NotGraphs that, after receiving a mandate from fork-tongued owner Jeffrey Loria
- Ryan Braun Would Like Another
Walker, neat.Black Label if you have it.
I can't even get a second look from that blond over there. It's lunch time! I'm Ryan Braun! I hit a homerun yesterday. It was pretty cool. So it's like come
- Investigating Steve Cishek on Behalf of Adam Ottavino
What stuck with me since that conversation was a pitcher he was interested in: Steve Cishek. Really, Ottavino was interested in how a primarily fastball/slider pitcher could avoid platoon splits. So
- Totally Unaltered Tweet: Roenicke Declares Support for Braun
The following tweet, which concerns a real and not fake statement made by Brewers manager Ron Roenicke with regard to outfielder Ryan Braun, is entirely and in-no-way altered from the original (click
- After Braun Suspension, Many Questions Still Unanswered
Major League Baseball suspended Ryan Braun for the remainder of the season on Monday for "violations of the Basic Agreement and its Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program," according to a press
- Taking A Step Back: Steve Pearce and Lorenzo Cain
info suggests significant 2015 decline. I couldn't pick two more dissimilar players if I tried; this week's subjects are the Orioles' 2014 everyman-savior, Steve Pearce, and the Royals' postseason
- Ryan Sweeney & Steve Cishek: Waiver Wire
Gonzalez, and David Ortiz. You're not going to get homers out of him, but Sweeney will give you a strong batting average and be a runs scored machine.
Steve Cishek | RP | Marlins | Owned: 31% Yahoo
- Josh Bell and Steve Lombardozzi: Waiver Wire
Steve Lombardozzi, WAS |2B, 3B, OF| Ownership: ESPN - 0.5% Yahoo - 1.0%
The Nationals have always been high on Lombardozzi and had been shopping shortstop Ian Desmond around
- Steve Pearce, Jake Arrieta, And Information Gaps
, the poster child is probably Steve Pearce. I know his power outburst is based purely on pull-field home runs. In ranking him the 20th outfielder - one ahead of Jones - I'm saying his .263 ISO is mostly
- Which Fielder and Braun Will Show Up in 2011?
agent Prince Fielder show that the Brewers are all in for 2011. Whether that gamble will pay off in a World Series title depends largely on which versions of Fielder and Ryan Braun The Brewers next
- Ryan Braun's Constantly Improving Plate Discipline
Some idle Holiday Internetting has compelled the author of this piece to point his web browser in the direction of National League MVP Ryan Braun's player profile, which in turn has compelled
- Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder: Baseball Friends!
Reader Adam (and also my former roommate Pete) have been so kind as to tip me off to this excellent cartoon featuring Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder spending a night together on the Miller Park grass
- Relative Waiver Wire: Steve Pearce, Jacob Turner
it a bad choice. You’re just open to ideas and possibilities, and you’ll take a win however you can get it.
1B/OF Steve Pearce, Baltimore Orioles
Ownership: CBS 44% | Yahoo! 17% | ESPN 38.8%
- Ryan Braun's Testosterone Levels Explained
- Is Ryan Braun's Extension Worse Than Howard's?
the Ryan Braun extension, which borrows some from each of the first two moves. Like Tulowitzki, the Brewers chose to sign Braun through 2020, despite the fact that he was already under contract
- Ryan Braun Case: PED Attitudes Changing?
A week after the arbitration ruling in favor of Ryan Braun, the controversy over the arbitrator's ruling shows no sign of abating. Eno Sarris did a good job of explaining why the decision did nothing
- Has Your View Of Ryan Braun Changed?
On Saturday night, news broke that Ryan Braun failed a drug test during the playoffs, and unless he becomes the first player to successfully win an appeal, he'll be suspended for the first 50 games
- Ryan Braun has the ability to hit for average and...
Editor's Note: The full original title broke FanGraphs (congrats Robert!), here it is in its entirety: Ryan Braun has the ability to hit for average and significant power and his fluid swing
- Ryan Braun: A King Even Without His Prince
It was just a year ago at this time that Ryan Braun’s name was starting to be whispered in connection to a failed PED test sometime at the end of the 2011 season. We all know how it shook out. Braun
- The Ryan Braun/Zack Greinke Clubhouse Dynamic
and Brewers superstar Ryan Braun. Both of these players have remarkable personalities, and they aren't exactly kindred spirits. If they are peas, they certainly live in separate pods, if you
- Dear Cubs Enthusiasts: "Don't Blame Steve"
- The Unique Power-Speed Combos of Braun, Pence and Jones
-- Ryan Braun, Adam Jones and Hunter Pence find themselves in a class of their own.
Although most fans should be somewhat aware of the speed of this trio, their star power -- as with most hitters
- Mock Battle: Ryan Braun vs Michael Brantley
with my first two picks, I found myself in just such a predicament. I wanted an outfielder, and Michael Brantley and Ryan Braun were clearly the best of the remaining. Given their respective ages
- Ryan Braun's Three Homer Game, In Perspective
slugger Ryan Braun had other ideas.
Braun's first plate appearance of the game came in the first inning. With a runner on first and one out, Braun flew out to center field. He next came to the plate
- Weekend Wrap: Chen/Blackley Morph, Braun, Pagan
Here I go again, doting on some things from the weekend:
1. GIF-Morph: Travis Blackley & Wei-Yin Chen
2. Ryan Braun Gives Up
3. Ángel Pagán Makes Great Catch on Ball Thrown Back by Fan?
- Exclusive: Ryan Braun PED Scandal Outrage Meter
, in the wake of Ryan Braun's admission of guilt and subsequent punishment, is that the Outrage Meter has reached Dangerous Levels of Danger.
- A Brief Interview With 2011 NL MVP Ryan Braun
In what was perhaps a moderately surprising result, Milwaukee Brewers left fielder Ryan Braun beat out Los Angeles Dodgers center fielder Matt Kemp by a comfortable 56 point margin. The award
- Redeeming Ryan Braun: Positive Test Overturned
Score one for those who reserved judgment: Ryan Braun has seen his positive test overturned by the independent panel headed by arbiter Shyam Das.
Braun put out a statement that this was a "first
- I Took Ryan Braun in the Dynasty Mock
today, is that I took Ryan Braun with my second-round pick in this dynasty league mock.
First: this was not a move that I would couch. I didn't pick Braun because this was a mock draft
- I Can't Believe I Missed Steve Balboni's Birthday
This was a home run
Luckily, Baseball-Reference's blog was all over it.
As the B-R blog covers exquisitely well, Steve Balboni was not a very good baseball player. However, he
- Jim Hendry Leaves Mixed Legacy in Chicago
a Steve Phillips. Cubs fans should certainly be glad that their team has decided to move on – it was past time for a new direction and focus -- but I think Hendry deserves more credit and praise than he
- My Simple(ish) Playoff Chances Simulator
at the bottom). Here it is, Steve Staud's Standings Stratifier (or something):
The "WC to Playoffs" column indicates the expected chance each team will actually win the one-game playoff, should they win
- Biogenesis Arbitrage: What's Braun Without the Juice?
We can now say, with confidence and the backing of legal proceedings and pronouncements, that Ryan Braun did steroids. Those in yearly leagues have all said their curses dropped him -- a good
- Mustache Watch and Strat-o-Matic Godliness: Steve Balboni
pixy of a man. Pastel is the new black. And John Hughes rules the world with an iron fist.
Into this landscape saunters Steve Balboni, who blesses you with his divine image below:
Click, if thou
- FANS Playoff Probabilities - AL Version
- FANS Playoff Probabilities - NL Version
- Dead Money
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Texas
- Scrap Heap Heroes
- The Dave Duncan Effect
- Some Early Observations on Reliever Usage
- Trevor Hoffman's Struggles
- Closer Usage in the AL East
- What Is The FanGraphs Library?
- Carlos Beltran Moves Right, Angel Pagan Slides Center
- The 100 Million Dollar Contract Over Time
- Team Preview: Baltimore Orioles
- Team Preview: Tampa Bay Rays
- To Demote or Promote?
- The 'Aughts' at a Glance: 2000-2009 Superlatives
- When Character and Makeup Matter
- 2011 Organizational Rankings: #7 Texas
- Shutdowns, Meltdowns, and Saves
- Library Updates and A Look at the Minus Stats
- Regression and Albert Pujols’ Slump
- For Once, Fortune Smiles on Cleveland
- A Visual Look at wOBA
- Starlin Castro Shining Bright
- How to Speak Sabermetrics to a Mainstream Audience
- Diagnosing Rafael Soriano's Woes
- Batter/Pitcher Splits Crib Sheet
- 'Stabilizing' Statistics: Interpreting Early Season Results
- Nearly Perfect: Jaime Garcia's 2011 Season
- Bonus FanGraphs Chat - 5/11/11
- "Everything in My Life Sucks Right Now."
- Saber-Friendly Tip #1: The Linguistics of BABIP
- Saber-Friendly Tip #2: Talkin' About Power
- The Slow Decline of Alex Rodriguez
- On Research and Writing: The Growing Niches of the Saber-Sphere
- Adam Dunn and the DH
- This Year's All-Star Travesty: Matt Joyce's Snub
- The Bautista: A Visual Look at Homerun Paces
- What Are the Biggest Rivalries in Baseball?
- Saber-Friendly Tip #3: On Decimals
- The Quest for 81: Bad Bounces in Birdland
- Madison Bumgarner's Bum Start
- Roy Oswalt's Back Scare
- The Worst in the Majors
- Is Fenway Helping Or Hurting Adrian Gonzalez?
- Jason Bay's Missing (But Reemerging?) Power
- Appreciating Derek Jeter
- Holy Cow, Mike Trout!
- The 2011 All-Flub Team
- Mets Trade Francisco Rodriguez to Brewers
- Why The Cardinals Can't Trade Colby Rasmus
- Ryan Howard and the RBI
- The Short and Simple SIERA Primer
- Assorted Trade Rumor Thoughts
- Deadline Recap: Against The Ubaldo Jimenez Trade
- Visualizing Edwin Jackson's Trade History
- David Ortiz's Contract Complaints
- Why Strikeouts Stink
- Mariano Rivera and Age: Which Side Is Losing?
- Triple Play Trivia and Oddities
- The Shutdown (and Meltdown) Relievers of 2011
- How Should We Measure Power?
- Mike Gonzalez Traded to Rangers
- Over and Undervalued Power Hitters
- Defining Valuable
- Mark Reynolds Is Horri-Bad at Defense
- Matt Moore: Tampa Bay's Best Ever Pitching Prospect
- The "Moneyball" Kerfuffle
- The Best Reliever of All-Time, Mariano Rivera
- The Evolution of David "Tinkerbell" Price
- In Sickness and in Health
- Yankees Shouldn't Take It Easy On The Rays
- ALDS Preview: Rangers-Rays
- When Park Factors Attack
- Statistical Scouting: Ian Kennedy vs. Yovani Gallardo
- ALCS Statistical Scouting: Scherzer vs. Holland
- NLCS Statistical Scouting: Jackson vs. Marcum
- ALCS Scouting: Harrison vs. Porcello
- NLCS Scouting: Gallardo vs. Carpenter
- Game Preview: Chris Carpenter vs. C.J. Wilson
- WS Scouting: Colby Lewis vs. Jaime Garcia
- Game 7 Preview: Chris Carpenter vs. Matt Harrison
- Why David Price Might Get Traded Before Shields
- Jose Reyes: Three Year Deal Candidate?
- Nolan Ryan Prefers Mitch Moreland to Albert Pujols?
- Mark Trumbo's Uncertain Future
- Projecting Park Effects: The Marlins' New Stadium
- The Neglected: The Best Non-MVP AL Players
- Visualizing the CBA's Impact on Draft Spending
- David DeJesus Signs With Cubs, Epstein
- C.J. Wilson, Mark Buehrle, and The Manic Marlins
- Matt Moore, The Most Valuable Trade Chip In Baseball?
- Rolling The Hard Six In Miami
- Bottom of the Barrel Relievers
- Nick Punto to Sign with Boston
- Derek Holland, Rangers Talking Extension
- FanGraphs Glossary: The Winter Cleaning
- Should The Nationals Sign Prince Fielder?
- How the Cubs-Padres Trade Affects Fielder
- Welcome to The Trop, Luke Scott
- "Aggressive Right to the Point of Stupidity"
- Reasons to Be Wary of Carlos Pena
- You Can't Measure Heart, or David Eckstein Bows Out
- Brandon Morrow's Left On Base Blues
- Russ Canzler, Dan Johnson, and the Quad-A Label
- The Surprisingly Robust Starting Pitching Market
- Asdrubal Cabrera, Indians Talking Extension
- Todd Coffey Signs With Dodgers
- Orioles Trade Jeremy Guthrie For...Huh?
- Yankees Pursue Ibanez, But What About Damon?
- Solving The Rays' Rotation Crunch
- Good Luck Shopping A.J. Burnett, Yanks
- Why Do The Pirates Want A.J. Burnett?
- Oakland Signs Yoenis Cespedes, Creates Outfield Surplus
- Zach Britton Still Injured, O's Revamping Pitching Philosophy
- Contract Extension Comps for Adam Jones
- Gary Carter: The World Loses a Smile
- Matt Moore Unleashed: What Should We Expect?
- Glen Perkins Signs Extension with Twins
- FanGraphs Library Update
- Jeremy Hellickson and Re-Defining BABIP
- 2012 Organizational Rankings: #10 – Tampa Bay
- FanGraphs Library Expansion
- Can't Shake Jake (Arrieta)
- Adjusting Linear Weights for Extreme Environments
- Linear Weights + BaseRuns = Good
- Team-Specific Hitter Values by Markov
- BABIP Park Factors and the Batted Ball Connection
- An Unsolicited Follow-Up Study of Pull%
- wRC+ and Handedness: The Importance of Being Lefty
- Randomness, Stabilization, & Regression
- Better Match-Up Data: Forecasting Strikeout Rate
- Batter-Pitcher Matchups Part 2: Expected Matchup K%
- Could Chris Davis Match Roger Maris?
- Batted Ball Types and Handedness Matchups, in General
- Reviewing the Preseason Standings Projections
- Simulating the Impact of Pitcher Inconsistency
- Why Strikeouts Secretly Matter for Batters
- More Fun with Markov: Custom Run Expectancies
- Tool: Basically Every Pitching Stat Correlation
- Tool Version 2: Pitching Correlations with Improved Filtering
- The Blade Is Back: Adventures in Bad Sequels
- The "Food Metaphors" Tag Is Resurrected
- Dayton Moore's "Process" Revealed
- FanGraphs Staff ottoneu Draft: Thoughts on Day One
- Ottoneu Resource: ZiPS Draft Tiers and Potential Bargains
- ottoneu Trade: When Should You Trade Youth?
- What is WAR?
- wRC and wRC+
- Regression to the Mean
- OPS and OPS+
- Win Probability
- GB%, LD%, FB%
- GB%, LD%, FB%
- Win Expectancy
- What is PITCHF/x?
- Sample Size
- Pitch Type Linear Weights
- Plate Discipline (O-Swing%, Z-Swing%, etc.)
- K% and BB%
- Strikeout and Walk Rates
- Linear Weights
- Projection Systems
- Counting vs. Rate Statistics
- Pythagorean Win-Loss
- Converting Runs to Wins
- Replacement Level
- Positional Adjustment
- Park Factors
- League Equivalencies
- Aging Curve
- On-base Plus Slugging (OPS)
- Welcome to the Library!
- Suggestions and Questions
- Statistic Percentile Charts
- TZ / TZL
- What Is the FanGraphs Library, and How Do I Use It?
- Heat Maps: What They Show, and Mistakes to Avoid
- Understanding Projections, "True Talent Level", and Variability
- Left On Base Percentage (LOB%): A Video Explanation
- The Projection Rundown: The Basics on Marcels, ZiPS, CAIRO, Oliver, and the Rest
- "Sabermetrics for Dummies": Mainstream Media Style
- Food Metaphors, Replacement Level Style
- Pitchers and Injuries: It Happens
- The Curious Case of Ben Zobrist
- Contract Details
- Player Options
- New Library Section: Contract Details
- Service Time
- SD / MD
- ERA- / FIP- / xFIP-
- Plate Discipline (O-Swing%, Z-Swing%, etc.)
- Pitch Type Linear Weights
- Salary Arbitration
- Super Two
- Draft Pick Compensation
- Luxury Tax
- Revenue Sharing
- Catcher Defense
- fWAR and rWAR
- WAR for Pitchers
- WAR Misconceptions
- WAR for Position Players
- Pitch Type Abbreviations & Classifications
- FanGraphs Library Stat Glossary
- The Power of Expectations
- Projecting BABIP Using Batted Ball Data
- BABIP and Innings Pitched (Plus, Explaining Popups)
- Introducing BERA: Another ERA Estimator to Confuse You All
- Chain Reaction: What Happens When Ryan Braun Gets Cut
After the Ryan Braun suspension was announced, the most common question I got from ottoneu players was what to do with their $45, $50 or even $60 shares in Braun. No value left this year, but what
- Image: Ryan Braun Celebrates Thing Somebody Else Did
More important, though, was Ryan Braun's celebration of the play, pictured below.
(Click to embiggen, of course)
Again, this picture is but another reason to watch the video linked above
- Raw, Raw Audio: Ryan Braun Batting Practice Explosion
When the BBWAA admitted the present author to its ranks, what they likely had in mind is that he'd produce high-quality content like that which follows -- namely, a 20-second audio clip of Ryan Braun
- REPORT: MLB's Ryan Braun to Suspend from A Rod
- Ryan Braun and Type I vs. Type II Error
I’ll echo Dave Cameron and start by saying I do not know if Ryan Braun cheated. What we do know is that he will not be facing a suspension based on his October 2011 drug test. The independent
- The Daily Grind: Jim Abbott, Chen, Velasquez, Steve Holt!
- Life Lessons with the 2012 Milwaukee Brewers, Part 1: Ryan Braun
Ryan Braun is in the news for all kinds of naughty things he did and put into himself in order to be a better, more productive, healthier baseball player. Ultimately, I’m glad that he’s being
- One of the Lesser Brauns
On Monday, the Brewers released a multitude of minor leaguers, including Steve Braun, a 25-year-old second baseman out of the University of Maryland. In three minor league stints